Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: 7.1

Empress1
  • Start Topic

A massive earthquake rocks Los Angeles, and the first responders rush to rescue victims from a crumbling high-rise hotel both under the rubble and high above the ground. Athena must deal with wreckage from a collapsed freeway overpass and Maddie is thrown into the fire as she faces her first crisis as a 911 dispatcher. In the second half, the first responders deal with the fallout of the earthquake. Athena tries to keep the peace as Bobby and team rescue victims from a collapsing hotel.

Jeez, this show only has 10 episodes, how long is this earthquake going on for? I have to admit that I am liking this season more than the last one.

I hope Eddie's son is okay. I don't know why he didn't make the truck stop by the school to make sure. I wonder if Bobby knows Eddie's son has cerebral palsy, I noticed how he was listening when Eddie talked to Buck about him.

I know that Athena is tough, but she could have gone a little easier on the teen car thief. Guess, she was going for tough love.

I wasn't crying for the perverted guy who went through the window.

• Love 11

As soon as the perverted robe guy showed up, I was like "oh, you are so dead, buddy." Not exactly crying for his perverted ass. 

Wow, this whole three episodes are all attached? Thats quite a bit for a ten episode season! At least the earthquake gives them a lot of stuff to do, and a sense of urgency. Lots of lose ends to tie up now. Hen, the missing girl, Eddies son, Athena and the teen car jacker, etc. Gonna be a busy episode next week! 

I worry that the young car jacker will get seriously injured or killed next week trying to help someone, and Athena will feel all angsty and guilty about it. She was sure tough with him, even after the quake. I guess nothing else was working to get him to stop though. 

Felt bad for the high school basketball player, and the family looking for their kid. I wonder if they find the kid because the dog will be barking? I kept expecting them to find picky snotty lady, maybe next week? They introduced so many characters, complete with cute kids and high level assholes, it really did feel like a 70s disaster movie!

What is up with the early 00s pop rock songs this season in the soundtrack? Not mad about it (they make me very nostalgic for my middle/high school school days!) just curious. 

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I kept expecting them to find picky snotty lady, maybe next week?

They did. There was a scene where they showed red high heels attached to a body crushed underneath the rubble, I'm assuming it was her. Hen touched her leg, felt that it was cold, and then Bobby drew the X on top of the rubble.

1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

If they kill off Hen, I swear.

They better not!

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6

So, is this earthquake stuff going to be the theme of the entire season? Not that I think they'd have each episode of this season be the emergency response teams saving people in various locations, but I do like when seasons have an arc, so the earthquake being an arc could be fun. I felt more for this episode than the premiere. It was a little more wacky with heart. 

Good riddance to pervert rich guy. 

I did feel for the different civilians in danger, so they did a good job at establishing a short backstory with each person. I felt for the family looking for their daughter, the high school basketball player, and even the guy trapped under the car. 

I wasn't invested in the 911 center stuff. I feel like they didn't do much with it last season, which annoyed me, so it feels awkward to have it being essentially introduced here with basically all new characters. 

This certainly ended on a cliffhanger. I think Henrietta will survive, but I wonder if she'll have any lasting injuries. It's possible, though we all saw Chimney heal up from a freaking rebar through his skull. Eddie will likely be fine and he'll likely save the woman. Now, the question is if his son is one of the ones missing from the school. My bet is on yes. 

Also, speaking of Eddie and his son Christopher, congratulations show on making Eddie marginally more interesting for me. Hearing Eddie describe the baby mama as "not in the picture" makes it seem like she's alive but some asshole who likely chose to leave her family. Which, I guess we'll get some sort of parallels with Eddie's ex and Maddie's ex, to a certain extent. 

Overall, I'm much more invested so far this season than I was last season. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Jeez, this show only has 10 episodes, how long is this earthquake going on for? I have to admit that I am liking this season more than the last one.

This season has 16 episodes last I checked.

I know that Athena is tough, but she could have gone a little easier on the teen car thief. Guess, she was going for tough love.

