Type keyword(s) to search

Media: "The Lanford Lean Times"

• Start Topic

On 10/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, readster said:

Sounds like the Lunch Box is circling again and COVID is of course putting it like many other ma/pa stores from closing. Guess they can't curb side. 

I was thinking about the Lunch Box when I saw all these real world restaurants closing around me. I was thinking about how the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020 would have been a horrible time to open a new restaurant.

Even though I do not think Jackie has had a bad life, I would not be surprised if SHE feels like a failure. She never accomplished or even close to fulfilling anyone of her dreams. She probably never expected Roseanne to die so soon and now her life feels truly empty. This is probably why she feels such a need to hold on to the lunchbox. It was her last real accomplishment and she it brings back fond memories because she opened it with her sister.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I was thinking about the Lunch Box when I saw all these real world restaurants closing around me. I was thinking about how the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020 would have been a horrible time to open a new restaurant.

Even though I do not think Jackie has had a bad life, I would not be surprised if SHE feels like a failure. She never accomplished or even close to fulfilling anyone of her dreams. She probably never expected Roseanne to die so soon and now her life feels truly empty. This is probably why she feels such a need to hold on to the lunchbox. It was her last real accomplishment and she it brings back fond memories because she opened it with her sister.

Oh I agree, especially when you hit that stage in your life and despite the fact she does have her nieces and nephews (and son). She feels in her 60s, what does she really have? Nothing, hell her goes back and forth that her mother is still alive. I mean if Bed did ever die, you wonder if at that point Jackie would realize if it was really the life she grew up with and then did. Or if really, she held herself back for decades. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, readster said:

Oh I agree, especially when you hit that stage in your life and despite the fact she does have her nieces and nephews (and son). She feels in her 60s, what does she really have? Nothing, hell her goes back and forth that her mother is still alive. I mean if Bed did ever die, you wonder if at that point Jackie would realize if it was really the life she grew up with and then did. Or if really, she held herself back for decades. 

I used to envy Jackie and Roseanne's relationship but now I think they had a really unhealthy codependency with each other. I think it never occurred to her that she would be relatively young and healthy (probably has Bev's long lived genes) and Roseanne would be dead. In fact, I think she is taking Roseanne's death harder than Roseanne's husband/children.

I always wondered how her sister would have reacted if Jackie had actually left Lanford and became successful.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I used to envy Jackie and Roseanne's relationship but now I think they had a really unhealthy codependency with each other. I think it never occurred to her that she would be relatively young and healthy (probably has Bev's long lived genes) and Roseanne would be dead. In fact, I think she is taking Roseanne's death harder than Roseanne's husband/children.

I always wondered how her sister would have reacted if Jackie had actually left Lanford and became successful.

I think she would have teased her outwardly but inside she would have been bursting with pride.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, sara416 said:

Because of a snafu, I have recently learned that mortgage companies are all or nothing. You make a full montlhy payment or it counts as zero. We had an issue where our money was being direct debited from our bank account, but the payment due had gone up (by less than $50) and the mortgage company wasn't taking our money. So it was not in our bank account and just floating around in nowhere land, waiting for us to make a full payment. We were told we were "two months behind" on our mortgage payment, even though the money had left our account on time. If they had a monthly payment of more than $1200, they could throw it at the bank and they still wouldn't apply it to the balance. Mortgage companies are stupid. 

Mortgage companies are stupid ruthless.  Fixed that for ya.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, ESS said:

I guess that's to be expected on a new night and time, but 20% isn't too bad although I read it was actually a 30% loss, so which one is it? 20 or 30%?

I don't know.  I wonder if there are different measures of ratings data that includes after original airtime streaming numbers.

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't know.  I wonder if there are different measures of ratings data that includes after original airtime streaming numbers.

Yeah I don't know either that's why I asked maybe there is different measures either way I don't think it's a bad loss.  

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, ESS said:

Yeah I don't know either that's why I asked maybe there is different measures either way I don't think it's a bad loss.  

I've seen shows with much worst loses and yet they kept them on TV despite the losses. I mean 20-30 is not a huge lose especially considering ABC and many other networks can't seem to find new shows and late premieres due to COVID aren't helping either. But then again, they have trimmed shows to bare miniums like with DWTS and Bachelor and it's becoming more and more obvious that ABC needs to start rethinking shows that are dying or have been dying and ones they need to focus on. Seems like cutting Schooled despite two main stars getting into lawsuits and sexual harassment situations was not a good idea. 

