Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

Most important: FOOP, LINDA IS DEAD!  (Godspeed Amy Carlson!)  I should have picked up on it when she didn't post ANYTHING from the set this season on her Instagram feed, but when I saw her name missing from the credits, I thought she was bumped down to recurring.  Then midway through I saw where this was going when I swore and fell off my stability ball. 

The scene where Danny finally breaks down about her death was during the New Kids On The Block tour: Donnie came in from Mohegan Sun (2.5 hours away from the studios) shot the scene on virtually no sleep and then did a show that night in Long Island.    Can't say he's not dedicated (though he has sworn up and down he's never going to do both at the same time again.) 

Decent episode, but man, what a downer.  (edit: outside of Baker essentially telling Frank to man up against this "broad."   It only took EIGHT YEARS.)

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 6

Since I'm not a big follower of off-season tv news (or even in season)....I thought I must have missed some major casting news that everyone else had seen/heard.  Linda was my rock, too!  She and Jamie kept the show from righteous overload for me.  At least I wasn't alone in being totally surprised by her death.

• Love 19

What a stinker of an opener. You know an episode is bad when the best plot is Jamie and Eddie and the Nikki scene is one of the highlights. The plot with Frank and the new mayor and the police shooting was just stupid. I mean come on at least bother to come up with a shred of nuance and believable writing. I get that this show will always take the side of the police against anyone who dares to think that maybe they aren't always right, but come on! It looked like even the actors were a little embarrassed by that scene with the new mayor charging into Frank's press conference. And while it was nice to see Frank's staff finally tell him to his face he is being a narcissistic asshole it was wasted on this nonsense that he has to stay and save NYC. And what a waste not really exploring Henry's leaving the office and what happened there. I was glad to see Lorraine Braco getting workm but I was a bit distracted by her face. Did she have bad botox or some sort of health issue?

I can't believe they killed off Linda! The curse of Reagan wives continues. I hope they end this season with a Jamie-Eddie wedding. Another plot were everyone tells Danny that he is god's gift to police work. Hey writers if you actually want to give us some drama and face the reality you've put on page here's an idea for you. Have the twist at the end be that the shrink tells Danny that he is obviously suffering from PTSD, anger management issues , and about a dozen other conditions and that he's suspending him since he obviously shouldn't be on the street!

At least the Jamie plot was surprisingly watchable, didn't require you to turn your brain off completely and might go somewhere interesting. And the family scenes were solid.

• Love 7

Seriously, if Jenny McCarthy wanders in as a love interest for Danny I am out.

I always wondered how or why Linda was accepted by the family. I liked her, but the Reagan's seem so suspicious or dislike the significant others or possible significant others of the various family members over the seasons. I cannot say I blame Amy Carlson if it was her decision to leave. She was not given much to do.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, MarkusXIII said:

I spent the entire first half of the episode wondering wtf was going on. 

Same here. I was confused and wondered if I had forgotten something big in the season finale. 

45 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Can't believe they killed her off!! I swore I missed something!  They did a good job of keeping it quiet.  Danny will go off the rails this season.  She was his rock!

At first, I thought maybe they were separated. I could imagine after something tragic like their house being attacked, they might need some time apart to work things out. I was shocked when I found out they killed her off between the end of season 7 and the start of season 8.

18 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

At least I wasn't alone in being totally surprised by her death.

I was totally surprised too! 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Artsda said:

Wow was not expecting that at all. 

I was so confused because everyone was ok after the fire.

This is why it is best to not invest too much in a TV show. I was stunned at first because I thought I had missed an episode, but for Danny to just subtly mention that he missed Linda was just crazy to the story.  Near the end of last season, my sister often mentioned to family members that she thought Linda looked much different on screen. Perhaps Amy Carlson has a health issue.  I wish her all the best.  If not for Erin, I would probably stop watching now.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 3

Wow.  That was unexpected and depressing.

I guess all Reagan men are destined to becomes widowers.  Once the wives have fulfilled their duties to produce the next generation of Reagans  their time is up.

