Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E21: The Escape

Haley meets Arvin's parents but fate leads to an unexpected reunion with all of her ex-boyfriends; the family goes to a nursing home to visit with Jay's sister; Phil, Cam and Gloria end up getting trapped in the home's basement.

• Love 1

That was a funny episode, felt like classic Modern Family. Boy, Haily has really worked for some crazy bosses before, but her current one... wow! So, of course Dillion has a monogamous marriage. This is Dillion, all looks and no brains. I have no missed Andy, but I love the nurse: "What am I doing wrong?" Yeah, I say keep the professor, and don't screw this up show, really you have one season left. I loved the "escape room" and even the solution. Cam: "They must never know they are smarter than us." 

• Love 11

I liked Haley and the escape room scenes. I always like Gloria, Cam and Phil working against the Pritchetts. The fact that they figured out how to escape, but think that they're stupid because they relied on figuring out how their spouses would have figured it out, is kind of sad. 

Claire, Mitchell and Jay-- ugh. Nothing was funny about their scenes with the stroke victim. 

• Love 12

I really wish Jay's sister had been played by Amanda Bearse(Marcy from Married with Children).

Nice seeing all of Haley's exes Dylan, Andy and Rainer all together. I know people didn't like Andy but I feel Haley was the closest to being a "person" with him.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Mystery said:

I always like Gloria, Cam and Phil working against the Pritchetts. The fact that they figured out how to escape, but think that they're stupid because they relied on figuring out how their spouses would have figured it out, is kind of sad. 

That was how Luke rescued Claire and himself a few seasons ago when they were adrift in a boat with no oars, by thinking that Alex would use the flycasting rod to snag a tree and reel themselves to shore, and doing it, but kicking himself that he was too stupid to think of it himself! 

4 hours ago, readster said:

So, of course Dillion has a monogamous marriage.

I thought I heard Dillon say that he believed in "monotany." I know they only have a half hour, but it's too bad they couldn't have done more with Haley's assorted boyfriends, past and present.

• Love 14

I like the three of them getting caught in a room on the way to the escape room

My reaction when Andy showed up :  "NOOOOOOOOOoo!!!!!!!!!  I thought he was gone!!!"

Thank god how that one ended.  I thought it was some genuinely great acting by Haley when she told off her boyfriend over the phone, then collapsed.  Figured it was the stickers, but still scary and emotional. 

Always good to see Dylan. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I know people didn't like Andy but I feel Haley was the closest to being a "person" with him.

I agree.  I always liked ANdy and was hoping he’d be endgame.  I just can’t really love the pairing with Arvin knowing that Alex liked him (despite finding both the actress and character grating).   Loved Rainer asking about her forecast.

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 8

I thought it showed a lot of growth for Haley as stuck up for herself and then listened to what her boyfriends past and present and admitted that she loved the professor. 

17 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

just can’t really love the pairing with Arvin knowing that Alex liked him (despite finding both the actress and character grating).   Loved Rainer asking about her forecast

I am okay with it because Alex is currenly in a committed, caring relationship with the sweet fireman who is age appropriate, cute, employed and devoted to her. From the last episode, their relationship has advanced that they were going away together and she was going to meet his parents.

• Love 7

Wow, what were the chances that all 3 of those actors were available!

It was a funny episode and this was the best writing of the season-there were several good and clever lines, especially Rainer asking about her forecast.

I know people didn't like Andy but I feel Haley was the closest to being a "person" with him.

More importantly, since this is a sitcom, he was funny and they were funny together.

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked it too. Hailey has always been one of my favorites (and I loved her with Dylan), and I liked seeing all the exes. For all of her faults, shes always dated pretty decent guys and I like the professor. Seeing all the boyfriends you can see how much she's grown as a person. 

Cam, Phil, and Gliria are always funny together. Of course they get locked in a room on their way to a setup escape room.

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 9

I loved that Dylan immediately knew that Andy's Laker girl scraped barnacles off boats. I love Dylan. I also liked that, tho they showed up for her, neither Dylan nor Andy were panting to get back with Haley. (I couldn't really tell about Rainer).  I thought it was odd that both Hailey and Andy were hiding that they were seeing other people from one another...for one thing, why? They broke up. And Haley's been with Rainer Shine since Andy, so Andy's 'I'm the one that came before him' (the professor) was incorrect, but apparently he didn't know that.  We know Haley is the queen of social media; there's no way she wouldn't have posted about both those other guys. I'm thinking about this too hard.

It is just so hard for me to not think of Chris Geere as acerbic, sociopathic Jimmy Shive-Overly. I always feel like Arvin is an assumed identity.

I had to laugh with the nurse...."what am I doing wrong?'. Indeed. Haley's cute and all but so was the nurse, it IS kind of inexplicable...I don't know how many of us would have all our former beaus show up at the hospital for us. Sarah Hyland did a good job  Gumby-ing from the toxins in the NERP stickers...she sold that scene. Loved her blue coat, too.

Have we ever heard of Jay's older sis before?

