Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Mr. and Mrs. Mazikeen Smith

MostlyC

Realizing she wants more from life, Maze heads to Canada for a tricky case; Chloe worries Maze is being targeted by a con man; Lucifer and Chloe discover their target may be closer than they realized.

• Love 1

"I'm not worried about Maze.  I'm worried about Canada."

No Maze for the first 2 episodes and then a Maze-focus one.  Not the greatest trade off, but I'll take it.  And she brought Trixie along for the ride - sorta, anyways!  Missed those two.

Totally blanking on Herera's real name, but I recognize the actor.

Not saying much for the LA police force when you had the big scandal cover-up in the first season and now the one uncovered in this episode - having kids murdered - which proved to be just the tip of the iceberg.

Part of me wants to say that could have been Pierce at the very end - the filing cabinet with info on all the main cast of characters - but the body type wasn't quite right to be.  Easy to say its tied into the whole Sinner Man thing, but I'm kinda hoping its someone else.  So can have different story lines going at the same time.  Maybe solve this thing just started tonight by the winter hiatus break, and have Sinner Man be the main antagonist for the whole season/main focus for second half of the season.

Maze & Dan made a good team when it counted.  Kinda nice to see Dan not be the 'damsel in distress' like usual.

Probably nothing, but when Luci is using his 'whammy' on Rivers' attorney to get her to admit why she cared for him so much, they show a shot of Chloe looking at the occurrence.  I know they did it a few times in early S1, but this is the first time I remember seeing since some time in the first season.  Is this Chloe wondering how Luci has that effect on everyone but her, or just the episode's director wanting to use those camera angles/shots?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Part of me wants to say that could have been Pierce at the very end - the filing cabinet with info on all the main cast of characters - but the body type wasn't quite right to be.  Easy to say its tied into the whole Sinner Man thing, but I'm kinda hoping its someone else.  So can have different story lines going at the same time.  Maybe solve this thing just started tonight by the winter hiatus break, and have Sinner Man be the main antagonist for the whole season/main focus for second half of the season.

This episode was filmed last year before Maze went on maternity leave.  It could be it was meant to be Pierce, but he hadn't been cast yet.

• Love 5

As a Montrealer, I was happy to see my city mentioned, and was highly amused by Chloe being worried about Canada throughout the episode, haha.

I am, however, annoyed by these stupid and unrealistic Canadian accents that are always portrayed on American  TV shows.

I missed Trixie. It was nice to have her back.

• Love 10

TRIXIE! FINALLY! Still cute as a button and still a bloodthirsty one.

So yep, this one was more like it.

Not at the top-top best because I could feel it was a standalone, I'm not sure I can express it well but it had a backdoor pilot flavor. All the gimmicks were concentrated so much more obvious. Nevertheless, since I love all the gimmicks of Lucifer, I loved it.

It was good to see Maze, indeed it makes up a bit for her absence.

The Maze/Linda, Maze/Chloe/Trixie scenes and the last one with all the girls (before Lucifer showed up) made me realize how the first two episodes this season had a man man's world vibe, which is quite different than S2 and probably explains why I feel that something is off in the balance. I felt there were much more interactions in this one, and all the friendships were great. I particularly liked Chloe's genuine worry about Maze, those two have come a long way! I also loved the verbal ping-pong between Chloe and Lucifer, especially about who's a mother hen.

Dan is Ross Geller. Definitely. He was still a lovable loser at times in this episode but also showed as a good friend, a competent police officer, and saved the day at least once.

I didn't miss the characters who weren't there, except of course Amenadiel.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

The Maze/Linda, Maze/Chloe/Trixie scenes and the last one with all the girls

Haven't seen it yet, but this makes me so excited. I love when the ladies get together. I love when the show lets characters who don't often spend time together get together. And these ladies have great chemistry. I LOVED ladies night last season, when they all hung out together.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, DEL901 said:

This episode was filmed last year before Maze went on maternity leave.  It could be it was meant to be Pierce, but he hadn't been cast yet.

Ah, ok then.  I hadn't realized or known that this was one of 'those' episodes.  Guess I should've(?).

