Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: The Angel of San Bernardino

MostlyC

Lucifer and Chloe investigate a murder where a witness claims a winged guardian angel saved her life; Pierce and Chloe's relationship takes an interesting turn; Lucifer discovers something that could change everything.

Does anyone know if this is the last episode of the season?  

I was starting to wonder if we were going to be introduced to another celestial being, but in the end, everything fell into place.  The ending was as expected, but getting there wasn't as I thought it would be.  I found Pierce's reaction to be out of character.  Just how magical is Chloe?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Brandt tweeted earlier that Lucifer would return tomorrow with the last five episodes of the season.

Yep. I understand that there will be a total of 24 episodes this season, while another 2 filmed this year will be aired next season if the show is picked up. 

Damned ice storm.   Lost power about ten minutes in and got it back 20 minutes later.  Will have to rematch Monday.    Enjoyed what I saw.   Maze’s betrayal, Amenidial’s regrets, Pierce’s redemption, Chloe’s betrayal

Man. Maze must really be majorly peeved that Lucifer won't send her back to hell for her to go and set this up.  That's low. Even for Maze.

Dan was drinking. Wasn't he in AA?  Am I making this up or did they forget this?

Edited by greekmom
forgot to add...
  • Love 2

Post bender Lucifer should be featured more frequently! The detachment from “normal” behaviour gives me hope for some epically wrathful behaviour.

Edited by staphdude
  • Love 12

I've seen snippets of this episode already posted on Youtube from the Sunday viewing in Canada.

Just from those snippets I would love to see Tom Ellis because he is knocking it out of the park.

But I am so over the Magical Chloe factor that I can't bring myself to watch the show "live".  I'll wait till it's out on Demand where I can fast forward anything with Chloe and watch the good stuff. 

• Love 8

OK, that was terrible on so many levels. 

I hate the story line, I hate the way the characters are being developed.  I'm not even pleased that we've seen so little of Trixie this season that she looks at least a full year older than she did five or six episodes ago.  Starry eyed Chloe is risking her career and her livlihood; screwing her boss during working hours in a closet next to colleagues just gets them both fired.  Only one co-worker noticed?  Not bloody likely only one noticed.  

IMO the assorted lines from tonight could have been much better developed and fleshed out in three or four episodes. 

I used to enjoy replaying episodes in my mind; now I'm rewriting them as if I had control over how the story lines were to be developed. 

Maybe I'm just having a grouchy Monday?

• Love 12

Chloe is just so special. Blech. 

How tragic her heart was broken by a guy she’s dated for like a month. 

I guess Ellie won’t think it’s so “adorbs” anymore. 

Lucifer may think this is Bones. I think it’s Melrose Place. 

I’m resigned to the rest of this season being a huge disappointment. I hope the writers regroup before next season and get back to what made this show so good the first two seasons. I don’t think many people are tuning in for love triangles and petty jealousy. I also think they have too many characters to do any of them justice. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 11

The magic of Chloe... Blegh... Good on Maze for giving Luci some payback for his selfishness... So we reveal divinity to Charlotte and all we get is like 2 scenes if her balling out... Smh... Can we get a spinoff with celestials on earth.. In another city.. And amenadiel and Linda go there

• Love 8

Definitely not pleased with the turn the show has taken with this ridiculous love triangle.  I could deal with it if the two actors had any romantic and sexual chemistry on screen but they don't and it's overtaking the entire show.

Edited by LittleRed
Fixed grammar
  • Love 4

I just liked it because it brought the divinity issues back into focus, and we finally saw a faint glimpse of S1 Lucifer. Less cartoonish hooey (still there, but less), and the plot did inch slightly forward.

I hope they can keep this pace up and steer the plot back into line, and earn a fourth season. And IF that happens, it needs to go back to a 9pm or even 10pm time slot and go dark, at least for part of the way. Devil face, punishing people, etc.

Trust me, I'm as sick of the "dad is manipulating me wah wah wah " as Maze. Chloe should have been written out between S1 and S2. German can't act and there's never been an iota of chemistry between the leads. Chicago Fire showrunners probably came to the same conclusion when they killed off Shay after just two seasons. The farce between the two of them is needless and insulting to the audience. If they insist on keeping her around then advance the damned plot. What is her real purpose within the divinity story? Is TheBigReveal™ (and her reaction) end game of the show? Or does she never find out and she only exists for, what, exactly? Gaaaah.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 16

I never understood why Pierce would finally get to die if he dated Chloe, did they ever explain it? What was going to happen if he didn't stop & break up with her? Why is his mark gone?

