Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: The Puzzle Master

• Start Topic

Jake surprises Amy with an investigation into a string of arsons connected to her favorite crossword puzzle author, Vin Stermley. Meanwhile, Gina helps Holt jazz up his Commissioner candidate speech, and Terry, Rosa, Hitchcock and Scully argue over who is most deserving of the new detective car.

(edited)

Craig Robinson, Sterling K. Brown, David Fumero three weeks in a row?

I presume a hiatus is upcoming while the entire production team enjoys their spontaneous pregnancies. 

It's cool though I'll enjoy watching Captain Molly reform the NYPD on her own spin-off

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 4
(edited)

When Amy was fan girling over Melvin, I thought, "Oh, he's her Will Shortz!" Only to see that Will Shortz was actually in the episode. Yes, I am a big crossword puzzle nerd. 

Edited by bourbon
  • Love 11
(edited)

Once again a Jake-Amy plot that focuses fully on Jake's pov. Of-fucking course. This is pathetic at this point. 

I'm confused...Amy took her exam last season. She just got her results? Did she take it again? Why haven't we heard about this until now? What happens to Terry now? Co-sergeants? How will the squad view Amy in an authoritative role? All these questions that won't get answered. 

Edit: Dan Goor clarifies that getting the results does take a long while to get back. So that's one answered. 

Edited by wingster55
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

Craig Robinson, Sterling K. Brown, David Fulmer three weeks in a row?

Per IMDB, Vin the Puzzle Master was played by David Fumero, the real-life husband of Melissa Fumero.

• Love 7

Jake's "But...where is nerd?"

Charles getting jealous that Jake might be friends with Vin was the perfect capper to the episode.

2 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Once again a Jake-Amy plot that focuses fully on Jake's pov. Of-fucking course. This is pathetic at this point. 

Because Amy being jealous over Jake working with another woman would have gone over real well here.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Edit: Dan Goor clarifies that getting the results does take a long while to get back. So that's one answered. 

Civil service tests are the worst. It took around 4 months for my husband to get his fire captain results. It was the longest wait ever!  What’s worse is the tests results are probably read within minutes since it’s done electronically...  no reason for that. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Because Amy being jealous over Jake working with another woman would have gone over real well here.

No, perhaps not. But after five seasons of this, it's pretty annoying. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, bourbon said:

When Amy was fan girling over Melvin, I thought, "Oh, he's her Will Shortz!" Only to see that Will Shortz was actually in the episode. Yes, I am a big crossword puzzle nerd. 

I recognized Will Shortz right away. I've listened to him many times on NPR. He was in a documentary, too, I believe.

12 hours ago, Roaster said:

Per IMDB, Vin the Puzzle Master was played by David Fumero, the real-life husband of Melissa Fumero.

I googled him right after reading Traveller519's post. I didn't even note his last name, so it surprised me to read that he was Melissa's husband.

I really thought Jake's instinct that Jasper (was that his name?) was the arsonist. When we see that he was not, I knew the building Jake was supposed to be watching would be ablaze when he got back.

When they were in line for the puzzle seminar/match/conference/whatever and talked to that fan, I immediately thought that she would end up being the arsonist, but then I forgot about her.

And Allison Tolman!!! Love her. I expect we'll be seeing her again. Olivia is a good foil for Holt.

"But… Where is nerd?"

"Shall we ... small talk?"

"Let me begin with a hilarious joke."

"And let's be honest. Crab cakes were only so-so."

Raymond Holt is the best.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, wingster55 said:

I'm confused...Amy took her exam last season. She just got her results? Did she take it again? Why haven't we heard about this until now? What happens to Terry now? Co-sergeants? How will the squad view Amy in an authoritative role? All these questions that won't get answered. 

I'm wondering if they are setting this up for Holt to become commissioner, Terry to become Captain, and Amy to be the Sergeant.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Unlike most man-child characters, he knows jealousy is an evil emotion, he owns his insecurity, and he doesn't take it out on Amy and only a very tiny bit on Vin.