Totally unnecessary, unless Amy Carlson was the one who wanted out.

• Love 3

I find it extremely hard to believe that Amy Carlson asked off of the show. Although perhaps she asked off in the same way that Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim "chose" not to do Hawaii 5-O anymore, you know, "I want X," "We'll give you 60% of X." "Okay, I'm leaving." "Actor Z chose to leave the series."

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Seriously, if Jenny McCarthy wanders in as a love interest for Danny I am out.

Donnie's father in law was one of the police officers at the crime scene (he's the one who said "Detective".) Most new kids fans would love her on. Us normal folk would break our TVs.

That said I do wonder whose call it was to have her go.  Cost wise she was probably the most disposable, despite the syndication money this show pulls in. But oy, even Jennifer Esposito had a good bye scene and she was booted!

• Love 1

I had to go back and check to make sure I didn't miss last year's finale. Bizarre and disappointing.

New mayor amuses me because the role I know her by is Jane Rizzoli's mom on Rizzoli & Isles. Donnie Wahlberg once guested on that show as a love interest for Jane. So in a roundabout way, she and Frank could've been in-laws.

• Love 3

If they had to get a rid of a character to cut costs, why not kill off Henry or have Nikki move away from New York?  Either of those storylines would have actually made sense!  The house fire would have been an interesting storyline for Linda and Danny instead they just swept that under the rug and the two boys are acting totally normal after losing their mother and their home.  WTF?

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

If they had to get a rid of a character to cut costs, why not kill off Henry or have Nikki move away from New York?  Either of those storylines would have actually made sense!  The house fire would have been an interesting storyline for Linda and Danny instead they just swept that under the rug and the two boys are acting totally normal after losing their mother and their home.  WTF?

I can't imagine that it was done to cut costs.....Blue Bloods was ranked #8 last year, it is a very successful show and gets stronger every year.

We don't yet know why she left.  Her "it's been a joy" post on instagram is rather ambiguous.  Time will tell what the reasons behind this season opening shocker were.  I suspect it was to give Danny something new to do....this show is getting a bit stale, and on that note, Jamie & Eddy need to either get to gether or move on with their careers.  Jaimie needs better story lines.

7 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

If Amy wanted to leave I have no problem with killing Linda. But couldn't they have thrown enough money at her to do one last explanatory episode?        

Totally agree.  It was a sleazy way to treat such a great character's exit.  We've had years of family talk/mourning the loss of Joe and Frank's wife Mary.  But apparently Linda died on May 28th (season finale was on May 5th), a few weeks "after" Danny & Linda's house was firebombed by a drug cartel.....yet we get nothing other than this episode from the writers?  It's puzzling, on every score.  I have a hard time imagining that Tom Selleck was okay with this. 

And not to be catty (okay, a little bit), but didn't Erin look kind of puffily plastic in the episode?  It appears to me that she had some fillers put in her face around her eyes.  I wasn't a fan of that look.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I have no recollection of that at all! Was it during the last episode of the finale last season? I will have to go back and watch it, I guess. 

Yes.  Season Finale (my DVR said May 5).   Danny & Baez were working with the DEA.  The joint bust grabbed the heroin, but the DEA turned the dealer, and didn't go after the cash to try to nab the next biggest fish.  The DEA agent (former cop) was really mad, so she passed Danny the info, and he couldn't get a warrant to search the dealers' boat, but he used an obscure rule re: Coast Guard float plans, and grabbed $18 million in cash....effectively preventing any further drug action from that cartel in NYC.  In retribution, the house was firebombed.  Everyone survived, and last seen the Danny Reagan family was huddled in Frank's house.  Linda:  "We were what made that house a home". 

