Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

The cars Cody describes as having don't shout "poor house" to me.  He and his family are probably fine financially.

His student loans exceed 50 grand he mentioned on the feeds he has to pay more than $800 a month. For all we know his parents didn't pay for his college. I had a bunch of friends who would brag about their cars come to find out they were leased.

Cody likes to brag. A lot. Like a lot of young guys he likes flashy things, from my understanding based on how he talks, he's more into style than substance hence the cars he has. He got a business degree from a nice expensive school, a job he didn't like and isn't planning on returning to but he got because he felt he should since he has that degree. I'm not saying he won't regret his decision deep down inside but I think he's the kinda guy who's ego won't let him admit it, not to himself or anyone else. He's talking about investing his money, I hope he doesn't get swindled in some get rich quick scheme. He reminds me of those people that win the lottery and end up broke right away TBH. Even though $50k isn't a huge amount of money, it's still more than he had, may he get solid financial advice from a good investor

• Love 1

I find it so odd that a huge majority of the BB16 cast chose not to go to Vegas this weekend, but Donny went?  I assume the parties end by 11pm then.

Who went, I haven't ready anything about this.  

Poking around Instagram it looks like Brittany, Amber, Joey, Jocasta and Donny.  I think it's an old tradition that used to be an actual official event to have a post-BB Vegas Bash weekend, but doesn't seem like anyone was super interested besides the BB Canada crew and a few others (BB15 Judd, Jeremy, McCrae; BB14 Danielle; Howie; probably others I do not recognize)

I find it so odd that a huge majority of the BB16 cast chose not to go to Vegas this weekend, but Donny went?  I assume the parties end by 11pm then.

I think they have more fun in LA.  I know that, in season's past, they have gone to Boogies and Will's bar, Dolce. 

A nice gift does not change the fact Cody can't even pay back all of his student loans. Like I said in a month he will start to regret his decision.

I'm kind of surprised Temple hasn't regretted giving him a degree.  I think that tuition money was  kind of wasted if Cody can't figure out that $50K won't cover $80K in loans.   Or if he needed/wanted the money but decided he wasn't going to let the money determine his decisions in the game - even when it can cost him $450K.  I'm thinking Cody wasn't in it for the money, Cody wanted to be on camera.  And after watching and listening to him all summer, I think that's where he belongs.  With the sound off. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

I'm not surprised considering he wants to do Big Brother again and when he mentioned his girlfriend having been approached to do a reality show that she turned down he said he would talk to her. He's a big reality TV fan and said he's willing to go on another show. The people he partied with are "good" people so maybe he made an exception for them and stayed up while he networked in Vegas.

I'm kind of surprised Temple hasn't regretted giving him a degree.  I think that tuition money was  kind of wasted if Cody can't figure out that $50K won't cover $80K in loans.   Or if he needed/wanted the money but decided he wasn't going to let the money determine his decisions in the game - even when it can cost him $450K.  I'm thinking Cody wasn't in it for the money, Cody wanted to be on camera.  And after watching and listening to him all summer, I think that's where he belongs.  With the sound off.

I agree. Wasn't he some hot shot soccer player? How did he not get some type of scholarship. I have a feeling he will get scammed in some get rich thing his brother recommends. He needs to contact Dan Gheesling and get whatever financial planner he used after BB10. That's what I would do if I ever went on Big Brother and won.

• Love 2

Someone who attended the after party posted a recap here. I thought this was the most interesting part:

Oh---and that bit of gossip that may have been the reason for Janna's sour mood after her husband won more than half a mil ... Derrick's mother was said to be wanting a piece of the money pie, and it started a spat between D-Rack and Jana. This apparently happened right after the show in the studio. Some production peeps were discussing that fact.

Drama! And it reminded me of the awful way Derrick used to talk about his mom. Maybe his mommy issues were the reason he was so threatened by the female players.

