Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I love the soundtracks to both movies, but I actually prefer Flashdance as a movie to Dirty Dancing. I know a lot of people dismiss it as dumb, but for some reason I really liked it and enjoyed watching it. Outside of the music, Dirty Dancing does NOTHING for me. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UYI said:

I love the soundtracks to both movies, but I actually prefer Flashdance as a movie to Dirty Dancing. I know a lot of people dismiss it as dumb, but for some reason I really liked it and enjoyed watching it. Outside of the music, Dirty Dancing does NOTHING for me. 

Hey, Flashdance is in my top 10 of favorite happy endings. I sometimes think I mostly like Dirty Dancing for its, well, dancing, its soundtrack, and the late Jerry Orbach (damn, I still miss him after all these years).

• Love 3

I love superhero movies and welcome more. My UO is that I don't really like Batman much. I don't hate him, and I watched the Nolan trilogy back in the day but I'm not interested in seeing anything else with him as the main character. I much prefer Superman. I wasn't jazzed at all about BvS (among other reasons) because he was going to be in it. 

• Love 3
On 8/22/2016 at 4:05 AM, NutMeg said:

I'm with you there, except that I fear I have amended my viewing habits to 1-3 times a YEAR - my teenage, twenty and thirty something selves would have been horrified that that was in their future!!! For me, I just cut down a lot of movie going when I moved to a city that had plenty of "alternative" (maybe that's what not-Hollywood is called?) movies and movie theaters to one that was showing mostly blockbusters. I think I cold went from 20+ movies a year to on average probably less than a year. 

Still, for people with no means living in a first world country priding itself of offering cultural venues, as I was for years, there are hopefully still wonderful State- (in Europe) or charity- (in the US) funded places where you can watch for a very small price (mostly, but not always) old movies for a ridiculously low price. Sure, the seating is not always comfy, and there's no popcorn, but that's how I caught up on before-my-time movies such as Hitchcock and al. developed a cinematographic culture. Please, tell me those still exist where you live!!  

I'm at the 1-3 times a year point myself.   I remember seeing Batman vs. Superman at a theater but beyond that I can't recall any of the others.   I think it might have been that Avengers movie with Ben Kingsley.

We don't have any cultural theaters here.  Or second run theaters.   You either see it for $17 or (I was going to say see it on Netflix but Netflix isn't about movies anymore) get it from Redbox.  I probably would have seen the new Star Trek movie but Simon Pegg, gay Sulu and the Beastie Boys turned me off completely.

Edited by millennium
On 8/21/2016 at 11:34 PM, NutMeg said:

So, another UO of mine is that I couldn't care less about personal lives of actors, directors, etc. If they deliver quality, I'm in. I won't blacklist Woody Allen or Polanski because of their real world issues

I'm the opposite.  It's one thing for actors/celebs to have affairs,  or partake in garden variety "bad behavior", but there are certain lines that should never be crossed IMO.  I choose to not spend money on films directly associated with known pedophiles or outright criminals.   In a sense, one is sanctioning their bad behavior because they are being rewarded in the form of box office receipts which are used in part to justify their employment in the business.

Have either Allen or Polanski been relevant in the US since their respective scandals?  

• Love 6

The only parts of Trainwreck that I liked and/or found funny were the LeBron James scenes.  I found a compilation of only his scenes online; it's the best version of the movie out there. 

• Love 4

Have either Allen or Polanski been relevant in the US since their respective scandals?

Polanski won an Oscar for The Pianist, and both he and Woody Allen had released films for which a lead actor/actress have won Oscars.  Plus, Allen's most recent film is apparently doing well at the box office for an art film.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2016 at 8:41 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

My unpopular opinion is that even at today's prices i think movies are a great deal. $14 for up to 3 hours of entertainment?  Where else can you go and get that. Even a meal at a decent sit down restaurant or pub is going to be more, and if you have a beer forget about it. I don't see as many movies as i used to now but that is more about finding the time.

I might see 1 movie a year. But the big reason that killed my interest in movie theaters are parents bringing young children to a movie that is not a kids movie. 

