Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: The Carpenters Strike Back

A new mother is desperate for relaxation and a new mom cave, while her neighbors need a multi-purpose room for kids and parents alike; one designer's bright color choice makes a loud impact, in more ways than one.

They rocked that. Finally some beautiful rooms on Trading Spaces. Ty’s room looked so polished and finished—loved it. Carter’s room was really pretty and well done. So now what has been the designers excuse?  This is the kind of thing That should have been done all of the time. 

• Love 24

I liked Carter's room except the closet doors looked distressed? Maybe they were already that way, I didn't see. I hate the distressed look. I was very impressed by how the ombre effect turned out. Especially when it started out pretty rough looking.

I thought Ty's was well done. Why did she hate that pretty floor? My only problem was that the triangles and floor tiles looked randomly placed. I need symmetry or a repeated pattern. I'm glad the homeowners were so open about it. Great job and attitude.

Kinda laughed at the blue team lady with her false eyelashes and perfect hair and manicure. Well, I guess it is tv after all!

• Love 6

Ty and Carter both did really lovely, polished rooms...wow, that was nice.  I was nervous for the homeowners to see Ty's room, because it wasn't what they wanted but it was actually very well done.  I didn't want them to hate it and ruin Ty's experience.  (I really don't believe they liked it, but they didn't react badly.)

It was cool to see what ever became of ANTM Cycle 6's Joanie!

Edited by Marmiarmo
Overuse of the word NICE!!
  • Love 13

Well, that was a much more enjoyable episode than last week's.  

I thought Carter's room was very pretty, if a bit dated.  I noticed a child-sized chair in there, which was a sweet touch. 

Ty surprised me - his room was better than at least half of the designers would have come up with, and he showed actual concern for the couple's own taste. 

Can't say much about the two newbie carpenters other than that they seem okay so far.  I'm all for keeping them so that the cast can be bloated enough to force Hildi out entirely.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I liked Carter's room except the closet doors looked distressed? Maybe they were already that way, I didn't see. I hate the distressed look. I was very impressed by how the ombre effect turned out. Especially when it started out pretty rough looking.

I thought Ty's was well done. Why did she hate that pretty floor? My only problem was that the triangles and floor tiles looked randomly placed. I need symmetry or a repeated pattern. I'm glad the homeowners were so open about it. Great job and attitude.

I don't hate bright colors but I don't really like orange/yellow. Personally I would have picked up the blues and greens from the pillows, instead. But I really liked the finished room. The bright colors weren't overwhelming, but made the gray less...gray (and I really like the gray). I thought the pink room was really pretty. I would totally let Carter design a room for me.

I wasn't too worried about the fire because I figured if they had to evacuate and couldn't finish...well, we wouldn't be watching this episode.

• Love 13

I thought Ty’s room was probably one of the best of the franchise.  I liked the wall pattern even before the colors but I thought it was really well done—take note Hildi.

Carter was thoughtful but I found it a little boring and not so cohesive.

• Love 14

The budgeting is obviously vastly different, but it’s not like this was the first time Ty or Carter have designed rooms for a gimmicked TV show.

In some ways, they’re both much better versed and qualified for this type of set-up at this point than the ones labeled designers — and it clearly showed, given how great both of their rooms were tonight.

• Love 8

Those rooms were great.  I especially loved Ty’s room as Carter’s was a bit too Pinterest distressed for my taste but it was well done.  Ty’s room went so well with the attached kitchen, not your typical odd room out done on TS.  The only thing I didn’t 100% like in Ty’s room were the curtains, I actually liked the pattern, just not the tab tops.  I would probably get orange curtains with grommets or an orange pocket sheer or something.

I think the homeowners may have disliked the laminate because it was red toned and they said they love grey.  The reddish floor is a bit dated but it looked in good shape.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 4

I thought the She room was pretty but not terribly practical. The daybed looked uncomfortable to sit in or lay down on and those little puffs on the floor were too close to the ground. And maybe it's just me, but those hanging flower vases remind me of the ones in mausoleums, plus it's a pain to replace and water those flowers. 

