Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/9/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes she was good. I didn't know  they fired her. I assumed she quit. Was a reason ecè given? 

Nichole jokes on her show that it was because she didn't know who Beyonce is.  Of course that's an exaggeration but truth is that she was fired because she wasn't up on pop culture.  She was too smart for The View.  

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Nichole jokes on her show that it was because she didn't know who Beyonce is.  Of course that's an exaggeration but truth is that she was fired because she wasn't up on pop culture.  She was too smart for The View.  

I watch her show often but missed this.  I have no words.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, wings707 said:

Yes she was good. I didn't know  they fired her. I assumed she quit. Was a reason ecè given? 

Is there ever? Perhaps because she knew more than Whoopi or Joy.lol. 

I really don't know, but I've heard her new show is doing well. I'm happy for her,.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

She was too smart, I totally agree.  She also had the unique, inside experience of a how the White House worked, and whenever she tried to share that experience Joy would interrupt with an anecdote, Whoopi would add her two cents, usually starting with "Look, this is the thing..."

There was an issue with Nichole not knowing anything about pop culture.  She would ask questions like "What is hip-hop?" and "Who are the Kardashians?".  But the bigger issue was Nichole spoke in paragraphs while all the other panelists spoke in sound bytes.

NW is in her element on MSNBC; it's a much better fit.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 14

Was it really possible Nicolle was that clueless about pop culture though?  My impression was she wanted to appear she was above all that trivial stuff.  There is nothing wrong with knowing all the names of the Supreme Court Justices and all the Voice judges.

• Love 7

I thought when Megan began talking about her father's battle with cancer, she was going to bring up the topic of regular folks like my stepfather who passed from brain cancer , and the constant battle with insurance companies to pay up, not to mention the exhorbiatnt costs of medication ($1000 a month in my stepdad's case) just to keep themselves alive. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

Was it really possible Nicolle was that clueless about pop culture though? 

Not all pop culture.  Only the stuff mentioned on The View.  I can only recall two specific instances when she admitted she didn't know what was going on.  One was in reference to hip-hop culture, she had no clue; the other was the Kardashians, she couldn't tell them apart.

4 minutes ago, zenme said:

I thought when Megan began talking about her father's battle with cancer, she was going to bring up the topic of regular folks like my stepfather who passed from brain cancer , and the constant battle with insurance companies to pay up,

Right, that's what MM's going to bring up!  I'm sure Cindy was on the phone all night with the insurance companies!  :)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

She was too smart, I totally agree.  She also had the unique, inside experience of a how the White House worked, and whenever she tried to share that experience Joy would interrupt with an anecdote, Whoopi would add her two cents, usually starting with "Look, this is the thing..."

There was an issue with Nichole not knowing anything about pop culture.  She would ask questions like "What is hip-hop?" and "Who are the Kardashians?".  But the bigger issue was Nichole spoke in paragraphs while all the other panelists spoke in sound bytes.

NW is in her element on MSNBC; it's a much better fit.

She's REALLY in her element there & it highlights just how much she knows.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

She's REALLY in her element there & it highlights just how much she knows.

She is wonderful over there.  Her hair is still fabulous.  She brings a wealth of knowledge about the inner workings of a White house. Plus, her disillusionment with her party adds another layer to her show.  I love Steve Schmidt and he is also wonderful as a commentator who just like Nicole is re-examining what it now means to be a conservative and a Republican in the era that we are currently living in our country.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Joy wasn't on the same season as Nicolle. I think she met her when she guested once though.

Nicolle is a smart woman--so was Jedidiah Bila, even though I cared for her even less--but I think the reason she isn't on The View anymore is because she wasn't likable while she was there. I imagine she might've worked better on this show on a season without Whoopi. Of course, Whoopi's never left the show, so that never would've happened. Just speaking for myself, I thought she was rarely insightful on this show; when she talked about her experience, she never went deeper than getting a dig in at Sarah Palin. I have seen her a couple times on MSNBC and she does seem like a better fit there where there aren't as many people surrounding her to cause a strange clique-esque power dynamic.

There's also the fact that the people behind the scenes kept changing their vision/priorities for the show. First they got rid of Joy/Elisabeth and brought on Jenny McCarthy for there to be a more light-hearted fluff show. Then when that failed because nobody wanted it, they brought Nicolle and the Rosie's on for something smarter/more political. When that failed (because of Whoopi's ego), they reverted to fluff again, catering to young viewers with Michelle/Raven. Then when they got Joy back on, they ended up re-aligning the show back to what it used to be when she was last there. So you have so many co-hosts, like Jenny, Nicolle, Michelle, etc. who were fired for the very same reason they were hired.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, NeverLate said:

They did, Nichole Wallace, she was far too bright for this show, but they fired her anyway. 

Didn't they fire her because she lacked knowledge of pop culture?  We lost her...bit got candace, Paula, Jed, and now MM :(

• Love 3
1 hour ago, susieq147 said:

Was it really possible Nicolle was that clueless about pop culture though?  My impression was she wanted to appear she was above all that trivial stuff.  There is nothing wrong with knowing all the names of the Supreme Court Justices and all the Voice judges.