Edited by peachmangosteen

And, in another interview I read Derrick finally disclosed that the picture he was given for HOH was of his father & his wife & Derrick's daughter. I'm guessing it ain't all fun with Derrick's side of the family. Thus him being very happy with his wife & daughter. I think Cody quit his job as a sales person and will probably try his luck as an actor or something in LA. I didn't get the impression he was going back to New Jersey. I guess real life has to settle in sometime, right?

• Love 2

Cody said he's not going back to sales, he's an investor.

I don't think Derrick is threatened by women considering he seemed very proud announcing that his wife runs things. It's weird to me having read all the accusations thrown Derrick's way this season, I've seen people call him a corrupt cop, a misogynist, abusive, things about what kind of father and husband he must be and apparently every single word out of his mouth is a lie, etc and all because he chose to play a game strategically and outsmarted most of the HG's. I never saw him threaten a HG, I saw him playing a role to try to fit in with the young and immature HG's, yes, I saw him being emotionally manipulative but I also saw him be polite and courteous to most of the HG's. Did he make statements I don't agree with? Of course he did, but I don't see the evil POS a lot of people apparently see. To me, his biggest mistake was that he did not make good TV.

Edited by willpwr
  • Love 12

Someone who attended the after party posted a recap here. I thought this was the most interesting part:

Drama! And it reminded me of the awful way Derrick used to talk about his mom. Maybe his mommy issues were the reason he was so threatened by the female players.

That recap had a few things that stood out, their perception of each HG and the vibe they got when they met them especially. Derrick was nice and obliging but had family drama, Cody, Hayden, Zach and Caleb were sweet. Brittany was nice, surprisingly, Christine also. Donny was nice when asked to take a picture but then this about Donny in the next sentence: "Funny, I wanted to hug him when I was envisioning meeting him on finale night, but when I saw him, I didn't want to at all. He isn't an inviting person like I thought he'd be. He wasn't like Caleb and Hayden, all open and welcoming. Maybe that is the vibe that the other HGs got from him. Like with Amber, I felt that odd fakeness from her that the HGs had felt. What we see on TV and what they in the house feel are completely different, but I literally felt those vibes when I met these people....and without any prejudicial forethought -- I went in wanting to meet these people but felt a weird vibe in person that negated my previous impressions, and it matched what the HGs felt."

Edited by willpwr
  • Love 1

I never saw him threaten a HG, I saw him playing a role to try to fit in with the young and immature HG's, yes, I saw him being emotionally manipulative but I also saw him be polite and courteous to most of the HG's. Did he make statements I don't agree with? Of course he did, but I don't see the evil POS a lot of people apparently see. To me, his biggest mistake was that he did not make good TV.

After Nicole came back into the house he threatened his alliance and told them if anyone of them talk to Nicole behind a close door they will be nominated. He also would plant seeds in Caleb's mind to smash Zach's jaw a couple of times.

• Love 2

After Nicole came back into the house he threatened his alliance and told them if anyone of them talk to Nicole behind a close door they will be nominated. He also would plant seeds in Caleb's mind to smash Zach's jaw a couple of times.

They all agreed as an alliance not to talk to her, Derrick wasn't viewed as a strong player so his "threatening" them of being nominated didn't really seem to have anyone scared. He manipulated them into agreeing but he didn't try to physically intimidate them which is a big difference when some people talked about him being a corrupt cop and probably beating people up to get confessions. Cody started with the punching talk and Cody was mostly talk, he didn't seem like a violent guy and I'm pretty sure Derrick realized that which again goes into the frat boy mentality. 

I never saw anyone say they were scared or threatened by Derrick.... manipulated, guilted, played, etc, yes but they also mostly talked about how nice he was and how he loved his family.

Edited by willpwr

I never saw anyone say they were scared or threatened by Derrick.... manipulated, guilted, played, etc, yes but they also mostly talked about how nice he was and how he loved his family.

No one was scared of Derrick, but from watching him on  the feeds I can see why people think he is sexist. He thought Brittany was lying about her kids and was playboy playmate. Some of the things he said about Brittany I found very strange.

• Love 2

No one was scared of Derrick, but from watching him on  the feeds I can see why people think he is sexist. He thought Brittany was lying about her kids and was playboy playmate. Some of the things he said about Brittany I found very strange.

