Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E12: Down to the Wire

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, mmm said:

So am I.

Listen her it again she didn't stress the A. Maybe bec of her Texas accent made it sound weird. 

I'll have to listen to it again.  Maybe I was just impressed that she came as close to correct as she did?  So many people butcher that pronunciation (I know I did until someone corrected me.)

5 hours ago, ByTor said:

I didn't realize using "a" gave any kind of implication, I say it all the time (not about all my Lanvin clothing, mainly because I don't have any LOL) but I'll take your fashion nerd word for it :) :) :)   Note to self: don't say it that way again!

My favorite part was after Keyra's office visit.  After she gave the fake thumbs down & turned it into a thumbs up, Jenna grabbed her into a hug & the way Keyra spun around she looked like she was trying to get away.  If there were a cartoon thought bubble over her head it would be "Ohhhh no you don't, I'm not gonna be next!"

I saw that too.  Jenna kept holding her arm like she wanted to hug her and Keyra just would not turn around. She basically ignored her. Glad I'm not the on.y one who saw this. 

• Love 2
On 10/20/2017 at 1:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Based on tonight's rehearsal, I would be fine with them not having 36 girls on the team this year.

Amen to this.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:07 AM, sATL said:

I thought she said a while back she was a "D" cup... ummmm

Double D

On 10/20/2017 at 4:16 PM, Teriyaki Terror said:

Remember when Colby was the fan vote...they clearly did not want her in TC but had to be fair while she was there. They also looked for any reason to cut her. I'm wondering why they don't do the fan vote anymore...maybe because of this. Hmmmm

I think that girl that won it last year was the final straw.   I don't think they could come up w/ a good "reason" to cut her besides for that they didn't like her personality or look (which is really mean to have to say), and they realized that the fan vote thing was more trouble than it was worth.   Vivian, Lauren and Colby brought some interesting storylines to the show, but two girls in a row who they never wanted in camp to begin with meant it was time to end it.

l loved being able to watch those videos of their dancing though. 

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

Double D

I also think Kelli may have had a "refill" somewhere along the way.  I was a full C cup before I had kids, and a (long) B cup after.  I got implants just to make 'em stand up straight and ended up a 34G.  :-D

Edited by Lady GenX
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Lady GenX said:

I also think Kelli may have had a "refill" somewhere along the way.  I was a full C cup before I had kids, and a (long) B cup after.  I got implants just to make 'em stand up straight and ended up a 34G.  :-D

You and Robin Quivers!!!

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Jazzmom said:

In the vintage cheerleaders video, when they walk out onto the field, they look like prancing horses, like the Tennessee Walking Horses! 

Big difference between the dancing in the Love Boat video and the MJ/Smooth Criminal routine from '89. Uggghhh....that Love Boat scene was barfworthy. They did NOT dance good enough for all of that standing ovation/bad acting crapola. The instrumental music was painful!

That "Oh, Yeah" song from Yello has to be the worst thing ever to come out of the '80s.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If you mean 2017 Kelli and Judy, then obviously no. I mean, seriously, try to imagine either of doing one of the DCC booty shaking dances. But would 1984 Kelli and Judy be able to make the 2017 team? Still questionable, partly because the dance style the team had back then was very different. They also didn't have such high standards about the kickline back then. This is from the second DCC movie in 1980 (which is when Judy joined the squad) and not only are the kicks low but they're not very synchronized and you can see a lot of bad technique (hunched over, bent knees, etc).

I'm referring to the Judy, Kelli, and even Kitty at the age when they auditioned. If they were held at current DCC standards regarding 'The DCC Look', looking thick in the middle, not being photogenic enough. They're very proficient at picking out every flaw in the TC candidates but I'm just curious whether they would have made the squad themselves under the same standards.

Also, I found this rather curious from a sports journal

Kitty Chapman Carter, 55, who was a Cowboys cheerleader from 1974-1976, said, “My dad was not real happy with the uniform. He almost died when he found out that I had made it because I was showing too much skin. He told me I wasn’t going to the Super Bowl without a cover-up so he had jackets made for the whole team to take to Miami.”

