Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/30/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

The more I watch Meghan "Nepotism" McCain the more I dislike her on this show. While nepotism is rampant in the news industry (Hello NBC) I feel that it is too bad that the View has gone this route. I've always believed that even very famous people have a conflict of interest with this sort of show because their friends tend to be the "hot topics". But, like i've stated many times on this board, the premise of the show is 5 different women of different ages. More importantly, the idea is a group of friends discussing the days events. Watching Meghan is like watching crossfire. She has made no effort to be friendly toward the other women and cultivate a relationship with them.

And why does she think she's an expert on politics? She isn't more informed than Joy or Sunny! I suppose I find her particularly annoying because I don't believe that she is a conservative. I remember when John McCain ran for president in 2008. Meghan made huge proclamation where she announced that she was joining the Republican Party in honor of her father. She discussed the fact that she didn't agree with a lot of Republican policies and was liberal on social issues. She was a surrogate for her father trying to get young people into his campaign (as most young people were in the Obama camp). When President Obama won - Fox news did a couple of stories on Meghan because she made some controversial statements. The conventional wisdom was that she missed the attention she got when she was on the campaign and was trying to extend her exposure.

So color me surprised when, 8 years later, Meghan decided to cash in a Republican pundit. I suppose it's quite a lucrative career - spouting Republican talking points- but i believe that's why it sounds so rehearsed - because it is not genuine. I feel sorry that Jedidiah (sp?) who I do believe really had conservative view points was booted from the show. And I think it's too bad that the precedent that the View is starting.

And mostly, I don't like how she treats Sunny. She always cuts her off and doesn't let her finish her point.

• Love 16

I have a question -- supposedly one of the contractual conditions Whoopi demanded this year was a position of executive producer. Does anyone know if she is?  I can't find anything on google and never remember to read the closing credits.

37 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

What was going on with Whoopi today?  She was having so many pauses and stumbles, I was wondering if she was about to have her own Wendy Williams moment.

I only watched till the 1st commercial break, or maybe the 2nd, but when she was reading the cue card, which was in her hand, she held it over to Sara to read a number for her. I know she has dyslexia, but is it getting worse? Or just worse with, maybe, numbers?

17 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

But, like i've stated many times on this board, the premise of the show is 5 different women of different ages. More importantly, the idea is a group of friends discussing the days events. Watching Meghan is like watching crossfire. She has made no effort to be friendly toward the other women and cultivate a relationship with them.

She doesn't seem friendly with them at all. What was she like yesterday? Any better?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Catnip said:

I have a question -- supposedly one of the contractual conditions Whoopi demanded this year was a position of executive producer. Does anyone know if she is?  I can't find anything on google and never remember to read the closing credits.

In the credits it does say producer...

1 hour ago, bannana said:

When they were talking about Robert E. Lee, MM was once again trying to school them, saying that this is Trump's brilliant strategy to throw red meat to the base.  She's not wrong, but she should drop the daily schooling.  And, the point the others were making is you cannot ignore these distractions either, and what they didn't say is, by discussing the facts, they may be schooling some of their viewers.  Too bad Whoopi is so inarticulate and also has to hog the entire conversation.

I would have more respect for MM if she called the Trump base out for taking the red meat bait and allowing themselves to conned by it.  I would like it if she questioned why Trump supporters are willing to ignore the fact they are being conned all because of "party unity".  MM's father and several other Republicans have called out 45 on his "red meat" game.  MM could still be a conservative voice without defending the Trumpster talking points.  I think she would be more successful and earn respect if she did.

• Love 11

Watching Meghan is like watching crossfire. She has made no effort to be friendly toward the other women and cultivate a relationship with them.

She has said many tines, Sunny and I were talking, or Sara and I talked before the show, so I think on camera she comes across differently.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

She has said many tines, Sunny and I were talking, or Sara and I talked before the show, so I think on camera she comes across differently.

