Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ, right.  I was immediately thinking of the Maine/Missouri Compromise, and I said Missouri thinking maybe it split off from Mississippi, But, then, I thought, no you idiot, Maine split off from Mass.  You're from New England. Use your head.

I got all the Beatles songs wrong.  And, I don't care.  I got all the alliterations right so they cancel each other out.

1 minute ago, dcalley said:

I gasped out loud when Challenger was a stand-and-stare.

I thought Challenger was too late for Sally Ride, so I said Atlantis instead.  I think a lot of us associate the Challenger with blowing up more than anything else.

• Love 1

I didn't make it to New England in my thought processes, and I have no idea which states became states when (except Delaware was the first, and Hawaii was the last), so no clue for FJ for me tonight! 

But I did get the TS of Challenger (surprising TS!), outrigger (another surprising TS!), libel (thought I toyed with slander first), Malory, and peripheral (yet another surprising TS!).

And I was surprised to hear end guy call it Ayer's Rock -- I haven't heard it called anything except Uluru in years and years.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I did get the TS of Challenger (surprising TS!), outrigger (another surprising TS!), libel (thought I toyed with slander first), Malory, and peripheral (yet another surprising TS!).

I said treason instead of slander.  Guess I'm too WikiLeaks immersed at the moment.  And, I said Thomas Marlowe and then hit myself when the answer was reveled, because gosh darn it, I knew that.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought Challenger was too late for Sally Ride, so I said Atlantis instead.  I think a lot of us associate the Challenger with blowing up more than anything else.

Hm, it's possible I read through the clue too quickly but still got it right!

• Love 1

Ha! I am feeling so vindicated right now. I just decided yesterday to make Americana my main focus of study in case of a future Jeopardy appearance. I started today with reading my 5th grader's history textbook, and tonight's FJ was from today's reading! *happy dance*

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ellie looks so much like a friend of mine, who is a teacher, that I spent much of the game tripped out.

I also spent a fair bit of time surprised:  the missed DD of libel, Paul Allen, peripheral, and outrigger as TS, and no one at least guessing Alps and limestone given the clues and pictures.  I knew Challenger was going to be a TS, but I still groaned when proven right.  The space program is something people need to study before appearing on this show.  With a Little Help From My Friends really surprised me as a TS after two of them bungled it, but maybe by then Ellie had confused herself and just didn't want to touch it.  And I wouldn’t have given credit to the contestant who added a word from the lyrics that isn’t part of the title; the category asked for the titles, not any old collection of lyrics surrounding the quoted material one wants to chime in with.

Maybe I'm just cranky because next week will be so melanin- and estrogen-deprived.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said treason instead of slander.  Guess I'm too WikiLeaks immersed at the moment. 

Maybe that's my excuse, too, because I mumbled 'treason.'

I did get Challenger, but that was just a guess.

I really didn't know that Seattle's Best Coffee was owned by Starbucks. I thought they were just a Seattle competitor.

Dave guessing American Motors kinda floored me.

I did not get FJ. Not even close.

• Love 3

People are saying they are bored watching James, other than Teebax I have been bored by the Teacher's Tournament....but to be fair I usually don't enjoy any of the Tournaments all that much.  Let's just say that I have not connected with any of the players that made it to the next round...

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

People are saying they are bored watching James, other than Teebax I have been bored by the Teacher's Tournament..

Totally agree!  Aside from Teebax it just feels kind of blah this year.  I miss the clips of the students cheering for their teachers that were shown in previous tournaments.

• Love 2

On the first season of House of Cards, the Underwoods go "home" to Gaffney and Spacey actually has a scene at the Big Ass.  (actually, they call it the Peachoid in S.C.)

I'm with Browncoat on the Uluru thing. I thought that guy was annoying, anyway, for no discernible reason.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I miss the clips of the students cheering for their teachers that were shown in previous tournaments.

Me, too!  Those were a neat, special kind of things for both the teachers and their students.  Maybe they'll do it for the second round?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And I was surprised to hear end guy call it Ayer's Rock -- I haven't heard it called anything except Uluru in years and years.

I decided to cover my bases, I said "Ayers Rock or Uluru."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

It is sad that the tragedy became the understandable primary association for the Challenger, when Sally Ride's achievement on it (first American woman in space) was pretty great.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I really didn't know that Seattle's Best Coffee was owned by Starbucks. I thought they were just a Seattle competitor.

