Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

God, even cleaning up the rocks has to be her way or she plays a head game with him and shuts down, so when she doesn't get her way she blames him for being on his own his whole life.

She is awful. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
(edited)

Well, I returned to watching this show after some time away and . . . rocks.  Painted wedding rocks.  Wow.  It’s a cute Mother’s Day gift from your fourth grader or a sweet little memento that your eight-year-old niece brings you back from a camping trip, but as a wedding favor?  Not that attending a friend or family member’s wedding is about the swag, but I can’t imagine giving a rock as a gift to my guests as a grown-ass woman in my 50s.

I really didn’t like Chris when he first entered the scene.  In fact, I questioned his intentions.  He’s grown on me, though.  As I have grown to almost like him, Amy has become repugnant to me.  I gave her a ton of free passes back in the day when she was with Matt and up to her eyeballs in child-rearing.  I have no doubt that living with Matt was a special hell all its own, but when he rode his scooter off into the sunset with Caryn, Amy’s faults were highlighted big-time.  She’s used to being with a man who left all matters inside the house to her, but Chris is clearly not that type of guy.  He has my sympathy if only for the fact that Amy is so messy and disorganized and I would not. like. that. at. all.  Maybe you really can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but I don’t think she realizes how much more streamlined things would be if she at least attempted to get organized.  I can’t even imagine the amount of time she must spend just looking for shit.

As for Zach and Tori, I hesitate to judge parents because Lord knows I faced some challenges as a young single mom, but those kids need some structure.  When Jackson is acting out for attention and out of jealousy over his baby sister, there are ways to handle it that don’t involve lounging around and laughing at him or sending him to his room.  He’s at the perfect age where he can be made to feel like a big boy for “helping” his sister and showing her how to do things.  But what do I know?

2 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Oh god, now they are shopping for more rocks. I've got a degree in geology and I never cared this much about rocks. Chris seems to be coming around on it although I sense a certain amount of sarcasm. They aren't even nice rocks... I've mapped glacial striations on road cuts that were more interesting.

I don’t know why, but this killed me. 😂

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11

I seriously just imagined that music from the wizard of oz when the wicked witch comes along as Amy was walking along with Felix. Her energy is just so negative to me, even coming across the tv. That's her, not just editing imo.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Well, I returned to watching this show after some time away and . . . rocks.  Painted wedding rocks.  Wow.  It’s a cute Mother’s Day gift from your fourth grader or a sweet little memento that your eight-year-old niece brings you back from a camping trip, but as a wedding favor?  Not that attending a friend or family member’s wedding is about the swag, but I can’t imagine giving a rock as a gift to my guests as a grown-ass woman in my 50s.

I really didn’t like Chris when he first entered the scene.  In fact, I questioned his intentions.  He’s grown on me, though.  As I have grown to almost like him, Amy has become repugnant to me.  I gave her a ton of free passes back in the day when she was with Matt and up to her eyeballs in child-rearing.  I have no doubt that living with Matt was a special hell all its own, but when he rode his scooter off into the sunset with Caryn, Amy’s faults were highlighted big-time.  She’s used to being with a man who left all matters inside the house to her, but Chris is clearly not that type of guy.  He has my sympathy if only for the fact that Amy is so messy and disorganized and I would not. like. that. at. all.  Maybe you really can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but I don’t think she realizes how much more streamlined things would be if she at least attempted to get organized.  I can’t even imagine the amount of time she must spend just looking for shit.

😂

I couldn’t agree more…. 
I started off as an Amy fan but over time her bossy, bitchy, sour personality just wore away any fondness or sympathy I had for her and now I can barely stand it when she opens her mouth.

I’ll be shocked if this marriage lasts… so far I haven’t seen her give Chris his choice on anything… even something as simple and unimportant as wedding favours had to go her way and he wasn’t allowed to have any say at all!

The TLC money and fame better be worth it because every week he sells his soul to the devil and lets Amy have her way and she’ll only get worse once they’re married.