But I wonder if that's like in friendship mode, or because they're going over the points they're going to discuss on the show.

• Love 1
Just now, Silver Raven said:

But I wonder if that's like in friendship mode, or because they're going over the points they're going to discuss on the show.

I don't know, I can't tell. But sometimes it has nothing to do with the show at hand. Its an off the cuff remark.. I don't think they are best buddies anyway( any of them) I remember Joy and Elizabeth saw one another off set, and that was pretty hard to comprehend...

I guess if you are Conservative , you are more likely to get along politically...and vice versa 

Meghan confuses me. Was her point that Kelly's racist remarks (an appeal to the base) shouldn't distract from the real issue - Russia's meddling? Trump's admin is bad on so many levels. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What was going on with Whoopi today?  She was having so many pauses and stumbles, I was wondering if she was about to have her own Wendy Williams moment.

Didn't Wendy faint? whats Whoopi's  excuse? She cant read the prompter or the cue cards , its annoying!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, NeverLate said:

Didn't Wendy faint? whats Whoopi's  excuse? She cant read the prompter or the cue cards , its annoying!

There was more than that, she was fumbling for words and trailing off as if she couldn't think of what the next sentence was going to be.

It's getting uncomfortable just how much Whoopi hates Sunny. Too bad Sunny is more professional, educated, and articulate than Whoopi can ever hope to be.  Miss Valley Girl talk, rolling her eyes and looking to the audience when bored, openly saying "I don't care" about topics that bore her can have several fucking seats.  Sunny should do exactly what she did today - keep it light, brush it off and don't take the bait because you know it's killing Whoopi even more.

Megsplanation of the day: "Obama and the progressive world leaders who wanted open borders all got voted out". Where do I even begin with how absurd and inaccurate that is? I didn't realize Barack Obama got voted out, Survivor style. She's getting worse day by day.

• Love 17

I liked that Sunny and Whoopi were both trying to explain the hypocrisy when a Muslim does something (and it's usually one who isn't practicing) and a white guy. Terrorism is terrorism, except if you're white which is a huge problem. It's the same thing with the African American community too, if a cop kills someone people want to focus on other things but if a black guy kills a cop then we just need to look at this issue and nothing else.  It also ties into their political correctness topic, because those that keep talking about how we have too much political correctness are those who come from privileged and those marginalized are saying, "No no."

Whoopi was rude with the rolling eyes thing.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, NeverLate said:

I don't disagree with MM she opened the doors and vetting was minimal. People living in Germany were surprised she got in again.Voter turnout wasn't good,

As for putting up barriers so bike lanes are safe, the terrorist will just go elsewhere. We had an attack a month ago, he waited outside a football game, then mowed people down. I don't know what the answer is, I really don't. But being here, or the US for 7 Years, and laying in wait before they strike, is their MO.

The clip of Wendy Williams was odd, fainting on set like that.

Nothing I read leading up to the election suggested people expected Merkel to lose re-election.  She's the strongest check on Putin in Europe, as well as the anti-immigrant, populist wave from the U.S. to Europe.  It's believed that Trump actually strengthened her re-election chances.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, thejuicer said:

It's getting uncomfortable just how much Whoopi hates Sunny. Too bad Sunny is more professional, educated, and articulate than Whoopi can ever hope to be.  Miss Valley Girl talk, rolling her eyes and looking to the audience when bored, openly saying "I don't care" about topics that bore her can have several fucking seats.  Sunny should do exactly what she did today - keep it light, brush it off and don't take the bait because you know it's killing Whoopi even more.

I think the fact that Sunny doesn't argue with Whoopi or try to out yell her or over her, but most times, quietly accedes to Whoopster, may be why Sunny won't be ousted. Plus, she's the ONLY legal BRAIN on this panel. And it probably irks Whoopi that  Sunny won't rise to the bait.

6 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

Regarding Sunny and Whoopi, it's interesting that they switched Sunny and Sara when they added Meghan. 

