Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

So they separated with Matt moving out in November 2013. Jacob was born in 1997 so he would have been sixteen. Jacob moved out about a year after Matt moved out. The episode q&a I was referencing was during the separation period. 

Jeremy and Zack were babied by their parents, not just Amy. On the rare occasions where Matt didn't just ignore parenting, he came with such winners as offering to buy Jeremy a car in exchange for good grades and then getting him the car anyway. The parenting fail was on both parents.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Endora said:

Amy looked pretty nice but the constant concern over will he cry when he sees me in this gown will it reaffirm his love, joy  and devotion  and Chris worrying if he be a blubbering mess was annoying.   Why was Deb helping Chris get ready?  Deb thanking Chris for loving their Amy, LOL!  Deb and Lisa's ass kissing  game was strong that day.  Nice times with Amy's dad she seemed very happy. The guy has mellowed    No Chris family sightings and I was hoping for some interaction there but they probably didn't want to be filmed.  I noticed that Zach and Tori were sitting at a table alone and all the other siblings were sitting together.  I really think Tori's the problem. Disrespected Zach was thrown a bone I guess being chosen the siblings  spokesman.   I wonder if Amy got sick from the food?  Did she say they were both sick?  

I think Zach was the only one of the siblings who wanted to -- or is allowed to -- speak on the show; he was also always the child closest to Amy.  I agree that Tori is the problem; there's a pic of her online with stank face.  She's probably pouting because she's the only sister-in-law not heavy with child at the wedding...  That "bellowing" dress was at least a subconscious attempt to look pregnant, IMHO... 

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Wasn't it the third dress she tried on in the bridal shop?  Her torso is normal-sized, so the bodice fit; all she needed was the skirt shortened.  The logical thing (it seems) would be to cut off the top of the lower portion where it attached to the bodice and keep the existing trim, which may be what was done.  I agree she looked amazing!  The contrast between the Amy entering the bridal suite and exiting it was striking.

No, it would have required more than just shortening the skirt to get the proportions and skirt details to be right. 

I didn't say "shortening the skirt"; I said keeping the lower half of the skirt and removing the top half, reattaching it.

At any rate, it would be nice if Amy shared more details regarding the things we all apparently wonder about, but - as with Felix and Chris's family - we'll probably never know!

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Chris needs to speak to his doctor about this bursting out crying with just a little provocation. I don’t think this is an aging thing but it could be a medical condition. On a more important note. Did Amy ever take that dog for yearly check ups? How did such a young dog die within two days and the vet says he was too far gone?!

I definitely was doing other things while watching the wedding show. I am not a romantic person and this is pretty out of my comfort range. 🤢

• Love 6

Felix was five or six, so entering middle age. Things that kill suddenly in dogs? Cancer, kidney failure, some metabolic problems. Its unfortunate but our pets can't say they are sick and tend to hide health issues so yes, sometimes they are too far gone when they finally exhibit symptoms.

If Chris is having problems with inappropriate emotions, he should see a doctor. If the problem went away after the wedding, I'd chalk it up to stress.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Chris needs to speak to his doctor about this bursting out crying with just a little provocation. I don’t think this is an aging thing but it could be a medical condition. On a more important note. Did Amy ever take that dog for yearly check ups? How did such a young dog die within two days and the vet says he was too far gone?!

I definitely was doing other things while watching the wedding show. I am not a romantic person and this is pretty out of my comfort range. 🤢

Who knows what drugs TLC gave him to get through this bullshit,it could have been anything,and he would have needed a lot of it.

Edited by stoppro
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I didn't say "shortening the skirt"; I said keeping the lower half of the skirt and removing the top half, reattaching it.

At any rate, it would be nice if Amy shared more details regarding the things we all apparently wonder about, but - as with Felix and Chris's family - we'll probably never know!

I think you kinda did:

“normal-sized, so the bodice fit; all she needed was the skirt shortened.  The logical thing (it seems) would be to cut off”

8 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I think you kinda did:

“normal-sized, so the bodice fit; all she needed was the skirt shortened.  The logical thing (it seems) would be to cut off”

Not to belabor the point...

But you can "shorten" the skirt by taking excess off either the bottom OR the top of it.

Either approach results in a "shorter" skirt.

