Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Target

When Jeff leaves Cloud 9 to work at Target, Garrett leads Glenn to believe that he's poaching other employees to go with him. In return Glenn tries to poach employees from Target. Amy goes on a double date with Dina, and Kelly and Jonah discuss moving in together.

I had just been complaining to my husband about Cheyenne not being on the show much and then there she was at Target. I didn't see that one coming, so funny. If I was Kelly I would be dumping Jonah so fast. He was getting on my nerves. This wasn't my favorite episode but Amy's date was pretty funny and I did like Kelly squishing the bread.

• Love 8

Wonder if the show had to get permission from the real Target to have their logo used in this storyline?  And I chuckled when the gal said "Tar-jay", it sounds so fancy :)  In my family we always say that.  And Amy's date was funny, I am thinking she may start dating the Beverage delivery guy...  Wonder if Cheyenne will be seen less at Cloud 9?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I did like Kelly squishing the bread

That bread squishing moment was so very real.

This episode didn't do much for me either.  I thought Jeff acted out of character to be pulled into that fight with Glenn.  I guess it could be explained away by the fact that he left his job but that's exactly why I was afraid of the dynamic changing with him not at Cloud 9 any longer.

I did like how they filmed Target like this super clean and bright store where everyone looked polished and pretty.  I mean, Target Cheyenne looked amazing. So I guess Target got their money's worth.  If it keeps this show on the air then...

I did laugh when we found out that Jeff wasn't at Target and Sandra was wearing the red shirt.  (Ah Sandra, who also had a great moment in the beginning while sharing her "memories" of her time with Jeff.)

• Love 8
5 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And Amy's date was funny, I am thinking she may start dating the Beverage delivery guy... 

I think so too. I didn't buy his excuse that his boss made him go to Cloud 9 out of schedule. Seemed obvious to me that he went to go see her and she looked like she was into him also. I fully expect them to get together while Kelly and Jonah break up.  Maybe Kelly will go to Target afterwards. 

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I did like how they filmed Target like this super clean and bright store where everyone looked polished and pretty.  I mean, Target Cheyenne looked amazing. So I guess Target got their money's worth.  If it keeps this show on the air then...

It's great advertising from Target's perspective as they can show how much better they are than Wal-Mart. I mean, Cloud 9. I can't fault Cheyenne for wanting to do what's best for her and her family, but I would miss having her on the show.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I can't fault Cheyenne for wanting to do what's best for her and her family, but I would miss having her on the show.

I don't think there's any danger of Cheyenne being written out of the show. I think that bit just made the point that many retail workers have to hold multiple jobs to make enough money to get by on minimum or near-minimum wage.

Am I the only one who feels a little sorry for Kelly? She seems really sweet, if socially awkward, and Jonah seems to be with her just because she's pretty and available and he's afraid to commit to Amy. But the furniture scene was pretty funny.

• Love 19

If you're a Jonah/Amy shipper (I'm not), these last 2 weeks will give you whiplash. It's almost like they got their Season 4 renewal notice after the "Amnesty" episode, and decided to pump the brakes. 

Target must've loved this episode.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kip Hackman said:

If you're a Jonah/Amy shipper (I'm not), these last 2 weeks will give you whiplash. It's almost like they got their Season 4 renewal notice after the "Amnesty" episode, and decided to pump the brakes.

I was coming here to post something similar.  Like...ok, the show got over the Jonah/Amy thing pretty quickly (as did the coworkers, which wouldn’t really happen, imho).  As I said last week...I miss Jonah and Amy being in scenes together.  The actors have good chemistry and this season hasn’t had them together much.  

Sandra’s “memories” were awesomely cringeworthy.  

• Love 7

I had just been complaining to my husband about Cheyenne not being on the show much and then there she was at Target. I didn't see that one coming, so funny.

This. I lol'd.

My DVR did something wonky, so I don't know what Amy's "memory" of Jeff and it cut Sandra's off too.  I will have to watch on Demand.

I love Sandra.

Jeff not really working at Target, was a surprise to me too!