Unlike some characters *coughs*Ross Gellar*coughs*.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I googled him right after reading Traveller519's post. I didn't even note his last name, so it surprised me to read that he was Melissa's husband.

I knew both of them from when they were both on One Life To Live but their characters were never paired up.

• Love 7

I normally hate jealousy in a relationship episodes, because the jealous person usually ends up acting like a total asshole and its really unpleasant to watch, but this was actually really well done, and was really more about Jake being worried that isnt smart enough for Amy than him seriously thinking Vin was a threat. He didnt take his jealousy out on Amy, and only a tiny bit on Vin, and was honest at the end about how he was feeling. Then Amy saying that he was just as smart as her was just so sweet and perfect. They just work together so well, every time it looks like we `ll get stuck in some stupid misunderstanding drama plot, they go a totally different way. 

Also, the return of Amy's nerd dance! "Yeah, thats the woman I`m gonna marry!" 

Allison Tolman! They have just been killing it with the guest stars lately! It would be fun to see Holt have a rivalry with someone he doesn't really hate, like Munch, and is more of a...frienemy. Not above that work usage. "And, lets be honest, the crab cakes were only so-so". 

• Love 18

I'm wondering if they are setting this up for Holt to become commissioner, Terry to become Captain, and Amy to be the Sergeant.

Maybe, if they're planning to end the show. But I can't imagine Holt would still be stationed at the 99 if he's promoted to commissioner. Which would take him out of the regular mix, unless they are constantly contriving ways to bring him back to the station, or splitting the stories between his offices and the 99. I don't see how that would work. 

I'm seeing alarming predictions of cancellation though, so it's possible they're working towards a potential series finale here.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I  really thought Jake's instinct that Jasper (was that his name?) was the arsonist.

Jake thought the MA clues were backwards; that instead of MA___, it was AM.

Great episode.  I am looking forward to more Alison Tolman.  Her rivalry with Holt will be fun to watch.  Not a fan of puzzles (its just not me) but I did like the case.  I should have known that the woman behind Jake and Amy in line who wanted to marry Vin was the arsonist.  Kudos to anybody who solved the case.  I did like the B story about the nice car and that Gina appreciated Sarge's efforts.  And I liked the dinosaur references in the race to become the commissioner. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

Joe T. posted one during which she drops her gun.  They were having a blast teasing her.  Then she posted one with Samberg commenting in the background that she looked like a kid in a Diane Arbus painting.  She said he said that several times because he wanted the line to make it in but they wouldn't do it because Jake would not know who that is. lol

• Love 6
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe, if they're planning to end the show. But I can't imagine Holt would still be stationed at the 99 if he's promoted to commissioner. Which would take him out of the regular mix, unless they are constantly contriving ways to bring him back to the station, or splitting the stories between his offices and the 99. I don't see how that would work. 

I'm seeing alarming predictions of cancellation though, so it's possible they're working towards a potential series finale here.

I assume they're planning for both a series finale and a season finale, in case it goes either way. This show does have a habit of making a big game changing shake up in the last episode and resolving in the first handful of episodes next season (Jake going into the mob, Jake going into witness protection, Jake being convicted). 

I do hope they leave Holt at the 99. 

• Love 2

Amy/Melissa Fumero dancing is the greatest thing ever!

I spent the entire time feeling like I was suppose to know who was playing Vin and was wondering what the deal was, and then I saw David Fumero's name in the credits and was like "Ah, so he's Melissa's husband!"  Fun appearance.  Not wild about jealously plot lines, but I like that it was more about Jake feeling like he wasn't as smart as Amy, and not just about looks.  But I liked how Amy handled it and I do think that she is right that underneath the juvenile humor and goofiness, Jake is actually intelligent in his own way.  He might not be a puzzle master like Amy, but he does have street and other smarts to him, and I fully believe he and Amy will be a great married couple.

Was not expecting Allison Tolman to show up as a rival for the Commissioner position!  Great bit of casting, and I'm looking forward to more of her and Holt respectfully snarking on one another.

The C-plot was fun, but I'm glad Terry still got the car, because it does feel like he's under-appreciated at times, and he's honestly probably one of the reasons the team works as well as they though.

