Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-5 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/9/2022 at 8:34 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Would love to see the series Annika, just don't have the channel Prime.😢 Nicola Walker looks like she's going to be great in the new season of The Split. 

It's going to be on PBS in my market, after Van Der Valk finishes.

Seems to be basically a carbon copy of unforgotten. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I've watched the first 2 episodes of the new season of Unforgotten and have very mixed feelings.  It seems a bit choppier showing the suspects - often we see only flashes of them.  Sunny should have taken the DCI job - it was offered to him.  He's still grieving for Cassie.  I'm not keen on the new DCI - who takes a job and doesn't even take the time to learn the names of the people working for you.  After eagerly watching each season I'm not sure I'll even finish this season.

• Like 3
On 3/14/2023 at 12:02 AM, abbyzenn said:

I've watched the first 2 episodes of the new season of Unforgotten and have very mixed feelings.  It seems a bit choppier showing the suspects - often we see only flashes of them.  Sunny should have taken the DCI job - it was offered to him.  He's still grieving for Cassie.  I'm not keen on the new DCI - who takes a job and doesn't even take the time to learn the names of the people working for you.  After eagerly watching each season I'm not sure I'll even finish this season.

Don't give up. I have watched the full season and they do a really good job developing the background and emotional journey of both the new DCI & Sunny and their relationship.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

After having watched the last three episodes, I have questions and observations (which I'll put under a spoiler tag)

Spoiler

What happened to Sunny's daughters? Last we saw they were living with Sunny; are they with their mum now, at university? I would have liked just a mention of them.

Were Sunny and his fiancée always so distant? He was downright cold to her; I don't blame her for leaving.

I guessed that J was Precious' som but not that he was her second son. I also didn't guess Tony Hume being Bele's father. I thought for sure that he was lying when he said about how Precious and Joseph died but, it turns out, he was telling the truth; still, I don't feel sorry for him being charged with a crime he didn't commit - his actions (both as a citizen and a politician) ruined millions of lives.

The new DCI came across as quite unlikeable at first but thawed in the end. Sunny was acting horribly to her. In fact, I found Sunny to be quite unlikeable this season though I do understand that he's still mourning Cassie. Even though I had guessed that, in the end, their relationship would improve, I was glad when it happened (even though I felt that it might have been a tad too quick).

• Like 2

As they always do, they introduce a dizzying amount of seemingly unrelated characters in the first episode.  This season, there's that AND the angst of losing Cassie.  Sigh.

Sunny is a likable character, and seeing how Cassie's death plays out through him is really effective. 

And among the myriad characters and plot lines that they've introduced so far, I've decided that (complete guess, I have no idea what is going on yet):

a - whatever it is, Hayley Mills did it.

b - the husband is having an affair with the sister who didn't call her back.

• Like 9
  • Wink 3

Not a bad start.  Sunny needs to get his head out of his ass & get over Cassie.  Sal deserves so much better.  It was good to see the rest of the crew.  Jessie has a hard row to hoe, and I definitely would have packed Steve's shit & had it waiting on the porch. 

And I agree, whatever it was, Hayley Mills did it....*LOL*

I really disliked the alcoholic vegan bitch who abuses her partner.   I'm not sure why we need a pair of heroin addicts, but we'll see.  And no clue about the sick old dude at the youth center and the French cab driver.  Looks like lots of stuff to keep track of this season.

It's basically a spin-off, so as long as they give good performances & create good cases, I'm happy, even without Cassie.  If it's a decent Brit crime drama, I'm there.  

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I liked the detail that Sunny did not get passed over for the DCI position, but repeatedly turned it down

I like that Sunny threw it in her face! However, based upon preview, she dishes nastiness back at him, sadly. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

It just occurred to me that the writers have changed the entire premise for this show. It has always been about old cases never actually solved satisfactorily; hence the name, “Unforgotten”. I understand budget cuts, but it’s not like this is the big, present day homicide team. Many of the cases have been 15, 20, even 50 years old. This added to the irritation when she just called case closed. Sit at your desks and twiddle, collect your salary and don’t spend any more money (while I languish over my broken marriage). Just dumb plot device.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Did I miss where the top boss told Jessie that budgetary issues override everything else? I don't recall that being a major plot point in the last/Cassie seasons, but I could be wrong.

