Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E05: The Past Will Eat You Alive

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

If I'm one of the other players on Chrissy's tribe during the immunity challenge (who is not interested in stepping in especially), I would be pissed if she stopped what she was doing, dropped the controls, and turned to face everyone to ask if anyone else wanted to take a turn. You keep going while asking, and you keep going until someone else comes up to take over. In Survivor, stopping short in a challenge is like stopping mid-compression to ask if anyone else wants to help you perform CPR.

• Love 13

I mean, even the 'characters' are just retreads of past Survivors: Ryan=Cochran, Joe=Tony, Jessica=Neleah, Cole=JT.....it's all very meh.

Well, that's always going to be the case, because the casting people have a call sheet of characters they are trying to cast every season: cocky mook, surfer dude, frat boy, gym rat, soccer mom, nerdy geek, bikini babe (three minimum), quirky girl, crazy asshole, etc. It's the same play every year, they just find different actors to play the same parts. They've work-shopped and focus-grouped these shows until they have what they believe to be the ideal mix of "types."

From what I saw, Roark was a terrible player. That entire interaction with Chrissy was so poorly managed by Roark. She just could not remove her ego from the situation and instead had to turn it into a battle against Chrissy.

Neither women came off well IMO. On reflection, Roark's open hostility toward Chrissy at tribal council may well have been in reaction to her having a good idea the tide had turned against her and that she was probably getting voted out.

• Love 4
On 10/26/2017 at 9:27 AM, ProfCrash said:

I wouldn't say that I like Chrissy but I sympathize with her. She is probably aware that she is seen as the older woman who is not an asset or a threat. I thought her response to Roark was perfect, talk is a two way street. Chrissy did not approach Roark and Roark did not approach Chrissy. Roark did not want Chrissy in her original group and ignored Chrissy. Chrissy returned the favor. For Roark to put it on Chrissy was arrogant. The way Roark spoke to Chrissy at tribal was condescending. It is clear that Roark did not see Chrissy as worthy of her time or even making an attempt to work with her.

Chrissy knew when the game started that she was in a hard place as an "older woman". She knows that she was on the chopping block at that first tribal. Ryan gave her a lifeline, showing that he knew she was vulnerable, probably for the same reason that Chrissy was defensive, and that something about her made him think she was worth saving.

I don't think she sees herself as Denise and she sure as hell is not Dawn. She knows that she has been written off by most of the younger players and that irks her. I am not thrilled with her attitude but I get where it is coming from. I think she is not playing a great social game, she should have talked with Roark and the others who have ignored her, but I can understand why she is acting the way she is. I don't think she is a bitch, I think she is defensive and annoyed because of how her cast mates wrote her off on day one.

Throwing my thoughts in here:  I agree with ProfCrash's dissection of Roark and Chrissy. At TC, Roark acted very arrogant and condescending. Mainly when the votes were being read, and there were two votes for Chrissy and one for Roark, the smirk/smile on her face said it all, then I loved seeing the smirk fade as her name was called again, then she got the boot. Karma's a bitch when you gloat at others.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Katmai said:

I agree with ProfCrash's dissection of Roark and Chrissy

Yes. I went to the CBS site and watched their clip of tribal again due to the many sage  remarks here.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Neither women came off well IMO

Agreed.  I haven't liked Chrissy since episode one and I still think she's the ultimate smugness. On the other hand, I wanted to like Roark because I felt sorry for her,  she is a bit gawky and her name sounds like  something a bullfrog would say.  But, on second viewing, yeah, she was  smirking and very obnoxious.  She was accusing Chrissy of not approaching her, even though the reverse was also true, and Roark followed it with some corporate-speak advice for Chrissy about talking to people and how, "that should benefit you going forward."   Ew.

The main thing that struck me on second watch was that Roark looked exactly like Spencer at his worst.  I expected her to say.  "Chrissy!  Zero chance of winning!"