The thing is that they have pre-show meetings.  They don't go in cold, so there's no excuse to be ignorant.  You can Google before the show.  I think she was trying to show that she was above such things.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, susieq147 said:

I hate to break it to Megan but I think it's her personality that makes people not want to welcome her into their circle not her poltical beliefs.

Yup - she's a bit of a snot (to put it mildly).

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

There's also the fact that the people behind the scenes kept changing their vision/priorities for the show. First they got rid of Joy/Elisabeth and brought on Jenny McCarthy for there to be a more light-hearted fluff show. Then when that failed because nobody wanted it, they brought Nicolle and the Rosie's on for something smarter/more political. When that failed (because of Whoopi's ego), they reverted to fluff again, catering to young viewers with Michelle/Raven. Then when they got Joy back on, they ended up re-aligning the show back to what it used to be when she was last there. So you have so many co-hosts, like Jenny, Nicolle, Michelle, etc. who were fired for the very same reason they were hired.

I don't know why it has to be either/or.  Fluff or smart and thought provoking.  It is possible to be able to talk about politics and also talk about the latest Hollywood scandal.  I will never forget Barbara equating the View audience with Wal Mart shoppers.  It was her way of saying people who watch the View aren't very knowledgeable.  And why she painstakingly explained everything to us.  Seems to me the dumbing down of the View started when Whoopi came aboard.  Before her with the exception of Elisabeth all the co hosts were very smart and able to pretty much have a conversation about anything.

• Love 6

This thread is for discussion of the show the week of 10/9/2017.  If you are not discussing this week's shows, you are in the wrong thread. 

If you are having a conversation about former hosts' of The View, please have it in this thread. 

I've now seen the entire week. I'm surprised that I'm not as annoyed with MM as I thought I'd be. She seems very humourless - I watch the end of the topics and she's usually just sitting there as they go to black, not interacting or checking her phone. I honestly don't know which way it's going to go.

• Love 1

On a shallow note, loved Sara's hair today!  (Just giving it dual opportunity) what do they call that in the news when they have some affiliation on and then they also have to have the opposing on for equal time, y'all know what Im trying to say. Or not lol.  Conclude rambling..........NOW!  Seacrest Out!  :)

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

I've now seen the entire week. I'm surprised that I'm not as annoyed with MM as I thought I'd be. She seems very humourless - I watch the end of the topics and she's usually just sitting there as they go to black, not interacting or checking her phone. I honestly don't know which way it's going to go.

Ok typing this for the third try:

MM couldnt have been more uncomfortable with Clay Aiken.  She couldnt even look him in the eyes.  (Hmmmm on a sidebar, I think that might be shyness) on another shallow note, why does Clay keep messing with his hair color?  He had the most beautiful blend of ginger.

19 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

Equal time rule is what I was thinking of

Thanks Susie!

(p.s. I have a special fondness for that name, Susie.  Our family cat, that we had many many many years, all my growing up years.  Her name was Susie too  :))

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Fannysue said:

I saw the movie and it was excellent.  Chadwick did an incredible job.

They were also saying it got 100% yes on Rotton Tomatoes.  Not sure if thats ever happened before

• Love 1

YAY - love a day when Joy and Susie Essman are together!  You can certainly see why they're such good friends - cut from the same bolt of cloth, those two.  How I'd love to go out and have a glass (or 10) of wine with them!

• Love 8

Did Sarah and/or Sunny mention that they went to a Wendy Williams taping? Wendy's show comes on at 1pm here and the both of them were in the audience. I'm pretty sure Wendy doesn't tape on Fridays so today's show was probably done yesterday afternoon.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Fannysue said:

I saw the movie and it was excellent.  Chadwick did an incredible job.

They were also saying it got 100% yes on Rotton Tomatoes.  Not sure if thats ever happened before

• Love 1

Meghan talks a lot about her weight. (Trust me, woman, I totally understand.) But here's the thing. She dresses dowdy. She is overweight by popular standards, but she's also zaftig... voluptuous... curvy... other complimentary adjectives. A lot of people admire and prefer her body type. Instead of wearing calf-length black dresses, she should really highlight her assets. Right now she looks like an elderly nun at the end of the table. She's never going to have a Paula-like body. But my guess is she could look fabulous without resorting to the equivalent of burqas.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

What sort of reactions was Megan McCain giving to Susie Essman's anti-Trump jokes?

Keep in mind that she dislikes him intensely. But she's flying the flag hard that she's still a conservative Republican. Probably more a true Republican than Trump, to be honest.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I don't think Whoopi works that way. 

As a matter of fact I think she lured MM to The View in order to drag her through the coals.

If MM really thinks that Whoopi "reached out to her" in a gesture of goodwill, then MM is dumber than what we already thought. 

Sara (about Trump): "how about having conversations instead of shutting down anyone that disagrees with you."

She could have easily turned to her right and directed that statement to Whoopi.

