Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Number One

• Start Topic

Somehow I missed that the final 3 episodes of the year would have stand alone episodes for The Big 3.  

Kevin is a full blown mess.  And was a cocky bastard in high school who thought "nothing can go wrong!  Not- AH MY KNEE!" Now he's an addict, took advantage of a doctor (I know she's a plastic surgeon, but she should have noticed how strung out he was, or didn't want to) and at the end, lost the one last thing that belonged to his dad.  Only to made worse the next morning by finding out Kate loses the baby.  

The one moment that stood out in all that doom and gloom was "Ll Cool K."  Teenage Randall was an adorable nerd. 

At the end of the hour I'm like "dammit show, can you give one of the three a break?!"

Complete aside: my sister watched Bad Moms 2 and said Justin was a hoot in it.  

• Love 17

I think this was my first time tearing up at an episode since halfway through last season, but tonight did it.

Kevin on the football field. Kevin being such a jerk but not trying to be. That final scene of Kevin outside Charlotte’s house was gut wrenching. And then the news about Kate? Gut punch after gut punch.

Jack’s speech was overdone. But I need Kevin to somehow get that necklace back.

I knew it. I knew when Kate and Toby kept calling that they lost the baby. ????????

Damn, this was definitely Justin's Emmy episode. As much as Kevin pissed me off, he broke my heart in that football field scene. 

I was SO SCARED he was going to hook up with the high school girl. The last thing we needed on this show after recent current events was for a character to go down for statutory rape. But banging the doc/former classmate just to steal her prescription pads? That was low. Even if he didn't go through with cashing them in.

• Love 22

So fucking predictable and dramatic and yet, when Randall said Kate lost the baby, I gasped. God, did he blow her off when she tried to tell him? That's just awful. I hope he gets that necklace back and gets his life together. 

Nice Big 3 moment as they left the hospital in flashback.

Oh, this is gonna be where Kate and Kevin find out they were triplets, isn't it? I don't think they know.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

I knew it. I knew when Kate and Toby kept calling that they lost the baby. ????????

Damn, this was definitely Justin's Emmy episode. As much as Kevin pissed me off, he broke my heart in that football field scene. 

I was SO SCARED he was going to hook up with the high school girl. The last thing we needed on this show after recent current events was for a character to go down for statutory rape. But banging the doc/former classmate just to steal her prescription pads? That was low. Even if he didn't go through with cashing them in.

Age of consent is 16 in PA.  She looked to be at least that.

That paper script wouldn't be legal at least in my state, especially for fentanyl, but this is TV. When our script writer broke, everyone had trouble with paper scripts.

That was sad, but is everyone blind, is Kevin really invisible. The doctor doesn't see it, his family, his girlfriend, people at the school.  Strange. I see it in people I'm not close too.

I didn't see the miscarriage coming so soon. Was it to set up something else? Why glee for one episode and then it's gone? Was it to take the attention from Kevin?

Seems like the lights will be a fire starter or why show the fuse box?

I liked all the emotion but I can't fathom Kevin in so much pain and physical breakdown and not have anyone reach out.

• Love 13
Just now, bettername2come said:

So fucking predictable and dramatic and yet, when Randall said Kate lost the baby, I gasped. God, did he blow her off when she tried to tell him? That's just awful. I hope he gets that necklace back and gets his life together. 

Nice Big 3 moment as they left the hospital in flashback.

He kept ignoring her calls, but he didn't know that she had a miscarriage, so no he wasn't blowing her off while she was trying to tell him.    I don't think he'd much help now anyway.

Just now, Spartan Girl said:

It's still gross, IMO.

Hey, don't tell me.  I think age of consent should be 18 in every state.

• Love 6

Kate you have horrible timing. Now we still have druggie Kevin. Sorry about the baby but I wasn't really invested because she was only pregnant for like 2 episodes.

They really do want us to hate Kevin. Talk about rock bottom. Hopefully he does get help. Or sobers up for Kate. 

Glad Milo got to interact with one of the adult cast members again.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, notcreative enough said:

Kate you have horrible timing. Now we still have druggie Kevin. Sorry about the baby but I wasn't really invested because she was only pregnant for like 2 episodes.

They really do want us to hate Kevin. Talk about rock bottom. Hopefully he does get help. Or sobers up for Kate. 

