Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Side note: I did have to laugh a little at Amber creating a San Francisco terrarium for a hometown challenge after she said that she's from "the Bay Area" and that she would go to San Francisco with her mom (which means she didn't actually live in SF). Usually when people say they're from the Bay Area, that means they are from somewhere that is not San Francisco, Oakland, or Berkeley aka the cities in the Bay Area that people have actually heard of. People who say they're from the Bay Area usually live 40-60 minutes from SF. Does it really count as your hometown if you don't actually live there? Just imagine someone telling you that they're from your hometown and when pressed for specifics, they admit that they actually grew up an hour away from your hometown. That's what happens about 80% of the time when people say they're from San Francisco. I remember when Mr. EB met someone who said he was from SF and then it turned out he was actually from a city 40 miles from SF. I don't know why people are so uncomfortable saying that they're from NEAR San Francisco or just outside of San Francisco. [/Bay Area specific rant].

That is definitely a Bay Area specific rant! Ever since moving out of the city I've been VERY careful to say I live near/outside SF, even when I lived barely on the other side of the bridge. Long ago, when I lived in Chicago proper, I was in NYC chatting with a sales person. We talked about Chicago, and that I lived "in" the city. When I gave her my area code (773) she was all THAT'S NOT REALLY CHICAGO and I defensively but triumphantly corrected her that it truly was. It was a new area code. It's an identity thing. 

I, too, was wondering why the SF terrarium got a pass for not telling us anything new, when Nicole's Vermont got dinged for that and they seemed about the same in that regard. Maybe because the execution was special? Tho the cabs made me laugh, because who can find a legit cab in SF?! 

Really sorry to see Jeff go. His was my fav terrarium. And, in general, I just really liked him as a person. I hope he can find a way to co-work or collaborate instead of being alone all the time now that he's learned how much he likes that.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Tho the cabs made me laugh, because who can find a legit cab in SF?! 

I had that thought too-- weren't they yellow cabs? I thought that those are a specific NYC thing. Do they have yellow cabs in SF?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I had that thought too-- weren't they yellow cabs? I thought that those are a specific NYC thing. Do they have yellow cabs in SF?

There are yellow cabs here, but it's not prevalent or iconic the way it is in NYC. That felt like the wrong symbol to me. Plain cars on the road would have made more sense (unless she had a specific story that we didn't hear about her personal experience with cabs).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

Really sorry to see Jeff go. His was my fav terrarium. And, in general, I just really liked him as a person. I hope he can find a way to co-work or collaborate instead of being alone all the time now that he's learned how much he likes that.

I had him pegged to go all the way to the end.  I was SO bummed to watch him flame out with the fort after creating such a great terrarium.  

I don't care much for Khiem.  His projects are ok, I just don't get any sense of joy or satisfaction from him.  And I'm a modern minimalst fan, so it surprises me.  

2 episodes down, only 4 more to go.  I can't wait to see what comes next!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

There are yellow cabs here, but it's not prevalent or iconic the way it is in NYC. That felt like the wrong symbol to me. Plain cars on the road would have made more sense (unless she had a specific story that we didn't hear about her personal experience with cabs).

She was basically doing the tourist version of SF which makes sense since she didn't actually live there and went with her mum as a visitor. I found hers very pretty but way more cliché and a lot less personal than Vermont ladies.

I'm quickly losing interest in this show. The folks are nice to each other, sure, but for some reason it feels forced to me. Everything about the show feels forced. They are trying way too hard to be the "nice" competition show and it's not working for me. Too bad, love Amy and Nick.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

found hers very pretty but way more cliché and a lot less personal than Vermont ladies.

But it was much more detailed which I think they were attempting to get at with their critique of Vermont which was not as basic as the dude who went on to do the taco truck but still not a lot of interesting things going on. Though SF woman had way too many trees!

• Love 1

I think that Amber's SF terrarium was more appealing than Nicole's Vermont one because it had so many little details and she used a lot of different materials to show her crafting skills. Nicole's was made well, but from what I remember, it was mostly a big red barn and didn't seem to have a ton of variety in the materials.

