Type keyword(s) to search

Super Social Analysis: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, and LGBT in Movies

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

I don't know, I think it would be really disingenuous if it were just them though for who we've seen before, since those characters, while popular, are non-human aliens (and definitely not even second tier superheros).  

Since Marvel has waited so long, and ignored so much previous discussion about the lack of queer rep, it's going to be tricky for them no matter what they do, but I do hope it's someone (or 'ones') who at least has a chance for a decent bit of future screen time.  Otherwise, it's no better than JK Rowling saying Dumbledore was gay.    

I literally have no faith that these queer characters are going to be even second tier heroes. They could have easily put in Korg and Hiroim. Because as much as I like Ragnarok, there is a bit of thinness to the story.

(edited)
13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I literally have no faith that these queer characters are going to be even second tier heroes.

I don't have faith, but I guess I do have hope.  And I'm even feeling generous if whatever they do isn't something that speaks to me, but they at least make a sincere effort and they follow through with it. 

I mean they've actually filmed at least two actual scenes (and was there another one? but it was terrible and good that it was left out...? I'm blanking eta: found it... it was from Jurassic World and yeah, it was good it was left out.), but nothing has ended up on screen. I think that's the main obstacle that needs to be overcome at this point...  something has to finally make it on screen so everyone can have their freak out and can start adjusting and realizing that the world won't actually end if there's a queer main character in an MCU superhero movie. 

Plus I just bought a Love, Simon dvd, so I guess hope springs eternal...  it's just fun to speculate about what could have realistic canon support in what we've seen so far and 1940s Bucky reminds me way too much of my uncle for me to not see him as queer.  There's a few others I think could be realistic too, and of course Valkyrie and really half the characters in Ragarok.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if all the Guardians and most of the Asguardians were pansexual either.  But I do think it's important that there is earth human representation in addition to Ayo.

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1

I generally like Lindsay Ellis, and I...assume...the T-shirt means she's bi, which I was unaware of, so good for her, but I wish she'd taken something other Michael Bay as an exemplar for a Queer Theory Explainer.  Hell, she touched on the perfect one when talking about Disney villains.

Put another way, you walk into karaoke night at a gay bar, you're probably not going to hear "Part of Your World," but you're sure as hell going to hear "Poor Unfortunate Souls."

(edited)

...and again...

‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Deleted a Scene Revealing a Character Was Gay

Frankly, after hearing what the scene entailed, I'm GLAD they deleted that reveal. Zia indicates that she's a lesbian, but that she'd make an exception for Chris? Ew, no thanks. The last thing I want are on-screen lesbians who end up dickmatized. Because hey, we all just need to find the right man, right? 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 8

I think there was a great opportunity to add asian representation with Iron Fist, but since Danny is canonically white it wasn't too big a deal imo. I really do wish they had cast an asian actress to play the Ancient One, though. It would have been perfect. Tilda Swinton did do a good job, but it would have been nice.

I'm late to this party, so I'm going to go back here. I don't think they should have cast an Asian actress for the Ancient One given that the Ancient One got killed in the movie. The writers weren't wrong that she would have fulfilled problematic tropes. But I think they should have gone all out and made Dr. Strange South Asian (or cast Pedro Pascal as so many fans wanted). Benedict Cumberbatch was fine, but not so great that other actors couldn't have also been good. All of the male leads at that point were white. Black Panther was on the slate, and there were multiple Black male superheroes. A S. Asian male superhero would have been a great addition and made the racebending of the Ancient One less problematic.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, ApathyMonger said:

Scarlett Johansson is playing a lesbian 1970s massage parlor kingpin: https://www.empireonline.com/people/scarlett-johansson/scarlett-johansson-starring-true-life-massage-parlor-biopic-rub-tug/

The obit of the person she's playing is here, but the site seems to be down. Here's the Google cache.

