Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I think Anna Kendrick is overrated as is Pitch Perfect. I went in thinking I would love it and when it was finished I was very meh on it.

It had its moments but it could have been so much better. My main problems being:

-Were we supposed to like Anna Kendrick's character before the last half hour? She was ungrateful towards her father and openly insulted her stepmother (who we never met) to him, but we're supposed to root for her because she's "alternative" and has dreams of being a DJ.

-The jokes were very PG-13 but the plot seemed like a Disney Channel original movie.

-Adam DeVine's character (the antagonist for most of the movie) just exits the plot before the championship. He gets no comeuppance for abandoning his team and the climax lacks drama now that there's no villain.

-Rebel Wilson actually made me laugh a couple of times. That fills me with self-loathing.

• Love 1

It had its moments but it could have been so much better. My main problems being:

-Were we supposed to like Anna Kendrick's character before the last half hour? She was ungrateful towards her father and openly insulted her stepmother (who we never met) to him, but we're supposed to root for her because she's "alternative" and has dreams of being a DJ.

I wanted to smack her. Like, poor whatever-her-name-was, having to suffer through getting a fucking FREE college education. Boo fucking hoo. Every day I see tons of students who would probably murder someone they liked to get that deal.

You wanna create music? College ain't stopping you. It's smart to have that as a back up plan in case your dream doesn't work out. Personally, I cheered when the guy she apparently liked shut the door in her face because he wasn't interested in dealing with whatever the fuck she had going on. :)

Every time she whined about how she just wanted to make music, I wanted to scream. Did her college not offer any music classes? I think this may have been the only college-set movie I've ever seen where not a single class is mentioned/shown...

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

Not sure if this is considered a UO, but I have zero interest in 50 Shades of Grey. I don't find either of the stars to be attractive at all, and the commercials make me laugh at loud at how bad the dialogue is and how monotone his delivery is.

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 5

The appeal of Robert Redford is utterly lost to me.

Beyond the desertscapes, I find nothing interesting about Lawrence of Arabia. I like just about every other David Lean movie better.

While obviously not as good as Raging Bull, there's nothing embarrassing about Ordinary People winning Best Picture.

Ingmar Bergman is wildly overrated IMO.

• Love 1

I didn't like Pitch Perfect for a myriad of stupid reasons, one of them being Beca's satellite love interest blithely claiming that The Breakfast Club had "the greatest happy ending ever". Okay,

1. I hate The Breakfast Club, but I've already shared that UO, and

2. I can think of a thousand happy movie endings that are head and shoulders above the ending to The Breakfast Club! Singin' in the Rain, The Iron Giant, Monsters, Inc., The Princess Bride, Random Harvest, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Bridget Jones's Diary, Sixteen Candles, The Apartment, and those are just a few off the top of my head!

• Love 1

Not sure if this is considered a UO, but I have zero interest in 50 Shades of Grey.  I don't find either of the starts to be attractive at all, and the commercials make me laugh at loud at how bad the dialogue is and how monotone his delivery is.  

I remember when Jamie Dornan was cast, and I learned about him being known as "The Golden Torso" during his modeling days.  And thought, "Huh? He was a skinny white dude...there's nothing special about him being shirtless. I see that everyday in my Tampa apartment complex."  Maybe it's because I'm not up to speed on the fashion world, but when you have a British export like David Gandy, I'm perplexed why Dornan was dubbed the Golden Torso.

• Love 1

I like Pitch Perfect and I love Anna Kendrick but I agree about Beca being grating.  If not for Anna's natural charm and self deprecation I probably would have hated Beca rather than just being annoyed with her.  I'm one of those people who would murder my BFF in exchange for free college and I went to a state school that didn't cost very much.  I think the screenwriter went overboard in establishing who Beca was at the start versus who she grew to be at the end.  Sure, I get that the divorce was hard on her and I sympathize but, given that we never met her step-mom and her dad was involved in her life, I have no reason to believe her assessment that he walked out on her for a "step-monster".  We also never saw her mom, shouldn't that be a sign that maybe she was the one who wasn't very involved in Beca's life?  She didn't even take her to college for crying out loud, and yet it's dad and step-mom who are the evil ones?  I do believe we're supposed to believe Beca about her dad walking out on her but the visual storytelling did the opposite. 

