Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Aloha Buddy

• Start Topic

On 2/20/2018 at 8:13 PM, aliya said:

Well, if Twit actually has plantar fasciitis, I don't know how she's going to do a race. I had it a couple of years ago and it was terrible. 

And from the previews she's doing the "race" in a Pair. Of. Fucking. Flip. Flops!

She's a joke.

• Love 9

Back to the hotel rooms, Whitney’s suite had one room with one bed and another with two beds. Why not put Todd and Tal in that room? It doesn’t make sense for Donna to have a room with two beds while Todd and Tal have to share a bed. The show should just follow Todd and Tal around in Hawaii as they would probably make it entertaining with their happiness from just being there. 

I will admit Buddy looked and sounded better than I have ever seen him. He also did not seem like he really wanted to be there. Maybe he went just for the check because his family paid for his rehab. I hope he really did have a sober coach who just didn’t want to be on camera, which would be understandable. 

So Whitney goes on the trip and then says she isn’t going to run the race, not even 5k of it. She knew the minute she accepted the offer whether or not she was going to run the race but she also knew she wouldnt be sent home if she didn’t. 

• Love 10

Fucking Whitney used that lunch with her family to get on her fat-shaming-victimhood soapbox.  She really has her routine down.  

So the price Glenn had to pay for this trip was that he gets to be the big, bad fat-shamer.  When all he really wants is a daughter who can dress herself.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

And from the previews she's doing the "race" in a Pair. Of. Fucking. Flip. Flops!

She's a joke.

There’s got to be some odd explanation for those flip-flops. The preview shows she starts off with actual running shoes (New Balance brand). But at some point she gets rid of them and changes into the flip-flops. The preview shows Glenn holding the New Balance shoes while Whit is in flip-flops and with her feet taped in a way that those with plantar fasciitis do for comfort. The question, of course, being...why would she remove supportive shoes in favor of ones with zero support, if she was experiencing pain? 

(Another odd observation: You know what Whit isn’t doing while she’s in agony and leanng on a concrete parking lot block? Sweating. Why, it’s as if she’s not actually expending energy, but acting out take three or four until she’s got just the right amount of suffering on display.)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, tdanaher said:

(Another odd observation: You know what Whit isn’t doing while she’s in agony and leanng on a concrete parking lot block? Sweating. Why, it’s as if she’s not actually expending energy, but acting out take three or four until she’s got just the right amount of suffering on display.)

OMG, maybe it's a heat stroke! Or she's going into shock! After all, this is the woman who tells us she sweats while pulling her undies on, so a non-sweating Whitney must be in serious trouble!

• Love 5
9 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

I just watched a preview of the race from next episode.  I’m technologically incompetent and done know how to link but if you search big fat fabulous life 5k on YouTube, you should find it.

Highlights include-asking how far they have gone after 1/4 mile, Whitney claiming that she is in fight or flight mode, her admitting to being a brat but saying it’s because she hurts so bad versus it being a regular occurrence, going to give up at the halfway point, UGLY CRY!!!!

I will give her a compliment.  She was actually wearing tennis shoes.

Actually, that YouTube clip is from her FIRST 5K of a couple of seasons ago in Greensboro.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tdanaher said:

There’s got to be some odd explanation for those flip-flops. The preview shows she starts off with actual running shoes (New Balance brand). But at some point she gets rid of them and changes into the flip-flops. The preview shows Glenn holding the New Balance shoes while Whit is in flip-flops and with her feet taped in a way that those with plantar fasciitis do for comfort. The question, of course, being...why would she remove supportive shoes in favor of ones with zero support, if she was experiencing pain? 

People who are obese suffer from swollen feet.  She probably has no walking shoes that fit her feet

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Mollypup said:

People who are obese suffer from swollen feet.  She probably has no walking shoes that fit her feet

That’s a thought, except that walking makes them de-swell because leg movement decreases fluid accumulation,  not increases it, as she sideway notes when saying her feet swell on airplanes where she can’t move her legs at all. But also, we see her wear those same shoes during those brief SM videos she posted recently, so they do fit in general, plus, her feet are not swollen in the flip-flops.

Edited to edit: I understand that swelling can take place during prolonged exercise in average-sized people, too. But the point stands, there is no reason to expect the reveal that Whit's shoes hurt her so badly specifically because of swelling and/or plantar fasciitis that she had to shove her extremities into the worst kind of footwear she could have chosen for a timed stroll on a modest amount of flat ground, with many, many, many benches along the way to pause and sit on.