And here is Scarjo's response:

Between this and Ghost in the Shell she really could not give less of a fuck.
Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 2

Quote from @Bruinsfan

There was a strong homoerotic vibe to that Expo scene and none of it was flowing from Chris Evans.

To be fair though, there wasn’t much of Chris Evans in those scenes.  Mainly just his face and even that was CGIed to within an inch of its life.  But yeah, I’ve always read Steve as more ace or demisexual. 

Quote from @JessePinkman

See, my theory is that Bucky is really into twinks so when Steve gained all that muscle mass Buck was over it.

He seemed pretty excited by the idea of Steve in his Captain America outfit in the bar scene, though.  And it wasn’t too hard to read his reaction to Peggy in the bar as jealousy, but it’s open to interpretation what he was jealous about.

• Love 1

My tablet was slow to load the Twitter comments. As they were loading, my actual thoughts were "Is this chick going to be playing Rosa Parks or Harriet Tubman next?" I have a gift basket full of Lana (from Archer) nopes for Scarlett. Trifling as fuq.

• Love 1

I’m going to sound hypercritical here: Yes, I am tired of the racial tropes of the black best friend, the Latina hottie that we never know anything else about, the black male character that is only important because he is good at sports/music/dance and helps the white hero or heroine become a better person, the angry/alcoholic/drug addicted Native American, the Magical Negro, etc.  However, I still scratch my head when I see or hear about movies set in urban or even suburban areas that have absolutely no people of color. Or if you do see a person of color, they’re background characters who have few if any lines. 

My long-winded rant was my set up to complain about the upcoming Little Women reboot. I saw a trailer for it last night. Now, I loved the novel, and the characters are all white. And I was okay with that. It’s a period piece. 

But the reboot is apparently set in modern day urban/suburban city, USA. I’ll admit that have done no additional research. But I saw not one person of color in this trailer. And if a movie wants to appeal to teen audiences, especially teen girls, wouldn’t the film makers care if potential audience members saw someone—anyone—who looked somewhat like them on-screen?  

• Love 8

While Johansson is rightfully getting reamed for this, I have to wonder why people will go to the mat over non-trans actor playing trans roles or white actors play roles of other races (and we all goddamn should be fighting against these casting decisions, I might add) and don't seem to care at all when straight actors play gay roles (which is the vaaaaaaaast majority).  That's something that always gets brushed aside or dismissed or not even addressed.  It's not to say that I haven't enjoyed performances by straight actors in gay roles (Sean Penn in Milk, Timothée Chalamet, Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, the last of whom is one of my top-five favorite performances ever); however, who's to say that there aren't gay actors who could've played those roles just as well or better?  Of course, so few actors are publicly out because Hollywood still is a very passively homophobic workplace, and that's really where the problem needs to start being fixed.  Anyway, there's my stream-of-conscious musing for today.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

That's something that always gets brushed aside or dismissed or not even addressed.

Yeah, it's the same for disabled characters/actors as well.  My personal view on that is to be cautious about saying only a certain type of actor should play a certain type of character, because I have seen queer characters/disabled characters played by (presumably) non-queer or non-disabled actors and do an amazing job at it.  And at the same time, I don't want out queer actors or disabled actors to only be considered for queer or disabled roles.   And that's also complicated by whether the actor is 'out' or not, and they absolutely have no obligation to be out.  What I tend to find has more impact on whether the finished product is authentic and respectful, is for there to be representation of whatever minority is being depicted at any point along the production stream, from in front of the camera to behind the camera, so long as their input is encouraged and respected.  

In SJ's case though, it is obvious she is not a transgender man and I haven't seen anything that says there is a transgender POV being included.  Plus the fact that the articles kept using the wrong gender and the person's dead name was really offensive.  And add to that SJ's apparent attitude about the issue and the justifiable push back and it just leaves a really bad overall feeling about the whole project, and makes it pretty clear that TPTB on this have no intention of handling the role or the story respectfully.   

