Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I think Chris likes trolling Amy and when he and Matt laugh about her and make jokes at her expense, I think it's very unloyal to her on Chris's part. I'm not an Amy fan but I don't think it's cool at all for her fiance to be cutting up with her ex and making Amy jokes and comments about her that are passive aggressive digs. 

I agree Chris likes trolling Amy, I think he likes getting her get riled up for some reason.  It’s like some kind of weird foreplay.  I think he uses sarcasm in his humor, in general, but it probably sticks out even more because Amy is bossy on the show, yet often wrong in things she says.  Like getting the drinks mixed up, but insisting hers should be picked.  This makes it’s harder to feel sorry for her sometimes.  

About the only time I do, is when Chris starts making jokes with Matt.  I will say I usually see Chris as the initiator of those conversations.  I think Matt probably agrees, but sometimes tries to laugh off the response because he knows it will be on air. I neither like nor dislike Amy.  I can say that about pretty much all of them to varying degrees.  Sometimes, Amy irritates me and sometimes I think she’s fine.  

However, I think the worst comment Chris actually made on the show was the poker comment about Caryn.  I don’t know whether Caryn and Matt actually had an affair, but I think Amy thinks they did.  I think Chris’ comment probably triggered a fear in Amy that she could be cheated on by Chris. Hell, she might even have thought he was thinking about Caryn.  I don’t think he was, but at least some of the Matt stuff I think is producer-driven; however, I think Chris came up with the poker comment on his own knowing it would push Amy’s buttons.  It could even be seen as trying to take a dig at her self-esteem, but it didn’t stick out as much because she tries to steamroll him over on the show about various things: wedding favors, outfits, etc.. 

I know a lot of this is show generated, but it will be interesting to see how living together for a long period of time affects their relationship.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 5

I do wonder if the Chris and Matt giggles are show driven or the two of them do that on their own?

No matter show or no show I would never go along with the man that says he loves me and going to marry me acting like that. 

Yes it’s just a show but show some self respect. 
If that’s actually the two of them, Matt and Chris, actually doing that on their own I’d pass on marrying a man like that. 

Any husband of mine would have to be somebody I could trust with my heart!

Nobodys doing that to Caryn.

Regarding signs and items for sale with the Roloff name of course… Matt owns Roloff farms.

Amys junk was for sale there too but she took the money and ran!

I bet Matt sang the song ‘Thank God and Greyhound she’s gone’!

Speaking of songs I wonder if Amy will request ‘Once in Love With Amy’ as Their sing!  Lol

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Do I understand correctly that Amy requires that a whole new bridal march be composed just for her?  No piece of music already in existence will do?

I’m sure most of us could come up with a wedding March song for Amy 😆!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • LOL 8
2 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Do I understand correctly that Amy requires that a whole new bridal march be composed just for her?  No piece of music already in existence will do?

Actually the best man offered to compose a bridal march for them as gift. He's a musician, it was mentioned in the episode. 

• Love 5

It just seems so weird to be walking out of a barn as the bridal march is being played.  Hopefully there won't be any chickens running loose in the area.  This is not a place I'd want to have a formal wedding.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DonnaMae said:

It just seems so weird to be walking out of a barn as the bridal march is being played.  Hopefully there won't be any chickens running loose in the area.  This is not a place I'd want to have a formal wedding.

All four kids' weddings can be seen online.  Wait; was Jacob married there?  At least three kids' weddings there can be seen online.  I thought they were awesome!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I agree. On the one hand, the twins and Molly had lovely weddings that did exactly the same, the bride walking from the barn to the pulpit area and it does look nice, and the actual Roloff weddings looked 100 times nicer than the theoretically paying customers of the wedding barn seasons. 

I just wouldn't do an outdoor wedding. 

2 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Wait; was Jacob married there?  At least three kids' weddings there can be seen online.  I thought they were awesome!

Jacob was married in a private ceremony on the beach. He did however have a fancy reception at the farm. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I'd be for keeping separate residences, remaining single, and just enjoying the relationship and companionship and doing fun stuff together at their ages...

"Keep it simple, stupid," and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

YES! I'm widowed, in my 50's and this is exactly what I want if it ever happens. 