Edited by tdanaher
Addendum.
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Dot said:

Actually, that YouTube clip is from her FIRST 5K of a couple of seasons ago in Greensboro.

Well shit!  Eh.  I still stand by comments about the highlights.  

So this dumbass really walks the race in Hawaii in flip flops?!?!?  What a fucking moron.  I will take great pleasure is mocking her.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm no expert, but, this is my understanding based on what I've been told.  People with substance abuse normally have a drug of choice, and that's what they normally are really addicted to.  They may do a lot of cocaine, but, not drink much alcohol, but, if they get clean, they can't do any kind of drug, including alcohol, because it's all somehow related to the addiction.  Maybe, someone else can explain it better than me. 

My understanding is that addiction messes with dopamine and the availability of dopamine receptors.  So switching to something else that triggers dopamine as an award response is problematic, in which case even sugar is a concern. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Dot said:

While I agree Twit is disabled, I can't agree she is a surfer. She refuses to admit her wgt has disabled her which eliminates her as an "adaptive surfer." (And that look of glee is the same one you see when she views a pizza slice.)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

We agree on just about everything, actually!  Whitney *is* disabled, and though she surfed ONE time in an adaptive posture, that does NOT make her a "surfer."  I was only taking umbrage with the "If you're not standing on the board, you're not surfing" theme.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Brooks said:

My understanding is that addiction messes with dopamine and the availability of dopamine receptors.  So switching to something else that triggers dopamine as an award response is problematic, in which case even sugar is a concern. 

I used to go out to dinner with recovering alcoholics after my ACA meetings. The amount of sugar a recovering alcoholic consumes used to amaze me. One of the favorite desserts my friends used to get was a huge brownie, topped by a  scoop of ice cream,  covered by hot fudge and topped with whipped cream.  Even as a compulsive over eaters, I could not have polished off that desert without vomiting. And they used to order it every Friday night as the desert for their meal.

• Love 5

Every time I hear her say she's "training" to walk four miles -- equal to most peoples' normal 10,000 steps a day -- I cringe. You really have to "train" to walk across a parking lot a couple times? 

This show is pure gold and the producers know it. You just can't make these people up!

• Love 12

I just want to point out that either Tal or Todd thanked Glenn for the trip. It stuck out to me because they said it in front of Twit and she said NOTHING! Ingrate!

I suspect that Buddy was referring to the histrionics and the setting herself up to fail as her addict behavior. She's addicted to the pleasure she gets from others doing for her and feeling sorry for her.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Maricopa said:

Every time I hear her say she's "training" to walk four miles -- equal to most peoples' normal 10,000 steps a day -- I cringe. You really have to "train" to walk across a parking lot a couple times? 

This show is pure gold and the producers know it. You just can't make these people up!

Honestly, I think someone Whitney’s size probably would have to train to walk that far.  And that’s ok, you gotta start somewhere.  I would have a lot less problem with her if she would have actually trained.  Start with a reasonable goal and build off of that.  I don’t know what the timeframe was between being told about the race and to actually doing it but I feel like she could have set a very reasonable training schedule.  But since her dad basically forced her to take this trip to Hawaii and do this race, I’m sure he handcuffed her to a chair so she couldn’t train.  Just another thing for which she can claim no personal responsibility.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Just a small nit-pick, but if Hawaii was always Bab's dream trip, I can't believe they never went here before.

I have wondered the same thing, Glenn and Babs seem very financially secure and the way Glenn seems genuinely a prudent person I imagine they have quite a nest egg and that he is working because he enjoys working, not because they need the money.

I mean Babs drives a new Jaguar, so they obviously don't mind spending money on some extravagances and Hawaii is not some hideously expensive place to travel to, it's a place that normal middle class people go to all the time.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, John M said:

I have wondered the same thing, Glenn and Babs seem very financially secure and the way Glenn seems genuinely a prudent person I imagine they have quite a nest egg and that he is working because he enjoys working, not because they need the money.

I mean Babs drives a new Jaguar, so they obviously don't mind spending money on some extravagances and Hawaii is not some hideously expensive place to travel to, it's a place that normal middle class people go to all the time.

But they'd have to find sitters for Whitney. 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Ha ha ha ha, thank you for making my day! 

But seriously, that's not far from the truth and is actually REALLY sad. They can't leave their thirty-something daughter home alone without fearing she'll do something incredibly stupid. And let's get real, she doesn't live with friends because she wants to...she HAS to. There's a real danger she could hurt herself in the shower...fall while walking around the house and injure an ankle or leg due to all the extra weight on it...find herself sitting in a position she can't get up from...and who knows what else.

