Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, peach said:

Apparently, Chandler also cut his hair, so....

And Kit Harrington cut his hair ....sooo. I'm just saying that might not mean anything.

Maybe that's the shocking twist. Carl cuts his hair, after the hat is destroyed :P . RIP Carl's Hat and Hair.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Other than myself, does anyone care if he dies?

I do because it's another waste of a decent character who had a slightly different arc.  Seth Gilliam is a good actor and Father Gabriel was interesting to me. 

But you know, gotta make room for Jadis and long haired savior and other awful characters.

• Love 9

Gabriel at least has the potential to be interesting if the show would take the time to actually do something with him.  And he's played by a competent actor, which does matter on this show.

I'd rather keep him around than any of the least half dozen characters I'm now actively hostile to or can't tell apart.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, raven said:

I do because it's another waste of a decent character who had a slightly different arc.  Seth Gilliam is a good actor and Father Gabriel was interesting to me. 

But you know, gotta make room for Jadis and long haired savior and other awful characters.

Oh don't get me wrong I like the actor and have enjoyed the person journey of Father Gabriel - unlike certain fan faves *cough*daryl*coughcough* who've been on since the beginning and have little to no character development. I just think with all the hype surrounding this "shocking and emotional" MSF the only way they could truly accomplish the "moment every one will talk about" is by killing off CORAL! and/or Rick (is Rick still alive in the comic?)

Could the Shocking Moment have something to do with Morgan leaving for FTWD?  Maybe he somehow causes the demise of whoever.

Damn I've been snowed in all day watching the marathon on AMC trying to guess.

22 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Gabriel at least has the potential to be interesting if the show would take the time to actually do something with him.  And he's played by a competent actor, which does matter on this show.

I'd rather keep him around than any of the least half dozen characters I'm now actively hostile to or can't tell apart.

Same here. I like him, too. Carl would be the most shocking, had I not been reading spoilers for the past month or two. He apparently cut his hair into a mullet, for a film, and that was why he was wearing a baseball cap. His hair looked a lot shorter recently, though. 

50 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

And Kit Harrington cut his hair ....sooo. I'm just saying that might not mean anything.

Maybe that's the shocking twist. Carl cuts his hair, after the hat is destroyed :P . RIP Carl's Hat and Hair.

Works for me. Please, please, please, please, please, please, please.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, raven said:

He’s grown on me too, but unfortunately the writers haven’t given him much to do, so he’s easier to lose.  But I’d far rather lose Tara, Daryl, Jesus, and the long haired savior who looks like Axel Rose and Sebastian Bach’s backwoods cousin.  And Maggie.  Eugene.  And at least a dozen others. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I just think with all the hype surrounding this "shocking and emotional" MSF the only way they could truly accomplish the "moment every one will talk about" is by killing off CORAL! and/or Rick (is Rick still alive in the comic?)

I agree about the SHOCK and EMOTION they are trying to sell us, that if only Gabriel were to die, that doesn't exactly fit the description.  Plus on yahoo there was one of those blurbs they want you to click about "shocking msf on TWD" or some such, with the picture of Carl and Enid holding hands and a sub-article about "Carl's best moments". 

Either a complete misdirect or not very subtle, I can't decide and lean more towards what bits we've had leak out about Carl are true.

I'm pretty sure Rick is still alive in the comics though I gave them up when Negan came on the scene.

I don't want to lose Gabriel so it better not be him.  Or Dwight. I like his being a traitor to Negan. Simon and Gregory are entertaining villains too.

I'm prepared, though not happy, to lose Carl, so if this is all misdirection and someone else bites it instead (ha) I'll be pissed. Unless its Eugene or Tara. I'll cheer on the savior who takes one of them out. 

Yes, I think Rick is still alive in the comics, not that it means much. But I think his death will come in the last season, whenever that is. Not yet. Though with Carl likely dying, I wonder if Rick might survive the series. I always thought he would die to pass the torch to Carl, but now...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Other than myself, does anyone care if he dies? Sounds pretty anticlimactic.

I care.

2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Seth is more than a competent actor and in the company he keeps on TWD, he's a BRILLIANT actor.  SG is the last surviving member of Kirkman's 'The Wire' collection of Black actors that he and Gimple have given absolutely nothing to work with and who mostly turned shit into gold.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Could the Shocking Moment have something to do with Morgan leaving for FTWD?  Maybe he somehow causes the demise of whoever.