I hated Charlotte when she was Lucifer's mom, & I don't like her any better now that she's just Charlotte. Why are they keeping this character?

What happened to the fun show?

• Love 7

I saw it as Pierce/Cain getting redemption by breaking up with Chloe before he really hurt her as he (and Maze?) had planned. Even if so, I agree with everyone:  big whoop. Did we run out of marerial? How far have the storyline and the characters strayed from the source?

• Love 5

I think Cain got it the wrong way round, he thought that Chloe made Lucifer mortal because she loved him when it's more likely that it was because he loves her.  I think Cain's mark is gone because he finally performed a selfless act ie giving up what he most wants to spare Chloe from being hurt.  Although, obviously he's hurt her but not as much as he was planning.  I really hope we get to find out why God put Chloe on earth, before the show gets cancelled!

Loving ruffled, sleep deprived Lucifer!

• Love 20
3 hours ago, CuddlerOfDragons said:

I think Cain got it the wrong way round, he thought that Chloe made Lucifer mortal because she loved him when it's more likely that it was because he loves her.  I think Cain's mark is gone because he finally performed a selfless act ie giving up what he most wants to spare Chloe from being hurt.  Although, obviously he's hurt her but not as much as he was planning.  I really hope we get to find out why God put Chloe on earth, before the show gets cancelled!

Loving ruffled, sleep deprived Lucifer!

I thought the only reason why Chloe made Lucifer mortal was because she was conceived for the sole purpose of thwarting/interfering/punishing (the show has never been clear) Lucifer for leaving hell. That story essentially got dropped along the way here. 

I really hate the idea that Cain, who has lived for thousands of years, has never truly loved before or performed a selfless act until the super special Chloe comes along. I’m not saying you’re wrong, the show might go that way. But I thought Cain wanted to die because he has continually lost all those he loved while he lives on. 

I think Chloe’s story should wrap up and she should be written out of the show. She drags down every scene. She has no chemistry with either Lucifer or Pierce. While Lucifer and Pierce actually did have chemistry. 

I think the only characters that should remain on the show are Lucifer, Maze, Linda, Amenadiel and Dan. They have far too many characters now leading to pointless scenes that add nothing just to squeeze a character in. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 13

Spoiler tag for those in countries that don't show previews

Spoiler

It was painfully obvious that after trying for so long to die, Cain would do a 180 and profess his desire to live once mortal and in WUV with Chloe. BS and a poor way to continue this season....should have shifted to Charlotte and the fallout from that revelation.

Even with his mellow time in LA and therapy with Dr. Linda, Lucifer is a massively powerful celestial being that ran Hell for a long time. He still needs to express that power...ie Maze should have been a quivering blob of goo after that revelation.

Edited by staphdude
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Was anyone else distracted by how much the dead victim's ex looked like Chloe? It was weird.

I wish Lucifer would just show Chloe his wings and be done with it. 

I'm assuming ( tho can't remember if this was said or shown explicitly)  that some of  his divinity stuff goes away when she's near... I know like  he gets hurt and maybe his devil face doesn't work?...  So maybe his wings don't come out around her... I mean if not then this is all just idiotic now... 

• Love 4

Too much soap opera angst. Please. Who wants to tune in every week to see an unmanned devil? Restore Lucifer to his Underworld majesty, wings, devil mask and all. Being counseled by Linda is humanity enough. Luci is too obsessed with the idea that unseen Almighty Dad manipulates every aspect of his life, when free will is Dad's m.o. Lucifer himself doesn't send people to hell, they do that themselves by their own choices. Maybe he should look into himself for answers instead of up to the heavens.

And why isn't Dan spending more time with Trixie, now that we know that he isn't an evil ex? He does improv. How cool is that?

• Love 8

When Amenadiel said "maybe a bored and confused  Angel did this", I really thought that was going to mean it was him, he was trying  to save people in the process of "Lucifers is test." Wtf is he doing  with his time? Its not a stretch he might do something like that given what hes going through. Dadforbid they give him a side story that's not a triangle.  

