Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Love Bull Durham. Actually, that rigid quality works for 'Dances with Wolves' as he's playing an army officer. And I think it works in Wyatt Earp as well. Hell, a lot of his roles seem to fit that rigid quality. It's just that he went through this period where all of his movies were these epic-length affairs... I thought I was going to get hypothermia during JFK that theatre was so cold and the movie was so long.

As for Wyatt Earp... I'd just rather watch Tombstone. (Although Dennis Quiad is great as Doc in Costners version.)

The only thing worth watching in Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is Alan Rickman.

Agreed. I watch that movie just to listen to Rickman's voice, I love it.

Well I guess this is now an Unpopular Opinion: I love Kevin Costner.

I loved him when I first saw Silverado, and I love him all the way through to Waterworld (The Postman was a step too far, even for me). He's got a really appealing everyman quality that I've always liked, and the stiffness that some people see doesn't play like that for me at all. He just seems like a real guy with a reserved nature (and that is usually true of the characters he plays). But despite that, there's always a warmth and affability to his personality that comes across well.

I think Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is great fun, which is all it's meant to be. It's not like there's ever been a Robin Hood movie worthy of being hailed as a great piece of cinema. It's just a swashbuckling tale of evil princes (or sheriffs), beautiful ladies and heroic rogues, which is exactly what that movie is.

He always plays the same role? I've had this conversation before about actors, and feel that's one of the marks of a true Hollywood icon. That they can just play themselves and people will go and see the movie. I'm not saying Costner is a true icon, or anything close to it, but I don't think that simply playing very similar characters over and over is a bad thing, from an entertainment standpoint. Not if people like the character you play.

• Love 1

For me, if I'm going to watch Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves I'll actually just watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights. It's shorter and funnier and infinitely more quotable. I feel that Prince of Thieves tended to take itself way too seriously. And Costner's accent is all. over. the place. Really, if I were going to watch a more serious Robin Hood piece, I'd go with Robin and Marian.

• Love 4

Disney's Robin Hood is still the top contender as far as I'm concerned.

I really liked Costner up through Tin Cup, but I don't think he's wowed me in a role since. And I thought he was easily the worst thing about Man of Steel, which is a real achievement when your competition is a fleet of dildo-shaped rockets and Michael Shannon popping his eyes out like a Chuck Jones cartoon character.

• Love 1

I loved him when I first saw Silverado, and I love him all the way through to Waterworld

UO, maybe, I guess - Watwerworld is actually a pretty good movie. I re-watched it recently, and I've come to the conclusion that, aside from Dennis Hopper's manic scarfing of the scenery, the panning it got wasn't/isn't warranted.

I also finally saw American Hustle, and I had to watch it twice because the first time I couldn't concentrate on what was happening because the hair on the guys was so hilariously distracting. Between Renner's semi-mullet, Bale's fake combover, and Cooper's home perm, I'd keep losing the thread of events. I know this was set in 1978, and Boogie Nights, which was set in roughly the same era, never distracted me that way, but there you go

• Love 2

Disney still has the foxiest Robin going. (Har! But I'm totally serious at the same time.)

I actually enjoyed Costner in Man of Steel and I didn't like much. I weirdly liked both of Superman's Dads in that movie. And then got bored when it felt like the lat fight scene lasted for an hour. I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've seen Costner in when it comes down to it. I just think he went a little over-board on those ridiculously long long long movies back in the 90s. I haven't seen either Waterworld or The Postman both movies that got panned like crazy at the time but I've heard from many that neither were nearly as bad as critics claimed.

But, hey, I'm also one who didn't get why John Carter got killed before it ever hit the screen. I really enjoyed that movie... I guess that one was some sort of in-studio battle that resulted in it getting publicly decimated by its own studio before it ever came out. I mean... damn.

• Love 1

The sad thing was, that movie really did justice to the original Pulp era stories AND managed to add agency and credible intelligence to Dejah Thoris without taking anything away from the character. It was pretty much everything I could have asked for in an adaptation, so of course it went almost $100 million in the red.

