Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, TerryeW1 said:

"When Chris said "45 minutes in the middle of the night..." I couldn't quite figure out where he was going with that..."

I think Chris was referring to the fact that there is little traffic in the middle of the night.  During the day, the trip would possibly take much more than 45 minutes due to heavy traffic at times.

Yeah that seemed the obvious interpretation.  Zach was trying to minimize the travel time and Chris was saying that’s not realistic during daytime heavy traffic.  So it may be 75-90 minutes under normal conditions.

• Love 6
(edited)

I took Chris’s comment about travel time in the middle of the night differently, though the ideas posted upthread make sense too.  With kids or seniors, if you have medical issues in the middle of the night, you need assistance quick. If you need to go to the ER with one child, you can get family to care for the other kids.  Having family nearby to help with young children is invaluable.  Zach and Tori are being silly, immature and selfish with their move decision, imo.  If you have to move for a legitimate  reason like a job that’s different.  But, It’s obvious they moved to punish Matt.  Zach nor Tori seem to demonstrate any real thinking power. Their talk about breaking away being a positive…..lol.  They sound delusional, based on what they have shown on this show.  I bet Tori’s family wonders what the hey is wrong with them too.  My prayer is to get them and their family OFF the show.  

So, what reaction did Zach expect from Matt about the move?  Didn’t Zach understand that Caryn and Matt were being POSITIVE about the news because of JACKSON!  It would be a terrible thing to make Jackson feel that they were disappointed, sad or negative about him moving.  They put Jackson’s feelings first.  I swear, Zack is very selfish.  He can’t emphathize at all. He doesn’t get it.  It’s quite sad for the kids.  

When Jackson was playing on the cul de sac, Tori mentioned his legs and said they were looking into it. So, when was that filmed?  Had there been any medical treatment for his legs at that time?  I’m trying to get the timeline straight.  So, this disagreement over the property was quite a while ago? Was it right after Amy’s wedding or recently?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I took Chris’s comment about travel time in the middle of the night differently, though the ideas posted upthread make sense too.  With kids or seniors, if you have medical issues in the middle of the night, you need assistance quick. If you need to go to the ER with one child, you can get family to care for the other kids.  Having family nearby to help with young children is invaluable.  Zach and Tori are being silly, immature and selfish with their move decision, imo.  If you have to move for a legitimate  reason like a job that’s different.  But, It’s obvious they moved to punish Matt.  Zach nor Tori seem to demonstrate any real thinking power. Their talk about breaking away being a positive…..lol.  They sound delusional, based on what they have shown on this show.  I bet Tori’s family wonders what the hey is wrong with them too.  My prayer is to get them and their family OFF the show.  

So, what reaction did Zach expect from Matt about the move?  Didn’t Zach understand that Caryn and Matt were being POSITIVE about the news because of JACKSON!  It would be a terrible thing to make Jackson feel that they were disappointed, sad or negative about him moving.  They put Jackson’s feelings first.  I swear, Zack is very selfish.  He can’t emphasize at all. He doesn’t get it.  It’s quite sad for the kids.  

When Jackson was playing on the cul de sac, Tori mentioned his legs and said they were looking into it. So, when was that filmed?  Had there been any medical treatment for his legs at that time?  I’m trying to get the timeline straight.  So, this disagreement over the property was quite a while ago? Was it right after Amy’s wedding or recently?  

If you are able to go over to Tori’s Instagram that kind of gives a timeline. 

They were moved into their new home during the last few months of Tori’s pregnancy. 

I have never understood why with all this social media the show is sooo far behind.  Yes I understand there is editing but I’ll bet they have more than enough to get the job done. 

Heck I don’t think Tori’s even pregnant yet in this new season!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Who cares if it's 45 minutes or 2 hours to Zach's new house! 