When they were first dating Amy was all sweet, talking in her fake little girl voice and she often gave in to Chris’s wishes but ever since that heart ring went on her finger she’s been a bossy little tyrant and everything has to be her way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
(edited)

I do feel sympathy for the parents who suffer a miscarriage.  It’s very sad and unfortunate.  

In light of tonight’s sad news, I’ll wait a week before posting my comment on my continued concern for the children’s safety.   Also, often kids act out over boredom.  Sitting around talking for hours is probably not interesting to Jackson.   They might should learn  his limitations and be proactive in preventing the behavior before it happens.  Engaging him with something to do might help.  It’s amazing Tori was actually a teacher of young children.

I thought the rock issue was ridiculous.  If my fiancé was so wild about this idea……I would seriously wonder about him.   At least the guests will be prepared for the rocks.

I’m sure Caryn did a good job decorating Matt’s place, but it didn’t like much different to me.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7

Maybe, it’s Chris who will pull it over on Amy…..after the marriage, Chris says, hell no, I’m doing it my way.   Then, it’s too late.  What’s she going to do about it?  She can throw a fit, but who cares?   More material for the show……🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, it’s Chris who will pull it over on Amy…..after the marriage, Chris says, hell no, I’m doing it my way.  

To a certain extent, I think he really doesn't care about the wedding so he's not fighting battles he doesn't really care about. I suspect the rock idea being so dumb is one of those "its so dumb I have to at least try to talk her out of it" moments.

I suspect the rocks won't get finished. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

After they were walking away from the rock pile at the landscape place....they show the EMPTY bucket, after they clearly showed them tossing many they selected from that pile in there??? Chris was carrying it and I thought it must not have many in there since he was holding it like it was light and then he swings it into camera view. It was just a pile of large river rock and they were still better than the "potato shaped" ones Amy ordered. They found some nice flat and heart shaped ones. What a bunch of staged crap! Amy all dirty from the pile...and Chris wiping her off....oh how cute!?

There is no way he will live in her messy disorganized home. I cannot see it at all!!!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

I just finished watching the entire episode and I can’t believe the childish emotional blackmail Amy plays to get her way… she acted like a 12 yr old, the silent treatment, obviously pissed off and making Chris feel shitty for simply wanting to do HIS part of the stupid rock fiasco HIS way… oh NO now the rocks have to be washed in May for Amy to paint them in mid June 🙄

I don’t know how he keeps himself from strangling her… she has to micro manage every damn thing and gets pissy if he doesn’t say “Yes Dear, you’re right I’ll enthusiastically wash your rocks whenever you want!!”

in some of the scenes Chris really looked worn down, frustrated.. and defeated… plus all this time I thought he was enjoying all the interaction with Amy’s kids and grandkids but apparently not… he made it clear that he’s used to a quiet, calm, organized home and all the noise, activity and chaos is hard for him to adjust to.

Zach and Tori really need to get control of Jackson because if he’s comfortable abusing Lilah with them sitting there who knows what he might do when alone with her…. Enough with the giggling like teenagers 🙄 time to let Jackson know who’s in charge and that kicking, slapping, sitting on Lilah is not acceptable and he will lose his favorite toy if he does it again… no more driving around the farm in his own mini-jeep or zooming around the culdesac on his scooter…. I’m pretty sure that would get his attention.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, seasons said:

I seriously just imagined that music from the wizard of oz when the wicked witch comes along as Amy was walking along with Felix. Her energy is just so negative to me, even coming across the tv. That's her, not just editing imo.

That's funny! I imagined Amy marching up the aisle with the same scowl on her face. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

Clearly there was now room in the budget to add a favor Chris’ liking. I would think she’d want Chris to be happy with the choice. She couldn’t just say, “I really love the idea of the rock, and would like to keep it. What would you like to do?”

• Love 11
(edited)
11 hours ago, seasons said:

I do wonder if Tori will forever wonder if this baby was the non dwarf girl that she wanted, so I do feel bad for that. 

She said she had a feeling it was a girl and a dwarf; also, "incompatible with life" sounds more like a dwarf than an average-size pregnancy; finally, there are probably ways of determining that now with DNA (not sure she saved it, however).  Is six weeks even considered a miscarriage?  Maybe the pregnancy test was a false positive (it was never confirmed at the doctor's office/by ultrasound, was it)?  Would there have been a heartbeat yet?  No children, so excuse my ignorance on the subject...