42 minutes ago, Random Noise said:

I'm referring to the Judy, Kelli, and even Kitty at the age when they auditioned. If they were held at current DCC standards regarding 'The DCC Look', looking thick in the middle, not being photogenic enough. They're very proficient at picking out every flaw in the TC candidates but I'm just curious whether they would have made the squad themselves under the same standards.

Also, I found this rather curious from a sports journal

You still can't compare it---if the DCC had the current requirements back in those days I'd venture a guess that they would work to achieve it. They worked to achieve the DCC requirements of their time so the logical guess would be yes---they would. 

• Love 6
On 10/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, cherryblossom said:

I looked at the numbers on the photos with some being difficult to read esp those in red but here is what I saw:

Savannah 13/4/1

Kalayssa 14/1

Molly 13/1/1

Keyra 9/5/1

Christina 11/3/1

Alex 10/4/1

Tara 13/1 obviously  they don't add up to 15

Taryn 3/8/4. Wow!  Did she come in on the coattails of Savannah?

They are supposed to add up to 15 I think.

Savannah 10/4/1

Kalyssa 14/1

Molly 13/1/1

Keyra 9/5/1

Christina 11/3/1

Alex 10/4/1

Tara 15/!

Taryn 3/8/4

Not sure what an exclamation point means here. Some of the others shown in other episodes had the exclamation point as well...

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If you mean 2017 Kelli and Judy, then obviously no. I mean, seriously, try to imagine either of doing one of the DCC booty shaking dances. But would 1984 Kelli and Judy be able to make the 2017 team? Still questionable, partly because the dance style the team had back then was very different. They also didn't have such high standards about the kickline back then. This is from the second DCC movie in 1980 (which is when Judy joined the squad) and not only are the kicks low but they're not very synchronized and you can see a lot of bad technique (hunched over, bent knees, etc).

This is from their appearance on The Love Boat in 1979 so it's before Kelli and Judy's time on the team, but you can see that the style is very different and the choreography didn't require as much technique:

This is from 1989 (right after Kelli left), but I had to include this video (1) for the unitards and (2) I'm pretty sure that's Judy at the very beginning! There are a bunch of different show group snippets too!

Christina definitely would have been cut. I'm not sure about Keyra because Kelli really loves her.

I'm not really sure you needed to know how to dance to be on these early squads? Maybe just have rhythm and attractiveness? 

52 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I'm not really sure you needed to know how to dance to be on these early squads? Maybe just have rhythm and attractiveness? 

To be fair, there were some girls on the team with obvious skills. This is another clip from the second DCC movie. The girls wearing the white low jazz shoes are clearly better dancers with better kicks/flexibility. Within that group, we see double piqué turns, pirouettes à la seconde, split leaps, back handsprings, etc. Heh, obviously those girls were the Melissa (bioengineering, not Rycroft) and Amy T of their squad.

ETA: There are a lot of really bad hitch kicks in this video!

This Phil Donahue performance is from the late 80s/early 90s. During this era, they were trying to incorporate the hip/current dance trends, hence the Roger Rabbit, the Robocop, the Running Man, etc. They also had a turning split leap which was unexpected given the amount of technique seen in this dance (like a single pirouette). Bonus: you get to see an older version of the kickline!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I love the shots of the audiences for the Love Boat and Donahue clips-- in the Love Boat one, David Cassidy and the guy who played Schneider on One Day at a Time are there.

I am bummed about Taryn!  She was cute and likeable and her dancing seemed ok.  She  did have minor forehead wrinkles that could be Botoxed away.  I want her to come back but I don't want to her to go through training camp again and not make it a la Brennan. 

Lacey has the greatest hair.  I wish they would send Gina and Tara back to the salon because they could use some hair improvements.  

