Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

On September 30, 2017 at 0:01 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

The house fire would have been an interesting storyline for Linda and Danny instead they just swept that under the rug and the two boys are acting totally normal after losing their mother and their home.  WTF?

I don't think we saw enough of the boys to say they are acting normal. We saw them for maybe a minute or two doing their homework, and then excited about having an actual backyard. Given everything that's happened, maybe the backyard is the one thing they've been excited about since the loss of their mother and their house.

We don't know what Jack and Sean talk about when they are alone in their bedroom at night. For some reason I'm assuming they are sharing a bedroom. I would love to know where everyone is sleeping. Do we know how many bedrooms the house Frank and Henry share has? Is Danny back in his old childhood bedroom? 

On September 30, 2017 at 0:27 PM, Blonde Gator said:

Jaimie needs better story lines.

Actually, I think Jamie gets story lines on a fairly regular basis. I'd like to see Jack or Sean get more storylines. Nicki's gotten a story line or two, and now that Jack and Sean are older, it's possible to do some interesting things with their lives. 

On September 30, 2017 at 1:41 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I guess they only want a male dominated show.  I would bet that Danny's oldest will go off to the police academy sometime this season.  

I'm pretty Jack is still too young. I think you have to be older than 18 and have graduated college or served in the military to enter the police academy.

On September 30, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Evagirl said:

I'd like to know more about Baker.  They've highlighted the home life of Syd, and the PI guy.  Why not Baker?   

Me too! She had that amazing storyline in "Manhattan Queens" which showed what she was capable of, and they haven't given her anything nearly as interesting to do since that episode. 

3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Divorce is only for apostate Reagans like Jamie who believes in Constitutional rights, that they might personally be wrong occasionally, and that they are bound by rules, or Erin (all of the above plus being a woman).

Jamie was never married. They were engaged, but she called off the engagement, which is totally different from divorce. 

1 hour ago, preeya said:

IMHO: before you see Danny the widower doing any romancing, you might see Danny the drunk attempting to drown his sorrows at the bottom of a bottle. I can foresee his situation hitting rock bottom before any romancing takes place. Younger brother Jaimie could be the catalyst to save his older bro.

I can totally envision this. I see two scenarios:

Scenario 1: Jamie and his partner are at a bar and they see a drunk. Jamie keeps looking at him. Edie finally asks him what he's looking at. Jamie says there's a drunk who looks just like Danny, but it can't be Danny. It's Danny. 

Scenario 2: Jamie has a friend who's going through a difficult time. When Jamie gets a call from a bar saying you need to come here, Jamie thinks it's his friend, but the viewer gets a surprise (not really) when it turns out to be Danny who needs help. 

• Love 1

I am pissed!  Linda dies off screen?  Linda deserved a major death storyline.  But from reading this forum I guess it was last minute and unexpected that the actress left.

They could have started the episode with a funeral, and explanation.  Instead it was a throw away line mid episode. 

I guess the show runners have an issue with the actress.  But what about the viewers?

It makes my decision to bail on this show so much easier.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bannana said:

I am pissed!  Linda dies off screen?  Linda deserved a major death storyline.  But from reading this forum I guess it was last minute and unexpected that the actress left.

They could have started the episode with a funeral, and explanation.  Instead it was a throw away line mid episode. 

I guess the show runners have an issue with the actress.  But what about the viewers?

It makes my decision to bail on this show so much easier.

I think the writers were more than fair to the actress and the character.  They gave her a heroic death and had they known ahead of time, they probably would have written it totally different.  It's not their fault that the actress or network decided to bail.

Longtime Blue Bloods viewer and forum reader; first time poster in this forum. 

