Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Divide and Conquer

A reminder; please tag information from other Marvel properties that may be considered spoiler-y. If you want to talk more in depth about other properties, please take a look at the other topics in the forum. Your assistance is appreciated!

Marginally less terrible, but still not good.

Scott Buck and crew live in a weird version of the world where the heroes advocate for apartheid, prison guards think a prisoner who beats up cops is going to be reviled in prison, and prisons let the inmates exercise in the dead of night. They also seemed to have forgotten that Inhumans have access to tv. Medusa shouldn't be having "oh, money" revelations, not know how an ATM works, but pay for a cab with a stolen credit card. 

I'm going to handwave that the pot grower had smoked too much and was paranoid because the only thing he said that made any sense was that Karnak might be working for a cartel. He was suspicious of Karnak's communicator despite how we live in a world that has smart watches and fitness trackers. Karnak starts talking about his king and they conclude that he's crazy or lying. Japan, Thailand, and Malaysia still have monarchies. Isn't it possible an Asian man talking about a king could be from one of those places. He could also be part of the movement that believes that Hawaii was illegally taken by private interests and given to the U.S. His king could be a native Hawaiian. Or he could be British, Canadian, or from any of the countries in the Commonwealth. It's also interesting that neither Karnak or the pot growers have ever heard of a concussion.

In what universe does it make sense that you have a prisoner who was dangerous enough to seriously injure police officers and suspected of being Inhuman and you'd put him in gen pop? He's the exact person that you would put in solitary. It's clear that the writers wanted a prison riot as a distraction and contorted the plot to get there. Had this been explicitly connected to AoS, the AoS could have rescued Black Bolt or he could have escaped if the Watchdogs attacked the prison. 

Maximus' speech might have had more resonance if someone from the lower castes, besides the psychic, had been there. Their caste system is backwards and messed up. You know who is far better suited to mining, a guy who sonically blast things apart with his voice, a guy who can cause seismic shocks with his legs, a woman who can use her hair to telekinetically move things. But it's OK that Crystal and the Royal Family want to defend a system where people have to toil just cause. Maybe there would be less toiling if people with powers were actually using them appropriately.

How miserable must Attilan be for someone like Triton or the plant controlling Inhuman from tonight. Attilan has minimal water and very few plants. I would love it if Attilan and the Royal rule crumbled because Inhumans had been to Earth and realized it was so much better.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9

Well, the royal family still sucks, but I've gained respect for Hawaii's criminal population. Everybody made friends with criminals except Queen Hair who kidnapped Cut-Rate Felicity. I wonder what the guy who hit Lockjaw is up to? Diamond smuggling? Eco-terrorism?

Loki/Ramsey (Loksey?) is still clearly evil, but he's the only one who's not a racist dick, so I guess I'm on his side, as much as I'm on anybody's side. No, I take that back; I think I'll side with the Hawaiian criminals. They're neither evil or racists.

Go criminals!

• Love 6

I know this is comic book science, but Maximus can't go through terrigenesis and suddenly become human. That's not how genes work. A better explanation would have been that his Inhuman DNA is inactive or doesn't control anything important or interesting.

• Love 3

A lot seemed to be happening in the show tonight, so why was I bored watching it? AMC had Live Free or Die Hard on and I kept jumping back to the movie. A movie I've seen at least five times and freely admit isn't that great, but damn it's fun to watch. And Timothy Oliphant is in it. This show wasn't that much fun.

I'm failing to form attachments to any of the characters. Black Bolt is the most compelling but he can't carry the show by himself. Medusa, without her hair, is a non-factor and the whole magic hair seems lame now. The only thing keeping her out of the mines was a committed avoidance of cutting implements? Crystal seems insipid and the actress is unconvincing. I'm not buying Maximus's sudden burst of workers' rights, given he has long coveted the throne and has no apparent intention of giving up his new title. Why was Gorgon head of security if that assassin woman can take him? I would have made her the head of security. The new guy with the Cyclops eye thing seemed cool and snarky, but who designed his appearance? He looked like an over-baked mummy. I got a bit excited when Desmond showed up but then he disappeared until the end of the episode and Louise, a character I actually like, is now stuck with Medusa.