• Love 2

Target being clean and pretty compared to Walmart Cloud 9 being dingy and depressing and having people trying on underwear right there in the underwear aisle or using the scoop to eat out of the bulk food bins was spot on. I love Target (though not as much as I did before they all became Super Targets and screwed up what was once a perfect store layout) and go all the time, but I only go to Walmart when I need a couple of specific items that I can't find elsewhere or that they're selling so much more cheaply than anywhere else. I also make sure I slather on the hand sanitizer as soon as I leave because of having to touch a thousand items to find the one with the least damaged packaging. I would only buy an in-house bakery/deli item or anything from the meat counter from Walmart if I already knew I had a terminal disease and didn't care about maximizing my time on earth.

I'm back on the Kelly-Jonah ship. Kelly is just so normal and treats everyone's nonsense about Jonah and Amy in a mature way, and Jonah seems way more relaxed and not so "on" around her. Also I would so much rather see Amy get together with beverage delivery guy; they had instant chemistry! Plus he's cute and seems smart and has a job so ... step up from her ex-husband. I don't really get why all of Amy's coworkers think she can only get a guy like Mateo's worst cousin or Grandpa who can't drive at night. However, I did love, "now let's get back to the table. Walter ordered you two puddings!"

Sandra's Jeff memories were so cringe-inducing. Sometimes the writers go too far, and this was one of those times. If they'd just left it at her saying she had a lot of memories of their phony relationship, that would have been funny, but then they had to get into the specifics and make her look like a psycho. It's one thing when they crazy up Carol because we're supposed to be repulsed by Carol, but they need to leave Sandra as more of a lovable sad sack who gets the occasional win.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That's how my Target looks. Even on Thanksgiving night/Black Friday it still looked pretty good. Compare to Kohl's where it literally looked like a tornado had gone through there. I love Target.

I, too, was surprised that Jeff wasn't actually working there. What are they going to do with him?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, festivus said:

That's how my Target looks. Even on Thanksgiving night/Black Friday it still looked pretty good. Compare to Kohl's where it literally looked like a tornado had gone through there. I love Target.

I, too, was surprised that Jeff wasn't actually working there. What are they going to do with him?

My Targets look like that too but I live in MN where corporate is.  Those stores could get drop ins at any moment.

The whole thing about Target being the classier alternative to Wall Mart I MEAN Cloud 9 was hilariously spot on. Almost every Target I go to looks great, where I grew up, we had to drive 30 minutes for a Target (and about 3 to a Wall Mart) and going to Target was a special treat when I was growing up! Target must have loved this episode, its the best ad campaign they've had in years.

I swear, Sandra could have her own web series and I would watch the crap out of it. Her weird memories of Jeff were just cracking me up. Also, Cheyenne at Target looks amazing! And it was nice to acknowledge that a lot of people who work retail have to work more than one job, especially when they have families. 

• Love 6

Hmm - the Target nearest me doesn't look nearly that nice. Empty shelves and poor quality and sparsely stocked clothes. It's actually pretty sad looking.

My favorite thing about this show are all the quick little shots of customers doing bizarre and gross things. That lady who was scooping something out of a bin and pouring it directly into her mouth . . . ew! and LOL! And - what was that stuff anyway, cereal? Coffee beans?

Yeah, sometimes Sandra crosses over the line into pathetic territory. Last week she was sporting a "Team Amy" shirt only to find out Jonah asked Kelly to move in together. This week she's got on her Target shirt only to find out Jeff doesn't really work there. Never picks the right team.

Maybe we can just drop this whole Amy/Jonah thing, and let Jonah be happy with Kelly and let Amy start dating this delivery guy. He seemed like an awfully good sport at the restaurant playing along with her diversion. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Hmm - the Target nearest me doesn't look nearly that nice. Empty shelves and poor quality and sparsely stocked clothes. It's actually pretty sad looking.

My favorite thing about this show are all the quick little shots of customers doing bizarre and gross things. That lady who was scooping something out of a bin and pouring it directly into her mouth . . . ew! and LOL! And - what was that stuff anyway, cereal? Coffee beans?

Yeah, sometimes Sandra crosses over the line into pathetic territory. Last week she was sporting a "Team Amy" shirt only to find out Jonah asked Kelly to move in together. This week she's got on her Target shirt only to find out Jeff doesn't really work there. Never picks the right team.