• Love 5

I didn't like When Harry Met Sally all that much. It has its moments (the older people talking about how they met is cute) but it's not a classic. It still confuses me how Harry and Sally even became friends in the first place, given how different they were; normally chemistry would fill in the blanks but they didn't have any.

Amy Adams in general hasn't worked for me more than she has but she really, really didn't work for me in Enchanted. Her squeaky voice just...ech. I know a lot of people found her charming but I could just feel her eagerness.

Apparently it's some kind of cherished classic along older men but I hate The Hunt for Red October. I was forced to watch that (and Lonesome fucking Dove) over and over and over again when I was a kid. By about the fourth forced viewing I was rooting for the Soviets to sink that damn sub.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, slf said:

Apparently it's some kind of cherished classic along older men but I hate The Hunt for Red October. I was forced to watch that (and Lonesome fucking Dove) over and over and over again when I was a kid. By about the fourth forced viewing I was rooting for the Soviets to sink that damn sub.

I'm curious about how and why you were "forced" to watch those things over and over. Did you have a relative who was a big fan? 

On 8/26/2016 at 7:27 PM, slf said:

I will always at least appreciate The Hunt For Red October for the ridiculousness of Scottish Sean Connery playing a Russian submarine commander. Then again, he also played a Spaniard in Highlander, so there you go.

I am also curious about being "forced"  to watch either Hunt or Lonesome Dove. I take it you're not a fan of the books either?

19 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm curious about how and why you were "forced" to watch those things over and over. Did you have a relative who was a big fan? 

We all lived with my maternal grandparents when I was a child due to my mother's cancer. My grandfather loved THfRO and LD and would watch them over and over. It was either play outside in the brutal Texas heat with my sisters (whom I hated) or sit inside and eat ice cream and watch tv with grandpa. As much as I hate THfRO and LD they were the lesser of two evils. But still. Maybe if I hadn't seen either more than a dozen times in the span of three months I'd like them more but alas. It's like how my mom would a l w a y s watch Apollo 13. Cannot bring myself to watch it now.

13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I will always at least appreciate The Hunt For Red October for the ridiculousness of Scottish Sean Connery playing a Russian submarine commander. Then again, he also played a Spaniard in Highlander, so there you go.

I am also curious about being "forced"  to watch either Hunt or Lonesome Dove. I take it you're not a fan of the books either?

I can do a great Sean Connery impersonation now, to be sure. I haven't read the books; would I enjoy them more than the adaptations?

23 hours ago, slf said:

I can do a great Sean Connery impersonation now, to be sure. I haven't read the books; would I enjoy them more than the adaptations?

I really enjoyed the book Lonesome Dove, but it depends on your taste for wordiness. Larry McMurtry's novels tend to be very description-heavy, but he makes up for that with the vividness of the pictures it paints. I haven't read anything by Tom Clancy in a while, but I recall enjoying Hunt the last time I picked it up.

• Love 1
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 0:21 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I will always at least appreciate The Hunt For Red October for the ridiculousness of Scottish Sean Connery playing a Russian submarine commander.

Still not quite as silly as John Wayne playing Genghis Khan.

• Love 3
On 28/08/2016 at 3:21 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Connery as the Scottish accented Russian is funny, but i think i would take that over Connery trying to do a Russian accent.

• Love 5

My UO is that I don't mind if actors crap on previous movies they did. Every actor has to start somewhere, or did an awful movie for the money, or simply didn't like what they did, and you know what? I greatly prefer their candor to making mealy-mouthing sound bites about the issue for fear of offending someone. I don't think actors are latently insulting fans of the offending movie by not liking it. For instance, some people were offended when Renee Zellweger bad-mouthed Empire Records. Hey, it's a free country, and if she doesn't like it, well then, that's her prerogative. Liv Tyler didn't like it either, by the by. 

And I guess my barely-related UO is that I hate Empire Records, too, because to me,no one in that movie has two brain cells to tap together (for example, how come that kid got arrested for stealing a couple of CDs, but Lucas embezzled and lost thousands of dollars and suffered no consequences?!?!?!).