Damn I've been snowed in all day watching the marathon on AMC trying to guess.

Morgan is in the back half of the season.  That was given away on Talking Dead when they announced the cross over.  And Coral will be a guest on the first TD after the MSP.

• Love 1

It was Gimple's decision to kill Carl, not Chandler's.

(putting this here since it just happened and people are debating in the ep thread)

I'm taking a gap year right now to focus on acting for a while. Leaving Walking Dead wasn't my decision. It was all story related. It made sense story-wise for it to happen for Rick and Michonne and all the other characters.

When did you find out?

I was planning on going to college until I found out. I found out when I was doing rehearsals for episode six back in June. It was quite the shocker for me, Andy and everyone because I don't think anyone saw it coming. It's definitely not a bad thing because it has been awesome being on the show but now I get to go and do a lot of other stuff that I haven't gotten to do before. Scott wanted to meet in person because it was such a big deal. We had just finished rehearsing for a scene in episode six and he wanted to meet with me and my mom and dad and talk about what's going to happen.

4 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

That part about the reason Carl had to die was because Gimple was trying to figure out how to go from Rick wanting to kill Negan to not wanting to kill Negan and instead keep him prisoner is going to go over really well.

Are there really people out there that would rather keep Negan on this show instead of Carl? This shit makes absolutely no sense to me. Flames on the side of my face.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

That part about the reason Carl had to die was because Gimple was trying to figure out how to go from Rick wanting to kill Negan to not wanting to kill Negan and instead keep him prisoner is going to go over really well.

I don't get it.  Is it because he's thinking Carl wouldn't want him to kill Negan? Cause I think he totally would?

• Love 2

Gimple is a fucking moron.  It makes me a little sad to read that Chandler was looking forward to comic material, he had bought a house, etc.  Of course now he says "it's totally cool, I'm doing all this other stuff".

I mean, it's not the end of the world for Chandler, LOL, but from a story telling perspective, it's dumb.  Gimple is desperate and couldn't think of anything else IMO.

• Love 6
Just now, catrox14 said:

I don't get it.  Is it because he's thinking Carl wouldn't want him to kill Negan? Cause I think he totally would?

That's because it doesn't make any sense.  It sounds like they can't drop Negan and they know it didn't make any sense to keep him around in the comics either.  So they used the only plausible reason Rick would make that call, Carl.  They didn't worry about it not making sense for Carl to hold that POV.

It sounds like the MSP will be Carl extracting a promise from Rick not to kill Negan and then shooting himself in the head.

4 minutes ago, raven said:

Gimple is a fucking moron.  It makes me a little sad to read that Chandler was looking forward to comic material, he had bought a house, etc.  Of course now he says "it's totally cool, I'm doing all this other stuff".

I mean, it's not the end of the world for him, LOL, but from a story telling perspective, it's dumb.  Gimple is desperate and couldn't think of anything else IMO.

The one nice thing about this is that I think Chandler Riggs is being 1000X more candid about this than Gimple would want him to be. Ha. Ha.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Is this Stranger Things?  Are we in the Upside Down?  This idea is absolutely flabbergasting.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

It's so ridiculous. They know Rick sparing Negan makes zero sense and their solution is to turn Carl into a humanitarian before killing him to somehow justify it? Hey, here's a thought: Kill Negan.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I had figured that Riggs wanted off the show, and that given that, they were going to use that as a way to explain Rick not killing Negan.  Kind of like if life gives you lemons, make lemonade - making the best of a bad situation.  But if this is Gimple's idea for a solution, I just don't have the words.  I think it's a huge mistake.

Carl's absence leaves a big void in that there is no male role of that age on the show now.  Not to mention Carl was pretty instrumental in the Whisperers storyline.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

That's because it doesn't make any sense.  It sounds like they can't drop Negan and they know it didn't make any sense to keep him around in the comics either.  So they used the only plausible reason Rick would make that call, Carl.  They didn't worry about it not making sense for Carl to hold that POV.

It sounds like the MSP will be Carl extracting a promise from Rick not to kill Negan and then shooting himself in the head.

The one nice thing about this is that I think Chandler Riggs is being 1000X more candid about this than Gimple would want him to be. Ha. Ha.

Wonder if Kirkman would even allow them to kill Negan early even if they wanted to on the TV side.