Nope. The new seating was there when the season opened. And we all speculated it might be because of Sara's penchant for punching/slapping Joy in the arm. We kid! We kid! We don't know why the seating changed.

• Love 8

My favorite moment of the day was Meghan saying there's noooo way Merkel gets re-elected because yadda yadda some slobbering Islamophobic tantrum she delivered. I ended up laughing and thinking to myself, she's going to be pissed when she gets corrected online later and realizes Merkel already won a while back. But Miss Know-It-All needs to explain so much to the unknowing View panel, you guys!

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

My favorite moment of the day was Meghan saying there's noooo way Merkel gets re-elected because yadda yadda some slobbering Islamophobic tantrum she delivered. I ended up laughing and thinking to myself, she's going to be pissed when she gets corrected online later and realizes Merkel already won a while back. But Miss Know-It-All needs to explain so much to the unknowing View panel, you guys!

Whoopi was also corrected, about Abe and slavery. I didn't think either of them took it badly though..( shrug ) 

46 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Nothing I read leading up to the election suggested people expected Merkel to lose re-election.  She's the strongest check on Putin in Europe, as well as the anti-immigrant, populist wave from the U.S. to Europe.  It's believed that Trump actually strengthened her re-election chances.

She was polling quite low, then it said she'd win, but lose seats.

3 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

The more I watch Meghan "Nepotism" McCain the more I dislike her on this show. While nepotism is rampant in the news industry (Hello NBC) I feel that it is too bad that the View has gone this route. I've always believed that even very famous people have a conflict of interest with this sort of show because their friends tend to be the "hot topics". But, like i've stated many times on this board, the premise of the show is 5 different women of different ages. More importantly, the idea is a group of friends discussing the days events. Watching Meghan is like watching crossfire. She has made no effort to be friendly toward the other women and cultivate a relationship with them.

And why does she think she's an expert on politics? She isn't more informed than Joy or Sunny! I suppose I find her particularly annoying because I don't believe that she is a conservative. I remember when John McCain ran for president in 2008. Meghan made huge proclamation where she announced that she was joining the Republican Party in honor of her father. She discussed the fact that she didn't agree with a lot of Republican policies and was liberal on social issues. She was a surrogate for her father trying to get young people into his campaign (as most young people were in the Obama camp). When President Obama won - Fox news did a couple of stories on Meghan because she made some controversial statements. The conventional wisdom was that she missed the attention she got when she was on the campaign and was trying to extend her exposure.

So color me surprised when, 8 years later, Meghan decided to cash in a Republican pundit. I suppose it's quite a lucrative career - spouting Republican talking points- but i believe that's why it sounds so rehearsed - because it is not genuine. I feel sorry that Jedidiah (sp?) who I do believe really had conservative view points was booted from the show. And I think it's too bad that the precedent that the View is starting.

And mostly, I don't like how she treats Sunny. She always cuts her off and doesn't let her finish her point.

Even a few years ago, she would appear on Rachel Maddow's show -- they even went to an NRA convention! She has long been openly pro-choice and pro-marriage equality, and was on this very show years ago denouncing the Congressman who yelled "You Lie!" during an Obama State of the Union Address. 

I don't know if it's being at FOX, or being told by producers that her role is to be "the conservative who fights with everyone", but more often than not she speaks like she's playing a role. Sometimes I think we get what the real Meghan thinks, like last week when she bemoaned people for confusing journalism with punditry.

Nicolle Wallace was out of her element when they had  the pop culture conversations, but she was often the only person at the table who had worked at the White House! I don't know what they were thinking when they replaced her with DJ Tanner.

Rep. Jackie Speier has a hell of a back story -- the woman was shot at Jamestown! Every time the GOP tries to do an abortion ban she reminds them all she had an ectopic pregnancy and would have died under what they are proposing! -- and I enjoy her even though I live nowhere near her district.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

Even a few years ago, she would appear on Rachel Maddow's show -- they even went to an NRA convention! She has long been openly pro-choice and pro-marriage equality, and was on this very show years ago denouncing the Congressman who yelled "You Lie!" during an Obama State of the Union Address. 

