Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Abstract said:

On the other hand, I wonder if this is officially the end of the amateur Jeopardy player. Part of the appeal of Jeopardy has been the idea that any reasonably smart person could at least aspire to winning one day. Now that's not enough. Now you have to combine a lifetime of active studying with the steel nerves of a professional gambler, and oh yeah take a year off work to prep full-time for the show.

It may take a little time to work through the current player pipeline, but I can see that happening.  I guess my dream of winning big on Jeopardy is gone...

Edited by Moose135

Side note: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte is at the Chicago Art Museum. It takes up an entire wall, floor to ceiling almost, and is on a wall between two doors so it's the only painting there.

Ooh Saber5055, I'd love to see that painting in person. Next time I'm in Chicago. . .

I did see Sunday in the Park with George in person. On Broadway. With Mandy Patinkin (be still my heart) and Bernadette Peters. Love me some Sondheim.

When I was a kid, growing up in NYC, my friend Micki and I would do our homework at the Donnell Library, across the street from MOMA. We'd eat lunch in MOMA's garden and, before leaving the museum, study Guernica. We never tired of that wall. . .a masterpiece.

Double Indemnity is one of my favorite noir movies, along with [John Garfield in] The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I did not get FJ (but I bet nothing- heh).

I'm still loving James. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Me three.

btw, Does everybody else have to sign in every damn night in order to "like" a comment and/or post a comment?

I do. Which is annoying, and something I've never had to do, even on TWOP if I recall correctly.  Not just that, but I've noticed that without signing in, I can no longer view new comments. Hence I have to sign in every evening, when normally I just browsed unless I wanted to comment or "like," same as you. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I don't understand how one player instantly giving the correct question stops viewers from playing along at home. The contestants have to wait until Alex reads the entire answer before they can buzz in. Playing at home, I don't have to do that. 

Also, I don’t make myself answer in the form of a question. That saves a second or so.  

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It astounds me that competing players can't grasp what James is doing, and select a $200 clue on a full board when they finally get to win the buzz in and answer something. Those people deserve to lose to James.

Those people are just playing as they have been taught, and are probably too anxious/ stunned/ overwhelmed to make such a course correction on the fly.  How far in advance does Jeopardy tape? Because I’m looking forward to the games when James plays against people who are already familiar with his style— and not just from observing a few games in the studio. Those will be much more competitive games, I think. 

I’m still enjoying his run, though. It’s actually made me tune in every day instead of 2-3 times/ week, to ensure I don’t miss anything significant!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Abstract said:

the other hand, I wonder if this is officially the end of the amateur Jeopardy player. Part of the appeal of Jeopardy has been the idea that any reasonably smart person could at least aspire to winning one day. Now that's not enough. Now you have to combine a lifetime of active studying with the steel nerves of a professional gambler, and oh yeah take a year off work to prep full-time for the show.

The number of people who could do this, would want to do this, have the personality and fit to make it through the interview process and other twists of fate would seem to be minimal at best. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I do. Which is annoying, and something I've never had to do, even on TWOP if I recall correctly.  Not just that, but I've noticed that without signing in, I can no longer view new comments. Hence I have to sign in every evening, when normally I just browsed unless I wanted to comment or "like," same as you. 

Are you using your own computer? There should be a remember me box that you can check.

38 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Also, I don’t make myself answer in the form of a question.

But this is Jeopardy! dammit!  You have to answer in the form of a question. Can we have a civilization here?  😉

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

So if I want to up my game to go on the show I need to read children’s books about the Bible, British royalty, and the periodic table! In other words no clue for final. I mean I knew it was most likely named after Western Europe or North America but had no specific guesses.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

In other words no clue for final. I mean I knew it was most likely named after Western Europe or North America but had no specific guesses.

I answered Americium like the other two contestants, but I thought the atomic number was too low, not that I really knew.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

Are you using your own computer? There should be a remember me box that you can check.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

If getting logged out is something new following the domain switch, there is a thread in the Bugs, Questions, and Suggestions forum with information on what to do.

Thank you...it's actually the opposite....I prefer not being signed in at all, except when I want to comment. I guess it's new domain, new rules. 