Maybe we can just drop this whole Amy/Jonah thing, and let Jonah be happy with Kelly and let Amy start dating this delivery guy. He seemed like an awfully good sport at the restaurant playing along with her diversion. 

Agree about the delivery guy and Amy. He seemed immediately smitten with her and I enjoyed their fake argument. He was such a cutie.  I was way too excited to see him at cloud 9. 

I don't think Jonah and Kelly will last much longer simply because Jonah tends to over analyze situations and Kelly appears to be getting annoyed with him.

Loved the scene with Jeff on the podium and slapping Glenn's hand away when he started pushing him.

• Love 2

I did NOT see the fakeout coming (about Jeff & Target). I was so surprised! haha!

I thought Beverage Boy was a great match for Amy, except he said on her older gentleman date, 'If you're not going for him, I will', so I assumed he was gay.

Also, how was Dina's date's OLDER sister, the old man's babysitter??? a sister 40 years his senior?

6 hours ago, tominboston said:

I don't think there's any danger of Cheyenne being written out of the show. I think that bit just made the point that many retail workers have to hold multiple jobs to make enough money to get by on minimum or near-minimum wage.

Am I the only one who feels a little sorry for Kelly? She seems really sweet, if socially awkward, and Jonah seems to be with her just because she's pretty and available and he's afraid to commit to Amy. But the furniture scene was pretty funny.

The issue is you can’t work for a competitor at the same time you work work somewhere.

The issue is you can’t work for a competitor at the same time you work work somewhere.

I doubt very much that applies to minimum wage retail jobs. I've never heard of anyone working for Walmart having to sign a non-compete contract.

Also, how was Dina's date's OLDER sister, the old man's babysitter??? a sister 40 years his senior?

I think the joke is that he's so old he needs a caretaker, a.k.a. a "baby-sitter."

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I doubt very much that applies to minimum wage retail jobs. I've never heard of anyone working for Walmart having to sign a non-compete contract.

I think the joke is that he's so old he needs a caretaker, a.k.a. a "baby-sitter."

It applies for the big box stores (Walmart and Target), grocery stores (Harris Teeter, Food Lion, etc), and maybe fast food?

Most Targets are pretty nice, but they are also extreeemly expensive for anyone less then middle/upper middle class to shop at exclusively. No wonder Glenn was shocked that at how nice it was lol.

12 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

It applies for the big box stores (Walmart and Target), grocery stores (Harris Teeter, Food Lion, etc), and maybe fast food?

Considering most those places don't pay a living wage, it's hard to fathom how they can try to keep their employees from taking second jobs at competitors. Just more corporate bs, I suppose.

I think Kelly is really too nice and normal for Jonah. Maybe she'll end up with cute drink guy so Jonah, Amy and their various neuroses can be together. 

Also, I kind of dislike Jeff now. Him hating half of the Cloud 9 staff and putting down my boy Garrett did not endear Mr.Milquetoast to me.

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I would only buy an in-house bakery/deli item or anything from the meat counter from Walmart if I already knew I had a terminal disease and didn't care about maximizing my time on earth.

LOL! My dad lives in the country and the nearest store is a Walmart, so they shop there a lot, but they seem to make an Olympic sport over complaining about it. They are always out of stock of what they need, and my dad always says the only employee who knows what they're doing works at the deli counter, and they should fire everyone else and let him run the place.

I will say, though, that the Walmart was handy for being open on Thanksgiving morning when my dad ran out of nicotine gum and desperately needed more. He quit smoking 15 years ago but still chews the gum.

26 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

I thought Beverage Boy was a great match for Amy, except he said on her older gentleman date, 'If you're not going for him, I will', so I assumed he was gay.

I'm pretty sure he was just joking/teasing her in a flirty way. I thought they had great chemistry.

While the gag was funny, I was kind of disappointed that they had Dina set Amy up with such a dud. I felt annoyed at Amy at first for resisting the blind date (I figured it's lunch, you say you're friends with Dina, just go for it!) but then they had to go and make the date so bad and justified her hesitance.