It is too bad that Herrera turned out to be a bad guy because I quite liked the actor. I wouldn't have minded if they worked him into the main story, but it looks like it is not to be. 

And a shout-out to whichever writer came up with the button over the gunshot wound! That was a believably and totally Maze thing to do.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, CaptainTightpants said:

Nooooooooo, don't go back to L.A.! Stay in Canada Maze, we have doughnuts here! 

Technically she already spends time in Canada.  Doesn't Lucifer film in both Los Angeles and Vancouver?

Besides, not only do we have doughnuts in the USA, we have Voodoo Doughnuts.

• Love 1

Lastly, a couple of things became clear in this episode. 

Lesley Ann Brandt is deeply and sorely missed. Even with Tom Ellis' charm and charisma, her absence is felt in the new season. So I hope that the studio gets her some 'round the clock nannies and she starts shooting again soon. There is no substitute for Maze!

Dan is a great dad and pretty awesome ex-husband as well. Hustling off to check on things when you are about to jet off to a long-awaited Hawaiian vacation gets you massive good-guy bonus points! Add in the fact that he brought a snowball to a gunfight and I think we should make him an honorary Canadian. (:

4 minutes ago, johntfs said:

Technically she already spends time in Canada.  Doesn't Lucifer film in both Los Angeles and Vancouver?

Those do look impressive, but Canada has the highest per capita doughnut consumption of any country in the world. We have boutique doughnuts EVERYWHERE! And also these guys who are close cousins, http://beavertails.com/en/.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

It is too bad that Herrera turned out to be a bad guy because I quite liked the actor. I wouldn't have minded if they worked him into the main story, but it looks like it is not to be. 

I think there are more than enough characters already. They don't need another one by any means.

1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

Lesley Ann Brandt is deeply and sorely missed. Even with Tom Ellis' charm and charisma, her absence is felt in the new season. So I hope that the studio gets her some 'round the clock nannies and she starts shooting again soon. There is no substitute for Maze!

As far as I know, she's already back on set. There was a photo of Ellis and Brandt's baby not too long ago. That aside, I hope that she works as much or as little as she wants (and her contract allows her to). It's her baby after all and if she wants to and can contractually scale back a little at the moment, then I think she well should!

• Love 1

Not the best episode, but it was still damn good. Maze was amazing, and so was everyone else. Loved Trixie hiding in the bag so that she could travel along with Maze.  I also loved how everyone was worried about Maze, including Lucifer, Chloe, and Linda. They kept finding excuses to contact her and make sure she was alright. The final scene was exceptional as they all breathed a sigh of relief that Maze returned safely.

Loved the domestication of Mazekeen as she realized that she missed her family back in Los Angeles.

Chloe has seen Lucifer use his gift from his dad so often that she no longer questions his use of it. If you watch closely during the interrogation, she looks at Lucifer and gives him a nod to go ahead, do his thing. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Did anyone catch whose name was on the folder farthest back in the file cabinet at the end of the episode.  Is there a fifth angel /demon on the show that I'm forgetting?   

I couldn't read it. It seemed to me that there was only one word. Uriel was on the show, Azrael was mentioned. Could be any of them. Or maybe it was the Sinnerman's file/real name.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I couldn't read it. It seemed to me that there was only one word. Uriel was on the show, Azrael was mentioned. Could be any of them. Or maybe it was the Sinnerman's file/real name.

I'm sure from what I could make out that it wasn't Azrael or Uriel.  I found a review that said it was Gaudium and based on the definition I think you are right that its Sinnerman's name.

This episode seemed so out of place. I wasn't sure what was going on. It wasn't a very good episode. Not well written and it seemed liked the actors were all phoning it in. 

The fugitive said that every time you kill someone, you lose a piece of your soul. Maybe every time Maze helps someone, she gains a little piece of soul. 

Dr. Linda has been drinking a lot more. 

I'm assuming this was one of the original extra 4 episodes shot while Lesley AB was pregnant, in which case a shout out to the production crew for best use of Canadian weather to put a "skin tight" clothes wearing character in bulky jackets!

That said I'm not a fan of this trend of making Lucifer nothing more than the bumbling comic relief in his own show.  I hope this trend turns around soon.