I don’t think I’ve had to re-log in on my own computer/device since the changeover.  On my work computer, yes, but I have browsing set to private there, so it doesn’t remember anything.

• Love 2

"Rare earth" meant absolutely nothing to me, nor did the atomic number, so I first thought of Californium for FJ and then settled on Francium. I'd heard of Americium (Mr. Place asked if that was a real element - hey, his PhD is in Math, not Chemistry), but not Europium.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Speaking of, I did get the TS of plebian, and the TS of Double Indemnity. That was a great film noir, with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

I saw that movie recently (in the last few months), knew what it was asking for, and couldn't pull the title up quickly enough.  Such a good movie!  

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

btw, Does everybody else have to sign in every damn night in order to "like" a comment and/or post a comment?

I've had to sign in a couple of times since the switch to Primetimer, but it seems to have "taken" so I haven't had to for at least a week.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Holy cr*p, @Browncoat!

When I saw the category of The Elements, I was hoping for the subject to be rain, or another one of THOSE kinds of elements. But NO. So I came up with the answer of (remember, this is in my head so it's phonetic) ... EUR-ranium. You know, spelled like Europe. Then I spelled it in my head and was like, oh, duh. I guess that's wrong. I've never even heard of the right OR the wrong answers.

I ended up losing today by 13 points to my Evil Self. *sigh* I wish Evil Self would get voted off the island or something. I feel about her like some of you do about James.

Speaking of, I did get the TS of plebian, and the TS of Double Indemnity. That was a great film noir, with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

I got a laugh out of Trebek correcting James' pronunciation of "Jatte" after his answer of Serat's A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. Welcome to Jeopardy, Mr. Holzhauer!

Side note: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte is at the Chicago Art Museum. It takes up an entire wall, floor to ceiling almost, and is on a wall between two doors so it's the only painting there. There are benches in front of it and always people sitting there plus standing to look at it. I don't care for it myself. But that's just MY OPINION!

I just remember it from the movie Ferris Buellers day off.  Ferris, his GF and Cameron stand and stare at it

The Mona Lisa on the other hand is tiny and is always crowded around by people, so its hard to see in person

And da Vinci's the last supper is painted onto a wall. 

Learned all that from stupid facts on facebook. 

So is anyone else upset they didn't explain WHY the one contestant was serenaded as a child by ....was it francis ford coppola, or whichever director?  They just skipped right over how that came to happen, didn't they, or did I miss something in that story?

I did not know FJ  All I could think was Californium, which I knew was wrong

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Side note: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte is at the Chicago Art Museum. It takes up an entire wall, floor to ceiling almost, and is on a wall between two doors so it's the only painting there.

Saber, when did you see it last? I always remember it as being in a "back room" (that is, you entered the door from the stairs, there's a room with impressionists, then you entered a room behind that to see "Sunday"). However, the last time I was there (last year or maybe the year before), they had moved it to that "first room" (that is, you could see it from the top of the stairs). I don't even think it was on a wall, just in the middle of the room. On a related note, if anyone does go to the Art Institute, don't forget to also look for "American Gothic" and "Nighthawks". We don't have signs pointing to where the paintings are, but there are a lot of docents around who know how to direct you.

• Love 3

I've been using a tote bag from the Art Institute with "Sunday..." on it. I've worn out two of 'em and recently started using the third. I tried the Nighthawks tote, but it was made differently and fell apart rather quickly. I got them from the AI's online shop. I *do* want to go see them. I figure it can wait until I'm too old to drive on my Road Trips and I'll take Amtrak to Chicago.

And we recently learned from J! that they cut out Jesus' feet in the Last Supper to install a door!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, adhoc said:

BTW, points to you for saying "That seems to be a tedious waste of time." That's what I'm talking about.

I'm kind of a stickler for that, too. I understand people saying that whatever each poster says here is an opinion, but to my ears saying, "This is terrible," sounds kind of egotistical or self-centered. My BIL will say of food he doesn't like, "This tastes like shit," but in my head I want him to say, "I think this tastes like shit." 

18 hours ago, Driad said:

For FJ, I first thought of americium but I know it's a transuranium element

Indubitably. 🧐

I'm very weak on the periodic table and elements. I tried to work out FJ geographically. I thought of Europe and typed 'European,' then said, "No, that's a person." So I changed it to 'Europian.' I was THISCLOSE.