I agree with you on that, it was one of the reasons it took me a while to like him as a player. It didn't vibe with the way he would talk about his wife and daughter so I was put off by it. Per an interview, Brittany said he initially approached her to work together because they connected as parents and according to her, she said some things to him that she probably shouldn't have and she can see why she was eliminated. She said she messed up her game. Do I think he needs to apologize for and own up to some things? Of course I do, just like pretty much almost everyone else.

I agree with you on that, it was one of the reasons it took me a while to like him as a player. It didn't vibe with the way he would talk about his wife and daughter so I was put off by it. Per an interview, Brittany said he initially approached her to work together because they connected as parents and according to her, she said some things to him that she probably shouldn't have and she can see why she was eliminated. She said she messed up her game. Do I think he needs to apologize for and own up to some things? Of course I do, just like pretty much almost everyone else.

Plus when Nicole was evicted the second time and he said he wanted her to demand an apology that he had never lied to her seemed completely unnecessary. 

• Love 2

Plus when Nicole was evicted the second time and he said he wanted her to demand an apology that he had never lied to her seemed completely unnecessary. 

I'm not denying or excusing that. Like I said, he has a lot to own up to but he's not some evil guy, for the most part he's pretty nice.

http://www.people.com/article/frankie-grande-talks-big-brother

Why did People give Frankie an interview? Like his head needs to get bigger!

Edited by willpwr

I'm watching SNL right now, and I was wondering if Frankie would be in the audience.  Haven't seen him.  The Frankie-hater in me wants to think it's because he was not welcome, and I feel a little justified in thinking that.  SNL of late has not ever been shy of throwing the "celeb du jour" in to the audience or, sometimes, a skit, and so I think the fact that fame-seeking Frankie is nowhere to be seen is an indication that he will not be able to parlay his BB stint in to any other gigs.  Or so I pray.  But it has to be true, right?  Right??? He could have easily made his way to NYC for the day, if he had been invited.  So it must be that everyone hates him as much as I do, right?

I have lost all perspective.  

/if Frankie shows up later in this show, I will lose my mind.  Lose.  My.  Mind.  

ETA: Also, she wore cat ears.  CAT EARS.  

Edited by Turtle
  • Love 3

I'm watching SNL right now, and I was wondering if Frankie would be in the audience. Haven't seen him. The Frankie-hater in me wants to think it's because he was not welcome, and I feel a little justified in thinking that. SNL of late has not ever been shy of throwing the "celeb du jour" in to the audience or, sometimes, a skit, and so I think the fact that fame-seeking Frankie is nowhere to be seen is an indication that he will not be able to parlay his BB stint in to any other gigs. Or so I pray. But it has to be true, right? Right??? He could have easily made his way to NYC for the day, if he had been invited. So it must be that everyone hates him as much as I do, right?

I have lost all perspective.

/if Frankie shows up later in this show, I will lose my mind. Lose. My. Mind.

ETA: Also, she wore cat ears. CAT EARS.

He was there. I don't think per his contract with CBS he is even allowed to be on TV on a different network. I know that CBS basically owns these contestants for at least 2 years. In one of the podcasts I watched with Rob Cesternino I think he had Wil Hesuer on and he alluded to the fact that he couldn't answer one of the questions because he was still under contract with CBS and he could get in trouble for answering it but his contract was expiring once this season was over. Edited by SiobhanJW

Here are the pictures this person took at this party.

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/seasonsowither/slideshow/BB16%20Finale%20Party%20Photos

I find it strange that Derrick's mother would approach Derrick about sharing his money immediately after the win, assuming this is true.   I have to believe this is false information from a misunderstood conversation heard while eavesdropping.  It makes no sense.  

I never read about Derrick saying anything about his mother on the feeds,  Can you please tell us more, peachmangostein?

What did he say about his mom?

I never read about Derrick saying anything about his mother on the feeds,  Can you please tell us more, peachmangostein?

