Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 5/15/2019 at 2:02 PM, Trey said:

Have you also read The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters?

I have!  I think I've actually read everything by her....except maybe the last few Amalia Peabodys. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not saying that he IS the guy; I'm just hoping he is, so I'll only have one contestant to beat up on.

Dave is standing next to Teebax in the contestant photo so I'm saying it's not him.

19 hours ago, secnarf said:

Then again, wasn't paying much attention. I'm finding I am missing James' style of play.

I find that the longer people are on, the more I root for them to see how far they can get and what else they can accomplish. I can't wait to get back to seeing what records James is going to break next.

Same.  I've been watching Jeopardy since high school (long time).  We used to watch as a family while we ate dinner.  Funnily enough, my grandparents who lived with us would watch and they also spoke very little English but would get SUPER into it and would be so disappointed when people lost (this and Wheel of Fortune which is on immediately after).

Now we watch as I'm getting my daughter ready for bed.  I can't imagine purposely not watching because James is on and obliterating his competition.  I've watched so many years mostly out of habit.  When something exciting happens that makes history, why wouldn't I watch??

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We laughed so hard. I don't think I've ever seen a funnier interview - except maybe on Graham Norton, but his guests get sloshed.

OMGosh. I just watched it. This is hysterical! First off, who CAN'T laugh when Hader starts giggling? Wonderful interview. Thanks for the heads-up, youse guys.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

OMGosh. I just watched it. This is hysterical! First off, who CAN'T laugh when Hader starts giggling? Wonderful interview. Thanks for the heads-up, youse guys.

I like comedians who easily laugh at things or people other than those they’re involved in.

Thanks for the gimme FJ today, show. I was afraid I was going to have another FJ shutout week.

Edited by SHD
  • Love 4

I got FJ, right.  I also got the entire Bible category.  I got an entire category right in single jeopardy, but I don't remember which one. I kn ow it wasn't European history because I said visigoths.  

• Love 2

Oh, yay!  An instaget FJ for me!  Like @SHD, I was worried I'd be shut out this week, too.

I also got lichen, frontispiece, and Isak Dinesen.  And I wondered if they would have accepted nacre for mother-of-pearl.  They should -- it's the same thing, but who knows what the judges will do on any given day.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And I wondered if they would have accepted nacre for mother-of-pearl. 

Mother of pearl was a clue/answer not long ago, and I said nacre then. So I said mother of pearl this time. However, it's the same thing so points for @Browncoat. (And for me.) If the show had a Clue Police, these dupe clues/answers wouldn't be happening.

Because I create books, I easily got frontispiece and International Standard Book Number. I also got Isak Dinesen, that movie is one of my favorites.

When I saw the FJ category, 20th Century Bestselling Authors, I said well, the answer has to be a man. And I was right!

I liked Sara's interview story and her envelope of Post-Its from her students. That was a great story and tribute to her class. Classy!

• Love 7

My husband and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes at the St. Jerome clue because we have a SIL who has been working on a PhD thesis on St. Jerome's translation for over 7 years. How he's getting away with going more than 7 years on a thesis tis a mystery to us.

• LOL 3
52 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

When I saw the FJ category, 20th Century Bestselling Authors, I said well, the answer has to be a man. And I was right!

When I saw the category, I guessed John Irving.

I ran the disco category and I feel bad about that - LOL.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Good call. I was rattling off Margaret Mitchell and Harper Lee before the clue was revealed.

Is the clue-writing team a bunch of old-fogey men or something? 

5 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Good call. I was rattling off Margaret Mitchell and Harper Lee before the clue was revealed. 

Is the clue-writing team a bunch of old-fogey men or something? 

If the answer had been a woman, the category would have been 20th Century Women Authors, even if the pronoun "she" was used in the clue.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If the answer had been a woman, the category would have been 20th Century Women Authors, even if the pronoun "she" was used in the clue.

Yeah, it's rather obnoxious.

• Love 1

Dear Universe, please do not ever again let me hear Alex Trebek talk about needing some hot stuff, baby, tonight.  Thank you.