• Love 8
On 7/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, all4mom2 said:

Where is being married or not married regarded as the same thing under the law?  I'm familiar with common-law marriage after cohabitating for seven years.

Just a PSA here:  in the U.S., only a few states recognize common-law marriage, and in not a single one of them is a common-law marriage based solely on cohabiting, and there is never a length of time after which a couple is deemed to be common-law married. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I do wonder if the Chris and Matt giggles are show driven or the two of them do that on their own?

No matter show or no show I would never go along with the man that says he loves me and going to marry me acting like that. 

Yes it’s just a show but show some self respect. 
If that’s actually the two of them, Matt and Chris, actually doing that on their own I’d pass on marrying a man like that. 

Any husband of mine would have to be somebody I could trust with my heart!

Nobodys doing that to Caryn.

I think most of the Matt-Chris antics are producer driven, but I think Chris and Matt would be cordial or even friendly without the show. Things like side-by-side talking heads or venturing over to see Caryn’s deck is probably show driven. In the settings shown in the episodes like the deck, the campfire, the housewarming, etc.  Amy comes across as bitter/angry/uncomfortable to me, ymmv, the other 3 while not best friends seem to have a fairly pleasant time.  The longer she exhibits that behavior, the more I think the show will create scenes for the quartet to be together.  Even though it’s repetitive, it’s still more interesting than Jackson sitting on his sister.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I agree Chris likes trolling Amy, I think he likes getting her get riled up for some reason.  It’s like some kind of weird foreplay.  I think he uses sarcasm in his humor, in general, but it probably sticks out even more because Amy is bossy on the show, yet often wrong in things she says.  Like getting the drinks mixed up, but insisting hers should be picked.  This makes it’s harder to feel sorry for her sometimes.  

About the only time I do, is when Chris starts making jokes with Matt.  I will say I usually see Chris as the initiator of those conversations.  I think Matt probably agrees, but sometimes tries to laugh off the response because he knows it will be on air. I neither like nor dislike Amy.  I can say that about pretty much all of them to varying degrees.  Sometimes, Amy irritates me and sometimes I think she’s fine.  

However, I think the worst comment Chris actually made on the show was the poker comment about Caryn.  I don’t know whether Caryn and Matt actually had an affair, but I think Amy thinks they did.  I think Chris’ comment probably triggered a fear in Amy that she could be cheated on by Chris. Hell, she might even have thought he was thinking about Caryn.  I don’t think he was, but at least some of the Matt stuff I think is producer-driven; however, I think Chris came up with the poker comment on his own knowing it would push Amy’s buttons.  It could even be seen as trying to take a dig at her self-esteem, but it didn’t stick out as much because she tries to steamroll him over on the show about various things: wedding favors, outfits, etc.. 

I know a lot of this is show generated, but it will be interesting to see how living together for a long period of time affects their relationship.

What was the “poker comment”?  It went right over my head.  Thank you.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, tinderbox said:

What was the “poker comment”?  It went right over my head.  Thank you.

When they went to Caryn’s, Amy was trying to put Caryn’s address in her phone and Chris said he already had it cover.  I think he had his car GPS programmed with her address already.  Amy said she wanted to know the address and he said something to the effect of Why so if I disappear, you’ll know where..poker at Caryn’s house.  I’m kidding, I’m sure she doesn’t play poker.  Amy gives him a death stare.  Chris then admits in his talking head he likes pushing Amy’s buttons. 

Half-listening Mr. IP interpreted it even worse.  He said, “LPBW is getting kind of raunchy.”  I was confused, but since he was only half listening, he thought Chris said “to poke HER”.  I informed him of what what said and he was like well that’s better, but it’s still weird.  I remember when this used to be The Learning Channel.

• Love 2

Producer-driven seems to be the go-to when people want to believe things are other than portrayed.  I'm sure they suggest and even set up scenes, but they don't write the lines, coach, or direct; that's what makes reality TV the cheapest-to-produce and most profitable form of entertainment out there.  Also, you can't fake the anger, jealousy, bitterness, and distain Amy displays.  In other words, she doesn't have a "poker" face.  We can tell when she's being fake, and that's when she acts like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth asking for "likes" and "suscribes"!  