• Love 1
On 8/14/2016 at 8:42 PM, kiddo82 said:

Serious question.  Do Rotten Tomatoes scores really make a huge impact?  I guess my UO is that I don't pay very much attention to aggregate reviews.  I think the word of mouth is a bigger deal for smaller films, films I might not have heard of, or films I otherwise might not be inclined to see.  However, does it move the needle significantly for the bigger budget popcorn movies or the ones with big names attached?  There are movies I will see no matter what and movies I will not see no matter what.  I suppose in the big picture it is important for box office retention or growth for the limited release films but, and strictly using myself as the sample size, it's not a huge factor.  

I think that Rotten Tomatoes has replaced word of mouth for the smaller films and the Oscar bait films. Since they would lose the opening week's screens before word of mouth can be generated. With the genre franchises the word of mouth gets out long before sanctioned  reviewers are lifted from any embargo. And with Siskel and Ebert gone to the other side  the Tomatoes has just replaced two thumps up more important than any reviewer from a namd newspaper which comes with it the prejudice that the review will be effected by political bias of the publisher

23 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My UO is that I don't mind if actors crap on previous movies they did. Every actor has to start somewhere, or did an awful movie for the money, or simply didn't like what they did, and you know what? I greatly prefer their candor to making mealy-mouthing sound bites about the issue for fear of offending someone. I don't think actors are latently insulting fans of the offending movie by not liking it. For instance, some people were offended when Renee Zellweger bad-mouthed Empire Records. Hey, it's a free country, and if she doesn't like it, well then, that's her prerogative. Liv Tyler didn't like it either, by the by. 

Agreed. I remember someone posting (was it you?) that Zellweger regretted Empire Records, which I have fond memories of, and I was like "noooooooooo". But I don't see the point in actually getting offended by it. When I first saw that movie I was young, (easily) impressed by the soundtrack, and bitten hard by a crush on Liv Tyler (complicated by the fact that I also wanted to look like Liv Tyler). So while that movie makes me nostalgic I can appreciate that it represents something else for Zellweger. Maybe she took the job for experience or money, maybe she hates her performance in it, thinks the movie is mediocre, or is put-off by something in the film. Her feelings don't lessen the movie for me and she is entitled to feel however she wants. 

Though I do think actors can get away with this (to a degree) whereas actresses rarely can.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, UYI said:

In his defense, Wayne later publicly said he regretted taking the role. 

Wasn't that the movie where he and the other actors got dusted with fallout from nuclear testing? I'd regret working on it, too...

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Wasn't that the movie where he and the other actors got dusted with fallout from nuclear testing? I'd regret working on it, too...

Yes. But I think he had already been diagnosed with lung cancer by the time he made the movie. He himself never blamed the movie much for his cancer (although it probably made it worse), but almost entirely on his smoking habit. 

• Love 1

Yes. But I think he had already been diagnosed with lung cancer by the time he made the movie.

The movie was made in 1956 and he was diagnosed with cancer in 1964. He always blamed his smoking habit (6 packs a day!) for it.

Not only was the site dusted with radiation, the studio hauled back a lot of sand from the site to finish filming. Of the 220 people who worked on the set, 91 got cancer. Statistically, that is higher than it should be (around 30).

Nevertheless, that role was regrettable all on its own. John Wayne as Ghengis Khan? Why didn't anybody say something?

I don't mind actors dissing movies, but I think they should at least wait until after it has been released. There are other people who are working on the movie who might like it to be a success. I remember when Brando went to town on "The Freshman". He said many uncomplimentary things about it and predicted it would be a flop prior to its release.

• Love 1

I don't mind an actor dissing a movie, but it does bother me if an actor is famous for a particular role and then disses the fans for loving that character.  And yes, I've heard stories of that happening.  I almost had a personal experience with it:

I discovered that my husband's best friend's fiance was really good friends with Lisa Blount, from An Officer and a Gentleman. That movie is very special to me and I was so excited to hear that she was going to be at their wedding.  When we were in a group talking, and, as I was working up the courage to say something, the conversation turned to actors who get annoyed for being known for one specific role.  Lisa said that she understood that feeling and my husband smiled and said "An Officer and a Gentleman"?,  to which she pointed at him, rolled her eyes and said "Exactly!  I mean, Christ, I have done other things, you know....."  Yikes!  Thank God, I heard that first.  I don't know if she'd have been outwardly rude to me (because she seemed nice otherwise), but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.  Now, I can still watch the movie without any negative connotations.