I don't know if it's being at FOX, or being told by producers that her role is to be "the conservative who fights with everyone", but more often than not she speaks like she's playing a role. Sometimes I think we get what the real Meghan thinks, like last week when she bemoaned people for confusing journalism with punditry.

She's totally playing a role and maybe that's why she's so stiff.  She's not dressing in her personal style.  And has she even once mentioned her breasts and how she's a Republican who loves sex?  That's her shtick and her brand.  I'm sure she's getting paid well for this gig, but it's also damaging a brand that she's worked long and hard on.

Rep. Jackie Speier has a hell of a back story -- the woman was shot at Jamestown! Every time the GOP tries to do an abortion ban she reminds them all she had an ectopic pregnancy and would have died under what they are proposing! -- and I enjoy her even though I live nowhere near her district.

She was shot five times and lay on the tarmac for 22 hours before being rescued!  She knew it was so dangerous that she made out her will before going.  She's kickass with street cred.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, NeverLate said:

Whoopi was also corrected, about Abe and slavery. I didn't think either of them took it badly though..( shrug ) 

Yeah, but Whoopi doesn't scream about the almighty political insight she needs to impart on the uneducated View co-hosts. For someone who claims to be experienced in political commentary, the fact that McCain doesn't even keep up with elections in a country as central as Germany is absolutely laughable and outed her as a complete fool. A film star not knowing exact details about a president from Civil War times isn't anywhere in the same scope.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, thejuicer said:

It's getting uncomfortable just how much Whoopi hates Sunny.

I think Megan takes that as permission to also be rude to Sunny...every day.  She gives the impression that Sunny is below her in every area:  wealth, smarts, education, politics, Golden Rule, relationships, blahblahblah.  She'll eventually have her comeuppance. 

Edited by Former Nun
changed "give" to "gives"
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Regarding Sunny and Whoopi, it's interesting that they switched Sunny and Sara when they added Meghan. 

The switch was in September...maybe even earlier.  I do believe it was to "help" Sara stop hitting Joy.    I have a friend, the oldest of nine kids...six of them boys...who always backhanded my arm--HARD (she punished her brothers until they were big enough to hit back).  I'd just joke and say, "Did you just hit me?"  She'd say, "I tapped you."  I'd say, "It HURT!"  This went on for over 50 years.   She met a woman and they became friends and the woman complained only three or four times and all "friend hitting" stopped.    She said that until her other friend mentioned it, she just thought it was her fun way to emphasize something and I had been overreacting. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, thejuicer said:

It's getting uncomfortable just how much Whoopi hates Sunny. Too bad Sunny is more professional, educated, and articulate than Whoopi can ever hope to be.

I've noticed that in recent weeks, when Sunny gives some information, or expresses a strong opinion, she gets a very loud enthusiastic response from the audience.  Maybe that bugs Whoopi. 

Meghan talked about topics being "red meat" twice.  Is that a thing?  I've never heard of that term used that way before. 

Oh - and whoopi appears to have retrieved that grey scarf from the garbage heap. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

I've noticed that in recent weeks, when Sunny gives some information, or expresses a strong opinion, she gets a very loud enthusiastic response from the audience.  Maybe that bugs Whoopi. 

Meghan talked about topics being "red meat" twice.  Is that a thing?  I've never heard of that term used that way before. 

Oh - and whoopi appears to have retrieved that grey scarf from the garbage heap. 

It's a term used frequently on MSNBC ... Maddow, Lawrence, etc.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, backformore said:

Before MM's usage, I've heard it said only by commentators in relation to trump - that when he fulfills a campaign promise to his base, he's "throwing red meat to his base"...in other words, keeping his base happy.