It's pretty depressing that an adult with their own income (albeit from a shitshow) can AFFORD to live alone, but can't for other reasons. A fall for her could be devastating. She really should wear one of those life alert things. Or wear her cellphone on a lanyard like a necklace - because if she were to fall and be injured even slightly (like a sprained ankle), I VERY MUCH doubt she could get back up on her own.

Add it to the list of the many reasons I'd have already hit rock bottom if I were her.

Marketing this lifestyle as "fabulous" is blatantly irresponsible, IMO.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

OMG!!! ???????????

5 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Marketing this lifestyle as "fabulous" is blatantly irresponsible, IMO.

And this is my biggest issue with her and this show.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

And let's get real, she doesn't live with friends because she wants to...she HAS to. There's a real danger she could hurt herself in the shower...fall while walking around the house and injure an ankle or leg due to all the extra weight on it...find herself sitting in a position she can't get up from...and who knows what else.

Truth. Could anyone actually help her up, though? Seriously. On My 600 LB Life they call the fire department. Whitney is right about there. It's not like she lives with powerlifters ;)

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Brooks said:

Yeah, that's why I always wondered why with AA coffee and cigarettes were fine.  I mean....aren't caffeine and nicotine drugs?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Truth. Could anyone actually help her up, though? Seriously. On My 600 LB Life they call the fire department. Whitney is right about there. It's not like she lives with powerlifters ;)

Ha ha ha ha....oh man. Just when I think you guys couldn't possibly be more amusing than you already are, you prove me wrong yet again. What a witty bunch!

Your post is both hilarious AND true! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, that's why I always wondered why with AA coffee and cigarettes were fine.  I mean....aren't caffeine and nicotine drugs?

But they're not illegal . . . and most coffee drinkers and smokers aren't stealing to support their habits.  

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

But they're not illegal . . . and most coffee drinkers and smokers aren't stealing to support their habits.  

That's a different subject though. The question raised was why a cocaine addict shouldn't drink booze. 

Who would they ever find a sober coach? If only there was a person in recovery that also works with substance abuse treatment for a living on the trip.

In Tal's defense, it's supposed to be a vacation for him so I can understand him not wanting to work on his trip - especially for a fresh-out-of-rehab addict. Plus it would definitely be imprudent (and depending on his license, unethical) for him to take on a friend as a client.

I think it's somewhat about harm reduction. Yep - coffee and nicotine are drugs - but as was pointed out, they are legal (if you're over 16 for cigarettes) and people generally don't have to steal to support their habits or miss work because they drank too much coffee.  While neither is good for you (and of course, smoking causes lung cancer) you're not going to overdose using either one. I worked in both a psychiatric hospital and a detox unit and both allowed coffee and cigarettes from the perspective that those things, while still drugs and still addiction, made it easier for addicts to go through recovery. You can't strip away every one of someone's coping mechanisms at one time and the bottom line is virtually anything can become addictive. If a cigarette and a cup of coffee makes it a tiny bit easier for someone to confront an addiction to alcohol or other drugs, have at it. 

Now I'm dying to try surfing! I also desperately want to shave Hunter's head because that haircut is horrendous.

• Love 8

During the Tiki Dinner after Twit was rambling nonsense getting all defensive about the 8K debaucle, Glenn picks up a glass to make a toast with his wife and children, he says "This trip is primarily to celebrate......"  And Twit cuts him off and screams, "PRIMARILY????????  This is all about your making me do a 5K!!!!!!"  It's all about her.

Regarding her concern about Buddy making it to Hawaii, she comments "Buddy better make it here, I need him here."  Again, it's all about her.

She is a narcissist through and through.  Or as the OP educated us on histrionic disorder, it suits her to a T.  The narcissist has a grandiose envision of themselves.  They don't acknowledge their own weeknessess cause they are above that.

And you know what, Twit.....YOU BUGGY-BOARDED A WAVE (and a miniscule one at that....which you were basically towed into position to ride)...... YOU DID NOT SURF!!!!  

• Love 12
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

Just a small nit-pick, but if Hawaii was always Bab's dream trip, I can't believe they never went here before.

I grew up in upper middle class New England town and My parents and many of my neighbors would go to Bermuda over Hawaii.  It not only is much closer, it was a 2 hr non stop flight from NY but I think the European influence and the very quiet less tourist filled island made it very appealing as the island get away. For people who wanted more activites or a night life I had neighbors that went to places like Aruba, again a closer option. I bought my parents a 25th anniversary trip to Hawaii, only because my dad had been in the Navy and wanted to show my mom where he had been. My mom did not like the trip, she found everything overpriced for the quality and crowded and not relaxing. 

