Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Raja said:

I  wonder if Coulson's inclusion in Captain Marvel is why Disney reportedly forced ABC to air AoS? I  am speculating that a friend from her past when Avengers 4 comes around could get an one more year dictate on the network from above 

I find Coulson's inclusion in Captain Marvel to be pretty weird tbh. I know it's set in the past (pre-Coulson dying), but why include him? Is he really such a big part of the MCU? And also, why is he so surprised by aliens in Agents of SHIELD if he (presumably) already encountered them in the 90's. One of the problems with the whole "it's all connected" thing is that the MCU feels very very small. Are there literally no other SHIELD agents in the 90's aside from Fury and Coulson?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kitlee625 said:

I find Coulson's inclusion in Captain Marvel to be pretty weird tbh. I know it's set in the past (pre-Coulson dying), but why include him? Is he really such a big part of the MCU? And also, why is he so surprised by aliens in Agents of SHIELD if he (presumably) already encountered them in the 90's. One of the problems with the whole "it's all connected" thing is that the MCU feels very very small. Are there literally no other SHIELD agents in the 90's aside from Fury and Coulson?

I assume it is because of fanservice. There isn't much logic to having Coulson being in Captian Marvel. The other characters kind of do, like Ronan, Mar-Vel (and in the comics these two have some history together), and even Korath the Pursuer (since he was another Kree character but he was also killed off) but that is about. I don't know, it seems that Marvel is unlearning the lessons they learned in Black Panther (and those lessons were to do the character and film justice/right and not be fanservice, IMO), which was something that Marvel clearly was rewarded with the success and praise of the film, Black Panther

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I assume it is because of fanservice. There isn't much logic to having Coulson being in Captian Marvel. The other characters kind of do, like Ronan, Mar-Vel (and in the comics these two have some history together), and even Korath the Pursuer (since he was another Kree character but he was also killed off) but that is about. I don't know, it seems that Marvel is unlearning the lessons they learned in Black Panther (and those lessons were to do the character and film justice/right and not be fanservice, IMO), which was something that Marvel clearly was rewarded with the success and praise of the film, Black Panther

I have a theory actually that it's because the writers want to raise up Coulson's profile, either to inject some new interest into AOS, or to transition the character out of Marvel TV and back into the MCU. Who knows what's going to happen in Phase 4, but at this point, the whole idea that "the Avengers can't know Coulson is alive" is completely contrived and makes no sense. (Not that it ever really did.) Besides which, the TV show isn't doing that great, and the writers may want to transition to previously popular character back to the cash cow of the MCU.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

I have a theory actually that it's because the writers want to raise up Coulson's profile, either to inject some new interest into AOS, or to transition the character out of Marvel TV and back into the MCU. Who knows what's going to happen in Phase 4, but at this point, the whole idea that "the Avengers can't know Coulson is alive" is completely contrived and makes no sense. (Not that it ever really did.) Besides which, the TV show isn't doing that great, and the writers may want to transition to previously popular character back to the cash cow of the MCU.

I really don't know. I believe that there was an earlier script that was thrown out and then they had to rework a new one but I have no idea why Coulson is back. I do know that there is an occasional "Coulson" fan asking when will the TV characters go to the movies but as for now, Coulson is pretty much dead in the movies. At least for the current timeline and unless he shows up in Infinity War and/or Avengers 4 I really don't think Feige will place him in a movie that takes place after his death. I do know that this movie is a prequel but I doubt that renewing AoS was even partly influence by this. This seems to be an addition or something (remember they had to rewrite their script) and it just feels more like fanservice to the Coulson fans. Again, the one theory that does make a lot of sense to me is that Disney wants a Marvel presence on ABC and this show is pretty much what they feel like it could be. Now, at the time, there was the upcoming Inhumans series that was rumored to be only a limited series but since AoS was heavily involved with the Inhumans in their past seasons (and still is, IMO) then it was possible that they wanted AoS and Inhumans to air right after each other. 

On 4/23/2018 at 5:11 PM, TVSpectator said:

I really have no idea why Disney forced a renewal but the common belief is that Disney wants AoS to be sort of MCU promo on TV

At this point why bother though. I mean at this point are there people watching the show who wouldn't go see an MCU movie, or would be aware of one if AoS wasn't on?

On 4/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, TVSpectator said:

I assume it is because of fanservice. There isn't much logic to having Coulson being in Captian Marvel.

Fan service for who though? People who love Coulson and might not see an MCU movie otherwise.

• Love 3

Shows included in this poll include Marvel's Agents of SHIELD...