As for Felix, sounds like he "exhibited symptoms" a day and a half earlier, but she hoped it would go away; in fact, she admitted as much.  Only when he suddenly went downhill later did she resort to the ER vet visit.

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Not to belabor the point...

But you can "shorten" the skirt by taking excess off either the bottom OR the top of it.

Either approach results in a "shorter" skirt.

Most of us that have sewed know exactly what you meant and it made perfect sense. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Chris needs to speak to his doctor about this bursting out crying with just a little provocation. I don’t think this is an aging thing but it could be a medical condition. 

Yes; I was thinking specifically of pseudobulbar affect syndrome or TIAs.

• Love 2

I may not follow closely enough everything that happens with the family members, so my thoughts are just what I have watched.  I feel for Tori with both pregnancies front and center at the wedding when she has experienced a miscarriage.  It can remind her of her loss and also may make her thoughts be inward about what is wrong/why me.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ISAWTHAT said:

I may not follow closely enough everything that happens with the family members, so my thoughts are just what I have watched.  I feel for Tori with both pregnancies front and center at the wedding when she has experienced a miscarriage.  It can remind her of her loss and also may make her thoughts be inward about what is wrong/why me.  

Yes and I think it might be better if the Roloff girls could share and comfort each other. 

I still don’t know why Tori and Audrey are on the outs.   I wonder who Mollie and ? Favor?

I would think Audrey would be trying with all the love she speaks of in books and gatherings. 

• Love 1

Right?  That is why I think I must miss some of the interactions with the women in the Roloff family.  They seem to be empowered women but not a normal build up and care for each other type of women and family.

• Love 1

As I recall (I don't follow it closely, either), Auj has reached out on SM while Tori has not; it was also Tori who stormed out of the coffeeshop that day.  For all of Auj's failings, she hasn't shown herself to be quite as immature as Tori has, IMO.

I'm sure she wishes she were also pregnant, but miscarriages are very common (women who don't monitor themselves daily with pee sticks may not even know they were pregnant), and it's good form to be happy for others.  Or appear so.

• Love 8

See you know more than I do.  I do agree with your synopsis of the events.  Being empathetic is always a good trait.  Being able to reach past your feelings to enjoy others happiness is true self awareness.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ISAWTHAT said:

See you know more than I do.  I do agree with your synopsis of the events.  Being empathetic is always a good trait.  Being able to reach past your feelings to enjoy others happiness is true self awareness.

Auj is a self absorbed sinkhole.For a 'christen' she's pretty rotten.

• Like 1

Tori also claims to be a Christian.

I'm curious about this motorcycle foot peg issue, since seeing it again last night.  Amy made a big deal about how thoughtful it was of Chris and how significant she thought that gesture was.  Isn't it really a matter of safety?  You can't carry a passenger on a bike on a highway with legs just hanging loose, I'm pretty sure.  I initially assumed they were adjustable for different lengths (like foot pegs in kayaks are), but today I Googled, and it looks like a kit to do so is around $200.  Did Chris pay this out of pocket for what he didn't even consider a date, or did TLC "foot" the bill, pun intended?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Bursting out crying at the slightest thing can be brought on by depression.  It was having an impact on my life and my doctor put me on an antidepressant and things improved significantly thank goodness.  It was becoming embarrassing and I was avoiding situations because I couldn’t predict what would trigger it. Even some commercials brought it on.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I watched Amy's friends fawning over her, and that was enough. Did they show any wedding favor rocks?

The friends were on overload last night but I'm guessing their checks were a bit fat from the special.  Plus they're old and on tv!

Yes they showed those ugly rocks all laid out and they looked...Cheap and ugly!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Bursting out crying at the slightest thing can be brought on by depression.  It was having an impact on my life and my doctor put me on an antidepressant and things improved significantly thank goodness.  It was becoming embarrassing and I was avoiding situations because I couldn’t predict what would trigger it. Even some commercials brought it on.  

I wouldn't be surprised if chris was depressed,He sold his life for 38 cents! jackass.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Kathy said:

Amy's vows, she had like 20 pieces of paper but Chris nothing?  Or was his vows not shown?