The constant Jerry Jones Enshrinement of it all is getting tired.  So many historic moments aren't there?  Poor Lauren having to shake her bonbon practically in the laps of Jerry and Charlotte!!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jesslyn said:

Savannah 10/4/1

Kalyssa 14/1

Molly 13/1/1

Keyra 9/5/1

Christina 11/3/1

Alex 10/4/1

Tara 15/!

Taryn 3/8/4

Not sure what an exclamation point means here. Some of the others shown in other episodes had the exclamation point as well...

Wait Klyassa gets 14/1 and Tara got a perfect score ???!!!!

I think she's good but she's not that great !!!!!!

9 hours ago, PBSLover said:

You and Robin Quivers!!!

I read this while listening to the Stern show !! LOL

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

I love the shots of the audiences for the Love Boat and Donahue clips-- in the Love Boat one, David Cassidy and the guy who played Schneider on One Day at a Time are there.

David Cassidy.....my 70s guy crush (sigh!). Too bad he is such a train wreck now. :(

5 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

You still can't compare it---if the DCC had the current requirements back in those days I'd venture a guess that they would work to achieve it. They worked to achieve the DCC requirements of their time so the logical guess would be yes---they would. 

I have no doubt they would work to achieve it, but would they satisfy "the look" on the jumbo-tron?. They clearly photograph well in their uniform which was much larger in those days. How about the current uniform? Would they have been on alert for weight issues or would they have had that DCC fit they look for now? Clearly the kickline wasn't as stringent in those days. Could they have achieved today's standard, or would they be like Mackenzie who barely made it onto the squad because of her kicks, or would any of them have been cut? Would they stand out on the field, or look blah? Would they pass the interview process? Working to achieve it doesn't necessarily get you on the squad. If it did, then someone like Kalli Fullerton for example would be on a squad photo for determination to succeed.

If you had someone, say Ashton for example, making criticisms of the TC candidates and making cuts then I could respect that because we know she's been through the whole process herself in the past and can criticize from experience and probably offer some helpful advice at the same time. You could even have Cassie perched over her right shoulder as token gargoyle. Kelli, Judy, and Kitty all make comments that many of us find questionable. You can browse page after page on this forum and find comments on something they said about someone's look, performance, style, etc. I'm simply wondering if they had been held to today's standards themselves, would they have breezed through TC, or would any of them have been cut during TC and have to return the following year, or would any of them have gotten the "you've given it a good run" speech.

Clearly there was some turmoil within the sisterhood regarding some of the changes. Quoting from the June 23, 1989 Los Angeles Times

DALLAS — Fourteen members of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders say they are quitting the squad because new owner Jerry Jones wants them to wear skimpier uniforms, fraternize with the players and appear in beer commercials.

Jones denied that he wanted to make such changes.

"When (quarterback) Roger Staubach went out, he went out on top. They have retired. I'm resigning," cheerleader director Debbie Bond, 36, said today.

In addition to Bond, all 14 veteran cheerleaders have said they will leave the team because of the dispute over the uniforms, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The 23 rookie members have until Monday to decide if they will stay with the squad, which has been training in summer camp since May 6.

6 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

David Cassidy.....my 70s guy crush (sigh!). Too bad he is such a train wreck now. :(

Mine was Susan Dey.

David was on celebrity apprentice a few years ago and seemed to have it all together. Much better than some of the musicians from that time.

3 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

I love the shots of the audiences for the Love Boat and Donahue clips-- 

Just an FYI....turn down/off the volume completely on the Phil Donahue one. The instrumental filler music on it is REALLY bad! 

So hilarious to see how ho hum the audience was about the performance! I think the old guy was the only one who enjoyed it. There was a lot of polite clapping afterwards. And what was with the shirtless guy and the girl next to him? They looked so stoic. The '80s contained a lot of weird, non sensical stuff like that.

54 minutes ago, Random Noise said:

Mine was Susan Dey.