He talked about her once that I know of. His tone was very angry. He explained that she had him at 16 and didn't learn her lesson and had another child. IMO he basically called her slutty. You'd really have to see it to fully understand it. A lot of the time it's the way Derrick says things, his tone, that makes me think less of him. 

Like for instance, when he was berating Victoria when she dared to question his alliances. Maybe the printed words wouldn't look too bad, but he was awful to her IMO. 

• Love 1

He talked about her once that I know of. His tone was very angry. He explained that she had him at 16 and didn't learn her lesson and had another child. IMO he basically called her slutty. You'd really have to see it to fully understand it. A lot of the time it's the way Derrick says things, his tone, that makes me think less of him. 

Like for instance, when he was berating Victoria when she dared to question his alliances. Maybe the printed words wouldn't look too bad, but he was awful to her IMO. 

Interesting.  It is not uncommon that children of children have some resentment.  Slut or irresponsible, who knows and it doesn't matter.  There is a story there.  Now it is making some sense why she wanted money, if that is the case.  I am not sure I believe that story, though.  I have not seen a picture of her.  If anyone has a link to one I would love to see it.  They can be worth 1000 words.

I also see why Jana may be keen on controlling their life to some degree.  Many women do take on the bookkeeper role and if Derrick is embroiled in a tricky mom relationship, more power to her!     

Edited by wings707

One doesn't have to actually say 'slut' for it to be clearly what they mean. Of course, some don't even have a problem with using the word though, so obviously it's definitely a MMV/perception thing. I'm going to see if I can locate of vid or flashback time for the convo so people can watch it for themselves. ETA: But honestly, slutty was probably not the word I should've used. It was more like he was implying she was skanky, which is still a gross thing to say about your mom on a nationally broadcast live feed, IMO.

For me, it's not one isolated incident that makes me think Derrick (or anyone) had some sexist tendencies. It's a combination, a pattern if you will, of unrelated incidences that add up. There's the comments about his mom, the "She's getting child support, she'll be fine," comment, him telling Cody to nail down Brittany by sexing her up, his repeated condensation towards Victoria in particular, a comment about how he would never let Tenley be a tomboy, his participation in Frankie's rape joke, etc.

• Love 3

http://bigbrotherlivefeedupdates.blogspot.com/2014/06/meet-derrick-levasseur-assume-position.html

That interview is from before BB started filming where once again Derrick explained his strategy.

http://www.bigbrotherbuzz.com/2014/06/21/exclusive-a-family-perspective/

That's an interview with Jana from before the show started where she said he's extremely close to his parents. 

Maybe there's some resentment and he thought it was irresponsible since based on everything he's said, he and his family were very poor but I truly doubt he thinks his mom is slutty. I'm close to my family and I love them but I know there are some hurtful things in the past that would definitely bring up bad memories and angry tones. He said on the first interview that he was looking for one person to trust and that he didn't care if they were male or female so long as he could trust them or if they were on the other side of the house. He was undercover in the house, when undercover people say some things they don't necessarily mean, he read that house as pretty anti-feminist and took on that stance, right or wrong, he did that to fit in. Based on what people that know him have said and the way he talks about his family, I doubt he's actually sexist.

• Love 3

I don't know him, or any, of the HGs personally, so I can only take what I've actually seen him say/do and Derrick said/did a lot of things that came off sexist to me. But then I do think that he was pretty much competently phony in the house and never had a real genuine moment, so it might have been a complete departure from who he really is. 

His participation in/reaction to Frankie's rape joke is always gonna leave a really bad taste in my mouth though, since he's a father to a daughter and a cop, so I expect more from him than a couple of 20-something idiots. And 'playing the game' wasn't a justifiable excuse to me from the racists/vile people last season, so it isn't for Derrick to me now.

• Love 2

What else are we supposed to do but discuss these people? Isn't that what the message boards are for? I don't know why I'd even watch the show if I wasn't gonna talk about/speculate on/judge the people on the show. And with this show in particular we have the chance to watch these people all day, every day for 3 months. Being able to witness different people and how they react/interact and then discuss that is what makes the experience of watching BB so fascinating to me. I'd probably given it up long ago, like when the show first started casting vile people and trying to sell them as heroes, if it weren't for the fact that it's such an interesting social experiment. And not just the show itself, but the audience's reaction to it.