I'll give it another episode but this show is definitely on the bubble for me.

Those are seriously some of the dumbest prison guards (and warden) on the planet.  They have a prisoner who notorious blew up a bunch of police cars and beat the shit out of a bunch of officers, and they put him in Gen Pop and assume the rest of the inmates would hate him and harm him?  Hell no!  It is obvious that the other prisoners would love him for it.  Why in the hell did they think otherwise?!  Idiots!!

Well, I certainly never predicted that one of the major plots would be Karnak stumbling upon a weed farm, getting captured, but now he's being spared and working for them?  It's this Marvel's Breaking Bad?!  I think even Ken Leung was confused over his direction.  I can only imagine what he was thinking when he got the script.

Gorgon and his surfer bros vs. Max's Inhuman squad pretty much ends in a draw, with both only losing one member each.  But Max has got an advantage with this one Inhuman dude that everyone is afraid of, even though is power basically seems to be a variation of Cyclops from X-Men.

Medusa wonders around, breaks into a house (where I'm pretty sure I've seen in every show filmed in Hawaii), steals a bunch of stuff, fails to save Black Bolt, and then forces the annoying agent lady to follow the helicopter.  But, hey, Serinda Swan is still surprisingly rocking the short-hair look.

Crystal pretends to be down with Max, but takes Lockjaw and bails.  Only for Lockjaw to get hit by a motorbike.  Poor Lockjaw.

Max evilly.... wants to end the cast system?  Again, I'm suppose to hate him?  Really, the only thing I don't care about his is that even though I'm guessing it's based off the comics, the entire thing with him and Black Bolt is pretty much the tv version of Loki and Thor.  But until the show proves me otherwise, Team Maximus the Mad!

Henry Ian Cusick showing up is easily the most exciting think to happen to this show.

Still not very good, but at least this show is still entertaining me with how it is coming off short.  Again, I feel like I'm watching a long lost cheesy syndication shows from the series, complete with cringeworthy dialogue, silly fight scenes, and hilariously bad acting outside of one or two performers.  Only thing they need to do his replace the title card with a hokey title sequence like Hercules or the Power Rangers.  Make it happen, show!

• Love 7

I notice that the cartoon Lockjaw on the credits has the tuning fork on his head, while the CGI dog in the show has no tuning fork.

I still get a kick out of seeing these characters onscreen, it seems so unlikely.  Definitely more fun than the more generic Inhumans on Agents of Shield.  In fact, I think this show has the potential to be a lot more fun that AoS.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen any indications that it will reach that potential. 

Are Hawaiians really unhappy about being a state?  It seems to be a continuing theme on this show.

• Love 2

Did that scientist lady seriously,  after seeing a random lady beat up a cop then use an alien gun, ran up to her and ask who's in there? Like you gotta be daft asf yet you're a scientist. What?! 

Living on the moon with access to earth and updates from earth, yet still no knowledge of how etiquette works. You don't just say you're the king or queen of whatever and expect them to know who you are especially if you've been hiding in secret and expect them to give you stuff. That ATM scene was an eye roller. Why do they keep spilling who they are.. Some secret you're keeping pshh. 

Anyone think that plant/nature power lady is nice? It looked like she was gentle in nature. Ha. But then she did choose the coup side. 

Also, I don't find Maximus' de-caste-ing an evil takeover. In fact, I hated that monarchy society the moment they acted all prestigious-like and condescending .. Lockjaw doesnt want to be king while his brother does but nope... Doesn't work that way. Some ridiculous rule. I'm surprised no rebellion or protest happened sooner for the humans living in dirt-poor conditions.. 

I'd think this is how a coup would be like.. The intentions are somewhat clear.. I mean he lived a life coming second because he is human. At least he's not prejudice against the inhumans and rounding them up for revenge. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Lockjaw doesnt want to be king

I'm assuming you meant Black Bolt? Lockjaw is the giant teleporting dog and so far we haven't been told whether or not he wants to be king. But maybe he would make a better king than Black Bolt or Maximus.

• Love 13

The Genetics Council appeared live and well in last night's episode. But I thought that Maximus had them all shot by his soldiers last week.