Edited by pigs-in-space
  • Love 3

I love that Cheyenne was working at Target , made sense.  For a minute I thought oh no don't write her off.  I didn't like her at all the first season but really enjoy her. As well as Sandra her memories cracked me up. 

Jonah is a cutie pie but no, dump him Kelly. 

Amy's beverage guy cute.

While I love both Jonah and Amy, I don't need to see them as a couple. 

I go to the Wal-Mart closest to me because it's on my way home, but there's a lot I don't buy there because a lot of the food is expired and the "fresh" fruits and vegetables go bad in about 24 hours. I will go to Target sometimes. Yeah, it's a little more expensive, but at least the food isn't expired.  I go to a regular grocery store or the farmers market for fresh fruits and vegetables.  

I was happy to see Cheyenne and to laugh about the daycare center that has NEVER had a fire and Glenn was incredulous that that could happen.  

Kelly, you deserve better than Jonah. Run, Kelly run.  

I thought the beverage guy was cute.  

• Love 4

I always view Jonah/Kelly as Jim/Karen, so they're in a cute phase, but it will pass.  Jonah being unsure about moving in with Kelly reminded me so much of Jim not wanting Karen to get an apartment near him.  Do any of guys Dinah is dating know she's pregnant? 

• Love 7

Retail stores can say that employees can't work for a competitor, not because of non-compete clauses which probably wouldn't quality, but because most states are at will states.  So if Cloud 9 has a policy that employees can't work for a competitor, Cheyenne could be fired upon discovery.   But I don't think that'll happen unless Nichole Bloom is moving on.

• Love 1

Yep worked at Best Buy and you couldn’t do crap with them.  They blocked you from tech gigs to other retail jobs to work from home jobs.  I had a coworker get fired because he started work to man the light board at a dance club.  Most coworkers worked second jobs at bars and restaurants as servers or did Uber/delivery jobs.

• Love 2

The thing about Jonah asking Kelly to move in with him at the end was that the bread conversation seemed like one he would have had with Amy.  So at first I thought they were showing that he has just as much fun with her as he does with Amy, so they're compatible!  But then I was like, was he moved to ask her to move in with him because she reminded him of Amy?  But this is probably overthinking it.

What I really came here to say, though, was that I thought the bread squishing thing was sort of creepy.  Do a lot of people want to squish loaves of bread?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, pigs-in-space said:

While the gag was funny, I was kind of disappointed that they had Dina set Amy up with such a dud. I felt annoyed at Amy at first for resisting the blind date (I figured it's lunch, you say you're friends with Dina, just go for it!) but then they had to go and make the date so bad and justified her hesitance.

I thought it served her right.  Dina had Justine all set up to go and Amy, as usual, bulldozed her way through and knocked Justine to the side after she discovered the guy was (supposedly) hot.  Just like when the insurance co-op seemed to be going well and she just had to have everybody think it was her idea.  She never learns.

Now whether Dina really had planned for Justine to go on the date or was just doing it because she knew how Amy would react, who knows?  I kind of want it to be the latter, with Dina using Amy's character flaws against her to get what she (Dina) wants after all.

I like Kelly. I like Jonah. Kelly can do better than Jonah.

I like Amy. I like Jonah. I like Amy and Jonah together but I liked Amy and Beverage Boy more.  

However, the show isn't doing any of us a service by going back and forth, so randomly and quickly,  on the status of all those relationships.

Found Deena setting Amy up with ultra-old guy too unrealistic and annoying. One second she's such a good friend that she'd comprise her vegan-ism to be supportive, the next she's just pushing Amy onto a very bad match? Even with how socially tone deaf D is, it didn't work. 

Love Sandra. 

Love Target. I like to call it Tar-Jay. Like it's fancy.

Edited by nicgwatchingtv
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

What I really came here to say, though, was that I thought the bread squishing thing was sort of creepy.  Do a lot of people want to squish loaves of bread?

I mean, kind of... yeah... desperately so... brb, going to the store

15 hours ago, nicgwatchingtv said:

Found Deena setting Amy up with ultra-old guy too unrealistic and annoying. One second she's such a good friend that she'd comprise her vegan-ism to be supportive, the next she's just pushing Amy onto a very bad match? Even with how socially tone deaf D is, it didn't work. 