• Love 6
22 hours ago, millennium said:

It occurred to me last night that it has also been many, many seasons since contestants had to weather bone-chilling, 24-hour rainstorms or other inclement conditions.   

I hate those more than anything! I always put myself in their shoes, and I can handle being hungry. But wet and cold? Fuck that. I can't imagine not running for the nearest helicopter. 

18 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Hah... I love this statement. I think that the pre/post challenge snacks are an interesting idea but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the whole 'surviving' angle. Yes it got a little out of hand early on what with Tina turning into a cavewoman and Elizabeth pulling her hair out in clumps... but daily food rewards and them always having something more than just their rice annoys me. Respect the rice. Fear the loss of your rice. There shouldn't be a constant gravy train imho.

I agree. A middle ground needs to be found. And bring back the damn food auction!!!!

12 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

I certainly agree that Roark handled things badly with Chrissy, but in what way was that ego or arrogance?  I found that to be more like suspicion.  If Chrissy really hadn't approached her till just before she's in trouble, I can see why Roark would be suspicious of her motives.  I definitely get any arrogance or spitefulness in her tones.

And, despite her suspicions, Roark DID pretend to go along with the girl plan. As did Chrissy. It's just that Chrissy was able to finagle another plan behind Roark's back. And Roark wasn't. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

The main thing that struck me on second watch was that Roark looked exactly like Spencer at his worst.  I expected her to say.  "Chrissy!  Zero chance of winning!"

Don't you mean:  "Chrissy!  Zero percent chance of winning!"

Just because its even greater in ridiculousness.  ;)

• Love 3

If Chrissy makes it to the Final Tribal Council will she get the, “You are a Mother and you shouldn’t be lying & I trusted you” grilling from the jury? I don’t even know if she has kids but that’s the archetype role I’m getting from her. Will she be another Dawn or Sherri? Will she get raked over the coals? Just curious. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

If Chrissy makes it to the Final Tribal Council will she get the, “You are a Mother and you shouldn’t be lying & I trusted you” grilling from the jury? I don’t even know if she has kids but that’s the archetype role I’m getting from her. Will she be another Dawn or Sherri? Will she get raked over the coals? Just curious. 

She does have kids, but Chrissy seems to not be playing what I will call a "motherly" game. She doesn't seem to try to take care of her chicks, or cut the food for anyone. From what we've seen of her, she seems to be building relationships with a few people based on strategizing, not on warmth of character or social skills. In fact, the other people in her alliances (Ben, Ryan) are the ones with the social skills. In this way, I think she is more like Denise than Dawn. The question to me will be whether Chrissy will have enough social skills to pull it off and be sitting next to the right people at the end. Denise was fairly well-liked. People saw her as being strategic without being evil, and they definitely preferred her to Skupin and Lisa. Chrissy is definitely seen as smart, and I feel like so far she's avoiding the "my mom backstabbed me" betrayal problem, but the likeability factor may be an issue for her, imo.

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, mojoween said:

Because I’m super fun at parties, I used to try to name all of the Survivors in a season in order of booting.  I have not been able to do that for many moons.

I'm just trying to learn all the US presidents in order of year of election. Your parties must be a lot more interesting than mine.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, simplyme said:

She does have kids, but Chrissy seems to not be playing what I will call a "motherly" game. She doesn't seem to try to take care of her chicks, or cut the food for anyone. From what we've seen of her, she seems to be building relationships with a few people based on strategizing, not on warmth of character or social skills. In fact, the other people in her alliances (Ben, Ryan) are the ones with the social skills. In this way, I think she is more like Denise than Dawn. The question to me will be whether Chrissy will have enough social skills to pull it off and be sitting next to the right people at the end. Denise was fairly well-liked. People saw her as being strategic without being evil, and they definitely preferred her to Skupin and Lisa. Chrissy is definitely seen as smart, and I feel like so far she's avoiding the "my mom backstabbed me" betrayal problem, but the likeability factor may be an issue for her, imo.