When I first saw Mortis, I laughed. He was supposed to be this ultra scary villain and he just looked like someone put together a home-made Star Wars creature costume for Halloween. 

I'm not sure that I like any of the characters at this point.

However, I do want to give this show a chance so I'll keep watching.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Lockjaw is the giant teleporting dog and so far we haven't been told whether or not he wants to be king.

Much like John Oliver finding dog twins for each member of the Supreme Court, this show could be recast entirely with dogs...

• Love 6
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

Are Hawaiians really unhappy about being a state?  It seems to be a continuing theme on this show.

Hawaii 5-0 did an episode where there was a group that wanted a semi autonomous set up that  Native America/First Nations tribes have. There was a stand off with the village police and 5-0 about taking a person of interest out for questioning. So my guess that there are some represented from the surfer/veterans here. It did remind me of a Miami Vice episode where Vietnam veteran LURPS/Rangers who were ripping off drug traffickers that the tribal leadership let use their safer lands, from everyday law enforcement, for a smugglers drop off point 

Edited by Raja

Action and consequence guy can't predict what's going to happen anymore because he hit his head. If only he could have predicted that he would fall off a mountain if he set his foot in that one spot. Then he wouldn't have hit his head in the first place......................

Yeah, I'm firmly on Maximus's side, now that he has shown that he actually wants to abolish that class system. I say kill all those monarchs who would keep people as slaves.

Every time those surfer dudes who as it turns out can now operate machine guns opened their mouths this episode, I wanted to vomit.

So you can just land on the property of a prison with a helicopter and no guards will show up, then you can run on there, still no guards, then you can drive there, and still nobody to stop you from getting away. Man if I had know prisons were this badly protected...

The Inhumans are certainly not a X-Men Knockoff, and they most definitively didn't have knockoff Cyclops in this episode!

10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Or he could be British, Canadian, or from any of the countries in the Commonwealth.

To be fair, then he'd be talking about his queen, because Lizzy is still kicking ass over there.

10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Maximus' speech might have had more resonance if someone from the lower castes, besides the psychic, had been there. Their caste system is backwards and messed up. You know who is far better suited to mining, a guy who sonically blast things apart with his voice, a guy who can cause seismic shocks with his legs, a woman who can use her hair to telekinetically move things.

Or you know, robots. But sadly it's not like they live on the moon in a technologically highly advanced futuristic city or anything...

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

The Genetics Council appeared live and well in last night's episode. But I thought that Maximus had them all shot by his soldiers last week.

I was confused about that, too. Decided that he only shot part of the councel or that this was a new one and that I ultimately didn't care enough to think more about it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I thought he merely threatened them last week, showing that he could kill them but, never gave the order? I remember him walking away and I was waiting to here shots but, it never happened (or my sound system sucks)

I liked this episode, I thought the humor was spot on. The ladies are still the weak points for me. Although, I'm actually enjoying evil lady Auran (had to look it up, thought they kept saying Moran).

I think it's really hard to root for most of the Royal Family as their elitist dicks. Maximus for all his issues, seems to be less elitist/racist probably because he's been on the receiving end of it since his Terrigenis. Although, I don't know if that makes him "good". At this point I think Blackbolt seems to be the best of the lot but, I'm partial to Blackbolt from the Comics.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Seemed more like a nature documentary than a superhero show. Too much time wandering in the forest and city streets and not enough time advancing the plot. The Inhumans seem like they can read and understand English, why didn't Medusa attempt to read what was on the ATM. The Inhumans knowledge of Earth seems to be extensive and/or non-existent, but never consistent.  The writers attempt to make the Inhumans appear "alien" hasn't been done effectively. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Miles said:

Action and consequence guy can't predict what's going to happen anymore because he hit his head. If only he could have predicted that he would fall off a mountain if he set his foot in that one spot. Then he wouldn't have hit his head in the first place......................

At least there is some Avengers consistency... Hawkeye & Selvig were freed from Loki mind control after being concussed...

10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

That ATM scene was an eye roller.

That hit the utterly cringeworthy level of stupidly embarrassing, and that's a very hard no for me. I had to just mute the scene until it was over.

3 hours ago, paigow said:

Much like John Oliver finding dog twins for each member of the Supreme Court, this show could be recast entirely with dogs...

