Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

The only Patrick Swayze thing I like is when Conky, Bubbles' ventriloquist dummy, drives Julian insane on "Trailer Park Boys" by singing to him and calling him Patrick Swayze, causing him to shoot the dummy. (It's really insane and a sight to behold.)

• Love 1

For, ribbon, for. Someone linked me to it ages ago, and I literally burst out laughing and then couldn't stop. I kind of like Dirty Dancing, or at least I don't hate it, but OMG. She's in her underwear and he's trying to act all seductive, and I'm just howling because it's so hilarious.

Patrick Swayze was hot, but all I kept thinking was that that his back must be killing him, having to hold up Jennifer Grey (not that she was fat) while dancing and swinging both of them around.

• Love 1

I feel similarly about Grease. The only difference is, I actually CAN watch the first, say, half hour or so of the movie and like it, but right around the end of "Hopelessly Devoted To You" and/or "Grease Lighting",  I just get bored and tune out until around "You're The One That I Want." Again, it's been years, so maybe I'd feel differently, but again...I don't know. 

The two numbers from Grease that I always have to catch are "Beauty School Dropout" and the "Hand Jive" number from the dance. I haven't been able to sit through the entire film for years though, it feels like such a chore.

I love Road House more than I do Dirty Dancing.   Road House was pure cheese but Patrick Swayze looked good & it had the added bonus of having Sam Elliott in it (who I still to this day think is extremely sexy)

I do like Grease but my favorite part that I always watch is the dance because I absolutely love Sha Na Na (yes I did watch their variety show when it was on)

As bad as Grease 2 is - I'll still sit & watch it every time it's on TV.

I hate Forrest Gump & have never seen The Sound of Music (and don't ever plan to)

• Love 3

For, ribbon, for. Someone linked me to it ages ago, and I literally burst out laughing and then couldn't stop. I kind of like Dirty Dancing, or at least I don't hate it, but OMG. She's in her underwear and he's trying to act all seductive, and I'm just howling because it's so hilarious.

Hee, thanks for clarifying.  I wasn't sure, so better to ask!

Patrick Swayze was hot, but all I kept thinking was that that his back must be killing him, having to hold up Jennifer Grey (not that she was fat) while dancing and swinging both of them around.

And I'm done....I cannot stop laughing. I think my favorite part is the expressions on their faces: Patrick has one of fierce concentration (maybe he's trying to keep from falling over?), and Jennifer has one of serenity, like she's lying on a beach getting a tan. I can't. 

I finally saw Frozen and I don't care for it like I do other Disney movies. The song Let It Go is overplayed and I'm not a big fan of it but I do prefer Demi Lovato singing it more than anyone else.

Disney's best movies will always be The Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast and A Whole New World are some of Disney's best music. I was really underwhelmed with Frozen and will probably never see it again.

• Love 5

I agree that it was underwhelming. I mean, I thought it was fine, but it's got nothing on those early Renaissance-era movies, when Howard Ashman was in charge at Disney. The Ashman/Menken music combo just cannot be touched apparently, and nothing in Frozen matched any of the stuff they came up with. I'd put it on par with the quality of some of the later 90's ones, like Mulan and Tarzan maybe.

• Love 1

I really like her as Pepper in the Iron Man/Avengers movies.  I thought her entire scene with RDJ in the beginning of The Avengers ("I was having 12% of a moment" :) was great--they have really good chemistry, imo. 

Yeah, I don't like Paltrow but I thought she was really god as Pepper Potts.  She was a love interest who actually brought something to the table.

My biggest crush of the Old Hollywood actors? Jimmy Stewart. He may not have been traditionally handsome by most standards, but he works for me. I would have married him instantly back then if I had the chance.

• Love 6

That's what I was thinking--the way his back was hunched most of the time. 

Someone linked me to it ages ago, and I literally burst out laughing and then couldn't stop. I kind of like Dirty Dancing, or at least I don't hate it, but OMG. She's in her underwear and he's trying to act all seductive, and I'm just howling because it's so hilarious.

I was too busy feeling second hand embarrassment for them to laugh. 

I'm not a fan of Roadhouse, but I loved his character and Sam Elliot's, of course.  Also, our son is name after Patrick Swayze--I really like him. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

The movie I fall asleep for is 2001. Once or twice I haven't made it past the neanderthals.