I thought she was pretty kind with him, especially at the end.  If he had been able to "hero" his way out of his trouble, he could end up in more trouble down the line.  I thought her final words to him were pretty great.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, is this earthquake stuff going to be the theme of the entire season?

I think the first three episodes are considered a three-parter so I don't expect it'll be a theme throughout the whole season.

I didn't see the red heels.  Bummer.  Do we think her dog is with the daughter? 

• Love 5

Man this show has changed, they spend the first third of the show getting you to know the victims so that you feel sorry for them when the tragedy hits.  I blame "This Is Us" for all this touchy-feely BS that is invading TV shows right now. If this was the first episode, you wouldn't know who were the regulars and who were the guests as everybody was given equal time. All the 911 operators, police and firefighters are extremely competent at their jobs, no horseplay or joking around. They all sound like a cross between a Wikipedia page and an inspirational poster. They sucked all the fun out of the show, too bad the pervy CEO's robe didn't open up as he fell to his death which was caught by every news camera in the city. Here hoping the dog enjoys his new home with the little girl after Hen rescues them. At least Ryan Murphy still knows what type of people America hates with the deaths of the perverted CEO and the person who wants to be accompanied everywhere by a emotional support/service animal. They used to show 6 to 10 rescues a show and still have time for the rescuers to have more problems than the people they were saving. I think now all of the rescuers will be fine upstanding pillars of the community and this show becomes just like all the other cop/firefighter shows on TV.

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Thanks. I didn't know this. I think I bailed after the first three or four episodes last season. The earthquake drama is a little much, but it is probably fine if it lasts three episodes. I am not worried about Hen. I am sure she will survive.

I didn't realize that the red shoes was the obnoxious woman with the dog. Hopefully, the dog is still with the little girl and they survive. I kept getting distracted by the actor who played the girl's father. He was in the movie, Jeeps Creepers and I keep flashing back to his head on the creature.

Edited by SimoneS
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Man this show has changed, they spend the first third of the show getting you to know the victims so that you feel sorry for them when the tragedy hits.  I blame "This Is Us" for all this touchy-feely BS that is invading TV shows right now. If this was the first episode, you wouldn't know who were the regulars and who were the guests as everybody was given equal time. All the 911 operators, police and firefighters are extremely competent at their jobs, no horseplay or joking around. They all sound like a cross between a Wikipedia page and an inspirational poster. They sucked all the fun out of the show, too bad the pervy CEO's robe didn't open up as he fell to his death which was caught by every news camera in the city. Here hoping the dog enjoys his new home with the little girl after Hen rescues them. At least Ryan Murphy still knows what type of people America hates with the deaths of the perverted CEO and the person who wants to be accompanied everywhere by a emotional support/service animal. They used to show 6 to 10 rescues a show and still have time for the rescuers to have more problems than the people they were saving. I think now all of the rescuers will be fine upstanding pillars of the community and this show becomes just like all the other cop/firefighter shows on TV.

Jack Webb did the same thing on Emergency! when they did two hour special TV movies. Normally he introduced younger paramedics as if the show was made to let Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe know that they were replaceable. 

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

To be fair, these 3 episodes are a little different in that it's centered around the earthquake mainly.

• Love 3

For some reason, Buck saying he loved kids struck me as so cute.

Did they change the kid who plays Athena and Michael's daughter?

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought she was pretty kind with him, especially at the end.  If he had been able to "hero" his way out of his trouble, he could end up in more trouble down the line.  I thought her final words to him were pretty great.

I think the first three episodes are considered a three-parter so I don't expect it'll be a theme throughout the whole season.

I didn't see the red heels.  Bummer.  Do we think her dog is with the daughter? 

The daughter was holding the dog under the table when the earthquake hit - she'd strayed away from her family to pet it.

I found it very refreshing that Bobby was just like, "Look kid, this is bad, I won't lie to you." It's the kind of bedside manner I'd respond to. I initially thought the kid was going to be awake when they cut off his leg and I'd have been like "FUCK THAT" if it had been suggested to me.

• Love 7

The fourth episode of the season is called "Awful People," so I'm confident after their big 3-part premiere we'll get back to the great wackadoo stuff we're used to. As long as Hen's okay, I'm all for it!