• Love 5

So Jake saying "harder" when Amy was twisting his arm, along with him getting turned on when she said "I hope you die" a few episodes ago, just makes me think that the title of their sex tape must include the word 'punishment' somewhere.

I liked that Jake wasn't remotely insecure about Amy's promotion, and the fact that she would be his superior. Seems like a lot of shows, both comedy and serious, would focus on that as a source of drama. Instead, he was insecure about Amy being too smart for him, which was a nice beat, and even nicer when Amy reassured him that she does see him as smart. And he is, he's a great example of naturally intelligent but poorly educated (through choice, given things he's said in the past). Amy recognises that.

So that's Melissa Fumero's real life husband? For all the dialogue about how handsome he's supposed to be, I think he's punching admirably above his weight.

The great thing about this show is, I never once thought that they'd have Amy flirt with the guy, or make Jake feel invisible or inconsequential. Nor did I ever think Jake would be an asshole to Amy because of his own insecurities. Too many shows have done both of those things. Often at the same time, often multiple times over the course of their run, and it's almost never entertaining. So once again, Nine-Nine passes with flying colours.

I did laugh at the gag about all the commissioner candidates up against Holt were the same middle aged white guy with a pretty blond wife. Hard not to see that as a commentary on... every facet of public and professional life. And then the extra commentary of Holt being challenged by someone even younger and more forward thinking.

The detective car plot was hampered by the fact that neither Hitchcock or Scully seem to need a car, because they never do any work. And also by the fact that Terry was the one who put the request in for the car, of course it should be his. Good on Rosa for finally figuring it out.

What makes me sad is the sense that they're slowly putting pieces in place for a series finale. Amy promoted to sergeant, and Holt to commissioner, which would leave Terry perfectly placed to get the captain's job, as well as Charles starting his food truck. I don't want this show to end.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think it was, friendenemy.

Olivia said "frenemy"; Holt said "friend-enemy".  He may know portmanteau words; he just chooses not to use them, much like and for the same reason, as contractions.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Joe T. posted one during which she drops her gun.  They were having a blast teasing her.  Then she posted one with Samberg commenting in the background that she looked like a kid in a Diane Arbus painting.  She said he said that several times because he wanted the line to make it in but they wouldn't do it because Jake would not know who that is. lol

I can hardly believe Andy Samberg knows who that is (I had to Google it).

Another great episode -- I loved Holt being so honest and decent (and potentially torpedoing his own career again, some more -- whoever the guy on the selection committee was, he has to be powerful).  Also, Gina's relationship with Holt is really a high point for her -- their interactions demonstrate her crazy but also her competence, drive, and loyalty.

I love that Jake understands that jealousy is an ugly emotion.  Also, he may not be good with words but he clearly is a puzzle master -- he figured out the "Marry Me" clues very fast.  This show delights me.  If Fox cancels it I may have to burn them to the ground.

• Love 14

I love this show. Who would have ever imagined that Jake Peralta would even skate close to being a role model or capable of a mature adult relationship with ambitious, wonderful, and nerdy dork Amy Santiago, after seeing his personality in the pilot?

And Holt putting solidarity over ambition, even when he's been burned by competitors within the department before?

It's not often I watch a sitcom in FOX for inspiration or optimism.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

So Jake saying "harder" when Amy was twisting his arm, along with him getting turned on when she said "I hope you die" a few episodes ago, just makes me think that the title of their sex tape must include the word 'punishment' somewhere.

I could see that. But imagine what Rosa and Pimento must have been like!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

So that's Melissa Fumero's real life husband? For all the dialogue about how handsome he's supposed to be, I think he's punching admirably above his weight.

He still looks pretty good to me, but I'd concede that his soap-hunkiest days are more and more behind him. He's been around seemingly forever (started on One Life to Live 20 years ago, is 46). I'm sure the soap fan sites are full of younger photos of him, were one to be so inclined.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 4
On 4/9/2018 at 1:17 PM, vertiegogh said:

I loved when Holt was defending beans by saying they were "unsullied by flavor." HA!