16 hours ago, Arkay said:

...  but James also couldn't answer a DD right away, although he got it right at the last second. (Unleaded fuel).

This surprised me. I immediately said unleaded. I couldn't figure out what he was thinking about.

I'm irked I didn't get Double Indemnity. For some reason I was thinking they wanted the name of the Fred MacMurray character. 

55 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Saber, when did you see it last?

I was there in September 2016. I don't remember which room it was in as I came upon it during a full day of walking in and out of different rooms. I went to see a special exhibit that featured Hopper, my favorite artist. It was through studying him that I FINALLY conquered oil painting after several years of rather poor instructors. My last year, I was lucky to have an instructor who taught us to see like Hopper. But I digress.

I photographed all the paintings I liked that day. I do not care for Serat so did not take a photo of that painting. I did walk up close to examine the pointillism brush work, and had to step to the side of multiple people fawning over it. I can picture it in my mind, and it was displayed as described. At least in my mind. I know I am not always correct, so if it's been moved again, I guess it really does not matter. Just that the painting is very large, approximately 7 x 10 ft.

The Art Museum is a wonderful place. Too many fabulous things to see, can't do it justice in one day IMO. It's expanded considerably since my first visit many decades ago.

45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I figure it can wait until I'm too old to drive on my Road Trips and I'll take Amtrak to Chicago.

That's a wise decision! I took Amtrak when I went to the Art Museum, it's an easy few-block walk from Union Station straight down Adams. Come back one block south on Jackson and you will find a Garret's Popcorn Shop. That's worth a trip to Chicago in itself. My Amtrak ticket, two hours each way, round trip, cost less than parking in Chicago to say nothing of missing the tolls, almost $30.

8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

This surprised me. I immediately said unleaded. I couldn't figure out what he was thinking about.

Leaded gas obviously was Before His Time! ("Get the lead out!")

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Leaded gas obviously was Before His Time! ("Get the lead out!")

It's not before my time, but I had to struggle a bit with that one too.  For some reason, the specific word "unleaded" would not come to me.  I was thinking, "Lead-free?  That doesn't sound right, somehow."

For what it's worth, back in middle school, when I was learning to write essays and such, putting "In my opinion" into a paper would get it returned with a big red strike mark through it.  The teachers' mantra was, "Don't clutter up your paper with 'In my opinion.'  It's obviously your opinion, or you wouldn't have written it."

So if I ever neglect to explicitly say that something is my opinion, it's because I internalized such things as being wrong a long time ago! 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 4/25/2019 at 2:06 AM, 3 is enough said:

I seem to remember that when Ken Jennings was finally defeated the news did leak out the morning of the day the episode aired.

Just think of the technology/communication/etc. difference between 15 years ago and now. It won't be easy to avoid the news! On the other hand, I think people are more aware of the desire to avoid spoilers now than they were then, and most people will probably not be jerks about it (but there are always jerks).

On 4/25/2019 at 12:16 PM, saber5055 said:

Jeopardy airs at 9:30 a.m. in a portion of Alabama (Selma).

That's Central Time, for anyone keeping strict track. There's a neat page here with more details than you could possibly want (market, network, local time, translation to Eastern Time).

14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

How far in advance does Jeopardy tape?

They finished taping the season April 17 (source video). The season ends July 26.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

On the other hand, I think people are more aware of the desire to avoid spoilers now than they were then, and most people will probably not be jerks about it (but there are always jerks).

I don’t think the people talking about it will be jerks just not aware/thinking about the fact that Jeopardy airs at a gazillion different times throughout the country. And as noted above the absence of people talking about it is just as much a spoiler because it will be out there when it happens so if I don’t see something by 7pm PST when Jeopardy airs here I know he has one again.

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

For what it's worth, back in middle school, when I was learning to write essays and such, putting "In my opinion" into a paper would get it returned with a big red strike mark through it.  The teachers' mantra was, "Don't clutter up your paper with 'In my opinion.'  It's obviously your opinion, or you wouldn't have written it."

I totally agree with your teacher. Plus: "Less is more."