It's a sad day when not only are you being upstaged by a bunch of pixels, they're out-acting you too.

• Love 2

The surfer/former soldiers need some serious time at the firing range. They were even worse shots than stormtroopers. The news report video of the Black Bolt vs police clash was just a clip of what we saw on our tv's the week before. Not only was that cheap it was seriously lazy. I think this episode reinforced the feeling from the premiere that this series is going to go down as a colossal missed opportunity.

Edited by Terrafamilia
spelling is good
  • Love 1

Glad that Crystal and Lockjaw made it out of Attilan. It made no sense for the most powerful Inhuman to be the only one still under house arrest. She'll no doubt meet someone cute, as is her comic book history, but the Marvelverse no longer owns her boyfriend, so they'll have to come up with someone new. Medusa showed how entitled she is, and it really IS an ugly look on her. Then, again, it's consistent with her introduction in comics as a villainess. (I may have to start testing ATMs with my claim to Royalty. I have no clue as to who my father was, but I have expensive tastes, so I assume I get that from him...) Last week I thought Karnak would use Fauxlicity as a way to correct his messed up ability, but now I am praying that weed will realign him, because that would be the funniest thing ever! It's a dumb show, but I cannot quit it yet.

• Love 2

I'll tune in next week to see how Lockjaw is. But it's a statement that the character that most gets my attention is the CGI dog.

At least Crystal was clever in the way she got him out of confinement and to Earth.

10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Inhumans seem like they can read and understand English, why didn't Medusa attempt to read what was on the ATM. The Inhumans knowledge of Earth seems to be extensive and/or non-existent, but never consistent.  The writers attempt to make the Inhumans appear "alien" hasn't been done effectively. 

There's a lot of inconsistency on this show but that's one of the most annoying.  If they speak English, they've been watching Earth.  (Also Black Bolt was so convinced they had to save the Inhumans on Earth. Do some reconnaissance.)

If Black Bolt uses sign language at home, why doesn't he try it on Earth. You know, to let people know he can't speak and isn't just doing it to annoy the guards.

23 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Scott Buck and crew live in a weird version of the world where the heroes advocate for apartheid, prison guards think a prisoner who beats up cops is going to be reviled in prison, and prisons let the inmates exercise in the dead of night. They also seemed to have forgotten that Inhumans have access to tv. Medusa shouldn't be having "oh, money" revelations, not know how an ATM works, but pay for a cab with a stolen credit card. 

I'm going to handwave that the pot grower had smoked too much and was paranoid because the only thing he said that made any sense was that Karnak might be working for a cartel. He was suspicious of Karnak's communicator despite how we live in a world that has smart watches and fitness trackers. Karnak starts talking about his king and they conclude that he's crazy or lying. Japan, Thailand, and Malaysia still have monarchies. Isn't it possible an Asian man talking about a king could be from one of those places. He could also be part of the movement that believes that Hawaii was illegally taken by private interests and given to the U.S. His king could be a native Hawaiian. Or he could be British, Canadian, or from any of the countries in the Commonwealth. It's also interesting that neither Karnak or the pot growers have ever heard of a concussion.

In what universe does it make sense that you have a prisoner who was dangerous enough to seriously injure police officers and suspected of being Inhuman and you'd put him in gen pop? He's the exact person that you would put in solitary. It's clear that the writers wanted a prison riot as a distraction and contorted the plot to get there. Had this been explicitly connected to AoS, the AoS could have rescued Black Bolt or he could have escaped if the Watchdogs attacked the prison.

[snip]

How miserable must Attilan be for someone like Triton or the plant controlling Inhuman from tonight. Attilan has minimal water and very few plants. I would love it if Attilan and the Royal rule crumbled because Inhumans had been to Earth and realized it was so much better.

More annoying inconsistencies.  Hire an intern to vet the scripts for stupidity.

22 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I know this is comic book science, but Maximus can't go through terrigenesis and suddenly become human. That's not how genes work. A better explanation would have been that his Inhuman DNA is inactive or doesn't control anything important or interesting.

