Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Well, their children keep marrying in a church so there must be some connection to it unless the pastor is using it for publicty/ outreach purposes.  I am not familiar with Protestant church weddings, but our parish requires pre-marital counseling and some tie to the parish and it isn't free.

The Duggar kids aren't marrying in one church. They've been married in several different churches and states. Several of them hired the minister for the occasion. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Temperance said:

The Duggar kids aren't marrying in one church. They've been married in several different churches and states. Several of them hired the minister for the occasion. 

I thought the first ones all married in the same church.  at least it seemed like the Duggar girls did.

3 hours ago, Twopper said:

I thought the first ones all married in the same church.  at least it seemed like the Duggar girls did.

No, there was some slight overlap, but not at all a home church they all got married in. Per a website I found, Jill got married at Cross Church in Springdale, Jessa got married at the First Baptist Church in Bentonville, Jinger got married at Cathedral of the Ozarks (JBU's chapel) in Siloam Springs, and Joy got married at Cross Church but at Rogers. 

For the boys, Josh got married in Florida and JD in Oklahoma, so they're moot points. Joe got married at the First Baptist Church at Siloam Springs,* and Josiah got married at Cathedral of the Ozarks like Jinger did. 

My understanding is Cross Church is Derick's home church and also where he did his little church internship thing before he went to law school, so I think the Duggars had multiple weddings there perhaps because they realized pretty early on it worked well for them as a location rather than because they were personally affiliated with the church.   (I had this wrong, so I'm crossing it out but not entirely removing it for the sake of posterity. 🙂

*I had to correct an error. I got confused on where Joe proposed versus where he got married.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Zella said:

No, there was some slight overlap, but not at all a home church they all got married in.

Was one of them the one in which the parents married?  I have some vague recollection of Michelle and JimBob  waxing nostalgic about where they married.   I think the interiors of all the churches looked the same to me so I lumped there together in my mind.   I did recall the chapel.

• Love 2

Jim Bob and Michelle got married at First Baptist Church of Springdale on Johnson Road. This is the same church that expanded, using the property where they had lived. It had been renamed Cross Church by the time Jill and Derick got married.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Was one of them the one in which the parents married?  I have some vague recollection of Michelle and JimBob  waxing nostalgic about where they married.   I think the interiors of all the churches looked the same to me so I lumped there together in my mind.   I did recall the chapel.

That's it--you were onto something! The same website I looked at says Jim Bob and Michelle got married at Cross Church in Rogers, though apparently in a hallway rather than the sanctuary due to construction. At the time, that was the First Baptist Church in Springdale. The name change happened about 10 years ago. I didn't realize the Duggars had a Cross Church connection, though I don't see them being fans of the current church. 

Just realized I cross-posted with @ginger90

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Their piano teacher who was decades older than Michelle doing their laundry for 12 years goes to show you that from the get go Jim Bob and Michelle were and are 'takers'. There is no way that I would allow someone else to do my family's laundry for me; let alone for years and years. A curious thing is that when Michelle tells this store, she has NEVER said what SHE DID for this woman in return....that's because she did NOTHING to repay her. 

While I agree with you, almost no one will do something like laundry for a large family while getting nothing in return. I don't think it was money, but this woman was getting something out of it. Maybe not directly from the Duggars though.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

While I agree with you, almost no one will do something like laundry for a large family while getting nothing in return. I don't think it was money, but this woman was getting something out of it. Maybe not directly from the Duggars though.

Jewels were being placed on her crown in heaven, you say?? 

couldn't pass up the opportunity to use a comment mentioned in the friends thread earlier today.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Zella said:

No, there was some slight overlap, but not at all a home church they all got married in. Per a website I found, Jill got married at Cross Church in Springdale, Jessa got married at the First Baptist Church in Bentonville, Jinger got married at Cathedral of the Ozarks (JBU's chapel) in Siloam Springs, and Joy got married at Cross Church but at Rogers. 

For the boys, Josh got married in Florida and JD in Oklahoma, so they're moot points. Joe got married at the First Baptist Church at Siloam Springs,* and Josiah got married at Cathedral of the Ozarks like Jinger did. 

My understanding is Cross Church is Derick's home church and also where he did his little church internship thing before he went to law school, so I think the Duggars had multiple weddings there perhaps because they realized pretty early on it worked well for them as a location rather than because they were personally affiliated with the church.   (I had this wrong, so I'm crossing it out but not entirely removing it for the sake of posterity. 🙂

*I had to correct an error. I got confused on where Joe proposed versus where he got married.

Thank for you for mapping this all out! I knew they got married in different churches, but I wasn't sure how many different churches.  Interesting the only two so far to marry in the same church as Josiah and Jinger. Jinger's father-in-law was the minister who married her and Jeremy. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Thank for you for mapping this all out! I knew they got married in different churches, but I wasn't sure how many different churches.  Interesting the only two so far to marry in the same church as Josiah and Jinger. Jinger's father-in-law was the minister who married her and Jeremy. 