The perp Danny & Baez were after for Jack's shooting in last night's episode taunted Danny (the pshrink in his office when Danny & Baez barged in) with "May 28th", which is apparently the date Linda's medevac chopper crashed.  So that's kind of a framework for the timing of when this happened.  Obviously not last week, but long enough for none of the other Reagans to mention Linda's death, which I found very odd.  Eddy & Janko were back together again, and I got the impression that they were separated last season for a month (???), so Linda's death may have been more recent, timewise.  So, between a month and four months ago is the closest I can figure.

Hope that helps.

• Love 2

So they killed off the only person who can talk some sense into Danny. Here comes a season of the Danny show. I understand that this is a show about the NYPD, but can the writers please stop making it always seem like Frank is always correct everyone else be damned. I would love a Jamie centric episode, an episode where we find out more about his personality. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I read on another forum that Amy left the show, the show didn't leave Amy.  It was confusing, and shocking and sad.  I will miss Linda.  I have loved Amy Carlson since Third Watch.

I've been watching her since the 1990's on Another World where she played Josie Watts.  It's hard to fathom that I've been watching this actress for nigh on to 25 years.  And she's rocked every role I've seen her play.  RIP Linda.  You were the heart of the show.

• Love 6

When actors want to go, it’s my experience they say so clearly, & for whatever reason. Part of the reason is that fans are inclined to be angry at the show & if it was the actor’s choice, he or she should own it, IMO. 

I remember Amy from Another World too. Amy’s a real pro & her exit message reinforces it. Something I noticed that could be nothing — in a single tweet DW complimented Carlson & Esposito’s abilities. I thought that was interesting Donnie lumped them together & could have been DW’s way of telling us that Carlson did not choose to leave any more than Esposito really did. Again, could be nothing. 

There are several characters it made sense to move along down the line... Nikki, Jack, Eddy... Real money there. I would not have done this to start with, but when you have to kill off a beloved character, a show should milk the goodbye for all its worth & give the fans a chance to say goodbye properly. I think this was shortsighted & tacky. 

• Love 3

It took me this long to realize that Erin's ex is Charles from 'Younger', sigh. On the other hand I recognized Rizzoli's mom before she was on-screen, that voice is quite unique. And of course her character has as much depth and nuance as a silhouette. Wahlberg acted the hell out of his scenes - have to give him that. But Linda's death should have gotten its own episode and not be a B-plot to yet another Frank-lectures-mayor plot. I also didn't like Baker calling the new mayor a 'broad' - shitty writing for one female character does not get better by giving another female character a fake moment of 'girl-power'.

• Love 7

The word that comes to mind is "sloppy".  It was reminiscent of something a series would do if an actor died unexpectedly during the course of the show and they had to scramble to provide an explanation for the character's absence.

If indeed Amy Carlson chose to leave I don't see why, as others have mentioned, they could not have produced an exit episode that addressed Linda's death.  Even though Jennifer Esposito left under less than ideal circumstances, her character was given a proper send-off.

I generally don't subscribe to conspiracy theories but something just seems "off" with how this exit was handled.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, forumfish said:

My guess is something along the lines of, "what can we do to focus on Danny even more this sn?" *rolls eyes*

Silly me.  When this show started I thought Tom Selleck was "the star".  For the past couple of years every time I read the description in the guide, it starts off...Danny blah blah blah.  I am so sick of this Columbo disheveled looking-same tight suit every week wearing guy!  Would the show survive without Wahlberg - I think it would.  Would it survive without Selleck - I don't think so.  Good grief writers/producers lets see some acting chops from the other actors.  I'd like to know more about Baker.  They've highlighted the home life of Syd, and the PI guy.  Why not Baker?   

BTW, I work in criminal investigations and detectives do NOT pick their cases.  Cases are assigned.  Give us some credit.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Silly me.  When this show started I thought Tom Selleck was "the star".  For the past couple of years every time I read the description in the guide, it starts off...Danny blah blah blah.  I am so sick of this Columbo disheveled looking-same tight suit every week wearing guy!  Would the show survive without Wahlberg - I think it would.  Would it survive without Selleck - I don't think so.  Good grief writers/producers lets see some acting chops from the other actors.  I'd like to know more about Baker.  They've highlighted the home life of Syd, and the PI guy.  Why not Baker?   