The other room looked like a fun family place although I didn't like the colors or the curtains but it looks very usable.

• Love 14

What was great about Ty’s room was that if the homeowner really didn’t like the pops of color, they could easily paint the triangles a shade of grey and replace the floor squares with grey ones.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 24
27 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Kinda laughed at the blue team lady with her false eyelashes and perfect hair and manicure. Well, I guess it is tv after all!

I don't need perfect symmetry, but it seemed out of balance, that was my only quibble. That was a beautifully designed room--I'm a fan!

I agree that blue team lady was camera ready but it was kind of a nice change of pace, compared with the frumpy/dated homeowners from the re-runs!  

The male carpenter (Brett?) reminds me of Peter Hermann, Mariska Hargitay's husband.

I haven't watched TLC in years--possibly since Trading Spaces ended its original run--and now I'm getting sucked in. I don't think my husband is going to be thrilled.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

What was great about Ty’s room was that if the homeowner really didn’t like the pops of color, they could easily paint the triangles a shade of grey and replace the floor squares with grey ones.

Or if they preferred the green and blue colours they could repaint the orange and yellow and get some additional floor tiles.  From my tv the painting quality looked pretty good, I did like the overall shade of grey and the small tile-like patterned fabric.

It did feel nicer to see a larger room, it is easier to see the whole design and the finished room doesn’t look to so cluttered.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 9
44 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Why are they considering Ty a new designer since he led Extreme Home Makeover and often designed his own room?

Probably because he’s never had the Trading Spaces rules of $2000 and 2 days. 

• Love 4

I suspect someone fixed that ombré wall. We saw it dried and it clearly wasn't blended enough. Then we didn't see the homeowners painting after that and then suddenly it was perfect.

I wish I had those "horrible" hardwood floors in my house. But I was SO happy that they didn't glue down the floor tiles so that they could be changed or just removed.

Both Ty and Carter did a good job. Maybe they'll let Paige design a room next.

2 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

Did they mention that and I missed it or did you just spot that on your own!?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, fountain said:

The only thing I didn’t 100% like in Ty’s room were the curtains, I actually liked the pattern, just not the tab tops.  I would probably get orange curtains with grommets or an orange pocket sheer or something.

There were a lot of competing patterns in Ty's room, so I would have gone with a solid colored curtain, as well. Hildi's room last week was a mess, but could have been improved with solid colored curtains rather than adding more pattern. There's nothing wrong with solid colored curtains, designers!

• Love 6

Exactly this.  One of things that made me angry in the past was how overboard some designers seemed to go after learning that the homeowner would not like something that was being planned.  Its like they would intentionally go out of their way to feature that unwanted element.  In this case, Ty used the bright colors, but kept them to a minimum, and made it easy for homeowners to change out, if they really hated it.  To this day, I wonder how difficult Doug's many Tuscan and paper wall features were to remove without damage to drywall. 

Edited by okwmember
correct syntax
  • Love 11

I saw bits and pieces of this episode, but mostly just the “here’s what we did” and reveal segment, plus I was watching on a small TV.  So, from that limited perspective:

Ty’s room:

Multi-colored floor carpet tiles over wood that didn’t cover the whole room, so there was still a hardwood border.  I keep most of my (1930s) hardwood bare, but cover parts of it with area rugs, so I’m not automatically opposed, at all, but what they covered seemed more attractive than what they covered it with.  I liked the similar color pattern on the wall, though.  It’s just an okay room, but what they had before was criminally boring, so it’s an improvement.  I like that the homeowner who thought she hated bright colors liked the way they were used.  Good room, just needs a little adjustment to be a great room.

Carter’s room:

Ugh, pink.  It’s the one color I just can’t look past.  Even with the ombre, that was too pink.  Even if I liked the color, it was a boring room.  Having not seen the introduction, I don’t even understand what sort of room it’s supposed to be.  It’s for her, but what is she supposed to do in there?  She was a lot happier than I’d have been with it.  I wouldn’t have been mad, because I could easily fix it, but it was just a boring room to me.