Also, is her thing about never watching movies because she can predict all the endings supposed to be an edgy trait?  That just tells me that she doesn't have the attention span necessary to sit down for two hours.  And I call bullshit on her predicting Vader reveal in Star Wars.  Yes, she's right on the meaning of the word in Holland/Germany (Google tells me it's spelled the same for the Dutch while pronounced very similarly for the Germans) but, given that she grew up in a generation that would know that twist years before even seeing the movie, I think she just absorbed the reveal from other sources and then "predicted" the twist without realizing that she already knew it.  Oh, and she never actually speaks German in the movie (not that she really has an opportunity), so I think she just looked up what Darth Vader actually means, realized that it did connect to the twist that she "predicted" and then just makes it seem like she already knew the meaning when she tells people that she guessed correctly. 

I did like that the big reason she wasn't in LA at that moment pursuing a career in music was because her dad wouldn't pay for it.  That did amuse me.  She got free college tuition, had seemingly expensive music related equipment, and got what looked like a plum job at the campus radio station.  Yet she complained because she couldn't go to LA and begin the career she'd planned.  But, she didn't want to be a singer or songwriter.  I'd disagree that she should forgo college if that's the case (writing and vocal teachers are found on campuses across the country who can help improve those talents and may very well have the connections needed to get into the audition), but I'd at least understand the mentality.  Instead, she said something about wanting to be a DJ and, if memory serves, a producer down the line.  I don't know about DJ but I know that music producers tend to have college degrees.  Maybe it's in business or maybe in something else, but they have them.  The producers who get the job without one are usually fortunate enough to have connections that allow them to showcase their talents.  Beca was very naïve to think that she could eventually be a producer without the same level of education that a lot of her competitors would have. 

I did like the character by the end and I'm looking forward to the sequel but the beginning characterization was worthy of many eyerolls.

• Love 1

I think this may have been the only college-set movie I've ever seen where not a single class is mentioned/shown...

I forgot to mention that in my last post. I recall there was a reference to her missing a class but that's about it.

Edited by Brandi Maxxxx

Yup. He was more attractive than the average bear, but not swoon worthy in my book. I liked some of his movies but was never blown away by him in them.

The only movies of his that I truly enjoy and will watch any time of day are Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting.

• Love 3

The only movies of his that I truly enjoy and will watch any time of day are Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting.

I recently rewatched All the President's Men and loved it still. Redford was very good in it, and I don't think he ever looked better than he did in that film.

• Love 2
Not sure if this is considered a UO, but I have zero interest in 50 Shades of Grey.  I don't find either of the starts to be attractive at all, and the commercials make me laugh at loud at how bad the dialogue is and how monotone his delivery is.

I thought it was just me.  I have zero interest either, and it's mainly because I don't find either one to be attractive or appealing.  If you're going to do a supposedly sexy, erotic movie, seems to me you'd cast people with some sex appeal.

I might have been more inclined to see the movie (even if from the promos it looks stupid) if Charlie Hunnam had been cast.  Offhand I can't think of an innocent-looking, sexy female but I'm sure someone out there would have been better than Dakota Johnson.

• Love 1

I thought it was just me. I have zero interest either, and it's mainly because I don't find either one to be attractive or appealing. If you're going to do a supposedly sexy, erotic movie, seems to me you'd cast people with some sex appeal.

I might have been more inclined to see the movie (even if from the promos it looks stupid) if Charlie Hunnam had been cast. Offhand I can't think of an innocent-looking, sexy female but I'm sure someone out there would have been better than Dakota Johnson.

Ooooo. Should've gotten Alexis Bledel.

How exactly did Magic Mike get enough attention to warrant a sequel?  I watched it last night (most of it-I still have a half hour left), and granted, it was edited, but the acting, story and dialogue were so bad.  Mind numbingly boring.  Even the dance scenes weren't enough to keep me interested.  I kept watching because there was nothing else on and I was in bed, not able to fall asleep, so I just kept zipping through it.   Now, I will say that Channing Tatum is a surprisingly good dancer and I couldn't help but think that the guys must have had a great time filming it (that scene in the gym when Matthew McCounaghy was teaching "the kid" how to dance?  I wonder how many takes that took because I can't imagine them keeping straight faces during the first few takes), but neither of those things kept me interested either.

• Love 1

I liked Magic Mike and am looking forward to the sequel.  I can't help it.  I like looking at hot male bodies, even if they aren't the greatest actors, lol.  The only thing I didn't like in the first one was the lead actress.  I had never seen her before and I thought she was a downer.  I really hope she's not in the sequel.

