Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Jennifer & Marissa's Story

• Start Topic

Wasn't it remarkable how mobile Jennifer was?  She had those horrible balloon-y legs--I think most of her weight was in the lower half of her body--yet she was able to do those stairs--whining all the way, but she was physically able to go up and down them.  I don't understand why someone like her had to be waited on so completely.  She was able to walk to the bathroom and kitchen; why hadn't she been shown how to cook earlier than this?  Hell, why didn't she look at a cookbook or a fucking Family Circle and figure something out?  She seemed to be surprised she was able to walk as far as she did--I wonder if she has some form of body-power dysmorphia, making her have an unrealistic idea of what her body can't do.  Her daughter was open about how tired she was of having to take care of her mother, so maybe this "inability" was Jennifer being passive-aggressive toward her daughter?  Maybe because Jennifer didn't have much of a young adult life, she resented the idea that Marissa might get to do things she, Jennifer, had not been able to do?  Jennifer was a beautiful woman, even while so fat, and maybe she was used to being waited on as part of being treated special.  It was a really interesting dynamic in the midst of this snoozefest, that the daughter wanted desperately not to be tied 24/7 to her mom, and the mother apparently able to do lots more for herself than she was letting on.  No wonder the daughter ate; I have myself eaten what I shouldn't out of impotent fury.  I mean, what's the daughter supposed to do?  If she challenges her mother, she's going to get those *eyes* and the eyebrows with the persistent downward slope and feel like a cruel daughter.  She's in a real bind.  I'd dye my hair blue, too.

• Love 3

I really like these two women. And they are trying BUT they need a sit down with a nutritionist and a behavioral counselor. I have a bad stress eating disorder and have been working on meditating to deal with stress instead of stuffing food in my mouth. You don't necessarily understand good eating habits from reading about wacky diets - carbs are bad, fat is bad, Low fat is good, Weight Watchers says this is a FREE food!, etc. But even I knew that if you were on the road you could swing by Wendy's and grab a chili and a salad. I also work on mindful eating, slowing my chewing, putting my fork down between bites, using chopsticks ( I know, I know) and it's helped immensely but I had to go through lots of programs and classes to have it sink in. I am working on this so that I don't have to consider surgery in my future because I know too many people who ate and drank themselves up back up to obesity again. 

I was thinking that they would see the other person stuffing and stuffing food in and slow it down a bit. But they don't seem to even look at each other and just stare at the television with glazed eyes. Maybe viewing the show them how bad the behavior is.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

Wasn't it remarkable how mobile Jennifer was?  She had those horrible balloon-y legs--I think most of her weight was in the lower half of her body--yet she was able to do those stairs--whining all the way, but she was physically able to go up and down them.  I don't understand why someone like her had to be waited on so completely.  She was able to walk to the bathroom and kitchen; why hadn't she been shown how to cook earlier than this?  Hell, why didn't she look at a cookbook or a fucking Family Circle and figure something out?  She seemed to be surprised she was able to walk as far as she did--I wonder if she has some form of body-power dysmorphia, making her have an unrealistic idea of what her body can't do.  Her daughter was open about how tired she was of having to take care of her mother, so maybe this "inability" was Jennifer being passive-aggressive toward her daughter?  Maybe because Jennifer didn't have much of a young adult life, she resented the idea that Marissa might get to do things she, Jennifer, had not been able to do?  Jennifer was a beautiful woman, even while so fat, and maybe she was used to being waited on as part of being treated special.  It was a really interesting dynamic in the midst of this snoozefest, that the daughter wanted desperately not to be tied 24/7 to her mom, and the mother apparently able to do lots more for herself than she was letting on.  No wonder the daughter ate; I have myself eaten what I shouldn't out of impotent fury.  I mean, what's the daughter supposed to do?  If she challenges her mother, she's going to get those *eyes* and the eyebrows with the persistent downward slope and feel like a cruel daughter.  She's in a real bind.  I'd dye my hair blue, too.