BTW, I work in criminal investigations and detectives do NOT pick their cases.  Cases are assigned.  Give us some credit.

I do think, if your father were Police Com., you could ask him to assign a certain detective....but that would be a dumb idea to request your brother.  The defense attorney could claim bias...and lots of folks might believe that.

• Love 2

While I realize Frank is the dad in the family, did he have to sit at the head of the table in Danny's new house? I know, I know--- we had to watch him pontificate, but come on. You've just rented this house for Dan and the boys. Let Dan sit at the head.

• Love 11

I know someone who works on the show: they replied on someone’s Facebook post saying Amy wanted more money, show said no, so she left. The show went back into production on July 6th (Donnie filmed the scene on the 7th) so depending when the dust settled for her, the writers were possibly scrambling to re write at least a good chunk of it.  And if they were cutting it really close, no time to book locations for a proper funeral scene.  

• Love 2
On 9/30/2017 at 11:44 AM, Blonde Gator said:

And not to be catty (okay, a little bit), but didn't Erin look kind of puffily plastic in the episode?  It appears to me that she had some fillers put in her face around her eyes.  I wasn't a fan of that look.

Funny, because i think she's looking kind of old.  I was thinking she needed some fillers or something, lol.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

The word that comes to mind is "sloppy".  It was reminiscent of something a series would do if an actor died unexpectedly during the course of the show and they had to scramble to provide an explanation for the character's absence.

If indeed Amy Carlson chose to leave I don't see why, as others have mentioned, they could not have produced an exit episode that addressed Linda's death.  Even though Jennifer Esposito left under less than ideal circumstances, her character was given a proper send-off.

I generally don't subscribe to conspiracy theories but something just seems "off" with how this exit was handled.

I agree, they could've handled her absence quite differently. This was a message to other actors and/or Amy.  I would've wrote her off as ticked at Danny for almost getting them killed and house burnt down. Quit police work or else! She already has some stress issues from getting shot and I think mugged/kidnapped at a free clinic trailer or something. They could've progressed a separation to a divorce with her living out of state with friends or family. It would've allowed writing room and/or a way for the actress to return even if once a year.

Reading forums, not news stories I get the impression she simply didn't want to do it anymore. She was probably asked to stay and said no multiple times. I don't think it was necessarily a negotiation ploy but it ticked off the producers and writers and might have even turned into a game of chicken-return or character will be permanently killed off with no chance of you coming back. There could other reasons like health or yes a equal pay for supporting cast thing and not so much about mega bucks. People leave/change jobs every day. Acting is a job.  Besides money sometimes one keeps or leaves a job for career, location, perception, co workers, change etc but they always look at it as a job, nothing more nothing less, a job.

• Love 2

More & more this reminds me of the Dan Stevens scenario on Downton Abbey even though Dan Stevens was out of there no matter what they gave him. More money & tired of it are why a lot of people walk from contract free gigs well before seven years. I just always think it’s a shame when backstage drama is put out there onscreen with a sloppy presentation. Best to Amy. Good for her for not taking less than what she felt she deserved. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ComeWhatMay said:

More & more this reminds me of the Dan Stevens scenario on Downton Abbey even though Dan Stevens was out of there no matter what they gave him. More money & tired of it are why a lot of people walk from contract free gigs well before seven years. I just always think it’s a shame when backstage drama is put out there onscreen with a sloppy presentation. Best to Amy. Good for her for not taking less than what she felt she deserved. 

Sometimes I think  the producers and actors don't 'get' their own show. I think they misplayed the family dinner scenes because the entire family is there.  Viewers want that scene. The murder and hot button topic of the week can change. Family stability was a constant underlying theme. 

Judging by the lack of publicity about her contract expiring I think it was win win for her. She stays gets a little more money. She leaves which is what I think she wanted to do unless it was really made worth her while. These issues  played out in the final product sometimes don't show up until syndication because they are really noticeable binge watching.  Which is why I wonder why they jeopardize their resale value sometimes.