• Love 4

I liked both rooms but neither are my personal taste. I think Ty and Carter did a very good job though.

I could have done without the manufactured drama for the new carpenters though.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

Omg yes! I thought she looked familiar but didn’t bother to check. Awesome! I’m sure Tyra will take some credit. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I suspect someone fixed that ombré wall. We saw it dried and it clearly wasn't blended enough. Then we didn't see the homeowners painting after that and then suddenly it was perfect.

I wish I had those "horrible" hardwood floors in my house. But I was SO happy that they didn't glue down the floor tiles so that they could be changed or just removed.

Both Ty and Carter did a good job. Maybe they'll let Paige design a room next.

Did they mention that and I missed it or did you just spot that on your own!?

Joanie was a favorite of mine, because of her cockeyed smile.  I knew it was her right away, but no, they never mentioned it.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

Joanie was a favorite of mine, because of her cockeyed smile.  I knew it was her right away, but no, they never mentioned it.

Nicely spotted! What a cool bit of trivia about this episode.

• Love 2

When Ty first opened the paint cans, I rolled my eyes as I had visions of a Hildi room.  But - wow - that room came together in a way I never expected.  Everything worked - including the Wayfair piece.   Wasn't crazy about the curtains, but the rest of it was great.  And as has been said upthread - if the owners didn't like the pops of color, it could be easily changed. 

Carter's room was ok IMO, not great, but better than what we've seen from some of the so-called "designers", and the homeowner seemed to like it, so fine. 

But  overall, it was nice to see them out-design the "designers".

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the She room was pretty but not terribly practical. The daybed looked uncomfortable to sit in or lay down on and those little puffs on the floor were too close to the ground. And maybe it's just me, but those hanging flower vases remind me of the ones in mausoleums, plus it's a pain to replace and water those flowers. 

The other room looked like a fun family place although I didn't like the colors or the curtains but it looks very usable.

I really thought that the daybed would have been much more practical if it had a big drawer under it for extra storage. 

• Love 3

I agree with the consensus that Carter and Ty did a much better job this week than Hildy and Doug did last week. Ty did something that reminds me of the critiques on Project Runway when they say that the designer made a creation that looks expensive. Or in Trading Spaces' case, at least not cheap. And with that huge room, that was an accomplishment.

Boy, Paige was extra effervescent in some of her scenes with Ty. She doesn't usually bug me, but she was acting like a school girl with a crush on her older brother's friend.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, SHD said:

I suspect the same thing about Ty's room. The open shelving unit (which the carpenter was supposed to build) just appeared in the room on the morning of the second day fully painted, but painting it wasn't left as homework, and they never showed the neighbors painting anything other than the walls. And I really doubt that the neighbor guy sewed and stuffed all of those pillows on his own.

For the daybed in Carter's room, I thought the carpenter's idea of having the storage doors inset into the frame would have looked much better that set onto the front which I thought made the piece look kind of cheap. Carter was wrong when he said that having the doors inset would look too modern. I have a built in linen cabinet with inset doors in my 1926-vintage house.

• Love 8

Carter and Ty did great! Carter's wasn't my taste, but the homeowner seemed to LOVE it and it fit what she was looking for. She has great hair, BTW. Ty's had too much pattern for my taste but I would kill for that wall. I'd pair it with a plain rug though because the rug and wall had too much competing pattern for my taste. That said, of the four rooms we've had so far this season I would take Ty's, then Doug's, then Carters. If I had Hildi's I'd have to burn my house down. lol 

I'm so happy to see Joanie again. She is one of my all time favorite Top Model contestants. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

I suspect the same thing about Ty's room. The open shelving unit (which the carpenter was supposed to build) just appeared in the room on the morning of the second day fully painted, but painting it wasn't left as homework, and they never showed the neighbors painting anything other than the walls. And I really doubt that the neighbor guy sewed and stuffed all of those pillows on his own.