• Love 1

am the only one who doesn't find Chris Hemsworth handsome? Or any of the Hemsworths, really. I like CH and obviously he's very fit, but facially? Eh.

His face just screams "dumb jock" to me. I have no idea what his actual intelligence level is, but that's my visceral reaction to his face. Like others have mentioned, I much prefer guys who look like they read for pleasure. That's probably why I never got the appeal of Thor. He not only looks dumb, but acts dumb and is arrogant to boot. If Loki wasn't evil, I think he would have made a much better heir.

random UO

Pretty in Pink I never thought Ducky was gay.

Bridge Jones diary Never felt she truly loved Colin's character.  Believe she was still hang up on Hugh Grant's character

Evita  Madonna was good in this movie

Back to the Future will never not be a good fun movie

Still like Forest Gump

• Love 2

Not sure if this is considered a UO, but I have zero interest in 50 Shades of Grey.  I don't find either of the starts to be attractive at all, and the commercials make me laugh at loud at how bad the dialogue is

I happened to be listening to an interview on the radio.  The host was talking about the film and a fellow called in claiming he'd read the book.  He said it was so bad, it read like a book written by 6th graders who were told to try to write a potboiler! 

I thought the original "Hot Tub Time Machine" was a colossal piece of shit, without even any "so bad it's good" qualities to justify its undeserved status as a "cult movie."    It saddens me that the state of the film industry is so degraded today and so fearful of fresh ideas that they had to go ahead make "Hot Tub Time Machine 2." 

• Love 2

So I finally saw Welcome to the Rileys, and to my utter amazement Kristen Stewart was pretty decent in it. Of course it helped that she had James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo to play off of, but she was present and engaged and even looked like she wanted to be there. I was legit stunned.

• Love 1

I really liked Welcome to the Rileys

I also love Say Anything with James Gandolfini. No one I've watched it with liked it. But, I've seen it about 10 times. It's just a really comfortable movie for me. I guess it gives the emotions/feel I always have, if that makes any sense. My favorite part was when the main character's daughter's friend's mom calls her a lesbian. The facial expressions are so genuine. Just fabulous acting.

I also love Say Anything with James Gandolfini. No one I've watched it with liked it. But, I've seen it about 10 times. It's just a really comfortable movie for me. I guess it gives the emotions/feel I always have, if that makes any sense. My favorite part was when the main character's daughter's friend's mom calls her a lesbian. The facial expressions are so genuine. Just fabulous acting.

I think you mean Enough Said. (Say Anything was the 80's teen romance with John Cusack serenading with the boom box.) But I enjoyed it too, and I don't normally care for rom-coms. It was pleasant to see Gandolfini play a gentle soul after so many years of tough-guy roles. 

I think you mean Enough Said. (Say Anything was the 80's teen romance with John Cusack serenading with the boom box.) But I enjoyed it too, and I don't normally care for rom-coms. It was pleasant to see Gandolfini play a gentle soul after so many years of tough-guy roles.

Yes, thank you! I always do that. It's great to hear someone else saw it as endearing. I guess some people don't like that it's depressing.

I find Aidan Quinn wiped Brad Pitt off the screen in "Legends of the Fall" in all categories.    This was suppose to be swoon worthy romantic lead role for Brad Pitt, and yet the more compelling actor/character was Aidan Quinn's.  Brad is OK, but as an actor I find him serviceable and as a hot leading man I've always been meh about him.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

So I finally saw Welcome to the Rileys, and to my utter amazement Kristen Stewart was pretty decent in it. Of course it helped that she had James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo to play off of, but she was present and engaged and even looked like she wanted to be there. I was legit stunned.

I have to say - and this might be an UO in an of itself - that outside of the Twilight films, I think Kristen Stewart is a good actress.  

I find Aidan Quinn wiped Brad Pitt off the screen in "Legends of the Fall" in all categories.    This was suppose to be swoon worthy romantic lead role for Brad Pitt, and yet the more compelling actor/character was Aidan Quinn's.  Brad is OK, but as an actor I find him serviceable and as a hot leading man I've always been meh about him.