Good solution. Why couldn't they have thought of it?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Raja said:

Hawaii 5-0 did an episode where there was a group that wanted a semi autonomous set up that  Native America/First Nations tribes have. There was a stand off with the village police and 5-0 about taking a person of interest out for questioning. So my guess that there are some represented from the surfer/veterans here. It did remind me of a Miami Vice episode where Vietnam veteran LURPS/Rangers who were ripping off drug traffickers that the tribal leadership let use their safer lands, from everyday law enforcement, for a smugglers drop off point 

So I guess there is a segment of the Hawaiian populace that dislikes being part of the US.  That makes sense.

Mordis reminded me a little of Isaac on The Orville.

One of the trope that I loathe - simply because it makes no sense whatsoever - is that total strangers willing to do major favor for the protagonist against the antagonist for no other reason that the protagonist is a protagonist. It is where people who do not appear to know the protagonist get to his/her side against the antagonist. It is the case with this episode. Those surfers-turned-militias took Gorgon's side without understanding who he really was and whom he fought against. They were willing to sacrifice their lives for him with no apparent cause for them. It is really frustrating to watch.

Am I to believe that wealthy people in Honolulu do not care with alarm system at all? Forget alarm system then. What about doors? With locks? And they just put their bundles of money in unlocked boxes?

• Love 7

You really can't think while watching this show. Just look at the ooh pretty, ooh shiny, ooh puppy, aspects, otherwise it just doesn't make sense. And nevermind everything you all have already pointed out, what gets me is how they on the moon with gravity and air. Is there a dome? A force field? Magic? How are they growing food? Where are all the cows for their leather outfits?

I hate to bring up the ATM scene again, but really, she was watching people interacting with that machine. Did anyone talk to it? No, they put a card in a slot and punched a keypad.

Arrg! So if I turn off my inquiring mind, I can watch for the pretty, shiny, puppy. But that puppy better be OK because if they kill the dog, I am gone.

• Love 1

We tuned in just to see if any adjustments had been made after the atrocious premiere.  Nope. It looked as if this episode was made by exactly the same people. 

The ATM scene was cringe-worthy.  As was Crystal's speech. As was Karnak's ... everything. 

I cannot tell if ABC is even bothering to promote this anymore. It’s almost painful to watch. .. so I doubt we will make an effort to do so next week. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

The ATM scene was cringe-worthy.  As was Crystal's speech. As was Karnak's ... everything. 

It's like the show was written by a preteen fangirl.

It has so much potential. I want to give the show (writers,tptb)  a good shake and tell them to snap out of it. I have never not appreciated Iwan Rheon acting ability in whatever role I have seen him in but even he can't pull something out of this writing.

There are so many things that doesn't make sense. 'Lets have the surfer dudes be ex-soldiers and then when the super enhanced people start to fight them it can be a draw.' The woman who controlled the plants could have taken them all out by getting the plants to bind them in less than a minute.

21 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

Glad that Crystal and Lockjaw made it out of Attilan. It made no sense for the most powerful Inhuman to be the only one still under house arrest. She'll no doubt meet someone cute, as is her comic book history, but the Marvelverse no longer owns her boyfriend, so they'll have to come up with someone new.

It's consistent with how she is on the show. Almost her entire family has fled and she listens to music on her headphones and pouts. I'm sure the probably cute boy who ran into Lockjaw on his ATV at night (?) will be her love interest.

Medusa showed how entitled she is, and it really IS an ugly look on her. Then, again, it's consistent with her introduction in comics as a villainess. (I may have to start testing ATMs with my claim to Royalty. I have no clue as to who my father was, but I have expensive tastes, so I assume I get that from him...)

My paternal line comes from a line of chiefs. The ATM was not sympathetic. 

Last week I thought Karnak would use Fauxlicity as a way to correct his messed up ability, but now I am praying that weed will realign him, because that would be the funniest thing ever! It's a dumb show, but I cannot quit it yet.

Karnak, the marijuana kingpin, would tickle me to no end.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, xfuse said:

There are so many things that doesn't make sense. 'Lets have the surfer dudes be ex-soldiers and then when the super enhanced people start to fight them it can be a draw.' The woman who controlled the plants could have taken them all out by getting the plants to bind them in less than a minute.

