Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-5 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/17/2021 at 3:43 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

It seems as if she has been in two series and they were crime or mystery series.

Sorry, the additional details aren't setting off any bells.

I finished watching the whole season and while I still enjoyed it, I'm not sold on the ending. I'll be interested to read opinions here since some TV reviewers I usually agree with loved it.

• Love 2

Sorry, the additional details aren't setting off any bells.

I'm not getting anywhere either. There was this one show but damned if I can remember the name of it, where a group of "paranormal" investigators working for a place kind of like the Smithsonian would go out hunting for cursed historical objects. I don't know though.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm not getting anywhere either. There was this one show but damned if I can remember the name of it, where a group of "paranormal" investigators working for a place kind of like the Smithsonian would go out hunting for cursed historical objects. I don't know though.

"Fringe"???  Never watched it, but trying to figure out the show from your snippets of memory.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

"Fringe"???  Never watched it, but trying to figure out the show from your snippets of memory.  

It was kind of like that but there was this mysterioso guy kind of like a Jack Earle Haley type who never left the museum and had operatives reporting to him.

• Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

It was kind of like that but there was this mysterioso guy kind of like a Jack Earle Haley type who never left the museum and had operatives reporting to him.

Okay . . . I've never heard of Jack Earle Haley, so somebody is gonna have to come up with some money if I'm gonna continue researching this.  LOL.

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Okay . . . I've never heard of Jack Earle Haley, so somebody is gonna have to come up with some money if I'm gonna continue researching this.  LOL.

image.png.7c05ba7999ddc5a1b9617462329bb3d8.png

He was in the Original Bad News Bears. The kid that rode a minibike.

• Useful 1

Season 4 episode 2:  Glad they are sorting out how some of the many characters fit into the case.  Some of them look enough alike to confuse my weak vision, so I wish they would call each other by name more often.

A pet peeve: showing a phone or a note and expecting viewers can read it.  At least put the text in the closed captions.

A 21-year-old whose busy stressed-out mother does his laundry?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Warehouse 13!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

This very peeve forced us to get a bigger tv about 3 months ago!

We spend a lot of time pausing the screen so we can read the text/note.

38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's IT!!!

So who's the person with the eye motion similar to Cassie?????

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have no idea. 🤣

Well, if it is from Warehouse 13, it is Joanne Kelly, though she is not blonde. By the way, the person who stayed in the Warehouse is Saul Rubinek.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

Well, if it is from Warehouse 13, it is Joanne Kelly, though she is not blonde. By the way, the person who stayed in the Warehouse is Saul Rubinek.

Right, He's one of those character actors that I always mix up with other actors. I noticed there was no blond too. I wish our friend had more to go on, this has been kind of fun.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

There was this one show but damned if I can remember the name of it, where a group of "paranormal" investigators working for a place kind of like the Smithsonian would go out hunting for cursed historical objects. I don't know though.

Are you thinking of Warehouse 13? Go look it up on IMDB.com and see if any of the actors look familiar.

• Love 1

I'm annoyed that Cassie can't manage to wear something a little more professional than a plaid flannel shirt  I know she's a DCI and does some grubby field work, but she used to look at lot better, at least wearing a decent shirt and doing something with her hair.  Her "I don't give a crap" attitude is really showing.....

Interesting that she asked John if he thought she was really angry all the time and it took him a while to answer.  I hope that told her something.  She did seem pleased at the end, when the team said they were glad to have her back.  I was waiting for her to say "But not for long!"

• Love 8

I can understand the BS Cassie's having to deal with(among all the other crap)  on what's going to happen with her Dad's  assets and who gets what after he passes. I definitely don't think her Dad's  girlfriend deserves anything. Is Cassie somehow related to Ron Weasley?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I definitely don't think her Dad's  girlfriend deserves anything.

We'll have to disagree on that part of it. Dad is going to get a whole lot worse before he leaves the planet, and she's knowingly signing on for that, and (it would appear) not for venal motives. I don't know if she deserves everything, but I don't think it's wrong for him to want to help provide for her.

And speaking of that character (and also "Cast in Other Roles"), I'll be gobsmacked if Dad's girlfriend isn't "Jane Plough" (Doon Mackichan) from Toast of London. It took a minute for me to place her, but her voice was the giveaway, despite the stripping away of layers of Jane Plough makeup. And yet the imdb doesn't list her in the cast for Unforgotten, nor does the wikipedia page for the show. Could I be wrong? 