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

And the Roloff Farms sweatshirts, T Shirts, hats and other merch.

She's not timid...she has very poor muscle strength in her legs...she needs weekly or twice weekly physical therapy with a trained pediatric physical therapist to get her legs strong enough to support her.

That jumped out at me too!!  It seems so obvious how much benefit Lilah would get from PT with a professional such as you mentioned!!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

That jumped out at me too!!  It seems so obvious how much benefit Lilah would get from PT with a professional such as you mentioned!!

When she was lying on pavement/lawn (?) and her legs were bent out by her head I was freaking out! Do these two not notice this stuff and just excuse these obvious physical issues as being not important? It boggles the mind.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, BrownBear2012 said:

When she was lying on pavement/lawn (?) and her legs were bent out by her head I was freaking out! Do these two not notice this stuff and just excuse these obvious physical issues as being not important? It boggles the mind.

Ditto what you said.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

...he thought Chris said “to poke HER”...

I think Chris intended that double entendre, and I think Amy got it.  Hence the death stare.

8 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Do these two not notice this stuff and just excuse these obvious physical issues as being not important? It boggles the mind.

I think Tori is in denial, and while Zach "notices," he's too whipped to confront or oppose her.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

Also, you can't fake the anger, jealously, bitterness, and distain Amy displays.  In other words, she doesn't have a "poker" face.  We can tell when she's being fake, and that's when she acts like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth asking for "likes" and "suscribes"!  

And this is exactly why I think the producers create setups like the deck scene.  I agree, they don’t give them scripts with lines.  It’s more ok Amy and Chris go over to see Caryn’s new deck, in hopes that something interesting/explosive will happen.  At the very least something that they can ask them about in the talking heads.  It’s one of the reasons Matt comes off a little better to me in the talking heads. He can joke off the uncomfortableness of the scene, whereas Amy IMO still perceives she has been wronged in some way, and it comes off as bitter or angry to me as the viewer.  Others I’m sure see the opposite, that’s just my personal opinion, and I don’t particularly care for Matt.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 2

People website has a photo of a new barn that Matt said is being built for the wedding. So why did we see Amy, Chris and the two friends in front of the old barn?  I'm confused.

Edited by DonnaMae
3 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I think Chris intended that double entendre, and I think Amy got it.  Hence the death stare.

To be fair, I don't think I'd be smiling if my fiance made a sexual double entendre about "poking" the woman my ex husband had an affair with, in front of my ex husband.

3 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

whereas Amy IMO still perceives she has been wronged in some way, and it comes off as bitter or angry to me as the viewer.

Agree. Personally, I hope she gets the wedding done and chooses to leave the show. I'd like to see who Matt picks as his new blame bitch making his life miserable. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

People website has a photo of a new barn that Matt said is being built for the wedding. So why did we see Amy, Chris and the two friends in front of the old barn?  I'm confused.

The new barn is still a work in progress in real time, and this was filmed months ago.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

To be fair, I don't think I'd be smiling if my fiance made a sexual double entendre about "poking" the woman my ex husband had an affair with, in front of my ex husband.

To be fair...is alleged by Amy to have had an affair with.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
Just now, all4mom2 said:

To be fair...is alleged by Amy to have had an affair with.

For the purposes of this arguement, it actually doesn't matter. Amy believes Matt had an affair with Caryn. I can see why she's not amused by her fiance making a joke about "poking" the woman who she thinks cheated with her ex husband in front of both the ex husband and woman who claimed to be her friend until her husband was free. 

Amy believes there was an affair. Chris is making a joke about having sex with the woman she thinks her ex husband cheated with. I can see why she's not amused. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Chris is making a joke about having sex with the woman she thinks her ex husband cheated with

He didn't say that.  He was talking about poker, not poke her.  This is getting out of hand. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, DonnaMae said:

He didn't say that.  He was talking about poker, not poke her.  This is getting out of hand. 