Hubs and I live in South Carolina and our son recently moved to Washington state in Roloff country. The opposite side of the country from us. Best case scenario is that we get to see him once or twice a year. I was not thrilled about it but he has a job that required him to move. So step daddy Chris needs to grow up and stfu about the distance. As if he really cares anyway. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5
(edited)
36 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

So who will do all of the baby sitting now?

Tori said her parents basically moved to Oregon just to be near them and would be moving back to Washington now, so I assume they'll be the new full-time babysitters...

Edited by Dibs
38 minutes ago, Dibs said:

Tori said her parents basically moved to Oregon just to be near them and would be moving back to Washington now, so I assume they'll be the new full-time babysitters...

I think her grandmother moved there too from California.   Now she has to move again too, I guess.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Endora said:

I think her grandmother moved there too from California.   Now she has to move again too, I guess.

Yes; they never would've made this move without a new "babysitting squad," although since neither of them works, not sure why they need one.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Dibs said:

Yes; they never would've made this move without a new "babysitting squad," although since neither of them works, not sure why they need one.

They need time to do things like remove a perfectly good pool from a house they sold shortly thereafter.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Could Zack and Tori have acted any more spoiled and entitled? They didn't get their way with the farm so basically they said we'll show Dad we'll take the kids away from the farm.     And Zack trying to use his kids as a bargaining chip by asking Matt how much it was worth it to him to have his grandchildren on the farm was the height of selfishness.  Matt played it cool and didn't whine and cry and beg them to stay. When they didnt get the reaction they wanted Tori said that's why we are moving.  Good luck to these two finding a way to support themselves when the TLC show ends. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Could Zack and Tori have acted any more spoiled and entitled? They didn't get their way with the farm so basically they said we'll show Dad we'll take the kids away from the farm.     And Zack trying to use his kids as a bargaining chip by asking Matt how much it was worth it to him to have his grandchildren on the farm was the height of selfishness.  Matt played it cool and didn't whine and cry and beg them to stay. When they didnt get the reaction they wanted Tori said that's why we are moving.  Good luck to these two finding a way to support themselves when the TLC show ends. 

Yeah Tori taught kindergarten and Zach had some part-time likely minimum wage job at a soccer facility.  Not going to afford a luxe lifestyle on that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

It's not at all unusual for someone who's never had certain life experiences common to most people, to think they don't need to have those experiences to be happy; they're content with their life as it is.

Then, if the opportunity arises for them to have those experiences, oftentimes they not only enjoy them but begin to depend upon them when they realize they fill a void they never even knew they had.

S23/E1 The Roloff Crazy Train - is that the episode you're discussing?

Here's the transcript of the discussion of Tori, Zach, and family's move between Chris, Zach, and Tori right after they reveal their plans:

Chris: You guys are really moving all the way out to Battle Ground?

Why? Why would you want to move so far away from us?

Seriously, with all the...I mean, even all your [Tori's] family's here. Why Battle Ground? That's so far away.

Tori: I think 45 minutes is like a healthy...

Chris: 45 minutes in the middle of the night..

Chris TH: Having never really had any kids of my own, never had the chance to experience that kind of a family connection. You know, I want to do a lot more of that, so I'm hoping that we still get together with Zach and Tori and their kids as much as possible.

Chris: What was the motivating factor [for the move]? 

Zach: Farm didn't work out. We weren't going to sit here and mope about it. We're not playing that game.

Tori: Plan B. What are we doing next. And this is our Plan B.

Chris: So what are the advantages? What are the plusses?

Tori: The property's fantastic. Brand new house.

Zach: Brand new 2018 house. Everything is one story except for the bonus room above the garage.

Chris: So if all goes well, when does this close?

Tori: We take keys on the 11th.

I'm confused because I can find nothing in that exchange which I can interpret as Chris "having a say in [Tori and Zach's] life choices", unless you think asking someone questions about why they're doing something - a friend, perhaps - is likewise "having a say in their life choices" instead of just being interested in learning why they made the decision they did. 