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

We'll have to disagree on that part of it. Dad is going to get a whole lot worse before he leaves the planet, and she's knowingly signing on for that, and (it would appear) not for venal motives. I don't know if she deserves everything, but I don't think it's wrong for him to want to help provide for her.

And speaking of that character (and also "Cast in Other Roles"), I'll be gobsmacked if Dad's girlfriend isn't "Jane Plough" (Doon Mackichan) from Toast of London. It took a minute for me to place her, but her voice was the giveaway, despite the stripping away of layers of Jane Plough makeup. And yet the imdb doesn't list her in the cast for Unforgotten, nor does the wikipedia page for the show. Could I be wrong? 

I think Martin's girlfriend (Jenny) is played by Janet Dibley.

And - as someone close to Martin in age - I agree that his estate is his estate to do with as he wishes.  If Adam wants a chunk of it, he should at least get out of bed, do his own laundry, and go find a job.  Jenny will be doing Martin's laundry and a whole lot more in the time he has left.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Yes, but.....

We have no idea of Jenny's backstory and if she will be around when Dad starts really needing help.  It's always easy for people to say "Oh, I'll be there", but look in hospital waiting rooms and care facilities and the reality is sometimes WAY different.

She says she knows what she's signing up, for until that time arrives.  And what exactly does she do, do we know?  Is she working or retired with a pension?  Or is dad supporting her? She a bit younger than him, as was pointed out last season when they were talking about her moving in with him. 

We need to know a lot more. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Try IMDb for The Librarian-TV series. Two blondes were in that, and the “guy” who never left was John Laroquette. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Yes, but.....

We have no idea of Jenny's backstory and if she will be around when Dad starts really needing help.  It's always easy for people to say "Oh, I'll be there", but look in hospital waiting rooms and care facilities and the reality is sometimes WAY different.

She says she knows what she's signing up, for until that time arrives.  And what exactly does she do, do we know?  Is she working or retired with a pension?  Or is dad supporting her? She a bit younger than him, as was pointed out last season when they were talking about her moving in with him. 

We need to know a lot more. 

I took care of my dad, who has Alzheimer's for two years. He is in care now. It gets beyond stuff that a layman can do. He will need professional help.

• Love 6
On 7/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, dalek said:

Binge watched season 4 on PBS Passport.  I thought the pacing was a bit different from previous seasons.  It seemed like they threw a lot more stuff about the backgrounds of the characters into the last 2 episodes, so it went from a steady drip to a torrent.  Not at all happy with the ending.  Not sure if I'm going to watch season 5 as a result.

We binged also.  So sad.  We were really heartbroken.  But nonetheless a great season, as far as the actual mystery went, and the actors.  True, in season 3, they wrapped up the mystery more before the final episode.  Here, they were still going.  I can't see why they killed off the character, though.  I guess the actress is moving on to other projects? 

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I took care of my dad, who has Alzheimer's for two years. He is in care now. It gets beyond stuff that a layman can do. He will need professional help.

Exactly.  And the money to pay for that will come from where?  Jenny won't get any money until he dies, so unless he has a big retirement pile, Cassie will probably be paying for it unless Jenny also has a pile of money she's willing to spend. 

Are they married?  If so, he could have a lawyer dissolve the trust for the boys, give Jenny rights of survivorship, and allow her to control his money in general.  I don't know if UK law is substantially different from US law in these matters. 

So many questions that will need to be answered to know what's right or wrong.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

Exactly.  And the money to pay for that will come from where?  Jenny won't get any money until he dies, so unless he has a big retirement pile, Cassie will probably be paying for it unless Jenny also has a pile of money she's willing to spend. 

It's $9,000.00 a month for my dad.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

It's $9,000.00 a month for my dad.

I am SO sorry you have to go through all of it.  But it's your dad.  You can't do anything but the best for him.   I'm sure Cassie is going to have some hard choices to make.  

• Love 3

I'm not sure about the financial part of it, but Britain does have a health care system that should provide physical care at little/no cost.  

Maybe I'm wrong and Jenny is a money-grabbing bitch.  My brain goes to the idea that Martin's estate is his to do with as he pleases.  Unless he is obviously in need of a conservatorship, Cassie can be unhappy with Martin's decisions, but that's her only choice. 

It sounds like Cassie's half-interest in the house is still secure.  I would assume that her sons will inherit that.  Gee, maybe Adam could get out of bed, do his laundry, get a job, and buy out Martin's half now instead of hoping he and his brother will inherit the whole house when Martin and Cassie are both gone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Are they married?  If so, he could have a lawyer dissolve the trust for the boys, give Jenny rights of survivorship, and allow her to control his money in general.  I don't know if UK law is substantially different from US law in these matters. 