They're probably saving that for when this little group makes it up to the weed cabin. She'll hijack all the dope and use it to strangle the good guys because drugs are bad, m'kay? We are still dealing with Disney as the parent company and while they have matured over the years I have no doubt they'll take this opportunity to remind us of the dangers of the devil's lettuce.

Was this the first time we've actually seen weed in a Marvel property? I remember Tony Stark joking about it to Bruce Banner but I don't think we've ever actually seen the chronic on screen before.

Edited by dwmarch
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

Was this the first time we've actually seen weed in a Marvel property? I remember Tony Stark joking about it to Bruce Banner but I don't think we've ever actually seen the chronic on screen before.

In the comics, one of Medusa's partner's was named "Paste Pot Pete". Maybe this version will leave off the "Paste".

21 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

Glad that Crystal and Lockjaw made it out of Attilan. It made no sense for the most powerful Inhuman to be the only one still under house arrest. She'll no doubt meet someone cute, as is her comic book history, but the Marvelverse no longer owns her boyfriend, so they'll have to come up with someone new. Medusa showed how entitled she is, and it really IS an ugly look on her. Then, again, it's consistent with her introduction in comics as a villainess. (I may have to start testing ATMs with my claim to Royalty. I have no clue as to who my father was, but I have expensive tastes, so I assume I get that from him...) Last week I thought Karnak would use Fauxlicity as a way to correct his messed up ability, but now I am praying that weed will realign him, because that would be the funniest thing ever! It's a dumb show, but I cannot quit it yet.

Funny you mentioned her meeting someone "cute". That some one is probably the guy who ran into LockJaw 

• Love 2

Attention, Mortis! You're needed back on the Power Rangers set, asap.

On 10/6/2017 at 10:35 PM, rmontro said:

I notice that the cartoon Lockjaw on the credits has the tuning fork on his head, while the CGI dog in the show has no tuning fork.

If you look closely, you can see that he has a tuning fork shaped discoloration pattern in the fur around his face/eyes. Which is one of the only things that I thought was clever about the costumes/design of this show when I watched the pilot.

I still think it's kind of asinine that they went with the "black circular pattern in Crystal's hair is actually her hair" rather than have it be some kind of hair accessory, because there's no way the pattern would remain in the same shape unless her hair never grows.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

It appears as if the only people who care about helping the royal family are the four or five members of the family. Everyone else on Attalin seems happy to be helping Maximus with the coup. That should tell them something. ..

Well when Maxiums is lying to them and saying they abandoned them and they just believe it like idiots 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

.If you look closely, you can see that he has a tuning fork shaped discoloration pattern in the fur around his face/eyes. Which is one of the only things that I thought was clever about the costumes/design of this show when I watched the pilot.

I still think it's kind of asinine that they went with the "black circular pattern in Crystal's hair is actually her hair" rather than have it be some kind of hair accessory, because there's no way the pattern would remain in the same shape unless her hair never grows.

I didn't notice that about the fur pattern.  Interesting touch.  I guess they couldn't afford real tuning forks  :)  I'm still waiting for Black Bolt's wings.

Regarding Crystal's hair, I was just assuming she dyed it that way (on the show).  Like you say, it doesn't make any sense for that to be her real hair.  In the comics, I always assumed it was like some sort of fancy hair berette.

It's a shame that Mortis's dangerous power isn't communication skills.

Surfers: "We'll fight for you Gorgon! We don't know anything about you, but we're with you because we like the idea of family and kings!"

Mortis steps forward and removes his mask: "I'm glad you brought that up. Gorgon and his king preside over a system where our society is divided between the elites and what is, essentially, a slave caste. Maximus, the only genetic human in our society, has rebelled against this system, which he sees as inherently unjust. While he has been forced to take violent action, it was sadly unavoidable as Gorgon and his King had repeatedly rejected his pleas to bring change to our society, claiming a scarcity of resources, even though genetically privileged people Gorgon's family live in luxury and lay about listening to music and playing with their dog all day. So, I ask, why are you fighting with this man you barely know to preserve a system of slavery that oppressed many people in our society?"

Surfers: "Wha?"