You are so right. Chrissy is in the Denise role. I don’t know why I didn’t see that. I guess the only thing missing with Chrissy is Denise athletic ability. Also, if she was to make to the end she really would have to bring the right people. That’s goes without saying with most people but Chrissy isn’t really warm and fuzzy. She has the strategic part down but I wouldn’t necessarily say she’s the friendly type. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

You are so right. Chrissy is in the Denise role. I don’t know why I didn’t see that. I guess the only thing missing with Chrissy is Denise athletic ability. Also, if she was to make to the end she really would have to bring the right people. That’s goes without saying with most people but Chrissy isn’t really warm and fuzzy. She has the strategic part down but I wouldn’t necessarily say she’s the friendly type. 

I think that's what's missing, moreso than athleticism. Denise was a therapist and IMO it showed in her social game. She could communicate and work with people and build good relationships. Chrissy is all strategy but so far I haven't seen anything that suggests anyone really likes her (and certainly not as much as she likes herself).

• Love 9
On 10/25/2017 at 6:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Coffee is also a diarrhetic (can't spell that one.)  Tea is the absolute last thing I would want.  The whole thing was gnarly.  Whatever.  This show is an exercise for Jeff's amusement, LOL.

The spelling might not be right, but the thought is probably true! I can see a run for the bushes after this "prize."

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

If Chrissy makes it to the Final Tribal Council will she get the, “You are a Mother and you shouldn’t be lying & I trusted you” grilling from the jury?

There's a secret scene from last week in which Chrissy says she's barely even talked about being a mother with the Yellow tribe, in part because she's trying to dodge this very issue.

I don't think there's a spoiler here, but I'll tag it anyway.

Spoiler

• Love 3

Some posts have been hidden because things were getting a bit too personal. I know PTSD is a personal affliction that many suffer from due to varying reasons. From this point forward, it can ONLY be discussed in context to the episode specifically. Do not bring up your own PTSD or other people’s PTSD. 

• Love 1
On 10/25/2017 at 8:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Coffee is also a diarrhetic (can't spell that one.)  

FYI: Coffee is a diuretic , true - but its diuretic effect may be ameliorated depending upon individually-established levels of tolerance.

• Love 2

LOL, huh?  I'm not a doctor but I'm definitely thinking that all of those Survivor contestants who hadn't touched caffeine in a couple weeks probably had diarrhea after that big pastry and coffee party.

Anyways.  I thought the reward was strange.  But I know that's par for the course for Survivor.  And those people are probably starving and will take what they can get.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I must be evil, because I was thinking that any reward challenge for coffee should be followed by an immunity challenge that requires perfect dexterity. You know, in the spirit of advantages not being advantages.

Of course, longer term, having coffee to start the day may not be a bad thing... 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL, huh?  I'm not a doctor but I'm definitely thinking that all of those Survivor contestants who hadn't touched caffeine in a couple weeks probably had diarrhea after that big pastry and coffee party.

Diuretics make you go #1, not #2. Although, it's probably safe to say that pretty much anything they eat on the rewards would give them stomach issues.

• Love 3
On 10/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, mojoween said:

Because I’m super fun at parties, I used to try to name all of the Survivors in a season in order of booting.  I have not been able to do that for many moons.

Now someone mentioned Simone and I’m like who?  Was she on this year?

Fantasy elves are quite tall and slender.  I stand by my statement.

Simone provided my favorite closed caption goof ever when someone talking about her said, "Not Simone," and CC wrote it as "Nazi moan."  I'll remember that when I'm in the nursing home.  

• Love 5
On 10/27/2017 at 8:46 AM, Etta Place said:

If I'm one of the other players on Chrissy's tribe during the immunity challenge (who is not interested in stepping in especially), I would be pissed if she stopped what she was doing, dropped the controls, and turned to face everyone to ask if anyone else wanted to take a turn. You keep going while asking, and you keep going until someone else comes up to take over. In Survivor, stopping short in a challenge is like stopping mid-compression to ask if anyone else wants to help you perform CPR.