I read an old article last week about the behind-the-scenes (I think someone posted it on either the reunion part 1 thread or last week's episode thread) and it mentioned a sewing coordinator (in a scene where the designer was showing one of the homeowners how to sew a pillow, apparently there wasn't actually any thread in the machine; most of it was done by someone else) and a second carpenter who didn't appear on camera (they quoted Amy Wynn Pastor saying something about feeling bad about taking credit for another person's work when they pretended she did it all herself). It also mentioned crew members helping to paint and stuff - including Doug, who they said did a lot of work when the cameras were off, despite his jokingly lounging around with a drink while the homeowners worked, so maybe he's not quite as much of a jerk as he sometimes comes across. (The episode the writer was at was the one with his blue and white bedroom.) So there's lots of behind-the-scenes help. What with all their various extra art projects and such, I can't imagine they'd get anywhere close to finishing the rooms in the time they have without it. If they asked me to sew pillows, it would take me forever and they probably wouldn't look great, because I don't sew. (And if they asked me to blow out five dozen eggs, I'd tell them they're nuts, because ew.)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I read an old article last week about the behind-the-scenes (I think someone posted it on either the reunion part 1 thread or last week's episode thread) and it mentioned a sewing coordinator (in a scene where the designer was showing one of the homeowners how to sew a pillow, apparently there wasn't actually any thread in the machine; most of it was done by someone else) and a second carpenter who didn't appear on camera (they quoted Amy Wynn Pastor saying something about feeling bad about taking credit for another person's work when they pretended she did it all herself). It also mentioned crew members helping to paint and stuff - including Doug, who they said did a lot of work when the cameras were off, despite his jokingly lounging around with a drink while the homeowners worked, so maybe he's not quite as much of a jerk as he sometimes comes across. (The episode the writer was at was the one with his blue and white bedroom.) So there's lots of behind-the-scenes help. What with all their various extra art projects and such, I can't imagine they'd get anywhere close to finishing the rooms in the time they have without it. If they asked me to sew pillows, it would take me forever and they probably wouldn't look great, because I don't sew. (And if they asked me to blow out five dozen eggs, I'd tell them they're nuts, because ew.)

This is very interesting given that Paige had just said the HOs and designer did all the work themselves with no helpers, in the previous hour!!  

I am all for the helpers and I wish they would just openly admit that.  My husband and I built our own house in the 70s, all of it (2 and 1/2 stories) including wiring and plumbing.  I sewed all  the curtains and pillow covers over the years, and there were many changes in decor.  I painted the wall to change color very often, too.  I have never been under the illusion that 3 people plus one carpenter could do a room in less than 48 hours as was said in the previous hour!  It is insulting to viewers when you think about it.  

2 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

For the daybed in Carter's room, I thought the carpenter's idea of having the storage doors inset into the frame would have looked much better that set onto the front which I thought made the piece look kind of cheap. Carter was wrong when he said that having the doors inset would look too modern. I have a built in linen cabinet with inset doors in my 1926-vintage house.

I didn't pick up on this but I did notice the show flowed easily and the hour flew by.  This was clearly the reason.  I hope this continues because I used to do a lot of FF with the old shows.  Sewing is one thing I always skipped.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Carter and Ty did great! Carter's wasn't my taste, but the homeowner seemed to LOVE it and it fit what she was looking for. She has great hair, BTW. Ty's had too much pattern for my taste but I would kill for that wall. I'd pair it with a plain rug though because the rug and wall had too much competing pattern for my taste. That said, of the four rooms we've had so far this season I would take Ty's, then Doug's, then Carters. If I had Hildi's I'd have to burn my house down. lol 

Neither one was really my taste, but I could live with either one if I had to and I thought Carter's was really pretty (a little too girly for me; if nothing else, I'd replace the pink with blue and lose the dream catchers). I thought Ty's would be great for something like a kids' rec room; it came out looking pretty cool but I wouldn't want it in my living room. Last week I was thinking if I had been the sister working with Hildi, after the cameras left I'd be offering to go paint shopping the next day and help paint over it, despite the amount of work that went into it. Also, I'd have fun smashing the egg shells against a brick wall or something. It'd be a great way of working off some stress after spending two days with Hildi (especially since the end result was basically the opposite of a relaxing space; I think just hanging out in there would raise my blood pressure). 