David was on celebrity apprentice a few years ago and seemed to have it all together. Much better than some of the musicians from that time.

He had a really bad drinking problem and ended up with a few DUIs, went through a bankruptcy and a divorce. I remembered when he was on CA. He spent most of his time talking to his daughter on the phone. That was so sweet. ? Now he is retired from performing because he has dementia. :(

RE: Ashton: If any of you were members of the old TWoP boards, the rumor back then was Megan Fox was being groomed for a future position with the DCC, but I do not think that came to fruition. I think Ashton could take her place easily. Hell....I would love to see Ashton boot out Melissa and take her spot!  (who has been absent the last few episodes.) 

Edited by tinabee1967
1 hour ago, tinabee1967 said:

And what was with the shirtless guy and the girl next to him?

LOL I wondered the same thing, they looked so pissed off!  They looked like they were dressed like aerobics instructors from that time.  I wonder if the show was about who were better dancers, Cowboys Cheerleaders or aerobic "dancers".

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ByTor said:

LOL I wondered the same thing, they looked so pissed off!  They looked like they were dressed like aerobics instructors from that time.  I wonder if the show was about who were better dancers, Cowboys Cheerleaders or aerobic "dancers".

That is likely. High impact aerobics...the worst exercise ever invented. I can hear my entire spine cry right now.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

That is likely. High impact aerobics...the worst exercise ever invented. I can hear my entire spine cry right now.

It was rough, but when it came to weight loss (for me anyway) damn, nothing worked like it!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I think that girl that won it last year was the final straw.   I don't think they could come up w/ a good "reason" to cut her besides for that they didn't like her personality or look (which is really mean to have to say), and they realized that the fan vote thing was more trouble than it was worth.   Vivian, Lauren and Colby brought some interesting storylines to the show, but two girls in a row who they never wanted in camp to begin with meant it was time to end it.

l loved being able to watch those videos of their dancing though. 

I thought Jackie was cut for bad dancing. It was obvious she wasn't that good. She did audition for the Texans cheerleaders and made it to finals but not the team. I think Kelli was kind of mean to her like she was to Colby. She wanted to cut her but Jackie talked her into staying another week and then got cut.

Edited by MrsEVH

I was watching the scene again where Show Group was dancing in front of the Jones family. Jerry had the look of a dirty old man while the girls were shaking and moving their cash and prizes in front of him, and Charlotte did not seem too impressed or a little embarrassed.

I am so glad for the less Mentor Melissa this season because the thought of her "working" with Taryn, Christina, and Savannah makes me cringe. I wonder which one would have ended up her pet project. Obviously CMT listen to the viewers because it seems the majority wanted less Melissa.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I was watching the scene again where Show Group was dancing in front of the Jones family. Jerry had the look of a dirty old man while the girls were shaking and moving their cash and prizes in front of him, and Charlotte did not seem too impressed or a little embarrassed.

I had an odd impression of him the first episode of the season where he seemed to be glowing over Kelli. Then I found the article and also a video clip from 'A Current Affair' when several DCC's resigned because of uniform issues and such when he took over. Wonder if there was a bit of fraternization between him and a few DCC's like Kelli and Judy back in the day.

Did anyone check Lauren's uniform for hand prints after dancing in front of him?

vlcsnap-2017-10-22-13h21m46s424.thumb.png.b4e387cd5a5fd466799c7e0ce6008d0c.png

Edited by Random Noise
1 minute ago, Random Noise said:

I had an odd impression of him the first episode of the season where he seemed to be glowing over Kelli. Then I found the article and also a video clip from 'A Current Affair' when several DCC's resigned because of uniform issues and such when he took over. Wonder if there was a bit of fraternization between him and a few DCC's like Kelli and Judy back in the day.

Did anyone check Lauren's uniform for hand prints after dancing in front of him?

Those 14 cheerleaders didn't actually resign, they just threatened to (in 1989, IIRC).  Jerry reassured them that everything would stay the same and everybody went back to work.

