Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers And Shockers

• Start Topic

Eric abandoned his wife and the child he claimed to love like his own so he could assuage his ego playing the savior.   It's not personal to Nicole, I think he'd have done the same thing to Sarah and that child as well.

For all of his beatific smiles and ease of judging others, with Eric it comes down to his need to be worshiped, to be seen as the better man, no matter how silly it is or who pays the price.

Those two were never made for the long haul.

(The optics of an African woman begging a white American male to come and "save" them was pretty awful to begin with).

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I know that there is supposed to be this great love between Ben and Ciara, but I don't like how the whole story is driven by the privilege VK has to come and go as she pleases. We know the couple is end game, but by the time they get around to it, those people who care will be over it. I think she needs to commit or to leave and then let the story move on or recast the role. It's like she is holding the show hostage and she is just not that good!

Absolutely agree. Her coming and going is ridiculous. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

It is nonsense that Nicole couldn't get another flight. There isn't just one plane that goes to the Congo. They have multiple flights. Daily. She has money and could easily buy a ticket at last minute, full-priced fare. And if she still couldn't get a flight, she is friends with Brady who could have arranged for the Titan jet to take her over there. John would have been happy to charter a plane for her.

She had options. 

So  not sorry for her at all.

The writers probably didn't think this through and how much nonsense it is that she couldn't make her way to Africa.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, boes said:

Eric abandoned his wife and the child he claimed to love like his own so he could assuage his ego playing the savior.   It's not personal to Nicole, I think he'd have done the same thing to Sarah and that child as well.

For all of his beatific smiles and ease of judging others, with Eric it comes down to his need to be worshiped, to be seen as the better man, no matter how silly it is or who pays the price.

Those two were never made for the long haul.

(The optics of an African woman begging a white American male to come and "save" them was pretty awful to begin with).

He didn't do it to assuage his ego. Someone, I think they had prior history, asked him for his help because they'd worked together previously and he, apparently, was very helpful, so she turned to him again. He didn't go looking for this and he turned her down. Nicole was the one who convinced him he should do it. Yes, it was never supposed to go on for so long, but it wasn't his idea. I can absolutely fault Eric for deciding to continue extending his stay without discussing it with his wife, but he's not some horrible person because he's off helping people.

Your view is a gallon world's away from how I've ever seen Eric written. He does not need to be worshipped.

Are only other minorities supposed to help minorities because, otherwise, "optics?"

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

He didn't do it to assuage his ego. Someone, I think they had prior history, asked him for his help because they'd worked together previously and he, apparently, was very helpful, so she turned to him again. He didn't go looking for this and he turned her down. Nicole was the one who convinced him he should do it. Yes, it was never supposed to go on for so long, but it wasn't his idea. I can absolutely fault Eric for deciding to continue extending his stay without discussing it with his wife, but he's not some horrible person because he's off helping people.

Your view is a gallon world's away from how I've ever seen Eric written. He does not need to be worshipped.

Are only other minorities supposed to help minorities because, otherwise, "optics?"

We disagree there.  All I 've ever seen with GV's  Eric, especially since he left the priesthood, was a humorless man in love with his own piety and judgement of others.  

They did have prior history - key word there is "prior" while he had current responsibilities of a new marriage and a child he was supposedly delighted to raise as his own.  And he scuttled out of there as soon as he heard the magic words of "We need you" to the detriment of his wife and child.  Nicole only told him what she knew he wanted to hear - one look at his Eyeore eyes made that clear.  It takes a lot of hubris to think that only you can solve a problem.  

And yes, the optics of an African begging a white American to save them as if there was nobody local with commensurate skills looks awful in the light of 400 years of colonial exploitation of Africa by non-Africans.

Besides, Eric's a photographer.  Were they having a Kodak moment gone bad?

Edited by boes
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, boes said:

We disagree there.  All I 've ever seen with GV's  Eric, especially since he left the priesthood, was a humorless man in love with his own piety and judgement of others.  

They did have prior history - key word there is "prior" while he had current responsibilities of a new marriage and a child he was supposedly delighted to raise as his own.  And he scuttled out of there as soon as he heard the magic words of "We need you" to the detriment of his wife and child.  Nicole only told him what she knew he wanted to hear - one look at his Eyeore eyes made that clear.  It takes a lot of hubris to think that only you can solve a problem.  

And yes, the optics of an African begging a white American to save them as if there was nobody local with commensurate skills looks awful in the light of 400 years of colonial exploitation of Africa by non-Africans.

👏🥂🍻👏

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, boes said:

I agree that Nicole saw the look in his eyes and could not say no.