I can see Glenn and Babs being the Bermuda type. I also see them as the type that rents a beach house for the family for 2 weeks every summer. I'm sure Whitney has had many lovely trips but obviously is not appreciative. 

Is there a reason Tal could not be Buddy's sober coach? I thought that was going to be a twist. Tal is an addiction counselor and he does not drink. Are friends not allowed to be sober coaches?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, AUJulia said:

That's a different subject though. The question raised was why a cocaine addict shouldn't drink booze

FWIW, the original question that I asked was which drug sent him to rehab, not why he should avoid alcohol.  It was a big 'reveal' when they said he was at rehab for being addicted to cocaine, but are now solely focused on alcohol.  I asked because we all questioned the idea of cocaine being his primary vice thinking that booze was much more likely based on his behavior.    

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

In Tal's defense, it's supposed to be a vacation for him so I can understand him not wanting to work on his trip - especially for a fresh-out-of-rehab addict. Plus it would definitely be imprudent (and depending on his license, unethical) for him to take on a friend as a client.

I think it's somewhat about harm reduction. Yep - coffee and nicotine are drugs - but as was pointed out, they are legal (if you're over 16 for cigarettes) and people generally don't have to steal to support their habits or miss work because they drank too much coffee.  While neither is good for you (and of course, smoking causes lung cancer) you're not going to overdose using either one. I worked in both a psychiatric hospital and a detox unit and both allowed coffee and cigarettes from the perspective that those things, while still drugs and still addiction, made it easier for addicts to go through recovery. You can't strip away every one of someone's coping mechanisms at one time and the bottom line is virtually anything can become addictive. If a cigarette and a cup of coffee makes it a tiny bit easier for someone to confront an addiction to alcohol or other drugs, have at it. 

Now I'm dying to try surfing! I also desperately want to shave Hunter's head because that haircut is horrendous.

I get the theory, but, what I also find amusing is that when my brother was in rehab for substance abuse, the facility did not allow family/friends to bring CHOCOLATE to the patients.  I'm not kidding.  But, they were allowed to smoke and drink coffee....they were allowed other types of candy, but, not chocolate.  Go figure. 

• Love 3

Hmm, they say chocolate can activate the same parts of the brain as hard drugs...maybe they want to keep those brain areas "inactive" to avoid triggers? This is all very fascinating. I have heard one of the tenets of the Mormon faith (although based on certain TLC shows we can see that not all adhere to it) is that they avoid anything that can potentially become addictive.

• Love 1

She was particularly annoying this episode. I could play a drinking game for how many times she said  buddy and 8k

She probably loved the fact that she was 1/2  naked most of the time. I felt like someone threw acid in my eyes

she got way too excited when she saw the turtle. Surprised she didn’t want to smell it’s breath

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Bubbles1967 said:

She was particularly annoying this episode. I could play a drinking game for how many times she said  buddy and 8k

She probably loved the fact that she was 1/2  naked most of the time. I felt like someone threw acid in my eyes

she got way too excited when she saw the turtle. Surprised she didn’t want to smell it’s breath

LOL, absolutely!  And she just couldn't wait to take off the top she wore when she was done "surfing".

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I get the theory, but, what I also find amusing is that when my brother was in rehab for substance abuse, the facility did not allow family/friends to bring CHOCOLATE to the patients.  I'm not kidding.  But, they were allowed to smoke and drink coffee....they were allowed other types of candy, but, not chocolate.  Go figure. 

Chocolate has sugar; alcohol has a lot of sugar.  That's the connection. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Hmm, they say chocolate can activate the same parts of the brain as hard drugs...maybe they want to keep those brain areas "inactive" to avoid triggers? This is all very fascinating. I have heard one of the tenets of the Mormon faith (although based on certain TLC shows we can see that not all adhere to it) is that they avoid anything that can potentially become addictive.

I live in Salt Lake (not LDS myself). I was told that the original ban on "hot drink" came from Brigham Young's frustration when workers at his whiskey distillery were failing to show or were showing up hungover because of drinking peyote tea. The actual D&C (Doctrines and Covenants) precludes wine and hard drink. Beer used to be considered okay, but over the years practices have evolved to eliminate that. (Local joke: why do you always take more than one Mormon fishing? If you take only one, he'll drink all your beer.) Hot chocolate is one of their faves, as is Diet Coke (the half gallon size from 7-11) although there are no caffeinated soft drinks sold on the BYU campus. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Yes, but Sunnybebe said other candy was allowed.  All candy has sugar so I'm also confused as to why just chocolate was not allowed. Any idea?

