Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

Caryn WANTS to move their relationships forward and hopes with each meeting it will become easier and less awkward; she said as much; "each step is going in the right direction."  She loves the kids and grandkids and wants family events happy.

So Matt is not abusing her.

Caryn isn't initiating these events. She's willing to go along because of her relationship with Matt but she very clearly said she was anxious and worried and was indeed drinking wine to settle herself. Matt also pretty clearly said he had NO awkwardness over it and felt it was Amy's problem to deal with. He did invite Amy to Caryn's house without asking Caryn first, which is inconsiderate at best, and very typical of his behavior with Amy - do it first without asking and then complain later when there is a bad reaction. He's treating Caryn the way he treated Amy. If Caryn is really a partner, she deserves the respect she gives him. Who wants to bet Matt is never surprised by Caryn over how she's invited his ex wife over for him to have a forced interaction with? 

Matt was also gleefully expecting Amy to explode in Caryn's home, and was "locked and loaded" waiting for it. Amy is definitely renting headspace with Matt, and he's really not interested in easier interactions. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Sounds like Zach isn't involved in the stool business after all since he had to ask (sorry; Jackson had to ask, showing off his verbal skills) Matt for one.

The stool business doesn't exist any more so that makes sense. You'll notice that wasn't a specially made stool but one of the standard ones. I'm willing to bet there's a storage area in one of the barns with the stools that didn't sell.

I'm more surprised the preschool didn't have little stepstools. Yep Jackson is a shortie but but there are average height toddlers who have difficulty in adult sized bathrooms. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, zenme said:

I think she and Chris have the right attitude. For the sake of the kids and grandkids, they need to know how to be around each other somewhat comfortably. 

Actually everybody needs to know how to be around Amy comfortably!

She’s like a firecracker. Never know when she’ll go off!

Amy is a big pain in everybody’s ass!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Chris has seen this other side of Amy. WTH keeps him interested?

Doesn’t he see what Matt put up with for years and years. 

Amy has some kind of hold or something keeping him there.  

I used to think it was TLC money now I have to wonder what is it???

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Zach and Tori are a snooze fest.  Week after week, the same crap, asking Jackson questions and getting a kick out of his answers.

OMG is that all they do? Sit on the floor and feed their kids lines: "Is that a crayon?...Is there a baby in mommy's tummy?...Is that purple?...Was today your first day of preschool?.."  God, so easy when you don't have a job to just sit and color and make gingerbread houses. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

She’s like a firecracker. Never know when she’ll go off!

It was by no means an explosion, but to your point during the beet salad video she got snippy with Lisa for basically saying that she will never agree with her because that's just the way she is!

• Love 4

Ohh Amy no rocks please. I’m dying of secondhand embarrassment. Hand painted rocks are indeed a thing, with people hiding them in public places for people to find. And I love that. But not as a wedding favor! Little jars of salsa is a great idea, or chocolate. Not clutter!!!!

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Ohh Amy no rocks please. I’m dying of secondhand embarrassment. Hand painted rocks are indeed a thing, with people hiding them in public places for people to find. And I love that. But not as a wedding favor! Little jars of salsa is a great idea, or chocolate. Not clutter!!!!

I wonder what Chris's suggestion was.  Did he ever get a chance to say?

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

So there are going to be approx. 150 guests at the wedding. Who is painting 150 friggin' rocks? 

I don't think just because you have to get along with an ex and their new squeeze that you have to visit their homes, drink wine and eat munchies.  Ever. Be nice at social gatherings that include the kids and grands and call it a day. That is all that you need to do. Of course all this visiting is for TV only. 

Does it always rain in Oregon? How miserable. A lot like Seattle I guess. I couldn't imagine planning an outdoor wedding in a place like that. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

So there are going to be approx. 150 guests at the wedding. Who is painting 150 friggin' rocks? 

Does it always rain in Oregon? How miserable. A lot like Seattle I guess. I couldn't imagine planning an outdoor wedding in a place like that. 