So many questions that will need to be answered to know what's right or wrong.  

As I understood it, they were going to put the house in a trust with the father's share going to the sons, but that had never actually been done.  If it had been, she wouldn't have had to be nagging her father to do something. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, AZChristian said:

I'm not sure about the financial part of it, but Britain does have a health care system that should provide physical care at little/no cost.  

Maybe I'm wrong and Jenny is a money-grabbing bitch.  My brain goes to the idea that Martin's estate is his to do with as he pleases.  Unless he is obviously in need of a conservatorship, Cassie can be unhappy with Martin's decisions, but that's her only choice. 

It sounds like Cassie's half-interest in the house is still secure.  I would assume that her sons will inherit that.  Gee, maybe Adam could get out of bed, do his laundry, get a job, and buy out Martin's half now instead of hoping he and his brother will inherit the whole house when Martin and Cassie are both gone.

We have Medicaid to pay for nursing homes here in the US, and in some cases home care, but you have to qualify financially (I'm actually an attorney who does this for my practice).  People who live here are often surprised that Medicare does not pay for long-term care.  Apparently, the UK has a similar system.  There is some means testing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, GussieK said:

We have Medicaid to pay for nursing homes here in the US, and in some cases home care, but you have to qualify financially (I'm actually an attorney who does this for my practice). 

You would know the answer to this! My recollection of our experience with my wife's aunt (whose care we took responsibility for) was that there were "medicaid nursing homes" and nursing homes that didn't take medicaid. And of course, the nicer, better places were in the latter category. But I stand ready to learn I'm wrong.

[Written in full awareness that we're going off on a tangent, and hoping that's OK.]

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

You would know the answer to this! My recollection of our experience with my wife's aunt (whose care we took responsibility for) was that there were "medicaid nursing homes" and nursing homes that didn't take medicaid. And of course, the nicer, better places were in the latter category. But I stand ready to learn I'm wrong.

[Written in full awareness that we're going off on a tangent, and hoping that's OK.]

Quick OT answer here.  In some states, there is a difference, as some nursing homes can refuse Medicaid.  But in NYS, where I live and practice, there is really no difference.  The nursing homes here depend on Medicaid for most of their patients.  None of the nursing homes are really wonderful, of course.  Too few staffers everywhere. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, GussieK said:

As I understood it, they were going to put the house in a trust with the father's share going to the sons, but that had never actually been done.  If it had been, she wouldn't have had to be nagging her father to do something. 

I just re-watched it.

They are already actively planning to put the house on the market.  It sounds like Martin moved in with Jenny, and it appears to be a little more upscale than the house where Cassie lives.  The inference is that Jenny is fairly comfortable without Martin's money.  

Martin already has a will, and it states that his equity will stay in the house until it is sold (which it is hopefully about to be).  Then (upon his death) his half would go into a trust fund for the sons, to be paid out in increments when they reach 35.  "Don't want them to get a lump sum too young."

Martin verbalizes that the boys are spoiled and need to earn their own livelihoods.  Cassie comments that she'd like to know what caused him to change his mind.

Cut to scene with Jenny and Cassie talking in the kitchen.  Jenny is politely indignant that Cassie is insinuating that she pushed Martin to change his will.  She said she and Martin hadn't discussed it.  The scene doesn't seem to lean either way - whether she's a gold-digger, or that Martin truly did make this decision on his own.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Ooof!  So right, I forgot they hadn't done the trust YET, because she had to keep saying to him "remember when we talked about that"?

Jenny can say she & Marin haven't discussed a lot of things, but would he remember?  She could get SO shady with his estate.  Not that she will, but the potential is there.

So obviously Martin & Jenny aren't married.  That's a complicated situation all around.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I am SO sorry you have to go through all of it.  But it's your dad.  You can't do anything but the best for him.   I'm sure Cassie is going to have some hard choices to make.  

I want him to have the very best.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GussieK said:

I can't see why they killed off the character, though.  I guess the actress is moving on to other projects? 

This was my big issue.  Yes, the writers had kind of written themselves into a corner with the character and probably the actress wanted to do other things as well, but couldn't they have sent her off with a happy ending?  Rather than the gravesite visit, I would have preferred something along the lines of her and her family all attending Sunny Khan's wedding.  Her dying in a stupid accident while thinking her entire family was mad at her is just really depressing and unnecessary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Reminder: this show has previously aired in the UK and is now released in the US on a subscription platform. There are no tags required and if any are utilizing the freer method of watching weekly on PBS and do not wish to be spoiled, they might wait to venture into the topic until after it’s concluded.