I don't really understand Sunny turning down the job, if he believed in the value of solving cold cases. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

Did I miss where the top boss told Jessie that budgetary issues override everything else? I don't recall that being a major plot point in the last/Cassie seasons, but I could be wrong.

I don't really understand Sunny turning down the job, if he believed in the value of solving cold cases. 

I think he still believes in the value of solving cold cases. I saw the look Sunny gave his co-worker when Jessie declared the case closed. I think Sunny is just not in the right frame of mind to fill Cassie’s shoes…yet. Maybe Jessie is the type to have solved case numbers under her belt. We shall see. Unforgotten is a slow reveal kind of show! 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

For those with Passport, the whole season is available

I know. I'm very grateful to have passport because the ending of the show snuck up on me and I wanted to continue.  Also grateful I have today off.

13 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I don't think we saw it but just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it's not possible that things haven't changed.  I'm actually reading a book series about a cold case unit in England and that's a plot point that came up as well.  It's mentioned that higher-ups were reluctant to fund investigations into murder cases older than 20 years. 

And I kind of get that even if the dead people deserve justice, especially if finding DNA is going to be difficult as was mentioned in this episode.  You only have so many resources. Realistically, the odds are pretty low of finding the witnesses you need to solve a crime the older it is.  People die.  Or move away. 

2 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

a - whatever it is, Hayley Mills did it.

Or her evil twin. ;)

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

I love how British television lets women grow old gracefully. If this show was filmed in LA, all the actresses would be botoxed and boob jobbed to the hilt.  

You could just feel Sunny's pain. 

And finally, my child hood crush: Hayley Mills!

• Like 10
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Daff said:

It just occurred to me that the writers have changed the entire premise for this show. It has always been about old cases never actually solved satisfactorily; hence the name, “Unforgotten”.

Not true. It's always been about a body recently discovered that's been dead for a long time.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I Sunny married, or is that woman he talked to on the phone just a girlfriend?  In the  last episode when Cassie died, I got the impression that Cassie was more than I coworker to him.  I remember he said at the cemetery "I loved you."

4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

It might not be a budgetary issue, but people don’t usually get ahead by solving 40 year old cases. You get ahead by working on the priorities of your higher ups, which would usually be reducing current crime statistics.

Actually, I think it’s an awkward attempt to create tension in the show.

Too much domestic angst for me in this first episode, and I think after whatever the period of time since Cassie’s death (since there have already been two temporary DCIs, it must be a few months), Sunny should get over it, or get some counseling.

• Like 3

I just finished binging the whole series.  It does get better after the first episode.  I didn't find the case as absorbing as pervious years, but it was well done.  I was so happy that this came back.

Big spoiler:

Spoiler

Haley didn't do it.  But it was fun to see her again.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I Sunny married, or is that woman he talked to on the phone just a girlfriend?  In the  last episode when Cassie died, I got the impression that Cassie was more than I coworker to him.  I remember he said at the cemetery "I loved you."

She's his live-in girlfriend.  I think at one time Cassie and Sunny talked about dating, but they looked at each other, laughed and said, "Nah."

• Like 6

Hayley Mills is in this?  What character?  I am so happy that she is still alive.  I think it is great that British shows use aging actors. I remember how happy I was to see Tom Courtenay recently in this show.  Season 1.

Edited by susannot
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, susannot said:

Hayley Mills is in this?  What character?

She plays the old sick man's wife.  She wasn't in the first episode much.

4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just finished binging the whole series.  It does get better after the first episode.  

