Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: The Ultimate Faceoff

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, susannot said:

What is a 14 as opposed to an 18?  For many years I have not understood sizes. 

I can attest that it took me 40 pounds to go from an 18 to a 14, so it's a significant difference. There's no way Lyris is a 14 standard size. I would say 18+.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, susannot said:

That was me.  What is a 14 as opposed to an 18?  For many years I have not understood sizes.  That is why I stick to certain designers whose sizes always fit and are always true.

I found this chart online.  Unfortunately, in the world of JCP (and lots of other stores), sizes can vary greatly, no matter what it says on the tag.

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, dwarmed said:

I can attest that it took me 40 pounds to go from an 18 to a 14, so it's a significant difference. There's no way Lyris is a 14 standard size. I would say 18+.

So would it be fair to assume that each size is separated by the next by 10 pounds?  AZChristian I've seen that chart but it is messed up.  I am a 10 and a 12 in different dimensions.  I have large muscular shoulders from sports , a flat-ish chest, narrow hips, and a poochy belly from love of food and wine.  What do I wear?  A long tunic always seems like the best option but I would like more style.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 2

Yeah, no way does Lyris have a 31" waist.

Just now, susannot said:

So would it be fair to assume that each size is separated by the next by 10 pounds?

Well each size is an even number, so I would say 20 pounds give or take between jean size (e.g., 18 to 16). At least it was for me.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I did not like Margarita's look, I thought it made the left? breast look weird and that no one that doesn't look like Heidi would look good in it. And they got rid of the slit (I knew they would but still)

I'm sad Brandon didn't win because I would have bought the long hoodie, the only other thing I've ever wanted to buy from this show was Jay's quilted coat from his runway show in Season 1.

I don't think Tim would use his save for anyone other than Brandon, Kentaro or Michael (just in case there's a Wendy Pepper situation and one of them is auf'd)

I also thought it odd that the JCP lady wasn't a judge.

I was wondering if they didn't use the male models because of the need to represent different sizes this season?

I agree that Kenya did not throw Amy 'under the bus' she did what she could with that stupid question. Margarita DID throw her model under the bus last week as we had video evidence of what the model actually said.

Wasn't there a team challenge in a previous season where the team basically 'elected' someone to throw under the bus if they lost and when they did that person had the only look the judges liked? Or is that just in my head?

I thought that happened when Gretchen, ivy, etc. ganged up on Michael Costello.

• Love 8

There's nothing wrong with whatever size Lyris actually is. She looks fab. I just think it's weird for the show to be about embracing size and have models underestimate their size like that. At the beginning Tim said the models went from size 2 to 22. I would think Lyris is near the top of that range, not 4 sizes smaller than the top of the range.

• Love 13

I am willing to believe that Lyris is smaller than she looks on my TV, partly because She isn't standing next to anyone or anything I've seen in real life with my own eyes so I don't get a real comparison and partly because people do often look a little larger on TV. Of course, when she said she was a size 14, I thhought, "No way," before thinking that the camera does add 10 pounds. And then I heard Chandler in my head asking, "So how many camera were actually on you?"

Lyris does look good, but she's not wearing any 14 I've ever worn.

• Love 13

Brandon and Kentaro seem really nice, but I thought that their look reminded me of laundry day and I have to piece together an outfit from whatever clean clothes I have left.  It really looked rather junky and average to me and, not fashion forward.  I do applaud them for not playing the judge's stupid mind games.

The shape of Kenya's suit reminded me of her maroon suit, which was praised.  I have been to J.C Penny's and Amy's boring skirt is exactly the type of style they usually sell.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

True - but I'm old enough to remember when "Banana Republic" was nothing more than store that sold cheap safari-looking clothes on Grant Avenue in San Francisco!  

5 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

But they had a nice "J. Peterman" type catalog, that looked like a graphic novel. Now it's just a snooty, expensive version of Old Navy, "the world doesn't need this" as Zac would say.

I remember the store and catalog.  Thought the catalog was so cool.  I had a safari skirt from Banana Republic.  Not that I ever went on safari.  I was explaining the original store and catalog to some youngster who didn't believe me,  Anyway, looks like a lot of dramatics from the twins next week.  Hopefully they'll both go.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Nidratime, you didn't mean that Brandon is a one-trick pony.  You meant that he's a ONE-WAY MONKEY! (tm Dmitry!)