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think the people talking about it will be jerks just not aware/thinking about the fact that Jeopardy airs at a gazillion different times throughout the country. And as noted above the absence of people talking about it is just as much a spoiler because it will be out there when it happens so if I don’t see something by 7pm PST when Jeopardy airs here I know he has one again.

I did say most people won't be jerks, and that includes those who let it slip with no ill intent. But I would bet (ha!) on there being someone out there eager to be the First!!1 to spoil it for lots of others. And I was not talking about this site at all, to clarify!

It's kind of nice that there are so many media stories about James already, because just the existence of a story or several doesn't mean anything. At least for now.

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 2:12 PM, saber5055 said:

Are we picking based on personal preference or actual show stats? My guess is everyone here would let Julia stay while the other three will all get votes to go. My "get out of here" goes to Austin.

Buzzy and austin.....equally.  Alex stated buzzy was a fan favorite surely he must have been joking 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Driad said:

The Bay State lake with the long name.

For FJ, I first thought of americium but I know it's a transuranium element, atomic number way more than 63, so I tried to think of another geographic name and got europium just in time.

I had a chemistry teacher who made us memorize the entire periodic table, along with all the atomic weights, etc. After his class I scrubbed them from my mind - which is why I didn't get it. Instead, I came up with "americonium" - which sounds more like Colbert's Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor. The hubs took a wild guess with the europium (?) and got it right.

21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Holy cr*p, @Browncoat!

When I saw the category of The Elements, I was hoping for the subject to be rain, or another one of THOSE kinds of elements. But NO. So I came up with the answer of (remember, this is in my head so it's phonetic) ... EUR-ranium. You know, spelled like Europe. Then I spelled it in my head and was like, oh, duh. I guess that's wrong. I've never even heard of the right OR the wrong answers.

I ended up losing today by 13 points to my Evil Self. *sigh* I wish Evil Self would get voted off the island or something. I feel about her like some of you do about James.

I got a laugh out of Trebek correcting James' pronunciation of "Jatte" after his answer of Serat's A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. Welcome to Jeopardy, Mr. Holzhauer!

Side note: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte is at the Chicago Art Museum. It takes up an entire wall, floor to ceiling almost, and is on a wall between two doors so it's the only painting there. There are benches in front of it and always people sitting there plus standing to look at it. I don't care for it myself. But that's just MY OPINION!

I also laughed at James' shrug or semi-eye roll after he was corrected.

16 hours ago, Moose135 said:

But this is Jeopardy! dammit!  You have to answer in the form of a question. Can we have a civilization here?  😉

Well, we usually shout it with a vocal rise at the end indicating a question. That's as civilized as we get. 😉

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't think James is going to last on the show much longer, he now seems to be struggling a little bit.   I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed, but even I seem to be able to answer some of the questions that James is unsure of.

Yeah, but are you able to answer all the questions he IS sure of? 😄 For me that's a solid nope. I do agree that he does seem to be struggling a bit. Of course, his struggle is still at the point where it's better than most contestants' best games so it may be a while before his downfall.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He was a favorite of mine. So some of us liked him.

I have to admit, I don't even remember Buzzy's stint on the show. Austin, however, if only I were so lucky to not remember him.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He was a favorite of mine. So some of us liked him.

Did you like Austin too?  They acted the same and I found it very annoying.  I love James and Matt ( I think his name  was matt).  A lot of people didn't like him but I loved him...no nonsense. 

2 hours ago, dcalley said:

They finished taping the season April 17 (source video). The season ends July 26.

So assuming he was still playing at that point, that means only about a week’s worth of contestants had a chance to see him on TV before taping.  I’m betting he will still be here in the fall.

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'll probably regret getting into this, but... some things are facts (Author A had 47 novels on the NYT best seller list).  Some things are opinions (Author A couldn't write himself out of a paper bag).  I'd like to think we know the difference, and which requires a "call out" and which requires an "I disagree", but maybe I'm expecting too much.

ETA - I want to make it clear this is not a disagreement to mratoz's comments, just a follow-on to the ongoing discussion.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

Does anyone in the ny ny area know where jeopardy will shown tonight.  I know in the albany area it will be shown on fox

This question has been answered if you care to read the posts.

