Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

Frankie (who apparently was on broadway) talks about how his strategy would have to change if people recognized him. What would people recognize him for? Is he actually famous? Was the broadway role like Tony-worthy?

Frankie's sister, Ariana Grande, is a current pop singer who is extremely popular with the teens.  If Frankie tells everyone his last name, someone will certainly make the connection since most of the HGs are in their 20s.  Brittany has a 12 yr old daughter, so I think she will know the "Grande" name.  Also, Frankie was in "Mama Mia" on Broadway.  I'm guessing he was a background dancer, but the show itself is well known.  That and the fact that he has 500k following on Twitter and maintains a youtube channel, adds to the chance that someone will recognize him. 

IMO his personality is his strength so he'll be a good social player.

Well, I'm not quite sure I'd classify Frankie himself as famous. His sister Ariana certainly is, but him? Maybe one person might recognize him in the house, but I honestly don't think he's famous enough that he'd be recognized. If they heard his sister's name, though, he would. 

(edited)

In this interview

Frankie (who apparently was on broadway) talks about how his strategy would have to change if people recognized him. What would people recognize him for? Is he actually famous? Was the broadway role like Tony-worthy?

Also- he looks completely different than I expected.  And is really annoying.

The name suggests he is Arianna Grande's brother (I know she has one about this age).  Which makes him um... step-famous, I suppose.

EDIT - Yup.  That's who he is.  Unfamous brother of a huge star.

Edited by Kromm
I'd get rid of him first because he looks and sounds obnoxious. I hope the houseguests feel the same way.

I know the producers didn't interfere last season like they did for Rachel/Jordan's season, but I have a feeling they might this year to keep Frankie around, if only for the possible boost in ratings and most likely the boost in voting too, because of Ariana fans. I don't know if they'll definitely do this, but I'm pretty sure it's a possibility, which means unless he loses competitions and can't save himself, nor the producers can, then he'll probably stick around until mid-season/final 5. But yeah, it would be better if he was gotten rid of early on. I mean, I also want to see his game and how he plays because he's a fan too and probably does genuinely want to play, but it's his sister's popularity and his own that worries me. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here (see what I did?) and say I kind of dig the new look of the house.  Yeah, the walls in the living room are kind of busy, but it does give the feel of looking through the tree branches if you were really in a tree house.  I wonder if they'll continue the theme into the back yard, or if it will continue to boringly generic like usual.  I'm also wondering if the builds for the competitions will be likewise themed...

Let me take this opportunity to thank everyone here in advance for contributing to the real-time live feed threads.  I can't subscribe to the live feeds--work and shame interfere--but BB is my guiltiest of guilty pleasures, and I love to compare/contrast your descriptions of the live feeds vs. what is edited for broadcast.  Last season was a hoot with the mid-season course correction once the producers realized the groundswell of disapproval from the live feed viewers and online boards discussions had reached critical mass.  I look forward to your snark, sarcasm, and robust descriptions of the activities in the house.

With the exception of Cody (who wasn't too annoying) having watched an interview of all the cast members, I think Rachel Reilly was the least annoying part of those interviews. This does not bode well for the season.

• Love 1

I can't judge people too harshly over pre-show stuff. I mean, I ended up seriously rooting for Elissa last year and I never would have guessed that coming in. 

However, yeah...CBS definitely has a "type," don't they? 

What I don't get is why they don't seem to be looking for Dr. Will/Dan type of players. Those players end up becoming fan favorites with regularity, and yet they seem to be actively trying to avoid "smarter" players (quotes because it is all relative - except for GinaMarie, of course, she's outright dumb).

• Love 1

Anyone else think they're allowing an unusual amount of third party/outside interviews this time around?  Or did they always and I missed it?

If true, I imagine its to get people back on board after last year's trainwreck.

(edited)

That seems crazy unfair to the second half!

Only in the sense that beds will have already been chosen. Unless a second room in locked until group 2 comes in.  But given that they always send them inside in groups and bed picks happen in that order, it's not much different.

There's also that Group 1 will already be bonded with each other.But if they're really doing some kind of Team concept, that would have happened anyway.  

