Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

On 7/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, LucyEth said:

Sorry, but considering Zach's size he offers no protection for Jackson and I agree Jackson should have been wearing a helmet.  

Tori needs to be cognizant of the safety of the kids. Zach does some stupid things. She needs to stop thinking everything Zach does is cute. Zach is a little person with a tiny little son.  Safety is a must. Jackson could have really been hurt and Tori should get her head out of her ass and had J wear a helmet and make sure there were brakes on the sled!   

• Love 11
17 hours ago, AZChristian said:

According to dictionary.com, "punkin" is an informal variation of "pumpkin."

No results were found for "papparika" or "parmesian."

It is a nonstandard variation, but one sounds like they’re talking to (or like) a little kid when they say it, imo. The correct spelling and pronunciation is “pumpkin.” 
I’m not saying Amy doesn’t mispronounce certain words, but it seems as if Matt is given a pass when he does. There’s a “bitch eating crackers syndrome” in regards to Amy, imo. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

One of them is a college graduate with a degree in a field (Hospitality) requiring - among other skills - the ability to communicate clearly.  

It appears that Matt does not have a college degree.

Isn't "Hospitality" a two-year associates degree or even diploma program?  But still...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, all4mom2 said:

Isn't "Hospitality" a two-year associates degree or even diploma program?  But still...

She graduated from Central Michigan University.  They offer Bachelor's and post-graduate degrees.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

One of them is a college graduate with a degree in a field (Hospitality) requiring - among other skills - the ability to communicate clearly.  

It appears that Matt does not have a college degree.

I have a friend who is a medical doctor, so very advanced degrees, who routinely uses "ain't". I also used to know a guy - he's dead now - who taught astronomy at Cornell and worked on the Arecibo telescope and was all around brilliant. Never graduated high school.

All the Roloffs speak poorly. It has nothing to do with educational levels, it has to do with how much the skill is valued. In the Roloff family its clearly not valued.

2 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

My eldest sibling has a BS and a Master's degree in Hospitality Management from Johnson and Wales. Amy's degree is in Business with an emphasis in hotel hospitality. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I liked how Zach and Tori called out Amy's crap with the damn invitations and the save the dates. She was acting like they were a totally foreign concept. Her 4 married kids aside, she's probably been invited to a wedding or 3 in the last 30 years. She's acting like she's throwing the royal wedding... not a second wedding for a 60 year old woman who seemingly thinks she's a Disney Princess and a groom who would be more than happy with a low key event. 

2 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I graduated from college in Ohio in 1999. I worked in the office of admissions for my last 3 years. Hospitality Management was a 4 year degree offered. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Amy constantly used the "word" invites instead of invitations. To me, this sounds a bit uneducated for a woman with a college degree. Chris seems to speak better than his intended. Did Amy grow up with low household standards? Does anyone know? Her sloppy unorganized household, speaking ability and general appearance seem to indicate this to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Did Amy grow up with low household standards? Does anyone know? Her sloppy unorganized household, speaking ability and general appearance seem to indicate this to me.

I seem to recall in earlier seasons she mentioned that she was brought up with very high household standards (tidiness, etc.), and wanted her kids to be able to live in a "more relaxed" atmosphere.  She doesn't seem to grasp that there's a happy medium between a cold and sterile environment and living in a pig sty.

She seems to be very immature and unmotivated to compromise and do things that aren't important to her personally.  It is apparent in how she chose to (not) keep house when she had children, and is still apparent in her relationship with Chris' requests.  He doesn't like onion.  Tough.  "Chris doesn't like onion at all, so I'll just put a little bit in this potato salad."  He mentions that the house is not tidy.  She responds, "I feel like I'm back at the farm."  He doesn't think a big formal wedding is necessary at their ages.  Tough.  She wants "her" wedding to be "her" princess moment, and he needs to show up in a tux and just shut up about what he wants.

He seems to feel like two adults living together and about to marry should communicate their feelings and work towards a compromise.  That's a word that Amy has snipped out of her dictionary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Speaking of mangling the English language, anyone notice teacher Tori say of Jackson's behavior that they had to "nip it in the butt"?  

I didn’t. That’s pretty funny.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
Just now, ShaNaeNae said:

And Zach’s constant “Jackson and me”, “Tori and me”. 

He learned grammar at the knee of the college graduate who constantly says things like "Riding the motorbike is really fun for Chris and I." 

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

He learned grammar at the knee of the college graduate who constantly says things like "Riding the motorbike is really fun for Chris and I." 

Unless you're an English major, its entirely possible to graduate college without taking an English course. My school for example had required humanities courses for all majors but you could easily pick history courses or anthropology or what have you. Grammar isn't an indicator of intellect. Now, personally, I don't think Amy is very bright, but I base that off her awful decisions and her all around clueless nature, not her grammar flubs. Her having a college degree in business does not mean she's an English grammar expert. 

• Love 3

So the new episode is up!