She might have to borrow Matt's farm employees to finish that task at the last minute, since he's supplying everything else for her.  Or is that Chris's job along with collecting and washing them?  Amy says "jump," and Chris asks how high!

I love rainy days and would adore Oregon's weather, but it makes planning outdoor events dicey, I'm sure.  Maybe that's why Matt's building the barn!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't think just because you have to get along with an ex and their new squeeze that you have to visit their homes, drink wine and eat munchies.  Ever. Be nice at social gatherings that include the kids and grands and call it a day.

This. Its perfectly reasonable and expected for grown adults to be pleasant at social gatherings, regardless of their back history. But there's no need to force awkward get togethers where you're clearly expecting "fireworks" - complete with plans on how you're "locked and loaded" to respond when no one really wants it. Caryn was clearly uncomfortable over the whole thing and her feelings *should* matter to Matt but if if gives Matt the opportunity to needle his ex, Matt values taunting Amy over respecting Caryn. 

If Chris and Matt really need buddy time, they don't need the ladies along for it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Did Matt needle her during the visit?  I must have missed the digs he threw.  I will have to go back and watch the scenes at Caryn's again.   Also, did anyone else notice Amy's obvious annoyance that Caryn's house is very close to Zach and Tori?  Amy is just so miserable, not sure why they even try to be cordial to her.  It has to be scripted, if there wasn't a show none of that would have happened.  She is only happy when she is talking about that dog and pony show of a wedding, when those two women are kissing her ass  or when she is trying to act like some sort of sex kitten with her old man.  Amy's signature drink should be lemon juice, bitters and a shot of 100 proof vodka.  Hard to take like her!

Edited by LucyEth
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I will have to go back and watch the scenes at Caryn's again. 

I thought everyone was on best behavior. All things considered, it makes me question Matt's extensive set up in the confessional where he went on and on and on about how Amy would blow up and explode and how he needed to be locked and loaded.... Matt sure set an expectation there, didn't he? Publically stating he was so worried about Amy's behavior that he was locked and loaded and ready for the explosion.... That, coupled with Matt intentionally arranging the entire meet up, sure makes me think Matt was hoping for some drama. 

Amy and Caryn seemed quite cordial as they discussed the grandkids, while Matt kept his mouth shut. Maybe thats why there was no fireworks and explosions for him to lock and load over. 

• Love 3

Matt isn't saying anything that other cast/family members -- including Zach, Tori, her otherwise toady GFs, and even My Man -- haven't said or intimated, that being that Amy "goes off."  At this point, it's simply stating the obvious...

Speaking of which, I'm just now watching the beet salad video in which she gets snippy with Lisa.  Are those hand-painted wine goblets dated 2012 that look like a preschool project some of the precious possessions she couldn't part with and had to haul to the new house?  So it's not just clown figurines and coffee mugs...

• Love 10

Did Amy go off? Did Matt arrange a situation where he made both Amy and Caryn uncomfortable simply because he wanted it to be awkward for Amy? I'm actually going to applaud Amy for not going off when Matt expressly set up a meeting that he intended to be "awkward" and told the public she was likely to explode and he was locked and loaded ready for her. 

If he'll do it on camera and describe it then yeah, I absolutely think Matt knows he's being a manipulative ass. I'm hoping Caryn wises up - he obviously values pissing Amy off more than he values Caryn being comfortable. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Quite some time ago, maybe a year or so Amy was out on one of her walks with Felix and she found a little painted rock… she debated leaving it where she found it or taking it home… she seemed like she really wanted to take it and add it to her collection of rocks but iirc she put it back where she found it so someone else would have the pleasure of finding it… I wonder if that experience is behind her wanting the rocks as her wedding favours?