Oh Yes to sleeping!  I just can't hang with any movie with little or no dialog, I am out like a light.  I  haven't even attempted Gravity or All is Lost for this very reason.

I keep it on the DVR for insomnia.  In however many years, I have never seen more than the first 5 minutes!  Ditto for "The Piano".

I hate The Piano. Holly Hunter was good (I've never seen her give a bad performance), but Anna Paquin annoyed the ever-living crap out of me, and it pissed me off that she won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Feh. I know it ain't right, but I wanted that little demon-child Flora to get hers.

And this is probably even more unpopular, but I hate the love story in The Piano. First of all, Harvey Keitel? Decent actor, but has no business playing a love interest (or being naked). Also, doesn't it bother anyone that George and Ada have absolutely nothing in common and that they can't communicate? Ada is mute, and can communicate by writing things down, but George is illiterate! Worst of all, he never, ever seems to take any steps to rectify this, which raises the question: how do they talk to one another, and what do they talk about?! And don't make the argument that "at least the sex is great", because someday they're going to get too old and tired for all that, and then what's left? She's going to be stuck with this illiterate lump with no interests who can't read, do sign language, or play the piano, and she's going to realize what a horrible, horrible relationship she's wasted her life on! He didn't even take the time to learn to read so that he could properly communicate with his beloved!

• Love 1

The movie I fall asleep for is 2001. Once or twice I haven't made it past the neanderthals.

Me too.  I like science fiction and I've tried to get what the big deal is about this movie.  It looks nice, sure, but that's it.  That can't hold my attention for 2+ hours.  I cannot understand what anyone sees in that movie.  Of course, I feel that way about Kubrick himself.

• Love 1

And this is probably even more unpopular, but I hate the love story in The Piano. First of all, Harvey Keitel? Decent actor, but has no business playing a love interest (or being naked). Also, doesn't it bother anyone that George and Ada have absolutely nothing in common and that they can't communicate? Ada is mute, and can communicate by writing things down, but George is illiterate! Worst of all, he never, ever seems to take any steps to rectify this, which raises the question: how do they talk to one another, and what do they talk about?! And don't make the argument that "at least the sex is great", because someday they're going to get too old and tired for all that, and then what's left? She's going to be stuck with this illiterate lump with no interests who can't read, do sign language, or play the piano, and she's going to realize what a horrible, horrible relationship she's wasted her life on! He didn't even take the time to learn to read so that he could properly communicate with his beloved!

Conversely, Sam Neill's character, the probably educated landowner who basically bought Ava and then gave away her beloved piano, was the one who ended up mutilating her, so it isn't like her actual husband was some prize. Given the choice, I can see why she picked the guy who couldn't read. Illiteracy is fixable. Being an abusive jackhole isn't.

• Love 2

Conversely, Sam Neill's character, the probably educated landowner who basically bought Ava and then gave away her beloved piano, was the one who ended up mutilating her, so it isn't like her actual husband was some prize. Given the choice, I can see why she picked the guy who couldn't read. Illiteracy is fixable. Being an abusive jackhole isn't.

Fair enough, Cobalt Stargazer. I certainly wasn't rooting for Sam Neill's character, I was just annoyed that Harvey Keitel's character was such a boring lump who didn't see fit to learn to read or understand sign language in order to communicate with his beloved. Even at the end, there's no hint that he's ever going to learn. Ada was really too good for either of those losers. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch

The Piano has lost much of its appeal to me over the years (and it was pretty much downhill for Jane Campion after that), but it's still a beautifully acted film, and I'm glad Anna Paquin escaped the child star curse and has enjoyed a pretty steady career. However - and here's my UO of the day - I think Rosie Perez should've won the Oscar that year.

• Love 1

I finally saw Frozen and I don't care for it like I do other Disney movies. The song Let It Go is overplayed and I'm not a big fan of it but I do prefer Demi Lovato singing it more than anyone else.