But she fell off, didn't she?  I mean, she didn't just stop in mid-success and ask?  

I don't blame her, I blame her tribe.  If I were one of them, I would've been up there the second time she fell off and telling her to get out of my way.

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

FYI: Coffee is a diuretic , true - but its diuretic effect may be ameliorated depending upon individually-established levels of tolerance.

I don't think it matters it's a diuretic because they have all the water they want out there.  Coffee is a big help to them, I think, that's why they keep getting it in recent seasons.  It makes people alert and mobile, which is better tv.  And the sugar is carbs, which also helps them be more active.  

I still like Chrissy.  She's more Kass than Dawn, but I like Kass, too.  Remember Missy?  I get a little Missy from Chrissy, too.  I didn't mind Missy, either, by the end of her season.  

I didn't like Roark and was happy to see her go.  She was obnoxious at tribal and just seemed dim overall to me.  

There are a lot of people I like... Ryan, Ali, Desi, Devon, Chrissy, Mike, Jessica, Ashley and Ben seem ok, Lauren's pretty entertaining.  I can still pass on Joe and Cole.

I too thought of Frankie and Caleb in that reward challenge.  

18 hours ago, SVNBob said:

There's a secret scene from last week in which Chrissy says she's barely even talked about being a mother with the Yellow tribe, in part because she's trying to dodge this very issue.

I don't think there's a spoiler here, but I'll tag it anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm thinking Chrissy's over thinking things, with her 24/7 strategizing claim.  Just what does it say by her sharing JP's mat?

6 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Diuretics make you go #1, not #2. Although, it's probably safe to say that pretty much anything they eat on the rewards would give them stomach issues.

Coffee can definitely stimulate the colon.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But she fell off, didn't she?  I mean, she didn't just stop in mid-success and ask?  

I don't blame her, I blame her tribe.  If I were one of them, I would've been up there the second time she fell off and telling her to get out of my way.

I don't think it matters it's a diuretic because they have all the water they want out there.  Coffee is a big help to them, I think, that's why they keep getting it in recent seasons.  It makes people alert and mobile, which is better tv.  And the sugar is carbs, which also helps them be more active.  

I still like Chrissy.  She's more Kass than Dawn, but I like Kass, too.  Remember Missy?  I get a little Missy from Chrissy, too.  I didn't mind Missy, either, by the end of her season.  

I didn't like Roark and was happy to see her go.  She was obnoxious at tribal and just seemed dim overall to me.  

There are a lot of people I like... Ryan, Ali, Desi, Devon, Chrissy, Mike, Jessica, Ashley and Ben seem ok, Lauren's pretty entertaining.  I can still pass on Joe and Cole.

I too thought of Frankie and Caleb in that reward challenge.  

Sure Chrissy's tribe could have simply told her to get out of the way, just like Patrick's tribe could have done the same.  

They may have all the water they want there, but it's warm and a little brown.  To avoid dehydration you have to push yourself to drink even when you're not thirsty, which may hard when it's so warm.  Coffee and sugar are a great help for a very short period of time.  The crash after coffee and sugar can be very detrimental unless you can constantly replenish it.  Danishes do nothing for me but cause lethargy, which makes sense since it's all refined sugar, and no nutrition whatsoever.  I wish they would provide them with a multi-vitamin daily, although that would be hard to tolerate if they were experiencing any nausea.

• Love 1

I think their water is clean and they probably do get vitamins.  And extra calories alone are helpful, whatever the source.  

There are a lot of misconceptions about dehydration.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/10-myths-about-hydration-you-need-to-stop-believing-right-now/ss-BBDTLG2?fullscreen=true#image=1

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

Edited by Guest
11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Remember Missy?  I get a little Missy from Chrissy, too.