Liris is a Woman's 2x, minimum, if she's a day. She is a BIG girl. 

As for all y'all "a smokey eye" and  "an edgy shoe" haterz, a-ha! I've finally found the peeps who ask, "Which one?" when someone says he's getting a haircut! ?

I could see Liris as smaller than a 2x - I'm tall, a 1x, & she has a far better figure than me.

in other news, Kenya is once again all of us

IMG_3540.PNG

IMG_3541.PNG

IMG_3542.PNG

• Love 24
2 hours ago, dwarmed said:

Yeah, no way does Lyris have a 31" waist.

Well each size is an even number, so I would say 20 pounds give or take between jean size (e.g., 18 to 16). At least it was for me.

Hard to say. At 136 I was an 8. At 105, I am a 0. Has a lot to do with waist size.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, akr said:
10 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Empress said: "Swatch was so cute with his little crown."

Of everything I have seen on this show all season, the ONE THING I WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING? That T-shirt the Mood-goers got with Swatch in his birthday crown!!!

Found it!  I googled mood swatch t shirt, and here it is:

https://www.moodfabrics.com/got-treats-swatch-t-shirt-110529

Sold out. But a place to enter your email for notifacation when back in stock.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

But they had a nice "J. Peterman" type catalog, that looked like a graphic novel. Now it's just a snooty, expensive version of Old Navy, "the world doesn't need this" as Zac would say.

Random trivia: in high school, I dated the stepson of one of J Peterman's head honchos. We were frequent dinner guests at his Lexington house (a few times Ethan Hawk &Steve Zahn were there too) and I got rejects from the factory handed down to me. When TITANIC came out the Lex store got a lot of the props and I was given a set of dishes. Damn my 17 year old ass for not appreciating that shit more. I still have most of the clothes.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Although I liked the shirtdress and would wear it, the coatdress was something I'm sure I had in 1992.

The coat dress reminds me of something Rachel would have worn in the first 2 seasons of Friends.  I totally got a 90s vibe from it. 

As as for the winning shirt dress, I thought how it gathered near the waist looked weird.  It looks weird on the JCP reproduction, too.  

Amy's suit-  the lapels looked uneven to me. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I just do not understand why they have such elevated opinions of themselves.  Sure, they made a dress for Katie Perry, but outside of that all they do is copy the work of other designers/labels.

I would love to know what the people in their small town in Michigan think of them. If they are this irritating on camera (and I’ve yet to read anyone in support of them anywhere regarding Project Runway) just imagine how insufferable they are in person. Where is the National Inquirer when you need them? 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Wasn't one of the twins reminding the other twin that this was a Fall challenge and the other twin was not having it? 

Yes, Claire said she wanted to make a menswear style pant (heh, singular) and a knotted top. Shawn's response: "It's FALL, Claire, FALL."

When Shawn said that this was her second time getting a "more curvaceous woman," I thought damn, she has lucked out because this is the seventh challenge. 

• Love 2

SUPER unpopular opinion here. i don't hate the twins and I don't think they're the worst designers in the competition. Both have produced looks that I like. 

This episode made me dislike just about everyone except for Brentaro, Ayana and Michael. Margarita is very unlikeable in her THs, not just bitchy but really she seems like somebody I wouldn't want to deal with in real life. I didn't like her winning dress as I thought the collar and chest area looked messy and tortured. It was also too short. Batani is gorgeous (reminds me of Janet Jackson circa The Velvet Rope) but she has overstayed her welcome as well. I thought her velvet dress was cuet yet very 90s and something Cher or Dionne from Clueless would have worn: 

clueless-preppy-outfit.jpg

There was some serious ugly going on with Kenya and Amy's looks, especially the pointy-yet-droopy-boob pantsuit. I think Amy should have gone home although I bave enjoyed her observations. 

• Love 3

I finally got to see the episode last night.  Like others, I'm surprised the woman from JCP wasn't  one of the judges.

I thought the twins' looks were awful.  I thought that Shawn's dress made Liris look like she was missing a breast when she walked the runway.  Claire's...uh, er,  cripes.  It was just awful. Her ego was her downfall.  

I didn't think Ayana's outfit was all the great either.  I thought it, unflatteringly, emphasized her model's abdomen.  That's all I saw as she walked down the runway.