• Love 1

If the roles were reversed and Whit was a man ogling over and touching female surf instructors, people would be up in arms. She has no boundaries. She doesn’t want people talking about her physical appearance yet it’s okay for her to obsess over those men’s bodies? She is vile. 

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, Mambo Gladys said:

If the roles were reversed and Whit was a man ogling over and touching female surf instructors, people would be up in arms. She has no boundaries. She doesn’t want people talking about her physical appearance yet it’s okay for her to obsess over those men’s bodies? She is vile. 

EXACTLY. OMG, imagine, just imagine, if a big fat white man was running his hands all over the bodies of lithe, taut *women of color*. That he had hired for surfing lessons. Holy shit.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 18
30 minutes ago, Mambo Gladys said:

THIS times infinity.  A woman should not get a pass for behaving this way. I read some of the comments on her IG account and was horrified by the number of people saying stuff like: "Git it girl" 

She needs to get called out for her inappropriate touching, sexual comments, and overall harassing behavior. 

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Yes, but Sunnybebe said other candy was allowed.  All candy has sugar so I'm also confused as to why just chocolate was not allowed. Any idea?

4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Hmm, they say chocolate can activate the same parts of the brain as hard drugs...maybe they want to keep those brain areas "inactive" to avoid triggers?

26 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

EXACTLY. OMG, imagine, just imagine, if a big fat white man was running his hands all over the bodies of lithe, taut *women of color*. That he had hired for surfing lessons. Holy shit.

In today's #metoo environment, it doesn't even have to be a fat white man; it just has to be someone in a position of power . . . like a news anchor, a movie star, a producer.  Why does Whit get away with things that others are being excoriated for?  Any time the person being touched is not inviting it or doesn't want it, it shouldn't be happening.  Period.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

In today's #metoo environment, it doesn't even have to be a fat white man; it just has to be someone in a position of power . . . like a news anchor, a movie star, a producer.  Why does Whit get away with things that others are being excoriated for?  Any time the person being touched is not inviting it or doesn't want it, it shouldn't be happening.  Period.

True, it wouldn't have to be a fat man. I guess I was trying to point out (ineffectively) that Whitney as an extremely fat women has at least one physical advantage over a male victim of her overtures - she could, if she wanted, lay on them and it would be hard for them to get away. Not trying to be a smartass, just stating facts. Look at how she smothered Todd in that bed in NYC. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Dopamine. 

"Though chocolate is known for its ability to increase levels of the calming neurotransmitter serotonin, it also contains small amounts of a compound called phenylethylamine, which acts like an amphetamine, stimulating your brain cells to release dopamine."

41 minutes ago, Ravenna said:

THIS times infinity.  A woman should not get a pass for behaving this way. I read some of the comments on her IG account and was horrified by the number of people saying stuff like: "Git it girl" 

She needs to get called out for her inappropriate touching, sexual comments, and overall harassing behavior. 

#MeTooHorny

35 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

This used to be called "manners."

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Bubbles1967 said:

LOL ?

Twit says she gets her 2-piece suits from both Torrid & Lane Bryant tho I've never seen her filmed in an LB.

And she says she has never found a maillot (one-piece) that fits, so she wears a leotard from Chubby Cartwheels. I call B.S. on that. All the extra-huge catalogs carry maillots in multiple sizes. I've always worn a maillot with a pair of boy shorts -- also in all the catalogs -- to ensure all my bits 'n' pieces are out of sight.

What Twit is really saying is that she isn't interested in modesty, but wants to flagrantly expose herself, daring anyone to fat-shame her by saying, "For god's sake, woman, cover up."

She is a flamin' exhibitionist.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, AUJulia said:

(Local joke: why do you always take more than one Mormon fishing? If you take only one, he'll drink all your beer.)

Hahahahaha! Same joke in my area, for a different religion!

5 hours ago, Ravenna said:

5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Any time the person being touched is not inviting it or doesn't want it, it shouldn't be happening.  Period.

Yes yes yes! Anytime the person doesn't want it, it's pretty much harassment. Does ANYONE, even one person on this board, believe those poor men WANTED Twit touching them and objectifying them? I highly doubt it.

The example brought up of "If Twit were a man doing this to women" was SPOT ON. I believe a male reality TV "star" would get crucified for this.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Tosia said:

hmm, but in hospitals I've worked in, the patients in the rehab unit routinely ordered 2 or 3 extra desserts and put 5-6 sugar packets in their coffee.  So I'm not sure that's the connection.

• Love 1