Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: White Whale

• Start Topic

Rosa and Amy team up to take down their "white whale" suspect - a ruthless killer who has managed to elude them for seven years - while Terry helps Jake tackle his wedding planning chores. Then, Captain Holt and his rival, Olivia Crawford, try to convince each other to step down in the campaign for Commissioner.

Ohhhh!!! So that is why people stopped talking when Hitchchock showed up!!! Because of his, BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA! I love this show. :) So glad it's not cancelled. :)

• Love 7

I think this became one of my favourites. There's so much that I loved about it. Jake didn't have the A plot but Amy and Rosa did! Jake got to be the wedding planner! Terry got to be Jake's partner in crime! Gina and Charles had a funny gag with the Whispers! Olivia and Holt! 

Seriously, maybe the high of B99's renewal after cancellation is helping, but I simply adored the entire episode. I loved Jake's enthusiasm to be a good husband-to-be, and how he went over budget. I love Amy's week of wedding binder being bigger than her month of binder. I also love how supportive Jake was for Amy to go work a case while he took over wedding duties. He didn't even hesitate; if this was the Big Bang Theory, I'm sure there would have been moaning and groaning from the groom. 

We got a new flashback era with Amy! With bangs! Her and Rosa teaming up was amazing. I love the little spat but also how they resolved it. Poor Amy, jumping off of the roof to try to stop their criminal. But I laughed really hard at Rosa resetting Amy's knee. 

Jake is great. I didn't even get pissed when he smashed Terry's window, because him wanting to make Amy proud was so adorable. But hopefully he does pay for those windows. I did also love the declaration that him and Amy would be sharing each other's names. So, Santiago-Peralta, or Peralta-Santiago? Or will Jake try to combine both names like real life couple Alexa and Carlos PenaVega? Yeah, that probably wouldn't go so well. This show has made me sure that they could go either way with the combined last names. 

I chuckled at all of the Whispers that Charles and Gina did. Yes, I actually liked Gina here. The two really do work well together. I also liked Olivia and Holt's subplot. 

Seriously, what a fantastic episode.

• Love 18

Got some really hard laughs from this episode, but I'm going to have to watch this again. It was one of those episodes where so much was going on--sometimes really fast--that I need to make sure I get everything.

• Love 2

Aw, Jake. The wine with the foot on the label is perfectly drinkable. 

I loved Amy and Rosa, the former ballerina who went to medical school and business school and has a pilot’s license and who was only mad that Amy lied to her.

So glad this won’t be the last season after all. Even Gina was all right today— Charles is her best scene partner IMO. 

• Love 6

I am still on such a high from the show being saved (this weekend was a freaking emotional roller coaster!) that I will need to watch this again, but I really loved it, and I am so happy that we wont have to say goodbye to the 99 yet. 

Rosa and Amy plots are great, they're so sweet and funny together. Rosa has certainly had an interesting life. Ballet, medical school, business schools, and a pilots license? I would watch a whole mini web series about Rosa's backstory. 

Awwww Jake loves Amy so much. Jake and Amy are such #relationshipgoals, it makes me want to die of happiness, and then come back several more times. 

• Love 7

I really liked this episode. Like everyone else, I'm still on the renewal high. This was also a really well timed episode. I saw a few pieces about how Jake and Terry subvert a lot of toxic masculinity tropes and here we have the two of them succeeding at planning a wedding. An old school sitcom move would have them mess everything up because men can't plan a party, but here we had two guys loving the chance to do it right.

I'm slightly less thrilled at the idea of Holt's promotion. I was excited at the idea of him having an ally as Commissioner. Holt getting the promotion feels abrupt and it's the sort of corner this show loves to write itself into. I did enjoy Holt's back and forth with his frenemy.

It's the details on this show that make me laugh the most. Tonight that my favorite moment was Rosa doing the bunny ears and Jake's line about taking each others' names.

• Love 8

Loved this episode! Amy being her true self and spelling out y-o-u-'r-e under arrest was the best because that kind of grammar mistake makes my teeth itch, also when she was mad about the perp using the wrong "to" when saying you're too late, had me cracking up because that would make me madder than him getting away.  Who would have thought 5 seasons ago that Amy and Rosa would be one of my favorite couplings on this show?

Holt explaining to Gina the kind of envelope he used to mail his letter was great.  Even Hitchcock and Sully were useful.  Great use of the entire cast.

Loved all of Jake's lines about his groom gut.

• Love 11

Such a sweet scene between Holt and Olivia. Is there any other actor in this universe with whom Andre Braugher has no chemistry? I enjoyed how they continued playfully insulting one another.

Jake and his keys/knees/please/seize/wheeze/fees/geez ode to Dr. Seuss!

Charles is definitely the best scene partner for Gina. 