We're at Zach and Tori's. Its Valentine's Day and Jackson is now Tori's valentine and there's crafts and its low key. But Jackson has a secret... well, mom and dad have a secret and Jackson can spell his name. But yes Tory's secret is that she's pregnant. Oh this must be sad to watch. Jackson wants the baby to be a girl and to be named Lilah Ray and its like the Michael Jackson kids! Zach is all "the baby is due at pumpkin season! Yeah this is kinda sad.

Off to Caryn's house. Her deck is done. Caryn notes that Matt's plan for the deck was kind of ridiculous and there's no pagoda or monolith. They're planning to hang out on the deck for Valentines Day... apparently the deck was Matt's gift. They smooch. 

At Matt's Chris calls Matt. Chris is all "wow, having Jackson over is kind of busy". Matt notes how they have report. Matt invites Chris and Amy to pop by and see Caryn's deck. This is awkward. Apparently Chris still hasn't handed in his guest list and Amy is doing everything else. Caryn apparently wants whatever Matt wants when they marry. Matt notes that Amy's wedding is now Chris's problem and its terribly snide for someone over his ex. He then notes that he's still involved with the wedding. 

At the farm, Lilah is a cute little diva and there are baby goats. Zach rightly tells Tory not to chase after baby goats because it makes the whole herd run and trample. Tory wants to hold a baby goat, Zach thinks she wants it for her insta. They discuss how  they love the farm but they also love their own house. Tory also notes the family drama surrounding her life.

At Amy and Chris's, they play shuffleboard in the man cave. Then Chris mentions how he wants to check out Caryn's decking and is Amy cool?  She's sorta cool but not really cool. She notes in a confessional that its awkward to go over to her ex husband's girlfriend/lover's house. Chris also thinks Matt is gearing up to marry Caryn.  Chris is also worried about not taking Amy *out* for valentines but there's a pandemic on. Amy just wants a card. Chris notes he's also getting flowers and has lots of time - three days! - to get a card. 

At the farm. Matt and Caryn are prepping for the wedding in August. In February, now, there's a lot of dead grass because Matt sprayed something on the grass... or rather told one of the workers and there was a "foo pa" - (this is matt mispronouncing  faux pas and he does not appreciate being corrected). Now they talk about the deck and how Matt invited Amy and Chris over to Caryn's place without actually clearing it with Caryn.  She seems annoyed despite saying "its fine with me". 

Amy and Chris's! Its the day before Valentines and they're snowed in and Chris still hasn't gotten his card for her. She makes him some sort of breakfast "a dutch baby" and then hauls out a photo album and they reminisce. There's endless love talk. 

At the double wide. Caryn wanders in and there's flowers. Matt then bitches royally about how Amy never appreciated his gifting her and yeah, he's so OVER his marriage as he rants about the ex in front of the new girl. Caryn directs him off his fav topic of Amy and back to Valentines Day.

At Tory and Zach's, they have a valentine for the parents that will imply there's three children. There's arts and crafts. I go to sleep. The toddlers painting lasts forever. 

Now they are at Amy and Chris's with their special, ultimately sad in retrospect valentine. There's a cute canvas that the kids have painted pink and red on and Amy doesn't notice the baby three note on the canvas but is super happy when she realizes. Tory is six weeks so this is an early announcement as well. They aren't revealing the gender or asking about the gender because they want to be surprised.  Everyone is happy. Then Zach and Tory take the canvas back so they can show Matt.... guys honestly you have two parents in two different homes, everyone needs a present.

At Matt's, we learn that Matt's house is a shoes off house. Matt also has the hearts pointed out by Jackson which is cute and Caryn hilariously looks at it totally puzzled and then is all "OMG".

Yeah, I feel bad for Tory on this one.

• Love 5
(edited)

Okay, I want to know why Amy put "married" in air quotes...

Also, love Mimi and Grandpa having to share the birth announcement canvas because there was only one.  Was that another "running out of hamburger buns at the cookout" moment?

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Her having a college degree in business does not mean she's an English grammar expert. 

You don't have to be a grammar expert to know your pronouns and how to use them.  I never went to college, but I learned grammar, punctuation, and spelling in high school.  It's pretty obvious that she didn't pay attention to the teacher.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, DonnaMae said:

You don't have to be a grammar expert to know your pronouns and how to use them.  I never went to college, but I learned grammar, punctuation, and spelling in high school.  It's pretty obvious that she didn't pay attention to the teacher.

We're in agreement - my point was that college graduates aren't more likely to be better at grammar. 

Hilariously Amy's complete fail on correct usage isn't a factor  when she does air quotes ;)

• Love 1

Well that was an annoying episode. Zach and Tori should never have announced that early, but I think that was done for the sake of the show.  So bad on them.  Amy and her man looking through that album at what appeared to be staged pictures, they looked like snapshots from the show.   The best was when she said she loves him the same from the day she met him and he basically tells her that doesn't make sense.  Amy's reaction, Duh, oh yeah, I love you more.  More rubbing and pawing by Chris as if Amy were his pet cat.  He definitely has a fetish!  Hope we never see a pet crate in their house.    That conversation between Matt and Chris seemed very chummy.  Zach and Tori are so boring their whole shtick is questioning Jackson, while Tori laughs at everything he says.  Bring on Amy trying on wedding dresses and saying Matt, when she meant Chris!