Eric could have gone for 3-4 months and spent time training others to do the work. Make a template on how X works. There are many, many well educated and experienced folks living in African countries. Some work for the UN and other agencies. Those would,be more handy than Eric, since they have access to money and the necessary resources and people power. Use Eric as a consultant. Too much helping hinders others. Part of me thinks he wanted to escape the ups and downs of marriage.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Chellfairy said:

Aww, man, how longggg is he gonna be back for😒😫🥺

I don't know but I do know it'll feel like forever.

• LOL 11
On 7/7/2021 at 7:31 PM, Frozendiva said:

The writers probably didn't think this through and how much nonsense it is that she couldn't make her way to Africa.

If everybody and their current lover can fly back and forth to South Africa, she could make it to Congo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

The sad thing about Eric is that he had so much potential to be a great hero like his uncle Bo, his dad Roman and John when he was Roman. It is a damn shame that the show only cares about Sami. I always felt that the show should have explored how losing John as his dad, Roman and Marlena's disappearances, Marlena's affair with John affected Eric's psyche and how that shaped his relationships with women.  He does not trust women.

I have always noticed with Eric that any perceived betrayal by a woman is grounds for him to turn on her and dismiss her.  As someone who was ordained as a priest, he is far from being charitable and forgiving.  He is very judgmental and resentful.  Personally, I always hated him becoming a priest in the first place because it went nowhere, it was just a gimmick that neutered Eric. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I’m glad Eric is only going to be around for a week. It’s time Nicole got a divorce and moved into a new direction.

Well, the spoilers show Sami finding the saved letter that Nicole wrote to Eric then didn't send.  I hope they blackmail each other into silence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, brisbydog said:

I just saw a photo on Twitter showing Chad pulling the letter out of the fireplace 

I love this lol.

10 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I’m glad Eric is only going to be around for a week.

I thought someone said he filmed for a week but it was gonna be way more episodes than a week's worth that he actually appears in. But maybe I was misunderstanding.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Preview for next week. Am I supposed to like Sami? Because she’s a raging hypocrite!

I guess I'm in the minority because I like this preview. First, I love the cast integration. second, this is classic soap. Nicole is at her happiest just when Sami has information to destroy every thing she's worked for. Last, this is classic Sami. A truly cruel, vicious human-being who doesn't care who she hurts in her quest for vengeance. Carrie knows that all too well.  Speaking of, I wish Carrie was here. She's the only John/Marlena/Roman child that isn't there. I'm obviously not counting Paul or the Gemini twins.  

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

The sad thing about Eric is that he had so much potential to be a great hero like his uncle Bo, his dad Roman and John when he was Roman. It is a damn shame that the show only cares about Sami. I always felt that the show should have explored how losing John as his dad, Roman and Marlena's disappearances, Marlena's affair with John affected Eric's psyche and how that shaped his relationships with women.  He does not trust women.

I have always noticed with Eric that any perceived betrayal by a woman is grounds for him to turn on her and dismiss her.  As someone who was ordained as a priest, he is far from being charitable and forgiving.  He is very judgmental and resentful.  Personally, I always hated him becoming a priest in the first place because it went nowhere, it was just a gimmick that neutered Eric. 

Yes that would be so much preferable for Eric to have issue with women because of this. I also saw no point in making him a priest and it was worse after the whole Kristen rape and how he couldn't become a priest after that. I don't get why they didn't have him follow in Marlena's footsteps and become a shrink we could've been spared all of that but the show is fixated on rape so..

I think the only woman Eric never dismissed was Sarah after she lied to him about Mickey(although that whole thing was undone with the baby switch).  I guess there's Jennifer too he was angry about the Nicole thing for a bit but they became friends again rather quickly as it was a relationship of convenience for both of them.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, brisbydog said:

I just saw a photo on Twitter showing Chad pulling the letter out of the fireplace 

Watch him blow it up only to make EJ single right before Abby returns. Would be stupid move by Chad. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought someone said he filmed for a week but it was gonna be way more episodes than a week's worth that he actually appears in. But maybe I was misunderstanding.

That's how I read that bit of information as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/8/2021 at 1:05 AM, boes said:

LOL at the Kodak moment crack.

Look, we all have our faves and the ones who annoy us. I'm with FilmTVGeek in that Eric has  never exhibited the extreme smugness you describe or holier than thou attitude (exception: accusing innocent Nocole of rape and later hating her for destroying the evidence of said rape - he was insufferable then). He's worked with criminals at the Horton Centre, seemingly forgiven Sami multiple times for being a certified nutcase, and dated and proposed to Nicole for pity's sake. And when he killed Daniel accidentally he hated himself for it, went to prison, hated himself some more, etc. This isn't Abigail here. He's a decent if not good guy.