Edited by misstwpherecool
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

I agree, they could've handled her absence quite differently. This was a message to other actors and/or Amy.  I would've wrote her off as ticked at Danny for almost getting them killed and house burnt down. Quit police work or else! She already has some stress issues from getting shot and I think mugged/kidnapped at a free clinic trailer or something. They could've progressed a separation to a divorce with her living out of state with friends or family. It would've allowed writing room and/or a way for the actress to return even if once a year.

Yes that is how a better written show would have handled it, but this is Blue Bloods. Divorce is not an option for a True Reagan like Danny. Their wives don't leave them for being jackasses. Their wives know they are blessed to be with Great Men, know that acts of giants can't be judged by the same standards of mere mortals, and they just bring the next generation of Reagans into the world then die a noble early death to burnish that greatness with a layer of emotionally distant stoicism that makes them even more desirable. Divorce is only for apostate Reagans like Jamie who believes in Constitutional rights, that they might personally be wrong occasionally, and that they are bound by rules, or Erin (all of the above plus being a woman).

• Applause 1
  • Love 14
On 9/29/2017 at 10:52 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I cannot believe they killed off Linda.  She's been one of my most favorite characters. 

She and Jamie are the only 2 rational members of the family. Now we're just down to Jamie. 

On 9/29/2017 at 11:20 PM, GussieK said:

CBS really bumping off wives this year. First Kevin Can Wait, now this. This one is a serious bummer. What were they thinking?  

CBS isn't looking good. They were already getting flack for their nearly 100% white hires for new shows this season, then they lost the 2 Asian main characters on Hawaii50 due to money, then decided to unceremoniously dump the wife on Kevin Can Wait to replace her with Leah Remini, and now we've lost another actress, possibly again  due to money. And let's not forget one of the CBS stories of the summer was the main cast of The Big Bang taking pay cuts to give more money to 2 of the supporting actresses when CBS is no doubt raking in money hand over fist for that show. What's next, I'm going to turn on Madam Secretary to find out Tea Leoni is gone because they didn't want to pay her either? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

I would've wrote her off as ticked at Danny for almost getting them killed and house burnt down. Quit police work or else! She already has some stress issues from getting shot and I think mugged/kidnapped at a free clinic trailer or something. They could've progressed a separation to a divorce with her living out of state with friends or family. It would've allowed writing room and/or a way for the actress to return even if once a year.

Exactly! This way, they could have kept their options open while still allowing Donnie Walberg to chew the scenery in a far more interesting way.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, rhys said:

While I realize Frank is the dad in the family, did he have to sit at the head of the table in Danny's new house? I know, I know--- we had to watch him pontificate, but come on. You've just rented this house for Dan and the boys. Let Dan sit at the head.

He! Imagine Frank not being allowed to sit at the head of the table! He'd put to shame every Jane Austen lady ever who made a fuss about not been given precedence when entering the dining room!

Also: you're all missing the great story potential of Danny the widower! Romance for another Reagan (since clearly Jaimie is stuck with Eddie in an almost eternal will-they-won't-they dance). And of course that would not be an option with Linda leaving him or even worse asking for a divorce (as mentioned above divorce is not for true Reagans).

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

He! Imagine Frank not being allowed to sit at the head of the table! He'd put to shame every Jane Austen lady ever who made a fuss about not been given precedence when entering the dining room!

Also: you're all missing the great story potential of Danny the widower! Romance for another Reagan (since clearly Jaimie is stuck with Eddie in an almost eternal will-they-won't-they dance). And of course that would not be an option with Linda leaving him or even worse asking for a divorce (as mentioned above divorce is not for true Reagans).

IMHO: before you see Danny the widower doing any romancing, you might see Danny the drunk attempting to drown his sorrows at the bottom of a bottle. I can foresee his situation hitting rock bottom before any romancing takes place. Younger brother Jaimie could be the catalyst to save his older bro.