They were both quite mobile. I also didn't think Marissa looked like she weighted that much. 

Jennifer has a very beautiful face. Its interesting because I didn't think it looked so full when she was at her largest. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

"His name was Rico, he wore a diamond..." 

OMG. If we ever get a "Rico" (or a Tony) and Lola is his therapist…I won't be able to contain myself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, cpcathy said:

Random question: do we all think the producers tell these people NOT to try the diet on their own prior to getting to see Dr Now. I'm always amazed at the meals, pre Dr visit, as well as the sheer portions. And they finish it ALL. No one has ever said, "hey, I'm going to this Dr, perhaps I should try to lose a couple of pounds before I get there?" I think sometimes it's producer-driven, like we MUST see the shower scene, we MUST see the drive thru/huge breakfast/grocery store visit. I doubt the producers would want them to start eating chicken salad and drinking huge bottles of water.

Years ago I used to do WW with a bunch of women from the same office building. We'd go get weighed and then have a big restaurant lunch. : )  You don't have to be 600 lbs to be stupid.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

All of the people I know who have had weight loss surgery had to go through psychological counseling prior to weight loss surgery. Why isn’t this the case with Dr. Now’s patients?

A few years ago one of my employees  brothers was  a patient  of Dr. Nowzaradan  and I ask her this very  question . She said her brother  had to go to therapy  before  he received  the surgery.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2018 at 10:16 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

It always amazes me how limber some of these big people are in their legs. Like when the mom was sitting on the floor of the apartment they were moving into watching everyone else do things, her legs weren't in a split but they were pretty far apart. It seems like sitting that way with her legs sprawled out on either side of her would be miserably uncomfortable considering that she doesn't move or stretch much. I've seen some of them sit with legs even wider spread than that.

enhance (1).jpeg

On 4/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

I haven't tried the waddle walk but I do a similar pose to hers sometimes in yoga. If she could lean forward and try to touch her toes, she would really have something going on even if she could get nowhere near her toes. Just to try to make that stretch would do her so much good.

It reminds me of a baby that is just learning to sit up. And it would be very uncomfortable to sustain that position day in and day out and yet these very unfit people do just that. It's a reminder of what the human body can do, I guess.

I've only made it through the first page here, but this ugly thing popped into my mind and I had to add it. It's at the Met, so beware -- if you turn the wrong corner in the Mesoamerican gallery this will be in your face!

Olmec Figure.jpg

12 hours ago, Takogirl said:

How y’all doing? (Excuse my pronunciation I’m Australian).

That's okay, I'm pretty sure Persian + Texan works out to Australian.

And one more thing: I guess I'm a meanie but I did not like either of these women at all. Jennifer's pouty-ass sad-sack voice drove me NUTS. Suck it up and talk like a grownup! She needs some serious help, way beyond this show.

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 7
On 4/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

It always amazes me how limber some of these big people are in their legs.

If you watched Family By the Ton, Chitoka, who was what? maybe 700 lbs, was like that.  Pretty much bed-bound, but sat as if doing splits.

• Love 5
On 4/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, knuckles491 said:

It seems to me that the psychologist, whom I have seen on another episode, is a man.  Am I crazy?

I think you're talking about Dr. Matthew Paradise - he did see Steven Assanti, but IRC he also saw some of Dr. Now's patients in earlier episodes.  I like him better than Dr. Baby Voice.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, zoemom said:

It wasn't easy for my aunt, but by following Dr. Now's program and having a gastric bypass (this was before they started doing sleeves) was able to lose 225 lbs and has maintained her weight loss for six years.  She now weighs 170 lbs. no longer needs meds for diabetes or high blood pressure.  

Congratulations to your Aunt! It’s great to hear that what we see on the show isn’t the whole story regarding his practice. 