I didn't think of it before but this is a great comparison. I didn't hate Missy in the way I hate Chrissy though. I think maybe because Missy was more in control than Chrissy is so she didn't come off as stupidly arrogant.

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Right! It drives me nuts. My sister did a project on dehydration for one of her classes in college and her group members were SO wrong about so many things and it made me crazy.

• Love 1

I think in locales like this with plentiful coconuts, pooping is happening plenty already.  Past Survivors have mentioned its effects. 

I have a feeling that smart players make frequent drinking and sunscreen part of their actual strategy.  So when I see someone with sunburns like Patrick's and Ben's, I wonder how smart they really are about the game.  It seems like it's usually men who get cocky and get sunburned or dehydrated out there.  Some other bad sunburns were Cochran's first days and Dan Foley's.  (Not Dan but that Jason guy, maybe?)  And of course the worst dehydration episodes were Caleb's, and maybe Skupin circa 2001, maybe Russell Swann.  

Edited by Guest
On 10/27/2017 at 9:22 PM, greyflannel said:

Roark reminded me of 11 in Stranger Things.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I started to post as much in my first comment, but deleted it because I couldn't pinpoint why it was and thought it came across as too weird. But she really did. I think it was the eyes? 

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think their water is clean and they probably do get vitamins.  And extra calories alone are helpful, whatever the source.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/10-myths-about-hydration-you-need-to-stop-believing-right-now/ss-BBDTLG2?fullscreen=true#image=1

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

Thanks, but I got my facts about hydration in nursing school and medical books, not the internet.

• Love 1

You shouldn't really judge sunscreen use by a sunburn, though. I say this as someone who apparently had a vampire as an ancestor. Not one of those newfangled sparkly ones, but one of those old-fashioned ones that went up in flames like gas-soaked newspaper if a  single ray of sunlight touched them. Sunscreen can only do so much. I mean, I put the stuff on daily, and I cover up outside, and I live in a snowy, cloudy northern clime, but I know from two trips to Florida that no matter how much sunblock I wear or how often I reapply it, I'm going to burn because people insist on going and standing in the sun instead of letting me stay indoors. :P

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think their water is clean

IIRC a Tribe uses a local water source if it is tested and verified potable; if not, a Tribe's "well" consists of a half-buried water barrel which Production periodically refills.

• Love 3

I think the 'barrel dressed up as a well' is what we've been seeing for many seasons now.  

Mayo Clinic and Harvard Medical School don't think coffee is a problem for hydration, or that thirst is a bad guide.  

All beverages containing water contribute toward your daily needs. And it's a myth that caffeinated beverages or those containing alcohol are dehydrating because they make you urinate. They do, but over the course of the day, the water from these beverages still leads to a net positive contribution to total fluid consumption

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-much-water-should-you-drink

https://www.mayoclinic.org/water/ART-20044256?p=1

8 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

And of course the worst dehydration episodes were Caleb's, and maybe Skupin circa 2001, maybe Russell Swann.  

And Bruce Kanegai from Panama, who got so dehydrated he didn't shit for ten days and had to be medevaced out.  Surprising to me since he was an Outward Bound instructor and I would have expected him to have known better.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
On 10/27/2017 at 2:55 PM, ByaNose said:

Stop it!  Don't put Chrissy and final tribal council in the same sentence.  

30 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think the 'barrel dressed up as a well' is what we've been seeing for many seasons now.  

Mayo Clinic and Harvard Medical School don't think coffee is a problem for hydration, or that thirst is a bad guide.  

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-much-water-should-you-drink

https://www.mayoclinic.org/water/ART-20044256?p=1

Yes.  I have been singing this song for many seasons.  My father was a doctor and died before the water bottle people inhabited the streets but he mentioned this.   It was in reference to someone my mother knew who hated water and never drank it but guzzled iced tea all day.  