This episode was extremely disjointed.  My sense is that this was (or large chunks of) the original second episode. There were 5 discrete stories: Frank/Mayor; Jack B’s shooting; Danny & Baez’s investigation; Jamie & Eddie’s case; and Linda’s death/Danny’s guilt  

Linda was one of my favorite characters, and Amy Carlson definitely one of my fave Blue Bloods actors.  It threw me for a loop the first time Linda was mentioned to Danny by the psychiatrist.  Last season’s finale gave the impression that Danny was reassessing his NYPD career. The second mention (the reveal of the helicopter crash) gutted me. I felt DW portrayed the pain and guilt resulting from Linda’s death convincingly. 

The family dinner felt authentic, even if the renting the house for Danny without telling him did not   The boys’ seeming normality in light of their Mom’s passing did not seem inappropriate to me. I assume a few months have passed, and as another poster up thread said, Jack & Sean may have shared a room at Henry’s & Frank’s, and have spoken amongst themselves, and very likely with Frank and Henry.  My husband’s dad passed when he was 15, and H. admits he didn’t really react “appropriately” to his dad’s death until his mom passed almost 20 years later.  So that didn’t create an issue for me.

I do wish there had been less storylines to digest.  The overarching problem was that without Amy Carlson, there was no way to unveil Linda’s death without broaching it in the first episode. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kurtz said:

My sense is that this was (or large chunks of) the original second episode. There were 5 discrete stories: Frank/Mayor; Jack B’s shooting; Danny & Baez’s investigation; Jamie & Eddie’s case; and Linda’s death/Danny’s guilt

Lorraine Bracco was always slated to appear in the premiere to set the tone for the new mayor.  But I do agree there was a lot to digest even before they tossed the bombshell. 

23 hours ago, preeya said:

IMHO: before you see Danny the widower doing any romancing, you might see Danny the drunk attempting to drown his sorrows at the bottom of a bottle.

I wish that they would FINALLY explore his time in the Marines and PTSD that was hinted back in the first season or so but fell by the wayside after that.  Losing his wife in a similar matter to what he's probably seen in the field would shake a man up.  That could eventually lead to potential drinking problems.  (makes notes to send to producers on how to map the season out.) 

• Love 2
On 9/30/2017 at 10:22 AM, Blonde Gator said:

Yes.  Season Finale (my DVR said May 5).   Danny & Baez were working with the DEA.  The joint bust grabbed the heroin, but the DEA turned the dealer, and didn't go after the cash to try to nab the next biggest fish.  The DEA agent (former cop) was really mad, so she passed Danny the info, and he couldn't get a warrant to search the dealers' boat, but he used an obscure rule re: Coast Guard float plans, and grabbed $18 million in cash....effectively preventing any further drug action from that cartel in NYC.  In retribution, the house was firebombed.  Everyone survived, and last seen the Danny Reagan family was huddled in Frank's house.  Linda:  "We were what made that house a home". 

The perp Danny & Baez were after for Jack's shooting in last night's episode taunted Danny (the pshrink in his office when Danny & Baez barged in) with "May 28th", which is apparently the date Linda's medevac chopper crashed.  So that's kind of a framework for the timing of when this happened.  Obviously not last week, but long enough for none of the other Reagans to mention Linda's death, which I found very odd.  Eddy & Janko were back together again, and I got the impression that they were separated last season for a month (???), so Linda's death may have been more recent, timewise.  So, between a month and four months ago is the closest I can figure.

Hope that helps.

Is a possibility that the helicopter accident was further retribution from the NYC cartel?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, vast wasteland said:

Is a possibility that the helicopter accident was further retribution from the NYC cartel?

I really hope it isn't.  This is the show that managed to screw up the Blue Templar story line in season 1.  The last thing it needs it's creating a revenge tale. 

On 9/29/2017 at 10:52 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I cannot believe they killed off Linda.  She's been one of my most favorite characters. 

When my husband hollered from the bedroom that Linda was dead, I thought he was joking!  I had to rush to the television to see what he was talking about.  We thought we missed an entire episode or something.  That Linda's death took place offscreen with no Irish wake pissed me off to the highest of pissivity.  I adored Linda (and the actress) for her realness.  If she had to leave, why couldn't they decide that she was sick of being a cop's wife and had grown increasingly tired of Danny and his issues.