Edited by Tunia
I'm just wonky today!
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I like that one since she's said more then once that she's there to "educate" the rest of the panel.

Misstep #14.     I think Ms. McCain used her quota of silly jargon in one day (today): REDMEATREDMEATREDMEAT ... REDRUM !

• Love 3
On 10/31/2017 at 0:51 PM, Former Nun said:

Whoopi has been uncharacteristically kind and helpful to Megan since Day One...even to the point of sweetness and admiration.   Somethin's goin' on......................

Well,she isn't treating Sunny very kindly - accusing her of rolling her eyes today!   What is Whoopi's problem?  

• Love 5

Political correctness silences discussions?  First - it's a survey, so show me the details, the exact question, who was polled, and the possible answers. 

Second - NO, Meghan, being politically correct is not the same thing as someone saying they are conservative but want to be private about their beliefs.   Now, if someone says they're RACIST, but don't want anyone to know -  yeah, PC has silenced their ability to be openly racist.  

When I was a kid, (1960s, 70s)  Halloween costumes included "Indian", "Chinaman"  and "Mexican".  yes, those are offensive, and yes, we need to be PC and not dress kids up as ethnicities.  Kids also dress as "bums", which is basically dressing as a homeless person. yes, that is offensive.     PC also means not using racial and ethnic slurs - it means teaching kids not to use "gay"  as an insult, not to use language or actions  that denigrate groups of people.  It doesn't silence discussions to be respectful of others' feelings.  

The topic of post-wedding blues was interesting, even though Whoopi made faces and was disdainful of the topic.   Some couples these days spend 2 years planning every detail of their weddings, obsessing  over it to the point that it's all they think about.   So many "things"  have been added to weddings these days, that people didn't used to do - elaborate tastings to plan the menus, destination bachelor/ette parties, professional makeup artists for the entire bridal party, and 3- 4 days of back-to-back wedding festivities surrounding the wedding day.  So, yeah, if you spend every waking moment planning, and then it's over, it's a huge change when the wedding part is over, and all your left with is marriage. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yeah, but Whoopi doesn't scream about the almighty political insight she needs to impart on the uneducated View co-hosts. For someone who claims to be experienced in political commentary, the fact that McCain doesn't even keep up with elections in a country as central as Germany is absolutely laughable and outed her as a complete fool. A film star not knowing exact details about a president from Civil War times isn't anywhere in the same scope.

Oh I think Whoopi screams enough, she seems to think ,everyone watching agrees with her POV, and I don't.She really gets up my nose! 

• Love 1

How about: Meghan McCain: Supercunt, for her thread title?

Yeah, the whole Whoopi v. Sunny thing is just getting more and more uncomfortable. I think that 'producer' Whoopi would have loved to have gotten rid of Sunny but maybe was allowed to 'choose' Jed's replacement and, for some reason she's 'in love' with Meghan McCain (Supercunt). 

What I'm waiting for is the day when a 'guest' (whatever happened to those; yes I'm exaggerating) is the one to tear Meghan several new ones. Then we'll see 'touch chick's' true colours. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, backformore said:

The topic of post-wedding blues was interesting, even though Whoopi made faces and was disdainful of the topic.   Some couples these days spend 2 years planning every detail of their weddings, obsessing  over it to the point that it's all they think about.   So many "things"  have been added to weddings these days, that people didn't used to do - elaborate tastings to plan the menus, destination bachelor/ette parties, professional makeup artists for the entire bridal party, and 3- 4 days of back-to-back wedding festivities surrounding the wedding day.  So, yeah, if you spend every waking moment planning, and then it's over, it's a huge change when the wedding part is over, and all your left with is marriage. 

Aw, man!  I'm sorry I missed this because my daughter's wedding was 4 weeks ago and I spent a good year engrossed in planning.  I can understand the blues since it occupied so much of my time and now?  It's over. :(

5 hours ago, marsha said:

How about: Meghan McCain: Supercunt, for her thread title?