Edited by storyskip
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Did anyone catch whose name was on the folder farthest back in the file cabinet at the end of the episode.  Is there a fifth angel /demon on the show that I'm forgetting?   

The last folder had the name GAUDIUM.

• Love 1

For a filler episode, not bad. The quips were right on(Dave Matthews Band was to music what He Man was to 80's toys. Why why why?????). It will be good to get back on schedule however.

1 hour ago, JonasArm said:

The last folder had the name GAUDIUM.

Sounds like a chemical element out of the periodic table :-P

2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm sure from what I could make out that it wasn't Azrael or Uriel.  I found a review that said it was Gaudium and based on the definition I think you are right that its Sinnerman's name.

That would mean that they already knew that they'd bring in Sinnerman in the middle of last season. Not saying it's impossible, just surprising (in a positive way).

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Sounds like a chemical element out of the periodic table :-P

That would mean that they already knew that they'd bring in Sinnerman in the middle of last season. Not saying it's impossible, just surprising (in a positive way).

Figure most shows have at least basic outlines of where they want to go a season or two out.  Figure before Season One was fully filmed the showrunners probably knew that Season Two (if they got one) would involve "Mom" while Season Three (if they got one) would deal with the Sinnerman.  They probably hadn't fully fleshed out all those concepts, but they likely knew generally where they wanted to go.

Does FOX air Lucifer on their site?  I missed this episode and am so pissed at myself because I needed some Maze and Trixie.

Great to see Trixie & Maze, I've missed them both. I'm also glad not to hear about the SinnerMan because I'm already sick of him, though a standalone episode doesn't have quite the right feel to the show.

2 hours ago, storyskip said:

That said I'm not a fan of this trend of making Lucifer nothing more than the bumbling comic relief in his own show.  I hope this trend turns around soon.

YES!, They took away the dangerous part of him, I want his devil face back, I want the bad guy part of him back, I want the "Trixie is a stripper name."  part of him back.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

TRIXIE! FINALLY! Still cute as a button and still a bloodthirsty one.

The thumb across the throat was priceless! ❤

So, can demons acquire souls? And salvation?

• Love 2

Funny thing about the button is that buttons can and often are used in suturing wounds on horse joints since movement of said joints can cause the stitches to rip out and the buttons relieve tension on the stitches.    I don't think that was Maze's intent and it was funny, but it is definitely a thing.  

http://www.horseandman.com/medical/have-you-ever-heard-of-a-laceration-held-together-by-buttons-me-neither/01/09/2016/

• Love 5
19 hours ago, johntfs said:

Well, this episode was filmed in Vancouver.   But any new episodes will be shot in L.A. since production moved back to the U.S. at the request of Lauren German. 

I enjoyed this one,  I'm not sure if it's because season 2 was better or if Maze just brings that much to the show.   They did a great job hiding the actresses pregnancy.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:03 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Marco Sanchez--he played a drug cartel minion over on NCIS, a few years ago. Son of the drug cartel leader who murdered Gibbs's (Mark Harmon's) wife and daughter and was seeking revenge with his sister who ran the cartel, 20 years later. I recognized him from his voice alone.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

The first two episodes felt like place holders until the full band was back together,  given how the last one ended with Lucifer  Back In Business, I would have liked follow  up to that. However I know some of this season is going to be off because of those hold over episodes. I enjoyed  this one anyway, and it's smart to use a Maze centered episode since they had two without  her. It was a lot of fun. 

Lucifer  and Linda in the office was nice in an "old times" way. I found Lucifers  "he broke my Maze" oddly nice.

Chloe's worry about Canada was hilarious. Did Dan say his vacation was "few weeks?" That's a long ass vacation. Going from LA to Hawaii with a layover in Canada?  Ooookay Dan.

Trixie!!

The end was probably  suppose to be Sinnerman related but we also still don't know where Charlotte Richards is going to fit into the season. She could be having someone track the people she's heard she spent last year around... or something. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Trixie!!