Glad Milo got to interact with one of the adult cast members again.

I can't hate Kevin for getting addicted to drugs.  It's not like he did it on purpose. I did kind of hate teen Kevin, though.  

• Love 13

Okay.  That was blatant manipulation.  Blatant I tell you.  And I tell myself that but it doesn't stop the tears.

That Charlotte.  Geez, that's some crackerjack doctor right there, huh?

I'm going to go to a happy place now, the beginning of the episode where Kevin took a bite of a burger, and it looked like an In-N-Out burger.  I would really, really like an In-N-Out burger right now.  Too bad I don't live anywhere near somewhere that has In-N-Out. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

And all of Kevin's breakdowns tonight were the most actor-y actor scenes I've ever seen. They all just felt so fake to me. 

Ooof yes, that scene with just him on the football field had me cringing. Too melodramatic and soap-y. 

Idk ...I like Kevin well enough when he's with Kate or Randall- heck even Sophie. But I did not enjoy an entire episode focused on The Addiction. Watching him very clearly spiral downward while none of his family members, friends (assuming he has them- they've never really said), or coworkers notice anything anything is wrong just rings false to me. I know that some people can hide their addictions very well for years (hey look at Nurse Jackie!) but he doesn't seem to be one of them. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 13
Just now, Duke2801 said:

Ooof yes, that scene with just him on the football field had me cringing. Too melodramatic and soap-y. 

Idk ...I like Kevin well enough when he's with Kate or Randall- heck even Sophie. But I did not enjoy an entire episode focused on The Addiction. Watching him very clearly spiral downward while none of his family members, friends (assuming he has them- they've never really said), or coworkers notice anything anything is wrong just rings false to me. I know that some people can hide their addictions very well for years (hey look at Nurse Jackie!) but he doesn't seem to be one of them. 

Come on. I think Martina noticed something was wrong.  But, seriously, being bi-coastal I just don't think he's spending enough time with any one person.  I think if he hadn't broken up with Sophie, she would have noticed. She seemed close to noticing something.  Kate thought something was off, but she was excited/nervous about her pregnancy.

• Love 10

Teens can be annoying.  Kevin at the football scout meeting was acting like a jerk.   When they went to randals math thing I thought Kevin was joking about his fans in the stands.  

I don’t think he slept with the doctor to get her prescription pad.  He just found it and acted like an addict.   Charlotte was living out her teenage fantasy and said so.   She wasn’t going to notice anything.    Surely  the people  at the high school at least noticed his drinking.    Thought that was why young girl who looked like Sophie asked him to party.  

I thought it was interesting that Kevin went to Randall for help.  I wish he had actually gotten help.   I don’t enjoy addict Kevin.  

• Love 14

So we find out more pieces of the puzzle of the Pearsons:  we find out Kevin was born 1st and the 1st to reach childhood milestones like walking.  We find out how & when Kevin got his father's necklace.  We find out Randall got Ivy League scholarship offers.   In an episode filled with 'doom&gloom" there were some nice family moments, like when the family was playing football together out on the lawn, and when the Family left the hospital together & Randall gave Kevin a fist bump.  I liked how the lady Doctor said that Kevin & Kate were inseparable in High School. 

• Love 7

This definitely is the Kevin episode..and it felt like a pity party except that football field speech was a cry for help.....I wonder if he was almost going to have a "God Grant Me" moment on that field.

I was wondering about the Script pad and how legal that is.  It is amazing that everyone really only sees what they want to see.

• Love 2

I am not a Kevin fan, so I found this one slow-going, especially when he felt the need to recap all the shitty things that have happened to him and all the crap he's done to mess up his life. We know, Kev. We've been watching the show for over a year now. Yes, the broken knee permanently derailed his dreams of grid iron glory, I get that. But he had so many other opportunities after that, and he seriously acted sometimes like he didn't understand that not everyone gets to do what he does for a living. Number One certainly has a way of treating the people in his life like Number Two.

I was also scared that he had Roy Moored the young high school student, but I guess he realized the plastic surgeon's prescription pad was more of a score.

This show is playing with my mind. I'm beginning to think at one time I watched a show called "The Manny."

• Love 11

How has nobody yet noticed what a mess Kevin is? The doctor, the coach, Randall? It's so incongruous that his family nickname is #1 but he's being treated like a middle child in every way.