11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This question has been answered if you care to read the posts.

Well I looked but couldn' t find it. Would it have been so terrible to just tell me???

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

No J! in DC tonight.  Stupid football draft. 

Can you get the Baltimore Fox station?  It's too late for tonight, but it comes on channel 45 in Baltimore at 7.  Sometimes, we watch the DC station at 7:30.

Roe=fish eggs=caviar.  I guess middle guy focused on the wrong part of the clue.  Or maybe he thought "mullet" referred to the hairstyle and not the fish.

And end girl!  You only really have three Monty Python movies to choose from!  Not that it mattered, with a $1000 wager.

FJ was an instaget for me. I can't believe two of them missed it.  Tom Sawyer?  Really?

Still tired of James.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

And end girl!  You only really have three Monty Python movies to choose from!  Not that it mattered, with a $1000 wager.

She deserved to loose for that wager alone. 

James got no DDs and still blew them away.

• Love 13

No clue on FJ. Lady at the end  - maybe wasting valuable nanoseconds with her arm flinging motion? I was happy to get caviar. Opponents tried, but couldn’t capitalize on Daily Doubles (middle guy did get one, but missed too many answers). James is just too good. I am enjoying watching him.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Jeanius said:

No clue on FJ. Lady at the end  - maybe wasting valuable nanoseconds with her arm flinging motion? I was happy to get caviar. Opponents tried, but couldn’t capitalize on Daily Doubles (middle guy did get one, but missed too many answers). James is just too good. I am enjoying watching him.

I thought she was going to break out into a show tune every time she answered a question.

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

Nice game today.  I wonder if James' wife has been there the whole time or if they flew her in when he got on a roll. 

I also do not remember Buzzy  much on the show, but I do remember Austin.  I am not as hard on some as others, but there have been plenty that I did not "connect" with and Austin was certainly one of them.  I watch every day and Buzzy really did not make that much of an impression.  Matt was fine to me, I was actually sad when he lost. 

It strikes me that many people were complaining about all the one and done, or 3 day wonders that have come through lately, and now that James is being consistent people are still not happy....

• Love 4

I managed to win tonight's game by four points. Yeay me.

I had to stop and read FJ several times because I couldn't believe it. Bucks and does? As a poster wrote on TheJeopardyFan.com, next FJ category will be Dead Presidents and the clue will be "This former president is buried in Grant's tomb."

I got the TS of water (dog soup). Yes, I have dogs but dog soup sounds gross anyway.

I laughed at gaslight being a TS since so many people do that these days.

Caviar ... an amazing DD stumper, but good on Tyler for betting it all, even though he did not have that much "all" to bet.

I also got the TS of intake manifold. I rebuilt my carburetor once, back when autos had them.

Nice that James got to ring in on the answer of Las Vegas. I'm guessing his wife has been there the whole time. Just my opinion!

When I think Monty Python I want to start singing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay ..."

Robin ... yikes. She was one very special person.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I ran the sports championships team name category.  I enjoy the "name the thing they all have in common" type categories to begin with, and the added element of limiting it to sports championships made it all the more appealing to me.

James looked tired today.  He was only around $50K.

Middle guy needed his SJ DD to make it a game.  End woman was largely out of it, but could've maybe come somewhere close to half of James' score had she bet it all on the Monty Python DD and got it right.  Not sure why she didn't give it a shot.

"And now for something completely different, a man with nine legs."  (Offstage: He ran away!)

• LOL 3

I agree that James seemed to be slower tonight, like he is getting tired.  His wife wants to buy a burial spot in ancient Rome?!  OK..... And the lady on the end was Crazy with her buzzer, waving it around in the air like she was a conductor. 🙂

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

Did you like Austin too?  They acted the same and I found it very annoying.  I love James and Matt ( I think his name  was matt).  A lot of people didn't like him but I loved him...no nonsense. 

Yep. And I liked Matt too, and don't mind James.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

End woman was largely out of it, but could've maybe come somewhere close to half of James' score had she bet it all on the Monty Python DD and got it right.  Not sure why she didn't give it a shot.

She was on Reddit today and said by that point she was trying to make sure she got 2nd place because she needed the $2K to cover her expenses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3