But, yes, let's just create more angst for Danny so he can eat the show.  I don't know if I'll be watching the rest of this season.

Like, good grief!  What is it about the men in the Reagan family being allowed to outlive their wives?  I guess Jamie's former fiancee dodged a bullet (no pun intended).

• Love 3

Exactly who is the "star" in this show?  Does anybody know?  To me, the "star" is the one person/character the show could not survive without.

It seems like when it first started, the writers shared the love, Erin got some good screen time, Jaime got some real good screen time when he went undercover, Danny has always gotten good screen time, Frank always get some screen time, but not a lot.  Remember the love interest that they shut down real quick.  Good grief, the woman was young enough to be his daughter!  Why not get an age-appropriate actress to be the love interest?  There are lots of 50-60 yo very attractive actresses who could play his love interest (except for Melanie Griffin  and Meg Ryan who let plastic surgery totally ruin their looks).  I digress.  Frank has to be playing a character well into his 60's.  He has a grandchild in her 3rd year of college.  Also, even Grandpa has had some screen time.  Now it's all about Danny.  We're gonna have to suffer through the loss of his wife AND his home.  We're gonna have to suffer through him (probably) looking sad at the empty chair at the dinner table.  We're gonna have to suffer through him and the shrink.  We're gonna have to suffer through the Dad-talks because Dad lost Mary.  We're gonna have to suffer through the Grand-pa talks because Grandpa lost Grandma.  

It's gonna be at least two seasons before things get back to "normal".  I just don't like Walhberg that much.  He's okay, but every single week building the show around his character is getting a little tiresome.

• Love 6

I think the writers, at least since season four, feel it’s Tom & Donnie who put butts in seats  — & I agree they draw a crowd — & don’t care about much else, see Jamie of that undercover op & Front Page News still clowning with Eddie in Season Eight when they could have ended it quietly in Seven or Six or Five or Four & moved Jamie to Sargeant Reagan with Renzulli as a mentor. With that dinner table, they could have stuck to a girl of the month for him. The family doesn’t like new people. Different kind of status quo they seem fond of, but the writers think Vanessa Ray is Meg Ryan in her When Harry Met Sally days apparently. See that interview after that fish of a kiss last year. 

Letting Amy go over a raise request that I doubt was in any way exorbitant smacks of know your place. Note to other cast members not named Tom or Donnie  — this is a hit show & you are lucky to ride along. Pardon the pun. 

• Love 2

Frank receives an order from the mayor to attend a parade honoring a man who served time for conspiring in an attack against the police. Meanwhile, Danny investigates the return of a teen who suspiciously disappeared 13 years ago; and Jamie and Eddie help a young woman they believe is being exploited by a congressman.

What did we (re)learn this week?

As bad as it is having an African-American guy as your boss, letting a woman to the left of Ann Coulter run things is even worse.
All cops are heroes who should be honored, but half of them can't find their own butts with both hands and a flashlight unless Danny helps them out.
A decent Jamie plot will always be followed by an eye roller.
Be careful what you wish for. Especially when it's more screen time for secondary Blue Bloods characters like Baker. We usually love them because they are great actors elevating what little material they are given. Unfortunately when they get more lines they will be written by the same writing staff that writes the rest of the dialogue.
Minorities are crazy. Luckily the police are there to save us and them.
The old guy who plays Tom Selleck's dad is actually not a half bad actor if you actually give him something to work with. I wonder if he's done anything else?
High ranking civil servants have no grasp of reality or public perception and need their communications directors to explain everything to them until the climax.
The reward Erin/BM gets for almost single handedly saving much of last season is being put on the back burner for the start of this season.
DVRs and FF buttons are wonderful things.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 9

The old guy who plays Tom Selleck's dad is actually not a half bad actor if you actually give him something to work with. I wonder if he's done anything else?