Chris has one piece of paper (small).  His vows took less time than Amy's.  I thought the wedding was sweet and well done.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

As I recall (I don't follow it closely, either), Auj has reached out on SM while Tori has not; it was also Tori who stormed out of the coffeeshop that day.  For all of Auj's failings, she hasn't shown herself to be quite as immature as Tori has, IMO.

I'm sure she wishes she were also pregnant, but miscarriages are very common (women who don't monitor themselves daily with pee sticks may not even know they were pregnant), and it's good form to be happy for others.  Or appear so.

Tori also stormed out of the camera store and sat in her car steaming and near tears because the clerks didn’t come rushing to assist her as she stood there instead of speaking up. 🙄

She seems to make mountains out of molehills.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Just got a chance to watch the episode today, and thought the wedding was beautiful and well done. I give props to Amy and especially Chris for saying their own vows. I know it is a popular thing to do these days, but no way I would do it. Hubby and I said exactly 8 words in total - I do, I do, I will ,I will. 

I loved Amy's rocks. Looking back I would have done a different wedding favour as ours were small boxes with the our names, date, and fudge inside.  But many left the boxes behind. I loved the rocks as they were simple, pretty and could be put anywhere as a reminder of the day. I would use one as a paper weight. I loved that they were hand painted, as many favours are just bought with no connection to the couple at all. 

I think Chris's tears were sweet, and not at all unusual for a guy to get more sentimental as he gets older. And it was his first and only wedding. I loved that he said that he waited, rather than just get married for the sake of getting married. Lots of people get married for the sake of getting married, and do it several times over. Good for Chris. 

Lastly Amy's mom must have had some gorgeous jewelry. Amy has two other sisters and a brother, so I would assume they were all given jewelry? That bracelet was exquisite, absolutely gorgeous. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Just got a chance to watch the episode today, and thought the wedding was beautiful and well done. I give props to Amy and especially Chris for saying their own vows. I know it is a popular thing to do these days, but no way I would do it. Hubby and I said exactly 8 words in total - I do, I do, I will ,I will. 

I loved Amy's rocks. Looking back I would have done a different wedding favour as ours were small boxes with the our names, date and fudge inside.  But many left the boxes behind. I loved the rocks as they were simple, pretty and could be put anywhere as a reminder of the day. I would use one as a paper weight. I loved that they were hand painted, as many favours are just bought with no connection to the couple at all. 

I think Chris's tears were sweet, and not at all unusual for a guy to get more sentimental as he gets older. And it was his first and only wedding. I loved that he said that he waited, rather than just get married for the sake of getting married. Lots of people get married for the sake of getting married, and do it several times over. Good for Chris. 

Lastly Amy's mom must have had some gorgeous jewelry. She has two other sisters and a brother, so I would assume they were all given jewelry? That bracelet was exquisite, absolutely gorgeous. 

It looked like it was Art Deco.. I was totally jealous. Always makes me that way when I think about what was passed down to me…nothing! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Lastly Amy's mom must have had some gorgeous jewelry. She has two other sisters and a brother, so I would assume they were all given jewelry? That bracelet was exquisite, absolutely gorgeous. 

Yes, that bracelet was absolutely beautiful. My biggest takeaway from the episode :-D

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the wedding episode. I love weddings. Amy looked really beautiful. I love her hair highlights and soft waves. Makeup perfect too. Dress perfect on her. It took a village lol.

I'm sad that T and Z sat apart from the other siblings. 

Jackson is much better with his speech.

I think Z still has a hard time with his parent's divorce. His speech was nothing special at all. 

Her dad blew me away. Good for him. And that speech. He has softened. 

Deb and Lisa make me sick with their sucking up. Even seems like Amy is a bit uncomfortable with it. 

Edited by seasons
  • Love 4

I really liked how Amy's dress sparkled in the light from the setting sun.  It showed a lot of detail that wasn't showing in the brighter light.  I think they had a very nice second wedding for Amy and first for Chris.  It was a nice size for that kind of mixture.

• Love 5

I didn’t notice Z and T sitting apart from the other siblings til I read it here. I’ll have to check it out.  If there’s unresolved conflict, I’d wish they’d explain the truth on the show, so I’ll know what’s up.  

Knowing Felix had died, I was surprised they showed Chris putting that plate of leftover people food for him to eat after the taste testing.  Surely, that’s not what caused the death, but it made me wonder if the dog had food allergies….and they were feeding him table scraps.  Some dogs need a special diet for conditions like kidney disease.   It must have been quite difficult to marry the day your pet dies. I can barely imagine it.  