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

IIRC a Tribe uses a local water source if it is tested and verified potable; if not, a Tribe's "well" consists of a half-buried water barrel which Production periodically refills.

I thought I read that they have been delivering water to fake wells in Fiji.  

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

So what you're saying is...

IMG_0317.JPG

:D

What are you?  12?  ;>)  lol 

• Love 2
On 10/28/2017 at 3:00 PM, Nashville said:

I just don't know how they do this without coffee. I would have the worst caffeine withdrawal headache for the first couple of days.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I just don't know how they do this without coffee. I would have the worst caffeine withdrawal headache for the first couple of days.

That's probably part of a smart prep:  Pack on a few spare pounds, work on aerobic fitness and swim skills, learn to make fire, and wean off of caffeine.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

A few years back I made the mistake of swearing off caffeine for Lent (not Catholic, but I use Lent as an opportunity to exercise some self-discipline).  Originally I was thinking just coffee - but once I'd made the declaration to myself I couldn't let myself back down, no matter how overreaching.  Come to find out that meant 40 days' abstinence from:

• Coffee.
  • Sweet tea (remember, I'm Southern).
  • CHOCOLATE.
  • Aspirin (most OTC pain relievers incorporate caffeine to speed up the kick-in of the effects).
  • Ditto acetaminophen.
  • Ditto ibuprofen.

So I went from 2-3 pots of coffee a day to zilch - and couldn't take anything for the headaches; they died down after a week or two, but I've had funner months.

5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

That's probably part of a smart prep:  Pack on a few spare pounds, work on aerobic fitness and swim skills, learn to make fire, and wean off of caffeine.  

DEFINITELY recommended.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 3
On 29/10/2017 at 4:47 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

We should not forget that this is a social game as well and maybe the social aspect of it has become more important in modern Survivor than the strategy itself. We should also not forget that every single thing can be used against you in this game and one small thing can get you voted out. I am a person who, like you, would go up there and tell her to MOVE NOW but this is not a smart thing to do in this game.

On 28/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, spiderpig said:

Summing up this episode in four words:

I wanted Chrissy gone.

I'm trying to think why we dislike Chrissy so much and I'm wondering whether we'd hate her so much if in her place there was a man. I mean, we have seen many arrogant men in this game who thought they had it figured out and I don't remember people hating them that much (Russell is an exception). Even Ryan on this season seems arrogant. Why don't people hate HIM as much as they hate Chrissy? Is it the fact that Ryan is an otherwise likeable person or is it a gender issue?

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, ByaNose said:

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, ByaNose said:

Chrissy is not Dawn. Dawn's strategy was to be nice to folks and develop relationships with them and then she stabbed them all in the back. Many of the players seemed to trust her and discuss more personal issues, things we were not shown, because they knew she was a Mother and a caring person so they took the blindsides very, very personally. I think someone like Dawn has to either play out the total Mother role game or play the anti-Mom game, oh my god I am using Kass as an example, if she wants a  chance at winning. Chrissy is not trying to play that hybrid game, which is great because no one can make that work. Like it or not, the social game is huge in Survivor and you cannot be everyone's confessor and Mother figure and then get away with brutally stabbing them in the back. And when you vote off someone who has told you their entire life story and soothed their concerns about life and then blindsaide them that comes off as brutal. It might be necessary game play but it is going to back fire brutally at Final Tribal. Lisa Wenchel ran it not the same problem. To win Survivor you need to play a game that fits your personality. Someone who is really caring and empathetic is not likely to be able to pull off the Mom Betrayer game.

Chrissy is not Denise. Denise was clinical in her approach. She was able to play a good enough social game to not annoy people but was never the hands on, Mom love player. She was also never really in a great power position. She and Malcolm were kind of screwed and were playing from an underdog position most of their game. Or I am totally misremembering their season. Which meant that Denise was not really in a position to backstab too many folks. She was able to use her professional experience to maintain a calm exterior presence and not appear panicked or out of control.