11 hours ago, snarktini said:

That is definitely a Bay Area specific rant! Ever since moving out of the city I've been VERY careful to say I live near/outside SF, even when I lived barely on the other side of the bridge. Long ago, when I lived in Chicago proper, I was in NYC chatting with a sales person. We talked about Chicago, and that I lived "in" the city. When I gave her my area code (773) she was all THAT'S NOT REALLY CHICAGO and I defensively but triumphantly corrected her that it truly was. It was a new area code. It's an identity thing.

Ha, that reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets a phone number with the new NYC area code (which she doesn't want) and tries to give her phone number to a new guy she just met but once he sees her area code, he decides it isn't worth dialing the extra numbers.

the cabs made me laugh, because who can find a legit cab in SF?!

10 hours ago, dleighg said:

10 hours ago, snarktini said:

There are cabs in San Francisco, but not like you see in NYC. You will occasionally see a random cab in SF but the only way to actually ride in one is to call for one. There isn't an army of yellow cabs driving around SF that you can easily hail. And since 2011-2012 (when Uber and Lyft launched in SF), it's even rarer to see cabs. A friend of mine drove a cab in SF but he only drove the late shift at night so he always had the craziest stories.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There are cabs in San Francisco, but not like you see in NYC. You will occasionally see a random cab in SF but the only way to actually ride in one is to call for one.

Depends on where you are. I have never had to call for a taxi in the city  and have hailed cabs for 20 plus years without issue. Even tonight I hailed two.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Can someone explain the “Abandoned Highways of West Hartford”?  Why are they abandoned?  Why weren’t they torn down?  Are they an actual local attraction where couples express their undying love, like the Pont des Arts bridge in Paris?

• Love 7

I agree about the Vermont vs. SF thing. Amber's terrarium was well made but pretty generic. Oh, and I'm a native SoCal, and I typically would tell people from out of state that I was from Los Angeles, even though half my life I didn't actually live inside the city limits (Culver City, Torrance, Palos Verdes). Would somebody know where you're from if you said you were from Novato?

I loved Jeff's terrarium. It was my favorite. Amber is a skilled crafter, but she doesn't seem to have much imagination. Her circus tent was impeccable, but I feel like I've seen it a billion times. She even got the name for it from Billy!

I was wondering if we were going to see the older lady (sorry, I've already forgotten her name) together with Jeff at the end. That was a cute touch having him inside their tiny house, when he's sooooo tall.

• Love 1

Amber is a skilled crafter, but she doesn't seem to have much imagination.

I agree.  I was kind of hoping she would go instead of Jeff. The Etsy trend lady keeps pointing out how many trends she is hitting, but to me that just highlights how she's just doing what's in at the moment vs. coming up with her own ideas. For example there are a ton of versions of her unicorn head for sale on Etsy.  

• Love 6
On 8/10/2018 at 5:59 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nicole's butterfly fort was an interesting concept but, as Simon said, it seemed too small. The cut outs where her niece was supposed to crawl in were very small and low to the ground.

Nicole probably would have been my choice for elimination because she didn't meet the criteria of a fort large enough for an (actual) person to play in. It also looked weirdly unfinished on the outside. From the inside, looking up and seeing the wing structure was cool, but I don't think she thought enough about overall appearance.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:07 PM, leighdear said:

I had him pegged to go all the way to the end.  I was SO bummed to watch him flame out with the fort after creating such a great terrarium.  

Yeah, I thought his fort looked more like a prop from a school play and, contrary to the judges, I did not love it because of that. But his terrarium was good. I would have chosen the felt tacos with the sloppy sign over a sloppy spaceship with a sort of thrown-together toy, though. The rainbow fort was my fave.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Can someone explain the “Abandoned Highways of West Hartford”?  Why are they abandoned?  Why weren’t they torn down?  Are they an actual local attraction where couples express their undying love, like the Pont des Arts bridge in Paris?

That puzzled the hell out of me, too, because I've lived in Connecticut for 20 years and have never heard about abandoned highways anywhere.

I thought Jo's terrarium was the best--very detailed and well put together, and personal. I share the general "huh?" about Etsy Woman's Vermont comment.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

It was a highway interchange that has never been used because when it was almost finished in the 70s they discovered it would cause issues with a reservoir.

• Love 9

I want to play in the taco truck although I’m not sure how I feel about the fish and animals with faces.

This show did make me imagine what dinner at Nick’s house would be like (for anyone who doesn’t know, he is married to Megan Mullawy):

Megan: Honey, they’re bringing back Will and Grace 

Nick: Good, it’s about time you started earning the money again. I’ll just be out in the workshop. I’ll be back for dinner.