What ISBN stands for is apparently not as common knowledge as I thought, because I wasn’t expecting that to be a TS.  Frontispiece, though, I correctly predicted would go unanswered.  Tom Waits as a TS made me sad, but I can't decide if it surprises me.  I figured all three would get FJ, and I think my eyes bugged out a little when Sara didn't get it.

Damn Bible category keeping me from running DJ as I'd run the first round; I hardly ever have a perfect game, and I was on the cusp of one.  Oh, as I finished typing that, I remembered I missed one of the "New" Entertainment clues, too (whatever the first one was; I've already forgotten).  Okay, just insert usual grumbling about it coming up so much more often in the game than any other religious text instead.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, right.  I also got the entire Bible category.  I got an entire category right in single jeopardy, but I don't remember which one. I kn ow it wasn't European history because I said visigoths.  

That was me the other day. You'd think we'd remember the categories we swept, wouldn't you? I did pretty well on today's boards, but I didn't sweep any categories.

Edited by Clanstarling

FJ=instaget. No shutout for me, this week.

I also got lichen.

Anyone else disappointed that the Gritty category wasn't all about this guy?

gritty am2dm GIF by AM to DM

lol He's no Phillie Phanatic, but I kind of love him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What ISBN stands for is apparently not as common knowledge as I thought, because I wasn’t expecting that to be a TS. 

It was news to me.

Tom Waits as a TS made me sad, but I can't decide if it surprises me. 

I knew who it was but couldn't recall his name.

I got FJ, so ... good for me.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, lb60 said:

gritty am2dm GIF by AM to DM

lol He's no Phillie Phanatic, but I kind of love him.

As soon as I saw the category I thought “I hope it’s all about that Flyers mascot!” Seriously!

• Love 1

My DVR didn't record Jeopardy tonight! Boooo.... I guess I'm glad I'm switching cable providers on Sunday (I'm moving, and I am SO unprepared). I did find FJ on YouTube. I thought of Alex Haley instantly. I've neither read nor seen Roots, and I feel like I should do something about that. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Fex said:

My DVR didn't record Jeopardy tonight! Boooo....

Well, mine did BUT our wonderful station that carries Jeopardy ran the first day of last year's Teacher's Tournament Finals! When they showed the first contestant, I wondered who this man was, then when they showed the second one, I recognized him as the winner of last year! Last week, they ran the same episode twice and now this! I didn't watch til late tonight so tomorrow morning I am calling them and asking WHY!(and mentioning they had better not do that when James comes back on!)

Back to watching the whole game rather than FF'ing through to FJ. I got TS of lichen & Blixen (Dinesen). FJ was an instaget even before Alex finished reading the clue, but made easier by not having "woman" in the title. Thanks for the hint, writers 🙄 The disco category was fun, but I couldn't help think that someone like Austin would have done the YMCA hand motions &/or sang the responses that were song lyrics. "Hot Stuff" included. Overall I missed 8 questions; I'm no James, but not too shabby (for me at least).

I loved Sara's students' post-it note clues, and I'm sure they were thrilled that she showed them on TV! I also loved her peach lipstick. 

7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I have!  I think I've actually read everything by her....except maybe the last few Amalia Peabodys. 

I love that series! I just packed them up to take to a charity shop, but I think I will keep them after all. A second read, or maybe one of my kids will want to read them in a few years. Or they may end up at the thrift store after all. My cousin named her now 5-year-old daughter Amelia after Ms Peabody Emerson. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Dear Universe, please do not ever again let me hear Alex Trebek talk about needing some hot stuff, baby, tonight.  Thank you.

IKR? lol 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

My favorites are her two non-fiction books on Ancient Egypt.

ISBN stumped me, but I did know all the disco songs and FJ.

• Love 2

I have a Reddit report. Remember Wednesday's game where the guy kept trying for all the math clues that no one could get and left the women authors category on the board?