Im not sure, could W   go that low, knowing how low she had to fight to get to her ranking of Godmother?  As far as the reaching out, no doubt another sort of power move.  Hear what she has to say, play her out.  Then give her the business of how things work, chain of command etc and probably other other.  And did get the ring kissed before parting heh...but also to MM saying constantly fox news, or my personal favorite 'its my job....' yada yada 

18 minutes ago, rcc said:

Wasn't Wendy Williams supposed to be on the show today (Friday). I wonder what happened there.

I thought she was. I don't really know her, I don't watch her show. So I was also wondering what happened. Maybe she'll be on later in the week? 

Any day I see Clay on my TV is a good day. After looking around online, it appears that he and MM have been good friends for the past few years and that he used to guest on her radio show. He was also in the front row on Monday supporting her during her first appearance. (And I love his hair)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Tammee said:

I think you mean 100% fresh.  Rotten Tomatoes scores fresh or rotten.  There have actually been quite a lot of 100% films, but most of them are older movies.  

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Aileen said:

Any day I see Clay on my TV is a good day. After looking around online, it appears that he and MM have been good friends for the past few years and that he used to guest on her radio show. He was also in the front row on Monday supporting her during her first appearance. (And I love his hair)

Yep.  Not sure why a poster upthread thought Meghan was uncomfortable with Clay since they've been friends for years, and he was a regular guest on her radio show.  And the theme of the bit on today's show was BFFs.  Why would she invite anyone other than her friend?  Yes, he was in the front row of the audience on Meghan's first day on The View.  Clay even spent election night last November at her apartment waiting for the election results to come in.  They tweeted out a photo of them eating spaghetti and watching the results.   

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, susieq147 said:

I hate to break it to Megan but I think it's her personality that makes people not want to welcome her into their circle not her poltical beliefs.  Maybe if she stopped using words like culture war and tribal she wouldn't come across as so divisive.   As a self proclaimed liberal I know I wouldn't want to hang out with someone who said we were fighting a culture war.  When the right uses that term what they mean is they are living and promoting the "correct" way to live and those who aren't living that way are wrong.   So yeah Megan I can understand why the other side wouldn't want to be friends with you.

I think she may confuse people.  She leads with being pro-gay rights and anti-racism, then drops these coded words.  She wouldn't badmouth Dubya when she was on Bill Maher (for the hateful accusations about her sister), and she won't trash Trump for his comments about her dying father.  I don't think any right-leaning people who watch this show want MM to be impartial about the attack upon her own dying father.

• Love 6

Meghan is a typical girl born with a ton of a money and the nepotism to slide into positions where she can pontificate. She's socially liberal, but, being born into such privilege, she carries some of the same beliefs the right champions. She cannot relate to non-wealth, she is completely self-absorbed, and really only seems to have a strong point about something when it's a cause that affects her personally. I do think she's rather harmless, and I don't believe she is a hateful person. I do think she is woefully ignorant to real issues facing the country, because she has never had to deal with too much. Daddy got brain cancer at 80 years old, she has been body shamed online, and people have said some mean things. That's about it with her. But, she most definitely feels like she knows what's up with the world, but, she has no clue. She found her little niche again for now. It'll work until it doesn't.. Then she'll be back online mostly, until the next spot opens up. She's boring, self-absorbed, and uninteresting. But, I don't find her hateful. 

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

But, she most definitely feels like she knows what's up with the world,

Yup. And that's exactly what she said yesterday: that it was her "Job" to teach Whoopi, Sara, Joy and Sunny about the "culture war" that apparently is a new "thing." And that phrase is just another coded word, like her saying that the Take the Knee protests were rooted in..."Tribal." ??????

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yup. And that's exactly what she said yesterday: that it was her "Job" to teach Whoopi, Sara, Joy and Sunny about the "culture war" that apparently is a new "thing." And that phrase is just another coded word, like her saying that the Take the Knee protests were rooted in..."Tribal." ??????

Don't forget Silicone Valley, another coded word for the coastal elites.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, rcc said:

Wasn't Wendy Williams supposed to be on the show today (Friday). I wonder what happened there.

I forgot about her. Good riddance, tbh. I imagine she didn't want to be asked about her marriage drama since she's a hypocrite who only enjoys talking about other people like dogs.

Susie Essman and Joy were fun. I had no idea at first that it was Clay Aiken until they said who he was. The announcer guy said something else about how they were opposite ends of the spectrum, red and blue, which I didn't get because didn't Clay Aiken run as a Republican in NC a while back? As far as Meghan, she should be congratulated for actually managing to smile today.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, backformore said:

I love Clay Aiken, I wish they had him on for a longer segment. (And how about a SONG?)

But the blond hair? No, go back to red.

I would of liked him to have sung! As he and MM are good friends, maybe he'll be on again( soon)

I liked his blond hair..

19 hours ago, maggiemae said:

MM definitely thinks she is special......and the most special co-host.

I think they all think they are special, sadly none of them are,

Edited by NeverLate
  • Love 2

I thought Clay was going white/gray...so we think it is blond? Whatever it is, I may be the only person that thought it looked flattering on good Ole Clay. Ahhhhhh the week is finally finally over, can they just fire MM now so I can enjoy my show?

• Love 8