Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

Derrick came off as sexist to me too. With that being said, "sexist" is subjective and different people have different ideas of what is inappropriate/offensive/uninformed/etc. I freely admit that my views are outside what "the mainstream" considers acceptable/normal. Derrick's views seem to fall within the "normal" range to me, so I just see him as a person who is different from me, not a monster or anything like that.

Exactly. I also think that we, the audience, are "entitled"  to comment on these people because they've put themselves out there for our entertainment and scrutiny. I have my own personal lines I won't cross in terms of what I'm comfortable saying/posting/whatever about them, but I recognize that other people's boundaries are different. It's ridiculous to think you can go on a TV show and have people make only positive judgments/comments about you.

In terms of BB in particular, I think it's fair to judge people on their behavior 24/7 for 3 months. No, it's not the entirety of who they are and they're in a weird environment, etc., etc., but I think even someone as controlled as Derrick can't help but reveal a lot of his true self under these circumstances. Even if their BB personas aren't "real," I don't see how it's unfair to judge them on the behavior they've displayed. What if it turned out that Evel Dick was a kindhearted, mild-mannered librarian in his real life and his persona on the show was just a character he created? Would it be unfair to judge him and hold him responsible for the things he did/said because it was all an act? I don't think so.

ITA except that I've also seen sexist men who do talk poorly of their families. In addition to how Derrick played up his relationships with his wife and daughter, he also talked a lot about his two younger sisters who I think are in their teens/early 20's. The "Good Guy Who Protects and Cares About Women" was a big part of his BB persona, but he always framed it as "If someone did [what's being done to a woman in the house] to one of my women I'd flip out." To me, that's a brand of sexism in itself, being tolerant, even admiring, of other women being treated badly while declaring that you wouldn't allow the women you care about to be treated that way. I also thought that his relationship with Victoria was gross, that he talked about many women in the house with a disparaging tone, etc., etc. With that being said, I understand that other people see that stuff differently.

Nobody's saying to only make positive comments about the HG's, I like Derrick and I've made negative comments about him! Only positive comments are boring and I really do like differing opinions. Honestly, though, I've respected your opinion a lot because even though I haven't agreed with all of your views I understand them. I appreciate that there's a line you won't cross and from what I've seen, even though you have your favorites it doesn't mean you sweep everything they do under the rug and you don't just make negative comments about others just to make them. Sometimes good people do not so nice things and vice versa but there are times when it seems like Derrick's glue while others are teflon in regards to how he gets roasted while others get passes for their behavior.

• Love 1

His participation in/reaction to Frankie's rape joke is always gonna leave a really bad taste in my mouth though, since he's a father to a daughter and a cop, so I expect more from him than a couple of 20-something idiots.

I participated, at length, in the original "rape joke" discussion here (I'll just link to my original posts so I don't have to repeat myself at length ... here you go. Here you go. Here you go.).

Since that conversation, I've watched that clip a bunch more times. You know what? At no point in the span of that clip -- not once -- is the word rape ever used. Go back and watch it sometime and here's what you'll see (I'm paraphrasing, so it's not word for word ... strip out everyone talking over everyone, and this is how the conversation goes):

Someone: "Who's drinking tonight?"

Cody: "Me, Caleb and Victoria."

Christine (to Cody): "Please don't make love to Victoria tonight. You'll be drunk. She's very feisty ..."

That's when Frankie jumps in and makes the crack about Cody and Caleb taking all of Victoria's virginities. I believe Caleb makes a crack about it getting bloody, but Cody says "that is so fucking foul." Derrick makes the crack about if he was Victoria's dad watching right now, he'd be punching the screen. Yes, everyone was laughing, but there is such a thing as uncomfortable laughter which must be accounted for and not counted out 100 percent here.

At that point, a couple of them try steering the conversation away by making jokes about the Zingbot having sex. Yes, probably with Victoria, since that was part of the original joke, but at that point, Victoria was no longer the "joke." The Zingbot was the joke.

Look, I know it was tasteless, but if the original joke that Christine made hadn't been about a virgin but instead had been about a non-virgin (let's say one of the girls in Big Brother history who actually HAD sex in the house ... Amanda, Chelsia, April, Chatty Natty, even Rachel, for instance), I doubt people would've gotten as worked up as they did. It just seems more gross because Victoria is a virgin. Doesn't change the nature of the original joke ... people getting drunk and having irresponsible sex. Frankie absolutely took it to a vile place, but I'm not going to paint the other people in the room (especially Cody, Derrick and Christine) with a negative brush because they didn't charge out of the room or throw a fit or defend Victoria's honor when the discussion took a dark turn.