Chrissy is playing a decent strategic game but not a very good social game. She has a chip on her shoulder because she knows she was targeted because of her age. She was "saved" by the younger crowd from the first vote, they don't know about the idol, and I suspect acted kind of like assholes after that vote. I think there was a sense that Chrissy was the next one going home if her tribe lost again. She was thrilled to switch tribes and work with other folks, a sign that she was not in a good spot on her original tribe.

If she is able to vote out more of her original tribe, Chrissy might be in a good place. And if she can control her attitude.

Yeah, I seem to remember someone in an earlier season (Shane, I think?) who basically smoked up until the day he set foot on the island and he said in an interview after that he basically went batshit crazy from withdrawal and it completely screwed up his game. 

9 hours ago, himela said:

I'm trying to think why we dislike Chrissy so much and I'm wondering whether we'd hate her so much if in her place there was a man.

I'm in the minority but Chrissy doesn't bug me at all. I don't find her any more arrogant than anyone else who finds themselves in a good strategic position.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yeah, I seem to remember someone in an earlier season (Shane, I think?) who basically smoked up until the day he set foot on the island and he said in an interview after that he basically went batshit crazy from withdrawal and it completely screwed up his game. 

I don't think it was just cigarettes. I think he said he went cold turkey on booze and weed, as well.

• Love 1

I'm in the minority but Chrissy doesn't bug me at all. I don't find her any more arrogant than anyone else who finds themselves in a good strategic position.  

There was that guy, Zane, in the Philippines who said he was going through smoking withdrawal -- he was the first one voted out, I think.

21 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I don't think it was just cigarettes. I think he said he went cold turkey on booze and weed, as well.

And his Blackberry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6etK0-ShYqE

• Love 5

I'm so surprised by the Chrissy hate. Roark seemed much more mean-spirited and arrogant to me, and I WANTED to like her due to our common background. Chrissy strikes me as a very smart person who has the advantage of people writing her off as dumb because of her looks. I've heard her say she's smart (is that arrogant? It's a TH, not like she's standing around camp talking about how smart she is) but I haven't heard her be vicious as someone above described her. Not at all. Roark DID think she was smarter than Chrissy, and it was obvious when Chrissy approached her to talk strategy and Roark just gave her the bland raised-eyebrows face and fake pleasant nods. She should have either talked it out or shut her down. If you try to bullshit someone into thinking you are with them, you have to be prepared for them to turn on you if they catch on that you are full of it (see Lauren's reaction when she knew Patrick was planning to vote her out, only Chrissy was smarter about hiding what she recognized. Lauren might have gotten voted out herself that night if Patrick hadn't been annoying people). But perception varies, I guess... someone else above also said they LIKED Russell Hantz! The mind; she boggles.

But the real reason I came here: did anyone else see the bug that flew away in this weird vertical pose, legs outstretched, like it was going "yaaaaaay!"? I laughed so much I reversed and watched it three times. Anybody? Anybody? Happy flying bug? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Eyeland Baby said:

But the real reason I came here: did anyone else see the bug that flew away in this weird vertical pose, legs outstretched, like it was going "yaaaaaay!"? I laughed so much I reversed and watched it three times. Anybody? Anybody? Happy flying bug? 

Loved it.  :D

• Love 1

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but I don't like the idol being put in the same place at different camps, it means people can get an idol easily after having got one at another camp, there should be more effort to get one.  I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but I don't like the idol being put in the same place at different camps, it means people can get an idol easily after having got one at another camp, there should be more effort to get one.  I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.

It is not. Tai found one at the well on Second Chances or whatever the last Alumni season was. I am not a big fan of them being in the same location. They should at least move them when the tribe swap happens so that they are in different places after the swap but I think that the Producers want as many in the idols in play as possible. I want them to go back tot he days of the idol clue and hunt.

• Love 8