Type keyword(s) to search

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I was going to call this "Man of Steel 2: The Untitled Cavill/Affleck/Gadot Project," but Warner Bros. finally announced the name.  Personally, I'm psyched for it: I don't think Affleck is a horrible choice, and I'm not about to start complaining that Gal Gadot needs to spend more time with a Mark Eden gadget to play Wonder Woman, because that's just insipid IMHO.  My biggest fear is that they'll carry all the "The Dark Knight Returns" references to their logical conclusion and Affleck's Batman won't be sticking around for more films.

With all the info that's leaking out bit by bit, one Twitter shot after another, we may want to have a "what's actually a spoiler" discussion.  Personally, I don't want to know any plot, and I'd rather not see things like the leaked Batmobile photo that prompted the project's DP to respond, "someone's going to be fired."  But the shots of Gal last week didn't really spoil anything, and of course Zack Snyder's Bat-photos were meant to be seen by all (or at least the Leica product placement in the Tweet was ;) .

So who else is psyched/filled with dread/etc.?

-----------------------------------

Official Synopsis:

Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs.  And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.

Cast:

Ben Affleck : Bruce Wayne / The Batman

Henry Cavill : Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman

Amy Adams : Lois Lane

Jesse Eisenberg : Lex Luthor

Diane Lane : Martha Kent

Laurence Fishburne : Perry White

Jeremy Irons : Alfred Pennyworth

Holly Hunter : Senator Finch

Gal Gadot : Diana Prince / Wonder Woman

Official site.

Edited by MarkHB
Added synopsis and cast

Well I was looking forward to it, because I think Ben Affleck will make a great Batman.

But then I finally watched Man of Steel. Jesus, what a steaming pile of shit that movie is. Henry Cavill is the least super Superman I've ever seen (yeah, he makes Routh and Cain look good!). Sure, he's got the physique, but he's utterly devoid of anything approaching charisma or personality, and monosyllables his way through the movie with a fixed expression of bafflement on his face.

But really, the worst thing is Zack Snyder's direction. All sound and fury, signifying nothing. Lots of loud noises, explosions and CGI, and none of it feels like it services the plot so much as the director thought, 'that'll look awesome!'. And even worse, it doesn't look awesome. None of it looks real. Big spaceships blowing things up and getting blown up, and the characters fighting one another is like something out of a videogame. No visceral punch or impact to anything, just pixels shooting around the screen. The Green Lantern movie was better than this shit!

So I have no faith whatsoever in Zack Snyder's ability to craft a worthwhile movie. And no faith in DC's ability to produce one, given their track record and their determination to hire hacks like this guy.

• Love 1

But really, the worst thing is Zack Snyder's direction. All sound and fury, signifying nothing. Lots of loud noises, explosions and CGI, and none of it feels like it services the plot so much as the director thought, 'that'll look awesome!'. And even worse, it doesn't look awesome. None of it looks real. Big spaceships blowing things up and getting blown up, and the characters fighting one another is like something out of a videogame. No visceral punch or impact to anything, just pixels shooting around the screen. The Green Lantern movie was better than this shit!

So I have no faith whatsoever in Zack Snyder's ability to craft a worthwhile movie. And no faith in DC's ability to produce one, given their track record and their determination to hire hacks like this guy.

I had the same problem with man of steel. I finally watched it last weekend and while I liked some of the concepts (like the whole thing about how proof of an alien would really change the world). But there was too much Zack Snyder flash to it. Like annoying close ups of clocks or that whole dream sequence where Superman was sinking in the skulls. I just found it all irritating and kind of distracting. I can only imagine what kind of "symbolic" crap he will add for Batman.

I am not too thrilled about Momoa. I watched him on Game of Thrones and he is a big guy and looks like he can win a fight and that is all I can say about him. His acting ability leaves much to be desired. They should have just called this movie Superman -The test for Justice Leauge.  How much time will be really devoted to Clark/Superman and his life and relationships? 

I will still watch it but I will see Captain America 3 first. 

(edited)

I am not too thrilled about Momoa. I watched him on Game of Thrones and he is a big guy and looks like he can win a fight and that is all I can say about him. His acting ability leaves much to be desired. They should have just called this movie Superman -The test for Justice Leauge.  How much time will be really devoted to Clark/Superman and his life and relationships? 

I will still watch it but I will see Captain America 3 first. 

I think they've decided that this isn't really Man of Steel 2;

there is a new Superman movie down the road in the recently-leaked roadmap; I'm guessing that leads off Phase 2

.  This really is "Superman-leads-into-Justice-League".

Momoa will be an Aquaman fit for the days when he had one of his arms replaced with a harpoon.  If they want to make the genial blonde Arthur Curry into a badass who can order giant squid and great white sharks around, they have gone to the right place.