Me neither. I've tried it, and think that Best is overstating it - but then, I'm not fond of Starbucks either.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I mangled Uluru (it came out more like Uhura), but hey, they still give contests points (sometimes) for names of countries that changed 50 years ago.

Speaking of water towers, the town I used to live in had one. They've spiffed it up since I lived there, though to be fair, it was a bit of an eyesore. Used to see it every day coming home from work.

libbys one.jpg

libbys two.jpg

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7

I could have an entire board filled with nothing but lyrics from Beatles songs.  I had them all before Alex finished reading them.

It's strange going back to pre-James numbers of TS (which, I still contend, could just as easily stand for Too Stupid, Three Stooges, or Total Silence).

How embarrassing was it for the one guy to guess American Motors for Chevrolet and Cadillac?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

And I wouldn’t have given credit to the contestant who added a word from the lyrics that isn’t part of the title; the category asked for the titles, not any old collection of lyrics surrounding the quoted material one wants to chime in with.

That's a long-standing rule though. You can add words before or after the title as long as you don't misquote anything.

• Love 3

I think I’m over this Teachers Tournament and I almost never sit out any games. I’ve also found it boring (except for Teebax - and I mean that sincerely!) and, more than that, I have no more patience for the boneheaded wrong answers and enormous number of too-simple-to-be-believed triple stumpers. And aside from that, the majority of the questions are mortifyingly simple - I mean, I’d be horrified (and offended) if I was a teacher and those are the questions I was given to respond to. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Totally agree!  Aside from Teebax it just feels kind of blah this year.  I miss the clips of the students cheering for their teachers that were shown in previous tournaments.

Well, we did just have the All-Stars tournament and a month of James. There is a noticeable lack of energy in this tournament by comparison.

My perusal of the archives reminded me of something I had forgotten - being so annoyed that Julia Collins' run was interrupted by Battle of the Decades. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not knowing many state/city nicknames helped me in that category, I think, because there was no, "wait, I think of [City] as [Nickname]" second-guessing going on.  Almonds?  Primarily grown in CA, so it's Sacramento.  Crabs?  The best come from Maryland, so Annapolis.  Peach?  Georgia Peach, so Atlanta.  The only ones I actually knew as nicknames were Mile High (and that I learned originally by watching football - the Broncos play in Mile High Stadium) and the birthplace of civil rights.

I've lived in Sacramento for 30 years and have never once heard it call the almond capital of anything. Sacramento's nicknames are the Camellia Capital of the World or The Big Tomato.  Sacramento doesn't even rate on the CA Almond Board's map of growers in the state, but someone put it on Wikipedia, so I guess that makes it so.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kerri Okie said:

I've lived in Sacramento for 30 years and have never once heard it call the almond capital of anything. Sacramento's nicknames are the Camellia Capital of the World or The Big Tomato.  Sacramento doesn't even rate on the CA Almond Board's map of growers in the state, but someone put it on Wikipedia, so I guess that makes it so.

I know, I lived in Northern CA for that long, and been to Sacramento many times. The closest I got to it for this question was "well, they do grow a lot of almonds in CA, but I don't think they grow that much in Sacramento."

image.thumb.png.a8ded632bd2606c229ebb73dd9e986a3.png

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, Booklady1017 said:

I admit I never heard of tubular bells.

The Exorcist Theme originated on an album called Tubular Bells and was used as the soundtrack. 

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe I'm just cranky because next week will be so melanin- and estrogen-deprived.

At least we have two women teacher contestants.  

13 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I miss the clips of the students cheering for their teachers that were shown in previous tournaments.

I don't remember seeing any clips of students cheering for their teachers, ever.

Speaking of water towers, this is the one in Oatmeal, Texas.  This isn't one of my pictures, but I have some.

image.png.e195c10b4f83c9266e08d39fd1a2a3cd.png

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

The Exorcist Theme originated on an album called Tubular Bells and was used as the soundtrack. 

Yeah, but other than that one thing ...

The Dallas Symphony Orchestra, among others, lists CHIMES as one of its instruments. You know, those things that look like tubular bells.

17 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't remember seeing any clips of students cheering for their teachers, ever.

You must have been doing something else and missed them.

20 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

At least we have two women teacher contestants.  

Two women made it in, six women did not, out of 15 contestants. All seven men made it to next week.

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I could have an entire board filled with nothing but lyrics from Beatles songs.  I had them all before Alex finished reading them.

It's strange going back to pre-James numbers of TS (which, I still contend, could just as easily stand for Too Stupid, Three Stooges, or Total Silence).

How embarrassing was it for the one guy to guess American Motors for Chevrolet and Cadillac?