ETA: Sorry, Stinger97 ... was typing this when your last message was posted. Not sure if this was part of your warning, but it still is technically "BB in the Media," since I was referring to the TMZ clip.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 2

Wry is the perfect word to use here.  I don't think Donny's bitter; I think he's just being funny in his own way and pointing out things that relate back to his experience in this house that will make people laugh ... and keep talking.

How would anybody know if he gives Cody money?

And finally, I've read on here how Amanda is hanging out with Frankie and Donny is hanging out with Howie and I probably missed others.  My question is, since these people live all over the country, how do they "hang out" with other HGs, current or previous?  I can't see them jet-setting (or even flying coach) to be together.

I'm enjoying reading about the goings-on after they were released.  Thanks to those of you who are doing the research and posting it here.  Keep it up, please&thankyou!

Edited because the second I posted this, I read the answer to one of my questions, that I've since deleted.  Oopsie!

Amanda and Frankie both live in Boca Raton FL so this makes sense.  The common bond of this show and internet hate would easily drive them together.  

Howie and Donnie may bonded at the after party and hung out then but have gone their separate ways since. 

Look, I know it was tasteless, but if the original joke that Christine made hadn't been about a virgin but instead had been about a non-virgin (let's say one of the girls in Big Brother history who actually HAD sex in the house ... Amanda, Chelsia, April, Chatty Natty, even Rachel, for instance), I doubt people would've gotten as worked up as they did.

I can obviously only speak for myself, but I certainly would've still been angry over it no matter what woman it was about. And I think it's kinda gross if the only reason people found it gross was because it was about a virgin.

Frankie absolutely took it to a vile place, but I'm not going to paint the other people in the room (especially Cody, Derrick and Christine) with a negative brush because they didn't charge out of the room or throw a fit or defend Victoria's honor when the discussion took a dark turn.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I do hold everyone responsible. Of course in the grand scheme of things, this wasn't that big of a deal, but people sitting back and saying nothing/laughing along with rape jokes is what perpetuates the rape culture we live in, so I hold people who do that responsible.

It's the same thing as the racism last season. I hold every person that never did/said a damn thing responsible. They can claim it was game play all they want, but that isn't a good enough excuse for me.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

They said it was sick and disgusting and then said it was uncomfortable. Honestly, it's a strange situation to be in because they were also uncomfortable with Frankie touching them but they put up with it and even laughed about it, maybe they felt their hands were tied, I don't really know. Some people laugh in those situations, it doesn't mean they agree, just that we don't all react the same way. It doesn't mean they thought it was right and they said it was foul right away but Frankie took that like them agreeing and he kept on instead of stopping right away like most people I know would. I think they should have told him in no uncertain terms that that was unacceptable behavior, I was initially disgusted by the laughter but then I thought about how they themselves were dealing with Frankie touching them and not just joking about it so after watching it a few times, the disgust turned into disappointment because that should have been handled better, they could have done more but I still hold Frankie as having 80% of the blame for that but I don't think the others didn't attempt to stop it.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I do hold everyone responsible. Of course in the grand scheme of things, this wasn't that big of a deal, but people sitting back and saying nothing/laughing along with rape jokes is what perpetuates the rape culture we live in, so I hold people who do that responsible.

Again, I remind you:

Christine (to Cody): "Please don't make love to Victoria tonight. You'll be drunk. She's very feisty ..."

The joke: Caleb, Cody and Victoria will be drinking together tonight. The drinking could lead to the three of them ending up in bed together. It was an adult joke about three people having a menage a trois, not rape. There's implied consent there in the context of a hypothetical sexual rendevous. There was no implication that they would be taking Victoria by force, just that alcohol makes people do things they might later regret. When Ross and Rachel ended up in bed in Vegas, I don't think anyone thought Ross raped Rachel. To me, that was Christine's implication with HER joke.

And let's take Frankie out of the equation for a second: Caleb mucked it up with the "it'll be very bloody" crack. I guess that blood immediately equates violence to some people, but that was a joke about Victoria's virginity, not rape. "Virgins bleed" was a schoolyard crack that I heard on the playground when I was 12.