• Useful 1

I don't think switching time slots was a good idea, but only time will tell. There will inevitably be initial drop-off given the people unaware of the change or who already watch something then and will thus be part of the DVR numbers that come later.  But that's just at first; it may very well level off or come back up.  So it's entirely possible it won't matter.  I just question moving such a tent pole series, but I watch so little television these days I do not know the whole landscape the way I used to in order to see the big picture and spot a strategy.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't think switching time slots was a good idea, but only time will tell. There will inevitably be initial drop-off given the people unaware of the change or who already watch something then and will thus be part of the DVR numbers that come later.  But that's just at first; it may very well level off or come back up.  So it's entirely possible it won't matter.  I just question moving such a tent pole series, but I watch so little television these days I do not know the whole landscape the way I used to in order to see the big picture and spot a strategy.

I've seen it happen so many times to good shows. They start dicking around with the time slot and the show eventually disappears.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I've seen it happen so many times to good shows. They start dicking around with the time slot and the show eventually disappears.

I know and they want to argue: "Well, the audience will follow them and we can then get ratings for those times." However, as time has shown that isn't always the case. How many shows ended up dying off because of such a change? It's one thing when the network is ready to give up on the series and the move is to lead to the excuse: "Yeah, see we have to end the series, no one cares anymore." 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ESS said:

It's not a good thing either, but the next two episodes I think, especially since they are Halloween and Election Day related, should tell the story of whether ratings stabilize or improve.  Hope for the best but expect S03 to be the last?  I don't know.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

It's not a good thing either, but the next two episodes I think, especially since they are Halloween and Election Day related, should tell the story of whether ratings stabilize or improve.  Hope for the best but expect S03 to be the last?  I don't know.

Yeah hopefully they'll improve with those episodes and I hope season 3 isn't the last season. I think the show at least has a few more seasons in it. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Well, they officially don't want Andy as part of this show in any shape or form. Probably just to show how miserable Jackie is and still blames her mother for EVERYTHING WRONG IN HER LIFE! Just kill Bev off and then see what Jackie's excuse is. Come on show, you want to be bold and try something new? Go for it and then maybe you can see you have written Jackie in a box.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, readster said:

Well, they officially don't want Andy as part of this show in any shape or form. Probably just to show how miserable Jackie is and still blames her mother for EVERYTHING WRONG IN HER LIFE! Just kill Bev off and then see what Jackie's excuse is. Come on show, you want to be bold and try something new? Go for it and then maybe you can see you have written Jackie in a box.

Right? She blamed Roseanne for all her problems and now it's Bev. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? She blamed Roseanne for all her problems and now it's Bev. 

It would be nice if Jackie developed some agency for her own actions in her later years. However, I have met some older women and men who blame everyone else for their problems.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It was a really bad idea.

Yes, this bad, ABC hedged bets on Wednesday being their comedy slot would help the show, but deciding to put the utter disaster the Bachelorette is this season (END THE DAMN SHOW). Yeah, this was a very, very bad move. Good old ABC, sink a ratings show hoping it will carry over and keep promoting an already sunk ship.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, readster said:

Yes, this bad, ABC hedged bets on Wednesday being their comedy slot would help the show, but deciding to put the utter disaster the Bachelorette is this season (END THE DAMN SHOW). Yeah, this was a very, very bad move. Good old ABC, sink a ratings show hoping it will carry over and keep promoting an already sunk ship.

Plus they wedged in between The Goldbergs (gawdawful) and Blackish (not much better). TV comedy is a wasteland any more.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Plus they wedged in between The Goldbergs (gawdawful) and Blackish (not much better). TV comedy is a wasteland any more.

How true, I mean Goldbergs is getting OK ratings now and they are trying to do a spin-off of Black-ish with Dre's parents "Old-ish". Other shows are not returning until after the New Year. ABC is so busy trying to "keep" it's Wednesday Comedy Night, it doesn't realize it has shows that are past their prime and ratings are only OK instead of: "Wow, look at that!" 

• Love 3

https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/11/the-conners-episode-304-birthdays.html

3x04: Birthdays, Babies and Emotional Support Chickens

IT’S BEVERLY ROSE’S FIRST BIRTHDAY ON ABC’S ‘THE CONNERS,’ 
WEDNESDAY, NOV. 18

It’s Beverly Rose’s first birthday – but it’s not all cake and candles – when Becky and Emilio disagree on what kind of party they should have. Meanwhile, Jackie is introduced to someone who wants to be more than friends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Episode info for next week’s episode looks like Jackie might get a guy? And this episode is also directed by Fred savage.

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/pressrelease/the-conners-friends-in-high-places-and-horse-surgery-11-25/

Yes and I believe it's gonna be Louise's brother. We know she has a sister, Tiffany I wonder if we'll be seeing her too.