The Beatles are my favorite band so I loved that category. I want James back I kept saying James would have known that whenever they missed a question.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I want James back I kept saying James would have known that whenever they missed a question.

I am reminded why players don't go "all in" on DDs and bet conservatively. Watching the tournament, I realize I would not be able to play as James does.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Etta Place said:

That's a long-standing rule though. You can add words before or after the title as long as you don't misquote anything.

I know that.  I said I wouldn't give credit in those situations.  It's what I say every time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Two women made it in, six women did not, out of 15 contestants. All seven men made it to next week.

Well, it's no tlike there's some weird conspiracy.  The questions did not seem overtly sexist to me.  If there were 8 women and 7 men to start out and 6 of the women didn't make it, that's just the way it is.

• Love 7
(edited)

Is this a good time to bring up the "why so many men?" question. It's been bothering me for a long time.

Why are the majority of Jeopardy champs men? The only answer I can think of is that our society systematically stamps out of girls the aggressiveness that is needed to be an amazing player. I know it happened to me. So much emphasis on backing off, smiling, having a sweeter tone in my voice, not being so competitive, and the idea that the reason I couldn't get dates was that boys were intimidated by me. Ugh.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 6

I didn't know final jeopardy on Friday.  Given more time probably would have made it through all the states and might have come up with it. 

I too was surprised by the misses on some pretty easy questions. 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know that.  I said I wouldn't give credit in those situations.  It's what I say every time.

This bugs me too about Song Titles vs. say Book Titles or other Titles (movies).  You add an inconsequential "The" or extra "s" here or there on most titles and its wrong.  You can sing the whole damn song though if you want, as long as the title is in there, they count it. 

Also I think they need to up the reward for the Teacher's Tournament from 100K.  Should be at least 250K.  Same with the college/teen tournaments as well.  For the college and teen tournaments, the 100K after taxes is like one year or a year and a half of college only at some places now. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I am reminded why players don't go "all in" on DDs and bet conservatively. Watching the tournament, I realize I would not be able to play as James does.

Well it is a bit different in a tourney like this though on betting.  Especially in the early games.  You aren't really betting money here, its just a number to keep score, they don't actually win that money with each game.  It doesn't matter if you want by $1 or $50K, the end result is the same, advancing to the next round.  Plus you add in you don't have to even be sure you win in the quarterfinals, you just need to be sure you score enough to make it to the next round.  It changes the better strategy knowing this.  If you have $20K in the double jeopardy round in the quarterfinals, whether you are winning or not, there is almost no incentive to bet big at that point.  You probably have enough to advance.  You should bet small. 

• Love 3
On 5/9/2019 at 9:04 PM, saber5055 said:

Shout out to @opus, even if it was Mr. Holland's Opus, not Primetimer Opus.

I got a kick out of Melissa, she was really invested in this game.

I wish Sara and Conor were next to each other, because ... Sara Conor.

What does a hedgehog have to do with a groundhog? That TS totally went over my head.

I did get H.G.Wells and Time Machine. So GFM.

I got the HG Wells one too.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:49 PM, opus said:

I found that second in alphabetical order category hard. I think the only thing I’d get in there is “of letters of the alphabet “. And even then I’d probably panic and say c

In the alphabet category I knew some of the answers but couldn’t get it quick enough.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:31 PM, saber5055 said:

I've never heard of Atlanta being The Big Peach either, but I got that answer since it's a joke that so many streets are named Peachtree. As for Crabtown, the only thought I had was it must be some place in Nevada where prostitution is legal.

I figured Peach was referring to Atlanta because of the peach and Georgia connection.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

I got FJ, right.  I was immediately thinking of the Maine/Missouri Compromise, and I said Missouri thinking maybe it split off from Mississippi, But, then, I thought, no you idiot, Maine split off from Mass.  You're from New England. Use your head.

I got all the Beatles songs wrong.  And, I don't care.  I got all the alliterations right so they cancel each other out.

I knew FJ with Maine but I almost said Missouri at first.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

The Beatles category was difficult for me.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:32 PM, Katy M said:

I said treason instead of slander.  Guess I'm too WikiLeaks immersed at the moment.  And, I said Thomas Marlowe and then hit myself when the answer was reveled, because gosh darn it, I knew that.

I only knew the Sir Thomas Malory one of the previous TS mentioned.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

If you have $20K in the double jeopardy round in the quarterfinals, whether you are winning or not, there is almost no incentive to bet big at that point.  You probably have enough to advance.  You should bet small. 