Far more unfair is someone closely connected to someone else with 16 million twitter followers in what, in large part, is a popularity contest.  Yes, 16 million. I'd actually thought it was 5 mil, and typed that, and then checked and learned the situation was 3 times more unfair than I'd thought!!!

And just in case anyone thinks that doesn't matter consider that Frankie, just through osmosis/being occasionally retweeted/mentioned in Ariana's tweets already has 546,000 followers of his own, even before spending even a single day in the BB house.

I actually have to admit to being amused by this.

If you goto Frankie's twitter now the latest tweets are all by Ariana "pretending" to be him (of course she reveals herself).  I imagine that's going to rocket his number of subscribers even more if she continues to do that.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Any worse than having the MVP with one houseguest starting the game with a built-in fanbase because of her sister? It wouldn't be BBUSA without a blatantly unfair advantage going to someone.  

(edited)

Any worse than having the MVP with one houseguest starting the game with a built-in fanbase because of her sister? It wouldn't be BBUSA without a blatantly unfair advantage going to someone.  

Did Rachel really have 16 million Twitter followers (and an album that went to #1 on the charts last year)?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did Rachel really have 16 million Twitter followers (and an album that went to #1 on the charts last year)?

Nope. Just a fanbase that actually watches the show and I imagine the MVP will end up be majorly more powerful than Team America. So right now I'm willing to classify the MVP as way more of an unfair twist. 

Edited by loki567

We're getting way off topic. This is the Media thread, so unless you're discussing an article, interview, etc., it doesn't belong here. Head on over to the Unspoiled Speculation thread if you'd like to discuss how Frankie's popularity might affect the game. Thanks.

(edited)

That guy is seriously terrifying. It started with his weird interview where he talked about how disappointed he was at not getting to kill people in Iraq and then there was this and now the above.

What the fuck is wrong with TPTB? I am so ashamed that I continue to watch this show.

So much for there not being a racist this season!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
(edited)

That guy is seriously terrifying. It started with his weird interview where he talked about how disappointed he was at not getting to kill people in Iraq and then there was this and now the above.

What the fuck is wrong with TPTB? I am so ashamed that I continue to watch this show.

Wow.  It's like they never heard of Private Detectives. (or have, but just don't care--and actually plan to milk controversy yet again)

I suppose it could be argued there's nothing wrong with hunting, however barbaric seeming the methods, but re: the racist and homophobic stuff on Instagram?  DUDES, if a media outlet found an Instragram account from him, a P.I.hired by you could have.  Meaning you just don't care.  You guys probably knew about this and WANT people to discover it, causing another broughaha, but you'll find some new way to leverage this to get show attention.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I think if he were hunting for food, even with the disgustingly barbaric methods, it might be easier to take (not for me personally, but still), but he just did that for fun. Plus combined with all the other things it's just so gross. Like he is legit scary to me and I haven't felt that way about someone (even last season, though Spencer came close) since Dick.

I feel so ashamed that I continue to give this show ratings because honestly TPTB are just such deplorable people. I actually give these people money since I buy the feeds. Sigh. I promised myself I wouldn't come back after last season, but I have no will power!

• Love 1
(edited)

Latest news is that Judd from last year is unwisely sticking his nose into this (via Twitter).  People naturally are going nuts via Twitter.  Inevitably they're also Tweeting unpleasantness in any direction even vaguely associated with Mr. Pig Stick Killer (so inevitably it's already leaking to the accounts of his family and friends).  Judd says...

"@JUDDNATION: Leave BB houseguest families the **** alone. The ****ing games not even started yet and it is just a game. #BB16"

Admittedly he's fully right saying that families shouldn't be involved, but at the same time he's being a huge moron for setting himself up to be associated with this whole mess.  It will blow up in Judd's face, because even if he doesn't intend for it to come out like a defense of racism, it can be easily twisted that way the moment this yahoo says something on camera to justify it.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Julie will appear on "Let's Make a Deal" tomorrow to advertise for BB16 with a prize.  Jeff  Schroeder will be on "The Talk" tomorrow, and they will discuss tomorrow night's premiere.

One more day to go!!