I was surprised how many different ones there were too! I knew there were some different locations, but I expected more overlap than there was. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

17 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Jewels were being placed on her crown in heaven, you say?? 

couldn't pass up the opportunity to use a comment mentioned in the friends thread earlier today.

Who knows, but I think the mostly likely/obvious explanation is that she did it because she was concerned for the kids. I hate Jill Rodriguez with a passion, but that’s exactly why I would be happy to drop off some food or clothes for her poor children. If you see children that are isolated and poorly taken care of, like if their mother just had a laundry room breakdown say, it can be hard to turn a blind eye. Even just being another friendly, safe adult presence in the house can be a good thing. This is also a household where one child ended up sexually assaulting many of his younger siblings, it wouldn’t take a psychic to see things were going poorly and to be worried.

• Love 19
9 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Who knows, but I think the mostly likely/obvious explanation is that she did it because she was concerned for the kids. I hate Jill Rodriguez with a passion, but that’s exactly why I would be happy to drop off some food or clothes for her poor children. If you see children that are isolated and poorly taken care of, like if their mother just had a laundry room breakdown say, it can be hard to turn a blind eye. Even just being another friendly, safe adult presence in the house can be a good thing. This is also a household where one child ended up sexually assaulting many of his younger siblings, it wouldn’t take a psychic to see things were going poorly and to be worried.

This is my assumption too. I think the Duggars benefited from a lot of people who felt sorry for the kids--and the Rodrigues family does as well. My grandma is someone who is really kind-hearted and loves kids, and she also has a tremendous work ethic. She has gone out of her way to do a lot of things for asshole parents she can't stand because she feels bad for their kids (including but not limited to cooking countless meals and letting their kids stay with her for weeks on end), and never got compensated for it or even thanked half the time. As she often puts it, "The child can't help it."

I'm not as nice of a person as my grandma, so I couldn't fathom doing another family's laundry for years, but I don't find it impossible to believe that the Duggars lived next to a nice person who felt bad for the kids and was doing it for them rather than Michelle. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18

Have any of you come across an article about a couple who want hundreds of kids?

Basically a young single mother married an older rich guy. In the course of two years they had 10 babies by surrogacy. They now have 11 kids, a 6 year old girl and 10 babies under 2. And they want more. 

The story makes Michelle look very normal. Hell, this story makes the woman called Octomom look normal.

• Love 1

I wonder if "they" want more or if he wants more and she doesn't have much say in the whole thing? 10 babies with 10 different surrogates probably makes him quite the stud in his eyes.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

I wonder if "they" want more or if he wants more and she doesn't have much say in the whole thing? 10 babies with 10 different surrogates probably makes him quite the stud in his eyes.

Ok, I never had kids but babysit a few. She says all the babies sleep from 8 PM to 6 am. Is this possible ? If just seems odd that all 10 sleep the same. She also must have nannies for the kids. No way she looks that rested taking care oh 10 babies.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:42 PM, Zella said:

That's it--you were onto something! The same website I looked at says Jim Bob and Michelle got married at Cross Church in Rogers, though apparently in a hallway rather than the sanctuary due to construction. At the time, that was the First Baptist Church in Springdale. The name change happened about 10 years ago. I didn't realize the Duggars had a Cross Church connection, though I don't see them being fans of the current church. 

Just realized I cross-posted with @ginger90

The First Baptist Church in Springdale founded Shiloh Christian School, where Jim Bob went. And when they got married, he hadn't been out of school too long. Jim and Mary Duggar belonged to First Baptist Church (now Cross Church) for years, according to his obit, so that's where the connection came from.

Then at some point, JB and M seem to have declared themselves IFB, but I don't remember ever hearing when or how that happened. Anyone? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
On 2/20/2021 at 5:54 AM, GeeGolly said:

Have any of you come across an article about a couple who want hundreds of kids?

Basically a young single mother married an older rich guy. In the course of two years they had 10 babies by surrogacy. They now have 11 kids, a 6 year old girl and 10 babies under 2. And they want more. 

The story makes Michelle look very normal. Hell, this story makes the woman called Octomom look normal.

I guess there's no such thing as someone who can't be out-freak-showed. 

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Then at some point, JB and M seem to have declared themselves IFB, but I don't remember ever hearing when or how that happened. Anyone? 

I seem to recall that JB said was "introduced" to it by someone but I can't recall if he said who or not.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I seem to recall that JB said was "introduced" to it by someone but I can't recall if he said who or not.

I think it was Dr. Wheat. Michelle had the miscarriage and was told by him that the Pill caused it. Dr. Wheat was a devoted Gothardite. I'm pretty sure this was Boobchelle's first exposure to IFB philosophy and Gothardism specifically.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

JD/Abbie's IG was tagged, but I can't figure out where they are. Or at least, where Abbie is.