He was in the 2015 movie Spotlight. He had a smaller part as a Cardinal. 

8 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Len Cariou has had a career that spans decades.  I first saw him in The Four Seasons movie that starred  Alan Alda and Carol Burnett.  Check out his IMDB page here:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0137230/

Glad to see Danny and the boys moving into the reality that is their life without Linda.  I missed her at the dinner table!

Had more than enough of Lorraine Bracco on Rizzoli & Isles so not pleased she was cast here.  Good to see a storyline for Baker that gives her a little background.  

• Love 6

I eagerly waited for this show to start. Shocked that Linda was gone. Then missed parts of the first episode by frantically clicking to Season 7 ender to see how I could have missed it.

The second show with Baker suddenly roaring into power was a surprise.  Disappointed in the family dinner. No prayer, Linda had liked them.

Finally, if Tom Sellick is the actor I think he is, I saw flickers of interest in the new mayor.  I think it will be a long long spin out, but it's there.

The dead sister plot was dropped with no real resolution. Why did he do it?  

Same with Congressman John Boy. Why did he suddenly change his mind?

Bonus:  mom from The Torkelsons!  It may have been her real daughter playing the daughter. Same last name. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Len Cariou has had a career that spans decades.  I first saw him in The Four Seasons movie that starred  Alan Alda and Carol Burnett.  Check out his IMDB page here:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0137230/

I guess my sarcastic intent might not have come across clearly in the original post, but yes Len Cariou is an amazingly talented actor with a long and impressive career and one of my longstanding complaints about this show and it's writing is that they waste that enormous talent and experience so often.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, morriss said:

Why does Baker have her knickers in such a knot ????   Both last week and this week she was quite rude to Frank.

I guess the writers decided with Linda gone the female presence on the show needed a boost. So they gave Baker more screen time. Baker having spent too much time around Frank has by cigar-smoke inhalation or some weird osmosis adopted his amazing powers of pontificating - I find it quite amusing. Her dealings with the evidence envelope were a classic Frank-move down to storming out of a room huffing and puffing. (It's also completely OOC but I take my laughs where I can find them.)

I wonder what would happen if the people of New Yorker would finally elect a mayor who needed no schooling by Frank? Every politician on this show is a major a** even John-Boy!

Danny's plot was actually the strongest (color me surprised) - because it touched upon the subject of loss in more than one way. Danny being pushed into the investigation by the neighbor by invoking Linda and his empathy for the mother who just wanted to believe this was her daughter were nice touches. And I quite liked the scene with the first roasted chicken failure.

Too bad we never really got to the reason why the brother decided to con his mother. Since he had told the imposter that it was only for a couple of weeks I had assumed he must have had some financial motives. The motive Danny brought up (guilt) makes no sense. The explanation landed either on the cutting-room floor or will be picked up next  episode. Btw. I also thought that Jamie and Erin's plot ended too smooth, I waited for the hammer to fall on their careers. I wonder if those two dangling plots are a sign of Blue Bloods trying to go for a more serialized narrative?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Glad to see Danny and the boys moving into the reality that is their life without Linda.  I missed her at the dinner table!

Had more than enough of Lorraine Bracco on Rizzoli & Isles so not pleased she was cast here.  Good to see a storyline for Baker that gives her a little background.  

The boys & the burned chicken was pretty good. 

Baker is such a great character, but so underutilized.  This episode was about her extended family, with a minor bit about how SHE chose Frank to be her real Godfather.   She's so smart, and it's truly a shame that she's used almost exclusively as window dressing on this show.

• Love 3

The "writers" of this show just insulted the entire West Indian community. Their ignorance of the reason the parade was created in all the islands is beyond belief. If they did some research they would have learned that Carnival originated in Trinidad and Tobago when slavery was abolished. The labor day parade is a celebration of our history as West Indians. I don't see them saying anything negative about the St. Patrick's day parade.