• Love 13

How does the prisoner know about being bitten by a radioactive bug? In the MCU world people know about aliens, super soldier expeirments and Inhumans but not Spider-Mans origin

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Crystal and Medusa are sisters, so the genetic weirdness of their respective hairs makes some kind of weird sense. Also, jack Kirby LOVED weird and wild hair and headpieces. As I've mentioned before, he would probably have been in heaven designing for drag queens. Who knows? Maybe he did.

• Love 1

This episode was not better than the first two. I wish I could like this show. I usually love superheroes. IRL we constantly fight to achieve equality among ourselves. Yet we create heroes that believe they are superior to us. They believe they are superior to their own people. I don't see the appeal of royalties.

I don't know if Hoof guy or Mister no mistake are heroes or villains in the Comics but I wouldn't want them to save me. They are awful people. THere are things that should be left in the past. In the 60's maybe their backstory was okay but today they seems like the oppressors the actual heroes would fight.

They should have made Blackbolt at least a progessive king, trying to give the people some freedom. The genetic council could have been the very conservative ones refusing to change their ways.

I am a "half full glass" kind of person so I'll probably still watch the show (I can't resist superpowers) at least a few more episodes.

• Love 4

*Sigh* It hurts me to say this, but this show really does seem mediocre at best, and outright crap at worst. And I`m one of like five people who liked Iron Fist! I love the MCU, and have loved or at least enjoyed basically everything they have ever put out, even while acknowledging that there are flaws. This show is absolutely the worst of the movies OR the shows, taking the lowest spot because of the bizarre moral and societal issues being raised, and promptly ignored by the show. And it doesn't offer much else to distract me from these issues. I love superhero shows, but even I might end up throwing in the towl on this one. 

In any other show, the royal family would be either villains who oppress and enslave their own people, or naive rich idiots who honestly dont get why the common folk wont just shut up and eat cake already, because this is the "natural" order of the world. In this show, however, we`re supposed to root for these guys and see Maximus as some kind of super villain who is totally all kinds of evil for wanting to abolish a brutal caste system. I get that Maximus is clearly a violent guy, and probably just wants power for himself and I`m not saying the non royals should be wheeling out the guillotines and the firing squads, but does the show really want us to 100% root for the people who want to continue a system of systematic oppression and enslavement based on genetics? I mean, theres a reason most modern societies dont have a monarchy anymore, or if they do, its at least limited in its power, in some ways, or completely. Most people arent going to root for the people running a society that is so deeply flawed. And racist! Like, are we supposed to be like "yeah, take that Maximus, you stupid human!" or something? Even if WE weren't humans, that would be shitty beyond belief. Just add any other group of people in history, and you immediately have a bad guy, or at least a VERY dark hero. 

If the show decides to have the characters learn to change their ways and become more inclusive or something when they get back, then I might take some of those criticisms back. But it doesn't sound like we`re heading in that direction. Right now, the only character of the heroes I basically like are Black Bolt, mainly because the actor does a lot with what he has been given, and Lockjaw, who is adorable. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
On 10/7/2017 at 9:18 PM, NorthstarATL said:

Medusa showed how entitled she is, and it really IS an ugly look on her. Then, again, it's consistent with her introduction in comics as a villainess.

Yes, the behavior of the Inhuman royals is actually pretty consistent with the behavior of the Inhumans in general in the comics, in which they are insanely and hilariously ignorant of human society, make little to no attempt to understand human society, are massively stuck up and superior about themselves and their abilities even though what they can do is actually not really very impressive in the Marvel Universe, and look down on anybody who isn't an Inhuman. Medusa's own introduction in the comics was her just landing in the middle of New York City, expecting everybody to just bow before her immediately, do things that would be blatantly illegal in any society on the planet precisely because they didn't and try to be apprehended as a result, then throwing a hissy fit before dismissing all of humanity as nutjobs outright and running back to the Inhumans like a 5 year old girl. Medusa's behavior here is consistent with that, not to mention a stuck up royal who has probably never have an actual hardship in her life before now, but still pretty unbelievably ridiculous in this day and age.