• Love 2
On 9/5/2016 at 9:05 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I agree, though I don't have a problem with an actor criticizing relatively recent or current projects, either.  Sometimes, you sign up for one kind of film, and it turns out to be another.  Actors don't have much control over that.  Example: Daniel Craig took heat for some of his Bond comments.  But given what Spectre was, I can't blame him.  I'm sure he's been well-compensated, but Sony/MGM has made an absurd amount of money off his portrayal as well. I'm okay with him being over the character. There are aspects of my job that I find utterly frustrating and counter-productive, but don't feel comfortable speaking out about. Maybe I live vicariously through the brutually honest in that regard.   

6 hours ago, slf said:

Though I do think actors can get away with this (to a degree) whereas actresses rarely can.

Yes, good point.        

Another UPO:  Beyond the lackluster title, I thought Quantum of Solace was overall a better film than Spectre. 

• Love 2

When we were in a group talking, and, as I was working up the courage to say something, the conversation turned to actors who get annoyed for being known for one specific role.

It must have been hard not to retort that the problem isn't the fans...the problem is that the actors have only done one thing people remember. At least they did one thing people remember - some never do anything. UO? I have zero sympathy for this complaint.

I had no idea who you were talking about, so I googled her to see if I recognize her...all her obituaries led with the fact that she was in "An Officer and a Gentleman".

• Love 4

This has become an unpopular opinion: I liked Jimmy Kimmel as host of the Emmys and laughed at most of his jokes. Humor is, by nature, subjective. Not everyone is going to find a particular comedian funny. For example, as beloved as they are as hosts, not everyone likes Tina Fey/Amy Poehler or Billy Crystal. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, topanga said:

This has become an unpopular opinion: I liked Jimmy Kimmel as host of the Emmys and laughed at most of his jokes. Humor is, by nature, subjective. Not everyone is going to find a particular comedian funny. For example, as beloved as they are as hosts, not everyone likes Tina Fey/Amy Poehler or Billy Crystal. 

I just realized I posted this in the Unpopular Opinions thread for movies, not TV. Oops. 

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, UYI said:

I agree- and the historian in me cringed at how the DD folks barely even attempted to pretend to dress or perform music from the supposed timeframe just two decades before the movie's release. Hello, if George Lucas could somehow convince a large number of performers smack in the counterculture when American Graffiti was produced to somehow trim up to look like and play music like they walked out of Wally Cleaver's soda shop , how tough would it have been to find performers in the 80's to do the same re the early 1960's? It annoyed me enough to be able to shrug off  Jennifer Beal's character in Flashdance being able to live  solo in a loft the size of a Borough when she was a welder aspiring to be a ballerina.

• Love 3

Sometimes, rewatching a film I enjoyed years ago doesn't serve me well.  I recently watched the first two Bridget Jones' films, and Bridget is considerably more insufferable and desperate than I remembered.  And to be even more unpopular, I wasn't much of a Darcy fan.  Not I think Bridget should have ended up with Hugh Grant's character, but Darcy was quite rude before the "I like you just as you are" moment, and it wasn't enough to get me to root for them the way I did all those years ago. There's socially awkward, and then there's just being an ass, and Darcy was firmly the latter for a significant part of the film.  I haven't seen the third one, but they aren't remotely compatible.   

• Love 2

I tried to watch Training Day yesterday and got bored with it, so I started doing other things while it was on as background. There were a few scenes that caught my attention that had me saying "That must have won him the award/nomination", but mostly I just couldn't sit through it.  Then, last night, I watched London has Fallen and was able to enjoy the whole thing. 

So, my unpopular opinion is:  As much as I enjoy Oscar worthy films, when it comes to action-adventure, I much prefer the over the top, ridiculous ones.  Not that there aren't exceptions.  I have enjoyed more serious action-adventures and I will still continue to go see them if they look interesting (I have The Accountant on my list this year), but, for the most part, I like my Oscar worthy films to be dramatic/romantic (hopefully with some light and comedy in them--but it's not necessary) and want my action adventures to be really wild.