• Love 1

Yeah, Disney's Robin Hood is my favourite version of the story, but Prince of Thieves is a close second. I was asked the other day what my absolute favourite Disney movie is, and after a few seconds of consideration, I came up with Robin Hood. It combines all the elements of fun, wit, excitement and nostalgia perfectly. Even if Little John is just Baloo wearing a hat.

I haven't seen either Waterworld or The Postman both movies that got panned like crazy at the time but I've heard from many that neither were nearly as bad as critics claimed.

But, hey, I'm also one who didn't get why John Carter got killed before it ever hit the screen. I really enjoyed that movie... I guess that one was some sort of in-studio battle that resulted in it getting publicly decimated by its own studio before it ever came out. I mean... damn.

I genuinely think Waterworld is a good movie. It's exciting, fun, got great cinematography and effects. The reasons people like to mock it are because it cost so much and took so long. And I think it was as the Kevin Costner Backlash was taking off. You know, that period where an actor can't do anything without being panned for it. It kind of started with Wyatt Earp, then carried through Waterworld, Tin Cup and The Postman and that was it. The Postman is bad, though.

As for John Carter, I think it was much better than advertised, and still don't know why Disney decided to sabotage it so effectively. Was it going to win any awards? No, of course not. But I think it was far better than some of the blockbuster crap that's produced (anyone want another flippin' Transformers movie? Anyone?).

• Love 1

Someone must the way those things rake in the cash. Though I'll admit I tend to watch Dark of the Moon when it comes on TV for Frances McDormand and Buzz Aldrin. (The scenes with Sleazy LaPlagiarism, Hot Vacuous Girl du jour, and Jackson Pollock paintings of CGI morphing robot parts tend to get passed over in favor of something more entertaining, like housework.)

I don't think Jake Gyllenhaal is attractive and I consider him to be a subpar actor. On that note, I thought he and Anne Hathaway were the definition of anti-chemistry in Love & Other Drugs which is a terrible movie. I had to sit throught that because my BFF has horrible taste in films (and men).

Edited by DiamondDoll
  • Love 2

With the recent news about the new Ghostbusters remake, I feel like I am the only one not excited about it for two reasons:

1.) The stars. I don't have much of an opinion about Kate McKinnon but I am already saying no thanks because of Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. No matter what movie either of them are in they are the same character each time and I do not understand their popularity (I was in complete shock at hearing people say they want Wiig to host the Golden Globes next year, seriously??). And I'm not really hopeful for that to change because the director is the same one who did Bridesmaids (another UO - I hated that movie).

2.) Do we really need a remake? Especially with the news of Chris Pratt possibly playing Indiana Jones in a remake, I don't understand why we feel the need to make remakes of classics so soon. Why not remake a terrible movie and put a new spin on it that makes it better? Or why not just make a movie that's separate from Ghostbusters but has a similar premise and happens to use women instead of men? A movie with Chris Pratt as an adventurer sounds awesome, but why does he have to be Indiana Jones? Just make a new character in a new setting and try something new. I just feel like it's lazy.

I guess I'm more annoyed at this because I'm a female and therefore I'm supposed to be thrilled with the new Ghostbusters and all it does is make me roll my eyes. And I wasn't even a massive fan of the original so I can't claim to be a purist, or whatever. 

• Love 12

I just feel like it's lazy.

It is lazy. It's very corporate, and more about The Brand than idea or script or movie. Remember, they don't want to have to actually work to advertise - they can just put on the "Ghostbusters/ Indiana Jones" brand and expect people in seats. Awareness means more than anything, because they don't make movies anymore- they serve to keep the company brand churning.

• Love 5
(edited)

I guess I'm more annoyed at this because I'm a female and therefore I'm supposed to be thrilled with the new Ghostbusters and all it does is make me roll my eyes. And I wasn't even a massive fan of the original so I can't claim to be a purist, or whatever.

Which is my UO:  I thought Ghostbusters had it's moments, but as a whole, it was just ok for me.  Certainly not good enough for a remake.  In fact, I did rent Ghostbusters II when it came out on video just for the hell of it and it was that movie that had one of my favorite moments.  It was a simple, nothing moment, but Bill Murray's delivery cracked me up:  "Next week--hairless pets.  Gross."