I forced myself to watch this tonight, and I absolutely do not understand the overwhelming hype. It was just OK. Nothing more, nothing less. The snowman made me chuckle, and that was pretty much the only thing I'm taking away from the film. The music sucks, and I'll never be a fan of CGI animation. Having said that about CGI, I thoroughly enjoyed Tangled. Far better film.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 4
Guest Accused Dingo
I forced myself to watch this tonight, and I absolutely do not understand the overwhelming hype. It was just OK. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the record the hype came mainly because neither of the sisters ended up marrying/being saved by the handsome dude.  The story wasn't about twuluv.  It was more about sisterly love which appealed to a large group of girls (including me,)  Although I do think the movie was overhyped I do give it credit for at least that.    

My major UO is that I tend to like movies that no one has ever heard of.   

The Caller (Very Low Budget horror movie)

The Tall Man (The Children in a small mining town start disappearing)

Both have gotten VERY mixed reviews but I like them and they can be streamed on Netflix.  

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 1

I forced myself to watch this tonight, and I absolutely do not understand the overwhelming hype. It was just OK. Nothing more, nothing less. The snowman made me chuckle, and that was pretty much the only thing I'm taking away from the film. The music sucks, and I'll never be a fan of CGI animation. Having said that about CGI, I thoroughly enjoyed Tangled. Far better film.

My daughter sings musical theatre, and during festival season, I must have heard at least 10 different kids attempt to sing 'Let It Go', at this point, I call it 'Make It Stop'.  Those songs are like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I will never see that movie, but I hate it anyway.

• Love 1

I had a hard time appreciating The Help for a number of reasons, and I absolutely detest the whole chocolate pie situation.  I realize it was a plot device to protect their anonymity and, sure, Bryce's character had it coming, but I didn't think it was funny or poetic justice - it was nauseating and way beneath Octavia's character.

I also thought it changed the whole tone of the film - and the subject matter deserved better than a revolting punchline better suited to whatever bullshit Judd Apatow's cranked out this year.

Edited by lyric
  • Love 3

I had a hard time appreciating The Help for a number of reasons, and I absolutely detest the whole chocolate pie situation.  I realize it was a plot device to protect their anonymity and, sure, Bryce's character had it coming, but I didn't think it was funny or poetic justice - it was nauseating and way beneath Octavia's character.

You're the first person I've heard say what I was thinking.  I did like The Help--especially some of the performances--but I didn't love it and the pie thing is exactly why.

I don't like The Help for a number of reasons, but a few reasons include the pie scene, and that Hilly Holbrook is a lame, lame, lame villain. First off, I hate to sound like I'm defending Hilly, because obviously she's a terrible person, but you do realize that if Hilly hadn't thought of the bill that required the help to use separate bathrooms, surely someone else would have? This is the South in the 1960s; most, if not everyone, treated their black housekeepers like that. I'm sorry, but Hilly is just a racist bitch in a world full of racist bitches, so she doesn't work as a villain, because she isn't special enough. She's a pampered, racist brat who wants her housekeeper to not use the same bathroom as she does… so? You're telling me no one else at that time and place felt that way? If this had taken place in the 2010s and Hilly was a charismatic white supremacist who was able to bring back segregation, now that's a scary villain. But instead she was a dime-a-dozen racist idiot in the 1960s South. Big deal. 

About the pie scene: that made me sympathize with Hilly (don't judge me yet). Why? Well, for one thing, do you have any idea how fucking toxic shit is? You do realize Hilly could have contracted God knows what and possibly died, right (remember, she ate two slices)? Also, this was a time where the police could rough up a black man for so much as lightly grabbing a white woman's arm… you're telling me Hilly didn't call the fucking police and have Minny thrown in the clink? And that "Hilly's shallow and cares too much about her reputation" jazz is such a load. There is no way Hilly wouldn't have pounced on the opportunity to ruin Minny's life and maybe get some sympathy points from everyone else. After all, Minny would have looked bad, not Hilly! It would have been better if it had been an actual chocolate pie, and Minny just pretended it was shit just to screw with Hilly's head, and then Hilly would have looked like an unsympathetic moron for falling for it!

• Love 1

Blue Is the Warmest Color is the best movie I have seen in the last five years.

Talk Radio (1988, directed by Oliver Stone) is my favorite film of all time. Eric Bogosian should have received an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for that film.

On board with the Frozen indifference. And agree with the person who preferred Tangled.

My UO is that I don't get the hype for Say Anything. I think I'm a few years too young to have been into it when it first came out, but the parts I've seen do nothing for me.

