Type keyword(s) to search

Annabelle Neilson: Alexander McQueen's Muse?

I'm a newbie here, but did anyone else have the "Phoebe" (Emily Mortimer) vibe from her a la 30 Rock?  I saw the McQueen Met exhibit a few years back and got nothing regarding Annabella.  More like he liked his florist.

The McQueen exhibit was fantastic. Definitely one of the best exhibits that they've had. As for Annabelle, I just can't get over how much she reminds me of Jen Kirkman. I keep thinking that Jen Kirkman is punking us, except Jen does a terrible faux-British accent. Sorry, Jen! I can't tell yet if she's going to be the grounded one we root for or the one that we hate.

She reminds me of an actress and for the longest time I couldn't think of the woman's name.  I was racking my brain.  Then I saw a photo of Renee Zellweger and remembered--Bridget Jones's Diary.  Annabelle looks like the actress that played Bridget's friend Jude (Shirley Henderson).  Random, I know.

Apparently, the fact that she used to know Alexander McQueen is the one and only interesting thing about Annabelle, therefore that's all she has to talk about.  Frankly, I wish her grandmother was a regular on the show instead.  She sounds like she's had an interesting life - and had fun doing it!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Drinking Game Alert:  Every time Annabelle reminds us she is somehow connected to / knows personally / or was Alexander Mc Queen's "muse" during the last century, viewers need to collectively take a shot.  How long is this woman going to ride the deceased Mc Queen's coattails?  All right, we get it, you knew Alexander Mc Queen back in the day.  Tell us another 72 times lest we've forgotten. I mean, is this Annabelle's entire storyline?  Riding a horse for Alexander Mc Queen, involved with fashion line just like Alexander Mc Queen!

And the over-the-top pearl clutching because the party's host got a gift of lingerie and, wait for it, wait for it (quelle nightmare!) actually picked up the gift to look at it during the informal BBQ bash?  GTFOH.  This was a 4th of July party not the Met Gala or Kennedy Center Honors.  I cracked up when a confused (forget the British blonde's name - the one with the insane duck lips, Heather DuBrow eyebrows and has the luxury gifting business) looked at Annabelle and asked if Juliet removed her panties during the party.  Even she didn't get it and was confused as to why Anna stalked out of the restaurant. Honestly - a big bag of nothing,

Ms. Nealson needs to take the 42 sticks out of her ass and have a stadium's worth of seats.  She can be gone off my TV screen.  Annabelle, you are a 45 year old woman.  Grow up.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 5

God, she looks like an alien, she's so malnourished and gawky-skinny. And the only reason I can see this boring shrew being remotely interesting enough to party with would be due to them all being high on drugs, but that's it.

She'd definitely consider my American ass "special needs", because I think drunk panty-tossing is funny.

Something isn't quite right about the whole title thing.  A cursory Google only finds articles that mention the Marchese/Marchesa title are basic press releases.  Granted I suspect it is one of those generational grifts like the DeLesseps title; say it enough and have enough cash to straddle the lower strata of "fine society" and no one cares.  Especially when it is in another country.  This has been going on in Europe every time there is a major upheaval and someone with some means finds themselves able to re-invent themselves in another country.  And not having a single court, for most of its history means Italians have been notorious for making bank and giving themselves a title.

I'm sure they might even be descended from the guy them mentioned, who did exist.  Who did meet Cristina of Sweden and was tainted by a murder.  Cristina though I don't think gave him whatever title Annabelle and her granny are gushing over.  What with being a crazy exile in Italy and having to publicly disavow the guy over the matter of the murder.  Plus his only line of descent goes through the Malaspina family.  Whose titles superceded his and none of the titles he held exist today.  So there's that.

The real reason for my being so pedantic is Annabelle kept pulling out the whole "raised in an aristocratic family" crap in between McQueen mentions.  Purposely vague but all kinds of lofty pretentious implications.  She came from a family that had enough cash to let their daughter glom onto whoever she could.  After blowing a coked out Rothschild she made social bank.  Since then she has been trying to define herself over and over again by taking something tiny and making it Everest.

Also I'm so tired of her over affected mannerisms.  She is so trying to channel the ghost of Kate Moss with the bangs and the way she holds her head.  But it seems so forced.

Her pearl clutching was hysterical.  And I think it is telling that her bestie on the show seems to be Caprice.   Who is nothing but Kim Kardashian across the pond.

• Love 4

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what Annabelle hopes to get out of this show. Caprice and Noelle want to promote their modeling and brands. Marissa wants to promote her restaurants. Caroline wants to promote her high end gift business. Even Juliet wants to promote her stylist skills such as they are. What does Annabelle want this show to do for her? It can't just be to promote her charity ride? Or is this her advertisement for a muse in need of a designer?

• Love 2
What does Annabelle want this show to do for her? It can't just be to promote her charity ride? Or is this her advertisement for a muse in need of a designer?

Money?  Fame?  Attention?  Perhaps she wasn't being photographed and printed up in the tabloids as much as she used to be. 

She's hungry for something or she wouldn't be on the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

Perhaps to promote the designer she's mentoring.

Probably, but doesn't it seem a little weird unless she has an equity interest in the designer's label. And maybe she does, but I wish she would say so. She's mentoring this designer, using her connections to get spaces, models, and makeup and hair for this designer, and appearing on a reality television show to talk about the designer. To paraphrase Annabelle, it all smacks of too much effort for something with no financial involvement. If she wants to reimagine herself as the edgy Bernard Arnault or Francois-Henri Pinault, fine. But neither have ever been demure and shy about being the money guys.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

Probably, but doesn't it seem a little weird unless she has an equity interest in the designer's label. And maybe she does, but I wish she would say so. She's mentoring this designer, using her connections to get spaces, models, and makeup and hair for this designer, and appearing on a reality television show to talk about the designer. To paraphrase Annabelle, it all smacks of too much effort for something with no financial involvement. If she wants to reimagine herself as the edgy Bernard Arnault or Francois-Henri Pinault, fine. But neither have ever been demure and shy about being the money guys.