He came on Reddit and explained himself. He said he's terrible at literary trivia questions, he had done well in math in the past, the other guys obviously weren't getting the math questions, so he kept trying in hopes of keeping money away from the others and maybe picking up some money himself (he was in 3rd place). He knew in the moment he looked like a misogynist (his word), but he didn't mean it that way at all.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Abstract said:

so he kept trying in hopes of keeping money away from the others and maybe picking up some money himself (he was in 3rd place). He knew in the moment he looked like a misogynist (his word), but he didn't mean it that way at all.

I didn't think he looked like a mysoginist.  Just figured he felt like math was the lesser of two evils (weaknesses).

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't even remember anything about him. Most of the contestants don't make much of an impression on me. They have to be from this forum or super annoying or super cute (I'm shallow) or start winning a lot.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, lb60 said:

You might have seen him, that's MIGHT HAVE, if you had played yesterday's J6.

I actually did think that category would be about the mascot.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, saber5055 said:

In that case, I demand you get more wrong answers. Looking forward to it!

ETA: I cut Dave slack on the facial hair because 1. he's an art teacher; and 2. he's from Montana. Two pluses outweighed the negative.

He's from Wyoming. Let's just say I'm not expecting an invite from him anytime soon. 🙂

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
(edited)
45 minutes ago, teebax said:

He's from Wyoming. Let's just say I'm not expecting an invite from him anytime soon. 🙂

LOL. Right after I posted he was from Montana, I looked again and saw he was from  Wyoming. Since Montana is my favorite state and Wyoming is not, I decided to let my error go and see if anyone caught it. You win!

Your second sentence is curious. Maybe being an art teacher from Wyoming with creepy facial hair is not a good thing.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:57 AM, Clanstarling said:

We laughed so hard. I don't think I've ever seen a funnier interview - except maybe on Graham Norton, but his guests get sloshed.

Graham Norton's guests are also allowed to say whatever they want, using whatever language they want, and the interviews are not solely dictated by whatever movie/book/tv show the guest has just released.  No US prudery on his shows.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Graham Norton's guests are also allowed to say whatever they want, using whatever language they want, and the interviews are not solely dictated by whatever movie/book/tv show the guest has just released.  No US prudery on his shows.

Which is why I love his show. I was raised in fairly inappropriate family, so I appreciate seeing people cut loose.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes at the St. Jerome clue because we have a SIL who has been working on a PhD thesis on St. Jerome's translation for over 7 years. How he's getting away with going more than 7 years on a thesis tis a mystery to us.

Possibly s/he has been given extra time to accommodate the sex-change surgery?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Possibly s/he has been given extra time to accommodate the sex-change surgery?

He's already fathered 7 children, so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. ;-}

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Your second sentence is curious. Maybe being an art teacher from Wyoming with creepy facial hair is not a good thing.

Possibly teebax's cheque has cleared?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Yay, Nat Geo!  Instaget FJ for me today, so at least I got two right this week.  I seem to be on a 2/5 per week roll lately. 

Did my ears deceive me, or did I hear Alex call Sara "Sam"?  That was right before she answered "Metropolitan" instead of "Cosmopolitan", and I suspect being called the wrong name threw her a bit. 

I loved the bacteria category!  I was glad they (finally!) got to it, and I ran it. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yay, Nat Geo!  Instaget FJ for me today, so at least I got two right this week.  I seem to be on a 2/5 per week roll lately. 

Did my ears deceive me, or did I hear Alex call Sara "Sam"?  That was right before she answered "Metropolitan" instead of "Cosmopolitan", and I suspect being called the wrong name threw her a bit. 

I loved the bacteria category!  I was glad they (finally!) got to it, and I ran it. 

Yes, my hubby & I both said "Wait, what did Alex just call her"?...it sounded like Sam.   Just the fact that Alex can stand there & get thru the show knowing that he is in such pain is amazing to me. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't catch it either way, but she knew she was the one being called because she answered, so I doubt that affected her.

For FJ, the first thing that came to my mind was Life magazine which I obviously knew wasn't right.  They've been out of business for many many years.  But, what do I most closely associate with Life?  Time Magazine.  So, that was my answer.  Oh, well.  