Thats why its called a double entendre. He was using one word to allude to another entirely different thing. By itself its funny, and clever wordplay, but I totally understand why Amy wasn't pleased. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

And this is exactly why I think the producers create setups like the deck scene.  I agree, they don’t give them scripts with lines.  It’s more ok Amy and Chris go over to see Caryn’s new deck, in hopes that something interesting/explosive will happen.  At the very least something that they can ask them about in the talking heads.  It’s one of the reasons Matt comes off a little better to me in the talking heads. He can joke off the uncomfortableness of the scene, whereas Amy IMO still perceives she has been wronged in some way, and it comes off as bitter or angry to me as the viewer.  Others I’m sure see the opposite, that’s just my personal opinion, and I don’t particularly care for Matt.

I agree here— the producers set up the scenes and they know someone (most likely Amy) will react. They don’t write a script, but they do propose topics of conversation.

I do think Amy’s emotions are evident in her expressions— the same with me—it’s very hard for me to be “poker-faced.”

• Love 3

Some shows the writers, and the reality shows do employ writers, do give the participants lines.  Honey Boo Boo was given selected phrases to use and sometimes had multiple takes to get the right attitude.  For the most part it isn't exact dialog to memorize, but they will have things to be worked in. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

That’s Matt’s garage for his new house… it’s shaped like a barn and has room for 6 cars.

amy and Chris are getting married by the same old barn as all the other weddings

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Some shows the writers, and the reality shows do employ writers, do give the participants lines.  Honey Boo Boo was given selected phrases to use and sometimes had multiple takes to get the right attitude.  For the most part it isn't exact dialog to memorize, but they will have things to be worked in. 

For Honey Boo Boo: "Show me the money."

For Amy: "That ain't happenin'."

Hope they're not underpaid for all that work!

• LOL 4
5 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

That’s Matt’s garage for his new house… it’s shaped like a barn and has room for 6 cars.

If you didn't watch the series, you'd think this barn was where the wedding is taking place.  He didn't say it's his new garage. ""Racing at full speed to get the new building finished before the Big day, @amyjroloff and Chris' wedding day," the Little People, Big World star captioned the post."

19 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

If you didn't watch the series, you'd think this barn was where the wedding is taking place.  He didn't say it's his new garage. ""Racing at full speed to get the new building finished before the Big day, @amyjroloff and Chris' wedding day," the Little People, Big World star captioned the post."

Yes and did you happen to read the comments?  Much like here!

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

He’s posted so many pics and videos of building his new garage he probably thinks everyone knows by now… he had videos of making the planks for his garage, pouring the foundation for his garage, choosing the windows, explaining the large timber’s in the roof etc… he even had a video of the small scale model of the garage before he started building it and told everyone what his plans were, how many cars it will hold and how it will be attached to his new house by a breezeway.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Joan of Argh said:

He’s posted so many pics and videos of building his new garage he probably thinks everyone knows by now… he had videos of making the planks for his garage, pouring the foundation for his garage, choosing the windows, explaining the large timber’s in the roof etc… he even had a video of the small scale model of the garage before he started building it and told everyone what his plans were, how many cars it will hold and how it will be attached to his new house by a breezeway.

His new home with Caryn that will frost Amy's pumpkin every single day including pumpkin season!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yes and did you happen to read the comments?  Much like here!

I notice that most people on Instagram don’t read…. They always sit there asking shit like “why a new barn Matt?” Or “will You be knocking down the old barn when your new one is finished” and on and on even though the original post explains exactly what’s in the video

people sat there asking over and over why he was cutting logs into planks even though he explained it in the video that the machine was cutting planks for his garage 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

When they went to Caryn’s, Amy was trying to put Caryn’s address in her phone and Chris said he already had it cover.  I think he had his car GPS programmed with her address already.  Amy said she wanted to know the address and he said something to the effect of Why so if I disappear, you’ll know where..poker at Caryn’s house.  I’m kidding, I’m sure she doesn’t play poker.  Amy gives him a death stare.  Chris then admits in his talking head he likes pushing Amy’s buttons. 

Half-listening Mr. IP interpreted it even worse.  He said, “LPBW is getting kind of raunchy.”  I was confused, but since he was only half listening, he thought Chris said “to poke HER”.  I informed him of what what said and he was like well that’s better, but it’s still weird.  I remember when this used to be The Learning Channel.

When Letterman did a remote show from Chicago he did a riff on Wacker Drive.  “Wacker?  I don’t even know her.”