It is lazy. It's very corporate, and more about The Brand than idea or script or movie. Remember, they don't want to have to actually work to advertise - they can just put on the "Ghostbusters/ Indiana Jones" brand and expect people in seats. Awareness means more than anything, because they don't make movies anymore- they serve to keep the company brand churning.

And what's really frustrating is, I have three friends who are trying to write scripts as a career (one is doing better than the other two), whose work I've read (fairly original ideas, too) and find  very good, who can't get sell anything.  But, there are remakes left and right out there right now.  I'm sure they aren't the only ones, either.

Edited by Shannon L.

I love me some Tom Cruise. Always have and always will. He's not my absolute fave actor (that would be Kenneth Branagh), but he's definitely right after Sir Kenneth. I think he's good at what he does, I enjoy his movies, and I think he's handsome with a great smile.

Top Gun is the greatest movie ever as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Gumdrops

So my Kevin Costner UP is as such; I think he's a decent enough actor, not great but solid. I enjoy him in good movies (No Way Out, Bull Durham), he's proven that he can not save a bad movie at all (Robin Hood, The Postman). He's an average actor. Not great, not terrible, just average. However, even at his best I think the man has zero sex appeal! I have never understood him as a sex symbol and shake my head that he was ever considered one of the sexist working actors. Even as a young man he looked like an accountant to me. No charisma there.

Little late to the Kevin Costner discussion, but wanted to add my two cents.

I have said time and time again that I don't like him in anything, yet every time I watch something with him in it, I enjoy it.

I guess my UO would be that my favorite movie with him in it would be a little known flick called Fandango ... if you ever have a chance to see this Mid 80's masterpiece, grab it. 

• Love 1

So my Kevin Costner UP is as such; I think he's a decent enough actor, not great but solid. I enjoy him in good movies (No Way Out, Bull Durham), he's proven that he can not save a bad movie at all (Robin Hood, The Postman). He's an average actor. Not great, not terrible, just average. However, even at his best I think the man has zero sex appeal! I have never understood him as a sex symbol and shake my head that he was ever considered one of the sexist working actors. Even as a young man he looked like an accountant to me. No charisma there.

Gosh, when I was young, I thought he was terribly handsome and sexy.  I loved Bull Durham, liked Field of Dreams and Tin Cup, and thought No Way Out was a crappy movie but he had great chemistry with Sean Young in the limousine.  That was enough for me, at the time.  However, when he made Dances with Wolves and JFK, I was no longer interested.  I thought he was taking himself far too seriously.  So, those (first 4) are the only movies I've ever seen with him.

I agree he might be a little stiff.  But - those were the 80s.  As far as I can remember, Richard Gere was the only straight up, fully grown adult I can remember playing romantic leads, and he's pretty stiff, too.  The only other big stars I remember from that era are William Hurt and Harrison Ford, who weren't as handsome as those two, and Tom Cruise, who was far more charismatic but so much more youthful, it doesn't seem fair to put him in the same class.  But ... they were all a step up from Stallone and Travolta, in my book.

On the other hand, maybe I just loved Costner back then because my boyfriend was a baseball player and it was the only sport I understood.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 3

The only other big stars I remember from that era are William Hurt and Harrison Ford, who weren't as handsome as those two

I guess my UO is that Harrison Ford was fine as hell, especially in the 80's lol. Indiana Jones could get it!

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 7

I guess it's an UO that Dances with Wolves is a great movie.  I still stop to watch it whenever I see it's on.  The beauty of the landscape and the music take me away every time.  And I adore Mary Mc Donnell.

• Love 5

Adding to some of the Jennifer Lawrence UOs posted here earlier.

I haven't seen any of her movies, so this is based entirely on her public persona:

When she won her Oscar and fell while going up to accept it, I understood that she probably nervous/her dress was super long, it happens. Her reaction to Jack Nicholson coming up to her was genuine and sweet, and there are some other quotes of hers that I think are funny. But after she fell at the Oscars for a second time in a row last year on the red carpet, she has since started to wear on me quite a bit. And if she falls at the Oscars AGAIN this year, I will officially be forced to say: "Bitch, either pick up your dress and keep moving, or wear a shorter dress!"