Vern and Genevieve are next week! If I had to pick a designer, I think it'd be Vern.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Vern and Genevieve are next week! If I had to pick a designer, I think it'd be Vern.

Yay! I like watching both of them, even if I don't like what they end up doing I enjoy spending time with them. I'd want to work with Gen and have Vern do my room. This time I'd have wanted to work with Carter (yum) and have Ty do my room. Last week I would have just walked out. Ha! I think I'd rather work with....maybe Doug I guess, but that would mean Hildi was doing my room so NO!!!! But I hate everything about Hildi and wouldn't want to spend more than a minute dealing with her so, yeah, I'd walk out on that episode. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Multi-colored floor carpet tiles over wood that didn’t cover the whole room, so there was still a hardwood border.  I keep most of my (1930s) hardwood bare, but cover parts of it with area rugs, so I’m not automatically opposed, at all, but what they covered seemed more attractive than what they covered it with. 

That was laminate not hard wood and why she hated it.   

• Love 1

I didn't think the real issue in Ty's LR was the bright colors, but the very, very busy shapes, everywhere.  It was a lot to take in, especially in the wide view.  There was no place to focus the eye.  

34 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm so happy to see Joanie again. She is one of my all time favorite Top Model contestants. 

So is she a carpenter IRL, or does she just play one on TV?

13 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the She room was pretty but not terribly practical. The daybed looked uncomfortable to sit in or lay down on and those little puffs on the floor were too close to the ground.

Totally agree.  I've never understood those crate type furniture pieces that were super-popular in the 80s, especially having sat in some of them.  

• Love 3

So I've decided they must plant items in the Wayfair shop that go with the planned designs (probably chosen by the designers themselves), so if they're not actively steering the homeowners toward specific pieces (which I would not be surprised if they are), they're at least more likely to choose them. Last week there was a pair of green lamps that went perfectly with Doug's Hawaiian color scheme, and this week there's an ottoman that nicely complements the curtains in the pink room and a yellow chair that goes great with Ty's color pops. Coincidence? I doubt it. ;)

• Love 6

Ty's concept was good but he went overboard.  I loved the curtains and accent wall.  The carpet floor tiles are a good way to go but he failed by adding another shape and a new color.   There was no focal point and way too busy.   Just eliminating the print couch pillows would help and I bet the HO did just that.  

I was surprised to see $2,000 go so far in Ty's room and do so little in Tyler's.  That tiny room looked kind of bare.  Why such a small desk?  There was room on that wall for a longer one.  I would have made the day bed low with big soft pillows on the back.  There is no need for storage under it; this was a room for relaxing.  When her daughter is a little older she would be able to crawl up on it and possibly fall asleep for a nap next to mom.  It was a sweet room that she loved so that was good.   And what he did was well done.  

22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So I've decided they must plant items in the Wayfair shop that go with the planned designs (probably chosen by the designers themselves), so if they're not actively steering the homeowners toward specific pieces (which I would not be surprised if they are), they're at least more likely to choose them. Last week there was a pair of green lamps that went perfectly with Doug's Hawaiian color scheme, and this week there's an ottoman that nicely complements the curtains in the pink room and a yellow chair that goes great with Ty's color pops. Coincidence? I doubt it. ;)

They sure do!   The man immediately went for a hanging light fixture that would never have worked in Ty's room!  Enter Paige saying, what about that yellow chair?  :^)   Good save, girl.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Wings said:

They sure do!   The man immediately went for a hanging light fixture that would never have worked in Ty's room!  Enter Paige saying, what about that yellow chair?  :^)   Good save, girl.  

Ha! I think I missed her saying that. 

