Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Robert's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

Just now, jnagle4 said:

Is he the first death?

I think so.

Poor Kathryn. I have a friend who recently lost her fiance after an unexpected illness. I can't imagine.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

What up, fellow twin mamma?!  And yes, bed rest sucks.  

Hi to you too, fellow twin mommy! Bedrest was the worst.  My husband was a saint through it all. I'm the luckiest girl in the world. 

• Love 1

Oh God.  We kinda knew.  On a personal note, I know how she felt when she says she wakes up and was hoping it was a nightmare.  My husband passed away while we were on vacation while I was in a store shipping, I found him gone when I returned to the car.  This was 5 yrs ago.  Kathryn, my thoughts are with you.  Life sucks.

• Love 23

I think the info went by too fast for me - what did he die from?  Was it one of those situations where the morbidly obese person seems to be getting better, but has done so much damage, that they end up dying anyway?

• Love 1

I gotta say I'm shocked TLC didn't somehow hint at the death in the promos to drum up interest. I guess now we know to look out when someone other than the "contestant" narrates. 

• Love 8
Just now, LordOfLotion said:

A Whitney Thore promo right after that was mood whiplash and was NOT appropriate.

Twitney needs to have this episode playing on a loop in her house! With her issues, she's going to end up in just the same shape and meet just  the same kind of unnecessary end if she doesn't wake up and turn her life around before it's too late. 

• Love 14
Just now, MelissaMinion said:

She did her absolute best for him, I am so sorry for her. 

That's true.  At least she should know that she did everything she could have for him.  

• Love 11
1 minute ago, aliya said:

I think the info went by too fast for me - what did he die from?  Was it one of those situations where the morbidly obese person seems to be getting better, but has done so much damage, that they end up dying anyway?

Heart attack.

I gotta hand it to Kathryn -- she is probably one of the most self aware, articulate, signifiant other ever featured on this show. I feel incredibly sad for her. 

And I have to wonder if they even did an echo or other cardiac tests on Robert? I mean, he was the definition of ticking time bomb when it came to being at risk for heart disease -- family history, morbidly obese, immobile, etc. I really don't think any amount of exercise was going to stave off that inevitability. 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

He lost the two things that brought him comfort- food and painkillers.  Now he doesn't have the will to continue because those were the things that filled that void.

And this is what his fiancée did not understand. An addict loves nothing, and I mean nothing, more than they love their drug of choice.   

I wish I felt sympathy for him, but I don’t. She is free now but, what she will most likely do, is find herself another addict unless she gets the treatment that she needs.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 7
(edited)

You know - his death may indicate he really was in pain.  He may have been suffering symptoms of congestive heart failure.  Accounts for his listlessness.  And he was making progress... Too late.  Sad.

Edited by Carrie
  • Love 7
Just now, Snarkastikate said:

Oh God.  We kinda knew.  On a personal note, I know how she felt when she says she wakes up and was hoping it was a nightmare.  My husband passed away while we were on vacation while I was in a store shipping, I found him gone when I returned to the car.  This was 5 yrs ago.  Kathryn, my thoughts are with you.  Life sucks.

I went down to make dinner and mine was dead on the kitchen floor. Life sucks indeed.

On the other hand, they were living together for years. As much as I believe in people being legally married and not just living together, I don't know what else she was expecting from marriage. Even after WLS, he would have needed a lot of help and additional surgeries before he was anywhere near normal. They should have gotten married earlier. Or, she should have walked when she saw that their life was basically going to be her taking care of him.  

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, magemaud said:

When he retires, he could set up a "Guess Your Weight" booth at the Texas state fair! 

There was an airplane crash in North Carolina a dozen years ago and the FAA hired one of those fair guys to analyze the passengers boarding the plane on video tape to determine that the plane was overloaded. Next time they could hire Dr Now.

• Love 3

Yes, Dbell, please extend sympathies from this forum.  I'm grateful to Robert for giving me some motivation to try to quit the soda and get my shit together.

Oh, this is so sad.  I hope Kathryn's doing better now emotionally.  Mom, too.

• Love 18

I am truly sorry that this happened to him and my condolences to his fiancee and his mom.

Makes me doubly angry that he wasn't getting any drug treatment. Withdrawal would explain a lot such as loss of interest in trying to get better, his depressed state, mood swings, etc.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

DBell - Please tell Kathryn we're sorry for her loss. She was a real trouper.

I am too.  She did the best that she could and she put up with a great deal.  I can only imagine the pain she's feeling, since he was so much of her life.

• Love 5

You know, I used to think that this show was rather fascinating; seeing how these people live, eat and try to get help.  Many of them are ready for help.   Most of them ARE hopeless.  My biggest realization is that most of them are such  a - holes;  treating their families like slaves and treating them like shit.  OMG, how horrid.    

• Love 3
Just now, Miracle Maxie said:

I’m pretty sure the lecture was just in the voiceover. He was saying something else to Kathryn & the mother. 

God, I hope that's the case. I wasn't watching closely when the conversation was happening. 

6 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Trying to help someone who won't help themselves never works.

He kept saying he was doing it for her.  He should have been doing it for himself.  

• Love 5