The CG was really good on this episode, too. That hotel looked terrifying! So did the bridge just falling out from under everyone.

• Love 6

I'm assuming the snooty dog lady with the red heels being crushed was a reference to the Wizard of Oz. 

I hope Eddie's backstory is he is a single dad who has a son with CP. It's relatable and not a typical TV show cliche.

I'm sure Hen will survive. 

On a vain note, Angela Bassett looks awesome! JLH needs some bangs. And what's with her character needing to read off a cheat sheet of medical questions? She was an ER nurse; I would think she would already know what to ask immediately.

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I hope Eddie's backstory is he is a single dad who has a son with CP. It's relatable and not a typical TV show cliche.

That seems to be where they are headed.  Though, knowing this show, in about 2 episodes, he and Maddie will meet and start chatting on the phone during emergencies. and wind up dating.

Edited by Hannah Lee
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

The daughter was holding the dog under the table when the earthquake hit - she'd strayed away from her family to pet it.

I found it very refreshing that Bobby was just like, "Look kid, this is bad, I won't lie to you." It's the kind of bedside manner I'd respond to.

IIRC, the daughter was heading to the rest room (mom & dad chatted about how her going alone made her feel "grown up" ) and saw the dog along the way.

Also, note to self, if ever in a big building in  CA and a dog starts whining and bolts for the door I'm going to beat feet right behind it.

Empress, I completely agree with you about Bobby.  I like someone saying "this is bad and it could get worse" and then "here's what we're going to do about it"  Much better than Buck's "I'm sure your son is fine" comment to Eddie.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I'm assuming the snooty dog lady with the red heels being crushed was a reference to the Wizard of Oz. 

I'm sure Hen will survive. 

On a vain note, Angela Bassett looks awesome! JLH needs some bangs. And what's with her character needing to read off a cheat sheet of medical questions? She was an ER nurse; I would think she would already know what to ask immediately.

Oz! I missed that! Lol!

Being with an abuser/controlling type totally destroys self confidence. She probably has not worked in an ER for quite some time and didn't think she'd remember.

• Love 5

Yeah, if nothing else, having JLH as a new employee at the call center will hopefully allow us to get to know some of the call center people beyond the main character, and see more of how it works, the way we do with everyone else, with a new person learning the ropes. 

• Love 8

I'm more worried about the dog than anyone else, but that's just me. I hope he's OK!

Overall I thought this was pretty good, if a little over the top. I mean with a monstrous disaster like this, they easily could fashion a whole season around it. Buildings collapsed, bridges fallen . . . that's an awful lot of city-wide destruction. It would take years to clean it all up and there would be ongoing fallout from it.

They're trying to shorthand the idea that Eddie is a good guy, heart of gold type. I mean first of all, a single father - check. Double down, the kid has a disability. Check, and check. We already have Buck to play the part of the man whore who sleeps with a different woman every episode so we don't need another one of those. But they might be going a little overboard hitting us over the head with how great Eddie is. He already proved last week he's practically qualified to run a hospital. And he was in the armed forces! And got a Silver Star! What's next? Sainthood? 

• Love 3
On 9/24/2018 at 10:22 PM, bilgistic said:

This show is so bonkers and I am still and always here for it!

The dispatch center trainer was so dramatic!

Preach! It's like my dirty little secret that I don't advertise I watch, but I also don't miss an episode. 

• Love 1
On 9/24/2018 at 9:07 PM, bilgistic said:

While I'm not sad the CEO died, the interior designer(?) now won't be able to tell what he did to her. People won't believe her. Oh, wait...

Now that he's dead, it really doesn't matter.  She goes back and says "Yeah, he LOVED these plans -- full steam ahead!"

On 9/25/2018 at 8:29 AM, juliet73 said:

And her little dog, too!  (Now I'm thinking that Toto was Dorothy's "emotional support dog"!!!)

• Love 5

I enjoyed this episode except for the glaring error of how the arrested car thief was handled.  He was handcuffed in the front and never patted down!  Huge error.  Then she releases him to hot wire the truck and re handcuffs him in the front again without searching him again!!   Totally took me out of the moment.  