We've seen that Dina doesn't have a great understanding of or respect for typical social norms ("You want the play-by-play, or a quicktime? I'll send you a file!"), so I thought it was completely in character for her to set Amy up with the old man.

And even if you don't buy that premise, you could easily read it as her setting Amy up on bad dates in order to push her closer to Jonah. (Which is what Amy really wants, i.e. it's Dina being a good friend again. Or attempting to be.)

• Love 3

I used to work at Target so I was surprised that Cheyenne didn't get fired for working at Cloud 9.  Then I remembered that Target's policy on employees working for competitors is dependent on the department they work in, and that we don't know Cheyenne's.  To explain further, I worked with a guy who gathered carts for Target and worked in produce at Publix and wasn't at risk for termination because those departments didn't violate the policy.  On the flip side, any pharmacy employees who needed/wanted second jobs absolutely could get fired if they worked for a retail competitor (non-retail was fine), no matter the department, because it was against policy.  Dramatic license or not, I think Cheyenne's in the clear. 

One thing that made me laugh about this Target ad was the number of redshirts at Cheyenne's store.  At mine the managers had a skeleton staff on purpose to save money and not having anyone around to help was the one consistent complaint from customers.  There probably are Targets that are properly staffed like what we saw but that was never the case at the one I worked at.  Being clean I buy since they have an early morning cleaning crew come every day a few hours before the store opens. 

• Love 4

Does anyone remember the very short-lived show Grosse Pointe on the WB? It was a sitcom about the behind-the-scenes of a 90210 type drama. Anyways, this episode just reminded me of one of my favorite exchanges on that show. The network executive walks in to the writer's room to let the head writer know, "we just signed a deal with Subway so I need you to write a story line about a Subway 6-inch sub with 6 grams of fat or less... But don't worry, it doesn't have to be an A story." 

And of course, the best product placement episode of all time, Community's KFC episode.  

• Love 2
On 3/24/2018 at 3:22 AM, Fairlily26 said:

Agree about the delivery guy and Amy. He seemed immediately smitten with her and I enjoyed their fake argument. He was such a cutie.  I was way too excited to see him at cloud 9. 

I don't think Jonah and Kelly will last much longer simply because Jonah tends to over analyze situations and Kelly appears to be getting annoyed with him.

Loved the scene with Jeff on the podium and slapping Glenn's hand away when he started pushing him.

I really liked the delivery guy with Amy. Too bad they’ll never last because Jonah/Amy was always going to be endgame. 

I’m happy for Cheyenne that Harmonica gets to go to a daycare with no fires. 

• Love 3

As for working at 2 stores, at least where I live it is based on department. My niece worked at Walmart in the bakery, and Kroger wanted her to work in their bakery and she could not work at both bakeries. It was because customers might be loyal to a cake decorator over the store? Cheyenne at Cloud is a cashier and works jewelry? and at Target appeared to be in the baby area. Those jobs don't seem to conflict as much a a baker or butcher.  I also wonder where Cheyenne had been this season. Is the actress working on other projects? or is she just not getting a big story line this year?

@fishcakes mentioned all targets becoming super targets? Is this true? We have 5 walmarts and 1 regular target (next closest retail area is 2 hours away). Our target has been undergoing a weird LONG transformation. First the cafe was turned into a starbucks with a wall of icee machines but it never opened. It is not like there is anymore real room to expand since it is at the end of the strip mall so the made the aisles so close together you can't fit a cart down them.  Our target was once the decent go to place and now since the renovation or whatever is going on , the shelves are bare for the last 2 months. I have to go to our only CVS which is inside target and I could not even find nail polish remover, plastic easter eggs, and not a barbie or doll in the store. There was just a few workers, teens and part of the ceiling was leaking so I didn't press to ask questions since they were panicing reading a manual of what to do. 

Are the products shown in the background on these episodes paid product placements? Like the beverage delivery guy had LaCriox Water he was bringing in or Tostitios chips are being stocked as they talk? It is all food brands that are noticeable. When Jonah was making up the apartment , the bedding all had the names not shown or paper over the name.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:17 PM, silverspoons said:

@fishcakes mentioned all targets becoming super targets? Is this true? We have 5 walmarts and 1 regular target (next closest retail area is 2 hours away).