Edited by Sharon825
It's like they never heard of Private Detectives.​

Shoot, it's like they never heard of Google!

It's really so disappointing.  You'd think that after last year, they would have looked in to the contestants a little more.  Maybe, at least, oh, I don't know - checked their social media accounts??  Although I tend to be cynical, and I think it is entirely possible that CBS/ Grodner like all the attention and press that having a true piece of shit as a contestant gets them.  

• Love 1

This promo is so embarrassing and hilarious. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wkD-mBaiA

This is a preview for the first HOH. So it definitely looks like 8 people moving in tonight and HOH comp and then the rest moving in tomorrow with an HOH comp to give us our 2 HOHs. I feel like after this through there's just no way they're gonna do 2 HOH comps every week. It's just way too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPk_O2kEO6c

Ugh! Why do the people they choose from Texas always have to be so vile??? It's a big state, there are a lot of people to choose from. I'm beginning to think it's deliberate in order to play into the stereotypical redneck-racist-homophobe. Gross.

• Love 3

That commercial though...  Ohhh...

TexasChic, I agree.  They're out to make us look all the same.

Of course, don't y'all know? We don't like anyone different or anyone who doesn't wear cowboy boots. Yee-haw!

• Love 1
(edited)

Of course this could be a setup for someone to try the same racist crap they did last year, and then have a fellow player stand up to them about it. After last year, I've been kind of expecting such a scenario. Whether a setup by TPTB, a contestant doing it because they know the audience would love it, or someone actually saying what they feel, I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 2
Of course this could be a setup for someone to try the same racist crap they did last year, and then have a fellow player stand up to them about it. After last year, I've been kind of expecting such a scenario. Whether a setup by TPTB, a contestant doing it because they know the audience would love it, or someone actually saying what they feel, I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Since people were losing their jobs right and left last summer, it'd be incredibly stupid to spout hate speech again this summer.  Which is why I'm sure someone will do it.  But you're exactly right-- standing up to them is a surefire way to become a fan favorite and the smart players will know there's always "America votes" advantages.

The question for me is CBS' role in all of what's being reported.  These news stories have been out now for well over a week-- it's not like CBS and BB can claim they had a racist contestant "accidentally" already in the house with gameplay already underway.  This has been all over the news, so even if their own background research didn't reveal the things about Caleb, they knew from all these news reports on it-- before Caleb even entered the house (some of the reporting on the Caleb situation even notes that CBS refuses to answer whether they knew about the racist/homophobic comments and the animal abuse video in advance).  They could have easily yanked him and it would have little to no impact on the game since it hadn't even started yet.  But they're not doing that. 

Which to me states pretty unambiguously that CBS and BB want a racist in that house.  And that's, frankly, obscene. If a network is knowingly playing on "hate speech" for controversy and ratings, I don't think that's a network I can support.  Last year, I was frustrated by their lack of action, but gave them the benefit of the doubt that it was a situation beyond their control, since the comments started after gameplay.  This year they don't have that excuse, and there's really no other way of reading the fact of Caleb entering that house than that CBS and BB are knowingly promoting the career of a racist who gleefully filmed his abuse of an animal.  I'll miss BB (I've watched it for years and even subscribed to the feeds) but I really think this is where I have to stop. 

These news stories have been out now for well over a week-- it's not like CBS and BB can claim they had a racist contestant "accidentally" already in the house with gameplay already underway.

That's what makes me suspect it has been engineered by TPTB in order to have it play out with someone standing up to him. 

(edited)

When the commercial seems too camp even for Frankie Grande, you know it's camp. Wow.

This is a preview for the first HOH. So it definitely looks like 8 people moving in tonight and HOH comp and then the rest moving in tomorrow with an HOH comp to give us our 2 HOHs. I feel like after this through there's just no way they're gonna do 2 HOH comps every week. It's just way too much.

Seems to me they're only doing two this week to help mask from Batch #1 of Hamsters than Batch #2 exists.  

There is a BB Kickoff show going on here. It's hosted by Jeff and Andy's there so it's really terrible, but I'm there anyway.