Here's the weird thing: Aidan Quinn doesn't have that charismatic "pop" that's essential for leading men, and he tends to get cast as real stiff-necks… but damned if there isn't something about him I can't take my eyes off of! I don't know what it is, maybe it's the stolid dependability he emanates. That, or those pretty blue eyes (I'm a sucker for nice eyes)...

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7

YES! I've been saying this for years.  I was all about the Quinn in that movie.  But then, I tend to prefer stalwart characters in real life and film.  I was into tortured souls/bad boys as a teenager/early 20s adult, but I got over it.

As for Brad himself, I've never understood the appeal.         

• Love 4

Amen.  Met them in a bar in Calgary while they were filming it and Aidan Quinn was a million times better looking than bad-skin Brad Pitt.  Sorry, but Brad Pitt hasn't done it for me since...

• Love 3

Ha, I liked Aidan Quinn in Legends of the Fall.

Susanne (what that her name?) was too dumb to realize Tristan was not the better man.

Anyone here see the thriller Blink, where Quinn strips while dancing in a bar?

One of my favorite intros to a movie.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1

Brad is OK, but as an actor I find him serviceable and as a hot leading man I've always been meh about him.

I think Brad is at his best when he gets to play a character like in Inglorious Basterds or Snatch.

• Love 1

I don't care what anybody says about Brad--bad skin, not a good actor, etc.--to each his own.  All I can say is, he was teh hotness in Troy.  I watch that movie every time it comes on, just to see him.  He does it for me.  (Eric Bana wasn't hard on the eyes either.) 

• Love 3

Here's the weird thing: Aidan Quinn doesn't have that charismatic "pop" that's essential for leading men, and he tends to get cast as real stiff-necks… but damned if there isn't something about him I can't take my eyes off of! I don't know what it is, maybe it's the stolid dependability he emanates. That, or those pretty blue eyes (I'm a sucker for nice eyes)...

I remember him in Practical Magic. He had one blue eye and one green...was that just a conceit for the movie? Because if BOTH of his eyes are blue, then...well...that's just not fair. :)

I remember him in Practical Magic. He had one blue eye and one green...was that just a conceit for the movie? Because if BOTH of his eyes are blue, then...well...that's just not fair. :)

I think that was just for the movie, because I remember him having the most amazing blue eyes ever, and I think I'd remember if one was green.  Someone wrote upthread that Aidan doesn't have the 'pop' that's necessary for a leading man, and I respectfully disagree.  He oozes charmisa.  And that voice... and those eyes....  *sigh*

• Love 3

I am not interested in the Marvel Universe.

I may have been interested at one point, but right now I'm just tired of the Marvel Universe. It just seems to be everywhere. And it wouldn't be bad if it was something different every year (like Black Panther which is coming out sometime soon) but I'm getting so tired of seeing movies for the same characters. Three for Iron Man, three for Captain America, three for Thor, three (separate) for Spider-Man. God knows there are enough characters to do separate movies. Why waste them all on the same people?

And speaking of which, I like Spider-Man. I liked the first 2 Spider-Man movies. Tobey McGuire was fine. Kirsten Dunst could have been better. I didn't see why it needed the first reboot, and I really don't see why it needs a second (except for money).

Right now I really only enjoy reading about these movies because I'm always curious on what classic modern actor they pick for the newest one (Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, Glenn Close, Michael Douglas, etc.) but other than that? Meh on all of it.

• Love 1
This is the UPO thread, so I think not finding Brad Pitt hot fits the bill.

Oh I'm well aware of that and I can certainly understand UO's about him.  I just had visions of Brad in Troy, that's all. :)

Martin Scorsese's Hugo is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it, or any of Scorsese's other movies (not into gangster films), but the one Scorsese movie I did see was The Age of Innocence, which was the most boring film I've ever had the misfortune of watching.  I was so bored it became painful to remain sitting in the theater.  Turns out, the friend I was with (who is a fan of Scorsese's other work) felt exactly the same; if only one of us had had the guts to say it to the other during the film, we could've spared ourselves at least a portion of that torture.

It's a popular opinion arrived at via unpopular route, but as a lifelong comics nerd who's mostly been frustrated by poor adaptations, I am more than thrilled that Marvel is making movies which both get the adventurous spirit of the source material right and are a huge hit with the masses. It feels great for the shoe to be on the other foot for people who once pointed and laughed at the silly kids' movies while touting the virtues of "adult" fare like movies about football and police engaging in car chases. Don't recall any of those making half a billion dollars lately.

• Love 8