I don't see JD or Abbie... Also, blowing the picture up makes it very grainy, but it looks like Jeremiah is standing close to a non-Duggar girl (with Jordyn in front of them)...?

17 minutes ago, floridamom said:

The photo is too small to id everyone. Jessa looks like an idiot in that get up. I see Laura RIGHT NEXT TO Jana, as usual.

Is that Jessa in between Jordyn and Josie?

I see the Forsythe family, Jeremiah, Jordyn, Jessa?, Josie, Jennie, Lauren, Josiah, Bella, Jana and Laura.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Jessa looks like an idiot in that get up.

Is that Jessa (next to Jordyn, wearing the weird potato sack looking thingy)? It kind of looks like her, but the tan get-up is... what? It looks like a strange baby-wearing contraption, but Jessa doesn't have a baby small enough to wear. Also she's not tagged on the top with everyone else. Could be Johannah, but again, what the heck is she wearing? It looks like a potato sack top with some of the potatoes left inside.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I see the Forsythe family, Jeremiah, Jordyn, Jessa?, Josie, Jennie, Lauren, Josiah, Bella, Jana and Laura.

I think maybe Jackson is behind Josie. he was shown in the henry birthday video in camo jacket and a hat. the pic is so blurry though so it is hard to tell

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ozziemom said:

I think that’s Hannie with the tan baby sack on. Looks like her usual outfit underneath. And gee Jenni is tall! Poor kid looks miserable and dressed in one of those hideous prairie bag dresses.

Ahhh, Hannie is likely 'wearing' EJ. Makes sense.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh! I bet you're right! The girl next to Jana in the jeans is probably Lauren. Lauren is a little shorter than Jana. 

But if that's the case, then why wasn't Si and Lauren's IG tagged? 🤔

5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Oh! I bet you're right! The girl next to Jana in the jeans is probably Lauren. Lauren is a little shorter than Jana. 

But if that's the case, then why wasn't Si and Lauren's IG tagged? 🤔

Good question. Maybe they gave up SM. They haven't posted since November. I'm thinking the negative comments were too much for Lauren. Lauren likes to make drama on her own terms, and usually out of nothing. But having others make drama, about her, is probably too hurtful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Good question. Maybe they gave up SM. They haven't posted since November. I'm thinking the negative comments were too much for Lauren. Lauren likes to make drama on her own terms, and usually out of nothing. But having others make drama, about her, is probably too hurtful.

I read somewhere that Lauren has been active on Pinterest, which seems an odd choice. But I’ve never bothered to check.

• Useful 1
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

I read somewhere that Lauren has been active on Pinterest, which seems an odd choice. But I’ve never bothered to check.

If Lauren is going into being a party planner then Pinterest is the perfect/obvious choice. One must always know the current trendy thing to write on all the chalkboards....

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

That's one of the younger Duggar girls, correct?    Ugh.

Yup, third from the bottom in birth order, but probably already the tallest Duggar girl, or close to it (I think Jill's fairly tall).

20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Ahhh, Hannie is likely 'wearing' EJ. Makes sense.

I really hope not... If that lump is an actual baby, it looks like it's being smothered, and if Jinger handed off her infant to an aunt she's never met (referring to EJ) to "wear," that may be a new low in Duggar mothering. I know Johannah babysits for Joy alot, maybe she was wearing "other Evy" and then Joy took her back for the picture? Though I admit it definitely looks like someone/ something is still in the carrier...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, floridamom said:

The photo is too small to id everyone. Jessa looks like an idiot in that get up. I see Laura RIGHT NEXT TO Jana, as usual.

I don’t think that’s Jessa.  I think it’s Johannah.

1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Yup, third from the bottom in birth order, but probably already the tallest Duggar girl, or close to it (I think Jill's fairly tall).

I really hope not... If that lump is an actual baby, it looks like it's being smothered, and if Jinger handed off her infant to an aunt she's never met (referring to EJ) to "wear," that may be a new low in Duggar mothering. I know Johannah babysits for Joy alot, maybe she was wearing "other Evy" and then Joy took her back for the picture? Though I admit it definitely looks like someone/ something is still in the carrier...

You know the Duggars do everything a bit different, so there’s no telling! Poor Jenni looks so awkward and wears those prairie dresses all the time.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

You know the Duggars do everything a bit different, so there’s no telling! Poor Jenni looks so awkward and wears those prairie dresses all the time.

I wonder if she's just not into fashion and throws on whatever dress and leggings are hanging in the closet.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if she's just not into fashion and throws on whatever dress and leggings are hanging in the closet.

Or those are the only things in the closet that fit her and aren't worn out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I doubt there is much left in the closet that fits her since she has gotten so tall. Jana has her own clothing rack in the dorm. Jordyn and Josie are still able to get by wearing whatever is left in the closet. Hannie and Jenny are not really built the same.

Jana and Laura please take Jenny shopping. at least at the good thrift shop

• Love 10