Chloe/Pierce makes sense if you only go with the start of this season. Other than that this continues  to not be the Chloe from season 1 and 2 who didn't  need approval and wouldn't have  gotten so attached to Pierce like this so fast. And she "didn't even care" about Trixie's approval in the last Chloe/Pierce scene. What? I'm still waiting on follow up on Maze/Trixie.

How is it possible I want to watch Bones when I stopped like half way through its run? I was overly delighted to see Brandon Barash on network primetime, and pegged him (Jeremy? )as the bad guy just because I'd  become use to everything  being Johnnys fault on General  Hospital. 

Tom Ellis  was awesome despite it all. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 6

I almost forgot... hubba hubba nearly naked Dan!

And fun factoid from EW's recap:  the guy who Lucifer recognized from his role in an episode of Bones:  he was the actor who really was in the episode of bones Lucifer was talking about.

• Love 11

Hmm... well, they are pulling TWD format (the beginning episodes good, everything in the middle you could do without and towards the end again good) after all. I like coke snorting, sleep deprived, manic Lucifer, he's fun and is not controlling himself. 

So, how did Cain loose his mark? All it took was a selfless act? That's too easy in my opinion, something elsee is going on, cause its not the final episode. In regards to Charlotte, how did she came to a conclusion that Amenediel and Lucifer would zap her to Heaven? I mean, what made her to make that impression in the first place?

• Love 5

It wasn't perfect, but I didn't hate it. It had awesome things, like high!Lucifer or his new love for "Bones", and I keep respecting the fact that he, unlike Piece, told Chloe the truth. Again. Also, I don't think Pierce lose his mark because he did a selfless act; it was because he gave up his biggest wish -meaning, he was ready to accept God's will for once-, and the fact that it had something to do with Chloe isn't really relevant. 

I didn't understand why Charlotte would think that Lucifer and Amenadiel were her ticket to avoid Hell but I think I get it now. That's the way she's always seen the world, isn't it? For her, having powerful friends/contacts means she's free to do what she wants because they will protect her from the consequences. Judges, cops, politicians, mob bosses...So of course she thinks it'll be the same with Lucifer and Amenadiel. It wasn't logical, but it's the way her brain is wired. 

• Love 13

I feel like this episode basically fast forwarded itself through a whole bunch of plot. The whole Maze-working-with-Pierce thing? That took all of five minutes to be announced, revealed, and over. Pierce dates Chloe to see if it'll help him die (or possibly just because he felt like it even if it wouldn't work). Again, she jumps to....whatever she jumped to...he cuts her off...mark gone... There was no real development of anything. In recent episodes we got totally predictable redundant generic Lucifer-is-jealous and now it blew up with...not really much there there in between.

• Love 1

So, now two ancient celestial beings are obsessed with Chloe? Really? Is her secret magical power being immortal cat nip or something? Because otherwise, I just dont get what the big deal is. She has her moments (especially in previous seasons) but shes mostly either a stick in the mud, or a giggling idiot. She isnt super interesting or nice or smart or mysterious or fun. Why, of all the people on the planet, is Chloe so awesome that freaking Lucifer and Cain are both so into her? They had better reveal this soon, or else I am gonna get super annoyed. More annoyed. I actually thought it was kind of interesting that Cain was dating her just to break her heart so he could die, but...now I have no clue what that means. 

I love the idea of an acting agency that hires people out to make it look like people have friends. Its so sad, I bet its a real thing somewhere. The CoTW was actually pretty decent, even if I called it being the baby mammas new husband right away. So he paid a guy to keep his wife's ex on drugs, then killed him when he got clean? Thats cold, dude. I did enjoy seeing Lucifer get his scary on when he confronted the guy. Theres the Devil we all know and love! His Turn Down for What montage was pretty great, and I love that he apparently binged the hell out of Bones, and that Bones actually become plot relevant! 

I do like that they did more with the celestial stuff this week, but its so bogged down by this love triangle boredom, that I couldnt even enjoy it. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I don't get why Maze wanted revenge on Chloe. I thought she was pissed at Dr. Linda and Amend guy. 

Maze is being such an epic asshole. She's causing such secondary, tertiary, and quartenary hurt because she hasn't learned how to deal with her primary hurt. She's mad at Linda and Amenadiel for secretly dating and lying to her. Because she was upset by that, she wanted Lucifer to take her back to hell. He refused to do that because it had unforseen negative consequences to Chloe. This is why Maze has chosen to work with Pierce because fucking Chloe over will fuck Lucifer. It still never gets to getting revenge on Linda or Amenadiel. It's all so dumb and childish.