The thing is Amy loves collecting rocks, especially heart shaped rocks so finding that painted rock really meant something to her but I don’t think it would mean as much to other people, just speaking for myself I might pick it up and look at it and then toss it back where I found it (or I might not if it was close to a pole or other area that looked like a great peeing spot for dogs) and I have friends who definitely wouldn’t pick it up at all and just keep walking.

Most people aren’t as enthusiastic about rocks as Amy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
Just now, Joan of Argh said:

Quite some time ago, maybe a year or so Amy was out on one of her walks with Felix and she found a little painted rock… she debated leaving it where she found it or taking it home… she seemed like she really wanted to take it and add it to her collection of rocks but iirc she put it back where she found it so someone else would have the pleasure of finding it… I wonder if that experience is behind her wanting the rocks as her wedding favours?

The thing is Amy loves collecting rocks, especially heart shaped rocks so finding that painted rock really meant something to her but I don’t think it would mean as much to other people, just speaking for myself I might pick it up and look at it and then toss it back where I found it (or I might not if it was close to a pole or other area that looked like a great peeing spot for dogs) and I have friends who definitely wouldn’t pick it up at all and just keep walking.

I looked on Pinterest at wedding rocks and some of the artist made ones are nice but I still wouldn’t want one as a favor. I did keep one cute painted rock I found at a park. I’m in the decluttering stage of life so if it’s not consumable I don’t want it as a gift. Although with A rock I guess you can throw it out in the yard!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Matt isn't saying anything that other cast/family members -- including Zach, Tori, her otherwise toady GFs, and even My Man -- haven't said or intimated, that being that Amy "goes off."  At this point, it's simply stating the obvious...

Speaking of which, I'm just now watching the beet salad video in which she gets snippy with Lisa.  Are those hand-painted wine goblets dated 2012 that look like a preschool project some of the precious possessions she couldn't part with and had to haul to the new house?  So it's not just clown figurines and coffee mugs...

Exactly everyone walks on eggshells around Amy it’s not just Matt wondering if she’ll go off like a firecracker.

she’s gotten very snippy with Lisa on several occasions and Deb too and they both know to just shut up, smile and make light of it to diffuse the situation.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly everyone walks on eggshells around Amy it’s not just Matt wondering if she’ll go off like a firecracker.

she’s gotten very snippy with Lisa on several occasions and Deb too and they both know to just shut up, smile and make light of it to diffuse the situation.

And don’t forget ‘wait for the next check’!

Believe me they aren’t taking Amy’s crap for free!

Plus they love being on screen…almost forgot that one!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Jeanne222 said:

And don’t forget ‘wait for the next check’!

Believe me they aren’t taking Amy’s crap for free!

Plus they love being on screen…almost forgot that one!

I noticed the wine glasses say "Roloff Foundation" and Amy says Lisa nags her to "make more cooking videos."  Definitely on the payroll.  They HAVE to smile and take it!

1 minute ago, MrBuhBye said:

Which she pronounced Cosmotolitan.  

After pronouncing it "Cosmetologist."

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Matt intentionally arranging the entire meet up, sure makes me think Matt was hoping for some drama. 

He's just doing what the producers want him to do: make some drama for the viewers.

• Love 8
Just now, DonnaMae said:

He's just doing what the producers want him to do: make some drama for the viewers.

Thats an excuse for being a manipulative jerk? Getting a pay check?

Does this excuse work for other show participants or just Matt?

When Matt acts like a manipulative jerk and orchestrates an event that makes his ex and his current lover both uncomfortable - to where Caryn was drinking to settle her nerves - thats not Matt still focused on his ex but just getting a paycheck?

Funny how Amy/Zach/Tory never get this free pass for their behavior, despite participating on the same show. 

• Love 5

All these phony get-togethers.  Matt and Amy are Executive Producers of this show.  They have no problem being together because it just means more dough for all of them. Reality my a$$.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

I guess Chris was being a "manipulative jerk," too, since he was the one who called Matt to see if it was a good time to drop in and even ran out to buy Caryn flowers when it clearly made Amy uncomfortable.  Grown-ups often do things that make them momentarily anxious or nervous for the greater good in the long run.  Only "children" avoid any and all discomfort for their own selfish reasons.

