Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Aloha Buddy

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, John M said:

. . .whoever produces MBFL goes to TLC for what they think is a reasonable budget for the season of the show, TLC says yea or nea and the production companies decides if they want to spend the money. . .

The production company is Pilgrim Media Group located in Los Angeles.

Jacob Isenberger, who Twit groped on a bed in a FB photo last year, has been the exec producer for a couple of years. Connie Simpson, whose hometown is Greensboro, is a prod assistant. She pals around some with Twit.

PMG's website used to include the names & titles for all the MBFFL film crews over the years, but I notice that info has been deleted.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, sara1025 said:

Not sure if it's the different style of bottoms but to me she definitely looks lighter here than in the Hawaii episode, I'd be curious to know how much weight she's gained since season 1. Those flower bottoms were disgusting, I'm all for bigger people being able to wear swimwear and whatnot but find something more flattering than flowery skin tight bottoms. The black shorts type bottoms would have suited her much better.

I was rolling my eyes every time she had to hold the buff guy's hands/arms, can you seriously not get in/out or walk in 3 feet of water without assistance? Or maybe she was doing it for the attention since she gets it so rarely from attractive men.

I don't get why she was freaking out about the 8k, all she has to do is give it a shot and if she only runs a mile and can't go anymore at least she can say she tried but instead of that she'd rather not even do it.

This is very random but every time she sits like she did at the beach with Buddy, she reminds me of Winnie the Pooh and how he sat lol. Have no idea why but every time she sits flat that's the first image to pop into my mind.

I feel bad saying it, but there was one scene one the beach and she was sitting there and all I could see was Jabba the Hut.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I understand what you are saying and I agree that there is nothing wrong with generous parents. Many of us have them. But I don’t think Whitney is getting hated on because she has generous parents. She’s getting hated on because she is lazy and ungrateful. Instead of being kind in the face of her parents generosity, she’s being a whiny brat. She doesn’t see it as Glen and Babs being generous. She sees it as  something she deserves and shouldn’t have to do anything to get it. 

It's got nothing to do with the money. My parents beat the crap out of me when I was a kid and wouldn't hesitate to scrape me off the bottom of their shoe like radioactive chewing gum if they thought it would save their own miserable hides. I watch this show and I see parents sitting down to dinner and nobody's screaming at the kids or hitting them. They don't demand perfection or anything else from her for that matter. No matter what she does they seem to be proud of her. I bet she never threw up on the bus because she was going to get bodyslammed when she got home for getting a B, and I bet she never had to ride home with a drunk. Whitney can go shopping with her mother without worrying that her dad will set the house on fire. Two weeks ago I had to call the sheriff on my dad for pulling a gun on my mom. Glenn comes over to Whitney's house to set up boxing stuff and bringing toilet paper, to coach her swimming and bring her healthy food. Glenn takes care of her mom. Every day I live in terror that I'm going to get a phone call about something horrifying my dad has done. Whitney lives trying to think of ways to get out of walks. She can keep the money and take mine too. I'd give anything to have parents like that.

• Love 20
21 minutes ago, zoltana said:

I feel bad saying it, but there was one scene one the beach and she was sitting there and all I could see was Jabba the Hut.

That comparison has occurred to me many times.

7 minutes ago, LordOfLotion said:

It's got nothing to do with the money. My parents beat the crap out of me when I was a kid and wouldn't hesitate to scrape me off the bottom of their shoe like radioactive chewing gum if they thought it would save their own miserable hides. I watch this show and I see parents sitting down to dinner and nobody's screaming at the kids or hitting them. They don't demand perfection or anything else from her for that matter. No matter what she does they seem to be proud of her. I bet she never threw up on the bus because she was going to get bodyslammed when she got home for getting a B, and I bet she never had to ride home with a drunk. Whitney can go shopping with her mother without worrying that her dad will set the house on fire. Two weeks ago I had to call the sheriff on my dad for pulling a gun on my mom. Glenn comes over to Whitney's house to set up boxing stuff and bringing toilet paper, to coach her swimming and bring her healthy food. Glenn takes care of her mom. Every day I live in terror that I'm going to get a phone call about something horrifying my dad has done. Whitney lives trying to think of ways to get out of walks. She can keep the money and take mine too. I'd give anything to have parents like that.

You and me got a lot in common. And because of that, I perceive her very much the same way that you do.  Those of us that had a horrible childhood just want to slap people like her.  