M: Don’t you even want to know how my day went?

N: Not particularly, but I’m sure you’re going to tell me anyway.

M: So Amy Poehler called and wanted you to do a craft show with her.

N: Do I get to make things?

M: No, I think you have to watch other people make things.

N: I don’t want to have to judge what people make.

M: I think you will just be a host. 

N: Hey, as long as they pay me and it’s only a few weeks. Just remember that you are now the breadwinner in this relationship.

M: Love you too, honey. What do you want for dinner.

N: Meat!

• Love 6
On 8/7/2018 at 4:15 PM, carrps said:

Did you see the episode of her show with Michael Shannon?

Man, I think I seriously injured myself laughing too hard.

It's Friday night

I'm gonna get drunk

I'm gonna get laid 

I'm gonna be late in Monday!

her book is a riot also. I have my fingers crossed that she'll be on an episode. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2018 at 5:59 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Jo's pool noodle rainbow was a great idea for kids: colorful, lightweight, fun, AND safe. Her matching stamp kit was simple but effective. I don't have much to say, but only because it was so great.

Nicole's butterfly fort was an interesting concept but, as Simon said, it seemed too small. The cut outs where her niece was supposed to crawl in were very small and low to the ground. I don't think it looked rickety or anything but I also don't think I would want a kid who's small enough to squeeze in there in such an enclosed space that has no windows or other openings to keep an eye on what they're doing. If she had made the wings bigger to begin with, widened the angle where they met, cut larger holes for entrance/exit points, and used some kind of transparent material (like lighting gels) over the spaces instead of fabric, this would have been a much better fort. On top of that a kid that's small enough to crawl into the fort that she made would not have the fine motor skills to put together that butterfly puzzle.

I loved the rainbow fort - almost made me wish I had kids, just so I could make one for my living room ;)  My "kids" are a dog and a cat.  My cat might like it, but my dog would just rip it to shreds.  She's like that.

For the butterfly, maybe if it had some sort of base & the butterfly were the "roof" it would work.  I liked the idea, though.  And it would be the kind of thing that would look really good in the house - like artwork.

Interesting about the CT highway - I lived in that area for about a year, never knew about it.  I lived in Bristol, but I went to Farmington quite a bit (including to the mall).  Looking at the pictures and location, I'm wondering whether I might have passed by it many times.  I'm kind of thinking it looks really familiar.  But, it is a highway...and it was nearly 20 years ago...and my memory is not so great I'm sure I can tell one highway from another. 

Edited by cherbitrary
  • Love 2

The Etsy trend lady keeps pointing out how many trends she is hitting, but to me that just highlights how she's just doing what's in at the moment vs. coming up with her own ideas

Agreed. The way I look at it, if your designs are already in ETSY (or in fashion, in Vogue) you're already too late.

One thing I did appreciate this episode is that the judges' comments are more critical and pointed. I did laugh out loud at Simon's psyche-out ("Your spaceship looks like a leftover prop from a cheesy 1950s movie....and that's why I love it!")

I can do without the host bits, didn't we have to endure a pun run on celebrity names already last week?

The one thing I *do* appreciate about this show is that while the guy with his own YouTube show has a technical advantage as a quasi-pro at this stuff (I mean he etched the sides of his terrarium), the judges look beyond technical ability and actually assess a piece's "heart."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

the guy with his own YouTube show has a technical advantage as a quasi-pro at this stuff (I mean he etched the sides of his terrarium)

While I totally get what you’re saying, I just want to point out that glass etching isn’t actually a very tough thing that only pros can do. My seventh grade art class did glass etching and it’s not difficult or complicated to do. The biggest obstacle is just having access to the equipment. 

• Love 2

Watched this last night; love the concept, love that it isn't snarky.  Love the fun chemistry between Amy P and Nick O.  The contestants are nice and not nasty to one another.  Yes, the Great British Bake Off vibe.  But I cannot stand the two judges.  I hope this series comes back next summer minus the two of them.

• Love 8

Nick's delightful desperation for meat snacks last night brought back such fond Ron Swanson memories. 

I like this little show.  I'm still laughing over the thing from last week about kids hiding when they poop.  (There's a sentence you don't type every day.)