3 minutes ago, Raiderred said:

All these phony get-togethers.  Matt and Amy are Executive Producers of this show.  They have no problem being together because it just means more dough for all of them. Reality my a$$.

And then there's this!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I guess Chris was being a "manipulative jerk," too, since he was the one who called Matt to see if it was a good time to drop in and even ran out to buy Caryn flowers when it clearly made Amy uncomfortable. 

A seperate issue but I happen to agree - Amy has communicated very clearly that she is not comfortable with Chris hanging around Matt. Disagree on buying Caryn flowers - Caryn previously brought them a gift when she visited, and particularly when the situation is a little awkward, its better to display some manners. 

10 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Only "children" avoid any and all discomfort for their own selfish reasons.

Disagree. We don't tell abused wives they're being selfish if they don't go back to their husbands. Its no longer considered psychologically healthy to force people into uncomfortable situations. And its not selfish to not hang around people that you don't like and aren't wanting to be friendly with. 

When was the last time Matt did something where he was put in a situation where he was intentionally made to feel uncomfortable and awkward? Is he a selfish child for NOT seeking these experiences out? Because if Matt doesn't like someone or something, he leaves the situation. 

• Love 5
On 7/15/2021 at 8:56 PM, all4mom2 said:

I thought they'd been discussing marriage?  Of course they're going to wait until after Amy's "wedding" and probably until the house is built.  If Caryn is insisting on it and Matt's balking, I doubt they'd be proceeding with a house they've said they plan to occupy together.  And then there's always the conspiracy theory... I think Matt loves Caryn, and it's coming! 

How long has Caryn been divorced? Maybe they are waiting out alimony. 

On 7/16/2021 at 4:57 PM, all4mom2 said:

Tori seemed gutted to learn that Lila was going to be an LP; I think she thought "50-50 chance" meant that the second was sure to be average-sized.  She's still trying for a mini-me.  Zach just wants a soccer team.

I think she saw Matt and Amy, both little people with only 1 little person child and thought she'd have just as good odds. 

23 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

At Amy and Chris's - they are going on about who is being invited and how many people and honestly, Amy, he's asking for an actual number on your side. Amy is going with a handpainted rock as a wedding favor. I think it sucks, personally. Chris wants to do his own favor. Amy says no. Chris disagrees. Honestly the rock idea is so dumb, I think Chris is trying to save her some embarrassment. 

I think she's missing the point of the painted rocks she's found. The whole trend was originally Person A painting it and leaving it someplace random, Person B finding it and then taking it someplace else and doing the same thing. There are websites to track them. Amy's going to find a bunch of them left on the table or pitched across the farm as people leave. 

20 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Wow! A rock...a rock 😧. Well, I guess it could have been worse, I was expecting a free copy of A Little Me 😂

I was expecting her nasty flavored fudge with a label so they could order more. 

9 hours ago, winsomeone said:

What word was Chris helping Amy pronounce during the show? The way she sucked the batter off her fingers in the middle of making the muffins then continued on without washing them made me sick. Just nasty. I suppose the oven heat would kill any germs?

Cosmopolitan

8 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I'm more surprised the preschool didn't have little stepstools. Yep Jackson is a shortie but but there are average height toddlers who have difficulty in adult sized bathrooms. 

Most preschools have toddler sized toilets or stools, but Zach said the stool was too high for Jackson to safely stand on it. 

• Love 8

If you watch the muffin baking video, Amy says while she is baking, Chris was filming.  At one point he let her know he was calling Matt.  I think she said something like "oh brothers" and them something like she guesses it is better to get along than not.  It's all completely set up.  Maybe he should have gone there without Amy.  Just stopped by, had a drink with Matt and left.  