Jamie does not need to be attached to Eddie's hip at all times. Stop forcing a romance between these two. Watching them is like watching cardboard and paint trying to date.  Also Danny is not a solo cop he has a partner, whom the show seems intent on making a prop for Danny. 

Can Baker go back to just opening doors and hanging up coats? In the span of two episodes she has been relegated to the second annoying blonde. Rant over!

• Love 2

I did a double take at the kids' names — Luke and Leah. Yeah. Cute, show. Shouldn't the father (with a bad case of asthma) have been the villain in that case?

We went from Mayor Diggle to Mayor Melfi. I've missed Lorraine Bracco since the Sopranos!

I like Baker; always have, but her plot was sort-of muddled this episode. Maybe she'll get some better stuff as the season goes on.

I'm curious why they decided to off Linda in the off-season. Budget cuts? Like every other damned show this year, it would seem. Creative differences? Maybe, finally they'll give Sean and Jack something to do, aside from make asinine comments at the dinner table.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 2

re: Len Cariou. This show doesn't have nearly the number of fantastic Broadway actors as Madam Secretary, but I did start a folder over there where we share clips of them singing, dancing, and doing other theatrical things.

Imaginary dialogue...

Tom S.: I am the police commissioner!

Keith C.: I am the president!

Tom S.: I was Magnum PI

Keith C. I have an Oscar for Best Song!

;-)

• Love 1

What really hacked me off with this episode is that we never found out why the brother killed his sister, and what the mother's reaction would be to the news.  Why have a crime that Supercop solves and we don't see the conclusion?   

Len is a Tony Award winner for Sweeney Todd.  That's pretty impressive considering it's not an easy one to win.  

• Love 1
On October 8, 2017 at 8:10 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

Maybe, finally they'll give Sean and Jack something to do, aside from make asinine comments at the dinner table.

I agree. They're at an age when they could have them deal with some really interesting issues. I'd love for them to play out Rear Window with live feed from some type of security camera, or have them be in the wrong place at the wrong time and deal with the fallout or have them try to clear their names (with help from Jamie). 

• Love 3

Was also surprised that Linda was killed off in the helicopter crash. Thought at first that I had forgotten she was critically injured in the house fire or something. Linda was a grounding point in the family at times. She will be missed. Danny seemed to be upset about it a lot more then the boys. They seem to not have any emotion really.

They should either get Jamie and Eddie together or have them both have other loves. i have liked them together since Jamie's stuck up lawyer gf left, really. I know in this and other forums a lot don't like her with Jamie, but I have.

I liked how Baker had more to do today. Her, Sid and Garrett got on Franks case when he was pouting about Mayor Maggie firing him. As someone stated above, I to liked the actress on Rizzoli and Isles. I know with the Linda thing and the whole problem with the police in the news lately he wants to pick up his toys and go home. Was hard to see Officer Olivet resigning. But that is one thing that can happen when you do your job and still get crucified.

Jack being knifed and Erin and Nikki having feelings was a good play. Danny wasn't to happy. Catching Dr. James Weber came off a little to easily too. Thought it would play out over several episodes maybe.

The undercover case with Jamie and Eddy with Ryan Young and dealer Bryce Madairo went off to easy it seemed. Thought the patron that knew Eddy would play a part in it somewhere and put them in danger or derail the undercover work. Maybe something in future will come from this? Decent episode considering Linda is gone.

• Love 1

Erin's trial against a notorious human trafficker is jeopardized when the presiding judge is mysteriously found dead. Danny and Baez are put on the case to investigate foul play. Meanwhile, Mayor Dutton opposes Frank's public safety initiative, but City Council Speaker Regina Thomas devises a plan to help Frank bypass the mayor's veto.