Here's the promo photos for that episode as well. That episode is actually airing the following week which is the 25th. 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/11/the-conners-episode-305-friends-in-high.html

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

At first I was annoyed by the announcement of a new recurring character, as this is already a pretty big cast, but then I read that it will be a transgender character played by a transgender actor, and withdrew my complaint.  That's wonderful, and I hope they do the character justice.

• Love 2
On 11/18/2020 at 5:10 PM, Bastet said:

At first I was annoyed by the announcement of a new recurring character, as this is already a pretty big cast, but then I read that it will be a transgender character played by a transgender actor, and withdrew my complaint.  That's wonderful, and I hope they do the character justice.

Natasha Leggero toyed with the idea of making Mark transgender, but decided against it and to just make Mark non-conforming. It was the right call, because the trans character Adam on Degrassi was played by a girl who was very clearly blossoming into womanhood and it started getting awkward that we were supposed to believe they were transitioning and the actress playing him clearly wasn't. 

On 11/18/2020 at 2:10 PM, Bastet said:

Why is that okay? IOW, why should it matter that a new addition is transgender? If the cast is considered full, then the cast is full.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

Why is that okay? IOW, why should it matter that a new addition is transgender? If the cast is considered full, then the cast is full.

Because this is a character that people are interested in getting to know.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

Because representation is important.  Transgender characters have been rare on television, and the few that existed were usually played by cisgender actors and stereotypically written to boot.  It's getting better, but there's still a long way to go, so to have another transgender character, played by a transgender actor, on a network show is a good thing so long as she's not a caricatured mess.  If they're going to add a recurring character, by all means add someone like her.  Not someone like Neville.  We have, and have had for decades, plenty of Nevilles.  We don't have enough Robins.

Hopefully her gender identity will be treated honestly when it's revealed, yet it will not become her sole trait.  They're off to a good start, as she wasn't introduced as The Transgender Supervisor, just as Robin, the potential mentor to Darlene who won't tolerate Becky's shit. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

I have no issues with representation...and enjoy "Pose" (as an example).

I only asked the question because you were annoyed by the announcement of a new character, but made an exception for Robin. To me, that's like saying "I'm annoyed at all dirty, old men trying to date me, but if you're a multi-million, that's okay".  Hmmm, I see your point. 😜😁

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too! Wow, Mark has gotten really tall. I wonder how that happened when his parents are basically Munchkins.

I find Mark's height more realistic than back over in Modern Family that Manny was a short and pudgy kids when his parents were very tall and attractive people. Then again, I have two friends who had three kids. While she was 5'6 and he was just 6'1. Their oldest, a boy ended up 6'7 as a senior in high school. The middle daughter ended up 6'5 at 15 and their youngest about to turn 13 is almost 5'5, but might just top 5'8 at the best. Genes can be odd. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readster said:

I find Mark's height more realistic than back over in Modern Family that Manny was a short and pudgy kids when his parents were very tall and attractive people. Then again, I have two friends who had three kids. While she was 5'6 and he was just 6'1. Their oldest, a boy ended up 6'7 as a senior in high school. The middle daughter ended up 6'5 at 15 and their youngest about to turn 13 is almost 5'5, but might just top 5'8 at the best. Genes can be odd. 

I'm 5'3" and my DH is 5'7" our son towers over both of us.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too! Wow, Mark has gotten really tall. I wonder how that happened when his parents are basically Munchkins.

Dan is fairly tall (and big which Mark didn't get). Harris looks a lot more sturdy that her mother as well. 

My mom was 5'1" and dad was 5'8"  I'm 5'6", one brother was 5'8" and the other was 6'6". Apparently my mother was the shrimp in her family because her parents were both nearly 6 feet tall. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

3x08: Young Love, Old Lions and Middle-Aged Hyenas + Promo Pics

Harris brings home her new friend, Josh, leaving the family questioning his intentions. Meanwhile, Becky and Ben’s attempt to build a closet stirs up family drama on an all-new episode of “The Conners,” airing WEDNESDAY, JAN. 20 at a special time (10:00-10:30 p.m. EST), on ABC. Episodes can be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/01/the-conners-episode-308-young-love-old.html

3x09: Promotions, Podcasts and Magic Tea + Promo Pics

Darlene earns a promotion at Wellman Plastics, while Ben decides on a new career path. Meanwhile, Jackie tries an herbal tea leading to an emotional revelation on an all-new episode of “The Conners,” airing WEDNESDAY, JAN. 27 (9:00-9:30 p.m. EST), on ABC. Episodes can be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

Guest starring is Katey Sagal as Louise, Nat Faxon as Neville, Alexandra Billings as Robin and Timothy E. Goodwin as Hugh.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/01/the-conners-episode-309-promotions.html

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4