14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Was this the 2nd or third time Chris has mentioned noise and the kids?  It must be the other grandkids. Jackson and Lilah don’t sound too loud to me.  Lol

Jackson has a lot of......energy.  And Chris doesn't like kids which, again, why is he marrying Amy of all people who is a mother of four and grandmother of who knows how many before they're all done???

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

plus all this time I thought he was enjoying all the interaction with Amy’s kids and grandkids but apparently not… he made it clear that he’s used to a quiet, calm, organized home and all the noise, activity and chaos is hard for him to adjust to.

As someone who doesn't especially love children, I will simply note that those of us who aren't fond of little ones usually know how to remain pleasant and not flip out when we are required to deal with children. I've even enjoyed such interactions. But is it my preference? No. My point? Chris probably does enjoy the kids but he's also probably glad to see them go home.

4 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Is six weeks even considered a miscarriage? 

Yes it is. Also Tory was six weeks at Valentines Day, and miscarried in early March so she was around two months

5 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

it was never confirmed at the doctor's office/by ultrasound, was it)?

This has not been stated on the show or in any interviews

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, seasons said:

That's exactly how she used to walk into Matt's DW office in recent years when they had to confer on something.  Then she'd sit there with her boots on and legs spread apart and stomp out the same way, slamming the door behind her.  That's the real Amy; not the demure little female who can't reach things and needs "my man's" help.  Kind'a scary!  Obviously Chris is scared to death to incur her wrath.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

"incompatible with life"

This is a phrase that doctors use with women who miscarry across the board. It has nothing to do with dwarfism. Miscarriages happen for all sorts of reasons.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

That's funny! I imagined Amy marching up the aisle with the same scowl on her face. 

And poor Felix!  Why was he being kept on a short leash (hello, Chris) on the farm?  Why couldn't he at least have the opportunity to run free for once and play with his old buddy Lucy???  Guess Amy doesn't want them being BFFs, either, and talking trash about her behind her back...

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

This is a phrase that doctors use with women who miscarry across the board. It has nothing to do with dwarfism. Miscarriages happen for all sorts of reasons.

I'm sure they do, and I doubt if it's always a genetic or other problem with the embryo/fetus.  Probably makes the parents feel better, though.  

• Love 4

I thought the rocks were special to Amy, not something she finds rooting through a huge pile of rocks at a construction yard? And Chis never gives her way a chance? Give me a break there is no way to do anything but her way. Jackson has been out of control for some time now...he really is a little brat. As the mother of a now older handicapped son, she will soon discover that people for some reason expect handicapped children to behave better than so called normal kids. People may think he is cute now, but the older he gets, the more he will be judged and found lacking. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Now Chris is terrified of Amy?  I didn't see a terrified man last night. They seemed like a normal couple, if the whole rock thing was a little forced and dull, but terror? Not seeing it. Not from a guy who knows the girlfriend doesn't like her ex and goes out of his way to hang around the ex.

If Chris was terrified of Amy, he'd be yes ma'aming her on that point.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Now Chris is terrified of Amy?  I didn't see a terrified man last night

I don't think Chris is terrified of Amy at all. I do think he is hyper aware of the camera and doesn't want to drag out a fight because of the camera. He is obviously not a happy man.  What I see is someone continually biting his tongue and quite frankly looking at her with disgust when she starts with her attitude. I don't see him hanging around once the show is cancelled. I think he already has regrets but again will wait until the show is cancelled. 

Two grown adults in their 50's making a thing out of buying a tiny pet fish together? Just stop it. How embarassing. 

16 hours ago, TMI said:

Jackson is NOT cute, He is a BRAT!

Z and T continue to laugh at everything he does. They can't keep doing that. Does Z ever discipline him or does he just sit there with his mouth hanging open? 

15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m sure Caryn did a good job decorating Matt’s place, but it didn’t like much different to me.   

She had the interior painted a lighter color which look much better. Some nice new furniture in there, too. That's all I saw. 