Please no.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, marsha said:

hat I'm waiting for is the day when a 'guest' (whatever happened to those; yes I'm exaggerating) is the one to tear Meghan several new ones.

Didn't that Congresswoman Wilson tear her one?  MM looked sooo uncomfortable.

10 hours ago, backformore said:

So, yeah, if you spend every waking moment planning, and then it's over, it's a huge change when the wedding part is over, and all your left with is marriage. 

I wish they would take the weddings down a notch.  Trust me, your guests won't remember all your little details. Personally, I go to weddings for the food.

• Love 5

I don't think there's a need to come up with a witty turn on Meghan's name for her own thread. I think just using a phrase she uses repeatedly would suffice, like the one I came up with for Joy. Though I really do miss her "So whaaat? Who caaares?"

I didn't know about how "red meat" was used on other shows, and was going to snark on it--about adding it to her list of buzz words, like Tribal, culture wars, etc. And the way she used it made no fucking sense. She was using "red meat" to describe the "heart" or reason for the shooting? Da fuck now? It comes across as her wanting to sound more intellectual or smarter than she actually is to me.

And sorry, but I have to disagree with both Whoopi and Sunny that the mass murders/terrorist attack in New York this week was "the worst since 9/11." Since both have been calling the mass murders in Florida, Charleston and Vegas terrorism, I'd say the one in Vegas has been the worst since 9/11 on U.S. soil. Unless they mean a terrorist attack by someone who is not White?

I was really enjoying Rep. Spiers' interview, but then had to roll my eyes when Meghan got her turn to ask a question. Damn, did she pivot? She pivoted! The subject was about sexual harassment, and she jumps to Russia! Did the producers not give her a question to ask?

I don't know about anyone else, but the news that she was harassed, or that it happens on the Hill, wasn't a surprise. For years now, Senator Gillibrand has alluded to being harassed, but would never name names because she wanted to focus on the work. I can't recall her exact reason for not naming them--it was during an interview with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show during his last season.

And yeah, Sunny may say she didn't roll her eyes at Whoopi, but she did. BUT, I don't blame her! She had every right to roll them, when Whoopi went on about how Lee was "an honorable man." He wasn't. He was horrible. And him stating that he didn't want any statues of him put up after the war doesn't make him likeable to me.  And really, it was all due to the Jim Crow era that all these monuments of Confederates started being erected--not after the War, certainly.

Meghan seriously needs to sit her ass down and get a dictionary to learn what Political Correctness is. Or isn't.  

Oh, and though I am not Muslim, I do know what "Allah Hu Akbar means." It's not a war cry; or a shout that means "death to infidels." It means "God is great." That phrase is used in ALL different situations. The fanatics just twist it and use it for their own fanaticism.  Just like every other fanatic of any other religion.

JEEBUS CRIPES.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And sorry, but I have to disagree with both Whoopi and Sunny that the mass murders/terrorist attack in New York this week was "the worst since 9/11."

I live in the NYC area, the local news station were incessantly calling the most recent terror attack the worst terror attack since 9/11 in NYC.  Perhaps Sunny and Whoopi had heard it many times.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, useryikes said:

Didn't that Congresswoman Wilson tear her one?  MM looked sooo uncomfortable.

I wish they would take the weddings down a notch.  Trust me, your guests won't remember all your little details. Personally, I go to weddings for the food.

Congresswoman Wilson tried to tear her a new one, but just came off as a raving lunatic. Meghan showed incredible restraint and was completely professional in her reaction to the congresswoman's highly inappropriate action.

• Love 2

Can I just be a bitch and say that Megan's hair is butt ugly...what is wrong with her. My God, that nasty mess hurt my eyeballs yesterday. Seriously that dried out (and now it is curly) pile of dung was making me vomit. Okay, I feel better now. I hate her. Snort.

• Love 4