Cascading tabs are sexy!

My nitpicks:

That was no beige. 

A lot of items on that list were not week-before to-do items. Several, I am sure, were simply follow-up or confirmations, but there is no chance Amy wouldn’t have reserved the precise napkin before the final week.

Eunice almost stole the show. She had a chambermaid; now do you remember which one she was?

Very thoughtful to include morning-after aspirin.

Tiger Woods to golf. Not Tiger Woods as a husband.

• Love 14

That episode was gold. Perfect plots, subplots, pairings, lines...definitely needs a rewatch or two. But the show seriously dropped the ball on one major point: WHAT MADE HIM SMELL LIKE AN ENGLISH GARDEN? I have to know!

• Love 7

Scully and Hitchcock doing the assembly line with Terry feeding them at the end of the row was awesome, but if the two of them could assemble the gifts, then Terry and Jake could also have done it. But I love this show so much that I don't mind a little handwaving now and then. I expected Boyle to be Jake's groom-assistant, but I agree that Boyle is the only way to make Gina tolerable, and Terry was a better choice for Jake in this situation, too.

I love these writers. They know what they are doing and it's really rare that any show has so few misses and so many hits.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I loved Amy and Rosa, the former ballerina who went to medical school and business school and has a pilot’s license and who was only mad that Amy lied to her.

ROFL! Geez how old is Rosa?!?!!? :) Hahahaha!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I will die if Jake and Amy’s last name ends up being Peraltiago. 

Santialata? But yes, I instantly assumed Jake Santiago and Amy Peralta when he said "take each other's names".

5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Very thoughtful to include morning-after aspirin

Funny enough, Lorelai from Gilmore Girls suggested Aspirin instead of Jordan almonds while she was helping her best friend Sookie St. James get ready for her wedding. I saw it as proof that Santiago watched the same shows as I did when she was in college. Even if it isn't the case, it is now, in my head.

This was such a good episode. I felt almost euphoric watching it, because I love Rosa/Amy storylines + Gina/Boyle + Jake/Terry + H-O-L-T power-walking. It would have hit everything I love about this show if they managed to bring back Doug Judy and/or Kid Cudi's character whose name escapes me.

What the hell do they have in store for us next week?

• Love 2
(edited)

It’s the silliest things that have me guffawing the loudest. For this episode it was the identical hits of the stapler to Scully’s head seven years apart

Edited by Seelouis
  • Love 5

Pink is a color that a lot of people look good in, but I thought Amy and Rosa looked particularly beautiful. 

The only issue I had with this episode was one mentioned above: no way Amy left that many things undone until the week before the wedding. Flowers? Food? Crazy. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

the show seriously dropped the ball on one major point: WHAT MADE HIM SMELL LIKE AN ENGLISH GARDEN? I have to know!

On a related note, Andy Samberg and John Mulaney were on a quest to find out what made Lorne Michaels smell so good:

• Love 1
On 5/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Very thoughtful to include morning-after aspirin.

I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and the gift bags at the hotel had aspirin too.  Must be a thing now - of course my family likes to drink, so this is the default.

I loved this episode, especially knowing it isn't almost the end for this show. I love Amy and Rosa together. And I really appreciated the limited amount of Gina. I don't see how Holt can get the commissioner job (at least permanently) because that would be hard to manage storyline wise for the long term. Maybe he'll get it and something will bring him back to the 99 a few episodes later. Now that I write this, I think this happened before right?  

• Love 1

Amy getting enraged because the wrong "you're" and the wrong "too" were used! What's better than Amy in grammar police mode? 

Groom gut! That's right up there with fancy brudgom! Who does weddings better than the Nine-Nine?

I'm thinking Amy and Jake Santiralta sounds good!

This was a fabulous episode! It might have seemed even better after the awesome outcome of the cancellation-or-not drama of the weekend, but I'm pretty sure it was just hilarious!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xander874 said:

I don't see how Holt can get the commissioner job (at least permanently) because that would be hard to manage storyline wise for the long term. Maybe he'll get it and something will bring him back to the 99 a few episodes later. Now that I write this, I think this happened before right?  

You're right; they've had a few new captains, when Holt was forced to move to Public Relations and when he and Jake were in witness protection. 

• Love 1

All the Amy-Rosa stuff was pure gold. Loved Rosa apologizing right before saying, "look at the bunny" *snap*. And, she made the bunny ears!

Even in an episode that was this hilarious, they had some really fine character beats. Jake and Terry working on the week before binder was mixed nicely with Terry letting Jake know why Jake will be a good husband. Although, when it came to the car windows, as cops, don't they access to slim jims? Or do those no longer work to open doors on newer cars?