• Love 1

Even leaving aside the accusations against him, I don't know if invoking Jeffrey Tambor is the way she wants to go.  Jill Soloway has said that if she had a do-over, she'd cast a trans actress as Maura.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

don't seem to care at all when straight actors play gay roles (which is the vaaaaaaaast majority).

I think part of the reason is that gay actors do get cast in straight parts.  They get invited into the room to audition and are considered.  

Now, I know that being out changes the equation and it diminishes, although doesn't completely eliminate, their casting opportunities.  

I'm not saying my reasoning is fair or right and it's something I struggle with largely because I've enjoyed so many straight actors who played gay but it's where I tend to fall. And the truth is, there may be "straight" actors playing gay characters who are actually gay but not out due to that diminished opportunity.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

And the truth is, there may be "straight" actors playing gay characters who are actually gay but not out due to that diminished opportunity.

Yeah, that's exactly the thing though.  Cis het white abled 'appearing' actors still have a massive advantage in the casting, even when the character isn't cis, het, white or abled.  

• Love 5
On 7/1/2018 at 1:05 AM, galax-arena said:

Frankly, after hearing what the scene entailed, I'm GLAD they deleted that reveal. Zia indicates that she's a lesbian, but that she'd make an exception for Chris? Ew, no thanks. The last thing I want are on-screen lesbians who end up dickmatized. Because hey, we all just need to find the right man, right? 

Thank God, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.  Everything I've heard about what that scene supposedly was, seems less like a character moment for a supporting character and more like just another way for the movie to tell how great Pratt's Owen is.  As if those movies need any more of that. He's not only a former Navy Seal, who trains dinosaurs, and rides on motorcycles next to raptors, even lesbians want him...ugh.  I wouldn't have minded if maybe Zia had hinted she had a thing for Claire as Howard and Pineda (even in their limited screen time together) had more chemistry than Howard and Pratt did IMO.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, ApathyMonger said:

Scarlett Johansson is playing a lesbian 1970s massage parlor kingpin: https://www.empireonline.com/people/scarlett-johansson/scarlett-johansson-starring-true-life-massage-parlor-biopic-rub-tug/

The obit of the person she's playing is here, but the site seems to be down. Here's the Google cache.

After seeing pictures of the real-life person, the casting decisions baffles me even more.  I can kind of understand casting a cis actor of the same gender the trans character in the project is assigned at birth if the character is supposed to be very early in their transition and maybe not have transitioned medically or physically.  As it might be difficult to find a trans actor early in their transition who's comfortable being on film; doesn't necessarily make it right but I can at least understand that argument.  But after seeing the images of this person...I can't imagine Johansson is the best person for the role.  Hell, it seems that a cis man would be a better fit for the role than Johansson.  There's absolutely no reason not to cast a transman in the part.

• Love 1

Between this and Ghost in the Shell she really could not give less of a fuck.

She seems determined to live up to the worst stereotypes of white lady feminism. 

Yeah, it's the same for disabled characters/actors as well.  My personal view on that is to be cautious about saying only a certain type of actor should play a certain type of character, because I have seen queer characters/disabled characters played by (presumably) non-queer or non-disabled actors and do an amazing job at it.  And at the same time, I don't want out queer actors or disabled actors to only be considered for queer or disabled roles.   And that's also complicated by whether the actor is 'out' or not, and they absolutely have no obligation to be out.  What I tend to find has more impact on whether the finished product is authentic and respectful, is for there to be representation of whatever minority is being depicted at any point along the production stream, from in front of the camera to behind the camera, so long as their input is encouraged and respected.  

In SJ's case though, it is obvious she is not a transgender man and I haven't seen anything that says there is a transgender POV being included.  Plus the fact that the articles kept using the wrong gender and the person's dead name was really offensive.  And add to that SJ's apparent attitude about the issue and the justifiable push back and it just leaves a really bad overall feeling about the whole project, and makes it pretty clear that TPTB on this have no intention of handling the role or the story respectfully. 