• Love 1

I have the episode on pause and looking at Ty's room again.  The pillows are not the culprit I thought initially, it is the rug.  He has too many colored tiles in it.  The owners could buy more light gray tiles to replace some of the green ones.   The room is for their teenagers who will love it so it shouldn't matter all that much to them.  They did say they liked it though and it sounded sincere.  This room is right off the kitchen so I presume there is another living room space the adults use.  

They really should do a follow up show at the end of the season.   I suppose it would be bad for PR since they create the illusion that the HOs keep their rooms as they are with the exception of those who flip out.  

28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Ha! I think I missed her saying that. 

I remembered the scene wrong.  It was the woman HO who spotted the chair.  The scene is edited so I am not totally convinced Paige did not do any steering.  

• Love 1

I'm embarrassed to admit that I coveted blonde homeowner's room before it got the makeover--that floor is gorgeous. Did brunette homeowner spend hours in the beauty salon ahead of this? Full hair and makeup and fake lashes?

Joanie! Love her. It's comforting to me that she's put on a couple of pounds--she's so pretty still!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I coveted blonde homeowner's room before it got the makeover--that floor is gorgeous. Did brunette homeowner spend hours in the beauty salon ahead of this? Full hair and makeup and fake lashes?

Joanie! Love her. It's comforting to me that she's put on a couple of pounds--she's so pretty still!

The floor is laminate, not wood. 

Edited by Wings

Does anyone know what they do with the furniture that comes out of the room and doesn't go back in? I thought their old couch looked way more comfortable than the one Ty bought. I also thought it funny that the room was supposed to be set up for family board games, and the tiny table at the other end had three uncomfortable looking chairs at it.

• Love 1

I thought, overall, Ty and Carter did a decent job (obviously better than Hildi, but that is setting the bar pretty low).

Carter's room to me didn't seem cohesive. It felt like a bunch of stuff put in the room. The ombre was an interesting idea. The desk was small and I wasn't thrilled with the green. He could have tied it together better with some green pillows. HATED the dream catchers. And the doors on the closet looked like they had a coat of primer on them and never got the finish coat. 

I thought Ty's room was a little busy with all of the different shapes. I LOVED the accent wall before they added the orange and yellow. It was subtle but cool. I felt like it the colors were a bit too much with the wall and flooring and curtains. Maybe if he left the wall in the gray colors, and then the color tiles on the floor would have been better, IMO. 

• Love 3

I have to say that I liked both rooms.  Would I keep everything that was in them?  No, but to switch things out would be simple and pretty reasonable amount of money.  In Ty's room, I would have taken out the bright squares and made the "rug" area smaller with just the gray.  The pillows I would have spread around the room instead of just grouped in one area.  But other than those two things I would have kept the room as is - it looked like a pretty cool gathering place.

As for Carter's, I liked it too (I like how pink and green look together).  Two changes I would have made: take down the dream catchers and those flower things - I really don't like them; the desk could have been a bit more practical for working on whether for a hobby or for a job.

Carter and Ty both did things that could easily be changed, moved around, or taken out without too much work, time, or money.  They both did a good job. In fact IMO much better than last week's designers.  As someone said, the bar that Hildi set is pretty low.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Wings said:

That was laminate not hard wood and why she hated it.   

Exactly.  

I liked Carter’s room in theory but the practice was a little off.  Loved the hombre wall.  Loved the daybed.   I thought the green desk and other neutral toned accessories like the curtains and things they put on the floor were nice. However, the cabinet just randomly placed on the wall looked out of place and I hated all the wall accessories.  Did someone say funeral home?  I agree.  What about floating shelves on that wall with art, pictures, etc?  Or actual art?  

Ty’s room was pretty cool.  It was exactly what he said it would be.  Like the homeowner, I got used to the random color. The only thing I found objectionable was that cheap and uncomfortable-looking couch.  If I’m the homeowner I replace that thing stat.

Overall, a refreshing change.  

Edited by TOL
  • Love 3