• Love 14

Would like this more if there was at least some spontaneity.  It's obvious, now, that all the "challenges" have been given to the contestants prior to them being on the show.  They  have all the materials they  will need already on hand.... ( need coconut cleaned out shells...check! need a projector loaded with home movies...check!   need old innertube tires.....check!  ) For the show, they just re - create what they've practiced at home. The GBBO does this also, but for only two of the three challenges.  The third is a surprise challenge that tests their skill.  Puts everyone at  an equal footing. Much better premise.  I realize this is much harder to do with this type of show....everyone having totally different specialties.....but it needs an injection of something other than watching rehearsed crafting. It's gettiing boring....

• Love 5

Those outdoor party places all looked like so much fun! Especially loved Billy's game, and Khiem's movie theater. That was so adorable! I figured Nicole would go this week, her stuff seems more art than crafts. I liked a lot of her stuff though. 

I want to go to a party at Amber's house just so I can have that Rose Boll spread! And Nicks quest for meat was very Swanson. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, bioprof said:

Would like this more if there was at least some spontaneity.  It's obvious, now, that all the "challenges" have been given to the contestants prior to them being on the show.  They  have all the materials they  will need already on hand.... ( need coconut cleaned out shells...check! need a projector loaded with home movies...check!   need old innertube tires.....check!  ) For the show, they just re - create what they've practiced at home. The GBBO does this also, but for only two of the three challenges.  The third is a surprise challenge that tests their skill.  Puts everyone at  an equal footing. Much better premise.  I realize this is much harder to do with this type of show....everyone having totally different specialties.....but it needs an injection of something other than watching rehearsed crafting. It's gettiing boring....

I wonder if the initial craft project isn't supposed to be this way.  There seemed to be tables covered in foods that they could choose from and I didn't notice anyone bringing anything from under their tables like was obvious the second challenge. I would presume craft supplies (like the foam core) are already there stocked to choose from the way cooking shows have a 'pantry' for cooks to chose from.   It's hard to tell. 

• Love 3

I happened upon Episode 1 of this show purely by accident. As soon as I saw Nick and Amy I stopped clicking channels and watched. I somehow managed to miss Episode 2, but 1 & 3 were pretty entertaining and even a little inspirational.

I think a lot of the criticisms in this thread are valid, but the show is just so totally different from anything else on American major network TV that it's refreshing to watch. The similarities to GBBS/GBBO are obvious, but that's a great show, so I don't mind.

Anybody know how the ratings have been? I can't imagine they're particularly high, but I can always hope the show will be renewed. And coming here and seeing three pages of comments in this thread is encouraging!

• Love 8

Forgot to mention what, to me, is the most glaring thing about this show....that it is on at 10:00 at night!  You would think this would be a show that families could watch together.  What programming is so important that it gets the earlier time slots.  It is almost like the network wants it to fail.  Not edgy enough.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Forgot to mention what, to me, is the most glaring thing about this show....that it is on at 10:00 at night!  You would think this would be a show that families could watch together.  What programming is so important that it gets the earlier time slots.  It is almost like the network wants it to fail.  Not edgy enough.

I'm an early-bird so I watch pretty much all prime time stuff using AppleTV. Since I don't have a DVR it's a great solution.

• Love 1

I really got to this show late (she said sadly) because last night was my first viewing. I liked everything about it (except maybe the judges, as some of you said.) I think taking a cue from GBBS is clever and because (I say this from the bottom of my heart) you will never meet a less craft-y person than I, I find the concept of the show as interesting as the idea of space travel.  Have at it, crafters! I hope there's a second season. 

Edited by tootsie
Spelling
  • Love 4
On 8/11/2018 at 10:15 AM, KimKam said:

I agree.  I was kind of hoping she would go instead of Jeff. The Etsy trend lady keeps pointing out how many trends she is hitting, but to me that just highlights how she's just doing what's in at the moment vs. coming up with her own ideas. For example there are a ton of versions of her unicorn head for sale on Etsy.  

Yeah, and since the whole point of Etsy is to sell your crafts, if you're on trend you're gonna have a ton more competition for your wares.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bigmag said:

How did the guy that just covered the inner tubes not get eliminated?  They weren't very crafty and they certainly weren't at all comfortable for seating.