10 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

Just an FYI....turn down/off the volume completely on the Phil Donahue one. The instrumental filler music on it is REALLY bad! 

So hilarious to see how ho hum the audience was about the performance! I think the old guy was the only one who enjoyed it. There was a lot of polite clapping afterwards. And what was with the shirtless guy and the girl next to him? They looked so stoic. The '80s contained a lot of weird, non sensical stuff like that.

I was trying to figure out what the shirtless guy and his gal were doing there too.  ??? That being said, I thought both videos were a tad amusing.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Random Noise said:

who is the guy on the far right? I mean he is blushing red in the face !! Good thing his legs are crossed and he has a football to hold onto..

during the episode - judy seemed to be worried that TCC-pre-rookie Lauren was dancing so close to Jones Family. I was thinking if you are really that worried, you do have the power to change the placement.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sATL said:

who is the guy on the far right? I mean he is blushing red in the face !! Good thing his legs are crossed and he has a football to hold onto..

during the episode - judy seemed to be worried that TCC-pre-rookie Lauren was dancing so close to Jones Family. I was thinking if you are really that worried, you do have the power to change the placement.

I think she was more worried about Lauren falling into them or stepping on them then Jerry doing something inappropriate. Honestly, even in the above picture, he looks dazed and out of it. 

4 hours ago, sATL said:

My thoughts exactly.  I was yelling at the TV "well, WHY did you put her there?!?!"

This photo illustrates exactly what enters my mind when K&J preach about these girls being the epitome of wholesome ladies that can carry an intelligent conversation about Sean Spicer.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Jesslyn said:

Savannah 10/4/1

Kalyssa 14/1

Molly 13/1/1

Keyra 9/5/1

Christina 11/3/1

Alex 10/4/1

Tara 15/!

Taryn 3/8/4

Rewatched today and Lauren got 15/! also. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Random Noise said:

I Just wanted to give Lauren an A+ for flinging her hair so perfectly here! On a related note, one thing I noticed in the older videos is that the girls had a lot more freedom with their hairstyles. Since DCC: MTT started, it's been obvious that they're told to leave their hair down for all appearances. They used to be able to have ponytails or do other things with their hair for performances. I totally get uniformity (one performance group I was in made us all wear the same shade of eye shadow, which was a poor choice since not all of us had the same skin tone), but I liked seeing the girls not all have their hair down for performances in the older videos!

On 10/20/2017 at 10:40 AM, Runnergrl37 said:

I thought they kinda talked about Erica last night when Kelli said it's been a tough two weeks.  You can tell they cut out whatever she said about Erica and left the last few lines in.  I have a feeling they did it this because Erica was a 4 year vet and they probably did like her and didn't want to humiliate her. 

Nah. They didn't talk or reference her ALL season. Would have been weird to randomly mention the girl you purposefully skipped over the whole show. It is obvious they cut out what they said about her though.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:44 AM, ByTor said:

This!  When she's all dolled up, Kitty is not an unattractive woman, but that personality sucks.  She loves to brag about how she says things other people are afraid to, and I could see her getting praised for doing this when it comes to dance, but to call someone unattractive?  She's crossing the line, especially since, as we all know, "attractive" is an opinion.

..she still looks a mess lol

On 10/20/2017 at 3:25 PM, Loves2Dance said:

I like Kerya, but I don't think Kelli and Judy do. 

I didn't get that impression at all.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, laprin said:

I think this is another take only 32 girls year.  It would be a much stronger team. 

Nah. They keep talking about 36; I think they're not planning on making any more cuts..especially since they already had to reblock everything. 

9 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

Nah. They keep talking about 36; I think they're not planning on making any more cuts..especially since they already had to reblock everything. 

I agree they will take 36.  What I meant is that they should have only taken 32.  I can think of at least 4 girls that would have been cut in a stronger season. 

