Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

33 Female TV Characters Killing it in S.T.E.M.
August 4, 2019  Lauren Busser
https://telltaletv.com/2019/08/33-female-tv-characters-killing-it-in-s-t-e-m/4/

29. Jemma Simmons (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
It’s possible that Team Coulson wouldn’t be alive today without the help of genius biochemist, Jemma Simmons. Simmons earned two Ph.D.’s for biochemistry by the time she was seventeen.

Her expertise has led to multiple discoveries while working with Coulson’s team including, the use of dendrotoxin as tranquilizer ammunition, a cure for an extraterrestrial virus, and crystalline nucleation. 

But Simmons doesn’t just stay in the lab. She demonstrated her spy abilities when she infiltrated HYDRA at the start of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2.

• Love 2

Why Were 90210 Fans Slow to Swarm? Was Big Brother Cheering Odd? Did S.H.I.E.L.D. Feel Timeless? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci and Ryan Schwartz / August 9 2019, 10:49 AM PDT
https://tvline.com/2019/08/09/big-brother-jack-matthews-evicted-interview-tv-questions-answers/

1 | On Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., if the whole idea was that Izel’s people were incorporeal beings in need of meat suits, why did they appear to be humanoid when marching toward the opening gateway? (Was anyone else expecting something more will-o’-the-wisp-like?) Also, who got Timeless Season 2 finale vibes when Jemma unexpectedly appeared via “time ship” and looking a bit different?

• Love 1

Huh, he didn't even occur to me...and I am expecting fully that they will spend the last season jumping through the whole history of shield. Which would allow to have all kind of guest appearances. I hope they tried to get as many as possible!

• Love 1

Since they're going to be jumping all around through time, maybe, besides The Howling Commandos, we'll get to see Tripp again. And not just Framework!Tripp.

Actually, the character I have no interest in seeing is Ward. He had his run. Then had another run. Then another run. Then there was Framework!Ward. Enough! Of course this means that not only will we see him, but the last three episodes will be nothing but Ward and Deke on a road trip to nowhere being oh so "cool" and "funny."

• LOL 3

I would like to see Ward, just for completion sake. He is not on the top of my list, though. There is the cast of Agent Carter (preferable at different points in time), a young Coulson, a young Nick Fury (since I doubt that they'll get SL Jackson...it would be awesome if they did though….)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

I would like to see Ward, just for completion sake. He is not on the top of my list, though. There is the cast of Agent Carter (preferable at different points in time), a young Coulson, a young Nick Fury (since I doubt that they'll get SL Jackson...it would be awesome if they did though….)

Especially since the comics has that long life Nick Fury story he is one of my potentials for just who would be old enough to be a person of interest in the place in time Jemma took her team to.

Damn...that was way spoilery than I expected based on the description. I expected a name drop of an actor the most, not a complete description why and how he turns up.

Big warning: Don't read this if you don't want have a huge surprise ruined for you.

19 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Damn...that was way spoilery than I expected based on the description. I expected a name drop of an actor the most, not a complete description why and how he turns up.

Big warning: Don't read this if you don't want have a huge surprise ruined for you.

Sorry about that. Somehow I completely missed that it included what his role was. I’ll edit my original. 

Too bad...I was looking forward to this one….

I wonder about the future of Marvel TV in general. No word yet regarding Cloak and Dagger, which currently leaves Runaways as the only show left...

It seems like the Disney Plus shows might soon be the only ones left.

That does make it sound like Disney is getting rite of all the shows that aren't on their service. So once the last season of AoS airs and possibly the last season of runaways (I never watched this one) but it may not get a season after the third one that sounds like it's set to air.  Disney will control all the shows and have them on their service.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:25 PM, swanpride said:

Her brother. And I doubt that they have forgotten.

With Ms. Marvel such an anticipated property I doubt if we get much on Inhumans beyond Daisy, Yo-Yo and Flint in the final season. The test on AoS continuity to the MCU will come on how they decide to show Ms. Khan gaining her Inhuman gift.

Maybe, but I am not saying that the writers will address him (though I hope that they do, wrapping up the most glaring of lose ends), I am just saying that they most likely haven't forgotten him, just like they didn't forget Graviton.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

With Ms. Marvel such an anticipated property I doubt if we get much on Inhumans beyond Daisy, Yo-Yo and Flint in the final season. The test on AoS continuity to the MCU will come on how they decide to show Ms. Khan gaining her Inhuman gift.

Anything that Feige does will be at best a reboot and I doubt that Feige will touch something that he wasn't involved with. As with the Inhumans and Kamala Khan, my guess is that Feige might tie her powers into a new origin. Sort of like what they did with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. They were both mutants in the comics but in the MCU they got their powers through an Infinity Stone. 

2 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Anything that Feige does will be at best a reboot and I doubt that Feige will touch something that he wasn't involved with. As with the Inhumans and Kamala Khan, my guess is that Feige might tie her powers into a new origin. Sort of like what they did with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. They were both mutants in the comics but in the MCU they got their powers through an Infinity Stone. 