Well, I must say that I’m disappointed that I was wrong in my prediction that Matt would attend the wedding.  I was correct in my prediction that Amy would wed on the farm.  It seems to have gone quite well.  

I don’t have an issue with Amy’s friends giving her support.  It might seem over the top, but that’s one thing best friends do.  With my closest friends, there is a lot of unconditional love, support, praise, etc.  With all the criticism, whining, complaints, etc., in life  that I deal with, it’s nice to have a soft place to fall. Life can be harsh.  I know my besties have my back. They build me up, boost my confidence and make me laugh.  

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, seasons said:

I really enjoyed the wedding episode. I love weddings. Amy looked really beautiful. I love her hair highlights and soft waves. Makeup perfect too. Dress perfect on her. It took a village lol.

I'm sad that T and Z sat apart from the other siblings. 

Jackson is much better with his speech.

I think Z still has a hard time with his parent's divorce. His speech was nothing special at all. 

Her dad blew me away. Good for him. And that speech. He has softened. 

Deb and Lisa make me sick with their sucking up. Even seems like Amy is a bit uncomfortable with it. 

Weren't Tori and Audrey sitting side by side at the ceremony? I'll have to look again if I haven't deleted the episode. It took me a minute to recognize Jeremy  - I still picture him with the man bun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Don't quote me on it but I think I read somewhere that the bracelet was loaned to Amy by her father for her wedding day.

I think it goes back to Michigan with her dad.

Don't think so. In the episode Amy said she inherited it after her mom died. In People magazine Amy said it was her great grandmother's, passed down to her grandmother, then mom, then to Amy. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
51 minutes ago, seasons said:

I agree.  I was disgusted with them trying to get some sordid details from Amy and Chris's lovemaking when they were in that hot tub.  

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the two-hour episode.  There was no sullen Amy when she and Chris were meeting with Matt and Caryn, and she even hugged Matt.  

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 2

Just looked back and can't find the spot where I thought Audrey and Tori were sitting side by side. However before the ceremony starts there is a short clip of Jeremy sitting with Bodi and Zach with Lila, sitting on the bench at the front. The chairs are set up behind, and if it was Molly they showed in the jumpsuit she is sitting right behind. Later in the ceremony it shows Zach Tori and kids on the bench, and I think Audrey's arm beside Zach. I assume they are showing more of Zach and Tori since they are paid to be on the show. At the reception Zach and his family and Jer and his family are sitting at the same table during dinner. Makes sense since they are the sibs with kids that they would sit together, and total 8 in all which is likely how many there were to a table. So I don't see any evidence of Zach and Tori being apart from the other sibs at any point. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Knowing Felix had died, I was surprised they showed Chris putting that plate of leftover people food for him to eat after the taste testing.  Surely, that’s not what caused the death, but it made me wonder if the dog had food allergies….and they were feeding him table scraps.  Some dogs need a special diet for conditions like kidney disease.   It must have been quite difficult to marry the day your pet dies. I can barely imagine it.  

I don’t have an issue with Amy’s friends giving her support.  It might seem over the top, but that’s one thing best friends do.  With my closest friends, there is a lot of unconditional love, support, praise, etc.  With all the criticism, whining, complaints, etc., in life  that I deal with, it’s nice to have a soft place to fall. Life can be harsh.  I know my besties have my back. They build me up, boost my confidence and make me laugh.  

Felix died at least a couple of days before the wedding. Not sure exactly when, but Matt and Caryn were still there and showing Amy and Chris what had been finished in preparation for the wedding.  Definitely sad to lose him so close to the wedding though.  

I do like Lisa and Deb, but did not enjoy the game they were playing in the hot tub. They know Amy well enough to know that she would not be comfortable in answering those questions, and certainly not on camera. I similarly have close friends who always have my back, but I would not answer those questions even with them. I think the scene must have been producer driven, and was the only part of the episode I did not like. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Yeah, I forgot about about the sex trivia game in the bathtub. Lol. No way they did that without orders.  But, if it pays the bills….. Everyone knows that’s not Amy’s kind of thing. TLC knows this for sure.  It was just them being mean, imo.  I don’t blame the ladies.  