• Love 8

I thought that was a funny episode, especially getting trapped on the way to an escape room, and Hailey and her many boyfriends. It was nice seeing Andy, Dylan, and Rainer again, and the interactions between them all was really funny. Nice going getting all the actors back! And I love that Dylan knew right away what Laker Girl meant. I actually thought this was a pretty good episode for Hailey, she showed some actual growth in being mature towards seeing her exs, standing up for herself, and admitting that she has real feelings for Arvin. And I think Arvin is pretty funny as well, although I still keep expecting him to start talking about his novel or something. "Oh, cheers". 

• Love 5

Have we ever heard of Jay's older sis before?

The wedding that they attended in "Sarge and Pea" was Becky's son's wedding. Jay also mentioned in a season 2 episode, that his father only kissed him once - he only did it because he had kissed Jay's head from behind and thought it was Becky. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I really wish Jay's sister had been played by Amanda Bearse(Marcy from Married with Children).

That would be AWESOME!

I know some people don't like stunt casting, but I think this show could pull it off.

12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

And I love that Dylan knew right away what Laker Girl meant.

When the writers get a character right, they get it right!

• Love 8

I don't like that Hailey went back to the professor.  Once a guy lied about my profession as he is embarrassed at what I do, I am outta there.  Even after he tried to apologize.

LOVED Andy coming back!!!  (UO around here, I know!)  Dylan:  We have a monotonous marriage" Oh Dylan.  Then the two of them:  "Here it comes......"

At least Andy isn't back with Crazy Beth.

Love the poking at Gwyneth Paltrow!!!  

• Love 8

Jay was so funny at the nursing home when he was talking to Claire and Mitchell in the hall.  "You just have to look deep inside yourselves --" and then dashes into the room.  Ed O'Neill is so great.

• Love 8

Haley and the professor continues to irritate me. Really he loves her? What, exactly? Her room-temperature IQ? Her Kardashian looks? Her flighty, dramatic personality? This relationship came out of nowhere and Haley went from being the fairly normal young woman she was with Andy back to being a complete dummy. She and the Brit have literally nothing in common, no chemistry (physical or otherwise), and I can't imagine what they see in each other.

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Haley and the professor continues to irritate me. Really he loves her? What, exactly? Her room-temperature IQ? Her Kardashian looks? Her flighty, dramatic personality? This relationship came out of nowhere and Haley went from being the fairly normal young woman she was with Andy back to being a complete dummy. She and the Brit have literally nothing in common, no chemistry (physical or otherwise), and I can't imagine what they see in each other.

Ç'est l'amour.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, AriAu said:

Wow, what were the chances that all 3 of those actors were available!

It was a funny episode and this was the best writing of the season-there were several good and clever lines, especially Rainer asking about her forecast.

More importantly, since this is a sitcom, he was funny and they were funny together.

Him being funny is where we will disagree. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I don't like that Hailey went back to the professor.  Once a guy lied about my profession as he is embarrassed at what I do, I am outta there.  Even after he tried to apologize.

LOVED Andy coming back!!!  (UO around here, I know!)  Dylan:  We have a monotonous marriage" Oh Dylan.  Then the two of them:  "Here it comes......"

At least Andy isn't back with Crazy Beth.

Love the poking at Gwyneth Paltrow!!!  

I agree with this.  If a guy is embarrassed by my profession, he is embarrassed by me.  They had a similar plot on the Big Bang Theory where Raj was attracted to a cleaning lady from the university.  He lied to his friends about her profession and she rightfully dumped him.  There seems to be some sort of snobbery from the Brit about what Hailey does. 

2 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

I have to agree with this.  Hailey seems more like a ditz with this guy.  She seemed fairly normal with Dylan and Andy.  Btw I miss Dylan.  He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was really nice.  I also personally don't see any chemistry between Hailey and the Brit.  I saw it with Dylan and Andy and Rainer but not with him.  I just don't seem invested in their relationship.

It seems to me that Hailey is trying really hard to impress Arvin.  When he met her family, she didn't want her family to embarrass her.  When she met Arvin's parents, he didn't want her to be an embarrassment in front of his parents.  I think that is telling.

• Love 9

I was happy to see Sarah Hyland looking so healthy. I'm not a constant watcher, only dropping in from time to time since the episodes seem to work well as stand-alones, so the last time I watched were the Rainer Shine ones, because: Nathan Fillion.

So I was delighted when he poked his head in to deliver a single line.

ABC is really pushing The Rookie aren't they? Two guest appearances in one evening. I wonder how often Nathan will be on Jimmy Kimmel before the premiere. And if he will get some new jokes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Never thought Ranier was funny, never saw the chemistry.

I found them more creepy together due to the age difference. 

Nathan Fillion is funnier in The Santa Clarita Diet as a severed talking head

• Love 3
2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I didn't read Arvin as being embarrassed by Hailey, I saw it as him being embarrassed by his mother. 

Him and his father. Arvin wanted Hailey to meet his father but when he found out his mother would be joining them, he freaked out.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I found them more creepy together due to the age difference. 