Since Negan has been around a long time as a character in the comics.

They may also have given the actor a big deal, anticipating that he'd be a popular character.

Instead, the ratings have been going down since he appeared.  Not to say he caused the decline but if the decline started before he appeared, he certainly didn't reverse it.

It's like a baseball team giving a free agent player a big contract with all the money guaranteed and that player fails to perform.  But there's so much money tied up with that player's contract that the team has to keep playing him no matter how bad he makes the team.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, scrb said:

Wonder if Kirkman would even allow them to kill Negan early even if they wanted to on the TV side.

Its kind of puzzling that Kirkman would allow them to deviate from the comics to the point of killing off Carl.

It makes me wonder if there  is some truth to the spec in that article that Andrew Lincoln might voluntarily leave the show.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

It makes me wonder if there  is some truth to the spec in that article that Andrew Lincoln might voluntarily leave the show.

I wouldn't be surprised. I mean he thought Carl would live on. So IMO story wise, I could see Rick offing himself after Carl dies. Maybe he dies by the end of this season.

6 hours ago, peach said:

It's beyond idiotic.  If Rick wants to become a peacenik, fine, but kill Negan first and then be a peacenik and spare most of the rest of them.  

Season 8 is just one facepalm moment after another.  Rick's plan is stupid, Daryl's departure from the plan is even more stupid, and Gimple is just the human embodiment of a slimy, quivering blob of stupid.  I get depressed when I think what Darabont could have done with this show.

• Love 5

I thought the silver lining in this dark cloud of a show might be that, since Carl's interaction with Negan is a big part of the comics, with Carl dead it might mean that Negan was going to die, too. Apparently not. There is no reason for Rick to keep Negan alive. And even if there was, someone else would kill him. I would like to see Rick tell Negan "I promised my son that I wouldn't kill you, and I will keep that promise. Daryl, you kill him."

• Love 4

Wow, Gimple really does not learn. I stopped watching this show regularly at the beginning of Season 6 because of my frustration with the writing. Still, I keep up (bad habits die hard) on the show thanks to you fine folks and your excellent snark, hoping that, with the ratings tanking, the writing might actually get better since they can no longer take their viewers for granted.  Guess not.

I have no idea how Carl dying drives Rick or Michonne's forward, and not in the good way.  Crazytown!Rick talks to ghosts and will kill you using his teeth, so not computing how Carl's death is going to keep Negan alive.  I would think it would make him more homicidal. Meanwhile, from the comments, it seems like the bloated cast of thousands continues, and they spend no time focusing on characters viewers actually care about (Who the hell is Neil, by the way?). From the live chat thread comments, it seemed like there was a ton of Savior talking and tertiary characters, while Rick, Michonne, Carol, and Morgan, were MIA without explanation for most of the extra-long episode. If they killed off Tara, Eugene, Jesus, Enid, Rosita, the trash lady, and all the other dead weight in the "series regular" cast, and actually focused on the core cast, the episodes would probably be more well-received. It's very difficult to care about main characters that only show up for 3-4 episodes out of 16 every season. 

• Love 8

I have not watched the show since midseason 7. I have been following this thread and the live-viewing threads. I stopped following the live-viewing threads two episodes ago, because even reading the stupid direction that the show has taken is infuriating. To hear that Gimple, Nicotero, et al. are peddling this shit gleefully is also annoying. Sad to read that my decision to let this show go was the right one.

• Love 3

Reading about the decision making of this makes it even worse.  Big red flags are flying all over the place that it makes not a single lick of sense to keep Negan around (Look at what he did 30 seconds after Eugene apparently hand waved them all free.) and that it makes even less sense than that that Rick who has been telling everyone and his dog that he WILL kill Negan despite failing to do so on multiple occasions will suddenly decide to keep him around as some ode to Carl/fun house mirror Carl replacement.  If the writing in the comic rightfully doesn't make sense without doing something that pretty much negates the seven seasons and the character motivations that came before it, there's your tip that maybe you shouldn't adapt it as is.  Pull up your big boy pants and tell Kirkman that so sorry, keeping Negan around longterm on the page simply doesn't work for TV.  Other adaptations do it all the time.

Gah, I just can't with this.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

It's beyond idiotic.  If Rick wants to become a peacenik, fine, but kill Negan first and then be a peacenik and spare most of the rest of them.  