Co-signing on paragraph 1. I feel like it just gets into really murky territory and I don't want to say that gay actors (or any other marginalized group) can't be considered for straight roles. As for paragraph 2, I agree as well. I feel like the backlash is coming from 1. the fact that she's working with the same director from Ghost in the Shell 2. her terrible response 3. what seems like a pattern of problematic behavior while also wanting to reap the benefits of wokeness/female empowerment/activist work. You can't go to rallies and say the right things and then repeatedly keep doing shit like this and keep working on projects and with shady people when it's convenient for you. I don't need you to carry the torch for 'what women can do' so much that I'm willing to put up with this nonsense. We're supposed to be getting better and learning from our mistakes, not compounding them. That was very nearly the worst statement she could have released. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Proclone said:

Thank God, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.  Everything I've heard about what that scene supposedly was, seems less like a character moment for a supporting character and more like just another way for the movie to tell how great Pratt's Owen is.  As if those movies need any more of that. He's not only a former Navy Seal, who trains dinosaurs, and rides on motorcycles next to raptors, even lesbians want him...ugh.  I wouldn't have minded if maybe Zia had hinted she had a thing for Claire as Howard and Pineda (even in their limited screen time together) had more chemistry than Howard and Pratt did IMO.

After seeing pictures of the real-life person, the casting decisions baffles me even more.  I can kind of understand casting a cis actor of the same gender the trans character in the project is assigned at birth if the character is supposed to be very early in their transition and maybe not have transitioned medically or physically.  As it might be difficult to find a trans actor early in their transition who's comfortable being on film; doesn't necessarily make it right but I can at least understand that argument.  But after seeing the images of this person...I can't imagine Johansson is the best person for the role.  Hell, it seems that a cis man would be a better fit for the role than Johansson.  There's absolutely no reason not to cast a transman in the part.

I would think that a trans (masculine)actor would be the best fit for the part. After a trans actor then a Cis man, and THEN last a Cis female actor. But there’s no reason why trans actors should be cast as trans characters!! I know this is the movie section but this is one of the reasons I like Pose (on FX), trans women of color playing trans women of color. 

On 6/14/2018 at 12:54 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Lindsey Ellis's old Nostalgia Chick series had a really good rant about Rochelle in The Craft.

Even when I watched it as a kid, I just didn't buy that Laura Lizzie would be allowed to go around being that much of a hateful racist bully, especially given that this is set in Los Angeles, not Alabama. And Rochelle just didn't seem like she would be hanging out with these girls. She doesn't have a single friend on the swim team? I don't know, I was on team sports, and even if you don't get along with most of the team, there are at least a few people you're friends with. It also makes zero sense that Laura would be actively trying to mess up Rochelle's diving. As a team sport, how well Rochelle does would reflect on you as well. Even the bitchy mean girls tended to relax a bit when it came to people that they were on teams with.

I 100% believe that Laura would be so racist. Especially since the mean things she would say would be 1. Out of hear shot of the teachers and 2. Microagressions on Steriods which adults would let her get away with (about her hair for example). 

Bigots rarely make sense. 

• Love 9
On 7/4/2018 at 12:27 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think part of the reason is that gay actors do get cast in straight parts.  They get invited into the room to audition and are considered.  

Now, I know that being out changes the equation and it diminishes, although doesn't completely eliminate, their casting opportunities.  

I'm not saying my reasoning is fair or right and it's something I struggle with largely because I've enjoyed so many straight actors who played gay but it's where I tend to fall. And the truth is, there may be "straight" actors playing gay characters who are actually gay but not out due to that diminished opportunity.  

That is extremely rare, though, at least for gay men, and certainly not to the degree that straight actors are cast in gay roles; if it was proportionally similar, that would be one thing, but it's not at all.