So it become a question of this: What if Christine had said "Please don't make love to Chelsia tonight?" Does the nature of it change because of Victoria's virginity? I suspect it does. So does any of this change if Victoria is actually in the room when these jokes go down?

Edited by Bob Sambob

They all knew that Victoria and her family would be horrified to hear them talking that way about her. Christine would be horrified if people talked that way about her with how ever many people watching on the Internet. None of them would talk that way or laugh about it if the object of the joke was a woman they respected. Personally, I would give Cody the biggest pass because he is immature and doesn't have a strong personality and he at least said it was wrong. Based on the dynamics of the group, I hold Derrick responsible for not shutting it down or at least denouncing the behavior. It wasn't as if he had to put his game at risk or make it a big deal. He could have just said, "Come on, her family could be watching this..." and changed the subject. His joke about how he'd pulverize his computer if someone said that about his daughter contributed to the "frivolity" of the conversation and allowed them all to keep laughing at the hypothetical scenario in which Victoria lost "all her virginities" in a way that they knew she wouldn't consent to. Though the word "rape" wasn't used, it was clear that they were not describing a scenario Victoria would enjoy or agree to, even if she were drunk and it was clear that they knew Victoria would not like them "joking" about her that way.

• Love 4

That's a fair argument and I'll concede on many points without discounting my own. But I stand by my argument. And I thought Derrick did kinda change or sidestep the subject with the Zingbot cracks, just not in the decisive manner you would have liked.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 1

That's a fair argument and I'll concede on many points without discounting my own. But I stand by my argument. And I thought Derrick did kinda change or sidestep the subject with the Zingbot cracks, just not in the decisive manner you would have liked.

Responding in the Derrick thread.

Amanda and Frankie both live in Boca Raton FL so this makes sense.  The common bond of this show and internet hate would easily drive them together.  

Frankie is from Florida, but he lives in NYC - or did before the show anyway. 

• Love 1

Does anyone understand what a meet & greet is (other than the meeting & greeting, I get that much)? I have seen a few people posting links to them, including Caleb who is setting up a "tour". Do they get paid for these things? And who goes to them? The whole concept boggles my mind.

• Love 1

Does anyone understand what a meet & greet is (other than the meeting & greeting, I get that much)? I have seen a few people posting links to them, including Caleb who is setting up a "tour". Do they get paid for these things? And who goes to them? The whole concept boggles my mind.

I can't believe people buy hitmen t-shirts...

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

I know that there is a market for Reality TV show vets to give speeches and have social gatherings afterwards that they get paid for. I seem to recall many a Real World Cast member turning this into a career for themselves after the show ended. I know Real World used to have College Tours. My SIL saw Jenna from Survivor speak at a Mother of Twins Club gathering. I am sure that these things still happen and that it is something that some one who is young can make enough money to live on for a while.

I think fans stand in line to shake hands/hug and have a few words with the "celeb."  There are usually some light/cheap refreshments and a chance to talk to other fans.  They are usually only about an hour.  I don't think money is involved but someone has to host it.  

I can picture those events happening more 14 years when reality tv was more of a phenomenon, or when things like Jersey Shore really become part of the zeitgeist, but I can't imagine anyone paying Cody to host a lecture. Maybe they will be able to host a few local events around their hometowns, but I can't imagine them being to able to live off that for a long time. I think especially Big Brother is hard post show to find work unless you are a breakout star since there are just so many of them; after a season I usually forget everyone's names. I feel like Caleb will become a club promoter and make appearances at bars and just get paid in free drinks.

I think Cody even mentioned he was hosting events back home as some sort of announcer before the show. He seems even too stupid to be a soap opera actor to me though, so I'm interested in what he will end up doing.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

I can picture those events happening more 14 years when reality tv was more of a phenomenon, or when things like Jersey Shore really become part of the zeitgeist, but I can't imagine anyone paying Cody to host a lecture. Maybe they will be able to host a few local events around their hometowns, but I can't imagine them being to able to live off that for a long time. I think especially Big Brother is hard post show to find work unless you are a breakout star since there are just so many of them; after a season I usually forget everyone's names. I feel like Caleb will become a club promoter and make appearances at bars and just get paid in free drinks.I think Cody even mentioned he was hosting events back home as some sort of announcer before the show. He seems even too stupid to be a soap opera actor to me though, so I'm interested in what he will end up doing.