Nice to see Andy there pretending he isn't a horrid little shit.  And delusionally acting like maybe fans love him.  Okay, actually listening to him he actually appears to be doing the opposite.  He's doing the "it was all strategery and that was my plan!" thing.  No talk about the house racism, sexism, etc.--Jeff and Andy must have been given instructions to not go anywhere near that.  Listening to Andy on that pre-show thing... wow, he's got an ego on him, doesn't he?  Then again, he probably needs to so he can feel good about himself. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

That commercial though...  Ohhh...

TexasChic, I agree.  They're out to make us look all the same.

Of course, don't y'all know? We don't like anyone different or anyone who doesn't wear cowboy boots. Yee-haw!

I was so disappointed when I traveled to Texas for work, not one person wore a 10 gallon hat, no one talked like Yosemite Sam, no one referred to something as being "rootin' tootin'", no one called me a "lil' lady",  and I only saw one guy with a giant belt buckle and cowboy boots.  I felt so cheated, especially since I had practiced my Yosemite Sam accent for weeks.  :( 

I'm still bitter over that - I feel like the media bamboozled me for years with stereotypical Texans only to set me up for disappointment when I got there.

I didn't even get to see one horse roaming the range....so unfair.

• Love 4

I'm so sorry, RealityGal! I'd invite you back for a rootin' tootin' good time but I don't know where to find one. ;(

About 15 years ago my friend from high school came to visit from California. Driving home from the airport, we stopped in a little old town to use the bathroom and get a soda. It was November and she got off the plane in shorts thinking it's hot all year round here. The man at the gas station said in the thickest accent ever, "Guuurl, what you thinkin' wearin' dos dangs?" She looked at me like "what in gods green earth did he say?" and all I could say back was, "she's not from around these parts".

• Love 1

I'm so sorry, RealityGal! I'd invite you back for a rootin' tootin' good time but I don't know where to find one. ;(

About 15 years ago my friend from high school came to visit from California. Driving home from the airport, we stopped in a little old town to use the bathroom and get a soda. It was November and she got off the plane in shorts thinking it's hot all year round here. The man at the gas station said in the thickest accent ever, "Guuurl, what you thinkin' wearin' dos dangs?" She looked at me like "what in gods green earth did he say?" and all I could say back was, "she's not from around these parts".

Well, I feel better now that a real Texan has apologized :)  Besides, the BBQ you guys have there more than made up for it.

LOL - I'm from California, and I do stuff like that all the time.  I had a business trip to Chicago in March, and March in California is warm and sunny, and I figured that since it was spring I would just pack all my sleeveless dresses, all my heels, and a light sweater.  I was shocked, shocked I tell you when I saw snow on the ground in Chicago!

I wish I coulda heard that accent, it sounds so neat!  Like talking to Yosemite Sam at the gas station....no one I spoke to in Texas even had an accent.  Apparently, there are tons of transplants, especially in the city so its uncommon to hear an accent.  Boooooooooooo

• Love 1

LOL - I'm from California, and I do stuff like that all the time.  I had a business trip to Chicago in March, and March in California is warm and sunny, and I figured that since it was spring I would just pack all my sleeveless dresses, all my heels, and a light sweater.  I was shocked, shocked I tell you when I saw snow on the ground in Chicago!

Don't want to take this too off topic, but that is hilarious. I actually lived in Northern Cal for 10 years.  And once spent the month of March in Indianapolis and it snowed! Like, not flurries, but SNOWED. So I hear ya!

• Love 1

Rob Cesternino is doing podcasts after every BB episode--the discussion is usually pretty decent.  He gets old houseguests to appear on quite a few of the shows, which can be fun--tonight he has Matt Hoffman, who cracks me up.  He also has Ian Terry tonight, who makes me laugh, but for different reasons--he's gotten pretty laughable, bragging on himself and his BB knowledge.  When he predicts an outcome in the game, you can bet the farm that he'll be dead wrong.

(edited)

Wil Heuser's doing his BB parodies again. He always has at least one character that he just nails, and this year it's Donny.

Seriously, why couldn't we have gotten THIS Wil in season 14 instead of the apathetic "couldn't give a shit" guy who just played with his hair extensions we got?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2