Furthermore Lucifer needs to just let Chloe (and to a lesser extent Dan) see his wings. This dancing around divinity and celestial beings is boring and dumb. At many many points Lucifer, Amenadiel, and Maze have demonstrated how much they trust Chloe and Dan with matters of cosmic importance. Stop. Just stop with the dumb little Lucifer is just eccentric and British, but not divine game. It's boring. And frankly Grimm kept the secret from one character so long that it soured fans on the show. iZombie wisely decided to let more characters in on the zombie secret so that by season 3 every major character knew. Here only Charlotte and Linda know, which whut? Dan is essentially Amenadiel's best friend. You would think Amenadiel would be making an argument to let everyone know because Charlotte is so out of control that she's going to start blabbing to everyone.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Furthermore Lucifer needs to just let Chloe (and to a lesser extent Dan) see his wings.

Way past due for this. This week he’s trying to convince Chloe that Pierce is really Cain and of course she doesn’t believe him. He again did nothing to try to prove to her the truth such as unfurling the wings or having Linda or Amenadiel back him up.  And Chloe again looks like an idiot for hanging around with this delusional guy. 

• Love 9

They're acting so out of character:  There's no way Chloe would ever have had sex at work.  It wasn't that long ago that Maze was enjoying a sense of 'belonging' with her human family (Chloe and Trixie) and we're meant to believe that the Linda/Amendiel thing would turn her against everyone?  Oh and since when does someone who puts vodka on her cornflakes, decide that coconut water is her drink of choice?

I'm really hoping that Lucifer gets his wings out for Chloe soon.  Oh and could we have writers that have actually watched seasons 1&2?

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Ria said:

Way past due for this. This week he’s trying to convince Chloe that Pierce is really Cain and of course she doesn’t believe him. He again did nothing to try to prove to her the truth such as unfurling the wings or having Linda or Amenadiel back him up.  And Chloe again looks like an idiot for hanging around with this delusional guy. 

What bothers me is that at this point Chloe would either have to subconsciously believe Lucifer or think he's got a screw lose. But she can't not believe him and at the same time not do anything anymore. It's just not credible. So, there needs to be something that she does that shows that it's either or but she needs to do something. 

2 minutes ago, CuddlerOfDragons said:

I'm really hoping that Lucifer gets his wings out for Chloe soon.  Oh and could we have writers that have actually watched seasons 1&2?

So many posters have said it but I don't think that the writing itself has suffered. I think it's the plot. And if the writers are not allowed to move the plot forward and let the characters grow then there's nothing they can do.

I think it's the showrunner who is to blame. If we'd take each episode separately, they're good episodes. But the celestial plot points and characters aren't getting developed, so it seems like the showrunner's treating all of it like a procedural when it's only the case of the week that is procedural and the rest is serial.  

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

What bothers me is that at this point Chloe would either have to subconsciously believe Lucifer or think he's got a screw lose. But she can't not believe him and at the same time not do anything anymore. It's just not credible. So, there needs to be something that she does that shows that it's either or but she needs to do something. 

I agree in general, although I think in that particular scene she was operating under the assumption he was coked out of his mind. (why that wouldn't cause her to have more of a reaction than just calmly walking away is beyond me, but I think her not believing the Cain story and also not thinking he was nuts is because he looked like he was on a ton of drugs in that moment)

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I agree in general, although I think in that particular scene she was operating under the assumption he was coked out of his mind. (why that wouldn't cause her to have more of a reaction than just calmly walking away is beyond me, but I think her not believing the Cain story and also not thinking he was nuts is because he looked like he was on a ton of drugs in that moment)