As to your last statement, there are indeed a number of publicly "straight" actors who are actually gay and just won't come out because they are afraid they will not be cast in anything if they do come out, and that fear is often introduced and/or fed by the people around them (agents, managers, casting directors, etc.).

Spoilers for Ant Man and the Wasp...

A big part of the movie involves the search for Janet, Hope's mother and Hank's wife, who's been stuck in the Quantum Realm for 30 years.  It's shown that Scott's previous experience in the Quantum Realm gave him a connection with Janet, and at a key moment, she's able to temporarily inhabit his body to give them the information they need to find her.  I actually think the scene is handled pretty well, mostly played earnestly rather than for laughs (although the people in my theater still laughed when Janet-in-Scott stroked Hank's cheek, then Hope's,) and when Scott "wakes up," he's confused to find that he's holding Hank's hand, but he doesn't get all "no homo" about it.

All that said, it does make me sad that the MCU's first instance of two people of the same sex interacting romantically (explicitly, not in an implied shipper way) involves a woman's consciousness in a man's body.  They put a woman's consciousness in a man's body and had her get close to her husband before they put a confirmed LGBTQ character onscreen, not even a tiny confirmation scene like the ones they've filmed but deleted (Valkyrie, Ayo.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Seen on Twitter:

"I hear Scarlett Johansson is already in talks to play the Thai soccer coach."

So she's replaced Emma Stone in that joke, huh? Sorry Emma, your moment has passed.

• Love 3

The first Thai cave rescue movie is from the people behind God's Not Dead. They insist it's not going to be a religious movie, but who wants to bet that they'll erase the coach's Buddhist beliefs?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite (re my first paragraph), I know it's not like a movie's coming out next week or anything, but it all just seems so crass for everyone to be talking about movie rights while some of the boys are still recuperating in the hospital. 

• Love 22
On 7/7/2018 at 6:54 PM, aradia22 said:

She seems determined to live up to the worst stereotypes of white lady feminism. 

Co-signing on paragraph 1. I feel like it just gets into really murky territory and I don't want to say that gay actors (or any other marginalized group) can't be considered for straight roles. As for paragraph 2, I agree as well. I feel like the backlash is coming from 1. the fact that she's working with the same director from Ghost in the Shell 2. her terrible response 3. what seems like a pattern of problematic behavior while also wanting to reap the benefits of wokeness/female empowerment/activist work. You can't go to rallies and say the right things and then repeatedly keep doing shit like this and keep working on projects and with shady people when it's convenient for you. I don't need you to carry the torch for 'what women can do' so much that I'm willing to put up with this nonsense. We're supposed to be getting better and learning from our mistakes, not compounding them. That was very nearly the worst statement she could have released. 

I really think her snotty tone deaf statement is what did her in. If she had said that she understood the concerns, but the ugly truth of the entertainment business is that this film might not get made with a trans actor, certainly wouldn't have a $30 million budget, and might never break out of the indie or LGBT festival circuit, people would have understood why she took the role. The fact of the matter is that it's cynical, but that's the world. Tangerine got a lot of praise, but I bet fewer than a 500,000 people saw it. It made $700,000 at the box office. No one has seen it, but the Danish Girl made $62 million. Sometimes you need that celebrity and mainstream machine. If she had come from that place and said that they would strive to involve trans and queer individuals in the production, she'd still be making the movie.

• Love 7

"Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I’ve learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive," the actress continued. "I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues."

Lol. No one makes a snotty statement like that without knowing full well that they're being insensitive. And also, I'm pretty sure at this point that she hates the inclusivity conversation. Maybe stop making bad choices and it won't suck so much for you. 

If she had come from that place and said that they would strive to involve trans and queer individuals in the production, she'd still be making the movie.

I don't think she would have said that because I highly doubt she had any intention of doing that. Just a guess.

• Love 2
(edited)

At least she's free to take the role as one of the members of the Thai soccer team now.