12 minutes ago, zoemom said:

I'd also like to see more in depth look at what really goes on "behind the scenes" with those who are going through the process.   Not sure why they don't/won't do this, wonder if there is some aspect that would be HIPPA violation, but I'd think since all of the participants agree to have the production company follow them around, that wouldn't be an issue.   The patient monologue, backstory and degrading shower scenes are really getting old and predictable.  I'm over watching constant food shoveling (we all know they didn't get to their weight by eating salad) and uncomfortable road trips.

This^^^ 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zoemom said:

IIRC, a couple seasons back in one of those "Where Are They Now" episodes Dr. Now hired one of his patients (can't recall name) who had been successful to be one of the members of the peer group in his office. 

Melissa Morris.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, dahling said:

Marissa must be 8 feet tall and built like a brick outhouse. I almost fell over at her initial weight-in of 500+ lbs. I was thinking in the neighborhood of 300. 

Yes. That floored me. She seemed in so much better shape than her mom.  Even when she lost weight it seemed like it showed right away. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Mothra said:

I'd say that selflessness is not a strong suit for any of the people on the show. They don't get where they are by being aware of the needs of people around them, and that includes their own kids. I'm sure that she does resent her daughter for the simple fact that her daughter was smart enough not to get pregnant at an early age.

I think actions speak louder than words. And, if you look at Jennifer's action or lack thereof, she's put her daughter in a horrible bind, something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Whether calling Dr. Now had more to do with Jennifer's unhappiness or her desire for her daughter to see a better life, I can't say. However, a smarmy sweet demeanor is not necessarily indicative of a kind personality. 

I think some of them do have a body-power dysmorphia which couples nicely with good old-fashioned laziness.

To me, observing the subtleties of their unhealthy dynamic made it less of a snoozefest. 

All this harsh criticism aside, I don't want to see a bad future for Jennifer, but I do think the prognosis is far better for her daughter.  That's why I said I can see her daughter moving on and Jennifer getting stuck with a far more abusive caregiver, one who won't quite be able to put his finger on the nature of her manipulations and will respond to his own frustrations with cruelty. It's an awful thought, I know, but without her daughter, I don't think Jennifer's options are good. It's slim pickins for a women of size. And if she doesn't learn better coping skills than apathy and baby tears, she won't find much good in life. Only 5% of these people actually make it long-term (although with the work Dr. Now is doing I'm hopeful that percentage is significantly higher). That being said, Jennifer won't make it into that margin.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I've only made it through the first page here, but this ugly thing popped into my mind and I had to add it. It's at the Met, so beware -- if you turn the wrong corner in the Mesoamerican gallery this will be in your face!

Olmec Figure.jpg

That's okay, I'm pretty sure Persian + Texan works out to Australian.

And one more thing: I guess I'm a meanie but I did not like either of these women at all. Jennifer's pouty-ass sad-sack voice drove me NUTS. Suck it up and talk like a grownup! She needs some serious help, way beyond this show.

LOL... that's exactly the type of image I had in mind. It's difficult for most people to sustain for any length of time but for these people it's a resting position.

I remember James K. had legs that stayed that way even when you turned him on his side causing one foot to be pointed almost directly towards the ceiling. I suppose it made the leg a bit easier to sponge down. They'd put a sheet on him and it would look like a tent, with that leg, almost perpendicular as the tentpole. If these strange things don't motivate them to get help...

I'm kind of a meanie, too, because I certainly didn't feel sorry for Jennifer. Again, I didn't see her saccharine sweet demeanor as necessarily kind when you look at what her behavior did to her family. 

stock-photo-plastic-baby-doll-on-isolated-white-background-250897861.jpg

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Yes. That floored me. She seemed in so much better shape than her mom.  Even when she lost weight it seemed like it showed right away. 

I think Marissa must simply have more muscle from all of the activity that she still does, meaning her mother had zero activity level. Muscle is 1/5 the volume of fat. But still... it's odd.