I don't know about the City Target stores in downtown areas, but all the regular Targets have been expanding over the last few years (well, sort of; they're adding more stuff, but in the same amount of space) to add expanded food and produce sections when before they only had shelf-stable stuff plus a small refrigerated/frozen selection. Though I think they're not officially Super Targets until they get an in-house bakery/deli, which is I think is what's going on at the Target I normally shop at, but, weirdly, none of the staff will confirm or deny it. If you ask if a bakery is coming, they get all nervous and are like, "oh ha ha that's a good question. I'm not sure," as if it's some kind of national security matter.

• Love 2
On 3/23/2018 at 1:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

The whole thing about Target being the classier alternative to Wall Mart I MEAN Cloud 9 was hilariously spot on. Almost every Target I go to looks great, where I grew up, we had to drive 30 minutes for a Target (and about 3 to a Wall Mart) and going to Target was a special treat when I was growing up! Target must have loved this episode, its the best ad campaign they've had in years.

I swear, Sandra could have her own web series and I would watch the crap out of it. Her weird memories of Jeff were just cracking me up. Also, Cheyenne at Target looks amazing! And it was nice to acknowledge that a lot of people who work retail have to work more than one job, especially when they have families. 

target is nicer than walmart. unfortunately we only have a vile walmart  in my area and by god, the sights you will see in the store. i have only ever shopped there maybe 5 times in 20 years and only because they carried something i needed quickly and couldn't wait for the time it would take to get it buying  online or driving to the mall.  . walmart is so ugly, so bright, so classless. target is fun. but there are a certain population here who love them some walmart! main street usa, small shop owners or even nicer chains be damned! walmart is god. i hate it. it seems walmart comes in to an area as a stand alone store and kills the local businesses whereas target is more of a mall store. at least where i am. 

i don't believe cheyenne was wearing regulation target gear. she did looked really nice .

i love this show. in my top 5 for sure. when it ends, i'll be buying the box set of dvds!

• Love 1
On 3/24/2018 at 1:25 AM, janie jones said:

The thing about Jonah asking Kelly to move in with him at the end was that the bread conversation seemed like one he would have had with Amy.  So at first I thought they were showing that he has just as much fun with her as he does with Amy, so they're compatible!  But then I was like, was he moved to ask her to move in with him because she reminded him of Amy?  But this is probably overthinking it.

that's what i thought. who squishes bread. and jonah is awfully juvenile a lot of the time. i don't think he and kelly will last. he will break her heart.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Wonder if the show had to get permission from the real Target to have their logo used in this storyline? 

Oh, 100 percent they did. I'm also pretty sure that the stipulation in using the Target logo is that they couldn't make the store look bad. There's a reason why every Target worker they encountered seems happy with their job and loves it there. This was basically product placement for Target.

I did think that this was playing up the general perception that Target is better than Walmart.

Full discretion- I live pretty close to a Target AND a Walmart. Target, hands down. They're even renovating their store right now, and it's only a decade old. Hence why Target's still around and our local Kmart is closing down. I'm wondering if part of the renovation is adding in more of grocery store- no in-house deli/bakery here, yet. I also wondered if they might be adding in a Disney store, but my local one isn't listed in the plans for the Disney store locations. They already redid the  exterior sign, the dressing rooms, the service counter, the men's grooming section, ladies's cosmetics, and they're currently redoing the Starbucks. Again, this Target opened up in 2009. It's not even old yet. But Target stores are really invested in keeping people coming. I've recently fallen in love with their men's clothing line Goodfellow. Helluva lot better than Mossimo.

I loved Cheyenne working at Target.

As for non-compete, it reminded me of when I had a manager who left our movie theater to go to another chain. He tried to play it off, but we knew what was going on. Last I heard, he actually came back to work at another movie theater in our chain. We didn't have any kind of non-compete clauses, though. I didn't have to sign them for Williams and Sonoma, Victoria's Secret, or Bath and Body Works, either. It might be different at a big-box store, though.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1