*ahem*

But yeah, her behavior has gotten tiresome to me.

And I also like Anne Hathaway. I remember being STUNNED when I found an article about why women hate her. Admittedly, I first saw her in The Princess Diaries when I was 12, so I have some automatic goodwill towards her because of that, but she just comes across as very classy and nice and I can't help but like her.

• Love 5

I guess my UO is that Harrison Ford was fine as hell, especially in the 80's lol. Indiana Jones could get it!

If that is an unpopular opinion, I am the most unpopular person in the world -- Harrison Ford was my first crush, I love him.  In the Galaxy of Fame, he is my Sun.

• Love 5

And I also like Anne Hathaway. I remember being STUNNED when I found an article about why women hate her. Admittedly, I first saw her in The Princess Diaries when I was 12, so I have some automatic goodwill towards her because of that, but she just comes across as very classy and nice and I can't help but like her.

I also like Anne Hathaway. Mind you, people are entitled to dislike her, I don't care, but the volume of hatred aimed towards her is alarming and pathetic. Seriously, what the hell did she do to deserve such vitriol? Did she run over someone's dog? Sacrifice someone's first born? Become blood sisters with Gwyneth Paltrow? 

Re: Jennifer Lawrence

I haven't seen any of her movies, so this is based entirely on her public persona:

When she won her Oscar and fell while going up to accept it, I understood that she probably nervous/her dress was super long, it happens. Her reaction to Jack Nicholson coming up to her was genuine and sweet, and there are some other quotes of hers that I think are funny. But after she fell at the Oscars for a second time in a row last year on the red carpet, she has since started to wear on me quite a bit. And if she falls at the Oscars AGAIN this year, I will officially be forced to say: "Bitch, either pick up your dress and keep moving, or wear a shorter dress!"

*ahem*

But yeah, her behavior has gotten tiresome to me.

I love Jennifer Lawrence, but I hope she isn't proving the naysayers right by tripping on purpose. I would hate to think she's pulling cheap little stunts to maintain her "cute and relatable" persona.

Which brings me to another UO:

"Relatable" doesn't mean all that much to me, whether in regards to real people or fictional characters. For real people, I like knowing that people who famous and acclaimed are superior to me. I'm a thoroughly unimpressive human being, I wouldn't want someone like me to make it in show business, and neither would any of you. Likewise, I like characters who remind me of myself, but I vastly prefer characters who are either a lot better or a lot worse than I am, because they're a hell of a lot more interesting. I could never hope to be as kickass as Ellen Ripley or Marion Ravenwood, unflappably classy as Nora Charles, or as spirited as Belle (I could never look as good in yellow, either), and that's why I love them.

I hate it when writers go out of their way to make a character who's relatable to everyone. You know, someone with no extraordinary gifts, no notable virtues, no compelling flaws that they either need to overcome or will be destroyed by, just an every-person in every way whose greatest achievement is that they're so darn nice and so darn loving and blah, blah, blah...

Sorry, but characters like that grate my nerves.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

I like Ms. Hathaway too, but I think she irritated a lot of people (including me) when she campaigned so hard for the Oscar-TM last year. Personally, I thought her "oh, little ol' me, I can't believe I've won (time after time after time)" performance wore a little thin, and other people seem to feel more strongly about it than that.  

If that is an unpopular opinion, I am the most unpopular person in the world -- Harrison Ford was my first crush, I love him.  In the Galaxy of Fame, he is my Sun.

Dude. I've been in love with Harrison Ford since 1977 when I saw him as Han Solo when I was quite wee. And, yes, in the 80s... damn. Seriously, I hate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom it's, for me, the absolute worst of the Indy movies but Harrison Ford is so scorching hot in that movie I will still watch the shit out of that flick.

• Love 3

Dude. I've been in love with Harrison Ford since 1977 when I saw him as Han Solo when I was quite wee. And, yes, in the 80s... damn. Seriously, I hate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom it's, for me, the absolute worst of the Indy movies but Harrison Ford is so scorching hot in that movie I will still watch the shit out of that flick.