At no point did Chris say "You shouldn't do that" or "We don't want you to move; we want you to stay here" or anything remotely resembling trying to pressure them into changing their minds.

When Chris said "45 minutes in the middle of the night..." I couldn't quite figure out where he was going with that, and then it dawned on me. If one of their kids had a medical emergency in the middle of the night, with so many family members close by it would be easy to either drop off the other kid at a family member's house on the way to the hospital, or have a family member meet them at the hospital to pick up the other child.

Or, if there was a medical emergency with Matt or Amy - let's say Matt had a heart attack - yeah, 45 minutes can seem like an eternity when you're trying to get to the bedside of someone who may not make it through the night.

So I think that's what flashed through Chris' mind in that moment - and it made me wonder if he'd had that experience with a loved one at some point. Often when people say things that seem unrelated to the discussion, without explanation, it's because it was triggered by a sudden recollection of a painful memory.

Also, at no point in that conversation was Chris "whining". (I've raised a child. I know what whining is). 

The timbre of his voice remained the same; he did not raise his voice. 

Was he caught by surprise at their announcement? Sure thing. But being caught by surprise by an announcement of a major life change in people you care about and then proceeding to ask questions about that change doesn't equate to "whining". Or "moping". 

The questions sounded like Realtor questions, lol.

6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, what reaction did Zach expect from Matt about the move?  Didn’t Zach understand that Caryn and Matt were being POSITIVE about the news because of JACKSON!  It would be a terrible thing to make Jackson feel that they were disappointed, sad or negative about him moving.  They put Jackson’s feelings first.  I swear, Zack is very selfish.  He can’t emphathize at all. He doesn’t get it.  It’s quite sad for the kids.  

I saw nothing nefarious about Chris' comments.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

I didn't either just sounds like TLC script to me.He is still an asshole.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

I don't either. They were questions that anyone with half a functioning brain would have asked.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah Tori taught kindergarten

And Tori learned a lot from teaching kindergarten children. She's learned how to behave like one.

And then there's DumbDadNoSacksLazyZack. Likes to have lots of sex with brain dead wife. These 2 losers are disgusting.

They're both probably wishing Matt will die soon so they can live off their inheritance from him. I'd laugh for days if all Matt left them was a tractor. Not that they deserve even that.

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 5/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, ginger90 said:

They closed on the new house in October. Their other house sold in December. They were asking  $699,000, it sold for $730,000.

I'm curious what they purchased the new home for. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm curious what they purchased the new home for. 

I think I read they purchased the new house for $970K?  

Maybe I'm off a bit but it was around that figure.

3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I think I read they purchased the new house for $970K?  

Maybe I'm off a bit but it was around that figure.

Holy s--t! That's 250K more than they sold the other one for. I don't understand where all their money is coming from. The only scenario I can think of is that the money he made when he was a minor and on the show was put in to a trust for him and the other kids plus what he and Tori are  making for being on the show now. They have to know that gravy train is gonna end some day. I hope they are good savers and investors. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, 65mickey said:

I can see both sides of this family spat...maybe that's because my parents divorced when all of us kids were adults. I get Zach's disappointment at how things went in a "negotiation" with his father...he's not a stranger making an offer for a part of the farm...he's his son. Matt can't separate the two..and actually, some things he said about Zach in the interview were things a father shouldn't say about his son in a public forum, IMO. On the other hand, I get some of Matt's side. He feels that Zach never fully went "all in" in learning about how to run the farm...from the management side and the business side. I get that...all of his sons are basically lazy. They spent most of their childhood playing and goofing around. They were never given chores to do around the farm which typically most farm families require of their kids. So Zach just viewed the buying of that parcel as a means of living in a nice house and having some land for the kids to play on and explore... they both went into this meeting with their own personal power points which were never going to be agreed to.