During the two-year post-Game continuing obligation period, does the network/HG contract continue to pay some degree of "on call"-type stipend? I ask because it seems some of the HGs from last season have spent the entire past year on the road, on the reality TV convention / "special appearance" circuit.

I could see a convention (for example) paying some travel and per diem costs for a past HG's appearance, and maybe even a couple hundred bucks or so as an honorarium for a popular HG. I fail to see how that could be enough to pay a year's worth of bills, however, unless the participating HGs had some other form of supplemental income coming in while they're traveling the rubber chicken circuit.

From the link above:

Cody’s Alliance, “THE HITMEN” has been noted as the most amazing duo to ever hit the Big Brother Show

Hahaha at the idea of a Cody speaking engagement.   Maybe Derrick will write the words down for him, with pictures of course. 

• Love 3

I can see paying $50 to see a handful of them discuss the game in detail and take questions.  Probably moreso for an allstar panel, but key players from a season just ending dissecting the season having just caught up with the rest of us.. I might find that interesting.  

It's not like I didn't just spend 32 hours of my life watching them, and further hours here discussing them!

But one player? No.  Maybe Boston Rob or Richard Hatch.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 2

I can see paying $50 to see a handful of them discuss the game in detail and take questions.  Probably moreso for an allstar panel, but key players from a season just ending dissecting the season having just caught up with the rest of us.. I might find that interesting.  

Especially for the Hometown Boy Done Good.

Y'all did catch this was being held in New Jersey, didn't you? :)

Cody’s Alliance, “THE HITMEN” has been noted as the most amazing duo to ever hit the Big Brother Show

Oh man, I can't wait for Cody's stirring performance of "I Got No Strings" from the beloved children's classic, Pinocchio. Maybe now that he's out of the Big Brother house, he can be a real live boy again!

• Love 4

It's not like I didn't just spend 32 hours of my life watching them, and further hours here discussing them!

But one player? No.  Maybe Boston Rob or Richard Hatch.

ITA with everything you say here except for one thing.  Instead of an All-Stars panel, I'd much rather see hamsters from the just-finished season.  I don't have a good memory for seasons past, but could keep up with the conversation if it revolved around those who have only been home a couple of days after 3 months in the house or jury house.  

And yes, I'd happily pay $50 if they were notable houseguests instead of the rejects.  After much thought (excessive & obsessive), this is my take on who I would be interested in enough to actually shell out real money.  Maybe 5 or 6 of them.

Men I'd See ... Derrick, Cody, Caleb, Zach, Donny

Men I'd Maybe See ... Hayden

Men I'd Absolutely Not See ... Frankie, Devin

Women I'd See ... Nicole, Christine, Victoria

Women I'd Not See ... Amber, Brittney, Joey, Pow Pow

Women I'd Absolutely Not See ... Jacosta

I've put way, waaaaaaay too much thought into this.  I'd love to see the info on Caleb's Meet & Greet because he doesn't live all that far from me and I might just make a road trip so I can come back here and report to the forum.  I'll take one for the Gipper and take lots of pictures and maybe get a judy-chop.

Yeah, I need to put the keyboard down and step away from the PC.  Step away. From. The. Television.

• Love 2

There's probably a few disturbed souls willing to pay to meet Cody just in the hope of having sex with him.  Besides that, I have no idea.

Lol peach!  He is pretty. 

slasherboy,  I'd love to hear your report of a Caleb Meet and Greet.  I find him rather entertaining when he's not stalking some girl.  

I did not watch All Stars but it sounds like he found out when they were shooting All Stars. Did he DOR or was he voted out?

ETA: OK, went and looked it up. He DORed on day 6. There is no good way to discover that you are HIV positive but this had to be one of the worst ways. I wonder if he was given the choice to stay or if Production told him he had to go.

Edited by ProfCrash

How does Caleb have time for meet & greets with his shifts from Lowe's?

And his lifestyle of being a personal trainer, nutritionist, poet, Chippendale dancer, salsa dance instructor, dog groomer, scuba diver, model, juggler, gymnast, hunter, horse whispering, paramedic, country singing, hair stylist, clothing line owner, prison guard, bull rider, wrestler, break dancer, snowboarder, swing dance instructor all while the Colts are "looking at him"? When will he be able to rest in his house, which is the biggest house in the county, with movie theaters?

• Love 5

Just read about Evel Dick.  Looking back, it did seem odd that he left his second BB season so abruptly.  Oh well, I never liked him, but I certainly wish him the best of luck facing this.  Based on the People article, his prognosis seems good.  I was relieved to read that his girlfriend tested negative.  