• Love 6
(edited)

By "Chris is afraid to make Amy mad," I was referring to his pat-pat-pat routine when her hackles start to rise and his "now you're getting mad" remark.  I don't mean he's literally in fear of his life or even that she'll climb a ladder and slap him around, as she threatened last week.  All other things being equal, he IS still bigger than she is.  But I think he's a nice, peace-loving guy who doesn't like confrontation or conflict.  Unfortunately, the woman he chose out of all the women in the world to marry thrives on it.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't think Chris is terrified of Amy at all. I do think he is hyper aware of the camera and doesn't want to drag out a fight because of the camera. He is obviously not a happy man.  What I see is someone continually biting his tongue and quite frankly looking at her with disgust when she starts with her attitude. I don't see him hanging around once the show is cancelled. I think he already has regrets but again will wait until the show is cancelled. 

Two grown adults in their 50's making a thing out of buying a tiny pet fish together? Just stop it. How embarassing. 

Z and T continue to laugh at everything he does. They can't keep doing that.

She had the interior painted a lighter color which look much better. Some nice new furniture in there, too. That's all I saw. 

They had to come up with a scene in which they weren't "The Bickersons."

Could Jackson possibly be getting a bit spoiled with all the vacations to Disneyland and elsewhere?  I see on video they're on yet another today.

Looks like Caryn feminized the living room somewhat; it was quite the masculine bachelor pad before.  It's nice of Matt to let her do that to his man cave and to encourage her interest in and talent for interior decorating.  No doubt she'll be doing the same in the new house.  So much for control-freak, domineering Matt.

• Love 6

I didn't say he liked it, necessarily.  I said he allowed it and complimented her on her talent in general.  If he didn't like it and was still gracious about it, that says even more.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

When Tori finally asked Jackson to come downstairs (after 60 seconds??) she asked him why he was being put in time out and he said “for not listening” so it sounded like they have been through this before but not long enough nor often enough to have made a difference.  The terrible two’s!  

I thought Matt’s redo was nice and far less disorganized than before and I liked the brighter colors of the paint and furniture choices.  It was less cluttered. Matt seemed quite content in his happy chair looking around.  He praised her for doing it.

Amy’s bitch face says it all!  Chris’ face looked very annoyed to me and I think he would have gone further with the conversation had it not been for the cameras.  Amy always gets her way with the wedding plans we have seen so far so wondering why she basically said she felt challenged on her decisions.  She asked for his opinion then nixes them with her unhappy bitch face and cold shoulder.  The handwriting is on the wall.  Caryn and Matt get along much better than Chris and Amy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I would say by non complimenting it (liking his chair he purchased already) and clearly not looking thrilled, he was making his displeasure well known. Not exactly gracious.

It felt very forced for the cameras as well.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

So Matt and Amy were both ungracious. :)

Not really a surprise. They're both making similar mistakes as when they were married.

I see no similarity between Matt letting Caryn have her way despite his (alleged) displeasure with it, and Amy shooting down any suggestion made by Chris....no similarity whatsoever. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

I thought Matt looked very happy with Caryn’s redo!  He would not have given her the go ahead in the first place if he didn’t want it done.  He had his usual Matt smile on his face so I didn’t see any displeasure.  And he did compliment it saying she did a great job.   

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, Jenny8 said:

I see no similarity between Matt letting Caryn have her way despite his (alleged) displeasure with it, and Amy shooting down any suggestion made by Chris....no similarity whatsoever. 

Because Matt and Caryn are not planning a wedding. If and when they do, let’s see if Matt doesn’t steamroll to get his vision.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Because Matt and Caryn are not planning a wedding. If and when they do, let’s see if Matt doesn’t steamroll to get his vision.

No doubt Matt will want to have his vision of a wedding take precedence if he does ever remarry, not sure if he is into it as much as Caryn is.  I am remembering his plan for the deck on Caryn’s new house yet his plans never got completely put in place so he must have compromised. Caryn said Matt’s plans were a bit over the top or something to that effect, not remembering exactly.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

Amy all dirty from the pile...and Chris wiping her off....oh how cute!?