Nathan Fillion is funnier in The Santa Clarita Diet as a severed talking head

Me too.  When I was 19-23/24 years old I wanted to date other 19 to 23 or 24 year old guys, not a guy who has a daughter close to my age!  (I know for some people that is cool but for me, hard pass.)

15 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I didn't read Arvin as being embarrassed by Hailey, I saw it as him being embarrassed by his mother. 

I see the part about him being embarrassed by his mom, however once he lied about the initials of Hailey's workplace, it crossed over into him lying about Hailey's job.

Per Nathan Fillon, real person:  Not surprised he showed up to deliver one line.  He started on soaps and have never shied away from that as some actors do.  He went back to One Life to Live for cameos and short stints, so one line on a sitcom doesn't surprise me.  Still don't like the character of Rainer, though, lol!

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

see the part about him being embarrassed by his mom, however once he lied about the initials of Hailey's workplace, it crossed over into him lying about Hailey's job.

But that was because he knows his mother is a judgemental ass who scares him and his father and he apologized for panickig. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I think Dylan and Hailey bring out the worst in each other and hope he isn't the endgame.

I completely agree, I think they do bring out the worst in each other. Andy might have brought out the "best" in Andy, but Andy was an idiot and oblivious at things all the time. Especially with Beth, how many other people would have said: "Fuck you too woman and your drama. Either you commit or go, because I want to settle down." 

• Love 1
On 5/10/2018 at 6:17 AM, Robert Lynch said:

Is the one playing the aunt the lady that played in those old SNL cat food commercials?

Sorry I am answering late, but yes, that's her! Mary Louise Wilson. 

My Haley endgame is no one. She is way too young and immature to even think of getting married to any of these chuckleheads. She's flighty, dramatic, and irresponsible with no career or even stable job, no independent living situation, and she just seems like a child. She hasn't really grown up since season 1, aside from a better sisterly relationship with Alex. Her preferred method of communication in a romantic relationship is throwing tantrums and waiting for the guy to come chasing after her. (Case in point, this episode: She dramatically shrieks to Arvin over the phone that she is breaking up with him and that they're over. Then at the hospital she tells Andy that she and Arvin are "complicated." No, hon, you broke up with him an hour ago, remember? That's not complicated. But of course he apologizes and tells her he loves her. For some reason.)

I'd rather she not end up married (or worse, pregnant) in her early 20s. What's the rush? I mean, yes, in the real world a Haley type would lock down an older, successful guy ASAP. But this is a nice sitcom about a likeable family and that would seem mean-spirited, albeit realistic.

• Love 9

When I said endgame, I didn't necessairly mean marriage I meant who she is with at the end of the show which assuming that is next year she will be 25/26 and I like her with Arvin.

23 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

of course he apologizes and tells her he loves her. For some reason.)

Because he is the one who fucked up? 

• Love 4
On 5/11/2018 at 9:28 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Me too.  When I was 19-23/24 years old I wanted to date other 19 to 23 or 24 year old guys, not a guy who has a daughter close to my age!  (I know for some people that is cool but for me, hard pass.)

Per Nathan Fillon, real person:  Not surprised he showed up to deliver one line.  He started on soaps and have never shied away from that as some actors do.  He went back to One Life to Live for cameos and short stints, so one line on a sitcom doesn't surprise me.  Still don't like the character of Rainer, though, lol!

I agree that the Rainer/Hayley relationship was awful. And not very well written, very one note.

And Santa Clarita Diet is great fun.

Why were they all there tho in her hospital room? I thought it was a dream at first. Haley and the professor are not really my cup of tea. I see no chemistry and I just can’t see why they are together. Why does Haley have to be with one of these guys anyways. She’s young and should be having fun and travelling and stuff. Stupid show.

The rest of the episode was garbage I ff thru most of it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

The nurse said they were her ICE. But why would your boyfriend be that and not your Mom or Dad? And why every boyfriend?

Her excusing saying she uses them to get out of conversations with her parents didn't make sense. Comes a point, where you delete them. She had her major upset with Dylan moving on in her life and everything with Rayner. So, Andy being there would still make sense, but everyone else. Yeah, if I haven't talked to someone or don't plan on seeing them unless by accident. They go out of my contact list. Plus, the amount of times Haily has broken or lost her phone. Shocked she knows how to use iCloud. 

On 5/15/2018 at 7:58 AM, chitowngirl said:

The nurse said they were her ICE. But why would your boyfriend be that and not your Mom or Dad? And why every boyfriend?

I bought Hailey's reasons for not having her Mom or Dad as ICE because.....even though my parents have passed, and before I remarried I still had my now husband as ICE as I did NOT want my sister or brother as ICE (namely sister knowing my business.    Andy showing up made sense, the others not so much.  I know Andy was second in the line up but ANdy is more stable.

On 5/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, biakbiak said:

I think Dylan and Hailey bring out the worst in each other and hope he isn't the endgame.

I am with you - plus he is married, has stepkids.......leave it alone, writers.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 12:54 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

am with you - plus he is married, has stepkids.......leave it alone, writers.

From the way it was written it doesn't appear they are planning to go in that direction.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1