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Hey Dot, I remember Dogpatch, and laughed  at your accurate characterization. Lil' Abner and Daisy Dukes: loved the newspaper comics.

Daisy Mae, not Daisy Duke who was on the TV show, Dukes of Hazard.

I have loved comics since I was a little kid. So much that I once wrote Al Capp to tell him how much I loved Li'l Abner & he sent me an autographed drawing! (This was in the good ol' days when children were sincere before they started writing celebs in hopes of getting something to sell on eBay.)

I even had a Shmoo doll.

250px-Lifeshmoo (1).jpg

Edited by Dot
added shmoo photo
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, Kid said:

Those of us that had a horrible childhood just want to slap people like her.  

Those of us that had wonderful parents want to slap the shit out of her too - but if I get the chance, I'll slap her twice for ya!

It seems to be a recurring theme, in a lot of reality shows, that people sit there crying in TH's about their "problems" - most of which are bullshit. There are a lot of people out there with real problems who have zero fucks to give to these type of whiny brats.

Whitney is always "stressed out" - WHY? She does't have to work at a real job, she gets paid to act like a braying jackass, and before the show, she was a 30-something lazy ass living at home with her parents supporting her! She has ZERO reason to be stressed out that I can see!

Hell, even people who live a charmed life, but have to get out of bed and go to work every morning, have it tougher than Whitney does!

Her big problem is Daddy took her to Hawaii but wants her to walk a little? Go fornicate yourself with an iron stick, Shitney.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, WillowG said:

next show when they're on the marathon

Because I am obnoxiously pedantic I have to point out that it's not a marathon :) A marathon is a set distance of 26.2 miles, while Whitney and the gang will be doing an 8K (4.97 miles, which ends up being 4 miles because the course was short). I thought this was common knowledge until I read a friend's FB posts about "yay I finished a marathon," I looked up her finish time and it was 28 minutes. Turns out the "marathon" was a 5K. Confusion abounds!

Extra credit: "Ironman" is also a specific distance, and in fact a specific branded race by the Ironman company. It's not just any triathlon, it has to have a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. Which, for the record, I would totally attempt for a free Hawaii trip, even though I can't swim or bike. Or run.

• Love 22
32 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Because I am obnoxiously pedantic I have to point out that it's not a marathon :) A marathon is a set distance of 26.2 miles, while Whitney and the gang will be doing an 8K (4.97 miles, which ends up being 4 miles because the course was short). I thought this was common knowledge until I read a friend's FB posts about "yay I finished a marathon," I looked up her finish time and it was 28 minutes. Turns out the "marathon" was a 5K. Confusion abounds!

Extra credit: "Ironman" is also a specific distance, and in fact a specific branded race by the Ironman company. It's not just any triathlon, it has to have a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. Which, for the record, I would totally attempt for a free Hawaii trip, even though I can't swim or bike. Or run.

Thank-you.  As someone who has done a couple of half marathons, I would never say that I ran a marathon.  And when people would say, “oh she’s training for a marathon.”  I would quickly correct them.  I’m not putting down people who did a 5K versus a marathon, it’s just about being factual.   

I am putting down Whitney, not for doing an “8k” but for being such a fucking martyr about it.  

• Love 17
6 hours ago, WillowG said:

On the previews for the next show when they're on the marathon, some shots look like they're cooked lobsters and other ones look like they barely have a tan??

Maybe they filmed bits and pieces of the "race" over the course of several days?  LOL

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Also: calling it a "race" for Sweatney when it's a whineathon. Tsk

• Love 17

My prediction: Whitney will finish the 8k and - in tears - will say how amazing she is and how big her spirit is and how you have to follow your dreams and somehow Buddy and his recovery will end up in her speech. And/or she’ll claim she’s a runner now, just like she’s a surfer. 

• Love 20
9 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Those of us that had wonderful parents want to slap the shit out of her too - but if I get the chance, I'll slap her twice for ya!

Thanks, Sasha88 ?!

Great post, BTW.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Love the "whineathon"!!!

So accurate.  Why is this overgrown toddler STILL on tv? 

Because she gets ratings and comments like these which all translates into advertising dollars.