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Tori also stormed out of the camera store and sat in her car steaming and near tears because the clerks didn’t come rushing to assist her as she stood there instead of speaking up. 🙄

She seems to make mountains out of molehills.

I remember that!  After driving 30 minutes each way with "Bean" in tow.  She was no doubt pi$$ed that clerks and customers alike didn't rush up asking for autographs from both of them.  Seriously, she acts like a 12-year-old.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Except that yours presumably aren't on the payroll, which might make you wonder how sincere it is or if there's an ulterior motive behind it...

As for Chris, he said HE suddenly cries at commercials -- not just at his wedding -- and even he seemed perplexed by it, so it's definitely worth asking a doc about.

The fact that Amy (and Chris both?) got sick at the wedding definitely gave me "paws" when I recalled Felix lapping up the caterer's sample leftovers!!!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Don't quote me on it but I think I read somewhere that the bracelet was loaned to Amy by her father for her wedding day.

I think it goes back to Michigan with her dad.

That’s not what she said. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Tori and the kids were alone at the table Zach returned to after his speech.  When he was done they showed the other table with the other siblings clapping.  Three old ladies in a hot tub playing a sex trivia game, yuck, glad I fast forwarded through all those scenes.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

think Chris's tears were sweet, and not at all unusual for a guy to get more sentimental as he gets older. And it was his first and only wedding. I loved that he said that he waited, rather than just get married for the sake of getting married. Lots of people get married for the sake of getting married, and do it several times over. Good for Chris. 

Yes  I got that feeling too about Chris.   I thought it was sweet and heartfelt and real when he was tearing up.  Kinda warmed my heart...(of course I always wished I had a hub like that, but unfortunately I ended up with one who barely showed me love.   So, I guess it's my jealousy coming out about Chris, lol...  anyhoo, my marriage only lasted 28 years)

I don't think it's a medical problem to cry at your wedding.  Good for him.  I like a man who can cry.

I cried unexpectedly when Amy's father gave the advice about not taking your spouse for granted, and give loving kisses every night.  Thinking all the things we did wrong in my marriage.   Sorry to go on about me....kinda cathartic  lol

I though both Amy and Chris looked beautiful.  And the venue was beautiful.  They pulled it off, IMHO.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Endora said:

Three old ladies in a hot tub playing a sex trivia game, yuck, glad I fast forwarded through all those scenes.  

I wouldn't call three women in their 50s old, and it was obvious that Amy didn't want to play the silly game.  She was embarrassed by the questions.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I wouldn't call three women in their 50s old, and it was obvious that Amy didn't want to play the silly game.  She was embarrassed by the questions.

Late 50's, silly for women of that age IMO.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Endora said:

Late 50's, silly for women of that age IMO.  

They are fame whores now they have to play any silly game TLC says to play.I think a lot of humiliating things to do are in store for them.

• Love 1

Another thought on Amy's dress alterations:  If the bodice and skirt were separated at the waist and the top portion of the bottom skirt was cut off and reattached to the bodice, I don't think it would work very well.  There would be too much fabric at the top of the remaining skirt portion that would need to be gathered and reattached to the bodice.  Therefore, the waist would become very  "bunchy" with excess fabric.  (I hope those of you who sew know what I'm trying to say.) 

I thought whoever did the alterations did a beautiful job and the design Amy chose was perfect for her.  Loved the entire wedding and wish them well.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Annifran said:

Another thought on Amy's dress alterations:  If the bodice and skirt were separated at the waist and the top portion of the bottom skirt was cut off and reattached to the bodice, I don't think it would work very well.  There would be too much fabric at the top of the remaining skirt portion that would need to be gathered and reattached to the bodice.  Therefore, the waist would become very  "bunchy" with excess fabric.  (I hope those of you who sew know what I'm trying to say.) 

I thought whoever did the alterations did a beautiful job and the design Amy chose was perfect for her.  Loved the entire wedding and wish them well.

Yes there would be more material to sew onto the waist. 
Solution. Make a cut and remove a portion of the diameter. 
A good seamstress should be able to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It'd be interesting to see a side-by-side of the wedding dress and the third one she tried on in the bridal shop.  If made from scratch, they came awfully close to someone else's design.

Edited by all4mom2