4 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

So "my man" is BIGGER and better?  Well, now we know!

Yeah, he's a big swinging Richard!🙄

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

I love how Zach blurts out out the photos are just for social media LOL ...while that’s probably  true...I’m guessing he loves the money Tori pulls in from these shills. Zach trying to prevent stampeding goats, Tori seemingly thoroughly confused, did she forget their last experiences with the goats. This isn’t must see TV. 

So all this yapping about buying the farm and nobody wants the farm...well besides Matt...and maybe Chris 😂.  The photo album looked like it had 10,000 pages in it LOL.  Where’s all the selfies?  Did production not choose those gems? Chris looks way better with the beard imo.  

Question, I might have missed it in the episode where Amy sells the farm, but does she still own any of the business like the salsa business (if that is real) or does it say with Matt or is it hers and fall under the little kitchen?

19 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Well you know being a bulldozer takes a lot of energy! 😂

Takes lots of garlic and paprika too!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Not to be picky but sometimes it depends on when to use “Jackson and me, “ or “Jackson and I.” At least it’s not “me and Jackson…” You're so right. Their grammar is atrocious. Especially when they say stuff like “Jackson and I’s relationship…”

Edited by zenme
  • Love 6

I noticed that she also said "oh brothers" instead of "oh brother". Little screw ups like that really irritate me for some reason. It makes me want to smack the person upside their head. Lol.

Yah, this episode was really bad. Snooze fest. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I love how Zach blurts out out the photos are just for social media LOL

This would have been quite a while ago, but I seem to recall a scene where Amy was going to have one of the grandchildren, probably Jackson, and a remark along the lines of, will you be putting your phone down? A dream? Does anyone recall this?

I mentioned that recently in a discussion about who babysits more (maybe on the Amy thread).  The one time they showed her keeping Jackson, Zach had to admonish her to stay off her phone and pay attention to the baby; this was in her early separated/singles' group/social "world"wind days.  Z&T came home from their date early and,  sure enough, there was Amy texting/talking on her phone...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

It's so irritating, why doesn't someone tell her!

It wouldn't make any difference.  Amy does Amy.  You just KNOW how many things she sees online about her mangling of the English language, but there hasn't been much improvement.  At least now she can say "parmesan" correctly, but she has to stop, look to the heavens, and silently mouth it a few times before she actually says it.

Changing one's behavior starts with the desire to change.  Don't see a lot of that in Amy.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 10

Surprised no one has mentioned Matt and his pronunciation:  ValentiMes.

How dumb of Tori to announce the pregnancy so early. 

I could never have a child with someone who is a little person.  The difficulties of life from the teasing, to the medical conditions, to navigating the world.  Life is hard enough. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

"Oh BrotherS"!

Oh yeah, this, too. 

Is Amy doing this on purpose or does she actually think the saying is with an S? 

Has no one ever said, why do you say oh brotherS when it really is oh brother? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Shauna said:

I could never have a child with someone who is a little person.  The difficulties of life from the teasing, to the medical conditions, to navigating the world.  Life is hard enough. 

Tori sees only "cute dwarf butts."  Like I said, la-la land!

• Love 3

I love the way Amy told Chris he needed to buy a card for her and actually write words in it.  Who does that?  Who tells their partner what to do? What good is it then if you TELL him what to do?  How about let them choose?  A glimpse of the years to come, Chris.  Hope you're up to it. 

Whatever does he see in her???????????

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
Just now, Shauna said:

I love the way Amy told Chris he needed to buy a card for her and actually write words in it.  Who does that?  Who tells their partner what to do? What good is it then if you TELL him what to do?  How about let them choose?  A glimpse of the years to come, Chris.  Hope you're up to it. 

If anyone told me that I had to buy them a card AND write something from the heart in it, I would tell them them to f*ck right off and do it themselves! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

If anyone told me that I had to buy them a card AND write something from the heart in it, I would tell them them to f*ck right off and do it themselves! 

See that's the big question mark.  Why does Chris take it.  Amy has so many minus it's hard to find a plus and I would also say the bloom is pretty much off the Rose in this relationship.

As the series goes on Amy becomes more and more combative.  She's holding back with her little smiles and rib pokes but the bear is real and waiting to come out.

Can't say Chris wasn't warned.  Amy LIVE!

• Love 11

She probably stands beside him as he's writing his undying love for her and tells him what to write. Then she can brag " look what MY MAN wrote on MY card!" "He loves ME so much!" ME, ME, ME. She is so narcissistic.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Shauna said:

This!

The whole idea behind a heartfelt message in a card is that the person wrote down how THEY feel about you, how much you mean to THEM, how much THEY love you etc..

Amy micro manages everything with her bossy ass personality…. Blech!!!…I’ll never understand what Chris sees in her other than all the extra money and financial freedom he gains by marrying her.

• Love 8

Chris punches back by passively-aggressively delaying the buying of the card until the day before or day of, and not even a little box of Elmer's chocolates this year...

It's the Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Roloff-Mareks!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3