The best of the serious moments was when Rosa told Amy she wasn't upset that Amy left her post. Amy was following her instincts like a good cop, it just didn't work out. Rosa was upset that Amy lied to her for so many years. Nicely done, show.

And, Sleuth Sisters rule! (Love that Amy has picked up Jake's habit of catch names.)

• Love 11
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Groom gut! That's right up there with fancy brudgom! Who does weddings better than the Nine-Nine?

Well, since Parks & Rec had awesome weddings, I'd say Dan Goor and Mike Schur are the best wedding planners.

32 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Loved Rosa apologizing right before saying, "look at the bunny" *snap*. And, she made the bunny ears!

This is one of my favorite Rosa moments.

I really need to rewatch this. I missed so much.

• Love 6

First episode since the infamous "canceled, but then saved, thankfully!" incident, certainly lived up to expectations.  I always love it whenever they pair off Amy and Rosa, and this was no exception here.  I liked seeing them work a case together again, and delve more into their history, and some of the conflict that came out because of it.  I can totally believe that Amy would hide that she accidentally like the criminal get away seven years ago due to not just her feeling like crap about it, but being intimidated by Rosa back then.  And I totally believe that Rosa wouldn't hold that part against her since she was just following her instincts, but was upset that she had kept this from her for so long.  Of course, it ends up working out at the end, but I really enjoyed the journey.  Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero were perfect together.

I equally enjoy the Jake and Terry pair, due to the humor and situation (poor Jake trying to go through a week's worth of wedding planning in 12 hours!), but I really do like that Jake simply looks up to Terry and respects him as a husband, father, and a man in general.  It's different compared to his admiration to Holt; as that is more of a father figure/mentor like thing; and more about seeing someone he wants to be like as a person.  It's very sweet, and I like whenever the show has more Jake/Terry.  And Terry truly is the best for agreeing to help Jake on his day off and not get to see a movie with cussing and no talking animals!  Although, I do hope he makes Jake pay for the two broken windows, because actions have consequences!

Fun seeing Olivia again, and I was surprised it ended with her already resigning by email, and just helping Holt find his letter, because she wants him to be the other guy for commissioner.  That means that either Holt will win; which would be a new direction; or this other guy will, and the status go will remain.  I do hope we see Olivia again as Alison Toleman is the best.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Although, when it came to the car windows, as cops, don't they access to slim jims? Or do those no longer work to open doors on newer cars?

It depends on the car. Slim jims often don't work on newer cars because modern locks are designed specifically not to be vulnerable to slim jims. That being said, I would expect a police station to have several methods of unlocking a newer car. I have a newer car and I locked my keys in my car last year It took AAA like, fifteen minutes to pop my car's lock.

I loved this episode. I love that Jake cares so much about making Amy happy, I love that Amy and Rosa are such kickass cops, and I absolutely adored "look at the bunny." I'm so glad this show is coming back next year. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, sadiegirl said:

Which scene was 'look at the bunny'?  I missed it and will watch again, but I don't want to miss it again.

It’s the scene in which Amy jumps and dislocates her knee.  Rosa is about to shift the bone back into place. 

(edited)

Watching on a bit of a delay again, but that cold open was short and sharp, wasn't it? 

Amy and her binder fetish seem to be rubbing off on Jake a little (not the title of their sex-tape).

I really liked the way Jake 'handed' the A-plot over to Amy and Rosa. Subtle, but clearly illustrating that they were getting to take the lead for this episode. I always like seeing Amy and Rosa together, especially when they're working a case. I've never really noticed before how they mirror Jake and Charles a little, with Amy the over-eager one who says unknowingly gross things and comes up with 'cool' names for their duo, and Rosa the cool one trying not to react.

And not only was their nemesis taunting them about being one step ahead, he was taunting Amy directly with his appalling grammar and spelling. Perhaps it says more about me than I'd like to admit, but the first thing I noticed about that message was "your" instead of "you're".

Really loved Rosa's distraction so she could reset Amy's knee. "Lookatthebunny!"

Terry helping Jake with the wedding tasks was a fun B-plot, with that fancy bitch of a groom-gut letting him down. Inventive of them to bribe Hitchcock and Scully into helping them put together the gift bags. Predictable that Jake locked the keys in the car, but I'm glad it was quickly and neatly resolved (sorry, Terry). A neurotic episode for Jake, but this plot did feel like one that other shows would use to have their protagonist say "oh no, I'm not ready for marriage." Jake never did. He feared he might be bad at it, but he still wholeheartedly wanted to do it. He didn't sneer or dismiss any of his tasks as unfit for a man, even if he did express bafflement (that I completely share) at how many different colours there can be... which all look almost identical.

I quite like Holt's new rival. Polite insults, but there's actual respect there, unlike with Wuntch. I hope she turns up next season (and man, am I happy I can say "next season").

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 11