"Stargazing parties are so hot right now!" OK, Etsy lady. That's not really an interactive activity (nor is watching a movie, for that matter), so I feel like his entry was weaker than Nicole's. She had a ring toss game and drums and a tambourine, I think. Her hanging seats were cool. People have trees in their yards, Simon. We don't all live in NYC. One can alternately build a frame from which to hang the seats.

• Love 18
16 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Her hanging seats were cool. People have trees in their yards, Simon. We don't all live in NYC. One can alternately build a frame from which to hang the seats.

Yes! And he said something about it being hard to find a place IN the house, like he forgot it was an "outdoor" challenge, then threw the tree comment in. So many outdoor hanging options. Has he never heard of porch swings?

• Love 7

I thought the hanging seats were cool.  If you don't have a tree big enough, build a pergola or some other sturdy structure.  My kids would e loved them.  The instruments were kinda lame but the ring toss should've saved her.

The inner tube seats were uncomfortable (unless you are 5 years old) and not really that crafty.  Honestly, the fabric just looked worn, I didn't read moon in them at all.  And his activity, sorry but kinda lame considering he only had to treat the fabric and wrap the tubes.  I mean, the one lady wrapped her stuff in rope but also made her giant Dominos and printed on her fabric.  I just think moon guy should've gone home, but I think he's one of their favorites.

I'm glad movie guy won.  It would've been lame if he had just made the seating and then hung a sheet.  He made the theatre too.  Well deserved patch, IMHO.

• Love 9

Destiny74, I was totally thinking pergola, too!

I wondered if there was a comfy way to lounge on the tubes. Moon guy (Robert?) did win the 1st challenge - the snack bowl. Nicole did badly in both, so I was fine with her going. I think Robert has the most wins right now. But I also don't fully trust my memory...

• Love 4

Etsy trend lady needs to go!  I just want to see cool arty stuff, not know if it incorporates on trend pom poms.  She and Amber are clearly kindred spirits.  (Amber's chess stools were the first thing she's done that didn't irk me.)

I can't believe they sent home the swing girl over the stupid fabric innertubes.

Khiem's  arena full of dead gummy bears and bones was ... something else.  I was glad to see a brighter side, and those videos were really sweet.

I wish they'd explain how the challenges are done a little more.  Like, do they give them a list of things to bring from home but don't tell them what the challenge is?  Or do they have planning time and instructions?  How much time do they get from the carpenters?  Is there a "supply closet" available to all?  

• Love 4

I was ready for Nicole to go, especially after that horrible meat covered mountain. Also, deconstructed veggie tray? Really?

Okay, I grew up playing cribbage, still play it, and having to get up to move the pegs would irritate the snot out of me. Way too easy to do funny tricks when counting out points.

Also, as someone who lives in Tucson (home of Saguaro National Park), Saguaro blossoms are small for the size of the cactus, not particularly showy and cream colored. And they are on the tops of the plant, not on the body of the cactus.

• Love 6

It's a bit disrespectful to use the Gloucester fisherman's head as a mini golf but I loved everything else on tonight's episode. I did hold my breath when folks say on some of the chairs. I weigh 200lbs and would have smashed some of the pieces to smithereens 

• Love 5

I was surprised that none of the judges or hosts mentioned that Nicole's rock-climbing thing was in no way, shape, or form anything like a stadium. She was the only one who completely missed the mark. 

• Love 15

I have no time, patience, or money for trends, especially if I buy them from some other crafter.  Some of the "on trend" things I have seen online that people handmake are incredibly expensive (some, maybe, rightfully so, some are a total rip off).  I think if you love pom pom, or tassels, or fringe, GO FOR IT.  If you're decorating with those bobbles just to be trendy, I wish I had your disposable cash.  

Speaking of which.  Why didn't Etsy lady mention the "totally on trend" fringe on the swinging seats?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Kemper said:

My husband and I had the same thought. But I guess the billionth season of America’s Got Talent (which is TWO HOURS WHY) is infinitely more important. :/

• Love 6
11 hours ago, carrps said:

Yeah, and since the whole point of Etsy is to sell your crafts, if you're on trend you're gonna have a ton more competition for your wares.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:15 PM, KimKam said:

11 hours ago, cherbitrary said:

Destiny74, I was totally thinking pergola, too!