• Useful 4
8 hours ago, leighdear said:

Ooof!  So right, I forgot they hadn't done the trust YET, because she had to keep saying to him "remember when we talked about that"?

Jenny can say she & Marin haven't discussed a lot of things, but would he remember?  She could get SO shady with his estate.  Not that she will, but the potential is there.

So obviously Martin & Jenny aren't married.  That's a complicated situation all around.  

I got the impression that Martin and Jenny aren't married,(yet) and that would make a deciding factor on the outcome of the will.

• Love 3

I understood Cassie’s reaction to her dad’s decision to change his mind and include Jenny in the property trust or Will.  One of the big issues is that with cognitive decline there is a period of when it’s unclear if the thinking is clear.  It’s a red flag when a senior with dementia starts making those kinds of changes. Giving property to non-family members, that they recently met……please.   But, it seems Martin has not progressed enough to be deemed incompetent.  If Jenny’s going to care for him, I’d seek a caregiver contract designating services and compensation, but….I’m not familiar with the laws and policies in the UK……just my state in the US regarding Medicaid. My state also has Special assistance to those who need assisted living.

I feel for Cassie.  She’s wondering why Martin has changed his mind and not discussed it with her.  She should read up on his condition and adjust her expectations. It gets much worse. I cared for my cousin after she got dementia.  She was in Memory Care for 6 years before her death.  Dementia is so cruel.  

I still can’t figure out the actress who has Cassie’s eye movement trait.  Thanks for the suggestions.  It’s not The Librarian.  I will figure it out. Ideas appreciated.  

• Love 6

I understood Cassie’s reaction to her dad’s decision to change his mind and include Jenny in the property trust or Will.  One of the big issues is that with cognitive decline there is a period of when it’s unclear if the thinking is clear.  It’s a red flag when a senior with dementia starts making those kinds of changes. Giving property to non-family members, that they recently met……please.   But, it seems Martin has not progressed enough to be deemed incompetent.  

That's exactly why I got my dad's Power of Attorney before I had him diagnosed. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's exactly why I got my dad's Power of Attorney before I had him diagnosed. 

That’s good, but sometimes they revoke it or refuse to let you handle matters, cause they think they aren’t impaired yet.  😕 Resistance to care is a big problem.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s good, but sometimes they revoke it or refuse to let you handle matters, cause they think they aren’t impaired yet.  😕 Resistance to care is a big problem.  

It might have been but his neighbors, the people at his club, his friends and his banker especially all saw it and they all begged me to do something. I met with an attorney in the bankers offices and he signed it over to me there. There was no question of it  not being voluntary. He would have done anything I said at that point except move into care. Now in Cassie's case she has to contend with the girlfriend. She won't have a free hand the way I did.

• Love 2
On 7/20/2021 at 4:30 PM, dalek said:

Yes, the writers had kind of written themselves into a corner with the character and probably the actress wanted to do other things as well, but couldn't they have sent her off with a happy ending?  Rather than the gravesite visit, I would have preferred something along the lines of her and her family all attending Sunny Khan's wedding.  Her dying in a stupid accident while thinking her entire family was mad at her is just really depressing and unnecessary

I like tragedy. I'm kind of like the ancient Greeks and Shakespeare that way.

Snark aside, I think someone upthread said there's going to be a Series 5? If so, I guess Sunny is going to star? I love Nicola Walker, but I'll enjoy Sanjeev Bhaskar getting a shot at the lead role if that's how it plays out.

• Love 7

I saw season 4 advertised on PBS and thought it looked interesting, so I sought out the first 3 seasons, and WOW, I was not disappointed! I truly love this series and think it is so well written and acted. We contribute monthly to PBS so I just finished binging season 4 this morning. 

I didn't love the ending of season 4 and would have preferred something a bit more uplifting, but I'm still invested in season 5 and staying with Sunny and the others as they solve cold cases. 

My only wariness for the new season comes from feeling that in the first season the show bucked the trend of having a detective with loads of problems. Cassie had a nice relationship with her dad, a son who she seemed close with and adored, and not a load of dark skeletons in her past. Obviously they start at the high point and break her down over the subsequent seasons, but I would have liked to see season 4 end with her closer to where she started, maybe moving away with John as planned. But then of course they'd always have viewers asking "where's Cassie? How's Cassie? Is she ever coming back?" in future seasons so this seemed the easiest way to make a clean break. 