I agree.  And as much as I like Nicola and wish they would have written out her character in a less tragic manner, part of me is relieved to have a new lead.  I think Nicola was just too good at playing a disrespected and depressed cop.  There's still family drama but at least it's different. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I think at one time Cassie and Sunny talked about dating, but they looked at each other, laughed and said, "Nah."

I seem to remember very early on, Cassie sort of misread signals and leaned in for a kiss, but realized quickly that the signals were not there. It didn't cause any long term problems between them. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Doesn't anyone remember Sunny leaving the cemetery at the end of last season when he said "I loved you"?

Sure.  And he did.  She was his best mate, of course he loved her.  But not in a romantic way.  

He asked Sal to marry him in the waiting area of the hospital in the final episode, waiting to find out about Cassie.  She agreed. 

However, we don't know if they got hitched between then & now.  Unless somebody caught Sunny sporting a wedding band, which I didn't think to look for.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

I seem to remember very early on, Cassie sort of misread signals and leaned in for a kiss, but realized quickly that the signals were not there. It didn't cause any long term problems between them. 

Opposite--Sunny leaned in for the kiss.  They let the awkward moment pass with no lasting problems.

1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

Sure.  And he did.  She was his best mate, of course he loved her.  But not in a romantic way.  

He asked Sal to marry him in the waiting area of the hospital in the final episode, waiting to find out about Cassie.  She agreed. 

However, we don't know if they got hitched between then & now.  Unless somebody caught Sunny sporting a wedding band, which I didn't think to look for.  

Sunny's status is answered in this first new episode.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

How? I couldn't tell if they'd married or not. TIA!

Spoiler

Removed because info is from another episode

Wait until the second episode.  Your question will be answered.

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

How? I couldn't tell if they'd married or not.

Since these episodes aired already in the UK, I'm not going to spoiler tag the response, especially since it's just bio information unrelated to the case.

But if you'd rather not know-skip the next paragraph. 

They're still engaged and it's about 9 months after the death.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm really hoping that the folks who posted above are right and that the show gets better as it goes forward.  Do NOT like the new "Ma'am" and if Sunny is this agonized and angry over Cassie's death at this point in time,  he needs some serious therapy.

There are so many possible suspects (or people who had a connection to the victim).  Am I mistaken in thinking that the bit of hair that was on the body looks like a black person's hair?   If so, I'm thinking that the victim has some sort of family relationship with the nasty restaurant woman.   The two heroin addicts would have been children around the time of the victim's death - I wonder if one (or both) witnessed something terrible (and thus the drug addiction).    The old guy who has cancer might be the victim's father or maybe a much older lover.   The French guy - no clue how he is part of this.   

And Hayley Mills is in this?  I wonder if anybody under 60 knows who she is -  And even though we saw her for like 10 seconds, I'll say she is the murderer - LOL. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I hope so but right now she's an insufferable bitch.  I don't blame her husband for cheating on her.

Maybe she's an insufferable bitch because her husband is an asshole cheater.  

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Since these episodes aired already in the UK, I'm not going to spoiler tag the response, especially since it's just bio information unrelated to the case.

But if you'd rather not know-skip the next paragraph. 

They're still engaged and it's about 9 months after the death.

Thank you.  I went back on my phone (In the Ladies' room at work) & saw that Sunny was not wearing a wedding band and neither was Sal.  I figured that was pretty telling. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:
  Reveal spoiler

Removed because info is from another episode

Wait until the second episode.  Your question will be answered.

So his status wasn't revealed in this first episode? Alrighty then.

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I hope so but right now she's an insufferable bitch.  I don't blame her husband for cheating on her.

Thinking about this, maybe she wasn't such a bitch before the morning when he wanted to leave.   And she must have thought her marriage was rock solid (or something) as he comes up on her phone as something like "My Gorgeous Hubby" (I don't remember it exactly), which I thought as odd, unless people really do put stuff like that instead of their spouse's name.   My other half gets a big ICE next to his name (and he's lucky it's not PITA instead).  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3