I kept asking myself Don't they have any technical consultants on the show to tell them how real police, fire and 911 professionals handle calls??  Apparently not.  

Small note - I actually thought JLH sold the fear of taking that first call really well. I got butterflies watching it. It made me feel the nervousness I've felt every time I had to take the first call, help the first customer, etc at new jobs when I was younger. And the calls at a 911 dispatch would be so much higher stakes than those jobs!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Small note - I actually thought JLH sold the fear of taking that first call really well. I got butterflies watching it. It made me feel the nervousness I've felt every time I had to take the first call, help the first customer, etc at new jobs when I was younger. And the calls at a 911 dispatch would be so much higher stakes than those jobs!

I thought it was pathetic. I hope that as the season goes someone dies because of her mistakes, it would be realistic as Maddie is totally unfit for the job just as JLH is unfit for the acting industry.
Btw if she wants to say pretentious quotes at the end of each episode (like she did in the previous one) she should at least give some credit to the writers of Criminal Minds. CM has been doing this for 14 years and JLH knows it damn well, she was in the show for a brief period of time.

Edited by Blackbird999999lol
just Bc

Oh! Forgot to mention, another line I liked. When Peter Krause was telling the crew that it was up to them whether they wanted to go inside the building and someone pointed out to Hen that she has a son, she said, "And if he was in trouble, I hope the person whose job it was to save him wouldn't hesitate, either," or something to that effect. I thought that was a great sentiment, very in character, and emblematic of the attitude of service that many real first responders have.

Edited by auntiemel
Because "the" and "to" might both start with "t" but they are not, in fact, the same word. :)
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Me too. I don't understand the hate towards her. 

Lots of shows do quotes at the end and it's not like JLH wrote the show. Good lord.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Oh! Forgot to mention, another line I liked. When Peter Krause was telling the crew that it was up to them whether they wanted to go inside the building and someone pointed out the Hen that she has a son, she said, "And if he was in trouble, I hope the person whose job it was to save him wouldn't hesitate, either," or something to that effect. I thought that was a great sentiment, very in character, and emblematic of the attitude of service that many real first responders have.

That was a GREAT response.

• Love 5

I also thought JLH did a decent job showing the anxiety over taking that first call. I know some people thought it was unnecessary for her to start going through the checklist, but if that's the first call she's ever taking, it makes perfect sense she was going to go completely by the book. The person training her is sitting right there and she's nervous. It'll take time before she can just know what to do. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Court said:

Me too. I don't understand the hate towards her. 

Lots of shows do quotes at the end and it's not like JLH wrote the show. Good lord.

she should give some credit to the Criminal Minds writers & the cast in interviews /on instagram. She pretends the show doesn't exist because she's jealous of their succes. Without CM nobody would even know JLH is still alive. She was jobless for half a decade after she left CM, that show was her only claim to fame for a long time.
The CMinds cast & crew were incredibly kind to her and she gave them absolutely nothing in return. 

Mods- Can we have a separate thread for individual character discussion? I saw one for Abby and Bobby and Athena and Bobby but didn't see one for individual characters.

Overall, I thought the setup for this episode was pretty typical but I loved the sets they had to build for the leaning hotel. It must have been a pretty fun episode to work on.

I didn't know it was a three episode storyline so I was frustrated by the cliffhanger ending. I'm not a fan of using cliffhangers as a plot device in general. I'm looking forward to wrapping up this plotline.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Mods- Can we have a separate thread for individual character discussion? I saw one for Abby and Bobby and Athena and Bobby but didn't see one for individual characters.

I'm not a moderator, but I know that you can create a thread yourself. Go to the main 9-1-1 forum page. Click the "Start" button to the right under the show name and then fill out the form that appears on the next page. Once you submit it, the new thread will appear in the list.

• Love 1

I'm liking this show more this season and am loving the addition of Eddie.  Not only is he easy on the eyes, his backstory is shaping up to be interesting and the introduction of his son lit up a warm spot in my usually cold heart.  Kuddos to the writers for adding a dad and kid who are dealing with the real-life issue of living with a disability.  The boy is a cutie too.

