Type keyword(s) to search

Media: "The Lanford Lean Times"

• Start Topic

Since it's being referenced in the speculation topic, I thought I'd put the source here.

https://abc.go.com/shows/abc-new-shows/news/shows/abc-picks-up-the-connors-straight-to-series-to-premiere-this-fall 

The Conners (working title), a spinoff of the groundbreaking family comedy Roseanne, has been greenlit to series with an order of 10 episodes for fall 2018. After a sudden turn of events, the Conners are forced to face the daily struggles of life in Lanford in a way they never have before. This iconic family—Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and D.J.—grapples with parenthood, dating, an unexpected pregnancy, financial pressures, aging and in-laws in working-class America. Through it all, the fights, the coupon cutting, the hand-me-downs, the breakdowns—with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, tessaray said:

...with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails.

Really, that doesn't even sound interesting. They should have just let it die.  They've already ruined the original show for me (twice, actually, the final season and the reboot), do they want a third go at it?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Really, that doesn't even sound interesting. They should have just let it die.  They've already ruined the original show for me (twice, actually, the final season and the reboot), do they want a third go at it?

Haha,  this "—with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails." didn't even register.   Whatever show they're describing, it's not Roseanne or The Conners (hopefully).  Now if they had said "with sarcasm and snarky humor, they hang in there"... maybe. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 9:16 AM, JacquelineAppleton said:

Why is 1958 always chosen at the Butt Monkey year? Because of "Pleasantville"?

It could have just been because it's 2018, so 1958 is quite literally 60 years ago. 

On 7/3/2018 at 11:09 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

If it means the show gets to end with some class and dignity, that's all I care about. I honestly think this is less about anticipating a long run, and much more to do with giving this show and its 30 year-legacy a proper ending. And given that the original ending claimed everything from season 2 onward was part of a book, complete with husband switching--yeah, I'm okay with this.

Now, if it looks like things will progress past this coming season, I'll be more than willing to eat crow. But until then, I'm going to stay positive. It gets old to be too negative too often. :) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

So we’ll get Halloween and Thanksgiving episodes?! Is this going to be a short season like the reboot last season?

ABC ordered ten episodes, which should run into mid-December. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Woah.

Well Roseanne had already "killed" the Roseanne Connor we loved from the series.

Too bad she got a settlement. That means she still profited from her reprehensible comments. 

• Love 5

I came here to post the same news.  Here's Daily Mail Online's article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6104415/John-Goodman-hints-Roseanne-killed-Conners-following-racist-tweet-scandal.html

ETA:  John Goodman was depressed in real life for about a month after the tweet/cancellation scandal.  John also says he knows for a fact that Roseanne Barr is not a racist.  The comments section shows that some people think the whole thing was a double standard situation, overblown, that the show will fail, or "down in its own misery" as one Daily Mail commentor said, or that they won't watch the show at all, despite having watched the original and the reboot of "Roseanne."  

Your opinion may vary and YMMV.

Edited by CelticBlackCat
Added stuff about article.
  • Love 1

Wow.  John Goodman has lost even more weight.  Good for him.  And that's probably good for the storyline as well, because I would expect Roseanne's death to be devastating to Dan, maybe sending him into depression and not eating.  Just speculation, of course.  Thanks, Neptune!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Neptune said:

Maya Lynne Robinson Joins Cast as Series Regular

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/09/the-conners-episode-101-keep-on-truckin.html

I just commented on this on his Instagram. I love they winked at history with bring back Geena and adding Mary in a nod to Nana Mary. People are giving him a lot of heat about Roseanne not being on the cast. I really think that one departure can be overcome in some cases with casting. Sure I came for Barr in the beginning as I had watched her comedy but I came back for The Conners. 

I've often been more interested in the side characters rather than a lead. It just depends and cast and story telling.  

Edited by FairyDusted
  • Love 5
On 9/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

It's official.  Roseanne reveals Roseanne Conner's demise in "The Conners"

SPOILERS:

https://theblast.com/roseanne

Since this post prompted a series of responses, we decided to move both the post and its responses to the Speculation topic. Please discuss the possible fate of Roseanne Conner there, and not in the Media thread.

Because if we believed everything Roseanne Barr ever said...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

I'm down with this. I've always thought that Juliette Lewis looked like she could be related to Sandra Bernard, so bonus points if Blue is related to Nancy!

I wish  you could see my face! OMG! WRITERS!!!!!!

• Love 1

Question: Any scoop about The Conners? I am curious about if we will meet Jerry or Andy in the spinoff. —Ethan
Ausiello: The series’ forgotten… will continue to be MIA. “We’ve acknowledged that Jerry is off on a boat,” showrunner Bruce Helford notes of Roseanne and Dan’s youngest kid. (You’d think he’d at least make an appearance at his mom’s funeral!) And with regard to Jackie and Fred’s son, Helford says, “We debated whether Andy was part of the ‘dream period’ or whether he existed. He’d probably be off at college if he does exist.”

https://tvline.com/2018/10/02/sarah-drew-greys-anatomy-season-15-april-returning/

The Conners plan on holidays without Roseanne in new promo

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/02/conners-plan-holidays-without-roseanne-new-promo/

• Love 1

How are they going to "possibly" retcon Andy but not Jerry?! ? Jerry shouldn't have existed, but I didn't put up with Jackie turning into an annoying shrew post-birth for this smh. Can we just get a phone call from him to her at least? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Rap541 said:

So is this available on any streaming service? Amazon doesn't have it listed for getting a season pass. Anyone know?

I had to watch while on season but I got the last season on Prime and I tunes to download. Sorry, I don't know if they stream them in the beginning . I doubt it. I just bought them because I figured they would not release a DVD as the original had. 

Reviews are starting to trickle in.  Some of them aren't terribly positive. I think this was the best one I saw.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-conners-is-almost-sweet-enough-to-make-up-for-the-roseanne-fiasco 

The reviewer liked Darlene and Becky's rapport, which is great because this is one of the things I liked most about the revival.

All of that said, it takes about six minutes before Lecy Goranson, who plays Becky, to deliver a one-liner so good we cackled right through the next three lines of dialogue. It’s a much-needed diffusion of tension, allowing the jokes that follow to more sturdily stick their landings. Laurie Metcalf delivers a monologue about a coffee maker that should earn her another Emmy nomination. Goranson and Gilbert have a crackling chemistry that’s interesting to observe in this context: the tête-à-têtes that laid the foundation for the ultimately profound sisterhood between Roseanne and Aunt Jackie in Roseanne—one of the series’ highlights—now fall to Becky and Darlene, and both actresses rise to the occasion.

• Love 7

So am I. I am disappointed the current cast is being blasted for even daring to do this on social media. I'm down for snark here. Of COURSE but I don't understand following folks to blast them for fun on the daily. 

Anyone on any show that reads here does it purpose. 

• Love 6