Frankly, I think Matt was never going to hand over the farm to any of the kids...despite his claims that he wanted to see the grandkids enjoy it like his kids did. Now that the real estate market is a sellers market he sees his chance to make a profit in the sale of portions of it and he and his gal pal can ride off into the Arizona sunset and live well and maybe even buy a vacation place in Hawaii.

We can debate whether Zach and Tori made a hasty decision to move out of spite or a need to break free from the Roloff farm and family issues. But personally, I think it's a good decision for them. They need to live an independant life as grown ups. They may fail or end up being successful...time will tell. Time and love will heal all wounds and hopefully the grandchildren won't be  part of this drama for too long.

Edited by Hedgehog2022
  • Love 8
On 5/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, YupItsMe said:

Why, exactly, did they move so far? Was it for a job or to be near her family?

Job?  What job?  Neither Zach nor Tori works.  They're 'celebrities'.  That is their job. 🙄

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

They moved to Washington State basically because they didn't get their way with buying the farm on their terms so they took the kids away from Matt. It's akin to saying if I don't get my way I'll take my toys and go home. It was clear from their response to Matt not giving in to them that both Tori and Zack were majorly pissed and figuratively stormed off in a temper tantrum. And now they expect Tori's mom and dad and grandmother to move back to where they are living to be their baby sitting squad. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

They moved to Washington State basically because they didn't get their way with buying the farm on their terms so they took the kids away from Matt. It's akin to saying if I don't get my way I'll take my toys and go home. It was clear from their response to Matt not giving in to them that both Tori and Zack were majorly pissed and figuratively stormed off in a temper tantrum. And now they expect Tori's mom and dad and grandmother to move back to where they are living to be their baby sitting squad. 

I did think it was crappy that it seemed like they just expected Tori’s parents and maybe her grandma to just up and move again.  I mean maybe she already talked to them about it, but it seemed really really entitled.

• Love 10

Just woke up after a short nap.  Amy is feeding Matt chicken cacciatore ???? and he HATES MUSHROOMS?  AND she doesn't know if he HATE ONIONS???  What in the hell is wrong with her (at least Chris asked her.. she didn't care).  Talk about passive-aggressive.  lol

3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Job?  What job?  Neither Zach nor Tori works.  They're 'celebrities'.  That is their job. 🙄

I have to repeat.. JOB???????????????

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Matt made me laugh when he said that Chris is driving Amy around on a motorcycle while Caryn is pushing him around in a stroller. That was funny.

• LOL 17

Amy is a big talker when she talks about Matt giving in!

I'm guessing Amy is really angry at even the thought Matt might sell her old North side and double the money!  

Lol like Amy would sacrifice anything for anybody!  Cry me a river Amy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Does Zack realize how dumb he looked and sounded when he said that he really showed his dad up by telling him "No." And that no one ever tells Matt "no" and that it shocked him. Matt supposedly cut off 15 acres of the land that Zack especially likes and wanted. Then he raised the asking price way higher than he knew Zack could afford? And Zack comes out the winner in this game? I think not. Matt did what he did as he never wanted Zack to own that house and the land that went with it. Zack will also discover that no one really cares about your kids except for you...except maybe their grand parents. Has anyone given Jackson the stuff that Matt has, or babysat him like he and Caryn have? I don't think so. He will replace them with whom? Who will understand and accept Zack's kids like another little person does and will?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Zack will also discover that no one really cares about your kids except for you...except maybe their grand parents.

This makes Matt's several times repeated "I was relieved that Zach decided to not buy the farm" an interesting contrast.

I thought Zach meant no one ended the game with Matt before by refusing to play. I think Matt ultimately wanted Zach to "buy" the farm with Matt's terms and to be under Matt's control, doing whatever Matt says. Now in their own way, I think Molly and Jeremy have also ended the game of "who gets the farm" by no longer playing so Zach bragging how no one does this is silly.

1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Has anyone given Jackson the stuff that Matt has, or babysat him like he and Caryn have?