Season 8 is just one facepalm moment after another.  Rick's plan is stupid, Daryl's departure from the plan is even more stupid, and Gimple is just the human embodiment of a slimy, quivering blob of stupid.  I get depressed when I think what Darabont could have done with this show.

Plan is dumb too.  Nobody was watching the Saviors?

How did the Saviors get rid of the walkers without getting noticed by the watch posts notifying the people?

And then as soon as Rick discovered that the Saviors got out, why did it take him so long to get back to Alexandria?  Instead he arrives well after all three camps were conquered, without much shots exchanged.

They want to milk Negan the character and this war for awhile.

Then afterwards, they're going to see another group they have to fight and the show will reset the rinse and repeat cycle.

All that stuff Carl talked about the way forward without killing?  Is that Gimple trolling the fans or are they going to shake it up after they finish with the Negan seasons?

Edited by scrb
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, scrb said:

Plan is dumb too.  Nobody was watching the Saviors?

How did the Saviors get rid of the walkers without getting noticed by the watch posts notifying the people?

And then as soon as Rick discovered that the Saviors got out, why did it take him so long to get back to Alexandria?  Instead he arrives well after all three camps were conquered, without much shots exchanged.

They want to milk Negan the character and this war for awhile.

Then afterwards, they're going to see another group they have to fight and the show will reset the rinse and repeat cycle.

All that stuff Carl talked about the way forward without killing?  Is that Gimple trolling the fans or are they going to shake it up after they finish with the Negan seasons?

Never mind it’s yet another damn home destroyed.  I suppose the tron people died so they could eventually move in.  Of course after they vanquish Negan in season 32.  Then they can move their thin sleeping bags over, because of course Negan burned their fucking beds.

Maybe Carl doesn't die? Here's my thinking:

Carl was in the old man Rick flash forward.

Con - Doesn't prove anything, Glenn and Abe were in one, too.

Pro - The song playing in the background was "Another One Rides the Bus". The phrase, put on a bus, is used when a cast member leaves a TV series with the possibility of returning.

On the Talking Dead, that weasel Gimble couldn't bring himself to say Carl was going to die.

Pro - Maybe because Carl doesn't die.

Con - Gimble is a weasel.

How can Carl survive? Deus ex Helicopter. That helicopter we saw lands. The people in it say they come from a place that has or is working on a cure. Sorry, only room for one person to go with them. Carl. Maybe he returns later, maybe not.

I should point out that my prediction rate for shows is nearly 100% wrong.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Not only is it backwards and insane that Rick wouldn't kill Negan, wtf would CARL suddenly get the pacifist stick, too?  Why would he think any of this.  Carl was always good at showing mercy to people who deserved it and fucking KILLING their actual enemies.  He has actually been the most balanced.  but no, Dad, when I die, just let the sadist go who burned our village out.

• Love 6

I've about had it with people randomly deciding NOT to kill. It never works. Remember when they didn't go back and kill the Termites? How did that work out for Bob? Carl has never been one to let people go who were deserving of death. He's been through too much. That's not his character. Or, apparently it is based on the writing. (and Morgan, and Jesus, and whoever needs to be PacifistOfTheWeek)

• Love 7

Wouldn't Negan saving Carl be a more logical plot point to change Rick from Die Negan Die to OK I'll put you in prison and let you monologue for the rest of your life?

They actually already had the setup for it since Negan has shown and interest/fondness for Carl. Plus wouldn't having Negan/Rick playing "crazy daddy" and dad to Carl be a lot more interesting and give Negan a reason to keep monologuing?

I'm glad I quit watching regularly after the Glenn fakeout because this just screams of writers being creatively bankrupt and just going to the kill some character for shock value

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

The problem is that this show always proves the pacifist characters wrong. And the audience has learned the lesson already a thousand times over. So not only do those pacifist characters look stupid to us, they look stupid to the main characters (aka Team Rick) because they have also learned over and over where it leads. It seems like every Season one or two characters need to play pacifist, sometimes for no reason at all (like Jesus because that came out of nowhere) but usually just because of plot. I thought at least Morgan made sense in a way because he was still just as insane as when he was 'clearing' and his pacifism was simply his lifeline not to go crazy in the other direction again. And they made it a point that his pacifism doesn't work when you are in a community that needs protecting, that you will kill when forced to make a choice where there is no other way. So in the end it was useless really because you can only practice pacifism when you are by yourself.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wouldn't Negan saving Carl be a more logical plot point to change Rick from Die Negan Die to OK I'll put you in prison and let you monologue for the rest of your life?