I love how universally excited/exercised we as fans get over the presence/absence of this little girl.  In almost every other show I can think of, a child actor promotes indifference or downright dislike.  In Lucifer Scarlet Estevez has become one of the main draws to the show.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 10

This was my favorite ep since early season 1. I just adore Maze and would watch the hell out of Maze: Bounty Hunter. Chloe is so much better around Maze and Trixie. I love Linda too, and loved the scene of Linda getting wasted haha, but also when Maze called her for medical tutoring.

I wasn't too keen on the casting for the guy she was hunting because all that talk of how charming he was, and how Maze seemed to be falling for him and I just didn't get it! Unless....he is also some sort of angel/demon/etc. and Herrera was actually hunting demons in some way.

I know Lucifer was marginalized a bit in this one, but honestly, I kind of prefer Maze's struggle to fit in in our world as a soulless demon to his daddy (and mummy) issues.

Trixie is freaking adorable! I LOVE her and Maze's relationship. When Charming guy (is it Rivers?) was saying she should run off with him because she has no family I was all "slow your roll there dude, Maze has a family!" she has friends, she has roots now. I wonder what she would do now if she were offered the change to go back to Hell and take up her old life.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

Going from LA to Hawaii with a layover in Canada?  Ooookay Dan.

Dan used all his miles for the trip, so he had to do three layovers. Luci had a good time ribbing Daniel for that.

Loved having Trixie back. And Maze! Don't ever leave us again. Really glad to see her get an episode, so I had a lot of fun with this one.

Others have picked up on the points I was going to make, so just a couple of nitpicks. Moderately handsome guy (Luci's petty jealousy will never get old) said he did plenty of awful things and implied he had killed people, he just didn't kill the two teenagers. If that's so, did he serve jail time for those acts? If not, there might be a bounty on him. Certainly, if he murdered others, Chloe would want him brought in as there's no statute of limitations on murder. But, the worst thing was the criminal under use of Erica Cerra. I liked when Chloe gave Luci the green light to use his powers to get her to confess, but, when I saw her name in the opening credits, I thought she would have a bigger part.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

On 10/16/2017 at 6:03 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Marco Sanchez--he played a drug cartel minion over on NCIS, a few years ago. Son of the drug cartel leader who murdered Gibbs's (Mark Harmon's) wife and daughter and was seeking revenge with his sister who ran the cartel, 20 years later. I recognized him from his voice alone.

From his voice alone?  Dang, you did well.  I prefer this version and I thought I had seen the eyes before, but I never related the charm of this one with the scuzz of the NCIS one. 

Looking at his Google images, yep. 

1 hour ago, johntfs said:

I love how universally excited/exercised we as fans get over the presence/absence of this little girl.  In almost every other show I can think of, a child actor promotes indifference or downright dislike.  In Lucifier Scarlet Estevez has become one of the main draws to the show.

I loved seeing Trixie again, but now I'm wondering if she's only going to be in the 4 standalone episodes. Kids grow & change so quickly, does she even look the same as she did last year when this episode was filmed? 

34 minutes ago, GaT said:

I loved seeing Trixie again, but now I'm wondering if she's only going to be in the 4 standalone episodes. Kids grow & change so quickly, does she even look the same as she did last year when this episode was filmed? 

Scarlet Estevez turns 10 this December, so she was likely 9 when this episode was filmed.  I doubt she's changed all that much,  The more likely explanation is that she was busy filming Daddy's Home 2 when Lucifer's third season starting filming so she missed being in the first few episodes the same way Lesley-Ann Brandt missed them for maternity leave.  Probably one reason they moved the four episodes from the second season to the third was so that Maze and Trixie wouldn't be so obviously absent from the program.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

Scarlet Estevez turns 10 this December, so she was likely 9 when this episode was filmed.  I doubt she's changed all that much,  The more likely explanation is that she was busy filming Daddy's Home 2 when Lucifer's third season starting filming so she missed being in the first few episodes the same way Lesley-Ann Brandt missed them for maternity leave.  Probably one reason they moved the four episodes from the second season to the third was so that Maze and Trixie wouldn't be so obviously absent from the program.

t66gnuazinw8lcjtd5jz.gif

• Love 12
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I've liked him since I first saw him on Seaquest DSV, all these years ago. I wish he would get steady work, instead of being recurring/guest all over the map.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Going from LA to Hawaii with a layover in Canada?  Ooookay Dan.