Last night on my 600 lb life, we had a 700 lb whiner, 1) who can’t get out of bed, 2) who was whining about how stressed she is, 3) who was sobbing that she can’t get any help,  4) who was making every excuse in the book why she can’t do what’s expected of her (just like the promos for the next episode of the Whit show) and 5) who was surrounded by enablers.  The only difference between her and Whitney was that the 600 lb lifer is 20O lbs heaver (if Whitney weighs 380, I weigh 120), and the 600 pound lifer is already bed bound.  The differences between the two stopped there.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 14

Upon inspecting their suite, Donna says, "Dad-wee totally hooked us up" which got me thinking...Whitney and Donna are the only two cast members I've heard refer to Glenn as "Dad-wee" since Season 1. For fun, this episode made me reconsider Donna's role.

I'm likely way overshooting here, but so is this show as a whole, so I just want to go on the record as saying that I think Donna was the product of Glenn and Keiko, and she just poses as a friend for the sake of the big fat fabulous lie. Off-camera (in my mind), she and Whit are half-sisters in a co-dependent/caretaker/fat fetish relationship.

Sure, it's a raunchy, far-fetched theory, but it makes watching the show more interesting with that possibility in the back of my mind, LOL

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, SenshusWoman said:

Upon inspecting their suite, Donna says, "Dad-wee totally hooked us up" which got me thinking...Whitney and Donna are the only two cast members I've heard refer to Glenn as "Dad-wee" since Season 1. For fun, this episode made me reconsider Donna's role.

I'm likely way overshooting here, but so is this show as a whole, so I just want to go on the record as saying that I think Donna was the product of Glenn and Keiko, and she just poses as a friend for the sake of the big fat fabulous lie. Off-camera (in my mind), she and Whit are half-sisters in a co-dependent/caretaker/fat fetish relationship.

Sure, it's a raunchy, far-fetched theory, but it makes watching the show more interesting with that possibility in the back of my mind, LOL

That would make great TV, but seems Donna is around Whitney’s age and I just don’t see Glenn cheating on Babs. But I agree, it’d be hilarious to see the change from Donna, Whitney’s friend to Donna, Whitney’s half sister. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Something occurred to me today. Is it possible that Glen wanted Whitney to fail at the 5/8k? She continues to live in denial about the affect her weight has on her life. Until she can’t do things other people, including her parents, can do with ease she is never going to even attempt to improve. So I wonder if this is Glen’s attempt to get Whitney to hit rock bottom. I wonder if he’s hoping she’ll see that her 70+ year old dad can walk 4 miles with little to no effort but for her it’s a health crisis. 

I get where you're going with this but if she failed, she'd blame Glenn for making her look bad for the rest of her life. 

• Love 3
On 2/21/2018 at 1:00 AM, Sasha888 said:

Whitney's face lighting up like a Christmas tree when Kaui walked in the room made me want to puke. That and the way she went on and on about all the handsome men, and had to beg them to "hold her hand" so she could get in the water....God. Anything to get someone to touch her!

Does she SERIOUSLY think any good looking guy would have anything to do with her? Who the hell would choose to be with someone who basically needs a CARETAKER, not a partner?

I mean, her whole face and demeanor change when a guy comes along (sort of the same look she gets when a nice big pizza arrives)...she seems to seriously think she has a snowball's chance in hell with some buff athletic guy! Is she really THAT delusional?

She needs to get a clue about what dating league she's in. I would be horribly embarrassed if I acted like a giddy junior high girl over some guy who was clearly out of my league.

But, we're talking about Twit - who is obviously not embarrassed by ANYTHING - so why am I even surprised.

She's all "no body shame" until there's a guy with "washboard abs" in the room. She's every obese woman who thinks men should look past their fat and love them and find them beautiful, while being unwilling to do the same.

• Love 15
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:00 AM, Sasha888 said:

Does she SERIOUSLY think any good looking guy would have anything to do with her? Who the hell would choose to be with someone who basically needs a CARETAKER, not a partner?

I mean, her whole face and demeanor change when a guy comes along (sort of the same look she gets when a nice big pizza arrives)...she seems to seriously think she has a snowball's chance in hell with some buff athletic guy! Is she really THAT delusional?

She needs to get a clue about what dating league she's in. I would be horribly embarrassed if I acted like a giddy junior high girl over some guy who was clearly out of my league.

But, we're talking about Twit - who is obviously not embarrassed by ANYTHING - so why am I even surprised.