Love isn't about gifts. It also takes opposing sides to have a fight. Matt decided he wanted what he thinks is fair market value for the farm. Zach decided he didn't want to pay that price and moved to a more affordable piece of property rather than be in the same position Matt is currently in to Amy. 

Jackson isn't so far away that Matt - if he chooses - can't have a relationship. Matt still drives and whether its 45 minutes or an hour and a half, it's still an easy day drive to go see Jackson. Its not as though Matt has a 9 to 5 job. If he doesn't have time to see his grandson because the farm is too important.... That's Matt making a choice about what's important. Zach and Tory haven't said "Matt and Caryn can't visit us" - just that they aren't going to the farm. It appears this started in the Portland property where its a 15 minute drive if Matt and Caryn want to visit. It is also possible for Matt to do Zoom visits if he's going to argue that travel is too difficult. 

• Love 3

I thought the dinner together went well.  They seem to be getting more comfortable with each other.  Amy wanted to bust out laughing so badly when Matt was talking about the stroller, but she held it in.   Not sure if it is part of the script or not but Chris seems to really want to be “friendly” with Matt and Caryn.  Zach and Tori are annoying and boring.  Spare us the ridiculous little comments about Zach in that body suit🫣.  Their kids are not entertaining either and IMO not all that cute.  I thought Zach had a very bad back?  Wasn’t he getting shots and almost had to have surgery?   How is he now a weight lifter winning medals?  I do think it is good that he wants to healthier and stronger for his family.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Matt saying that he thinks it would have been bad if Zack and Tori bought the north half sounded a little like a guy who is turned down for a date and then claims he wasn’t attracted to her anyway.  Which is not to say that he was wrong lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Endora said:

Zach and Tori are annoying and boring.  Spare us the ridiculous little comments about Zach in that body suit🫣.  Their kids are not entertaining either and IMO not all that cute.  I thought Zach had a very bad back?  Wasn’t he getting shots and almost had to have surgery?   How is he now a weight lifter winning medals?  

That reminded me of Whitney Way Thore on MBFFL "winning" her weight-lifting competition or placing second when there were only two contestants or whatever it was; a TLC ploy.  Indeed Zach does have spinal stenosis and a herniated disc and now three (it appears) dwarf children facing surgeries he'll have to carry around at some point.  He was lucky that his reabsorbed with injections, but paralysis and surgery were looming, and Tori was freaking out about it.  Now he's aggravating the dormant condition by lifting weights and blaming MATT for the pain?  Please!  Also, is he somehow cheating on that weight limit by being so short (most 125-pound average-size adult men would be very skinny), and did he even hold that lift?  I saw him straining, leaning, swaying, trembling, the support men grabbing it, then Zach being declared the winner.  How about letting Jackson see that LP male role models "can achieve goals" by letting him hang with Matt who is amazing?  Or at least see Zach act like a grown-up, take his lumps maturely, and get a real job...

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dibs said:

That reminded me of Whitney Way Thore on MBFFL "winning" her weight-lifting competition or placing second when there were only two contestants or whatever it was; a TLC ploy.  Indeed Zach does have spinal stenosis and a herniated disc and now three (it appears) dwarf children facing surgeries he'll have to carry around at some point.  He was lucky that his reabsorbed with injections, but paralysis and surgery were looming, and Tori was freaking out about it.  Now he's aggravating the dormant condition by lifting weights and blaming MATT for the pain?  Please!  Also, is he somehow cheating on that weight limit by being so short (most 125-pound average-size adult men would be very skinny), and did he even hold that lift?  I saw him straining, leaning, swaying, trembling, the support men grabbing it, then Zach being declared the winner.  How about letting Jackson see that LP male role models "can achieve goals" by letting him hang with Matt who is amazing?  Or at least see Zach act like a grown-up, take his lumps maturely, and get a real job...