Yes, the optics and dialogue were bad when that gal came begging for the Great Father Eric. But we've seen equally bizarre exits where characters are worshipped out of the blue and begged to leave town for opportunities. Sami, Will and Sonny have all had similarly corny exits. I don't consider this different. 

At least he wasnt kidnapped. 

I can easily believe that Eric, having lived and worked there once, might have the respect of authorities and agencies. I wish the show bothered to explain all those details, but still. This is plausible. Should he be with his wife and kid? Yes. I'm guessing there were extenuating circumstances. 

We'll see next week.

You can still call him Eeyore though if you like to 😄

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That's how I read that bit of information as well.

I think the average soap now films 5 episodes a day, which explains so much. So one week of filming would be like 25-35 episodes.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I guess Ben will try something on the wedding day or she'll gain her memories back at the altar. If they're going to redo Hope/Larry's wedding I'm going to need someone to be Howie in the wedding dress, because that was hilarious. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I guess Ben will try something on the wedding day or she'll gain her memories back at the altar. If they're going to redo Hope/Larry's wedding I'm going to need someone to be Howie in the wedding dress, because that was hilarious. 

I personally don't see any similarities between Hope/Larry and Ciara/Theo. Larry was basically blackmailing Hope into marriage; not so with Theo. But I agree that the Howie Hoffstedder angle with him under the veil was amusing.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

You can still call him Eeyore though if you like to 😄

Awww, man, don’t do that to poor Eeyore! How dare you!!! Lol

at least Eeyore knows who he (she?) is and embraces it!! 
Damn, that’s harsh! 

Edited by Chellfairy
  • LOL 1

Monday, July 19, 2021
Eric asks Nicole if Xander’s accusations are true. 

Tuesday, July 20, 2021 
Philip suggests Lucas use an embittered Nicole to his advantage.
Allie tries to get Ciara to recall her wedding to Ben.

Wednesday, July 21, 2021
Paulina has big news for Abe and Lani.

Thursday, July 22, 2021
Lucas makes an admission to Sami.  
Nicole gets revenge.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I personally don't see any similarities between Hope/Larry and Ciara/Theo. Larry was basically blackmailing Hope into marriage; not so with Theo.

I think there's a lot.  Theo's not exactly being a a good person here, he's selfish, basically pushing her down the aisle, taking advantage  and hoping she doesn't remember her past.  There's no member of Ciara's family that's on board with this wedding, because they love her and know this isn't right and she wouldn't want this with her  memories. 

Marlena before Hope's wedding was arguing with her to not marry Larry because of Bo. Marlena's in the exact same position now.

Edited by Artsda

I wasn’t watching when Bo/Hope Larry storyline but bet my paycheck it was a better written story.   
the Ciara Ben Theo story is only told from Bens point of view.  Theo who has been character since a child has no story and I guess the audience is supposed to hate him and think he is a bad person.  Ciara is not helpless she could easily say no to a wedding. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Now they bring in Allie to shove Ben and Ciara's love down our throats. As if we need more people singing the serial killer's praises.

tumblr_n4gunks13F1s0fpt7o1_250.gifv

13 minutes ago, tribeca said:

the Ciara Ben Theo story is only told from Bens point of view.  Theo who has been character since a child has no story and I guess the audience is supposed to hate him and think he is a bad person.  Ciara is not helpless she could easily say no to a wedding. 

Ugh this. I don't really give a shit about Theo, but it's so nasty that they're throwing him under the bus for Ben. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

This is why I'm glad JJ isn't around for this(well there's also his family's story right now that I'm glad he's not around for) he was one of the select few that consistently hated Ben and wasn't told he was terrible for it. I shudder to think how that would've changed if he returned.

• Love 5

I wouldn’t mind that the show lets the viewer know why Ciara feel that she has to get married. Or wants to get married. Maybe some build up to the Theo character. He seems to be a semi blank slate with little personality or charm. Why is he a possible husband for Ciara? A couple of months after her memory loss? A bit fast. Maybe get a job first and some sense of normalcy.

• Love 7
(edited)

Part of the problem too is that they're in South Africa so we don't see what they've been doing. 

I actually kind of liked their one-on-one scene this week but there have been too few of those.

Oh man.  They're blowing apart Xander and Nicole, aren't they?  Not that they have a relationship but Brady firing Xander and it sounds like Xander outs Nicole's infidelity in retaliation. So I'm guessing no scenes in the future.  Bummer.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

think there's a lot.  Theo's not exactly being a a good person here, he's selfish, basically pushing her down the aisle, taking advantage  and hoping she doesn't remember her past.  There's no member of Ciara's family that's on board with this wedding, because they love her and know this isn't right and she wouldn't want this with her  memories. 