In regards to the mystery...did they ever say or even offer an opinion on why Fogerty would have kept the body for all that time? He didn't seem to be blackmailing any of them. Also maybe I missed it, but I missed an explanation for the beheading. Was that part of a plan they came up with together or did Fogerty decide to do that on his own? Maybe I need to watch it again because I feel like once the accident happened, I had a harder time focusing on the resolution to the murder investigation. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

In regards to the mystery...did they ever say or even offer an opinion on why Fogerty would have kept the body for all that time? He didn't seem to be blackmailing any of them. Also maybe I missed it, but I missed an explanation for the beheading. Was that part of a plan they came up with together or did Fogerty decide to do that on his own?

This was one of my issues with the season. I had a hard time getting past the fact that apparently no one in the group made an effort to better dispose of the body in all the years after the murder.

• Love 6
On 7/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, Jenniferbug said:

My only wariness for the new season comes from feeling that in the first season the show bucked the trend of having a detective with loads of problems. Cassie had a nice relationship with her dad, a son who she seemed close with and adored, and not a load of dark skeletons in her past. Obviously they start at the high point and break her down over the subsequent seasons, but I would have liked to see season 4 end with her closer to where she started, maybe moving away with John as planned. But then of course they'd always have viewers asking "where's Cassie? How's Cassie? Is she ever coming back?" in future seasons so this seemed the easiest way to make a clean break. 

In regards to the mystery...did they ever say or even offer an opinion on why Fogerty would have kept the body for all that time? He didn't seem to be blackmailing any of them. Also maybe I missed it, but I missed an explanation for the beheading. Was that part of a plan they came up with together or did Fogerty decide to do that on his own? Maybe I need to watch it again because I feel like once the accident happened, I had a harder time focusing on the resolution to the murder investigation. 

Regarding Cassie - I, too, am disappointed at what they've done with her character this season. 

I went through an eerily similar situation, having a work-related bout of major depression that kept me home for 8 months when I was 54.  I was medically cleared 3 months before my 55th birthday (eligibility date for retirement).  Knowing that it would not be a good idea for me to go back into the same work environment that triggered my illness, the company (like Cassie's police department) offered me a position in a totally different department.  I was not told the position was only for 3 months; the time I would stay would be up to me, as long as my work was acceptable.  I found that it was difficult to return to full-time work while being still in a recovery stage.  I chose - on my own - to retire on my 55th birthday.  I gave myself the time I needed to heal, and then actually went back to work for the same company, first as a contractor, and then for another two years on the payroll.  Walked out (retired) the second time with my head held high!  

I wanted something like that for Cassie.  But it's not just the work situation that has made her somewhat unlikeable this season.  The whole situation with Martin's will . . . she may well be concerned that he is being taken advantage of, but her focus seems to be on the fact that her sons are not having a large trust fund given to them.  She doesn't seem to acknowledge that - as Martin said - Jenny is going to have to care for him, and she may be earning some financial stability by Martin's decision to leave his estate to her.

It would be different (IMO) if Cassie's kids were getting jobs and building their own financial stability, but that does not seem to be the case.

Regarding the body.  I've not seen all the episodes, but have read what's going to happen.  It's supposedly clear who killed Matthew and why, but I'm not seeing anyone with a definitive answer as to why Fogerty kept the body all those years.  Maybe he was planning to use it as a bargaining chip if he needed something from the other four?

Criminals can be stupid - even police criminals.  Maybe it's as simple as that.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

If I was Cassie’s supervisor, I’m not sure I’d let her back to her old job knowing she’d be upset at having to work another 3 months.  Put her on a special project.   Yes, very odd that the 2 police officers did not ensure the body was well disposed especially the vice guy.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, Broderbits said:

Are you thinking of Warehouse 13? Go look it up on IMDB.com and see if any of the actors look familiar.

There was another fun sci-fi show with a similar premise:  The Chronicle.  It was about reporters for a tabloid newspaper who reported on aliens, and the aliens were real. 

• Useful 1
On 7/20/2021 at 2:30 PM, dalek said:

This was my big issue.  Yes, the writers had kind of written themselves into a corner with the character and probably the actress wanted to do other things as well, but couldn't they have sent her off with a happy ending?  Rather than the gravesite visit, I would have preferred something along the lines of her and her family all attending Sunny Khan's wedding.  Her dying in a stupid accident while thinking her entire family was mad at her is just really depressing and unnecessary.

I have found that the Brits don't seem to have the issue with killing off popular characters. It can be shocking but they don't tend to shy away from it!

• Love 2