• Love 11

I don't know him, or any, of the HGs personally, so I can only take what I've actually seen him say/do and Derrick said/did a lot of things that came off sexist to me. But then I do think that he was pretty much competently phony in the house and never had a real genuine moment, so it might have been a complete departure from who he really is. 

His participation in/reaction to Frankie's rape joke is always gonna leave a really bad taste in my mouth though, since he's a father to a daughter and a cop, so I expect more from him than a couple of 20-something idiots. And 'playing the game' wasn't a justifiable excuse to me from the racists/vile people last season, so it isn't for Derrick to me now.

That's fine, I'm not trying to change your mind about him or convert you to liking him, I'm just trying to show a different perspective to be fair to him based on what I've seen and read. I viewed his reaction to the rape joke in a different way, I didn't see him laughing at it or encouraging it but rather as joking uncomfortably and trying to switch it to the zing bot especially since he said it was disgusting but obviously YMMV. The only one I saw as clearly wrong in that situation was Frankie because I thought the "20-something idiots" were clearly, to me, very uncomfortable in that situation and were trying desperately to change the topic.

Everyone in that house has at one point or another made some very shitty comments or done shitty things, nobody is excluded. Personally I expected more maturity from the older HG's but apparently some are more justified in engaging in childish, petulant behavior than others even though they were all dealt the same cards. Out of the 16 cast, 10 of them are 26 or older, that's really not that young. 

• Love 1

In reference to Cody:

...I'm not saying he won't regret his decision deep down inside but I think he's the kinda guy who's ego won't let him admit it, not to himself or anyone else...

I found it very interesting that Cody said (in his BY interview with Jeff, I think) he would NOT be watching BB16 when he got home. Jeff (I think) said "You gotta watch!!!". I believe Cody's inclination to avoid watching indicates he KNOWS Derrick played him as well as all he other houseguests. I think Cody senses a friendship with Derrick but, at the time of the interview, it was dawning on him that he was one of his pawns, too. He didn't want confirmation of what he was just learning about Derrick and his gameplay. Cody will keep his head in the sand for a while, I'm sure.

The only time I heard Derrick speaking about his mom was when he was discussing the unusual spelling of his first name and how his mom thought it unique to spell his other siblings' names differently, as well. He seemed a bit put off by it all but I didn't sense any deep seeded issues.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 3

In reference to Cody:

I found it very interesting that Cody said (in his BY interview with Jeff, I think) he would NOT be watching BB16 when he got home. Jeff (I think) said "You gotta watch!!!". I believe Cody's inclination to avoid watching indicates he KNOWS Derrick played him as well as all he other houseguests. I think Cody senses a friendship with Derrick but, at the time of the interview, it was dawning on him that he was one of his pawns, too. He didn't want confirmation of what he was just learning about Derrick and his gameplay. Cody will keep his head in the sand for a while, I'm sure.

Yeah, I agree, Cody's pride won't let him watch to confirm how he got played but I'm pretty sure he knows deep inside. 

• Love 1

Cody said on RHAP the next morning he might watch. He goes back and forth. He told Rob the only way he won't be friends with someone is if he finds out they made fun of his family.

Several houseguests said in interviews that they aren't sure if they are going to watch. And if they do it won't be right away. I think cuz it's so fresh that it's like I'll wait a bit. I would prolly run home and watch every episode haha.

Edited by SiobhanJW
Based on what people that know him have said and the way he talks about his family, I doubt he's actually sexist.

You will never see a sexist man talk poorly about his family. That's what makes sexism so insidious. It's the "other"ing of women. There are "my" women (my wife/daughter/mother/sister) and there are those "other" women. "My" women are put into a special category, never to be judged, while the "other" women are fair game. That's what allows it to perpetrate. As long as I'm nice to "my" women, I can't be sexist. I haven't heard Derrick's comments myself, but they sound pretty textbook.