On 9/30/2017 at 3:56 AM, Brian Cronin said:

I find it extremely hard to believe that Amy Carlson asked off of the show. Although perhaps she asked off in the same way that Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim "chose" not to do Hawaii 5-O anymore, you know, "I want X," "We'll give you 60% of X." "Okay, I'm leaving." "Actor Z chose to leave the series."

I can't remember where I saw it, but I read an article a few weeks ago in which Amy Carlson said she was leaving Blue Bloods. She didn't give a reason. I guess I'm the only one who wasn't surprised Linda would be killed off, although the way they did it was anticlimactic. It makes me wonder if there were hard feelings there for her to not even come back for a few episodes to tie up her storyline. 

I liked her but understand why she left. She didn't get much screen time. I wish they would've used her more. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
10 hours ago, morriss said:

Not one of the better episodes.  Kind of slow and dull.

I thought it was the best episode of the season so far. Of course our reactions are not necessarily mutually exclusive!

What I liked about it was Erin getting a lot of screen time, Anthony calling out Danny's selfish attitude and pointing out that he was an a-hole before Linda died, and the scene with Gregory Jbara and Mark Linn-Baker. While Anthony calling Danny a prick was probably more emotionally satisfying that scene of the two of them having lunch was the high point of the episode and the season so far quality wise as it was actually well written and felt like the real world instead of a bad morality play. It was nice to see something that didn't squander the actors' talent for a change. Everything else was kind of plodding and been there done that.

Edited by wknt3
typos :-(
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

Odd that there was no family dinner, no Grandpa, grandkids, Jamie and Eddie. Wonder if the per episode budget is being cut?

There was one. Frank said something that took note that now Nicki sits to his left where Linda used to be. 

This was a lot of "Hey, I know that person from something else!  And what did Tia Carrere do to her face?"  

• Love 4

There was one. Frank said something that took note that now Nicki sits to his left where Linda used to be

I don't think he was referencing Linda.  Nicki said she supported wage equality and Frank said how appropriate it was that she was seated on his left. A lame political joke.

I find it odd that since Linda is gone they split up the families.  Nicki used to sit next to her mother and Danny and Linda and the boys were all on the same side of the table.  Now Nicki, Danny, and Sean sit on one side, Erin, Jamie, and Jack on the other.  

• Love 1
On 15/10/2017 at 0:57 AM, LillyB said:

I thought that Whoopie is a decent actress and works nicely with TS.

I do as well.  She seems to be one of the few that seems to match wits with Frank.  I do have to chuckle at the "outrage!" when she's on the show though. 

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 0:57 AM, LillyB said:

I thought that Whoopie is a decent actress and works nicely with TS.

17 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I do as well.  She seems to be one of the few that seems to match wits with Frank.  I do have to chuckle at the "outrage!" when she's on the show though. 

I think she does work well with Tom Selleck. it's a combination of having the acting chops to not be overpowered by him as some of the guest stars and even the regular cast can be (it's obvious that Donnie and Will Estes are not in his weight class when they have a scene alone with him) and she also has the clout to get the writers to give her some decent material. I can imagine them giving her dialogue more like what they write for Rev. Potter or the mayors and her telling them to get that shit out of here and try again. So she ends up coming across more like an actual ambitious politician than a cardboard cutout of liberal NYC politician who hates cops.

Edited by wknt3
added a couple words that got deleted by mistake
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I would love to see Rev. Potter back, and for him to develop a real relationship with Frank. When his son was killed, and Frank reached a rapprochement with him, I think it signaled that they had something (terrible) in common: that they had lost a child to violence. If this show weren't so black and white, it's the kind of storyline that could be quite rewarding.

• Like 1

Danny and Baez work the case of a detective who was gunned down prior to testifying against a career criminal. Meanwhile, Frank personally investigates when Garrett is attacked by a S.W.A.T. team outside his home; and Erin brings in a confidential informant against Anthony's wishes.