With the rumored (manic) DCCU film schedule that leaked in the past few days, my dream after-credits sequence for BvS is (spoiler-tagged for those who have avoided that scheduling possible-spoiler).

We see a cavernous place with the tag: Location: Unknown.  There is an old, bearded man on an elevated throne and another male standing on the floor.

Old man: "Speak my name!"

Cut to: view of the other male, who we see is a young boy about 12 or 13 years old.  He is obviously frightened, and can just tremble and stammer.

Cut to: view of the old man

Old man: "Billy Batson, speak my name!" (SFX: a bit of reverb on this line)

Cut to: Billy, still frightened, who gets it together just enough to shout...

Billy: SHAZAM!

SFX: Billy is stricken by a bolt of lightning accompanied by an enormous thunderclap.  As the glow from the lightning fades, we fade directly to black.

Edited by MarkHB

I'm actually looking forward to this very much (disclaimer: in my comics collecting days I was a DC zombie and have not seen any Marvel movie released in the past 10 years).  Super-fanboy hope would be that we hear that some filming for the Justice League followup will take place in Cincinnati.

I don't know why they're bothering to call this a Superman Sequel. Just admit it and say you're releasing a Justice League movie already.

I don't think they are anymore; it's the next piece of the story, and it will have Superman in it in a major way, but it's not really Man of Steel 2... with that title, it's the setup for Justice League.  Plus, the Jason Momoa thing is still just a rumor, albeit an astonishingly persistent one.

I can't shake the feeling that they cast Momoa just so Marvel can't have him for Namor.

If that's the case, I'm glad. I don't rate Momoa much, and I love Namor. Whoever ends up playing him in a movie needs more charm and grace than Jason Momoa has shown me. To go with one of Khal Drogo's former cast mates, I reckon Nikolai Coster-Waldau is more the sort of performer they should be looking at. He's got the charisma to embody the King of Atlantis.

If they wanted to go younger, I have no clue who they could ever cast.

(edited)

I watched The Lego Movie today...and it's a pity we can't have Will Arnett's Lego Batman instead of Ben Affleck.  Hee.

I'd rather see a Joseph Gordon Levitt Nightwing movie.

Or that.  Yeah, I'd definitely go to that.  My friend and I were really upset about that wasted opportunity.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I watched The Lego Movie today...and it's a pity we can't have Will Arnett's Lego Batman instead of Ben Affleck.  Hee.

Or that.  Yeah, I'd definitely go to that.  My friend and I were really upset about that wasted opportunity.

Bruce Wayne?  Who's that?  Sounds like a great guy!  :D

So far as the JGL Nightwing movie goes, he's apparently on his own DC project: making Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  In the meantime, have you seen this? ;)

• Love 3

I doubt we'll see much Momoa in this movie; just enough to set up the character.  Hopefully we'll get to see Gal Gadot in costume, though!

Love the recent story about Amy Adams giving up her first class airplane seat to a soldier.

(edited)

Zack Snyder interview!

Note: it also includes the first new pic of Cavill as Superman.

The director can't say exactly how the relationship between the two superheroes evolves, "but suffice it to say there is a 'v' in between their names" in the movie title, Snyder says. He explains that having the "v" instead of "vs." is a way "to keep it from being a straight 'versus' movie, even in the most subtle way."

Snyder's only done a few scenes so far with Cavill and Affleck together, but the historical significance isn't lost on him, he says. "It's never really been done and it's kinda cool."

Similarly, Snyder also knows that putting the iconic superheroine Wonder Woman on a movie screen is a big deal, too. He says he hasn't filmed any scenes with Gadot as the Amazonian princess yet, but "she's working out and getting buff and ripped."

Edited by MarkHB

I have to say this is the most strangely casted super hero movie I've ever seen. They either cast people that can't act or look nothing like their comic counterpart. In what universe does a blonde haired Arthur Curry look like Jason Momoa? 

They will never compete with Marvel that way. So it looks like it will still be DC having Batman and Marvel having a bunch of connected super hero movies for years to come. 

• Love 1

These aren't my pics, so I won't embed them, but...

This Aquaman could be played by Justin Hartley.  Or, for that matter, Rick Schroeder.

OTOH, This Aquaman could easily be played by Jason Momoa.  Particularly if they invoke this thing called "Clairol" on his hair.

Of course, Momoa is still just a rumor; they've leaked a few new cast members, but he's not one of them.  Hopefully there will be some answers at SDCC in a few weeks.

I don't think it would make much sense for a non-White actor to have blonde hair in a movie, even though Momoa might have enough Caucasian ancestry to pull it off.