• Love 4

It was such a boring episode overall, production had to dream up something to fill the time.  So we get let's get the senior group together so they can earn their paychecks and if we throw the four of them in one room all the better to cover the bases.   Then they have the advantage of having the two couples discuss the visit and have yet more filler.  

• Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Is covering 80 percent of your yard with a deck a thing?

I live in Oregon like the Roloffs and yes it's become more popular if you live in rainy areas because having a lawn covering most of your backyard where it rains a lot is horrible

I have a very large deck and wooden patio area because I can enjoy my backyard a lot more than when it was all soggy grass for days on end while I waited for it to dry out enough to go sit in the yard.

I can fire up the leaf blower and blow my deck and patios dry and enjoy the yard.

Edited by Munchkin
spell
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

This episode was pretty boring.  Jackson needs a stool!  Lilah needs a purple crayon.  Tori and Zach need a clue! Matt needs flowers!  Amy needs a 150 rocks! Caryn needs a chair big enough that 2 people can squeeze themselves into it. Chris needs an afternoon delight (either kind to get him through the day).  Irate Panda needs bourbon straight and a rock to throw at the tv(rock may or may not be hand painted).

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Nobody has mentioned it but did I hear Chris, teasing of course, make reference to himself maybe being at Caryns???

Kind of like a jab referring to Matt sneaking over to see Caryn?

Amy had fire in her eyes. Honestly he was kidding but I think he’d love to visit Caryn some rainy afternoon!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, EllaWycliffe said:

If you recall, my theory has always been that Chris and Caryn are long haul grifters and secret lovers. 

I'm glad those who think Matt and Caryn are secretly already married or Chris and Amy aren't actually getting married aren't alone in their, um, "wild speculations"...

Mine has always been that Matt and Amy divorced just for the show and will get back together again!

• LOL 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Nobody has mentioned it but did I hear Chris, teasing of course, make reference to himself maybe being at Caryns???

Kind of like a jab referring to Matt sneaking over to see Caryn?

Amy had fire in her eyes. Honestly he was kidding but I think he’d love to visit Caryn some rainy afternoon!

Yeah, I asked about that comment upthread.  I know Amy said he was joking, but to me that wasn’t funny.  That would really hurt me and I’m not especially sensitive.   

Something Amy said that struck me as odd was when she entered Caryn’s house and said, oh, it’s so cute……no.  A 3 bedroom house is not cute. Cute is for a small apartment, kitten or boy in your classroom.  She has a nice home, imo.  I saw it as a dig.  Oh well, maybe, I am sensitive! 🤣

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

This episode was pretty boring.  Jackson needs a stool!  Lilah needs a purple crayon.  Tori and Zach need a clue! Matt needs flowers!  Amy needs a 150 rocks! Caryn needs a chair big enough that 2 people can squeeze themselves into it. Chris needs an afternoon delight (either kind to get him through the day).  Irate Panda needs bourbon straight and a rock to throw at the tv(rock may or may not be hand painted).

Oh my gosh Panda you’re on a roll!!!

that’s the third post in a row that had me howling with laughter… too funny!! I love it ❤️😋

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Portland has beautiful dry summers with low humidity.  

We typically average less than 5 inches over the summer months.  Our rainy season is mid-October to mid-May.  But March to May this year we only had about 2.5 inches of rain when we usually get 9-10 inches.  We are in the middle of a severe drought.

Before I moved here a dozen years ago I thought living in a temperate rainforest meant it rained everyday.  When we don't have a drought it means rain 7 months of the year.

I missed the rain this spring.

I don't think it will rain on the wedding.

Edited by PDXlulu
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

These painted rocks are everywhere in Portland.  I have neighbors with urban chickens and people leave them as offerings outside the coop.  At one point there were about 20 rocks with chickens painted on them.

It was interesting to check them out and I wouldn't take a rock home from a wedding.  I'd like to know what Chris would get.

Edited by PDXlulu
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1