• Love 8

This is wholly unpopular, because I just discovered that I can separate the actor from the man himself.  Though I didn't watch a single movie of his, or the ones I already had when he went Cocoa for Cocoa Puffs CRAZY and revealed himself for the person he is.  Mel Gibson.

Some duplication here, as I also posted this in the Television thread, because of the show based on the Lethal Weapon movie.

Ahem.

So, I watched the premiere of Lethal Weapon and was so not impressed. Not that I expected it to be just like the movie it is based on/inspired by, etc., etc. Then I decided to watch the movies. Yes, I still have the dvds of all four Lethal Weapons because they are good movies. Well, the last one, not so much. The gravitas of what we saw in the first, pretty much gone.

BUT, here's my unpopular opinion: Clayne Crawford, who is playing the tv version of Martin Riggs, just doesn't have the charisma, sexiness, humor, sexiness that Mel Gibson's Martin Riggs did.  Even the suicidal "crazy" he portrayed where I, as a viewer, wasn't entirely sure if he was crazy or not. He definitely convinced me he was suicidal.

I was prepared to not be able to separate Mel the person from the actor, but after several years of self-banning, I discovered that I can, and I enjoy these movies. And really the fourth one was just not necessary. One of the things I hated was how they turned the character of Mary Ellen Trainor, whose character was a serious police psychiatrist, into a joke by the last film. Disappointing, that. Yes, Captain Murphy dismissed her, Riggs mocked her, because she pegged him, and Murtaugh, at least in the first movie, believed her.

It's too damned bad about Gibson, because he was (can't speak to his current projects) was a very good actor. Able to do comedy, drama, and even bring gravitas to a character that really ended up being a funny guy, if that makes sense.

• Love 2

GH Scorpio,

I have to admit I'd be tempted to do the same were it not for the fact that X amount of my monies would go to help support someone whose activities I disliked.  To each their own, though.

On 9/26/2016 at 3:54 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is wholly unpopular, because I just discovered that I can separate the actor from the man himself.  Though I didn't watch a single movie of his, or the ones I already had when he went Cocoa for Cocoa Puffs CRAZY and revealed himself for the person he is.  Mel Gibson.

I've not seen Mel's earlier films in a long time, so can't speak to him, but I agree with the overall sentiment.  If I enjoyed someone's film before I found out about their...issues, I can still enjoy it AND have no interest in their current/future projects.  

• Love 2

Don't feel bad; as I've stated before, I can still love The Adventures of Robin Hood knowing full well what an utterly shitty human being Errol Flynn was. Oh, boy, was he a bastard... but, damn it all, he's the greatest Robin Hood ever, so I'm willing to compartmentalize!

It's certainly a help that he's been dead for over 50 years, too.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I've not seen Mel's earlier films in a long time, so can't speak to him, but I agree with the overall sentiment.  If I enjoyed someone's film before I found out about their...issues, I can still enjoy it AND have no interest in their current/future projects.  

Mel was terrific in his films with Peter Weir (Gallipoli and The Year of Living Dangerously) and the Road Warrior films with George Miller.  He was also excellent in The Bounty, although that film in general was a bit uneven, and the first Lethal Weapon one.  I can still watch those even though I know what a piece of shit he is as a person because, like you, I saw the movies first.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Mel was terrific in his films with Peter Weir (Gallipoli and The Year of Living Dangerously) and the Road Warrior films with George Miller.  He was also excellent in The Bounty, although that film in general was a bit uneven, and the first Lethal Weapon one.  I can still watch those even though I know what a piece of shit he is as a person because, like you, I saw the movies first.

I think it's important to differentiate between the art and the artist.   Many of our great painters, composers, actors and other creative minds throughout history were real jerks.   But it doesn't change the fact that they were able to produce masterpieces.

Clint Eastwood, one of my longtime heroes, has lost my admiration after all these years:

Clint Eastwood is calling out the “pussy generation” for being too politically correct, and says anyone offended by Donald Trump’s history of racist remarks should “just fucking get over it.” 