I hope they both make it, but IF Jennifer starts to backslide, what I would say to Marissa is, SAVE YOURSELF! You have a chance at a normal life, a lovely life! Don't start eating that wretched junk food your mom brings into the house because it will KILL YOU. DON'T let your mom guilt trip you because you don't owe her a thing! Put her in a nursing home where they'll care for her and tell her what to do every minute of the day. She'll love it. Nothing your mom is doing is your fault so DO NOT LET HER MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY! MOVE OUT! KEEP WORKING! STAY IN THERAPY! YOU GOT THIS!

Marissa was harsh because she was pushed into a dark and difficult corner. I hope she makes it!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BooBear said:

Well, like Dr. Now said, she has "yoot" on her side. She probably won't need skin surgery, either. 

• Love 5

This is probably the wrong place to post this, but there's a British series called Fat Doctor that I recommend.  It doesn't follow a 'formula' like 600 pound life. Episodes are available on YouTube.

I agree with the poster that suggested this show needs a shake up and a bit more in depth information and interviews with the obese (although many of them seem a bit inarticulate).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I think the scenes with Dr. Now that we see are filmed separately from their actual appointments - at least for the initial ones. 

I agree.  Many times, they are shown entering an empty waiting room, then leaving a still-empty room after dark.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

I agree.  Many times, they are shown entering an empty waiting room, then leaving a still-empty room after dark.

Ah! That makes sense! I wondered why they always seem to have these late-night appointments.  

Anybody else wonder about Marissa's "friend"?  She's also obese.  Do you think she went along so she could lose weight too?  I was assuming she was a girlfriend not just a buddy.

I don't think the producers of the show realize how interesting they could make some spin-offs.  Instead of replaying the episode and calling it "Supersized" and "part 1 and part 2", they could do a "behind the scenes" episode of the same show, giving the facts, unshown scenes and NO voiceovers.  

I'm sure each episode is expensive to make, and clearly, they're trying to monetize them by doing that "supersized" and 2 parts thing, but I doubt most people fall for it.  But anybody who enjoyed the first episode would for sure tune into the "behind the scenes" one and it would be so cheap to make! They'd just be using film they already have.  Splice it together, no voice overs, done deal.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Trees said:

Ah! That makes sense! I wondered why they always seem to have these late-night appointments.  

I would think some of it might just have to do with other patients (and possibly employees; notice it's usually the same nurse at the weigh in) not wanting to be seen on camera, and also just getting the camera crew in there is easier when there aren't other patients around (there's probably at least a producer, a camera operator and a sound person and a bunch of cords and stuff), so they probably schedule them later just for production purposes. The office even allowing other patients to be shown in the waiting room without permission could be a HIPAA violation, I believe. (And if I were a patient I certainly would not want to go to an appointment and find myself on national TV, even if they blurred me.) I have never assumed what we see is even half of the actual doctor/patient interaction.

Earlier this week I read an article on the behind-the-scenes of Trading Spaces, and there's a lot of staging of scenes, so while you see people working on the room, it might actually be the second or third time they've shot it. There are also other people helping with things like sewing and carpentry; there's no way they'd get it all done otherwise. (One of the things that amused me was the description of a scene where the designer was showing the husband how to sew a pillow or something - there was no thread in the machine). I'd assume there are some filming/production shenanigans going on behind the scenes on M600PL, too.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, zoemom said:

IIRC, a couple seasons back in one of those "Where Are They Now" episodes Dr. Now hired one of his patients (can't recall name) who had been successful to be one of the members of the peer group in his office. 

Didn't someone say she has an update scheduled?
Things seemed to be going well for her when she worked with Dr. Now, then she had kids, and her husband seemed to be a jerk, and the last time I saw on a show she looked down-trodden.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Yeah, it was off that the friend fudn’t Also lose weight.  Did she even say anything on camera? Did they introduce her to Dr. Now? 

If she had spoken, they'd probably have had to pay her more.

• Love 2

Finally was able to watch this episode over the weekend. I am glad they are both doing well, though I was aggravated at Jennifer being so “helpless.” 