Yeah unless a man were very short 125 would be an unhealthy weight and the guy would probably have zero muscles so not sure what the record really means.  Maybe there should be an LP category since they are built differently.  Also it seemed like one of the judges voted red on the squat so he got two out of three.  I would think for a national or world record you would want all three judges to agree it was a correct form lift.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 3

I used to power lift. Two of out three is a pass. I always liked three whites but two means you did the lift.

I can't tell you from what we saw if the judges were being kind. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Lol like Amy would sacrifice anything for anybody!  Cry me a river Amy!

Exactly, Amy the ultimate hypocrite saying "I was his wife" when talking about how Matt should just hand people property because they're family was hilarious... I didn't see Amy handing Matt anything when it came to buying her out and he WAS her "husband" just like she WAS his "wife"

She dug in her heels and wanted every damn dollar she could scrounge out of the deal and I don't have a problem with that but then Matt should be free to dig in his heels and get as much for his property too!

Why didn't Amy help Zack and Tori if she's so into helping family, NOPE it's all on Matt... meanwhile there's Amy in her money bin like Scrooge McDuck.

She needs to keep her big mouth shut.

amyduck2.gif

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Hmmm I will have to remember the next time I have guests for dinner to intentionally put ingredients in the meal that I know they don't like. Wtf Amy? She still has so much underlying hostility towards Matt. I guess this season TLC put in the script that she needs to go along to get along with Matt and we the viewers need to see how deliriously happily married she and Chris are.  Chris needs to stop pushing the friendship with Matt and Caryn, it's annoying. 

Caryn has put on alot of weight. When she was standing in Amy's kitchen it was really noticable. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Hmmm I will have to remember the next time I have guests for dinner to intentionally put ingredients in the meal that I know they don't like. Wtf Amy? She still has so much underlying hostility towards Matt. I guess this season TLC put in the script that she needs to go along to get along with Matt and we the viewers need to see how deliriously happily married she and Chris are.  Chris needs to stop pushing the friendship with Matt and Caryn, it's annoying. 

Caryn has put on alot of weight. When she was standing in Amy's kitchen it was really noticable. 

Exactly, what's up with that?

You're having someone over to show your appreciation and you purposely put mushrooms in the food knowing they don't like mushrooms... "oh I chopped them up fine so he won't notice" ummmm NO.. how about not including mushrooms for your guest.

She's such a passive aggressive little shithead!

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Matt does seem to have a child’s palate.  For a farmer he doesn’t seem to like many vegetables.

• Useful 1

How about thanking people by taking them out to a nice restaurant and paying the bill?   I would much prefer that to eating Amy’s finger licking slop.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)

Amy putting mushrooms and onions in the food despite Matt not liking them didn’t really surprise me because I’m pretty sure she had ingredients Chris didn’t like in a couple of her IG lives or videos and if she doesn’t care about MY MAN to change it I doubt she cares enough to change recipes for Matt.

It was nice that she said she wanted to get past the negativity with Matt and Caryn, I don’t expect any of them to be best friends despite the bromance, but it’s nice if they’re at least not warring.  

I really didn’t think it odd Chris offered to be a tour guide because I’ve said I really think he likes hanging out on the farm and it was in the script and he might be good at it as a realtor explains different properties,  once he learns the scripts lol, but we’ll see if the bromance holds up if he does because we still need episode shenanigans for filler. Will there be silence and chirping like Zach’s tours. 😂 

Boring stuff with Zach and Tori working out….not really interested in watching a toddler sit on the ground and a preschooler kick a ball, but I’m also not interested in the weight competition…got enough of that on MBFFL.  Although I’d gladly watch both over Tori gushing over Zach’s singlet 🙄

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I really didn’t think it odd Chris offered to be a tour guide

It's probably just for the TV series.  Maybe it's to add some humor to an episode.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

She purposely puts ingredients in things for her current husband knowing Chris doesn't like them, Matt not liking them isn't going to stop her. 

• Love 2