Cancellation Countdown! Which 7 Shows Do You Most Want Saved?
By Team TVLine / April 27 2018
http://tvline.com/2018/04/27/cancelled-renewed-bubble-show-list-2018-poll-vote/

Some lingering renew/cancel decisions surely have secretly been made, but many are legitimately still up in the air, likely not to be locked in until May 11 — the Friday before NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS and then The CW announce their schedules for the 2018-19 TV season.

If only for cathartic reasons, here is one… last… chance… to let your voices be heard. TVLine has listed below dozens of dramas and comedies whose fates have yet to be officially announced. Review the choices and then vote for your “Hopefully Lucky 7” — up to seven shows you most hope get good news instead of… the hook.

Edited by tv echo

ABC has been busy announcing renewals/cancellations this afternoon! We should know if we are getting a 6th season or not soon! Is it weird I am nervous? This is the only "bubble" show I am watching now...

Just now, MadyGirl1987 said:

ABC has been busy announcing renewals/cancellations this afternoon! We should know if we are getting a 6th season or not soon! Is it weird I am nervous? This is the only "bubble" show I am watching now...

They already announced a bunch of shows (along with the others networks) like yesterday but I heard that AoS' fate isn't going to be announced/ figured out until like (I believe) the 18th or maybe a little bit before and/or later than that. 

4 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

They already announced a bunch of shows (along with the others networks) like yesterday but I heard that AoS' fate isn't going to be announced/ figured out until like (I believe) the 18th or maybe a little bit before and/or later than that. 

Wouldn't it be announced by then as upfronts are before that? I believe ABC's is on the 15th.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:54 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

At this point why bother though. I mean at this point are there people watching the show who wouldn't go see an MCU movie, or would be aware of one if AoS wasn't on?

Fan service for who though? People who love Coulson and might not see an MCU movie otherwise.

I always figured that TV is a business too. So what if Disney doesn't get as much from ABC as it does from record breaking Avengers movies they are still getting money and there was no need to leave it on the table for an additional night of Dancing with the Stars to take.

A friend of mine just said that besides The Walking Dead all comic book shows were down from a  low of 19% for Lucifer to 50% of Legion's previous season's audience. MCU movies might be setting records but TV seems ready to move to another genre.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

I read somewhere Disney is waiting for Marvel on the renewal of Agents of Shield. Which is interesting bc it’s not like Movie Marvel interacts with TV Marvel.

How does Marvel get the say and not Disney? It was Disney who forced ABC to renew this show last year but the rumor I heard was that Disney was  either shopping the show around to other networks and/or was trying to put this show on a streaming service.

Overall this "Marvel" sounds like Marvel Entertainment  and not the movie division- Marvel Studios. Two different divisions who are headed by two different people and they barely talk each a few years ago but no realyy don't  talk to each other.

I'm okay with renewal/cancellation either way, honestly. I still like the show and the characters but five seasons is good enough. As long as the finale is good as a series finale I can live with cancellation. 

1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

I was not expecting AoS to get another season.  Pleasantly surprised.  The show does get better every year.  With this and Gotham my two super hero show are both trucking along.  I am happy.

Which scares me a bit.  

AoS and Gotham are my two superhero shows as well.  I have a feeling that AoS's series finale will disappoint me while Gotham's won't.

I thought I was prepared for the end of the series, but then I saw this news of a shortened season that potentially can be properly timed with the release of the Avengers movie next spring for one last tie-in without so much of the wheel-spinning that held up Season 1 -- and now I'm excited. One last ride! 

• Love 5

I can't believe it got a 6th season! I thought for sure it was going to get cancelled. I am happy to hear this :). I do wonder if they are going to wait until closer to the movie to release it.

Great news! I’ve already lost too many shows this season! This arc hasn’t been my favorite, but the stuff before it was great, and now it has a chance work on stuff. And deal with any potential cliffhanger. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Season six is slated to air Summer 2019

Now, whether that means that the events of Infinity War directly impact the season finale, that's up in the air. It doesn't sound like it; they make it sound like it's a coincidence that they're airing it in the summer, after the conclusion of Infinity War.

I was kind of looking forward to see the show address a post-IW world, but I'm not surprised Marvel wants to avoid it altogether.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Just saw this news! 13 episodes sounds good to me. If it's the last season, just let the writers know beforehand so they can craft a proper finale. 

ABC Doesn't Have Any Plans of Ending Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Next Season

The sixth season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. might be shorter than the previous ones, but don’t think that means ABC is planning to wrap up the critically-loved Marvel series.