About time Crystal actually did something, it took her long enough to grow a spine and actually try to fight her way out. It comes down to cheapening out on the effects otherwise she would have just blasted her way past everybody, got Lockjaw, and escaped a long time ago.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

In any other show, the royal family would be either villains who oppress and enslave their own people, or naive rich idiots who honestly dont get why the common folk wont just shut up and eat cake already, because this is the "natural" order of the world. In this show, however, we`re supposed to root for these guys and see Maximus as some kind of super villain who is totally all kinds of evil for wanting to abolish a brutal caste system. I get that Maximus is clearly a violent guy, and probably just wants power for himself and I`m not saying the non royals should be wheeling out the guillotines and the firing squads, but does the show really want us to 100% root for the people who want to continue a system of systematic oppression and enslavement based on genetics? I mean, theres a reason most modern societies dont have a monarchy anymore, or if they do, its at least limited in its power, in some ways, or completely. Most people arent going to root for the people running a society that is so deeply flawed. And racist! Like, are we supposed to be like "yeah, take that Maximus, you stupid human!" or something? Even if WE weren't humans, that would be shitty beyond belief. Just add any other group of people in history, and you immediately have a bad guy, or at least a VERY dark hero. 

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure Lockjaw is lucky not to be on Attilan anymore as I have no doubt Maximus would be kicking him into hamburger for the sheer hell of it within a couple episodes. The writers are going to be having Maximus and his crew doing stupid evil things for the sake of it before long because the writers know we wouldn't root against them otherwise. It's not as though the writers could have done things right the first time, such as had the characters swap positions on the entire deal, make Maximus the one who wanted to keep the oppressive caste system while the rest of the royal family wanted to get rid of it so he pulled a coup to become king and to keep them from doing it, that would just make far too much sense, would be far too consistent with the characterization in the comics of the characters involved, and have protagonists we could actually root for and villains we could root against. In case you couldn't tell that was sarcasm, they could easily have done better, but it's a show the showrunners made for the sake of spite rather than artistic vision.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

Yes, the behavior of the Inhuman royals is actually pretty consistent with the behavior of the Inhumans in general in the comics, in which they are insanely and hilariously ignorant of human society, make little to no attempt to understand human society, are massively stuck up and superior about themselves and their abilities even though what they can do is actually not really very impressive in the Marvel Universe, and look down on anybody who isn't an Inhuman. Medusa's own introduction in the comics was her just landing in the middle of New York City, expecting everybody to just bow before her immediately, do things that would be blatantly illegal in any society on the planet precisely because they didn't and try to be apprehended as a result, then throwing a hissy fit before dismissing all of humanity as nutjobs outright and running back to the Inhumans like a 5 year old girl. Medusa's behavior here is consistent with that, not to mention a stuck up royal who has probably never have an actual hardship in her life before now, but still pretty unbelievably ridiculous in this day and age.

Well, her parent were killed for speaking out against the caste system, which would be a hardship for most people, but neither of the sisters seems to care about that since they hit the genetic lottery.

• Love 3

Medusa's power is that she can control her hair.  It's clearly not "regular" hair.  So even though it got cut/shaved, I've been wondering why she just doesn't command her hair to grow itself rapidly.  Yes, I get that if it's not there you can't control it.   But her hair is clearly not normal, so making it grow rapidly makes about as much sense as making it move around to do what she wants.  

• Love 1

Lockjaw is still cute. And a car hit him. Of course.

Mortis kinda looks like Xorn, right? Is it just me?

I'm hoping Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith find time to poke fun at the show. "Max & Silent Bolt" sounds nice, right?

On 10/7/2017 at 9:26 PM, statsgirl said:

I'll tune in next week to see how Lockjaw is. But it's a statement that the character that most gets my attention is the CGI dog.

On the SEAL Team forum, the first question in the episode threads is "Is the dog ok?!"

On 10/8/2017 at 6:35 AM, AngelKitty said:

I hate to bring up the ATM scene again, but really, she was watching people interacting with that machine. Did anyone talk to it? No, they put a card in a slot and punched a keypad.

And, you know, the idiot-proof instructions on the display; I can't buy that she wouldn't grasp the concept of an access card for a computer/machine.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, xfuse said:

It's like the show was written by a preteen fangirl.

Oy, don't diss preteen fangirls. They often write better stuff than show writers.

• Love 4