Oh, Whitney thinks she's in a league of her own. (I doubt more than one of her could fit.) That scene with the guides reminds me of a brief video clip of her in an exercise circle at Will's gym where a few people were doing the same exercise with different weight under Will and Jessica's (his daughter) supervision. A very fit young man joined the circle and Will said (I can't promise my memory of the dialogue is perfectly accurate) "Everyone here knows Isaiah, right?" Whitney, with a salacious smile, says, "No, but I'd like to." Will says, "Oh, he's blushing! He's shy!" Whitney to Isaiah, "So, are you single? Do you like big girls?" Will: "He's single! He's absolutely single!" Isaiah is, by now, literally backing out of the circle, everyone else is giggling hysterically, and the punch line turns out to be that Isaiah is Jessica's live-in boyfriend.

I think this gives a great insight into Whitney's seduction strategy. She has none.

Edited by Ketzel
correcting name from Jose to Isaiah
  • Love 15

I have a friend who is built like Whitney.  Several years ago, I was using a personal trainer at our community workout room to make sure that I was doing the right exercises the right way to maintain and improve my mobility.  I mentioned on FB that I was doing this, and that Derek was a very nice Christian man who was VERY buff and single.

My Whitney-shaped friend responded:  Give him my number!!!!

And a couple of days later she PM'd me:  Did you give him my number?

Given that she lives in Nashville, we live in Phoenix, and I figured Derek didn't need me to hook him up, I just kept ignoring her posts and reminders.  But she was as serious as a heart attack.  

• Love 16

I too have PF stemming from an injury where I sprained every last tendon in my ankle.  I like Sketchers Go Walks and occasionally have acupuncture (needle and laser) treatments.  Highly recommend.  Would not ever dream of toddling around in flip flops.  My Doctor and therapists emphatically told me no flip flops.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

LOL I would find walking an actual marathon to be less tedious and grueling than listening to Whitney's Whineathon. ;)

Every time I watch this show, it's a WINE-a-thon!! Power to the Pinot!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, alabetser said:

She looked like an oversized toddler instead of an adult women. 

Pr1gIis.jpg

Someone mentioned Whitney reminded them of the Sumo wrestler/skater commercial. Now......first off the wrestler can skate. Second, ONE of Whitney's thighs is twice the size of one of his. Her torso is twice the size of his.

Shitney?   If you do not like your father bribing you , all you have to do is say no thank you, you imbecile.

Edited by Cherrio
sp.
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Someone mentioned Whitney reminded them of the Sumo wrestler/skater commercial. Now......first off the wrestler can skate. Second, ONE of Whitney's thighs is twice the size of one of his. Her torso is twice the size of his.

Shitney?   If you do not like your father bribing you , all you half to do is say no thank you, you imbecile.

You are absolutely right. She is bigger than him. I  paid attention to the commercial after someone pointed it out and I noticed that.  He also has a lot of muscle.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Shitney?   If you do not like your father bribing you , all you half to do is say no thank you, you imbecile.

That was me. I think what I was really going for with the comparison was how in the commercial the Sumo Guy is just basically gliding along not really doing any kind of real figure skating while the announcers gush like he’s the worlds best skater. Meanwhile everyone else has that WTF face. Completely reminds me of reactions to Whitney’s dancing. 

• Love 12

I just watched a preview of the race from next episode.  I’m technologically incompetent and done know how to link but if you search big fat fabulous life 5k on YouTube, you should find it.

Highlights include-asking how far they have gone after 1/4 mile, Whitney claiming that she is in fight or flight mode, her admitting to being a brat but saying it’s because she hurts so bad versus it being a regular occurrence, going to give up at the halfway point, UGLY CRY!!!!

I will give her a compliment.  She was actually wearing tennis shoes.

• Love 5

Blisters vs. fasciitis.....hmmmm....I'd have to go with the fasciitis as being the worse of the two. I don't think bleeding blisters hurt as much as PF.  So,  I'd keep on the supportive shoe and let the blister bleed.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SenshusWoman said:

I love it. 

But... Lee is her surname. Keiko was Japanese and Lee is a Chinese name. Also, the age is off. Sadly I think she's just a barnacle. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

I love it. 

But... Lee is her surname. Keiko was Japanese and Lee is a Chinese name. Also, the age is off. Sadly I think she's just a barnacle. 

Donna is Korean. (Lee is also a Korean surname.)

• Love 4

It was not lost on me that the Buddy beach scene was a conversation between two addicts with different drugs of choice. I believe that Whitney wants Buddy to be healthy and succeed, and it's a shame that she can't get the same kind of help he has gotten. I do have compassion for Whitney, as I believe her issues are very complex and that she's in an incredible amount of denial and pain. She's been enabled for her entire life, and this show just serves to continue the trend.