Maybe it was because there were 2 of them but I was particularly grossed out when they were eating. I don’t think I’ve seen so much food on a fork and they were both shoveling it into their mouths. And using their hands.

And Jennifer was licking food off their fingers. That’s a huge pet peeve for me-sweet Jesus get a napkin. Even as a kid I would use tons of napkins. It must be a thing for me. 

• Love 3
On 4/12/2018 at 6:27 AM, AVM said:
On 4/12/2018 at 6:24 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Don't forget "its hard to get good healthy food on the road, so we're forced to eat entire buckets of chicken and extra cheese pizzas"

Amazing they can find fast-food but not a grocery store  near the hotels,all these people have diets to follow......long before their moves !

El Pollo Loco, Subway, and Chipotle all have perfectly healthful menu items...and they are everywhere.

• Love 2

I was trying to figure out where they stayed when they order the pizza in the hotel. They said they were still pretty far from Houston and it had been 2 days. I live in  Utah and travel through NV, Ut and AZ every month and I my guess was either Southern Utah or NV. I was looking for one billboard because sadly due to medical travel I have them almost all memorized.  I will say there are fewer obvious healthy options along the route she traveled but there is almost always a subway and of course grocery stores, though some close early.  It is surprising to me how much of the desert (AZ/UT/NV) not only are actual deserts but are food deserts , medical deserts despite being in city of 100k people and growing. Lots of chains do not find it profitable to move such rural places when cities are so few and far between. I have never been into a Whole foods or a Panera Bread and just went into a Chipotle last year.  Of course as I travel the highway that was likely taken by Jennifer on this trip I pack plenty of  healthy food that is not found on freeway exits and lots of water, not just to eat healthy and to save money but these are some desolate highways, it is always good to have extras in case of not only car breakdown but road closures. I have been stuck for over 6 hours more then once not just do to weather but due to fatal accidents or police action. I can't imagine Jennifer with her stuck as a teenager mentality would do sitting on the freeway in the middle of nowhere.

I noticed the door of the hotel they filmed the pizza scene had the famous, TLC is filming here notice. I wonder how much of the pizza scene was staged or encouraged. 

I would have also freaked out by the no power and the broken window. I would not have moved in but I also would not sign a lease site on seen. I have moved cross country 5 times and it is no fun but in 2018 it is a lot easier with Airbnb options to stay a few days while looking in person at long term rentals options. I wonder why Jennifer didn't look at any apartments or neighborhoods during her first 2 plane flights to Houston. 

• Love 2
On 4/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, Giant Misfit said:

And don't forget: obese person must constantly repeat how "nervous" and "scared" they are before, during, and after all routine and mundane tasks like walking into a doctor's office or stepping onto a scale.

Step on scale which flashes dramatically, then cut to commercial for "My Big Fat Fabulous Life", Nutri System or Weight Watchers

edited to add, it often appears to me that patients on Dr Now’s scale aren’t getting an accurate weight because they’re leaning against one or both walls

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 2
On 4/17/2018 at 2:55 AM, silverspoons said:

I wonder why Jennifer didn't look at any apartments or neighborhoods during her first 2 plane flights to Houston. 

I don't think Jennifer would know what an Airbnb is or that this would be a "logical" option.  Knowing that they were probably going to be moving there after their first couple of visits with Dr. Now, you'd think they'd sign up on Zillow or some other service.  Yes, that probably what anyone thinking logically would do.  Jennifer is a living/breathing individual with arrested development.

The fact that she had signed a lease sight unseen, (Marissa said they had seen it on the internet) and then when they got there went into the wrong apartment (and even worse had the power turned on), speaks volumes about Jennifer's ability to reason and think clearly.  She reminded me of a two year old when they finally got into the "right" apartment and Jennifer dissolved into tears and blamed everyone else but herself for all of the problems she created.

I wish them both well on their "journey", it will interesting to see how far they go.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, Maricopa said:

El Pollo Loco, Subway, and Chipotle all have perfectly healthful menu items...and they are everywhere.