How ridiculous! There was a little pool of water there too, I thought maybe he would start bathing her in it!

14 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Zach and Tori really need to get control of Jackson 

That kid is spoiled rotten.  Not funny, not cute IMO, just annoying.

I think Henry committed suicide to get away from Amy’s ugly mug.

Sorry for Zach and Tori but I am not into all the drama. Matt and Caryn’s serious conversation.   Amy having to walk on the farm and then busting out in tears.  I didn’t need to hear the whole private story from Tori either.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Matt ran the farm; Amy ran the house and kids.  They both dominated their fields.

Now Amy wants to run EVERYTHING.  I believe Caryn has taught Matt the fine art of compromise and cooperation, and he has allowed himself to learn from her.

Chris, bless his heart, is trying -- so far without success. 

YMMV. 

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

I think Zack and Tori may have unrealistic expectations of Jackson’s behavior.  How long is it reasonable to expect a child his age to  quietly entertain himself.  Some kids may be better at it, but he may be trying to tell them that he needs attention for a reason.  Regardless, barking threats didn’t seem to be effective.  They need some guidance on how to teach Jackson how to control his impulses.  Sitting, joking, and talking ad nauseam rarely is helpful.  

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Sorry for Zach and Tori but I am not into all the drama. Matt and Caryn’s serious conversation.   Amy having to walk on the farm and then busting out in tears.  I didn’t need to hear the whole private story from Tori either.  

I'm sorry, too, but also knew Tori would milk that for all it was worth.  Drama queen and probably pouting about the two SILs being pregnant without her.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Some kids may be better at it, but he may be trying to tell them that he needs attention for a reason.  Regardless, barking threats didn’t seem to be effective.  They need some guidance on how to teach Jackson how to control his impulses.  Sitting, joking, and talking ad nauseam rarely is helpful.  

Sitting is the key word.  If you want a two year old to behave, you need to be moving.  If you want the kid moved, you let them know and if they don't move, you move them.  Sitting like lumps and talking AT a two year old is a recipe for the scenes we saw.  If you don't want him kicking the baby on his way off the sofa, you put your hand in place to prevent it.  When he play sat on Lilah, that's when a parent swoops him up and takes him to his time out spot.  When little ones know consequences are immediate and enforced, they respond much better.  

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Sitting is the key word.  If you want a two year old to behave, you need to be moving.  If you want the kid moved, you let them know and if they don't move, you move them.  Sitting like lumps and talking AT a two year old is a recipe for the scenes we saw.  If you don't want him kicking the baby on his way off the sofa, you put your hand in place to prevent it.  When he play sat on Lilah, that's when a parent swoops him up and takes him to his time out spot.  When little ones know consequences are immediate and enforced, they respond much better.  

Exactly consistency is important, you don’t giggle, threaten, then crumble and laugh when he acts sassy… he needs to know that their yes means yes and their no means no and that punishment will be enforced.

telling him to go upstairs then sitting on the couch giggling where he could obviously hear them and then calling him back down to play in less than a minute was so stupid and Jackson found out that he can be mean to Lilah, mom and dad giggle and he can play again in a minute.

sometimes I wonder about Z and T and their immature reactions 🙄

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I'm sorry, too, but also knew Tori would milk that for all it was worth.  Drama queen and probably pouting about the two SILs being pregnant without her.

Eh... five episodes from now when and if we're still going around on how Tory had a miscarriage, I'll agree she's a drama queen. This was literally the first episode post miscarriage - while I think she should have waited to announce and would have spared herself the grief of having to discuss it publically, this wasn't excessive coverage or drama queening. She also hasn't been ridiculous about it on line, and hasn't had anything unkind to say in regards to the SILs being pregnant. 

Agree that Jackson needs more discipline and less spoiling and hopefully the whole family will wise up about it. Jeremy was always treated like the prince of the realm and he didn't exactly turn out great. 

• Love 1

Tori has posted at least one image of a negative pregnancy test and conspicuously failed to comment publicly on the other pregnancies.

As I always say, YMMV.

We agree that announcing it so early was ridiculous.

• Love 4