Not to too obviously date myself, but Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is the first movie I remember seeing in my life. It's not the first film I saw, just the first I remember.  And I have loved Harrison Ford ever since.  It makes me sad to watch that movie with adult eyes and realize it's pretty grossly sexist and racist but I still have an irrational attachment to it.

Also, I like Anne Hathaway.  I'm not a superfan of the public persona she's cultivated but there are worse personas out there.  Generally she keeps her private shit on the DL and I respect that.  Also, I feel there's a tinge of sexism in the attitude to her "campaign" for the Oscar and her subsequent humility when receiving the awards -- if she went up and was like, "Thank God, I totally deserved this and if I didn't get it I would have had to cut a bitch" she wouldn't have made many friends either.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 4

Also, I like Anne Hathaway.  I'm not a superfan of the public persona she's cultivated but there are worse personas out there.  Generally she keeps her private shit on the DL and I respect that.  Also, I feel there's a tinge of sexism in the attitude to her "campaign" for the Oscar and her subsequent humility when receiving the awards -- if she went up and was like, "Thank God, I totally deserved this and if I didn't get it I would have had to cut a bitch" she wouldn't have made many friends either.

Well said, dusang! Although, that hypothetical quote would have made for heck of a memorable acceptance speech...

• Love 5

Agreed. I'm not sure why it's a bad thing that she wanted to win an Oscar and thought she deserved to win one. She was right. I like Anne Hathaway a lot, and I've commented on the fact that so many people dislike her before. The most prevalent reason for it I've heard amongst women who talk about it is that Anne Hathaway reminds them of that girl at school who was smarter and prettier than everyone else, and so got called 'bitch' behind her back, even though she was perfectly nice to everyone. It seems to be that kind of level of intellectual reasoning, for many of them.

There is sexism, of course. I feel there are those who feel threatened by a woman who is perfectly happy to let people know she has a brain and is willing to use it. I think she committed the heinous crime of appearing to be ambitious, whilst also possessing a vagina. There are certain people in Hollywood who frown on that sort of thing. Which, coincidentally, plays into why I feel Jennifer Lawrence is so popular. She plays the other side of the coin. She acts the simple ditz, the 'aw shucks, I'm so silly' girl that puts others in a comfort zone where they can adopt easy, paternalistic attitudes. She can't be as dumb as she presents herself, to have gotten to where she is in her career, but because she doesn't challenge people, she doesn't get that insidious pushback in the media. That's my theory, anyway.

• Love 7

Danny Franks , you are part of the reason I stated my UOs on Lawrence and Hathaway--I've liked reading what you've said about them before! 

Woody Allen UO:

As much as I love Annie Hall, I am a bigger fan of Hannah and Her Sisters. Seeing that movie as a young teenage girl inspired my love for Bach, actually. 

Agreed. I'm not sure why it's a bad thing that she wanted to win an Oscar and thought she deserved to win one. She was right. I like Anne Hathaway a lot, and I've commented on the fact that so many people dislike her before. The most prevalent reason for it I've heard amongst women who talk about it is that Anne Hathaway reminds them of that girl at school who was smarter and prettier than everyone else, and so got called 'bitch' behind her back, even though she was perfectly nice to everyone. It seems to be that kind of level of intellectual reasoning, for many of them.

There is sexism, of course. I feel there are those who feel threatened by a woman who is perfectly happy to let people know she has a brain and is willing to use it. I think she committed the heinous crime of appearing to be ambitious, whilst also possessing a vagina. There are certain people in Hollywood who frown on that sort of thing. Which, coincidentally, plays into why I feel Jennifer Lawrence is so popular. She plays the other side of the coin. She acts the simple ditz, the 'aw shucks, I'm so silly' girl that puts others in a comfort zone where they can adopt easy, paternalistic attitudes. She can't be as dumb as she presents herself, to have gotten to where she is in her career, but because she doesn't challenge people, she doesn't get that insidious pushback in the media. That's my theory, anyway.

I kind of feel the need to respectfully note that any time "women" are painted with this broad a brush, it's kind of sexist. The description sounds like basic jealousy, and women do not have a monopoly on that emotion.  Just sayin'.  