I wondered, what would Whitney think if Buddy got his own show based on his life addicted to alcohol and cocaine, and tried to send the same message about loving himself, calling it a celebration of self-acceptance? Getting healthy and being honest are not goals that develop in spite of loving oneself--they are goals we set BECAUSE we love ourselves, and want to live our most authentic, fulfilling life. Simply, admitting that you're too heavy is not about self-shame, it's about caring enough to get your act together. Which, look, is not easy--if it were, we wouldn't have an epidemic of addiction. And make no mistake--Whitney and Buddy are NO different when it comes to being addicts.

That said, I may be alone in this, but I do genuinely think Whitney is a good person. She just needs a kick in the ass and a good dose of reality. She has not learned to accept life on life's terms, but rather has tried to manipulate the world to accommodate her unhealthy behavior. Like most addicts, she's entitled and doesn't like to be told NO.  In the end, yes, it's her life and if she's happy, whatever, but it's really frustrating to watch it all unfold so sadly.

Edited by SaveLevi
  • Love 6

If you're not standing on the board, you are not surfing.

Ok, I just have to represent a moment for all of the adaptive surfers I've met through the Life Rolls On organization.  They put on surfing events around the country for folks with spinal cord injuries--the vast majority of our participants can't stand on the board due to their disability (I'll let you draw the parallels to Whit's condition yourselves), but they SURF.  And hey, I'm far from a Whitney fan, but the look on her face when she caught that wave was the same one I see on our adaptive surfers' faces--sheer glee.  Now I do agree that one run on a board in an adaptive posture does not a professional surfer make (I've been ice skating a time or two, but ain't nobody seeing me in the Olympics anytime soon), but she was, for all intents and purposes, surfing for that brief moment in time.   /dismounts soapbox 

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Ok, I just have to represent a moment for all of the adaptive surfers I've met through the Life Rolls On organization.  They put on surfing events around the country for folks with spinal cord injuries--the vast majority of our participants can't stand on the board due to their disability (I'll let you draw the parallels to Whit's condition yourselves), but they SURF.  And hey, I'm far from a Whitney fan, but the look on her face when she caught that wave was the same one I see on our adaptive surfers' faces--sheer glee.  Now I do agree that one run on a board in an adaptive posture does not a professional surfer make (I've been ice skating a time or two, but ain't nobody seeing me in the Olympics anytime soon), but she was, for all intents and purposes, surfing for that brief moment in time.   /dismounts soapbox 

While I agree Twit is disabled, I can't agree she is a surfer. She refuses to admit her wgt has disabled her which eliminates her as an "adaptive surfer." (And that look of glee is the same one you see when she views a pizza slice.)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Love 13

Admittedly I kind of fast forwarded a lot through this episode because I'm getting tired of the contrived drama.  That being said, I'm a little confused about Buddy's addiction.  Wasn't the big "reveal" that his drug of choice was cocaine?  When he was talking with Whitney on the beach he mentioned wanting a beer, and not being able to have only one drink.  Which is it?  Alcohol or cocaine?

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Admittedly I kind of fast forwarded a lot through this episode because I'm getting tired of the contrived drama.  That being said, I'm a little confused about Buddy's addiction.  Wasn't the big "reveal" that his drug of choice was cocaine?  When he was talking with Whitney on the beach he mentioned wanting a beer, and not being able to have only one drink.  Which is it?  Alcohol or cocaine?

For him it was both. Even if it had just been cocaine, addicts who want to avoid relapse can't just switch to or use another substance. The brain stem needs to reset its pathways and alcohol and other substances (even nicotine) mess that up. (Simplistic explanation)

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I'm no expert, but, this is my understanding based on what I've been told.  People with substance abuse normally have a drug of choice, and that's what they normally are really addicted to.  They may do a lot of cocaine, but, not drink much alcohol, but, if they get clean, they can't do any kind of drug, including alcohol, because it's all somehow related to the addiction.  Maybe, someone else can explain it better than me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Dot said:

? Then Twit spots Buddy, starts shrieking "Boo Bear! Boo Bear!" & waddles toward him. In her diaper-like swimsuit bottom, with her chubby, lipidemic legs & arms outstretched, she looks just like a toddler taking its first steps.

This has me crying

• Love 9