They actually already had the setup for it since Negan has shown and interest/fondness for Carl. Plus wouldn't having Negan/Rick playing "crazy daddy" and dad to Carl be a lot more interesting and give Negan a reason to keep monologuing?

I'm glad I quit watching regularly after the Glenn fakeout because this just screams of writers being creatively bankrupt and just going to the kill some character for shock value

The fact that Carl and Negan have that relationship makes me wonder if writing Carl off the show was kind of a last minute thing in spite of what may come out. Like, they were setting up a relationship with those two that now will never see a finish. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

Maybe Carl doesn't die? Here's my thinking:

Carl was in the old man Rick flash forward.

Con - Doesn't prove anything, Glenn and Abe were in one, too.

Pro - The song playing in the background was "Another One Rides the Bus". The phrase, put on a bus, is used when a cast member leaves a TV series with the possibility of returning.

On the Talking Dead, that weasel Gimble couldn't bring himself to say Carl was going to die.

Pro - Maybe because Carl doesn't die.

Con - Gimble is a weasel.

How can Carl survive? Deus ex Helicopter. That helicopter we saw lands. The people in it say they come from a place that has or is working on a cure. Sorry, only room for one person to go with them. Carl. Maybe he returns later, maybe not.

I should point out that my prediction rate for shows is nearly 100% wrong.

It’s not a bad one, though.  The odds of Carl being the first to survive the virus aren’t that bad, compared with zombies happening.  There is precedent for Carl to be a carrier, but not succumb to it.  

Also , though the CDC blew up, we still would have USAMRID.  Which I believe is in the D.C. area.

this would actually be more believable than Glenn rolling under a dumpster 6 inches off the ground, and IMO, a good storyline. At very least Coral could be a helper zombie, like in “Warm bodies”. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, mandolin said:

The fact that Carl and Negan have that relationship makes me wonder if writing Carl off the show was kind of a last minute thing in spite of what may come out. Like, they were setting up a relationship with those two that now will never see a finish. 

They'll give the Carl/Negan material to Daryl. All other character arcs must be sacrificed to the altar of Daryl Dixon.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, mandolin said:

It has to be a last minute thing. CR and his father were surprised. And I don't really understand it in light of the comics where they have a blueprint for the Carl/Negan thing. Btw are we allowed to mention comic stuff in here? I'm not very clear on that.

27 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

It’s not a bad one, though.  The odds of Carl being the first to survive the virus aren’t that bad, compared with zombies happening.  There is precedent for Carl to be a carrier, but not succumb to it.

Has anyone seen CR filming for the second half of the Season? It seems unlikely though considering the message from CR's father who was as surprised as anyone. So unless they have everyone trolling us and it turns out Carl is actually immune in some way, Carl is gone.

• Love 1

You can't choose to be a pacifist in this world.  Rick cracked that they're not going to be picking strawberries.

TPTB chose to depict a dog-eat-dog world where there are plenty of old vintage film cameras from the '60s (but no smart phones) but food and other daily essentials are scarce and people choose to fight over them, instead of cooperating, oh I don't know, to try to find a cure, to connect with other survivor groups in the region.

So the characters can't decide to become pacifists, unless they want to be killed or subjugated into slavery.

But TPTB can change this world and the direction of the series, tell a different story than this survivalist, torture porn, repetitive tale that it has become.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Also , though the CDC blew up, we still would have USAMRID.  Which I believe is in the D.C. area.

this would actually be more believable than Glenn rolling under a dumpster 6 inches off the ground, and IMO, a good storyline. At very least Coral could be a helper zombie, like in “Warm bodies”. 

Maybe when his eye got shot out, it took out some brain matter that activates it.  But judging from Chandler's dad's response to all this, he's really going to be dead.

It took 8 episodes to get thru a couple days of "war"_ so it could take 8 more for Carl to actually expire.  And Maggie still won't have a bump.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, peach said:

It took 8 episodes to get thru a couple days of "war"_ so it could take 8 more for Carl to actually expire.  And Maggie still won't have a bump.

Pretty much this. Chandler did make sound like we will be seeing Carl throughout the rest of the season.

Carl is dying and will be dead. No miracle recovery. Accept it. 

Edited by SimoneS