People with issues who feel safe hiding behind technology start labeling people they don't know by the little they see of them or by what they see of them while playing a game that is also part social experiment. Worse, they start completely making stuff up because well, they can. It's one thing to snark. It's another IMO to fixate on someone and/or worse, start completely destroying someone's character. And even worse, turn their issues towards their family members.

The flip side to this is people who identify so closely with celebrities, celebrities who don't care about them and don't know anything about them, and appoint themselves the personal protectors and defenders of these celebrities. All kinds of projection occurs, including but not limited to the characterization of the celebrity as a "regular person" -- all the better to more closely identify with him or her.

I can't say with absolute certainty that Derrick is a corrupt cop who beats people for confessions. I also can't say with absolute certainty that Derrick isn't a corrupt cop who beats people for confessions. I judge Derrick by what he has showed me on TV and the Internet as a celebrity: the image he has chosen to project. I can draw my own conclusions, but if mine are negative, it does not invalidate them nor does it make me have "issues" for thinking that way. Someone who thinks everything Derrick does is terrible is no more disturbed than someone who thinks everything Derrick does is wonderful, in my book.

• Love 7

You will never see a sexist man talk poorly about his family. That's what makes sexism so insidious. It's the "other"ing of women. There are "my" women (my wife/daughter/mother/sister) and there are those "other" women. "My" women are put into a special category, never to be judged, while the "other" women are fair game. That's what allows it to perpetrate. As long as I'm nice to "my" women, I can't be sexist. I haven't heard Derrick's comments myself, but they sound pretty textbook.

The flip side to this is people who identify so closely with celebrities, celebrities who don't care about them and don't know anything about them, and appoint themselves the personal protectors and defenders of these celebrities. All kinds of projection occurs, including but not limited to the characterization of the celebrity as a "regular person" -- all the better to more closely identify with him or her.

I can't say with absolute certainty that Derrick is a corrupt cop who beats people for confessions. I also can't say with absolute certainty that Derrick isn't a corrupt cop who beats people for confessions. I judge Derrick by what he has showed me on TV and the Internet as a celebrity: the image he has chosen to project. I can draw my own conclusions, but if mine are negative, it does not invalidate them nor does it make me have "issues" for thinking that way. Someone who thinks everything Derrick does is terrible is no more disturbed than someone who thinks everything Derrick does is wonderful, in my book.

I know plenty of sexist men that talk negatively about their families, in fact usually they can't seem to help it but talk shit about their mom's and sister's from personal experience. I think the main argument is that I haven't seen anyone say that everything Derrick does is wonderful. When people state their opinions as fact, yes, more people are prone to defend but that's because there's different perceptions and we don't all see the same thing the same way. I really don't view him as a celebrity, he's a regular person IMO who happened to do a reality show, to me, that means that I see his flaws but also his positive qualities. The flip side to people who identify so closely to "celebrities" is that they also tend to point the finger at their favorite's competition while making excuses for their favorite's actions. One tends to become a villain while the other is seen as a martyr. I see no villain, I've seen everyone, even Frankie do something positive in the house, just like I've seen everyone, even Donny do negative things. I believe everyone has some good and negative qualities, I don't see it as black and white.

• Love 5

Several houseguests said in interviews that they aren't sure if they are going to watch. And if they do it won't be right away. I think cuz it's so fresh that it's like I'll wait a bit. I would prolly run home and watch every episode haha.

Oh I agree. I would probably want someone to tell me what I should know. I remember someone from All-Stars  I think it was Janelle saying how she was so depressed after her original season she didn't want to leave the house and that all she did when she got out was watch the show.

Edited by choclatechip45

The only time I heard Derrick speaking about his mom was when he was discussing the unusual spelling of his first name and how his mom thought it unique to spell his other siblings' names differently, as well.

Well, I have to agree with him on that! 'Clever' names spellings do tend to drive me nuts. Although, I think Derrick is a pretty common spelling.