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1

I was surprised to find out this morning about Dick being HIV +, but it makes sense now why he was so cryptic and production invited him back for the finale that year. I'm glad he was able to go public with it on his terms and not have it leaked.

ETA Didn't Dick say after he left something happened to someone close to him?

Edited by choclatechip45

And his lifestyle of being a personal trainer, nutritionist, poet, Chippendale dancer, salsa dance instructor, dog groomer, scuba diver, model, juggler, gymnast, hunter, horse whispering, paramedic, country singing, hair stylist, clothing line owner, prison guard, bull rider, wrestler, break dancer, snowboarder, swing dance instructor all while the Colts are "looking at him"? When will he be able to rest in his house, which is the biggest house in the county, with movie theaters?

Caleb sure has fit a lot in his 26 years.

In all honesty, so long as he wasn't stalking some poor women, I'd love to see him pop up on another reality show.

• Love 2

In all honesty, so long as he wasn't stalking some poor women, I'd love to see him pop up on another reality show.

Maybe he can be the new Jessie and they can bring back Pandora's Box and have the punishments just be the HGs being subjected to listening to his stories.

• Love 5

Lol peach!  He is pretty. 

slasherboy,  I'd love to hear your report of a Caleb Meet and Greet.  I find him rather entertaining when he's not stalking some girl.  

If I can find out about a meet & greet, I'll try my best to go and I promise, will give a VERY detailed account of my adventure.  So if anybody hears about this, please post it here.  Thanks!

• Love 1

Maybe he can be the new Jessie and they can bring back Pandora's Box and have the punishments just be the HGs being subjected to listening to his stories.

Caleb should star in a LifeTime movie called "The Many Lives & Loves of Caleb"

• Love 4

People magazine has published an article that Evel Dick is HIV positive.

http://www.people.com/article/big-brother-winner-dick-donato-hiv-positive?hootPostID=c73480d5a12e2c31d4154cd141f0ab7c

He will be revealing this on the Couples Therapy show.

Wow. Glad to hear his prognosis looks good. That was the first season I watched and always wondered why he left. I remember they said it was a family emergency or something and everyone thought it was weird that his daughter was on the show but wasn't notified. I remember people speculating that nothing had happened and he was never planning on staying all season. Super scary. I can't imagine finding out like that.

If I can find out about a meet & greet, I'll try my best to go and I promise, will give a VERY detailed account of my adventure.  So if anybody hears about this, please post it here.  Thanks!

Well, we know he'll be in Nashville at some point.

Maybe we could ask to be seated in his section...? ;>

• Love 1

Based on the People article, his prognosis seems good.

He was in the city where I live a few months ago and he looked quite fat, so I suppose he's doing fine.

I second the notion of Caleb being the new Jessie of upcoming seasons. Could you imagine opening a Pandora's box to discover that you were going to be trapped in a room with Caleb for twenty-four hours?

I second the notion of Caleb being the new Jessie of upcoming seasons. Could you imagine opening a Pandora's box to discover that you were going to be trapped in a room with Caleb for twenty-four hours?

You haven't been to one of my family reunions. Wouldn't be that much different. :)

• Love 5

I'd take 24 hours in a room with Caleb before Christine or Frankie, and possibly before Cody.  Christine and Frankie would be torture, and Cody would be terminally dull.  I have the feeling I could say "Caleb, tell me a story" and just curl up and drift off to sleep. 

• Love 3

Well, we know he'll be in Nashville at some point.

Maybe we could ask to be seated in his section...? ;>

Oh hell no!  We'll be wearing our Beastmode Cowboy t-shirts so he'll let us backstage.  I'll probably swoon.

• Love 2

I'd take 24 hours in a room with Caleb before Christine or Frankie, and possibly before Cody.  Christine and Frankie would be torture, and Cody would be terminally dull.  I have the feeling I could say "Caleb, tell me a story" and just curl up and drift off to sleep.

KASSA, I'm with you on Caleb except instead of drifting off to sleep, I'd be sitting there with my mouth wide open thinking how I could turn this into a screenplay that I could sell to Hollywood.
  • Love 1

According to TMZ, Christine is saying people are slut shaming her. She's now getting advice from Shelly Moore, from BB 13 to keep her life private and avoid social media.

Because she couldn't figure that out by herself.