Kenya's look wasn't *that* bad.  Boring, yes, but decently made.  Amy's look was just awful.  The collar looked like those on men's shirts in the 70's.

I'm not sure either twin has what it takes to stay.  Maybe the face-off will show that and there will be a double elimination.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2017 at 7:56 AM, Beden said:

And thank you to the above commenter who mentioned that we're still waiting for the big cheating scandal. I've been looking forward to that for weeks now. As to the twins--glad to see the back of at least one of them with #2 soon to follow, caved in under the weight or having her support system pulled out from under her like a cheap rug.

Now...cheating...?

Maybe after Shaun gets auf'ed, she dons a Claire wig which enables her to come and go in the workroom undetected and the two of them work on the same outfit.   One Claire in the Brother sewing machine room talking to herself, the other Claire running laps around the workroom; meanwhile the other designers are still so twin-fatigued that they fail to put it together.   Even Tim doesn't notice until a fateful visit to Mood when Swatch starts barking at the fake Claire and exposes the lie!

• Love 20
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Someone upthread said the size on the dressmaker's dummy being used by her designer was 18.

12 hours ago, susannot said:

That was me.  What is a 14 as opposed to an 18?  For many years I have not understood sizes.  That is why I stick to certain designers whose sizes always fit and are always true.

I'm willing to bet that dressmaker's dummies still use "classic" sizes (like wedding dresses do?) and so an 18 would be a modern 14. Whether or not Liris is buying 14s (and at what store) is another question!

11 hours ago, auntlada said:

And then I heard Chandler in my head asking, "So how many cameras were actually on you?"

We have the same weird sense of humor.  This was my favorite line EVER from "Friends," and I actually use it a lot when snarking at pictures of people who fudge their weight.

• Love 5
On 29/09/2017 at 5:44 AM, nightowl said:

Here's my fear...one twin gets eliminated, and of course Tim doesn't use his save.

BUT,  there is an allegation of cheating and the cheater is "auf'd" before the regular elimination.

Meaning .. the last eliminated designer returns.  More twin drama ensues.

Oh, heck, you could be right.

• Love 1

I'm going to make a guess that the cheating involves the knock off pieces. There has to be a reason Amy put that instagram up and then was made to take it back down very quickly. Passive/aggressive and some lightning fast social media? It went viral before it could be stopped. We already know of two pieces that fit that. what if we were to find out they have been copying looks from other shoppers in Mood or some such?

• Love 5

I would love to know how long it takes to actually make the show and when it begins filming.  New York Fashion Week is in September - I think middle of the month - so for the finalists to make the garments they are going to show at Fashion Week and for Tim to go to see each of the finalists at home (and for them to redo or even remake some of the garments) has got to take a while.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nancypants said:

What knock off pieces?

The most glaring was the copy of the sweat shirt top with zippered shoulder Claire wore the first episode.  She made a replica of that for a challenge.  Shawn made her model the same thing she wore to the work room to discuss wht she wanted. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Maybe after Shaun gets auf'ed, she dons a Claire wig which enables her to come and go in the workroom undetected and the two of them work on the same outfit.   One Claire in the Brother sewing machine room talking to herself, the other Claire running laps around the workroom; meanwhile the other designers are still so twin-fatigued that they fail to put it together.   Even Tim doesn't notice until a fateful visit to Mood when Swatch starts barking at the fake Claire and exposes the lie!

And they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!

• Love 12
12 hours ago, dwarmed said:

DWARMED, I agree Lyris that is more likely an 18.  I find it interesting the show is now embracing models of size, especially since Heidi made a comment years ago (don't remember which season) about one of the models looking like a fat Minnie Mouse. Also, you are so right in saying the difference in size is significant.   Like you, I have also lost weight (22 to an 18 (47 pounds.)   

I think the men in this competition have more talent and vision. Regardless of whether you like one's design aesthetic over another, I think Brandon, Kentaro and Michael each have what it takes.

I would love to see Amy throw caution to the wind and design the hell out of a garment before her behind is tossed from the show.

Also, why did the producers choose Cha-Cha and Aaron???   I want to see the interview process and the clothing they showed at that time. I find it difficult to believe their collections were better than other designers auditioning for the show.