I think he only got away with changing up the twins because the comics did it. Also the nerd base knew he didn't have rights to mutants so forgave him.  Kamala Khan is different. He  has rights to Inhumans and didn't have to make a gentleman's agreement as with  Quicksilver and FOX. That, our's  dies while yours gets to reprise his freeze frame motion over a pop song in return we get the sister while yours dies in a farm to send Magneto back into the fight.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:39 PM, Raja said:

I think he only got away with changing up the twins because the comics did it. Also the nerd base knew he didn't have rights to mutants so forgave him.  Kamala Khan is different. He  has rights to Inhumans and didn't have to make a gentleman's agreement as with  Quicksilver and FOX. That, our's  dies while yours gets to reprise his freeze frame motion over a pop song in return we get the sister while yours dies in a farm to send Magneto back into the fight.

I don't remember the comics changing up the Maxiof Twins power base. They have always been mutants in the comics, as far as I can remember. Sure they changed and/or played around with their parentage but that is about as far as I can remember. They were always mutants but it was the MCU that changed that into them getting their powers from an Infinity Stone.

Also Marvel/Feige always had the rights to the Inhumans but Feige was the one who drop the Inhuman movie from the MCU film schedule in 2015.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:24 PM, swanpride said:

Maybe, but I am not saying that the writers will address him (though I hope that they do, wrapping up the most glaring of lose ends), I am just saying that they most likely haven't forgotten him, just like they didn't forget Graviton.

If Feige is going to use characters from the TV side it will be a different version. I doubt that Feige wants to deal with canon that:

a) he was never involved and if the stories were true, never approved of...

b)  behold to a set of canon he probably isn't following

18 hours ago, swanpride said:

We will have to wait and see….Thing is, this version of the Ghost Rider is pretty popular.

Is it really? I mean I heard people calling Robbie "Ghost Driver" as more of "why" than anything else.

I've seen the promos and episodes on Filipino TV, but the proof of the global audience is Disney keeping the show in production while its flagship American network needed incentives to keep it on the schedule 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Again I am not seeing or hearing anything that would indicate that. 

Agents of SHIELD Is More Popular Than Any Marvel Netflix Show

They rank Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the top 0.03 percent of in-demand TV shows worldwide, a category Parrot classify as "Amazing." To give a sense of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s popularity, in the US shows with similar demand include Better Call Saul, Criminal Minds, and Vikings; demand for S.H.I.E.L.D. is higher than the likes of The Originals, Supergirl, Arrow, and Fear The Walking Dead.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

I've seen the promos and episodes on Filipino TV, but the proof of the global audience is Disney keeping the show in production while its flagship American network needed incentives to keep it on the schedule 

Well the fact That in its home country Disney had to step in and forced AoS' home network to not even think about cancelling it sounds like its not popular. 

This is why I am suspicious of claims of it being popular:

According to the Variety story, the relationship between ABC and Disney has grown strained over recent years, with a special amount of tension surrounding the Marvel Television branch of the conglomerate. 

Some at ABC wanted to end the show after the fourth season, with the series never having been a great ratings performer since its first season in 2013. But Disney overruled those wishes, mandating a fifth season for unknown reasons

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.looper.com/88291/disney-reportedly-forced-abc-renew-agents-shield/%3famp=1

Its not great that the parent company had to come in to save the show and AoS would've never should have seasons 5-7.

3 hours ago, Dani said:

In my opinion, this sounds like b.s. because it was later reported that Star Trek Discovery

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ratings-most-popular-streaming-show/amp/

was the most popular show. And later Netflix Daredevil was reported as being the most popular streaming show.

Also analytical companies tend to get iffy data. Reportedly, they use everything- including people saying a show is crap, anything mention of the actors- regardless if it was tie into the show or not, etc...

Edit:

Here is some articles about iffy data collection:

https://towardsdatascience.com/calling-bullshit-in-data-analytics-d7038a98ab04

https://www.cmswire.com/analytics/ex-reddit-ceo-declares-website-analytics-fake/amp/

https://bigdata-madesimple.com/big-data-bullshit/

Edited by TVSpectator
Just now, TVSpectator said:

Well the fact That in its home country Disney had to step in and forced AoS' home network to not even think about cancelling it sounds like its not popular. 

In America alone, the topic bring the global  reach saving the show for three seasons. In any case like most professional athletes are not superstars but have a three year career in the major leagues the same can be said about the average TV show that turns up on the 5 broadcast networks every September.

In the end Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D drew enough eyeballs worldwide to sell soap matched by few in the SF or comic book genres 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

It’s not unusual for US shows to be more popular in other countries. This Variety article looks a the most popular shows in other countries a few years ago. AOS was in the top 10 in a few countries. Disney has to save AOS because ABC is only concerned with ratings in the US. 

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

In America alone, the topic bring the global  reach saving the show for three seasons. In any case like most professional athletes are not superstars but have a three year career in the major leagues the same can be said about the average TV show that turns up on the 5 broadcast networks every September.