In his football field monologue Kevin said he "got up" just in time to bury his father, so is that a hint as to the timeline of Jack's death? Like three or four months, is that how long it takes to lose the cast and walk again after an injury like Kevin's? He was still wearing the cast the night the house burned down, so maybe that's a hint that Jack didn't die that night.

I knew Kate would lose the baby. She was only ten weeks along in the last episode. That's still the first trimester, ie. highest risk of miscarriage.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, stonehaven said:

This definitely is the Kevin episode..and it felt like a pity party except that football field speech was a cry for help.....I wonder if he was almost going to have a "God Grant Me" moment on that field.

He may not have had it on the field, but he did have it on Charlotte's lawn, which I thought was actually really well done.

• Love 15
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

He may not have had it on the field, but he did have it on Charlotte's lawn, which I thought was actually really well done.

Yeah, she was really cold and angry but she had to know as creepy as he was, it was a one night thing. And she was blind to his sweating and behavior as a doctor? Not believable.

I wonder if Jack dies later, since Kevin has to lose the cast and get back on his feet? If the fire happened before, he might have had to go there for something or started to drink again because of the stress.

• Love 5
Just now, mtlchick said:

You don't know how bad how I want a scene set in 1999 with "Candy" playing in the background.  

Oh, I'm DYING for that. It would never happen, but I would love that.

However, more realistically, I could see a Jack/Kate scene that uses "Have A Little Faith in Me." I always liked Mandy's cover of that, and that is a song I can see playing on this show.

• Love 6
Just now, debraran said:

Yeah, she was really cold and angry but she had to know as creepy as he was, it was a one night thing. And she was blind to his sweating and behavior as a doctor? Not believable.

I wonder if Jack dies later, since Kevin has to lose the cast and get back on his feet? If the fire happened before, he might have had to go there for something or started to drink again because of the stress.

It seems like she might have wrote off Kevin looking sick because of her dream to be with him. It sucks, but I can see that being the case. People can often be blind in favour of their own feelings. I think she wanted to believe that he would want to be with her. Which is awful on her end if she was partially using him to fulfill her own fantasies (I got that sense when she talked about everyone loving him in high school), but he also ended up unintentionally using her for drugs. 

We don't know exactly when the fire happens. It could have happened just before Kevin was set to take his cast off. So, if that's the case, then him not having a cast on for the funeral would make sense. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Props to the makeup department for making Kevin look absolutely terrible. How people couldn't see his spiral, I have no idea. He looked and acting all wrong. He was rude and downright cruel, all because his mind was focused on his next fix. He's not holding it together, it's clear he's avoided taking Kate's calls to save her the pain of seeing him like this, but he's so alone. He's almost hit rock bottom here, and the sad part is that the moment he realizes he needs to tell someone, Kate loses the baby so that gets in the way. I know that they might be saving Kevin's true rock bottom moment (possibly attempted suicide/accidental overdose) for the finale, but damn if that doesn't suck.

We're not supposed to like Kevin when he's like this, and I appreciate that they're allowing for this ugly, ugly side to be shown of a main character. Unfortunately, this is the side we see most often from Kevin, while Kate and Randall get more shining moments. However, the scene with him on the football field, narrating his life was...wow. I felt that Kevin, in that moment, was his own worst critic. I don't think anyone hates Kevin more than Kevin does. 

As for the flashbacks, he was pretty shitty to the college coach, and Jack was trying to do something really nice for Kevin. It was nice to see Kevin finally apologize at the end. I think all he's wanted was his dad's attention, love, and approval. He was a brat, but a realistic teenager, with how he treated his dad. He was angry at Jack being an alcoholic, but he also admired him too much. It does suck that Jack chose Randall over Kevin with the college tour, but I don't think it was an important game (maybe I'm wrong) so Jack not being there is fine. He can't be at every game. I did like how Kevin saw a glimpse of Jack's AA recovery. I think it helped open the door to understand his dad.

This is THE best episode since Memphis. Personally, since I wasn't a huge fan of William, this is my favourite episode of the series over Memphis, but I also love the centric episode about Kevin. It's about damn time. 

I think what I like about this addiction storyline is that they're not just wrapping it up in six episodes, nor are they tip toeing around the realism with it. Most often, shows are afraid to really go for it, or they rush it. This show has really taken its time and although it's frustrating because we want to see the end to it, I love how they're handling it, and I have no doubt it won't be all season for Kevin to get help. 