I wasn't even thinking in terms of advancing in the tournament, so your point is valid and makes total sense, of course. Looking at past tournaments would give a player an idea of what score could get them to the next round. Me, I was watching these games as regular games post James where there are DDs one might not/probably does not know. If I ever get on this show, I'm hiring you for lessons on betting strategy!

11 hours ago, Etta Place said:

But that’s what confused me about the ruling. I heard the first guy say “I get by with a little help from my friends”. So why was he ruled wrong? That’s the title, with added words.

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

But that’s what confused me about the ruling. I heard the first guy say “I get by with a little help from my friends”. So why was he ruled wrong? That’s the title, with added words.

He forgot "What is..."

• Love 4
On 5/10/2019 at 10:45 PM, catrice2 said:

People are saying they are bored watching James, other than Teebax I have been bored by the Teacher's Tournament....but to be fair I usually don't enjoy any of the Tournaments all that much.  Let's just say that I have not connected with any of the players that made it to the next round...

Agree. I FF to FJ, but will watch the finals so I can be familiar with the champion for the ToC. If I don't forget him/her by then, which is always a possibility 😜

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Agree. I FF to FJ, but will watch the finals so I can be familiar with the champion for the ToC.

You could just find FJ on the NY Times or TheJeopardyFan.com, then you wouldn't have to turn the tv on at all. Saves time.

Me, I still like to hear the clues to see if I can answer them. I don't care who the players are.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 5/11/2019 at 7:17 PM, DrSpaceman said:

This bugs me too about Song Titles vs. say Book Titles or other Titles (movies).  You add an inconsequential "The" or extra "s" here or there on most titles and its wrong.  You can sing the whole damn song though if you want, as long as the title is in there, they count it.

This bothers me a bit as well, although I'm slightly more sympathetic to the current practice.  I think with songs, it's quite possible to hear them very frequently without ever seeing the exact title in print.  That's less likely with books or movies.

For example, that Green Day song with the string solo in the middle, that they play at proms all the time?  It's called "The Time of Your Life," right?  Wrong!  It's called "Good Riddance."  There is no way I could ever possibly have known that, just from hearing it on the radio.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

This bothers me a bit as well, although I'm slightly more sympathetic to the current practice.  I think with songs, it's quite possible to hear them very frequently without ever seeing the exact title in print.  That's less likely with books or movies.

For example, that Green Day song with the string solo in the middle, that they play at proms all the time?  It's called "The Time of Your Life," right?  Wrong!  It's called "Good Riddance."  There is no way I could ever possibly have known that, just from hearing it on the radio.

Some lenience with songs I can see, but they take it overboard. 

But then I think they take it too far with books/movies/etc.  Forgetting "the" in a title or adding an "s", I don't care. 

It seems there is a middle ground for both of them

• Love 2
On 5/12/2019 at 10:44 AM, Bliss said:

Congratulations @teebax - it was truly wonderful watching you play (although I thought you were robbed with "chimes").

In case anyone is interested, here's Alex's latest interview:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-on-his-cancer-diagnosis/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6i&linkId=67283840&fbclid=IwAR1nWmNIaCa5tO9FtjysRaaZ8EC2PvZmI6g_Q_PbLZHkfjBOwinNNVEVd1I

Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't watched much of the tournament so far, other than my own episode. I have not seen any of this week's episodes because I was sick in bed the second day of taping, so I may watch to see how it played out. There was only one person in the tournament who I didn't care for; everyone else was super nice to me, and I'd be happy to see any of them win.

I'm definitely not watching James. I'm very impressed with his ability, especially having played the game and seeing how damn hard that buzzer is to master, but I like games that are competitive.

• Love 10

@teebax, I was going to ask you if you and other tournament players got to stay, or did stay, to watch the final games so you would know the winner, or if ya'll were sequestered or kicked out. (No rudeness intended!)

I hope the one player whom you did not care for isn't the final winner.

Have you kept in contact with the other teachers? It would be interesting to know how they are doing during the showing. It's cool that Tucson is treating you well. I hope your students are duly impressed with your play because I was. Too bad your stress-induced illness (my diagnosis) didn't wait a few days. That was not a good way to end such a fantastic experience.

• Love 4

I'm wondering why Lee Radziwill was not acknowledged correctly as Caroline. That's her real name, but maybe tptb were concerned viewers would think the clue was oddly worded. I dunno. The clue used the word "sisters" in it. Anyway it could be argued that the guy who guessed "Caroline" got  robbed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3