She has to have a financial stake in that designer.  It doesn't make sense any other way.  I feel like if you want free clothes maybe you agree to wear the clothes on TV, and to get photographed in.  That should be enough for most designers to give someone free clothing to get exposure.  But booking shows, getting models, hair and makeup is on a whole different level, for all that she has to get something more.  Which is good for her, because the clothing looks great, although I've seen that jacket before, and I feel it was edgy a few years ago.

Annabelle is the worst. She is such a hypocrite. There's a photo with this article in which she is wearing a see-through dress at a party, with her underwear on full display, but now she's freaking out about opening a gift of panties? What? 

rothschild2-220_1014260f.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/3247693/The-extrovert-lifestyle-of-the-former-Mrs-Nathaniel-Rothschild.html

Every story I've read about her paints her as a total party girl in the fashion world, so it's weird that she's trying to hard to convey this image of prim and proper British lady. 

• Love 1

She just seems like a naturally unhappy person to me.  And a bully.  I think she saw Juliet as an easy target to feel superior to and felt the need to take her down.  Instead of ignoring her, Juliet took the bait and ran after her for a confrontation that she couldn't carry off.  Annabelle easily put her in her place with a few snide remarks.  Juliet ended up leaving with egg on her face.  And I think Annabelle knew Juliet wouldn't be able to verbally fence with her and therefore she'd feel superior.  She's so irritatingly typical 'toffee nosed British' to me.  I noticed her sister seemed nice and normal.  I wonder if the glamour of being Alexander McQueen's 'muse' went to her head and now that he's gone she's just 'normal' again and can't handle not feeling superior still?  It must be demeaning to go from one of the very In Crowd to pushing an unknown designer on a reality tv show. 

• Love 1

Didn't she tell Caroline that she actually didn't give a toss about the underwear at the barbecue but used it as an excuse to leg it? :)  I also don't get the impression that she needs money, so I'm okay if she's not benefitting financially from helping out the designer.

She just seems like a naturally unhappy person to me. And a bully. I think she saw Juliet as an easy target to feel superior to and felt the need to take her down. Instead of ignoring her, Juliet took the bait and ran after her for a confrontation that she couldn't carry off. Annabelle easily put her in her place with a few snide remarks. Juliet ended up leaving with egg on her face. And I think Annabelle knew Juliet wouldn't be able to verbally fence with her and therefore she'd feel superior. She's so irritatingly typical 'toffee nosed British' to me. I noticed her sister seemed nice and normal. I wonder if the glamour of being Alexander McQueen's 'muse' went to her head and now that he's gone she's just 'normal' again and can't handle not feeling superior still? It must be demeaning to go from one of the very In Crowd to pushing an unknown designer on a reality tv show.

Add not that bright to the list. Honestly she just doesn't strike me as being very smart. All of her TH jokes are so corny and feel producer driven. I never get the impression she has any real wit of her own. Maybe she's suffering from a bad case of Beautiful Person Syndrome. Those people who are completely average except for being good looking and they coast on their looks for a while, but then you hit the age where no one is that interested in your bitchy party girl act because there's a new younger, prettier, bitchier party girl in town. What's left to do? Go on a reality show I guess.

• Love 5

I'm almost positive one of the Ladies mentioned Annabelle's best friend was Kate Moss. I think it was one of Caprice's talking heads. Not sure which episode. I'm almost more curious about this than her "ties" to McQueen. Did anyone else pick up on this?

I'm almost positive one of the Ladies mentioned Annabelle's best friend was Kate Moss. I think it was one of Caprice's talking heads. Not sure which episode. I'm almost more curious about this than her "ties" to McQueen. Did anyone else pick up on this?

Yes, Annabelle and Kate Moss have been good friends since the 90s.

For example, here's them being emotional about McQueen dresses: http://www.smokersinfo.net/kate-moss-in-tears-as-sir-philip-green-bids-100000-for-her-alexander-mcqueen-dress-at-charity-catwalk-show/

If you just Google their names together, there's a zillion pictures of them standing/sitting next to one another and a bunch of articles saying they're close friends. 

Well it proves Annabelle is a friend to Forsyth. Who might have made up to become friends with Lee Mcqueen.  But the breakup had clear sides according his snide interview on EuroMaxx following the break up.  Oh look, who picked "Lee's side" why Kate Moss.  George has axes to grind.  Though Annabelle picked the ultimate winning side in the macabre famewhore stakes didn't she?  George trashes everyone with what he calls the truth and Annabelle stays friends with both and Ghost Whispers the fuck out of McQueen.

I remember reading things about Annabelle in the 80's/90's and she certainly has nothing to clutch pearls over.  LOL.  Of course, I don't remember any of those things except "hey that's that Annabelle girl from Britain that I read about..."

11 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

How awful, I was just thinking of this show and wondering if she was still doing her books.

Me too! I mentioned it in the media thread and when I saw the topic updated was hoping it was an article that she was releasing another. Wasn't there supposed to be a book for every emotion? 

1 hour ago, Babyfoot said:

I noticed Bravo hasn't offered any sort of condolences as of yet. Their lack of sympathy and respect is chilling.

It is! Especially considering she was a catch for them. They had a hard time finding well connected British women willing to do it. Also, I know this show wasn't a cash cow the way the housewives are but it did air on various networks worldwide so I know they made good money off of it. 

• Love 3