• Love 3

*takes deep breath*

I loved Superman Returns. Not in that enthusiastic, cerebral way, but as if I saw it a long time ago as a small child with my grandparents, wrapped up in a warm blanket kinda way. I never even saw the original Reeves Superman films, so it's not out of misguided nostalgia. I'm familiar with Superman from various versions in numerous mediums, so it's not like Brandon Routh is even "my" Superman. But that movie was the first time outside of the comics that I found Superman "beautiful." I awed at his majesty and remoteness. He really did seem like some unknowable, alien, godlike creature. Maybe it's more Silver Surfer than Superman, but it's a film that moved me and I can watch it any time.

So I know that any point that I make from now on can be invalidated by this shameful confession, but that's just how I inexplicably feel about it.

• Love 3

I understand what you mean, but not with the Routh version. I know it seems corny and dated now, but after pretty much a lifetime up to that point of watching antiheroes in muddy-colored movies, it's hard to describe what an impact Christopher Reeve's Superman had. He was sweet, he was shy, he was square-jawed, he was big without being distorted or steroidal, he was absurdly good looking... It made perfect sense to me that this was someone from somewhere else, because I'd never seen anything quite like him.

He died ten years ago yesterday, which is awful.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have seen the sequels, but that first movie was magical.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I thought Routh did a pretty good job as Superman/Clark. It was everything else happening in the film that irked me. 

I thought Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor and Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane were much more egregious miscasts than Brandon Routh was.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 6

*takes deep breath*

I loved Superman Returns. Not in that enthusiastic, cerebral way, but as if I saw it a long time ago as a small child with my grandparents, wrapped up in a warm blanket kinda way. I never even saw the original Reeves Superman films, so it's not out of misguided nostalgia. I'm familiar with Superman from various versions in numerous mediums, so it's not like Brandon Routh is even "my" Superman. But that movie was the first time outside of the comics that I found Superman "beautiful." I awed at his majesty and remoteness. He really did seem like some unknowable, alien, godlike creature. Maybe it's more Silver Surfer than Superman, but it's a film that moved me and I can watch it any time.

So I know that any point that I make from now on can be invalidated by this shameful confession, but that's just how I inexplicably feel about it.

I liked it too. I wouldn't go so far as saying I loved but it was as good, if not better than most superhero movies of the time (X3,  Sin City, both Fantastic Four Movies, Spiderman 3).  Plus I always find it funny that the movie was considered a failure when it made about the same amount of box office revenue that Batman Begins did (yes I know its budget was higher, but I think a lot of that can be attributed to paying for all the other times they tried to develop the Superman movie and paying people like Nick Cage, Kevin Smith, Tim Burton and JJ Abrams for movies that never happened).

This might get me stoned to death but...

I don't think Bill Murray is that funny. I said this to my husband last night after seeing non-stop commercials for his new movie last night and he was aghast. He started listing movies and I was like, "Nope, no, hate that movie, nope." The only one that I conceded was Stripes and even that one, for me, is due in large part to the supporting cast.

• Love 8

This might get me stoned to death but...

I don't think Bill Murray is that funny. I said this to my husband last night after seeing non-stop commercials for his new movie last night and he was aghast. He started listing movies and I was like, "Nope, no, hate that movie, nope." The only one that I conceded was Stripes and even that one, for me, is due in large part to the supporting cast.

If you are stoned to death, I'll be right there getting rocks in the head with you! I haven't seen any of his 80's movies; I think the earliest one I've seen is Groundhog Day, which I thought was an OK twist on the usual rom-com but not destined to become a "see it over and over and quote every line" favorite. I think he's better as one of Wes Anderson's secondary characters than as a leading man, either serious or funny. His glum apathetic characters in Lost in Translation and Broken Flowers were a snooze.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

If you are stoned to death, I'll be right there getting rocks in the head with you! I haven't seen any of his 80's movies

But, Ghostbusters? If you haven't seen it, you should. Even if Bill isn't your thing, its a strong ensemble cast. 

• Love 2

But, Ghostbusters? If you haven't seen it, you should. Even if Bill isn't your thing, its a strong ensemble cast. 

Ooops, you're right, I did see it a long time ago. Shows how much of an impact it made. About all I remember is "possessed" Sigourney Weaver and the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.

• Love 1