If my vegetarian sister can find a healthy, fast food meal to eat while traveling, these guys can too.  (She usually orders a Chick fil a salad with no chicken.). It’s not hard; it just requires some planning. Or, order one pizza for all of you and only eat a couple of slices. Again, not hard. 

• Love 1
On 4/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Pounders,

We moved the discussion about abuse and weight to the Small Talk thread.  Big thanks to the posters who redirected comments there.  Way to work within the guidelines!  :-) 

It is a fascinating (and often horrifying) discussion.  We don't want it to get lost in the episode thread. 

Your kitty Mod @PrincessPurrsALot and your breakfast treat Mod @frenchtoast

Thank you!  I don't think I have ever seen a positive comment from a mod.  

I know you have to keep order, but this compliment and your flexibility was refreshing! 

• Love 2

Jennifer has put herself before her own daughter, Marissa, for her entire childhood into adulthood and even though it seems insignificant you’d think she would have put Marissa first for one moment when Dr. Now asked “who wants to go first?” and without hesitation Jennifer said “Me!!” As that’s all that’s on her mind “me, me, and ME!” 

Marissa was like “damn ma, even something so small as letting me go into surgery first (even by an hour) you couldn’t put me first or waited to hear my answer?? When will you EVER put me first?”

Sorry. I know it seems like I’m nit picking but It just stuck out to me considering she never puts her daughter first. This was a perfect opportunity to put her daughter first while still getting what she wants. I’m so over Jennifer.

I’m Wishing Marissa a great future! She’s got a beautiful face and she’s caring. I want her to do well. 

Edited by Calm81
  • Love 6
On 4/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

It always amazes me how limber some of these big people are in their legs. Like when the mom was sitting on the floor of the apartment they were moving into watching everyone else do things, her legs weren't in a split but they were pretty far apart. It seems like sitting that way with her legs sprawled out on either side of her would be miserably uncomfortable considering that she doesn't move or stretch much. I've seen some of them sit with legs even wider spread than that.

enhance (1).jpeg

Just catching up with this rerun.
Good lord! I could NEVER sit on the floor like this! I'm not talking about legs spread out, but sitting ON THE FLOOR! I would need help getting up, and I'm only slightly obese. That's youth for you!

And speaking of which: I was well into this episode before I figured out that Jennifer is Marissa's mom. She must have had her at age 5! 
Ladies, don't color your hair that way. It's like a neon sign flashing "I have no credibility in the adult world.

• Love 1

Dr. Now puts lipservice toward condemning codependency, but in this episode, he told Marissa twice that it was her fault that her mother gained/didn't lose weight. He actually said that Jennifer is ready and willing to do this but that it was Marissa who was holding her back! This was at their 2nd weigh-in, I believe. That was all kinds of wrong and although I am not a violent woman, I wanted to smack Dr. Now for saying that. I guess Marissa strapped her mother down and forcibly injected ice cream into her stomach? /s

Jennifer is awful, mentally ill, forever needy. I loathed her on sight. She reminds me of my own birth mother, who was a borderline. I bet money she will eventually slide back into food addiction and die weighing 800 pounds, and then Marissa can breathe a sigh of relief.

I am starting to think that Dr. Now's success rate is probably 0%. He paraded his poster child Melissa Morris over all and sundry and she is still well above her goal weight. I think he needs to help people reach a healthy relationship with food but putting people on a permanent 1200 cal/day diet is just swinging them from one eating disorder to another. He should try keto with them at the very least. Calorie restriction of that magnitude is impossible to follow for one's lifetime except by a very tiny few; it's no wonder that even his poster child ballooned up again. I certainly couldn't do it. Keto is hard when you have the allergies I do (egg, dairy), but it's do-able nonetheless.

I just happened to watch this rerun, and Jennifer turning on the electricity in the wrong apartment, and blaming the landlord is hysterical.   Especially since they seem to have electric power in the second apartment, and a key also. 

• LOL 1