In the end Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D drew enough eyeballs worldwide to sell soap matched by few in the SF or comic book genres 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s not unusual for US shows to be more popular in other countries. This Variety article looks a the most popular shows in other countries a few years ago. AOS was in the top 10 in a few countries. Disney has to save AOS because ABC is only concerned with ratings in the US. 

Then Agents of SHIELD must've not have been making enough if their home network wanted the show canned.

7 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

Then Agents of SHIELD must've not have been making enough if their home network wanted the show canned.

I really don’t get your logic here. ABC wanting to cancel it just means that it gets poor ratings in the US. Disney stepping in and saving the show means they see value in it for the brand as whole. Clearly that’s not in its value to the US market but that has nothing to do with the international numbers. 

11 minutes ago, Dani said:

I really don’t get your logic here. ABC wanting to cancel it just means that it gets poor ratings in the US. Disney stepping in and saving the show means they see value in it for the brand as whole. Clearly that’s not in its value to the US market but that has nothing to do with the international numbers. 

Not on ABC TV, I bet it would have been just fine on the WB with their lower expectations. 7 years on one of the historical Big 3 networks, there is no shame but rather celebrating a job well done at the wrap party 

19 minutes ago, Dani said:

Cacancellation means that their were very few people watching the show. The network makes money off of the advertisers that buy as space during commercials. Usually high viewership means-not only popularity- but also networks can sell ad space to offset producing costs. If most US shows unpopular at home is the only factor. Overseas sales mean- mostly- crap unless its super popular in the US. GAME of Thrones is an exception since it was on HBO. ABC is part of the big 4 (kind now only 3)major US networks that the US general population can watch for free (without cable) because of local affiliates. HBO is a paid TV subscription with a streaming app. CW can skrit by with very low numbers. Same with channels like FX, USA, FXX, etc.. High cable channels are different than networks.

Edited by TVSpectator
1 minute ago, TVSpectator said:

Cacancellation means that their were very few people watching the show. The network makes money off of the advertisers that but as space during commercials. Usually high viewership means-not only popularity- but also networks can sell ad space to offset producing costs. 

And 7 years on a Big 3 suggest that the parent company Disney when they added the foriegn syndication fees saw enough eyeballs and money. Now with Disney + ready time to drop all the syndicaters so you are forced to subscribe to  get any Marvel content besides Spider Man who was sold off before Perlmutter vision started to come real under Feige 

18 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

Cacancellation means that their were very few people watching the show. The network makes money off of the advertisers that but as space during commercials. Usually high viewership means-not only popularity- but also networks can sell ad space to offset producing costs. 

I am aware of that but what does that have to do with international ratings. 

ABC only broadcasts in the US so their decision primarily reflects on US interest only. Disney takes a more global view and clearly they see value in keeping AOS in production. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Raja said:

And 7 years on a Big 3 suggest that the parent company Disney when they added the foriegn syndication fees saw enough eyeballs and money. Now with Disney + ready time to drop all the syndicaters so you are forced to subscribe to  get any Marvel content besides Spider Man who was sold off before Perlmutter vision started to come real under Feige 

7 years that was the result of having the parent company, for unknown reasons, to come in and forced 3 out of those 7. Yaeh, it's not really that great. Not only that but Season 5 was a disaster, in my opinion as well, and the ratings went even lower. Not only that but now the show thinks that they can just ignore one of the biggest events in the MCU because, again reasons. 

57 minutes ago, Dani said:

I am aware of that but what does that have to do with international ratings. 

ABC only broadcasts in the US so their decision primarily reflects on US interest only. Disney takes a more global view and clearly they see value in keeping AOS in production. 

Again, it seems that international markets don't matter here since they can't even sell the show to US advertisers. Which is the show's primary market and home country, by the way. 

22 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

Again, it seems that international markets don't matter here since they can't even sell the show to US advertisers. Which is the show's primary market and home country, by the way. 

The international markets are what started this entire discussion. 

12 hours ago, TVSpectator said:
20 hours ago, swanpride said:

Don't underestimate how many people worldwide are watching AoS.

Again I am not seeing or hearing anything that would indicate that. 

Edited by Guest
2 minutes ago, Dani said:

The international markets are what started this entire discussion. 

What started this discussion are people making blanket claims that AoS is super popular and that their version of Ghost Rider is also super popular. 

The claim that AoS is popular is based on said study (plus, the fact that Agents of Shield is the longest running Marvel show by a mile).

The claim that this version of the Ghost Rider is popular thanks the AoS is admittingly mostly based on the reaction I have seen and all the people who are now wearing the jacket with the white stripes. It's logical, though. The reaction to the character was overall fairly positive.

And for the MCU, it isn't just the home market which is important. For them, it is not just about advertising money, it is also about cross promotion. It's about merch sales. It's about protecting their brand.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Raja said:

The Marvel Movie News podcast reports that in a Disney + trial run in the Netherlands that the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D were the number 2 show being streamed 

It was actually reported as the number 1 show and second overall behind Infinity War.