On a different tack, if we're getting a biopic of Tab Hunter and Anthony Perkins, I want one about William Haines.  He was an actor in the Golden Age of Hollywood, given a choice by Louis B Mayer in 1935:  a lavender marriage and his career, or his boyfriend.

He went with the guy.  And they stayed together for almost 50 years.

Edited by starri
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, galax-arena said:

Also, at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite (re my first paragraph), I know it's not like a movie's coming out next week or anything, but it all just seems so crass for everyone to be talking about movie rights while some of the boys are still recuperating in the hospital. 

I’m right there with you. There was a time when there would be at least 10-20 years before a movie would be made based on real life tragedies or the like. 

When I heard there was going to be a movie in the works a day after? I was disgusted.

• Love 13

You just reminded me of "Ice" from West Side Story. I looked him up after watching a big screen revival of West Side Story. The actor was openly gay, and that pretty much precluded him from being able to have a career in Hollywood. It's quite a shame- he really could have done a lot. It sounds like after the movie he went back to dancing and before he died of cancer, he was doing a one-man show gig.

The Pure Flix company, which is a Christian studio behind the movies like God's Not Dead, has announced they're going to do a film about the Thai cave rescue.  I can't imagine they'll throw in the Buddhism and meditation.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, galax-arena said:

The first Thai cave rescue movie is from the people behind God's Not Dead. They insist it's not going to be a religious movie, but who wants to bet that they'll erase the coach's Buddhist beliefs?

And they'll probably try to focus on one of the white cave divers, whichever one identifies as Christian. That's why, even though it feels like it just happened, I fully support John Cho trying to get to it first.  He wants it explicitly so it won't be whitewashed. 

I actually don't have a problem with them trying to make a movie based on the event so soon.  If it weren't for the one Thai diver who died, I don't even know if this would be considered a tragedy since everyone else got out.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And they'll probably try to focus on one of the white cave divers, whichever one identifies as Christian. That's why, even though it feels like it just happened, I fully support John Cho trying to get to it first.  He wants it explicitly so it won't be whitewashed. 

I actually don't have a problem with them trying to make a movie based on the event so soon.  If it weren't for the one Thai diver who died, I don't even know if this would be considered a tragedy since everyone else got out.

There was news about the Thai's turning the cave into a tourist attraction coming just as fast as producers trying to jump and get the movie first. The first time I remembered this kind of reaction was 1976 after the Israel raid on the terrorist at Entebbe in Uganda. ABC and NBC both rushed a movie out which just had another movie made 40 years later. Normally in my experience something made a TV schedule before the big screen.

About the only thing that will slow this train down is trying to obtain rights from some participant for his "inside story"

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, Silver Raven said:

The Pure Flix company, which is a Christian studio behind the movies like God's Not Dead, has announced they're going to do a film about the Thai cave rescue.  I can't imagine they'll throw in the Buddhism and meditation.

Yes but then it will be the power of Christian prayer and Jesus that makes it all go well. There will atheists, you'll know them immediately because they'll be assholes. And probably not really atheists just angry with God. But they'll be moved by the rescue of all 12 boys and their coach and immediately be Christians again.       

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, Irlandesa said:

I don't but I do have a problem with Pure Flix making a movie about it.  

• Love 5
On 7/14/2018 at 12:33 AM, Irlandesa said:

I think it's kind of sad.  Those kids will be for sure forever traumatized in a certain way because of this event.  I'm traumatized from things that were way less difficult!

• Love 3
On 7/7/2018 at 9:55 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I 100% believe that Laura would be so racist. Especially since the mean things she would say would be 1. Out of hear shot of the teachers and 2. Microagressions on Steriods which adults would let her get away with (about her hair for example). 

Bigots rarely make sense. 

As a high school teacher in a racially mixed school, I am very, very sad to say that it is entirely believable that Laura would be that racist.

• Love 2