Clint Eastwood Rips ‘Pussy Generation,’ Says He’ll Vote For Donald Trump

There's no sugar-coating or fan-wanking that.   All you can do is walk away.

But it doesn't diminish my love for Fistful of Dollars, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, or The Outlaw Josey Wales, etc.   It shades those films when I watch them now, but only a little. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Don't feel bad; as I've stated before, I can still love The Adventures of Robin Hood knowing full well what an utterly shitty human being Errol Flynn was. Oh, boy, was he a bastard... but, damn it all, he's the greatest Robin Hood ever, so I'm willing to compartmentalize!

It's certainly a help that he's been dead for over 50 years, too.

Yep, the best part about that is that one doesn't have to worry about one's monies going to fund  said celeb's despicable activities/causes. If I survive Mr. Eastwood , Mr. Gibson and a few others  THEN I may start paying money towards their films again but not before after what they've pulled.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Yep, the best part about that is that one doesn't have to worry about one's monies going to fund  said celeb's despicable activities/causes. If I survive Mr. Eastwood , Mr. Gibson and a few others  THEN I may start paying money towards their films again but not before after what they've pulled.

I also feel this way about Roman Polanski. Once he's been dead a few years, then and only then will I finally check out Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown. Until then, he's on my "do not watch" list. 

What right does he have living to such a ripe old age, anyway? At least Errol Flynn had the decency to keel over at 50.

• Love 5
On 9/28/2016 at 0:32 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

This is how I feel about it. When I found out they were a trash bag of a person is the cutoff. I wouldn't watch a new Mel Gibson film but the Lethal Weapon movies were favorites growing up so I might still watch them every now and then. But only on tv- I ain't giving them my money!

On 9/28/2016 at 3:43 PM, millennium said:

Clint Eastwood, one of my longtime heroes, has lost my admiration after all these years:

Clint Eastwood is calling out the “pussy generation” for being too politically correct, and says anyone offended by Donald Trump’s history of racist remarks should “just fucking get over it.” 

Clint Eastwood Rips ‘Pussy Generation,’ Says He’ll Vote For Donald Trump

Clint Eastwood is a racist, misogynistic, good ol' boy who misses the old days. I suspect he has a Confederate flag in his house.

• Love 7

NOT to get political here. However; it needs to be said that Mr. Eastwood came of age during the Depression and WWII and ,whilst those times  definitely had folks who used ethnic slurs right and left with no regard to how others viewed them, even back then these were considered rude words by those who cared if others thought they were being rude and/or ignorant. Moreover, using the p-word describing people instead of cats and using the f-word back then would have risked a male using them in women's presences to get knocked down by other men.  Sad irony is that ,even two decades ago, I could have imagined Mr. Eastwood playing a character who WOULD have punched out another male's lights for using that kind of talk around women.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, slf said:

This is how I feel about it. When I found out they were a trash bag of a person is the cutoff. I wouldn't watch a new Mel Gibson film but the Lethal Weapon movies were favorites growing up so I might still watch them every now and then. But only on tv- I ain't giving them my money!

Clint Eastwood is a racist, misogynistic, good ol' boy who misses the old days. I suspect he has a Confederate flag in his house.

You bring up a point I hadn't considered - how do residuals work with movies shown on TV? If you bought the DVD, that's one and done (which was along the lines of what I was thinking since GHScorpiosrule brought it up in her post). But do the trash bags continue to be paid if their films are shown on TV years or decades later? 

Edited by ribboninthesky1

Yeah. I haven't seen any new movies starring Gibson or made by him since Passion of the Christ. His true nature was revealed shortly after.  And when it did, my first instinct was to sell all the dvds I had, but the price had dropped drastically, to less than a dollar, so not worth it, so I just kept them. I'm not sure how the residuals work. Since I've got the movies on dvd, no need for me to watch on the premium channels or Netflix.

I read somewhere that the older the film, the smaller the actor's residuals get over time.  For example, Gibson gets residuals from the Lethal Weapon franchise, but it's not gonna be a lot of money because the films are over 20 years old.  That makes sense.  It's like going to a store and the older movies are on the $4.99 rack, or $1 .99 on ITunes.  

However, something like the Hangover franchise would bring better residuals for the actors because those movies are more recent.