While speaking on the network’s fall plans, ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey told TV Guide that fans shouldn’t worry about the 13-episode order (down from the usual 22 episodes per season). Dungey said the network acknowledges the series is currently enjoying a creative high and a good bit of acclaim, and if Season 6 can keep the momentum going, there’s every chance Coulson’s team could return again the next year.

"I think the season we just had, Season 5, was their creatively strongest yet. So I don't, at the moment, have any plans to think of Season 6 as the last season,” she said.

Though the episode reduction might look like a negative sign on the surface, it’s important to note the past few seasons of S.H.I.E.L.D. have been telling smaller arc stories broken up into “pods,” which basically added up to two mini-seasons already. By dropping the order to 13 episodes, it’d seemingly allow the creative team to keep telling stories in the same way.

Lol, it's amazing the amount of 'protection' this show has because of it's Marvel relation. 

• Love 4

I don't think it's protection. My guess is that SHIELD will be perfect for Disney's new streaming service, which launches next year. 

It's not surprising that the show won't really deal with Infinity War. Hell, Marvel has scheduled most of its own movies for a post-Infinity War world.

• Love 3

I lost Dark Matter and The Expanse over the last two years because SyFy didn't have an ownership cut so as long as Uncle Walt protects one of the few shows that I watch every episode of I will just say thank you to him.

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Raja said:

I lost Dark Matter and The Expanse over the last two years because SyFy didn't have an ownership cut so as long as Uncle Walt protects one of the few shows that I watch every episode of I will just say thank you to him.

If the show didn't have Fitz give in to his inner Nazi, and if the writers didn't give a slaver prominent screentime (while characters like Mack, May, and Daisy didn't get that much this season), I might be inclined to agree with you. Heck, if the writing overall was generally better, I think a lot of people might feel more optimistic about AoS being protected. The general issues some people have with the show, overall, is why this news isn't exactly something everyone is pleased with. YMMV, of course, but I'd say that's why this news isn't being celebrated by everyone.

Also, I can't believe the SyFy moniker stuck (for that network) as long as it has.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Froippi said:

Well no one is forcing anyone to watch this show if you don’t like how story telling is playing out you don’t have to watch it it’s your choice though

Exactly. I have abandoned a few shows over the years, realizing that they were not worth my time or the aggravation. I still like these characters and this show is still entertaining for me. I say bring it on!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, TVSpectator said:

Couldon was a big deal in the Avengers. In Shield, I mean. One assumes for reasons. Captain marvel may be the reason. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have moved this here from this thread thinking that it better belongs in this thread. Yes it deals with the Season 5 finale and why "That Thanos Thing" didn't happened:

JEFF BELL: Part of what happened was, they changed the release date.

WHEDON: Yeah.

BELL: And we move at a different schedule than they do and so suddenly everything was a week earlier, and so we had to make some adjustments and that’s how we end up with our story.

WHEDON: Right. And the other thing is that there’s certain story points that are so — there would really be no way for us to address it and keep our show intact. Given that there’s another movie coming out, and there’s gonna be constant repercussions of their universe, so what we felt was that the safe play for our story, and for the integrity of our universe, was to operate outside of it.

BELL: To acknowledge it was happening, but that we had our own problems and we’re dealing with that.

WHEDON: Right, and also the timeline is a little bit fudged in that we assume that the last couple of episodes of our show take place during Infinity War. We’re running in a lot of real-time at the end of the season.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/agents-of-shield-didnt-do-the-thing-and-thats-probably-1826193438

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

WHEDON: Right. And the other thing is that there’s certain story points that are so — there would really be no way for us to address it and keep our show intact. Given that there’s another movie coming out, and there’s gonna be constant repercussions of their universe, so what we felt was that the safe play for our story, and for the integrity of our universe, was to operate outside of it.

Wow maybe it is just because it is in print, but it totally sounds like when little kids fight and one says "fine i didn't want to play with you anyways" after other kids tell him they don't want to play with him.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wow maybe it is just because it is in print, but it totally sounds like when little kids fight and one says "fine i didn't want to play with you anyways" after other kids tell him they don't want to play with him.

Looks like Joss was the writer and director for Age of Ultron but he has no creative role for Infinity Wars?

Maybe there was a falling out and the Wheadon brothers are a little salty?

3 minutes ago, scrb said:

Looks like Joss was the writer and director for Age of Ultron but he has no creative role for Infinity Wars?

Maybe there was a falling out and the Wheadon brothers are a little salty?

From what I understand the newer MCU directors consulted on their characters and the Russo brothers now have The Avengers in addition to Captain America while Joss Whedon went to punch up Justice League for the DCEU.