I can just hear the writers discussing the casting of this episode, "Ok, we need to get a pudgy Harvey Weinstein type and put him in a bathrobe."  Good storyline for the rescue but a bit of an anvil casting-wise.

I was in the Northridge earthquake so the whole thing brought up some bad memories altogether.  I guarantee a 7.1 magnitude would do a lot more damage than they were able to portray on the screen and would shut down the entire Greater Los Angeles area for months.  All things considered, the show did a good job.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, limecoke said:

I was in the Northridge earthquake so the whole thing brought up some bad memories altogether.  I guarantee a 7.1 magnitude would do a lot more damage than they were able to portray on the screen and would shut down the entire Greater Los Angeles area for months.  All things considered, the show did a good job.

If you watch the cars during the earthquake scene at the hotel, none of them seemed to be affected.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:00 AM, Blackbird999999lol said:

she should give some credit to the Criminal Minds writers & the cast in interviews /on instagram. She pretends the show doesn't exist because she's jealous of their succes. Without CM nobody would even know JLH is still alive. She was jobless for half a decade after she left CM, that show was her only claim to fame for a long time.
The CMinds cast & crew were incredibly kind to her and she gave them absolutely nothing in return. 

Whatever your personal opinion of the actress, she does not write the show.   

I have no idea her history on CM (I can never make it through a whole episode of that show...any time I tried it, the way the show fetishized violence and the disturbed mind of the criminals they focused on put me off)  But it's a completely different show, with a completely different premise on a completely different network. 

We wouldn't expect Peter Krause to bring up Six Feet Under or Parenthood in every interview about 9-1-1 and wouldn't expect Angela Basset to bring up Black Panther or AHS in every interview about 9-1-1, so I wouldn't expect JLH to talk about her former projects in interviews for this show either.   (And also, while I don't have any details on this, I can imagine FOX / the 9-1-1 producers would not encourage the cast to bring up competing shows that are currently airing on competing networks during promo interviews for this show)

• Love 11
On 9/24/2018 at 8:44 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Overall, I'm much more invested so far this season than I was last season. 

Me too.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:29 AM, juliet73 said:

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, if nothing else, having JLH as a new employee at the call center will hopefully allow us to get to know some of the call center people beyond the main character, and see more of how it works, the way we do with everyone else, with a new person learning the ropes. 

I work with dispatchers, but have never really seen what they do (except when I've made calls myself), I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. Plus I liked snarky guy who got all serious when it was time to be serious.

• Love 9

I just watched a rerun of this episode last night.  It was new to me, since I just got turned on to this series.  I really like it. LOVE seeing Nate, I mean Bobby Nash.  Something about that man......Does  anyone know his rank.  Nothing I could find online said, though he seemed like the supervisor of the squad. 

Something about this show vaguely reminds me of an old show called Emergency.  Anyone recall that?  It was set in LA in the 70's.  

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just watched a rerun of this episode last night.  It was new to me, since I just got turned on to this series.  I really like it. LOVE seeing Nate, I mean Bobby Nash.  Something about that man......Does  anyone know his rank.  Nothing I could find online said, though he seemed like the supervisor of the squad. 

Something about this show vaguely reminds me of an old show called Emergency.  Anyone recall that?  It was set in LA in the 70's.  

Emergency, being a Jack Webb production was a near documentary compared to how 9-1-1 started.  It focused on the then new concept of Firefighter/Paramedics of the Los Angeles County Fire Department. The thread on this board may be archived by now. Every time it gets new post we often fear an obituary is being posted.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Bobby Nash.  Something about that man......Does  anyone know his rank.

Bobby is a Captain, and does run the house.

36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Watched that all the time growing up, and caught it when it was on Antenna TV (I think) a couple of years back.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Bobby is a Captain, and does run the house.

Watched that all the time growing up, and caught it when it was on Antenna TV (I think) a couple of years back.

Emergency is on COZI's Saturday afternoons now. 

• Love 3