I wondered if there was a comfy way to lounge on the tubes. Moon guy (Robert?) did win the 1st challenge - the snack bowl. Nicole did badly in both, so I was fine with her going. I think Robert has the most wins right now. But I also don't fully trust my memory...

10 hours ago, s-k-s said:

Etsy trend lady needs to go!  I just want to see cool arty stuff, not know if it incorporates on trend pom poms.  She and Amber are clearly kindred spirits.  (Amber's chess stools were the first thing she's done that didn't irk me.)

I can't believe they sent home the swing girl over the stupid fabric innertubes.

Khiem's  arena full of dead gummy bears and bones was ... something else.  I was glad to see a brighter side, and those videos were really sweet.

I wish they'd explain how the challenges are done a little more.  Like, do they give them a list of things to bring from home but don't tell them what the challenge is?  Or do they have planning time and instructions?  How much time do they get from the carpenters?  Is there a "supply closet" available to all?  

7 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I have no time, patience, or money for trends, especially if I buy them from some other crafter.  Some of the "on trend" things I have seen online that people handmake are incredibly expensive (some, maybe, rightfully so, some are a total rip off).  I think if you love pom pom, or tassels, or fringe, GO FOR IT.  If you're decorating with those bobbles just to be trendy, I wish I had your disposable cash.  

Speaking of which.  Why didn't Etsy lady mention the "totally on trend" fringe on the swinging seats?

You guys are so right about Etsy lady. Anyone can follow a trend but it is the people that set trends in the future who are the real innovators. I did not think the Food Truck concept for the fort challenge was well executed but I could see it catching on as there are many play opportunities...driving, making fake food, having a fake cash register, etc. Etsy lady going on about what is "on trend" is very annoying because it is like she is playing Captain Obvious and telling us things most of us know or do not care about.

However, she does look good lounging in a rainbow fort. I love this show and with a few tweaks, it could be perfect. I wonder if it does not feel as "organically nice" because American society is different from British society in the way it views competition? I love the GBBO but I do not think it did well when they tried to bring that concept to the states. Face Off was a competitive show that was nice, but it was a very shallow talent pool in an extremely niche industry.

• Love 5

Etsy is SO overloaded with products and listings, it's almost impossible to find things.  It's suffering from Ebay-itis.  It got so big, so fast and started allowing mass-made crap and other products that don't fit what it originally represented.  I'm a die-hard crafter, but I stopped bothering with it about 2 years ago.  

It was Nicole's time to go.  And I agree that her snack project was nothing that really fit the challenge.  Plus, it had wood & chicken wire underneath the food products.  Definitely not cool. 

21 hours ago, bioprof said:

Would like this more if there was at least some spontaneity.  It's obvious, now, that all the "challenges" have been given to the contestants prior to them being on the show.  They  have all the materials they  will need already on hand....

Rice Krispy treats don't take long to make, but he had a massive number for that Coloseum!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, s-k-s said:

Khiem's  arena full of dead gummy bears and bones was ... something else. 

HAHAHAHA I can't believe I almost forgot about this. I would've given him the win just for that. Glad he got it for the main challenge though. 

I just love this show. I've never seen GBBO (had to wait for someone to say what it was) so doesn't bother me that it's like it (and now I'll have to check that out), I love Amy and Nick, and love watching people crafting, because it makes me think that maybe, just maybe, if I had more time, ambition, and a gift card to Michael's, I too could someday make my niece and nephew a cute little fort made of pool noodles and felt and rice krispies and wood and charcuterie items...

• Love 9

On the stadium things, I thought the meat one was the only one that had stuff that people would really chow down on. Dry tortilla wraps? Yuk. Cake + swedish fish? Yuk.   The ice-skating rink was ok. But her moving element didn't move? Chips to eat with graham cracker crumbs? Seriously?

• Love 4

With regard to how the challenges are done...I kind of wish they'd explain, as they have on GBBO, that contestants are given the challenges long ahead of time and so have time to plan and time their crafts, and provide a list of supplies for the producers to have in the barn. On GBBO both the signature and showstopper rounds are planned in advance but the technical challenge is an unknown until the contestant get the ingredients and minimal directions. With the projects here, I imagine both challenges have to be planned ahead of time.

I thought Billy deserved to win the outdoor challenge. In addition to the other New England touches, his Gloucester fisherman looked a lot like Ben & Jerry's style of illustration.

• Love 6