Okay, I'll give them that. But there were countless other moments and she does accept his "desire" gift and has urged him to use it. And yet, she refuses to believe everything else and doesn't even seem to be considering that maybe, just maybe, he's telling the truth. How can you accept that someone has a "gift" and on the other hand not even consider that there's something to the stories he tells? That does not really fit.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah, now that I've thought about it, isnt it kind of weird that Chloe had very little reaction to Lucifer showing up to work obviously coked out of his mind, in an obvious state of unrest, and acting super twitchy and out of it? Yeah Lucifer is always a hard partier and general hedonist, and this certainly isnt his first time doing hard drugs, but he almost always keeps it together appearance wise. When he showed up to the station all bleary eyed and rambling, with his clothes and hair a mess, and pretty clearly on several kinds of drugs, having obviously not slept, you would think she would be a bit more concerned, or ask what was wrong. Yeah she told him to get more sleep and asked if it was about her and Pierce, but if one of my best friends showed up to our job clearly out of his mind on drugs and freaking out on random people (especially as a cop!) I would at least throw out a few "hey, are you alright? Do you wanna talk" kind of things. It makes her seem like she`s been so consumed with her giggly school girl crush, that she doesn't really notice anything else. And this is right after Maze had a total meltdown and was bringing drummers and stuff home when Trixie was there! Dan was the one to say something and figure out that something was up with Maze, it seems like Chloe has hardly noticed. Its not a great look on her. 

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

eah, now that I've thought about it, isnt it kind of weird that Chloe had very little reaction to Lucifer showing up to work obviously coked out of his mind, in an obvious state of unrest, and acting super twitchy and out of it? Yeah Lucifer is always a hard partier and general hedonist, and this certainly isnt his first time doing hard drugs, but he almost always keeps it together appearance wise.

Wasn't there a scene in a past Lucifer when he talked about how it was not possible for him to get drunk?  Or at least he couldn't get ton on a bender stage?  If booze wouldn't have impaired the Lucifer of previous seasons, why should we believe that cocaine etc. would do much beyond giving him a short lived buzz?

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Wasn't there a scene in a past Lucifer when he talked about how it was not possible for him to get drunk?  Or at least he couldn't get ton on a bender stage?  If booze wouldn't have impaired the Lucifer of previous seasons, why should we believe that cocaine etc. would do much beyond giving him a short lived buzz?

I dont remember that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true that he could only get a little buzz going or something like that, and then would be fine. But, Chloe doesn't know that. She just thinks he`s a normal (albeit weird) guy who is now acting super off and twitchy and clearly not sleeping. I guess she was distracted by her new romance, or she`s just used to Lucifer having weird mood swings about stuff she doesn't understand, but it just seemed crappy to me. But then, Chloe has never really struck me as someone super concerned with other people in her life, or really notices or comments on their lives or choices, unless it becomes plot relevant so I guess its consistent. 

I mean, to be fair, she did tell him to get some sleep when he was screaming about how he couldn't sleep. But, I guess that just goes back to what other people were saying. Its ridiculous that he hasn't just shown her his wings and told her the dang truth yet! So much hassle could be avoided!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

So many posters have said it but I don't think that the writing itself has suffered. I think it's the plot. And if the writers are not allowed to move the plot forward and let the characters grow then there's nothing they can do.

I think it's the showrunner who is to blame. If we'd take each episode separately, they're good episodes. But the celestial plot points and characters aren't getting developed, so it seems like the showrunner's treating all of it like a procedural when it's only the case of the week that is procedural and the rest is serial.  

It's that who's to blame?  The showrunner.  Right, OK then, I'll say sorry to the writers, if it's not their fault.

Some friends and I were trying to come up with daft future plots based on where we are now.  Funniest one:  Maze kills Cain, now that he's mortal.  Chloe finds out she's pregnant, Lucifer marries her and has to endure being barfed on by 'Spawn of Cain'.  Best part, Lucifer looks wrecked and sleep deprived all the time!!

Anyone else got any ideas?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

FOX doesn't have a 10pm slot...

Um, care to elaborate? Do you mean they do not have 10 PM slot (no one is letting them to have it, which is absurd, because in my country, every TV Channel can decided on their own in which hours of the day/night to air something) or they do not have a 10 PM slot available, cause they are airing something else at that time?

So, Amenadiel says "people can't handle being shown divinity".  Bull.  Yes, it threw her for a loop at first, but Linda has seen but Lucifer and the Goddess Mother and has survived.  Obviously people can handle it if shown right.

Charlotte's actions show the problem with Hell.  If any sin gets you eternal damnation, why not go all out?  It's not like you'll get eternity plus one hour.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Um, care to elaborate? Do you mean they do not have 10 PM slot (no one is letting them to have it, which is absurd, because in my country, every TV Channel can decided on their own in which hours of the day/night to air something) or they do not have a 10 PM slot available, cause they are airing something else at that time?

The only show local news at 10:00 pm

• Love 4