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

ust a PSA here:  in the U.S., only a few states recognize common-law marriage, and in not a single one of them is a common-law marriage based solely on cohabiting, and there is never a length of time after which a couple is deemed to be common-law married. 

Just to add, since I was curious, Oregon doesn't recognize a common law marriage agreement UNLESS the couple has moved from a state that does recognize common law marriage. 

8 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Producer-driven seems to be the go-to when people want to believe things are other than portrayed.  I'm sure they suggest and even set up scenes, but they don't write the lines, coach, or direct; that's what makes reality TV the cheapest-to-produce and most profitable form of entertainment out there. 

With the exception of young children, I dont believe "production driven" means the producers are writing lines for the participants to say. 

Here's what I think production driven means. Chris, on his own, is unlikely to care in the slightest what Caryn's deck looked like. Production wants a scene where Chris and Amy and Matt and Caryn are in the same scene but maybe not the farm for the millionth time, and they can only force Amy to grit her teeth and invite Matt and Caryn to her home so many times. So they suggest Chris suggest the whole stupid "lets go see the deck" as a reason for everyone to film at Caryn's place. This doesn't involve giving Chris any lines, or real direction beyond "show up to Caryn's place", but its something everyone does because production suggests it.

Likewise, I am sure Matt had utterly no interest in having Amy's wedding on the farm, but it was production suggested. Another good example is that I am sure no one wanted to have an awkward weenie roast at the grandpa cabin.

Production driven doesn't mean "They were given a script to read", its what you said actually - they suggest and perhaps sometimes insist on certain events and get togethers, and set up scenes hoping to spark excitement as opposed to just filming these people living their everyday, likely not terribly interesting lives. 

Similarly

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 8/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, DonnaMae said:

I get these darn notices in last couple of days saying Matt Roloff off and  Caryn Chandler move up in their relationship and it basically says they’ve moved  in with each other in Arizona but will keep separate homes while in Oregon.  Think we knew that. . Big deal.  Then today It’s Mat  builds Amy’s wedding chapel and there a video of him riding around on his whatever showing the garage ( because chapels need garages huh?) and bragging about the wood he cut.  I don’t follow these people on Twitter or Instagram or watch their videos so have no idea  why I get these notices.  I would not walk across the street to see them or the farm and there’s a billion  places I’d rather go. 

11 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Just to add, since I was curious, Oregon doesn't recognize a common law marriage agreement UNLESS the couple has moved from a state that does recognize common law marriage.

Although the term generally used is "recognize," perhaps I should have said only certain states have laws that allow the establishment of a common-law marriage.

If a couple enters into a valid common-law marriage in a state where the laws provide for such a thing, their common-law marriage will be treated as valid by all the other states, regardless of their own laws on common-law marriages.  This is because under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution, states have to respect the laws and judgments of other states.

So while only a few states allow common-law marriages to be established under their own laws, all states recognize common-law marriages that are valid in the state in which they were contracted.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

What part is Amy yet again bringing up she should smack Chris in the face? Is that one producer driven too? 

Everthing is producer driven.It's not chris idea to get married and to act like an asshole.-Oh wait maybe it is.If Amy is that bad without producers than everyone is fucked.This show is one big clusterfuck.All these stupid ideas like rocks and shit can't be coming from Amy.-Oh wait yes they are!I'm just going to blame them both for all this crap.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

What part is Amy yet again bringing up she should smack Chris in the face? Is that one producer driven too? 

Pretty certain she was joking there. As has been stated she doesn't have a poker face and she was pretty clearly amused. 

I mean, if people think Amy was being physically abusive or threatening there, I'm just kinda laughing and hoping there's a lot more evidence somewhere else cause that was pretty clearly a teasing remark, imo. ;)

• Love 3

I haven’t watched this show in years, and because circumstances I mostly watched now from the last episode backwards about 5 episodes.

You can really see how insecure Amy is, and her agitation around the wedding increases each episode. Amy addresses her insecurity by trying to control everyone and everything, even to the degree of what she wants others to say.  It makes me sad.

And Amy’s behaviors really contrast with those of Caron, Matt and Chris, who all seem much more relaxed except they all worry about setting off Amy.

So Jacob and Molly aren’t on the show anymore?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2