I totally get that this could be a polarizing episode, whether or not you like Kevin. Since I'm a huge fan of Kevin, a fan of how they've handled the story, and realize that Kevin's supposed to be unlikable and trying to get his life together, I'm fine with how they're dealing with this. 

All of this. I really hope they dont go the overdose route, but if they do, man I really hope they don’t attach it to Randall. Because I can totally see them having Randall find him and let me tell you from experience, that messes you up. And Randall already has such issues with anxiety. Its going to take down both Pearson Brothers. They’re all going to relive those moments where Kevin has already tried to reach out for help. Especially Randall. Oh man, this show cant resist a storyline like this, Kevin is going to OD.

As the oldest sibling in my family, I totally get the self-loathing Kevin is going through. Its hard being the oldest and adding in a drug addiction, I couldnt even imagine.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 7

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I normally despise the song "Lonesome Loser" by Little River Band....but loved they played it in the context of Kevin walking through the school..even if the musical reference was about ten years out of date.

• Love 21

Yes, Kevin was a brat as a teen. But watching him spiral down into his addiction as an adult hit me.  I can see how he might come across as an ass, but actually, I found it pretty realistic as someone who has struggled with addiction. So sad when you just want help, but don't know how to reach out...and no one seems to notice you're suffering.  I was on the verge of tears the entire episode, but held it together. Then the ending just pushed me right over the edge.  I was actually not expecting that.  I'm sure it will play beautifully into the story somehow, of course.

• Love 19

It's getting pathetically hilarious how nobody cares/can tell that Kevin is spiraling. Maybe he will end up dead but it better not interrupt Randall's ep! I loved the twist with the plastic surgeon. I thought for sure she was going to be like Kevin, you're drinking so much... and be that outside perspective... seeing the real him when the people closest to him can't. But she turned out to only be hitting on him. Ha!

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So did I.  Seeing Kevin begging for help like that was wrenching, and hit a little too close to home.  People around can tell he's distracted, but no one sees just how much he's falling apart.  Thought the final scene would parallel last season when Randall had the breakdown and Kevin found him.  

Also confused that Kevin has been around several medical professionals and none of them have a clue about his addiction.  Or anything, for that matter.  

The show kept saying that this would be when Kevin hit rock bottom, so I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing when it came to "wanna party?" bit.  Definitely seemed like Kevin would hook up with the teenage girl instead of Charlotte.  And while she's under no obligation, I hope Charlotte sends the necklace back, assuming she has it.

At least Kevin realizes that he's been incredibly fortunate in his life.  Blessed with athletic talent.  Got the girl of his dreams.  When football fell through, he got cast in a hit TV show, then a major film.  Got a second chance with the dream girl.  And so on.  Maybe that's why he's so reluctant to ask for help?  He already knows he's been given a lot.

Or was it seeing his father at a weak moment?  Kid Kevin looked like he was going to cry when he saw Jack doing the Serenity prayer.  He was so disgusted by Jack so he might not want to end up like him.

Again, must give credit to the casting agents, because the younger versions even sound like the older ones.  I thought Justin had dubbed his lines over Logan (younger Kevin) at one time.

That "These Days" cover was terrible, imo.  Should have just used Nico's version.

Great episode for Kevin.  

• Love 13

ARGHHH!! No Randall, you don't know everything! So close, Kevin was so close, to his 1st of 12 steps: admittance. Now, without a shadow of doubt, Kevin will go back fading to big brother role, tending to other siblings' needs above his own. As an oldest of many kids and grandkids, this really hits home. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, stonehaven said:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I normally despise the song "Lonesome Loser" by Little River Band....but loved they played it in the context of Kevin walking through the school..even if the musical reference was about ten years out of date.

Try nearly 20 years. I love 70's music, but man I really wish this show would explore some of the great stuff that came out of the 90's. "Popular" by Nada Surf would have been a great song for that moment. Or "My Hero" by the Foo Fighters.

I'm going to borrow a quote from The Breakfast Club: "But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions."

Basically, Kevin is seen by his high school and hometown as the Hometown Hero Golden Boy who made good. Nothing, and I mean nothing, was going to make them not see him that way.

• Love 19