Having read a number of "women hate Anne Hathaway" articles, I kind of wonder whether anyone still hates her or it was a case of temporary overexposure due to the Oscar-TM campaign trail.  One would like to think that an actor's performance would speak for itself, but campaigning for an award has become the norm.

• Love 5

"Relatable" doesn't mean all that much to me, whether in regards to real people or fictional characters. For real people, I like knowing that people who famous and acclaimed are superior to me. I'm a thoroughly unimpressive human being, I wouldn't want someone like me to make it in show business, and neither would any of you.

But thoroughly unimpressive people make it in show-business all.  the.  time.  Don't sell yourself short; with the right agent, publicist, stylist, and scandal, you too could be the next Kardashian, Teen Mom, Kesha, or any number of otherwise prosaic people who just happen to know somebody. 

Edited by 80srockher
  • Love 3

I kind of feel the need to respectfully note that any time "women" are painted with this broad a brush, it's kind of sexist. The description sounds like basic jealousy, and women do not have a monopoly on that emotion.  Just sayin'.  

Having read a number of "women hate Anne Hathaway" articles, I kind of wonder whether anyone still hates her or it was a case of temporary overexposure due to the Oscar-TM campaign trail.  One would like to think that an actor's performance would speak for itself, but campaigning for an award has become the norm.

I'm not Danny Franks, obviously, but I don't think the implication was that "all" women feel any particular way about Anne Hathaway, nor that they have a monopoly on jealousy or any other emotion. It is possible to like or dislike an actress without bringing gender into it.

• Love 1

I'm not Danny Franks, obviously, but I don't think the implication was that "all" women feel any particular way about Anne Hathaway, nor that they have a monopoly on jealousy or any other emotion. It is possible to like or dislike an actress without bringing gender into it.

I agree that it's possible to like/dislike an actor/actress without bringing gender into the equation; but I don't think that I am the one who introduced gender into the discussion, or that I am the one who stated that "It seems to be that kind of level of intellectual reasoning, for many of them (women who talk about it)."   Perhaps I am incorrect in thinking that. 

• Love 2

I agree that it's possible to like/dislike an actor/actress without bringing gender into the equation; but I don't think that I am the one who introduced gender into the discussion, or that I am the one who stated that "It seems to be that kind of level of intellectual reasoning, for many of them (women who talk about it)."   Perhaps I am incorrect in thinking that. 

Given that I qualified the statement by saying that it was the "most prevalent" view I'd heard, and again at the end by saying "for many of them", I'm not sure why you'd assume I was implying the statement covered all women. 

Given that I qualified the statement by saying that it was the "most prevalent" view I'd heard, and again at the end by saying "for many of them", I'm not sure why you'd assume I was implying the statement covered all women. 

I understand. I actually read what you'd stated that you'd also heard in a magazine a couple of years back. Also in it was how Hathaway was promoting something where it's a day where women around the world who have suffered abuse or rape decide to join together and dance at the same time. The author was saying she'd frequently heard other woman not like Ann for pretty vague reasons, but that the author thought Ann was a beautiful woman inside and out. I understand that saying "people" rather than "women" would have been more sensitive, but I did recall that being what the author said. Though, maybe that's my ingrained conceptualization of gender at work, changing my memory. (Really. I don't know)

I enjoyed the article.

Harumph. Well, I found the website article that has some of the article that was in the magazine. At the very beginning it says it's where Ann talks about her haters, but that part conveniently (not so conveniently for me) isn't in there. Grrr. Anyway, here's the link if anyone is interested in the rest.

http://www.glamour.com/entertainment/blogs/obsessed/2012/12/anne-hathaway-talks-about-her

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

am the only one who doesn't find Chris Hemsworth handsome? Or any of the Hemsworths, really. I like CH and obviously he's very fit, but facially? Eh.

I'll give you that Liam looks like a monkey but I enjoy Chris.  (Also, hanging Mjolnir on the coatrack was his improv, so I have to like him for that. Or at least that's a story I heard.)

Edited by dusang
  • Love 2