• Love 5

I'm not sure why but this season has lacked the excitement of previous seasons - I thought initially it was because I knew who was making the team and who was cut. But I also didn't know much about the Jenna and Holly drama, so you would have thought that would make this season more interesting. 

But last night I watched Season 11s second last episode and it was SO MUCH a more interesting. There were still 42 girls that they needed to cut to 36 and while I still knew who was being cut, I felt like they showed more dancing and more consistent commentary about a range of girls. You really had no idea who they were going to cut, and who you should root for. 

This season there have been so many girls that you knew would (or should) be cut by the first couple weeks of training camp: Brianna, Erin, and honestly even Christina. And the ones I was originally rooting for (Kalyssa and Keyra) seem to be getting more criticism towards the end of the season - I think this is to make the final cuts more suspenseful, but it does a disservice to the team because it's giving the impression that all TCC are a bit lackluster. 

I'm not an editor, but I wish they would spend equal amounts of time on all the training camp girls - I want to see more or Miranda, Molly, Tara etc. As a gay guy, I never thought I'd say this but I really miss costume fittings this year because it was often the only time you really got a lot of personal stories from the TCC and got a sense of their personalities, sense of humor, etc. I feel like 11 episodes in and I barely know any of the girls except the ones who've been called into the office. 

This year has felt too much like a promotional video of the Star, the hall of fame museum, and not nearly enough about the actual girls who make up the DCC!

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, scorpio1031 said:

Was her phone a Lanvin as well?  Cause she couldn't stay off the thing during the performance.

Thank you!  I wasn't sure if I was the only person who noticed it or not!  I think that was very rude of her.

Regarding Savannah as a Disney Princess:  her long, red hair might cause some folks to say that she looks like Ariel, aka The Little Mermaid.  Except for the fact the she has, you know, legs.

• Love 2

I wanted to say something about all the comments on the photo above. I don't think there was any dirty or scandalous behavior there.  If I was sitting there, I would be looking at her butt too.  In fact I look at there butts a lot when they are facing away because they look cute in those shorts and I am a woman who likes men so its not a sexual lust thing. And the other guy was just smiling. I think most people smile when they are enjoying performances. Are they supposed to look away? It is not possible to know someones heart, thoughts or character  from a face expression caught in a screen grab.  He was looking at her butt so what!!!  

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:25 AM, Rubyslippahz said:

The constant Jerry Jones Enshrinement of it all is getting tired.  So many historic moments aren't there?  Poor Lauren having to shake her bonbon practically in the laps of Jerry and Charlotte!!

When Jerrah goes off to that big football field in the sky, do you think they'll place him in a glass casket and put it on the Star so that mourners can file past and pay their respects?  And they could have the cheerleaders standing behind him doing sexy hips (in shifts, of course).

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

I wanted to say something about all the comments on the photo above. I don't think there was any dirty or scandalous behavior there.  If I was sitting there, I would be looking at her butt too.  In fact I look at there butts a lot when they are facing away because they look cute in those shorts and I am a woman who likes men so its not a sexual lust thing. And the other guy was just smiling. I think most people smile when they are enjoying performances. Are they supposed to look away? It is not possible to know someones heart, thoughts or character  from a face expression caught in a screen grab.  He was looking at her butt so what!!!  

Her butt is at his eye level. Not that Jerry wouldn’t stare at a hot cheerleader, but seriously, that’s exactly his eye level. 

• Love 3

I don't have a problem with people looking at the cheerleaders', ahem, "saddles."  I just enjoy snarking on K&J's effort to build this team up SO much when we all know what they are there for.  That dude sitting next to King Jerry knows why they are there too.  ;)

Edited by 123DCCWoooo
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Pink-n-Green said:

When Jerrah goes off to that big football field in the sky, do you think they'll place him in a glass casket and put it on the Star so that mourners can file past and pay their respects?  And they could have the cheerleaders standing behind him doing sexy hips (in shifts, of course).

Ewwie eww eww !!! That is quite the visual.

?

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 1