As for the twins... I would love to know who told them they were the best designers in the universe.  Because they're not.  In any universe.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Kristimar said:

As for the twins... I would love to know who told them they were the best designers in the universe.  Because they're not.  In any universe.

Claire told Shawn and Shawn told Claire.  Those are the only two opinions that matter (at least to them).  

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 21
7 hours ago, iknow said:

Batani is gorgeous (reminds me of Janet Jackson circa The Velvet Rope) but she has overstayed her welcome as well. I thought her velvet dress was cuet yet very 90s and something Cher or Dionne from Clueless would have worn: 

And you say that like it's a bad thing?  Clueless is still one of the most fashionable movies ever, which is probably why a rapper based her entire music video on the movie in 2014.  Only maybe 2-3 movies could possibly be even near as stylish that I've seen since 1995.  I know the red dress wasn't popular here but it was one of my favourite looks this week.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, beagletime said:

I remember the store and catalog.  Thought the catalog was so cool.  I had a safari skirt from Banana Republic.  Not that I ever went on safari.  I was explaining the original store and catalog to some youngster who didn't believe me,  Anyway, looks like a lot of dramatics from the twins next week.  Hopefully they'll both go.  

I had one too, in a gorgeous khaki that buttoned down the side & was calf length.  I wore it with one of their cream rayon blouses that had beautiful scroll work embroidery down the front, on either sides of the placket.  And with tall, flat brown boots & a wide brown leather belt.   An outfit I would absolutely wear today, even though it was circa 1988.  *sigh*  Nobody makes clothes like that anymore, even though I keep looking.  

I liked Batani's dress, but we were shown proof that her sewing skills are nowhere near sufficient to be deemed professional, as Margarita seems to do most of the tailoring.  It's the reason I keep referring to her as Anya 2.0.  Her designs aren't bad, as you can see from her sketches on the official site.  What she showed was her original concept, she just needed a lot of help from her teammate. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I thought the original Banana Republic was fun. They had some quirky finds and I didn't think their stuff was cheap. It wasn't all safari either. 

My husband got some cool wool jackets there back in the day when we were youngins. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, justawatcher said:

I'm going to make a guess that the cheating involves the knock off pieces. There has to be a reason Amy put that instagram up and then was made to take it back down very quickly. Passive/aggressive and some lightning fast social media? It went viral before it could be stopped. We already know of two pieces that fit that. what if we were to find out they have been copying looks from other shoppers in Mood or some such?

Can you please point me towards a place that I can see this?  Thank you!

• Love 2
On 9/28/2017 at 11:31 PM, lyric said:

Amy's been pretty solid up until tonight, but dear God was that hideous - shockingly awful.

I think the blue color is what doomed it. If that were a black suit, I think it would have been rather nice!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And you say that like it's a bad thing?  Clueless is still one of the most fashionable movies ever, which is probably why a rapper based her entire music video on the movie in 2014.  Only maybe 2-3 movies could possibly be even near as stylish that I've seen since 1995.  I know the red dress wasn't popular here but it was one of my favourite looks this week.  

No no. I love Clueless and appreciated the reference. I agree with this:

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I liked Batani's dress, but we were shown proof that her sewing skills are nowhere near sufficient to be deemed professional, as Margarita seems to do most of the tailoring.  It's the reason I keep referring to her as Anya 2.0.  Her designs aren't bad, as you can see from her sketches on the official site.  What she showed was her original concept, she just needed a lot of help from her teammate. 

I like Batani's personal style and have liked some of her outfits. I question her construction skills.

• Love 2

And I was VERY surprised that Nina didn't classify Batani's dress as "Junior".  It looked that way to me, and she normally jumps all over a style that would appeal to a younger demographic IF the challenge isn't supposed to target them.  And I can absolutely see the appeal of Batani's dress as a back-to-school choice for a 10th grader. 

Hell, it could be scaled down as an adorable holiday dress for a toddler.  Without the plunging V-neck, though.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

The most glaring was the copy of the sweat shirt top with zippered shoulder Claire wore the first episode.  She made a replica of that for a challenge.  Shawn made her model the same thing she wore to the work room to discuss wht she wanted. 

I don't think of that so much as cheating, just really, really crappy "design".

• Love 2
Just now, heckkitty said:

I don't think of that so much as cheating, just really, really crappy "design".

It could be as simple as them helping each other, that they now decide is cheating.    

• Love 1