They give him the best lines about food!  I'm still a little obsessed with the nutrition bricks.

And we learned that Hitchcock's first name is Norm!

Edited by meep.meep
just remembered....
  • Love 3

Holt made his speech because it was the right thing to do, but the resultant changes to the selection committee is going to be a huge boon to him too. If they only put a young, white woman on the shortlist for PR— with no intention of ever really choosing her— then they may well have included a gay, black man for the same reason.

• Love 7
On 4/8/2018 at 9:41 PM, wingster55 said:

I think that's the show though. Isn't Jake the main character? I understand it's an ensemble, but there is still a point of view. In Parks and Recreation, I don't recall seeing the central relationship from Ben's point of view, like... ever. But it's because Ben was with Leslie and Leslie was our POV. We are of course entitled to our opinions, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I think that's the show though. Isn't Jake the main character? I understand it's an ensemble, but there is still a point of view. In Parks and Recreation, I don't recall seeing the central relationship from Ben's point of view, like... ever. But it's because Ben was with Leslie and Leslie was our POV. We are of course entitled to our opinions, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Off the top of my head, the very first "treat yo self" episode where Ben tries on the Batsuit, had him express sadness about breaking up with Leslie. 

11 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Off the top of my head, the very first "treat yo self" episode where Ben tries on the Batsuit, had him express sadness about breaking up with Leslie. 

I honestly don't think there is another example from that entire series. But, I guess what they are giving us is enough for me. 

• Love 1
On 4/9/2018 at 3:07 PM, Mama No Life said:

The funniest bit to me was Holt's little boogie when he attempted to trash talk with Gina.  "Be professional Gina.  Like the nurses who care for (whatever he said)" then a little shimmy.  Perfect.

I can't remember exactly what he said, but the gist was "Like the nurses who care for (the dinosaur candidates who are so old they need a nurse). That's some good shade!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I honestly don't think there is another example from that entire series. But, I guess what they are giving us is enough for me. 

I'm pretty sure that we got more but I'd have to go back. Nevertheless we got his backstory, met his entire family, (well immediate), learned of his feelings for Leslie earlier than we learned about hers for Ben. We saw him routinely interacting with other characters. 

For Amy, we still haven't met her brothers, haven't seen her with Holt once this season, do we even know who her maid of honor is? There's stories there but they won't write them for the woc. Not a good look. Similar to the majority of Rosa's plots being romance based.  

1 hour ago, wingster55 said:

For Amy, we still haven't met her brothers, haven't seen her with Holt once this season, do we even know who her maid of honor is? There's stories there but they won't write them for the woc. Not a good look. Similar to the majority of Rosa's plots being romance based.  

Okay, I'm trying to follow. You are saying we haven't seen the Jake Amy relationship from Amy's perspective, and also that WOC are stuck in plots that are always romance based? I don't even disagree, I'm just lost since that contradicts itself. I think women of color haven't gotten to be fully fleshed out in relationships in the past (sexless Lisa Turtle for example) and I appreciate how this show gives so many layers to the very different WOC Santiago and Diaz. 

I fully agree that I want to meet Amy's brothers and someone online suggested Lin-Manuel Miranda as one of her brothers (they are real life friends) and now I have my heart set on that! 

• Love 4

I'm saying that Rosa is the one usually stuck in romance plots. But that the writing...failure isn't the right word, but that it doesn't do as much as it could with both characters

11 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Okay, I'm trying to follow. You are saying we haven't seen the Jake Amy relationship from Amy's perspective, and also that WOC are stuck in plots that are always romance based? I don't even disagree, I'm just lost since that contradicts itself. I think women of color haven't gotten to be fully fleshed out in relationships in the past (sexless Lisa Turtle for example) and I appreciate how this show gives so many layers to the very different WOC Santiago and Diaz. 

I fully agree that I want to meet Amy's brothers and someone online suggested Lin-Manuel Miranda as one of her brothers (they are real life friends) and now I have my heart set on that! 

• Love 1
On 4/9/2018 at 1:48 PM, iMonrey said:

Been low rated so likely figured to set up a series finale just in case.