On those cheap flights, yeah.  I remember a coworker a few years back talking about flying out of Phoenix to somewhere in Mexico with a layover in Minnesota.

22 minutes ago, gik910 said:

But also - fugitive guy's lawyer was Jo Lupo!

That was awesome seeing Erica Serra again.  Don't know why she doesn't get more work.

2 hours ago, GaT said:

Aimee Garcia has posted an Instagram video of them dancing since filming resumed and Leslie-Ann pics  of various cast members including Scarlett with the her baby, so it seems Trixie is around in other eps.

I think Trixie is so awesome because she's not around all the time. They really make use of her and especially  in the first season she was  more of a device  to show Luci doesn't  understand  Small Humans. Trixie loves Maze and Lucifer but she's  not being used to pit anyone against  their parents  (on most shows by now I think I we'd have heard Trixie tell Dan Lucifer is more fun or something or would have wanted Chloe to go to Canada not Maze. )

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Delphi said:

Well, this episode was filmed in Vancouver.   But any new episodes will be shot in L.A. since production moved back to the U.S. at the request of Lauren German.

Why? Does she hate Canada? Sorry, I'm protective of my country, lol.

18 hours ago, johntfs said:

Does FOX air Lucifer on their site?  I missed this episode and am so pissed at myself because I needed some Maze and Trixie.

They do. If you sign in with your US TV provider, you can watch the episode right away, otherwise, you have to wait a week (until after the next episode aired)

18 hours ago, GaT said:

YES!, They took away the dangerous part of him, I want his devil face back, I want the bad guy part of him back, I want the "Trixie is a stripper name."  part of him back.

Well, they moved it to 8 p.m. ... He wasn't even allowed to actually smoke before, so, it might be due to the new time slot (which was part of what I was afraid of).

1 minute ago, jewel21 said:

Why? Does she hate Canada? Sorry, I'm protective of my country, lol.

I hadn't heard that it was at German's request but usually actors request it because they want to be closer to their family. I hope it doesn't hurt the show though, as I've heard that filming in Canada is cheaper.

• Love 1

Very much a stand alone adventure, but it was so great to see Maz and Trixie again! The show just wasn't the same with them, especially Maz. I can understand wanting to not overuse Trixie (plus the young actress can only work so long) but Maz is so awesome, every episode is improved with her around.

Chloe was so concerned over Canada! Poor Canada, they have no idea whats coming! I also loved how much of what Maz got into (ski resort, possible bear attack, fight in hockey bar) was so very Canadian! Also, it was nice to see Dan getting a win. The poor guy really needed one. 

Not to be an asshole, but the guy Maz was trying to catch didn't really live up to the hype as this amazing, charismatic sex god he was built up as by the women he seduced. The dude just looked like an average guy (not bad looking by any means, but not even as hot as any of the main guys in the cast) and didn't really seem that smooth or sexy or magnetic. Maybe because he is SUPER good with handcuffs. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

but not even as hot as any of the main guys in the cast) and didn't really seem that smooth or sexy or magnetic.

This reminded me of something I noticed this ep. Lucifer (Ellis) is hot as hell, sexy, charismatic, etc. But when he does his "what is your desire face" it always makes me laugh because he gets unsexy to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like his features change and become exaggerated and his eyes go all weird. Like, if he tries to be all magnetic and sexy he looses it. It happened again with the lawyer. He did his "tell me your desire" schtick and I looked at him and thought "he's actually not that sexy", but then he stopped it and I was like "damn, he's fine". Maybe I just don't like guys who try too hard. 

And Dan was totally my MVP (besides Maze who holds that title for life) this ep. I just love Dan. I am glad they didn't make him a total asshole loser in order to make Lucy seem like an even better option. They can both be hot, delicious, strong men. I loved him throwing the snowball. lol It was a good distraction. A Maze looks smokin' hot covered in snow so that was a bonus. I'm 100% straight female but I'm pretty sure I'd let her give my boobs a rub down. ;)

• Love 5