Agree to disagree. Ciara is not mentally incompetent. She has a gap in her FEELINGS for Ben, but knows the entire history. And the fact that Ciara's family is not doing a fucking jig because she no longer wants a SERIAL KILLER makes me question THEIR judgment, not hers.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Part of the problem too is that they're in South Africa so we don't see what they've been doing. 

I actually kind of liked their one-on-one scene this week but there have been too few of those.

Oh man.  They're blowing apart Xander and Nicole, aren't they?  Not that they have a relationship but Brady firing Xander and it sounds like Xander outs Nicole's infidelity in retaliation. So I'm guessing no scenes in the future.  Bummer.

I read it as Brady firing him because he outed Nicole. Guess Sami makes him a better offer. Would be funny if he works at Dimera next.

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think the average soap now films 5 episodes a day

Um...that can't work. 5 hour-long episodes in a day is nuts. I'm guessing between all the schedules and episode guarantees they film maybe 8-10 episodes in five days. Certainly not 25!

11 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I never liked Allie and now I know why.

Maybe instead recall begging Ben for your life in dead Paige's dormitory, Ciara.

...I'm Team Theo. This stupid wedding plot sucks. Theo/Ciara have great history. Them getting married should be a legit thing...not a joke.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

I read it as Brady firing him because he outed Nicole. Guess Sami makes him a better offer. Would be funny if he works at Dimera next.

Ah. Possible.   Either way....not happy. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm Team Theo. This stupid wedding plot sucks. Theo/Ciara have great history. Them getting married should be a legit thing...not a joke.

This Theo is not the Theo that Ciara grew up with. This actor has zero personality, just slightly above a wet dishrag.

Does Precious (ex-Chanel) have a brother who acts?

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I wouldn’t mind that the show lets the viewer know why Ciara feel that she has to get married. Or wants to get married. Maybe some build up to the Theo character. He seems to be a semi blank slate with little personality or charm. Why is he a possible husband for Ciara? A couple of months after her memory loss? A bit fast. Maybe get a job first and some sense of normalcy.

They're not doing this because they don't want Theo to have any dimension or Ciara/Theo to seem legit because this whole thing is only being done to shove Ben and Ben/Ciara down our throats yet again.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

This Theo is not the Theo that Ciara grew up with. This actor has zero personality, just slightly above a wet dishrag.

Does Precious (ex-Chanel) have a brother who acts?

Abe, Eli, Theo. I think the show has trouble writing interesting black male characters. They're 0-3 currently.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Um...that can't work. 5 hour-long episodes in a day is nuts. I'm guessing between all the schedules and episode guarantees they film maybe 8-10 episodes in five days. Certainly not 25!

I never liked Allie and now I know why.

Maybe instead recall begging Ben for your life in dead Paige's dormitory, Ciara.

...I'm Team Theo. This stupid wedding plot sucks. Theo/Ciara have great history. Them getting married should be a legit thing...not a joke.

I’d definitely be team Theo IF Theo was…well  a better character. Just a tad bit more interesting, or bad ass. Take Ben down! 
And yep, Ciara-Theo do have history, except I’m not feeling that with these two . I actually feel sorry for the guy.

If Ben is going to be on the show, there won’t be a Theo/Ciara. Where is Kristen when ya need her. Ben could use a vacation on the island!! And take this Allie with him. 

Trip and Chanel can raise Henry the Blanket!

Edited by Chellfairy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

So we're seriously supposed to believe that Bonnie and Justin have never had sex?  I guess show has just forgotten that Adrienne has had a double mastectomy and has scars.  Maybe they went the same place Philip's amputated leg, and Brady's heart transplant scar did?  I don't expect the writers to remember every detail but at least a LITTLE continuity would be nice.

• LOL 6
1 minute ago, DaphneCat said:

So we're seriously supposed to believe that Bonnie and Justin have never had sex?  I guess show has just forgotten that Adrienne has had a double mastectomy and has scars.  Maybe they went the same place Philip's amputated leg, and Brady's heart transplant scar did?  I don't expect the writers to remember every detail but at least a LITTLE continuity would be nice.

Don't forget Jennifer's heart scar since her heart was removed? Salem has excellent plastic surgeons. Dr. Rolf can perform miracles!

• LOL 3
9 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I don't care how implausible it is, I will take it.  I accepted mime sex with no shame. It is what it is..

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't care how implausible it is, I will take it.  I accepted mime sex with no shame. It is what it is..

Yes, I guess if Jack can still be alive despite the fact that he has no internal organs what's a few scars.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Don't forget Jennifer's heart scar since her heart was removed? Salem has excellent plastic surgeons. Dr. Rolf can perform miracles!

EJ had 90% of his body with third degree burns including his face, but everyone who has seen him has recognized him despite EJ being gone for years and most of these people never leaving Salem. So his face at least seems to be the same (even if it is a different actor).

• LOL 4