Also, I don't think Aquaman is as iconic as the other characters, so in my opinion it is not too important to cast someone who looks like him.

(edited)

I'm FREAKING out! Gal Gadot looks amazing!!

mROkMLC.jpg

Eh.  Xena.   I don't hate it, and i don't know what else they could do, but I am underwhelmed. 

Edited by midge
  • Love 1
(edited)

@AzureOwl, various clips of the teaser are online now, and that pic appears to be legit.

Zack Snyder's tweet of the WW photo is here, and it includes an imgur link to a really, really hi def version (2670 x 4000).  Personally, I love the way they not only incorporated the eagle breastplate, but also the Perez-era nested "W" logo in the area of her belt.

So far as the rebar at the bottom of the photo goes, I'm fanwanking it away and saying that she's on Mustafar, ready to fight Super Jedi:

BtRI0EpCEAAJBKu.jpg

Edited by MarkHB

I was hoping for the Adrianne Palicki costume. That one was perfect.

Eh, I thought the Adrianne Palicki costume was awful. So shiny! This one looks a bit more Xena but I think that's a good thing, because at least she's not wearing a star-spangled skirt or a slip or a biker jacket. I forgot what they want to do with her backstory, but she looks more like an actual amazon than another normal person made their own costume - character.

• Love 1

So, I'm supposed to be all excited that Superman and Wonder Woman are fairly "young" and Batman is this older, weary, whatever before or just as this movie is a starting point for the Justice League movie? When Batman was not in his 50s when he was in the League?

Yes, yes, Superman ages a lot more slowly because he's an alien, and Diana is made from clay...whatever.

The look  of Batman is totally Miller's Dark Knight Returns when Batman/Bruce is supposed to be in his mid 50s, and yes, I know that Ben isn't.

I'm not doing any OMG! Soooo excited, because I'm just not. And that trailer left me very underwhelmed.  They should have looked for a younger Batman.

So, I'm supposed to be all excited that Superman and Wonder Woman are fairly "young" and Batman is this older, weary, whatever before or just as this movie is a starting point for the Justice League movie? When Batman was not in his 50s when he was in the League?

Yes, yes, Superman ages a lot more slowly because he's an alien, and Diana is made from clay...whatever.

The look  of Batman is totally Miller's Dark Knight Returns when Batman/Bruce is supposed to be in his mid 50s, and yes, I know that Ben isn't.

I'm not doing any OMG! Soooo excited, because I'm just not. And that trailer left me very underwhelmed.  They should have looked for a younger Batman.

That is sort of the problem I have always with the whole new idea of movie/comic book universes. I mean if you start adding more characters, unless they are new super heroes I am going to be asking "where were they when this happened". If in this movie Batman and Wonder Woman show up I am going to be wondering where they were when an alien force invaded the earth and basically destroyed an entire city. Hopefully they will have a good explanation. Of course Marvel will have the same issue to deal with as they add new characters (where were they during the battle of NY).

• Love 1
(edited)

"where were they during the battle of NY?"

Doctor Strange was in surgery and Ant-Man was enmeshed in a web of apathy and acrimony.  :)

I can guess: Batman thought better of getting directly involved in a fight between two Kryptonians and Diana's people weren't ready to engage in man's world until after the advent of Superman.  GL, OTOH, is another question; if they keep some semblance of the Ryan Reynolds film in-continuity (which seems possible given some comments by The Rock as to why he wasn't John Stewart) then maybe he was on Oa?

Edited by MarkHB

I can guess: Batman thought better of getting directly involved in a fight between two Kryptonians and Diana's people weren't ready to engage in man's world until after the advent of Superman.  GL, OTOH, is another question; if they keep some semblance of the Ryan Reynolds film in-continuity (which seems possible given some comments by The Rock as to why he wasn't John Stewart) then maybe he was on Oa?

And I would be totally fine with those explanations, I just want them to have some kind of line or something explaining why. Especially for batman because if the dude is a big enough deal to be in the justice league then I assume he is not going to just be some dude beating up muggers in back alleys. Sure he might not want to get directly involved, but how about trying to save people when buildings are about to fall on them?

It may be that Batman wasn't set up to act against Kryptonian-level technology and powers at the time of the first movie. All the action from Zod's message onward took place over a single day, didn't it? So, no advance prep time, it's Metropolis getting pancaked rather than Gotham, and the US Military was already stepping in with the weapons and materials available at the time.

What he's ready for after a couple years of planning might be entirely different.

What he's ready for after a couple years of planning might be entirely different.

That could actually be interesting to explore. How batman goes from basically a local guy with a cool car who fights local threats to a dude with a jet who can deal with threats world wide. A few years of planning after realizing an alien invasion could happen at any time would be a great motivator.