I can only speak for what I've seen here, but I think when people were talking about Frankie's mom it was mostly based on the things she herself said/did and how it lined up with how Frankie speaks/behaves, so it's natural to speculate that they are a bit of an arrogant, famewhoreish family.

I don't think speculating about the people we've watched day in and day out for 3 months makes anyone off or disturbed. I think that's kind of the point of the show honestly. And the people on it should get that. You can't put yourself out there to have every single thing you say and do filmed and broadcast 24/7 for months and not expect people to make remarks about you as a person. And I've certainly never seen anything her, in particular, where people are making seriously out there statements that make them seem like disturbed people.

Now the Zankie talk on Twitter/Tumblr, that's another story!

• Love 2

I think more wry than bitter, but YMMV. ;)

Wry is the perfect word to use here.  I don't think Donny's bitter; I think he's just being funny in his own way and pointing out things that relate back to his experience in this house that will make people laugh ... and keep talking.

He can give him a gift, like Jordan gifted Jeff with the eye surgery he wanted. So she paid for that. But you can't give money out right. 

How would anybody know if he gives Cody money?

And finally, I've read on here how Amanda is hanging out with Frankie and Donny is hanging out with Howie and I probably missed others.  My question is, since these people live all over the country, how do they "hang out" with other HGs, current or previous?  I can't see them jet-setting (or even flying coach) to be together.

I'm enjoying reading about the goings-on after they were released.  Thanks to those of you who are doing the research and posting it here.  Keep it up, please&thankyou!

Edited because the second I posted this, I read the answer to one of my questions, that I've since deleted.  Oopsie!

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 1

Derrick came off as sexist to me too. With that being said, "sexist" is subjective and different people have different ideas of what is inappropriate/offensive/uninformed/etc. I freely admit that my views are outside what "the mainstream" considers acceptable/normal. Derrick's views seem to fall within the "normal" range to me, so I just see him as a person who is different from me, not a monster or anything like that.

What else are we supposed to do but discuss these people? Isn't that what the message boards are for? I don't know why I'd even watch the show if I wasn't gonna talk about/speculate on/judge the people on the show. And with this show in particular we have the chance to watch these people all day, every day for 3 months. Being able to witness different people and how they react/interact and then discuss that is what makes the experience of watching BB so fascinating to me. I'd probably given it up long ago, like when the show first started casting vile people and trying to sell them as heroes, if it weren't for the fact that it's such an interesting social experiment. And not just the show itself, but the audience's reaction to it.

Exactly. I also think that we, the audience, are "entitled"  to comment on these people because they've put themselves out there for our entertainment and scrutiny. I have my own personal lines I won't cross in terms of what I'm comfortable saying/posting/whatever about them, but I recognize that other people's boundaries are different. It's ridiculous to think you can go on a TV show and have people make only positive judgments/comments about you.

In terms of BB in particular, I think it's fair to judge people on their behavior 24/7 for 3 months. No, it's not the entirety of who they are and they're in a weird environment, etc., etc., but I think even someone as controlled as Derrick can't help but reveal a lot of his true self under these circumstances. Even if their BB personas aren't "real," I don't see how it's unfair to judge them on the behavior they've displayed. What if it turned out that Evel Dick was a kindhearted, mild-mannered librarian in his real life and his persona on the show was just a character he created? Would it be unfair to judge him and hold him responsible for the things he did/said because it was all an act? I don't think so.

ITA except that I've also seen sexist men who do talk poorly of their families. In addition to how Derrick played up his relationships with his wife and daughter, he also talked a lot about his two younger sisters who I think are in their teens/early 20's. The "Good Guy Who Protects and Cares About Women" was a big part of his BB persona, but he always framed it as "If someone did [what's being done to a woman in the house] to one of my women I'd flip out." To me, that's a brand of sexism in itself, being tolerant, even admiring, of other women being treated badly while declaring that you wouldn't allow the women you care about to be treated that way. I also thought that his relationship with Victoria was gross, that he talked about many women in the house with a disparaging tone, etc., etc. With that being said, I understand that other people see that stuff differently.

Edited by TheRealT
  • Love 4