I had so many answers tonight that I knew but couldn't get to the front of my brain.  Like Zika.  I remember that was going decimate the population.  And SARS was going to kill us all.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

For FJ, the first thing that came to my mind was Life magazine which I obviously knew wasn't right.  They've been out of business for many many years.

I had the exact same thinking about Life. Then National Geographic came to mind. I don't follow it on Instagram or any SM, but it's known for its photographers and I read articles on its site several times a week. (Great one today about how SM is contributing to the abuse of animals, especially elephants in Thailand.)

Sara must have been one who was stymied by the Math category yesterday since if she had bet FJ wisely, she would be $25,000 richer. I mean, if you are assured of getting $25,000 for third place anyway, why not put it all on the line for a chance at $50,000? That she did not boggled me. I hope she is kicking herself.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I didn't catch it either way, but she knew she was the one being called because she answered, so I doubt that affected her.

I thought she did a double take before responding, like it threw her for a second (understandably so). Given that led to the Metropolitan/Cosmopolitan situation, I was glad that she ended up getting the money after the break.

I found Francois really charming in his low-keyedness and general excellence. I liked all three finalists, actually, but was really pleased Francois won since he was so consistently good.

• Love 3

Well, poo.  I was rooting for Sara, but this was a really good game to close out the tournament.

Sara’s laugh at herself when she answered running back for a hockey clue was great, as was her laugh when it turned out there is a drink and a magazine called Metropolitan and a total brain fart was going to wind up being ruled correct.

I think the only TS that surprised me was folic acid.

FJ was an instaget based on skimming the clue (I read ahead of Alex to buy myself time to answer), then I second-guessed myself with Life before going back in for a close read and seeing the year.

I hope this two-week break has cured my fatigue with runaway games and I get back in the James groove Monday.

• Love 1

FJ wasn't an instaget for me. I first thought about Kodak, but then figured it wasn't popular on Instagram. Suddenly I thought of National Geographic. I was proud of myself, but less so when I see that all the contestants and others here got it.

The TS I got was Poehler.

Francois sure looks familiar to me. I keep thinking he looks like a former Jeopardy contestant.

It's been bugging me how Alex gets Alexa to say the categories. Like tonight it was, "So Alexa, ask Jeopardy for today's Final Jeopardy clue." Saying "Ask Jeopardy," just doesn't sound right.

• Love 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It's been bugging me how Alex gets Alexa to say the categories. Like tonight it was, "So Alexa, ask Jeopardy for today's Final Jeopardy clue." Saying "Ask Jeopardy," just doesn't sound right.

All those Alex asks Alexa segments seemed to be pre-recorded, to avoid any "live" glitches where it pronounced something wrong or outright did the wrong thing.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It's been bugging me how Alex gets Alexa to say the categories.

LOL. Like maybe the voice-over woman gets a script and reads it while the Alexa sits on the table?

I wish Alexa would give the clues all the time just to get rid of the crummy bogus accents the other voice-over person likes to use.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Sara must have been one who was stymied by the Math category yesterday since if she had bet FJ wisely, she would be $25,000 richer. I mean, if you are assured of getting $25,000 for third place anyway, why not put it all on the line for a chance at $50,000? That she did not boggled me. I hope she is kicking herself.

I wanted her to win, but she made such conservative bets that she deserved to come in last. She actually found a DD and then only bet a few thousand. And nothing on FJ? What the heck kind of strategy was that? Can't wait for James return. I'm ready for some bold playing.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

All those Alex asks Alexa segments seemed to be pre-recorded, to avoid any "live" glitches where it pronounced something wrong or outright did the wrong thing.

I despise all those on air promos for Alexa, a product I wouldn't have in my home if you paid me to use it. Keep the damn commercials in the commercials so I can fast forward through them.

• Love 7

We just Marie Kondo’d our apartment and my boyfriend finally donated several boxes of National Geographics to an art organization last weekend when he realized he hadn’t looked at them in over a decade and I told him he could just follow them on IG so FJ was an IG. 

• Love 2